Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
2.65/5  rDev -31.9%

On tap at HOB "Thanks Jessica." Poured into a 6oz snifter. Black as night with a white head. the head stuck around for awhile. You can smell this beer from the other room. The most intese vanilla have ever seen in a beer. THe flavor was the same. It tasted like vanilla extract with a little dry hops. I like the idea but Southern Tier needs to consult CCB before trying this. Way too intense. Switched over to a Loose Cannon immediately. As a suggestion, I wouldnt try this in a glass bigger than a flight sipper.

bernardus1212, Oct 15, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +22.9%

Where do I start. I poured a bottle of this into my snifter and was speechless.

Without a doubt, the best smelling beer I have ever known. Smells of sweet cream, vanilla, caramel, and roasty coffee. Taste was just as remarkable as smell. Tastes of creme, coffee, caramel, and vanilla coated the palate with a creamy goodness. Sweet but not too sweet. All ingredients compliment each other in perfection. Drinkability suffers just a bit because of its desert like nature. I couldnt drink a whole lot of this at one sitting, but damn I wish I could. Un"F'n"believable. Love it!!!

BigBlacke, Oct 11, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

In a pint glass the beer was black in color with a very thin tan head.
The aroma was vanilla, chocolate, and roasted malt.
Vanilla taste, sweet chocolate, and espresso.
Nice enough beer, but way too sweet for my taste.
I could probably drink one of these, but would have a tough time drinking the whole 22oz in one sitting.

lordofthewiens, Oct 11, 2010
1.7/5  rDev -56.3%

Thanks Dan, for the opportunity to try something new, something I would definitely not want a whole bottle of for myself. Pours an intriguing dark brown/black color, with the bare minimum of tan head. Aromas of vanilla, roasted malt, burnt caramel and cream. On the palate, this one was sickly sweet, with rootbeer schnapps, imitation vanilla extract and milk chocolate. Undrinkable, even in moderation. I was told this is a love it or hate it kind of beer, and I believe it. Unfortunately for me, I hated it. Probably one of the worst beers I've ever had.

emmasdad, Oct 10, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -35.7%

Finally tried this tonight at Emmasdad's B-day/Passing the Bar celebration. Poured pretty dark (nice) with a very sweet nose. Tasted sweetness--LOTS of sweetness, almost to the point where I couldn't do more than a few ounces. I guess if you like creme brulee, this might be to your liking. Kinda iffy for a beer, though. Glad I tried this but seriously doubt I'd bother trying again.

Schmittymack, Oct 09, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Deep dark brown with a big, fluffy, long lasting tannish head. Little lacing.

S - Frickin straight-up creme brulee. Vanilla, sweet milk sugars, chocolate and a little bit of actual malt bready aroma peaks through as it warms.

F/M - These guys nailed it! Awesome full-on creme brulee dessert in a glass. Rich chocolate, vanilla and sweet milk sugars. Thick, full, slick and medium-full bodied. Moderate carbonation makes it easy to put past the gums. Dry finish with a lingering sweet vanilla aftertaste.

D - Such a rich beer, and kind of gimmicky. Great on the flavors and aromas, especially for a dessert beer, but much more than a big glass of this stiff would be hard to put down. Very enjoyable though.

domtronzero, Oct 09, 2010

Only slightly less drinkable than its fall cousin, Pumpking, this beer is a perfect dessert beer or something to drink during a cold night by a fire.

A- Dark as any winter's night, with minimal brown foaming at the top.

S- Creme Brulee. Those crazy bastards did it again, it smells just like you'd expect warm Creme Brulee to, while being cold. For me, someone that bakes, that's AMAZING. I can crack a bottle and people across the room have smelled it. But how does it..

Taste- Exactly as it smells, just like pumpking did. Delicious Vanilla and Caramel overtones, dancing around a coffeelike porter taste. The rich, syrupy taste left on your tongue afterwards reminiscent of hot chocolate syrup. Note, this does not taste like any other beer you'll have, be that good or bad. If you're expecting a traditional imperial stout, this is not the beer for you. This is unique and very rich, creamy, and sweet. Barely a trace of bitterness to be found.

Mouthfeel- Traditional imperial syrupy coating. Not too intrusive, but it's there.

Drinkability- Said it before, I'll say it again. One and done. Considering Southern Tier is a respectable but still pricey 7$ a bottle (on average), do you really want to kill two bottles in a night?

