Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)

22oz bottle into a Duvel tulip

A- Pours black with a tight 1 finger head that dissipates quickly. Leaves some decent lacing.

S- Wow...I can smell this thing from 3ft away. Big sweet vanilla and caramel, burnt sugar, and a little bit of a roasted malt character.

T- Follows the nose, but a bit more subdued. Vanilla, caramel, roasted malt, and a little bit of sugar-coated hop bitterness on the finish.

M- Thick and rich with just a touch of prickly carbonation.

O- Really tasty and a different take on the Imperial Stout style. I also happen to love vanilla so this was right up my alley.

stxSS07, Oct 04, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

a-pours a nice black with little head

smell-smells wonderful. nice sweet milky and vanilla bean smell to it.

taste-much better than last year's batch. not nearly as sweet as it used to be, this is much more drinkable.

mouthfeel-excellent body. not too thin and not too thick like motor oil.

overall-a great dessert beer. i love this during the colder months and it's just an all around well done beer.

southside, Oct 03, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -3.9%

I've heard a lot of good things about Southern Tier, so I picked up this, Pumking, and Mokah. Here goes nothing.

22oz bottle with no date served into a Goose Island pint glass at 42 degrees (as stated on the bottle).

A- Pour yields roughly one finger of mocha colored head that disappears a little too quickly for my liking. I prefer a nice beer moustache from time to time...Jet black color with some carbonation bubbles collecting on the sides. Looks okay.

S- Really unique. Smells of an extremely rich dessert coffee. Lots of vanilla in here, some cinnamon (dare I say). Smells like a birthday cake.

T- Just like the nose, it has a superb richness to it. Some cappuccino, coffee, vanilla. I say some, but what i mean is "up the wazoo". How much sugar is in this?

M- perhaps there is a little too much carbonation, but the beer is incredibly smooth for 9.6%.

O- Based on reading other reviews, I expected this to be a little out there in terms of originality and uniqueness. I've had nothing like this before, and while it's a really fun beer to have, it's not something I'll be going back to too often, mainly because it's extremely rich. It's a true sipper. Maybe it's just me, but this tasted more like a tiramisu than it did creme brulee, but I love both, so who cares?

jm1229, Oct 02, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

For my 101st rating: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVvwcgQpyqU

A & S: SUPER intense sweet and rich scents, smells like baileys or a cappuccino, cake batter. Can defiantly smell the vanilla bean. I can’t stop smelling it! Smells better in the bottle then in the glass. Burnt black colored beer, looked pretty thick when poured, but not after that. Heads is very weak, its has a tan color and fades quickly. The head turns into nothing about 2 mins into drinking it and leaves not lacing.

T & M: Very sweet upfront. It becomes more bitter as the sip progresses. I other aspects it like most stouts: coffee and dark chocolate are both present. Not much going on hops wise, but I don’t think it would work better with this beer. Butterscotch is also present. Smooth and then turns more crisp. Medium bodied, low carbonation. Very filling, and very hard to drink a full bottle.

O: It was interesting. I liked it for what it was and I would recommend it, but I don’t see myself buying it again, not only for taste but for price (8$ per bottle). Great for like a post-meal dessert.

minterro, Oct 01, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

I poured from a bomber into a snifter, deep black pour, nice tan head. The aroma is intense burnt vanilla, ton of sugar, caramel, oak. The flavor is super sweet, vanilla dipped in sugar, oak notes, alcohol hints, lingering sweet finish. The beer is medium, good carbonation, sticky sweet. Defiinitely a desser beer meant to be shared, much more than a 12 ounce pour is too much, would score higher if it is in 12 ounce bottles.

bonkers, Oct 01, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

22 oz bottle courtesy of YaKnowBrady, thanks! Served in a Snifter.

A - Pours a dark brown with a bit of light penetration and a solid 1 finger head. Retention is sold, very little lacing. A swirl shows some pretty strong legs.

S - Smells exactly like creme brulee. Extremely sweet dark sugar and vanilla. Wow, huge aroma that totally caught me off guard.

