1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

3.5/5  rDev -10%

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

I bought a bomber of Creme Brulee at JB's Bottleworks. $7.99. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours an opaque black color with a modest creamy brown head.

Smell is strong and sweet. It smells like cake batter. German chocolate cake batter. There are other sweet aromas, cocoanut, vanilla, and caramel.

Taste is a sweet chocolate and caramel flavor, vanilla with a mild bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and not particularly cloying.

A very drinkable milk stout, even at the high ABV. It would be great on a cold winter evening.

2.78/5  rDev -28.5%

A- Light chocolate body with some ruddy tinges of burnt siena. Not much head and no lacing.

S- A little too intense for me. Vanilla syrup, some burnt malt, and chocolate milk. Slightly off-putting.

T- Better than it smelled. Pretty complex mix of vanilla, chocolate, dried fruits, and even some detectable hop bitterness in the aftertaste. Extremely sweet.

M- Much thinner than expected. For the abv and flavors I would have liked a thicket stout.

O- Glad I tried it but unlikely to revisit it. Couldn't finish more than a snifter full because it's so syrupy sweet. Cool attempt at a radical beer though.

4.58/5  rDev +17.7%

Amaretto color, that is to say, dark caramel. On the nose, this is unquestionably a flavors of creme brulee high quality, like the one that could get out of a kitchen chef.

The mouth looks like that could give this dessert a liquor legend. There is a mix of burnt sugar, cream caramel and vanilla, all made ​​extremely palatable following the addition of milk (because it is a milk stout do not forget). Too bad the bitter end is not more true of stout and then maintained, and unfortunately, the beer a little too sweet.

But hey, it's still "outstanding" and unbelievable enough to be drunk - or rather, sipping - in the corner of a good fire.

1.73/5  rDev -55.5%

Aroma here is the sweetest I've ever smelled....by far. Nothing really can approach it. Strong aroma of candied butterscotch with a ridiculous amount of sugar. Wow.

The taste follows through, with a load of butterscotch, vanilla, and candied sugar. The mouthfeel isn't particularly thick, but it's certainly very sweet. Somewhat surprisingly (at least for me), there's a prickly, persistent bitterness that hangs around at the finish and creates at least some semblance of balance (though really, it didn't stand a chance).

Southern Tier is a brewery that either hits or misses. This is the biggest miss in their lineup. In fact, it might be the biggest miss I've ever had. The first time I had it, I wasted over half the bottle. The second time, I had a sample pour given to me at the bar and had to immediately drink water to get the disgusting taste out of my mouth. Complete failure, in my opinion.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

Review from notes.

A: Pours a deep black color with a mocha colored head on top, decent head retention. Some foamy lacing forms on the sides that reduces to a very thin layer by the end.

S: Wow, incredibly aromatic. Lots of sugar, vanilla, caramel, and a little bit of spice. Really does not smell like any beer I have had before. In a word, rich.

T: More of the same form the aroma. Extremely sweet, with vanilla, caramel, and toasted sugar. Rich and cloying.

M: Medium to full bodied, and filling. Rather creamy, but still has some nice carbonation.

O: Liked it more than I was expecting actually. No way I could drink a whole 22, let alone a pint, but with a rich dessert, this could be really good.

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

My wife wanted to try this one, so I was happy to share it with her. It pours like any good imperial stout, with a deep, opaque brown color and a modest ring of foam. This beer smells absolutely incredible, with an aroma of vanilla and caramelized sugar that is as close to actual creme brulee as I can imagine. The flavor is likewise dominated by vanilla and caramel, which isn't as pleasant as it is in the aroma, and there is also some earthy, dark roasted malts and an undercurrent of booze that don't connect well with the decadent sweetness. The texture is pleasant enough, with a light carbonation to help break up the dense, sweet flavor profile. In the end, though, despite the unique flavor profile, the distinctive, potent sweetness is just too much, and I likely won't be picking this one up again.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

22 oz bomber, served in a tulip, thanks goes to BA phichifiji00 (Chad)!

Appearance is dark brown, brownish head and bubbles. Delightful looking.

Smell is amazing... fudge, crème brûlée is right in the aroma, wow, caramel, sweet, cake.... need ice cream and I would pour this over it!

Taste is great. Wow needs BBQ ribs paired with it. It's a mix and match of everything but the kitchen sink... like a super bakery or restaurant is cooking up something special for you for dessert - this is it!

Appearance is full, good carbonation.

Overall a nice beer that is quite a treat, however, you probably only want 3, 4 or 5 oz... a solo pint might be too over the top. Nonetheless, quite an experience, really like the way the crème brûlée came through. Great beer to open and share with 2-3 others.

2.83/5  rDev -27.2%

Pours deep brown, and creates a decent head. The color is on the deeper side of the dark browns, but it isn't black. Head could be better given the milk stout nature, but still very good lacing and body.

Stinks of butterscotch and french vanilla. There really isn't much more here, milk and cream notes in the vanilla, but hardly much more than butterscotch and a roasted cream vanilla. This beer has more aroma than you can imagine. You really have to smell it to imagine. It isn't my thing for a beer but I have to give credit for this nose. It is just wow.

