Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

I was looking for Southern Tier's Mokah, which I find is excellent, but as they were out of stock I ended up purchasing their Creme Brulee.

The pour was opaque brown/black with short lived head.

The blast of vanilla on the nose is like a warning shot over the bow. Tons of vanilla to follow.

The only way to describe the palate is decadant, rich, heaps of vanilla, sugary, creamy, toffee. Exactly like a creme brulee, I suppose should taste, but with a background of alcohol...as per imperial stout I suppose.

I was only able to get through about half the bomber. I recapped the bottle and the next evening I sat back down to take on the remainder. My notes show that the second tasting, after the bottle had been open overnight, actually went better, but man it's very sweet did I mention VANILLA dessert.

JackieTH, Jul 26, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured from bottle during Southern Tier tasting at Pat's Liquors in Porter, IN on 7/23/10, then again last night from the bottle while relaxing on my deck at home (one of the many bottles I bought while at Pat's that night).

As recommended, served right from the refrigerator, poured into pint glasses.

A: Very dark, nearly black, tan colored head with good formation.

S: If you were to put a wet Werther's Original under your nose, you would EXACTLY the aroma of this beer. Caramel with vanilla overtones. If you had someone smell this beer without seeing it, they would guess candy or cake, I am sure.

T: Tastes like it smells. Has the same flavor profile as Dekuyper ButterShots Schnapps. You can't really believe that you are drinking a dark stout beer. Absolutely amazing!!

NOTE: Once this beer warmed up, the alcohol was definitely present in a big way. I recommend splitting a bomber 3 or 4 ways and getting it gone while it is still cold.

M: I do not understand how anyone could remotely put this beer into the "thick" or "heavy" category. The only reason must be because they see stout and think that way. This is incredibly easy drinker with ample carbonation.

D: I would say that most everyone who has this would not want more than one glass. Like Choklat, it is extreme and meant to be enjoyed in moderation.

This is definitely a dessert beer. My friend suggested pound cake and berries as a pairing. We will try it and get back to you.

Spica66, Jul 26, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -19%

Pours dark black with little head and little lacing. Scent is very pronounced - caramel and vanilla. It was something I couldn't stop smelling just because of the uniqueness. The taste is of caramel, butterscotch, and then mocha. Very sweet. I find it somewhat hard to judge the taste since it's very unique and complex - but it's just overwhelming. It is medium-thick-bodied and seems somewhat syrupy, but this might just be a result of the mental association with the sweet taste. I enjoyed how unique this was, but it is not something I can drink a lot of, it's just too sweet and overwhelming. I was unable to finish a 22oz in one sitting.

strangefate, Jul 26, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Has a deep black color is about a half finger worth of head.

S: This has an incredibly intense aroma. The smell of sweet vanilla dominates. Can pick up a little bit of coffee, but it is hard to not notice anything other than the vanilla.

T: The front of this one starts off tasting like a standard coffee flavored stout. It quickly progresses to the vanilla noted in the smell and has a smooth sweet finish. Overall it is hard to describe this beer other than a sweet dessert beer. I haven't had anything like it before. It is good, but something I wouldn't drink too much of due to the sweetness.

ugaterrapin, Jul 26, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

I have heard great things about ST, and this only reinforces that. The beer pours black as night with some lacing. Once the beer flowed you can smell the vanilla. Now I like vanilla so this was really cool, but it was *very* dominant. The taste was a creamy vanilla stout. Just as advertised; the marketing spin on the bottle wasn't lying. Mouthfeel was pleasant. This was a fairly easy stout to drink. I could easily have more, and I will. Just be warned if you are not a fan of vanilla.

socon67, Jul 25, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

From the moment the bottle is opened the room fills with vanilla. And it sticks around. Once poured into my goblet the vanilla can be appreciated along with the malt and a lot of alcohol. I don't usually chill my stouts very much, but this one recommends a 42 degrees serving temperature so I will oblige. The head is tan and short lived, winding down to a bubbly ring of lace.

Taste is all vanilla and alcohol at the coldest first sip. Kind of disappointed. And the slight bitterness of the aftertaste is kind of counter-productive to the sweet sugars and vanilla. Going to let this one warm a bit. Average mouthfeel for a cream stout.

Warming helped quit a bit. Don't know why they would recommend such a cold temp for a stout. Never again, souther tier. Never again.

The alcohol has slipped behind the vanilla after a good 15-20 minutes of sitting in my glass with periodic sips. Still not to drinkable.