T - Hugely sweet. Again, tastes like creme brulee. Some alcohol is certainly there. Vanilla flavors really come through, and brings a lovely flavor.

M - It's alright. A bit hot on the alcohol, but the body is good. Low carbonation and moderate body.

O - Really surprised by this beer. Tastes great, but holy shit I'm getting a huge sugar rush!

dmsohyea, Sep 30, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +16.8%

poured from 22oz bottle into imperial pint glass

A-poured almost black with a 1/2" tan head that went away leaving just a small tan cap

S-Wow, upon first opening the bottle the butterscotch smell starts and it never stops. Once it gets poured into the glass butterscotch, carmel, vanilla, coffee, amazing is the only word that I can describe it with I guess.

T-sweet butterscotch with toffee, malts, a little chocolate and coffee, follwed with the biterness of the hops. As it warms I can taste the heat of the alcohol. Many levels of sweetness would make this a great dessert.

M-nice creamy full body with a sweetness that goes all the way through the finish

O-great beer if you are looking for something sweet would be even better if it was in 10-12oz bottle though, 22oz of this is just more than I would prefer but it is so good I am not going to waste any.

tvv375ia, Sep 29, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

22 fl oz, poured into a pint glass.

Forgive me father, for I have sinned. It's been two days since my last review. In that time, I drank beers that I've previously reviewed, and beers that I drink with frequency. I will atone by reviewing this beer.

It certainly looks like a stout, by God. Dark brown in color, an aggressive pour produces a 3 cm extra light caramel-colored head that holds for a few minutes before dissolving into lace.

I can smell it from a foot and a half away before even putting my nose to it. And now, beer actually up to my nose, I get all kinds of sweet smells, like butterscotch, vanilla, milk, could be a tempting beer if you're one for the sweet types.

And now, the moment of truth. It requires the patience of Job to not slam this baby down. Everything that I smelled is confirmed, as well as the fact that Southern Tier has a clear bent for sweet-tasting stouts. All the flavors play well off each other, and there's even a little bit of hoppy taste (a regulator) at the end. Pretty much what I was expecting, and I'm not disappointed.

Mouthfeel is good, almost very good. Full-bodied, well-carbonated, washes pretty well over the palate, lightly hoppy at the finish. Not bad.

Overall, a good beer. I would have this after a good steak dinner. Cheers, and God Bless.

bogus564, Sep 29, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +19.3%

Poured into a regular pint glass.

A: Almost completely black. A faint rim of beige head

S: Dear Lord, the best part of this beer. Smells of butterscotch and tiramisu from a foot away.

T: Sweet, I don't want want to know the calorie count on this fine brew. Probably just had the equivalent of a steak dinner after a bomber. More butterscotch and tiramisu. Can hardly detect the 9.6% ABV at all.

M: Creamy, light carbonation. Pleasant.

O: One of the best of the style I've had. I've sampled (far too many) beers, and this one is the first to prompt me to submit a review. You should try this at least once if you aren't averse to very sweet stouts. I'll probably try it several more times.

BigJimSlade, Sep 28, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -13.7%

Many thanks to Mdaschaf for the chance to taste this long time want. Poured from bottle into my DFH snifter. Pretty much a pitch black color, very little head. Not surprising for a beer this size. Smell- Worthers original! Butterscotch, a candy-like vanilla. Some faint coffee aroma. Vanilla bean prominent. This is the biggest candy smell I have ever had in a beer. Taste- like I am drinking vanilla extract with a Worthers in my mouth. Borderline overpowering candy. I think I miss the chocolate mocha taste I like so much in stouts. This one is 90% vanilla extract, 10% chocolate. I'm a little dissapointed...they could have done so much more with this beer. Its just too one-sided. I can see this be disgusting if it really warmed up (I opened it up out of my cellar at 55 degrees). This is just OK...not in my top echelon of Stouts.

lnashsig, Sep 27, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle I picked up at the Shoprite Liquors Hamilton NJ, into a Duvel Belgian Tulip glass.