Men, if you have wives or girlfriends, even ones that claim they hate "beer", sneak this to them during a fancy dessert on your anniversary or valentine's day. Assuming they like chocolatey/coffeeish tastes, split this bottle between the two of you over a hot brownie, you may make a beer convert out of them yet.

JMastrangelo, Oct 02, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Beer is almost jet black with almost no head. Smell is burnt caramel with vanilla and malt. It tastes, not surprisingly, like a creme brulee stout. Lots of vanilla and caramel. It's got a sweet and almost candy-like finish. The mouthfeel is a little heavy and thick. The sweetness is almost too much. It's a very rich beer---not one to drink quickly. I'm not sure quite what to make of this. It's good and quite interesting, but not a beer I'd want to drink often. It's kinda like drinking dessert. But I could see enjoying one of these a few times a year, especially during cold weather, when I'm craving something heavy and sweet.

DoreenAndDave, Oct 02, 2010

22oz bottle into snifter.

The appearance is a fairly standard dark brown, almost black with a decent light tan head.

The aroma is overwhelmingly of caramel, with a light touch of vanilla. And while it is quite pleasant, it is an extremely un-beer like aroma.

The flavor is again of incredibly strong caramel and vanilla malts.
Unfortunately I can't really pick up many flavors past this though, so I don't have much to elaborate on besides to say that this is easily the sweetest beer I have tried, and that this beer could easily stand alone as a dessert.

The mouthfeel is creamy and medium to full bodied and very well suited for this beer.
This is quite drinkable, though you would definitely have to be in the mood for sweets.

vkv822, Oct 01, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -17%

Served this beer in a Duvel glass. No date. 22 oz. brown bottle. The body was a very dark opaque brown with a light brown head. The foam dissipated quickly.

Smell was fantastic. No alcohol, but lots of dessert aromas. Custard, butter, vanilla.

Taste was also like a dessert, but with alcohol. This is a boozy sweet sipper. Chocolate and caramel. Buttery vanilla. Somewhat cloying. This one should really be released in 12 oz. bottles instead, 22 oz. is too much.

Mouthfeel was silky smooth and full bodied. Definitely a beer to share, a dessert for two (or more).

Cresant, Sep 28, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours dark with a decent head that dissapated quickly.

Smells of caramel, burnt suagar, coffee, maybe even chocolatte.

Tastes the same as it tastes. Great dessert beer. Wish I had waited to drink it when the wife was around to share it. It is very sweet!

Can't taste the alcohol, but the syrupy mouthfeel sure does stick around.

Definitely NOT a session beer, but a nice one to share after a good dinner.

Hex92, Sep 28, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured into a tulip glass. Very dark, no light passes through. Almost no head. Small ring stays around the edge. Huge vanilla & caramel nose. Some coffee too. The first sip is very sweet & intense. You almost need to drink a little to get past he sweetness. After the initial shock the flavor is very reminiscent of tiramisu instead of creme burlee. Definately a dessert beer. Mild carbonation with a medium mouth feel. Once you get past the first taste and it warms a little this is a very enjoyable beer. The 24 oz. bottle would be a great dessert split between four people. I don't think I would like more that one at a sitting but I'll keep one in the around for friends.

Kbogac, Sep 26, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured into my Fathead's sampler glass from the Steel City Big Pour fest...I'm sharing with family and friends. Pours pitch blacdk with a tan mocha head, fine even lacing scattered on the sides of the sampler glass. Aroma is full of creamy milk chocolate, caramelized nearly burn sugars, a touch of alcohol. This beer smells sweeter than dessert and tastes like cream filled cocolate/burnt marshmellow crusted in caramel. A dessert beer that I wouldn't drink a 22 ounce bottle of unless I wanted to pay for it. Mouthfeel is creamy syrupy but so worth it, I don't think it's designed forme but it's delicious. Drinkability overall agan it's way to sweet and cloying to drink in number or volume but if you taste it your amazed with what Southern Tier is doing with beer.

WVbeergeek, Sep 26, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Modest beige head. The liquid is near black--no light passes through the glass. Slippery lace that slides back into the head.

This truly smells like creme brulee: very sweet vanilla with caramelized table sugar.

Lots of burnt sugar flavor--too burnt for a good creme brulee. There's an element of coffee/mocha to the bitterness. The body is rich, almost oily. Light hop in the background.

smcolw, Sep 26, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -13.1%

A: Pours a dark brown-to-black. Plenty of carbonation with a 1/2 inch head.