Might try aging one of these until the winter months to use as a sweet winter warmer.

blivingston1985, Jul 25, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +14.4%

A- Dark as the midnight sun, with a tan head,

S- WOW! there is some vanilla! caramel. Smells like cake honestly

T- creme, maple, vanilla, like a creme brulee from Butterwoods (all in the WNY region know this place)

M- Thick, viscous, heavy

D- one of these after dinner would satiate you

I rate this beer rather high, and I think it is fantastic, I understand if people do not like it, but wow, this is definitely an "imperial" milk stout.

jfro, Jul 19, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Having this offering from souther tier for the first time, passed by it a few times in the past few weeks and finally decided to try it.

This beer definatly matches its name

A: Dark in color as you would expect, not to much carbonation or head to speak of, just a half of a finger for no more than a minute.

S: This is where i feel the beer lives up to its name, huge smells of caramel coming though here, syripy and definatly a desert comes to mind when smelling it

T: Taste matches the smell with caramel notes being the most up front to me along with coffee and a mocha taste too.

M: Mouthfeel was down the middle to me, not to think not to thin, pretty smooth going down

D: I found it to be very drinkable, but i can see after haveing more than a couple getting the same feeling you do after eating to much cake, like a sweet overload, but other than that i enjoyed this beer very much

mmtroop1218, Jul 17, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +8%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

I do so enjoy beers that stay true to their names. This 'un pours a straight obsidian topped by a finger or so of light tan foam. The nose is a dessert in its own right, comprising buttercream frosting, vanilla, cane sugar, chocolate syrup, maple syrup, molasses, sweet toffee, powdered sugar, and a vague sense of french toast or funnel cake. You know, sweet breads and whatnot. If I could literally eat smells, this would near the top of my list in terms of desireability. Happily intrigued, a taste must be had. A lot of the sweeter notes are still there, but are subdued, allowing some light roasted malts to come through, ensuring a more well-rounded, if somewhat weaker, tasting experience. The body is a rather hefty medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a rich, velevety feel. Damn, I enjoy this brew. Even better, the smell tends to linger in my apartment, allowing me to enjoy its sweet, sweet smell for a few days hence. Good times.

TMoney2591, Jul 15, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance: Jet black, opaque and a little thick looking. Topped with a thin, bubbly mocha colored head that quickly dissipates, leaving a ring around the top of the beer

Aroma: You can smell this as soon as you pour it, and man, does it smell good! It really does smell like legit crème brulee. The first thing that hits your nose is that delicious burnt sugar that you find on top of the desert. It's carmelly and sweet with some notes of vanilla in the background. Underneath that, you can pick up hints of coffee and maybe some roasted malts. Awesome.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Mmm. The taste is pretty spot on to the nose. Vanilla, burnt sugar, caramel, dried fruit, roasted coffee and malts follow each other in this delicious medley of flavors and finish in a slightly bitter, burnt aftertaste. This beer is soooo good. It tastes like desert, but not in a cloying or overpowering way. Granted, I have a sweet tooth, but man. Delicious. The mouth feel is medium and possibly a little chewy. It's not super carbonated at all... If I had any complaint, it would be that this beer isn't creamy enough. By no means is it thin, but I feel like a beer as delectable as this one should be super creamy and thick. But that could be just me.

Notes: This is GOOD beer. The only problem is, as far as drinkability goes, it just has too much flavor. I'm trying to make my way through a bomber (done with half) and I'm getting a little overwhelmed. Kind of like... I'll eat one crème brulee happily, I'll even dig into the second one with a smile on my face... but half way through that second desert, man, I'm full.

seh410, Jul 14, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -1%

Another great buy. This is so good. This is like the Mokah, but with the Milk or dairy added lol. This reminds me of some of the other milk stouts out there like Farons Lacto Milk Stout which is pretty good, but this takes the cake... it's like drinking a dessert out of a bottle such a great find. This is a good beer to take home.

Pours a nice rich dark body, intense nose of coffee, chocolate, tiramisu, and dairy... yum.

StevenBilodeau, Jul 14, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

Had a 4oz draft sample of this last night and honestly I cannot believe that this was even beer. It more or less tasted like liquified cheesecake or tiramisu. There was a heavy cream taste with strong hints of cocoa and coffee. The alcohol is almost undetectable and the taste really is a lot more like Kaluha than anything else. Nonetheless this sample was more than enough for I would not want more. It is the a good dessert beer but if anyone can seriously take more than this down they must have a real sweet tooth.

beerhan, Jul 14, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +27.8%

Big thanks to wchesak for this bottle!!!