Appearance: A thick, dark cola color with the thin beige ring. No head at all even with a moderately aggressive pour. Lacing was minimal due to the non-existent head.

Smell: Sweet vanilla bean, caramel, and butterscotch overwhelmingly dominate the nose with a small dose of coffee. Very candy-like in fact. As it warms, a quick swirl brings out a little booziness.

Taste: Very sweet caramel, butterscotch, malt, coffee and vanilla flavors attack the palate all at once. Mild hop bitterness near the end, which gets swallowed up by sweetness. What you smell is what you taste with this beer.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation with a creamy smooth texture for this overly sweet syrupy thick beer. The ABV is well hidden behind the candy-like sweetness.

Overall: "Dessert beer" comes to mind immediately. I'm glad I tried it but it was way too sweet for my liking. I give Southern Tier credit for stretching the creativity boundaries with this Imperial Milk Stout. With that said, I probably wouldn't seek it out again

cmq103, Sep 26, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a standard pint glass. From a growler at the Charleston Beer Exchange 8-27/11

A: Completely black with a great head with a lot of sticky lacing.

S: Very sweet dessert smell. Vanilla, butterscotch, some caramel.

T: Very sweet with just a tiny bit of hop bitterness. Vanilla, butterscotch and caramel.

M: Full bodied with soft carbonation. Thick and creamy.

O: I liked this, but I will not be getting a growler again. Definitely will and have got bottles.

drowninginhops, Sep 23, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

On-tap at the Oak Cafe in Wyandotte, Michigan.

This beer pours a solid black, with cola edges, and one finger of foamy, cloud-top head, which leaves a wall of painted lace around the glass as it gently recedes. It smells of caramel ice cream topping, and little else. The taste is still big with the caramel/vanilla sweetness, but also some graininess, bitter hops, and rather astute booze astringency. The carbonation is low, the body a strong medium weight, sugary, with a forced creamy body. It finishes with a caramel vanilla, vegetal hop character, with some booze close at hand.

Truth in advertising, if ever was - even if things sour a bit towards the end.

biboergosum, Sep 23, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured into a snifter.

A: Completely black with little to no head that leaves just a tiny bit of sticky lacing.

S: Very sweet dessert smell. Vanilla and butterscotch.

T: Very sweet with just a tiny bit of hop bitterness. Vanilla first and foremost, then some caramel.

M: Full bodied with soft carbonation. Thick and creamy. Just a tiny bit dry.

O: I liked this, but the price and the extreme sweetness make it a beer I won't try again. It was fun and interesting to try though.

SolipsismalCat, Sep 22, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: The beer pours a very, very dark brown approaching black. No light on the edges. This is one thick looking beer (almost syrup like). Came with a fingers worth of dark brown head leaving sticky lacing down the glass.

S: oh, WOW. This thing is amazing. Instantly you get hit with strong notes of burnt sugar, vanilla, butterscotch, sweet cream, caramel and chocolate. Its heaven in a glass. Very rich flavors as well.

T: Following the nose, this is a thing of beauty if you have a sweet tooth. Upon the first sip you get this burnt sugar taste, similar to maybe a burnt marshmellow? This is followed up by strong notes of butterscotch and vanilla. Also getting notes of chocolate, sweet cream, caramel and alcohol. Really rich and in your face beer. Its a tastebuds work out.

M: Thick, like a chocolate milk shake and super smooth. Carbonation is low, which I think is key with this beer. Alcohol present but not over thet top.

O: If I am ever in a mood for something sweet with a little kick, this is the beer I will come back to. Probably one of the most powerful smelling beers I have yet to have.

It was goood.

CaptainTripps, Sep 21, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

WTF? Poured into 16 oz snifter. A very black, with a tiny mocha head, that is short lived, with a little lacing. Smell is crazy, like it's stout family. So wonderful, the taste can't match it. Butterscotch & Bailey's. Amazing! Taste is is similar, but can't touch the smell. Very nice, but I wish a car air freshener or candle could replicate this smell. Body is good, wish it was larger, plenty of life. This is another beer from Southern Tier that you will never forget and as amazing a nose as I have smelled.