S: It smells exactly what I wanted it to smell like. aramel and vanilla. Wonderful.

T: Vanilla and caramel to begin. Sweetness in the middle. The ending hop bitterness is unbalanced. Too much.

M: Not heavy or 'chewy' at all. Surprisingly light.

D: A great dessert beer.

telecomz, Sep 25, 2010
2.28/5  rDev -41.4%

My first review, so go easy on me!

A: It looks good, looks like a stout. Black, pours a nice tan-ish/light-brown head, with a bit of thickness to it.

S: WOOOAH! As soon as you pop the cap you get knocked five feet backwards by the smell! I have it in a snifter (as the bottle suggests) about a foot and a half away and it is powerful! You really can only taste the creme brulee aspect, there isn't much else nose wise unless you have a good nose and can realllly get through the caramel/vanilla smells. It's nice, but overpowering.

T: This is a super super super sweet and flavor-packed beer. By "flavor-packed" I mean a strong and loud flavor, not a highly complex flavor. It's hard to get much besides the vanilla, caramel, and some slight coffee taste. There is a bit of creaminess to it, and little bit of coffee, but wow is it sweet. The coffee and cream flavors come out on the aftertaste more than the immediate sip. I get a liiittle bit of maltiness, but maybe it's just me, but it's hard to pull much else besides the creme brulee from this beer. Also, even at 10%, the alcohol stands out a little too much for me. I like my high ABV beers, but this one doesn't really mesh well and doesn't feel well balanced.

M: It has a nice, smooth, creamy mouthfeel, and that's all I can really say about that.

D: Veryyy difficult for the flavor reasons I mentioned earlier. Way too sweet, way too much of the "creme brulee" flavor. We can put it like this: This goes over and above on creme brulee flavor than PumKing does on pumpkin flavor.

So there's my review, I don't know what my actual letter rating would be, but I'd say C to D+. Just not my bag. But I would definitely pass on this one again...I don't know if I'll even be able to finish this glass.

captj, Sep 24, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Thanks to cheesemoose for this one!

A: jet black with a thin head but enough carbonation to make you happy

S: Just like creme brulee, has sort of a butterscotch nose, very nice

T: Caramel, vanilla, and other good sweetness

M: full, oily, and chewy like a good stout should be

D: It is a desert beer, you only want one and should split a 22oz

poonamibaxter, Sep 23, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +14.4%

From 22 oz bomber to oversized wine glass

Was looking to trade for this, but while I was visiting my hometown of Seattle, I noticed Whole Foods carries a few Southern Tier offerings.

A: Pours a jet black with plenty of carbonation and forms a frothy 1/2 inch head in the wine glass. The head is mocha colored and leaves plenty of lacing.

S: Wow, what an amazing nose. I'm not sure if it smells like creme brulee, but the title gets you ready for its desert-like character and the aroma answers. It smells of chocolate, caramel, vanilla, all of which flood your nose through the alcohol volatiles. There's bready malts and yeast in the distance One of the most powerful and unique aromas I've picked up from a brew.

T: Mocha is probably the first taste you'll notice, followed by the caramel and vanilla. It's strange vanilla bean is the only non-traditional ingredient, as its chocolate tones dominate. These flavors all combine and carry through the swallow with pastry-like character, but hop bitterness, which wasn't very prevalent in the smell, combines with alcohol to break up the sweetness, reminding you that this is indeed beer. Finishes sugary and caramelly with just a touch of drying hop bitterness.

M: No surprises here - rich, oily, chewy. One of the more viscous brews I've come across, but given the title and the 10% ABV it was expected.

Drinkability and notes: At first sip, I thought this was one of the better beers I've tried. Southern Tier really nailed the desert flavors they were striving for, an accomplishment upon which the beer should be judged. However, I was drinking this alone and about halfway through the bomber the beer became a little thick and filling. Of course, this was no surprise...it's a big-ass beer, and you know that going in. Probably best to share. I need some water.

rand, Sep 20, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

650ml bottle into a De Struisse glass, dark brown with a light tan head. Good retention, great sticky lacing...Aroma is super strong and sweet. Smells exactly like a dessert, fresh vanilla bean ice cream, lots of cream itself, you can pull out the sugar though which is a little off putting. Sensory overload...Taste is again is too sweet, like eating a liquid dessert with fresh vanilla bean just blended in. Bitter roasted coffee cuts through as well which breaks up the sweetness, but just can't drink a ton of this.