Popped that cap and went in for a smell... It brought a huge smile to my face. Huge smell of vanilla and bready sweetness. Like there is a donut shop inside the bottle!.

Pours a dark black. with some head forming.

The mouthfeel is so creamy and chewy.

The taste is just outstanding. Just like the nose. Vanilla, sugar, bready dough yumminess!!! Wish I had some dessert to go along with this.

By far one of my favorite beers I have ever had.

Living in san diego... this is going to be a constant want!

pastradul, Jul 12, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -29.8%

Poured into a pint glass. From a 22oz bomber.

A - Pours a dark brown color with a minimal tan colored head that is pretty thin and recedes quick to a thin mat.

S - Very very sweet caramel aroma. Exactly like the name suggests. Some mild vanilla spice and boozyness but overall just tons of sweetness.

T - Extremely sweet! too much for me in terms of sweetness. Caramel, brown sugar and some boozyness.

M & D - Medium body. Not complex at all. Unbalanced too much on the sweet side. Not a repeat for me.

JoEBoBpr, Jul 11, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

poured 22 ounce bottle to snifter

A: black, no head

S: rich carmel, vanilla

T: rich rich rich, one small glass then it started to make me sick.

M: thick full body

D: i could only drink one 10 ounce snifter of this then I had to blend the rest with old rasuputin.

fastsrt, Jul 11, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -1%

Poured from 22oz bottle into 400ml New Belgium tulip glass.

Appearance: Black in color with a small, thin tanned head that dissipates quickly and leaves a pretty thick lace behind.

Smell: Lots of vanilla, with a roasted malt and caramel background.

Taste: Begins with roasted sweetness, finishing with strong vanilla and caramel flavors alongside a coffee bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Thick, smooth, creamy body with light carbonation and a dry finish.

Drinkability: This beer could use a bit less vanilla, but other than that it's good and definitely has its place with dessert. Worth a try.

Mosstrooper, Jul 07, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Reviewed from notes.
Original tasting: 12/25/2009

22 oz. bottle into glass pint.
55°F

$7.99 / ea.

S: Powerful vanilla, caramel, and coffee notes. Blew me away. The scent is rich and thick.

A: Clear dark brown body with a small creamy head that dissipates quickly leaving little to no lacing and a wispy cover. Large amounts of residual sugar leaves legs upon swirling.

T: Again, a powerful vanilla coffee flavor with hints of sweet caramel and toffee. A lot like a fancy iced coffee. Hop flavors are subdued and only make a brief appearance at the very end.

M: Medium body with medium carbonation. Bitter bite on the back side that lingers. Bite on front of the tongue and a bit creamy.

D: Great desert drink that goes down quite easy. A couple things drag it down. First, it is a bit 10% abv. stout, so obviously you can't put them away too quickly or for too long. Second, the taste, while a definite treat can grow old quickly.

O: Great conversation beer, especially over the holidays when it can be shared with casual beer drinkers. This brew will no doubt leave a lasting impression.

dpnelson1978, Jul 05, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

This beer pours pretty much completely opaque with a bit of dark brown showing around the edges. It carries a pretty average looking mocha head. The aroma is incredible. Vanilla and caramelized sugar hit you smack in the face. Extremely sweet nose that also carries just a hint of chocolate, but not really any roastyness. It really does smell like crème' Brulee' . Taking a sip reveals a beer that has a lot more going on. Still plenty of vanilla and caramel flavor, but also a chalky chocolate flavor that is not present in the namesake dessert, but works well with the other flavors. This is an extremely sweet beer, but unlike other cloyingly sweet stouts, it really seems to work here. Not picking up any hops at all, but there is an interesting sort of coconut flavor in there. I have to say, this much tastier than I was expecting. The body is quite full and sticky without the smoothness that often times help such sweet beers. It is not that bad though and I don't think it detracts too much. This is definitely a dessert beer, and is very drinkable when keeping that in mind. I cannot detect a hint of alcohol either. They say this is one of those polarizing beers. If so, you will find me stuck to the positive end.

zoso1967, Jul 05, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

A- dark brown, but can see through it on the pour. has a pretty cascading head though, and stays thick, light brown head.