SawDog505, Sep 21, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured part of the 650ml bottle into a chalice.

A: very dark brown to the point it's almost black. One finger copper head that dissipated quickly. No lacing present.

S: an exquisite combination of dessert aromas greet you in this beer. The predominant smell is a strong, yet elegant, fragrance of vanilla accompanied by hints of caramel, coconut and toffee. The vanilla smell is simply excellent and unlike anything I've tried before.

T: this beer definitely pays a tribute to its name. It follows the nose beautifully with a strong start of sweet vanilla taste with notes of caramel and milk chocolate. Afterwards some malts are felt in the palate giving a slight coffee taste. It ends with a kick of bitter liquory sensation. This last part is not exactly my favorite as I feel that the transition from the smooth sweetness dessert part to the strong bitter alcohol is a bit harsh and doesn't have a good 'bridge' to connect the two. If it wasn't for this 'issue' I would have given the taste a score of 5. Regardless. this beer has an excellent taste.

M: smooth feel with low carbonation. This beer is medium to full body, leaning more towards the full body part.

O: what else can I say that hasn't been said in my review? This beer gets the job done beautifully and is a perfect option for pairing it with desserts. The vanilla presence throughout this beer is fantastic which is a plus in my case because I love vanilla. However, I can see some people having issues with this beer as it can be perhaps on the excessive sweet side. This was not an issue with me however, and it's why my review is full of praise. Highly recommended and will definitely go back for some more!

olimpia84, Sep 20, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

1 Pint 6 fl oz bottle poured into Trois Pistoles snifter. DOB 07/0(1?)/11 stamped near bottom of bottle.

Appearance - Light-medium brown head. Two fingered with a high pour. Medium low retention. Black body.

Smell - Strong caramel and cream. Very sweet.

Taste - Coffee with heavy cream. Mild boozy, solvent astringency throughout and well into the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied and somewhat creamy. After a while, the alcohol will strip paint off the wall. It is required to drink this with as much head as possible.

Overall Drinkability - Good beer, but the astringency ruins it in the long run.

ZenAgnostic, Sep 20, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Thanks to doughanson78 for sending this bottle in the tickers BIF.

A - Poured a black color with a brown head that leaves lacing behind

S - Very sweet dessert like nose of vanilla and butterscotch

T - Well this is about the most straight forward beers that matches its name its like drinking a creme brulee with vanilla and butterscotch dominating the taste with some alcohol in the finish

M - This beer has a full body with lighter carbonation to it

O - A lot of people I know don't like this beer because its so sweet however that why I like this beer I split the bomber with the wife and thats a good serving size of this beer this is a beer that everyone should try at least once

armock, Sep 20, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +7%

I have been trying the Blackwater Series with fantastic results. Picked this up in a local in a smokey, dirty pool bar, who knew?

Appearance: Poured a syrupy, layered looking chocolate brown with a minimal head. Came chilled in a pint glass.

Smell: This is one of the best smelling beers I have had. I have tried a number of vanilla bean added beers but this one is sophisticated and complex with straight creme brulee notes of toasted butterscotch, sweet cream, and vanilla custard.

Taste: Sweet, freshly dissolved granulated sugar with caramel chewiness and a firm hop presence that cuts off the sweetness in the finish and keeps you begging for more.

Mouthfeel: As it warms up the hop bitterness shines through and the caramel fades leaving the sugary sweetness to battle it out with the hops.

Portertime, Sep 20, 2011

Pour pitch black with a tad of brown peaking thru. A small light tan/brown head dissipates quickly without leaving much lacing. A super strong vanilla aroma hits you before even getting your nose near the glass. Let there be no mistake…this is the most vanilla filled aroma nose I ever whiffed. First sip has all the vanilla the nose had plus some chocolate, caramel, and roasted malts. There’s a touch of coffee bitterness that tries but fails to offset and balance the vanilla sweetness but is welcomed nonetheless. The dominating vanilla tastes pure like Breyers ice-cream. In fact if I had some Breyers I would drop a scoop in without hesitation. Body is a tad thin but still rather creamy and along with proper carbonation, mouthfeel is quite good. ABV is super well hidden. I’m glad I only have a bomber to kill and not a growler or a keg.