This is the perfect dessert drink for a 3 ounce pour, this should be shared with several people, don't crack it by yourself or you'll be doing a drain pout.

jrallen34, Sep 20, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

My mother-in-law often said, "If it is dessert, why wait?" Works for this beer.

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a clear pint glass. Purchased at Capital Market for $8.59.

A-Pours a midnight black. Very dark. A two finger, creamy tan head quickly recedes into a scant lace.

S-This smells like a Starbucks Caramel Macchiato Latte. Awesome butterscotch, vanilla, toffee, and roasted coffee. In the words of U2, this is the Sweetest Thing.

T-There is a burnt sugar, vanilla crème, and caramel taste that is unlike any beer I have tasted. Quite good, but definitely a dessert type beer.

M-Deliciously smooth with medium to full body. Warming due to the alcohol.

D-This is a fine beer. Best enjoyed by sipping.

velosuds, Sep 20, 2010

22oz bottle

A- Poured into a snifter. Pours a dark black color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is very sweet with a ton of vanilla bean, burnt sugar, caramel, mocha and some alcohol. The nose is very strong, i can smell it even when i put the glass down. Wow, the aroma is unlike any other beer I've tried. I like it so far.

T- The taste like the aroma is very sweet up front with a sugary sweetness. Luckily, there is some dark roasted malts in the finish providing some bitter roastiness to help counter the high level of sweetness.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, I enjoyed this beer. I really enjoyed it because of it's uniqueness. The high level of sweetness limits the drinkability but it makes an excellent dessert beer.

cjgator3, Sep 18, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Deep black with a nice thick white head.
S: Strong enticing smell of toffee, vanilla and butterscotch.
T: Much the same as the smell. Butterscotch, vanilla, toffee, roasted coffee and buttery bread. Very tasty, but VERY sweet.
M: Thick and chewy.
D: First couple of drinks were great. After that it just got too sweet for me. I think a 10 oz glass of this is my max in a sitting.

jskoog, Sep 12, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured black into a Duvel tulip with a couple inches of thick mocha head that faded fairly quickly. Powerful, intense aroma of caramel and a bit of vanilla bean. One of the best smelling beers I've tried.

Slightly low-to-moderate carbonation with a creamy mouthfeel (bordering on syrupy). Extremely sweet with tons of caramel and vanilla. The sweetness is somewhat balanced by a toasty malt finish with coffee and a bit of chocolate. Slight alcohol warmth towards the end, though it is fairly well-masked.

Half of a bomber was more than enough; the sweetness makes this a true dessert beer for sipping (almost like carbonated Irish cream).

grittybrews, Sep 12, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

On tap at Belmont Station; served in a tulip snifter.

A - pitch black; tan head that dissipates quickly; no lacing.

S - it's a bit like shoving one's face into a jar of cake frosting, with hints of chocolate, vanilla bean, and caramel. Novel, potent, and not at all like a beer -- very surprising, given the unassuming appearance.

T - vanilla frosting, chocolate, and caramel, with the creaminess one would expect from a milk stout. The finish burns slightly of alcohol, counterbalancing what would otherwise be an overwhelming sweetness. Doesn't taste particularly like creme brulee, but definitely like dessert.

M - the tap's additional infusion of carbonation makes it slightly abrasive -- the bottle has the edge. Still smooth enough to compliment the flavors. Faintly reminiscent of a milk shake.

D - the drinkability suffers, as the flavors and the alcohol quickly snowball. But this beer isn't meant to be a particularly easy drinker, just as creme brulee isn't effortlessly devourable. Better with food and friends, or saved for a special dessert.

Elendinn, Sep 11, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -4.9%

Absolutely black body with a light brown foamy head.
The smell on this one is absolutely unreal! Caramelised sugar, caramel candy, vanilla ice cream; everything you would expect from an actual creme brulee desert. Simply stunning.
To my dismay, however, the hops really come through on this one [ in the flavour]. This is still a very tasty stout, but the over the top dessert aromas get you ready for something that doesn't quite show up. All the sweetness in the aroma is also present in the flavour, which is good. However, there is a more pronounced hop bitterness in this than I was really expecting, to be honest. While I understand there must be something bitter present to tame the outrageous sweetness, the combination of ice cream-like flavours with bitter hops is something I simply do not care for. I must say, I am a little disappointed. Mouthfeel while solid, could be a little heavier given the style and the 9,2%abv.
Overall, well crafted, a good stout and definitely unique, my personal qualms aside.

SilentSabre, Sep 10, 2010