S- The vanilla dominates, with a milky creamy smell as well. some kind of spice come through, and a very distinguished malty profile. really smells good, enjoying it a lot

T- Vanilla again, and roasty milky malt (almost like a whopper). a little more coffee comes out now than in the smell. also a little metallic taste, especially at the colder end of the glass, a little like burnt coffee. very sweet the whole time

M- decent, but a little thin for my taste. pretty silky, not too bad.

D- actually really good, enjoyed drinking the entire thing, and could have more!really balances pretty well.

ridglens, Jul 03, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -14.4%

A - Black. No head and very little lacing. Not quite what I was expecting for an imperial stout.

S - Very unique and delicious. This beer's aroma is definitely it's strongest attribute. Caramel, vanilla, sugar, and booze. Wonderful.

T - Very sweet - perhaps just a tad too much here. Vanilla, caramel, booze, and more caramel. That's about it. The taste is delicious, but really is pretty simple. Not many layers. No hops. No classic malts.

M - Good. Nice and thick, which is what you would expect for a decent imperial stout.

D - Not a whole lot here. It's taken me about 45 minutes to get past half the bomber, and I think that's about as far as I'll get tonight. A very tasty and very interesting and unique beer, but certainly not very drinkable.

airohead2001, Jul 03, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +1%

A: Pours a thick, black viscous liquid that leaves a massive khaki head with a good amount of lacing. Good looking stout.

S: Vanilla and some toffee sweetness hits the nose. I can tell from just the smell, this one will be potent, both in terms of taste and alcohol.

T: Sweet vanilla, molasses, toffee, coffee. It's like a liquid vanilla syrup pancake. It nearly crosses the line of becoming cloying, but doesn't quite overdo it. Super sweet for sure, and not something to drink on a consistent basis.

M: Thick, rich, and syrupy, without tasting like actual syrup was tossed in. Good carbonation.

D: Not a session beer, even without the high abv; the flavors are bold and nearly cloying, so this one could become tiresome quickly. I will probably have it again, but not anytime soon. Still, worth trying at least one.

irishking1977, Jul 02, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

2010 release. 22 oz bottle. Now 10% ABV.

A: Dark brown with ruby red around the edges.
S: Strong vanilla, creme brulee aroma.
T: Wow, the vanilla, caramel, and milk flavors dominate this brew and completely mask any semblance of alcohol.
M/D: Medium bodied considering the milky feel. Not as thick as syrup, and the carbonation makes it feel light.

Quite a feat for an imperial sweet stout, this is quite the dessert treat.

stimulus, Jun 28, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -43.4%

A - a not of red around the edges. Tall long lasting head that leaves a lot of lacing.

S - smells like créme brûlée with roared malts.

T - very, VERY, sweet. Like a bitter créme brûlée

M - a good amount of coating and tingle, but a bitter, not good tingle.

D - I probably would not get this again unless it was just for dessert.

biglite351, Jun 25, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Recieved in a trade from Cuzco. Thanks buddy.

Pours a pretty oily black with a slowly developing creamy beige head.

As I begin to pour, the aroma makes a bold and sudden entrance into my life. Wow. The name is quite fitting, I can tell already. This thing is going to be sweet.

With my first sip, I immediately think to myself I am drinking dessert. I'm getting creamy buttery custard, lots of caramelized sugar, lots of vanilla and some roasty malt. I wasn't expecting this intensity, and I realize people weren't exaggerating when they say it's like a liquid creme brulee.

Feels pretty smooth in my mouth, kinda slick. Lightly tingly.

While I am digging the flavor and respect the intensity, this bomber is going to a bit of a feat to kill all by myself, however it will happen. I can see this beer being a great one to enjoy every now and then. Winter next to a warm fire might be a better setting for such a brew. I plan to revisit this in the future, maybe even near future.

jefferz5000, Jun 18, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +1%

Much thanks to beernerd81 for this one

A-Pours a dark brown with minimal head and just a touch of lacing.

S-Rich vanilla scent dominates along with some chocolate, caramel and roasted malt. Very rich, sweet and enticing.

T-Vanilla and caramel are most prominent. A somewhat sugary sweet, milky flavor as well. Also some notes of chocolate and coffee. Man, this truly is dessert in a glass.

M-Thin for the style, but still somewhat creamy. Smooth finish with low carbonation.

D-Its a sipper for sure, but completely enjoyable through and through.

If the name intrigues you and you want a "dessert" beer, this will not disappoint. I enjoyed it.

Lerxst, Jun 05, 2010