Thankfully the flavor here is far more bitter and complex than the nose. French vanilla is blended with hops, spices, and darker malts to create a very different beer than anything I've ever even begun to imagine before. I have no clue what Creme Brulee tastes like nor do I think I'll ever have any. This beer is just something else. I'm not sure if it is the Columbus or Horizon hops but the hop profile reminds me of moka. A very familiar stout flavor, extremely so. I'm not sure that the hops and sweet vanilla flavors are really made for each other. There is a lack of connection here. The french vanilla flavors should be the showcase, but instead the hops squelch the sweetness and balance things. This isn't how a milk stout should finish. Now I enjoy the hell out of some good hops and some spicy hops might work well here. Instead they have gone with floral and sweet fruity hops that just don't mix the spiced vanilla notes.

I really expected a thick deep syrup like body for this beer, instead this one drinks a hair thinner than expected. That said easy to drink but the flavor is a bit too much for even half a bottle.

I was told this beer would be an explosion of sweetness. I was told it would be over the top sugary sweet and more dessert than anything else out there. I'm instead getting an ok beer with too much vanilla for its' own good. I'm not really sure how to judge this one. There are so many ways this beer could really become excellent but it just falls short on all directions. Needs to be thicker, creamier, use different hops, and just frankly different.

4.97/5  rDev +27.8%

A - Pours a silky black. Possibly some deep deep red tones in there as well. Has a very small very tight mocha colored head that diminishes to a 1-2mm ring.

S - The smell alone won me over. I am getting Butterscotch, caramel, coffee, and vanilla. This is perhaps one of the best smelling beers I have ever drank.

T - As good as it smells. It is sweet, but not too sweet. I am getting espresso, some caramel notes, a very slight roasted barley bite but it is mainly hiding in the backround, not letting this beer become cloyingly sweet. Alcohol is almost completely hiddin. I am very impressed.

M - A great mouthfeel. This beer glides over your tounge. Very silky texture. Carbonation is medium low.

O - A am so glad I decided to try this one out. I am not dissapointed. I am planning to go back and grab a few more bottles to cellar. One of the best sweet stouts I have ever had.

4.9/5  rDev +26%

Wooow. No really wooow.

Look amazing with a black and red color. Along with a red color head.

Smell is strong with carmel and cream

Taste- CREAM. Creme brulee. It tastes amazing

Feel. Smooth smooth

Overall this is the best beer I have had this year. Instantly to my top 10 list. Love it.

4.55/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Yes, this is one of the more famous "love or hate" beers that one can find. The opportunity showed itself and I was there. On to the beer:

Dark as expected, but it does have some red colored hues. The lacing that it gives off is decent. The nose is a wallop of caramel and a shot of coffee. One thing is easy to decide, I love it!

Upon tasting it, I wasn't sure how sweet the taste would be despite already smelling it. It is sweet, but not SWEET! This is about as sweet as one could go without being cloying. Fully loaded with caramel and a shot of espresso and roast that lingers in the background. The alcohol hides itself well. It's medium heavy, and surprisingly it is easy enough to drink.

I'm a fan of Southern Tier Crème Brûlée, and proud to admit it. Don't like it because you think it's too sweet? Good. More for the rest of us. Afraid to buy a bomber in fear that it may give you diabeetus? Good. More for the rest of us.

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%

This beer has the best nose of any beer I have ever sniffed.

The smell is of candied butterscotch. I could sniff this beer all day.

The taste matches the nose. Butterscotch up front. Extremely sweet beer. Almost too sweet. I give this a high rating because it is delicious, however it should be noted that I can only really have this in about a 6oz portion. Anymore and it is too much. Perfect to split a bottle between a couple of friends. Great dessert beer.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

Southern Tier has really impressed me lately, and this beer is no exception. It's a dark, fully black, thick liquid with a dense tan head. Really remarkable - exceptional, really - is the aroma. The sweet, dessert-like aroma is unlike almost any other beer. I was afraid that the aroma would be artificial, with too much vanilla, but somehow this strikes a wonderful balance between the creamy, malted-milk qualiities of a milk stout and huge proportions of vanilla. It's intense, sense-grabbing, and fantastic. I love it. It's like a chocolate malt, woody-vanilla, and cream pie....creme brulee, indeed. Some toasty, roasty scents are present as well. It's one of those beers that you get a kick out of just sniffing. The flavor is strong, with a firm bitterness that provides some balance. Sweet on the lips. Thick and intense, but not cloying. Huge, hefty body. Spectacularly satisfying!

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours thick and brown /black in color with no foamy head to speak off. Looks like a flat coke basically. Very aromatic to say the least, you can smell this baby across the room. Aroma is of course sweet vanilla, caramel and condensed milk.
Sniffing through the sweetness yoy can pull out some roasted malts coffee and burnt sugar.
This beer difinitly has a creame burlee taste along with condensed milk vanilla and custard. As it warms hints of malts and coffee appear to lend a hand for that burnt sugar taste. On the pallette this beer slides down thick and silky with a warm, very warm alcohol presence.
Too, sweet really for anything other then a desert sipper, but this beer would work good in desert recipes too. I think this would make a fantastic ice cream too.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company