ATLbeerDog, Sep 20, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

I had this on draft served in what I can only describe at a small Weissen glass, an 11 oz pour was served.

A: very dark stout with a slight coppery head not much lacing on the glass. the head though small lingered for sometime.

S: wow! strong vanilla and caramel scent, sweet smell just like a creme' brulee or vanilla custard, very very heavy vanilla smell.

T: this is a sweet beer with strong vanilla flavor and cocoa/caramel flavors. it had a nice hop bitterness which rounded it out well. as the beer warmed it got a bit hoppier.

M: this felt thick on the tongue, probably due to its incredible sweetness. though thick it did have good effervescence.

Overall: nice dessert stout that I can drink again and again though I would have enjoyed a smaller pour as this is a rich and very sweet beer. you can skip dessert and just drink one of these, have a glass of water on hand to help relive the palate.

abeerlovr, Sep 19, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

16th Review – from notes
On-tap into snifter at House of Beer (Orlando, FL)

L: Opaque black. Minimal head (almost none) with a few residual bubbles.

S: Maple syrup – and a lot of it. Sweet, sweet, sweet. Hint of vanilla, possibly.

T: I want a huge plate of pancakes, bacon, and eggs with this breakfast brew! Hidden vanilla and nutmeg character, but mostly maple syrup.

M: Thick and huge, but not overbearing. Very tasty.

O: I really enjoyed this beer for what they are going for. It didn’t remind me of classic crème brule; however, it had a wonderful balance of vanilla, nutmeg, and maple syrup characteristics. Again, I’d like to have this with a proper breakie to round it out!

spdyfire83, Sep 19, 2011

I'm really surprised on how much I'm enjoying this beer. The nose is great!! Vanilla, brown sugar, black licorice, some Carmel and toffee...so sweet,sweet,and more sweet. The taste is sweet but not icky sweet! It starts out with vanilla bean/ ice cream like then I get like brown sugar caramelized sugar taste and it ends with black licorice. You must be in a sweet mood and if you are the will not disappoint.

2ndloveofmylife, Sep 19, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

Poured into a snifter. Dark and pitch black in color. Highlights are just as black, but I get just a sliver of light at the bottom of this. Head was barely one finger and light coco colored. The lace seems to stick now but we'll see. Does stick initially but fades quickly.

This is the sweetest beer that I've ever smelled. Not a bad thing though (at least not to me). In no particular order I get these aromas. Dulce de leche, Brach's soft chewy caramel cubes, those little yellow butterscotch hard candies. There is some coffee and absolutely no alcohol at all. Buried in a pile of sugar I guess?

Taste is at first charred wood or maybe the outer charred skin of a marshmallow that became that way over a campfire. All the smells I got from this, translate directly to the taste. Burnt sugar, caramel, butterscotch and maybe just a bit of vanilla. The ultra roasted malts also give me some coffee and some bitterness. I now know how I will become a billionaire. Make hard candy that tastes just like this. But wait, if you order in the next 15 minutes, we will include the car air freshener that smells the same.

Mouth is rich and luscious. Full and sweet to the end. This isn't your average Double Stout, by any means, but it does have the mouth of one.

Overall, I don't care at all that I am going to rate this beer way higher than the highly experienced raters. I think this beer is very sweet, but in my opinion it is not a weakness at all. This is what the beer is. Um?? Creme Brulee?? Ever eaten one? This is an exceptional brew, if you don't want an extremely sweet beer don't try this one. Thanks to davesway10 for this masterpiece. This one needs it's own style. Imperial Dessert Stout. All 5's there!!

azdback, Sep 18, 2011