Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
colefsuwr

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

I fear that I went into this one expecting too much. Wonderful smell and look, but upon tasting, I was confused. I didn't know whether they made they beer, and then named it, or visa versa. I can appreciate the mouthfeel, but i feel there is far too much vanilla bean and it overwhelms the palate.

01-14-2010 20:59:40 | More by colefsuwr
Gehrig

When my good friend came to town for a surprise visit, I happened to have a bomber bottle of Creme Brulee in the fridge on hand, for I had never tried it. In honor of his joyous if unexpected presence, we cracked it opened, and it was so good that we grabbed another a couple days later. Simply phenomenal.

A lazy pour produced one and one-half fingers of tan foam atop an impenetrable black body. A small, persistent dollop rested atop it like a small scoop of vanilla ice cream that wouldn't melt for much of the duration. Amazing. The smell did not disappoint--rife with vanilla bean, coffee, cocoa, brown sugar. Sterling.

Creme Brulee combines these flavors into a phenomenal concoction--smooth, dense, bold, embodying and defying contradictions all at once. In a sip, one gets vanliia, then sugary coffee, then a whiff of molasses, and some dark chocolate to boot.

I admit to being a huge fan of Southern Tier and therefore am a bit biased, but Creme Brulee blew me away. This was far better than I expected, and I grabbed it expecting it to be very good. So smooth, so rich, so complex, and so accessible.

Stunningly good, nay, great. I could drink this every day. To me, this vaults Southern Tier into my personal top five breweries in the US, hands down. A grand achievement.

01-14-2010 04:46:43 | More by Gehrig
Lunch

Maryland

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

Served from a 22oz. bottle purchased at the Perfect Pour in Columbia, Maryland into my Cigar City snifter at the appropriate temperature (01/09/10).

A: Pours tick and creamy motor oil black with 1.5 fingers of a mocha head with nice retention and some sticky, patchy lace.

S: Intense smell of butterscotch and some subtle hints of creamy sweet milk chocolate, and some sugary coffee. Smells like a rich dessert.

T: Sweet butterscotch assaults the palate with layers of creamy sweet milk chocolate and some hints of sugary coffee. Not necessarily a creme brulee, but certainly a rich, sweet, and creamy beer. This has got to be one of sweetest stouts I have every had.

M: Fulll-bodied with a nice heavy creaminess and low carbonation. Extremely rich and quite cloying.

D: The drinkability is severaly hindered by the intense sweetness making it a chore to finish this bomber. One 12oz. snifter is plenty for me.

Overall this Imperial Stout is another extremely flavorful offering from Southern Tier. A little to sweet for my tastes, but this will certainly please many Milk Stout fan. Worth a Look.

01-11-2010 16:55:44 | More by Lunch
HappyBivouac

Iowa

4.53/5  rDev +16.8%

Picked this up during a trip north to MN. 650ml poured into an Ommegang chalice.

a- opaque, woody dark brown with a thin tan head.

s- smell is amazing. Right away I can tell this brew is aptly named. A big hit of real good vanilla/butterscotch pudding. Undertones of rich coffee and chocolate round out the wonderful aroma. This really just smells like a rich dessert. Very faint alcohol presence masked heavily by the dessert aromas. Impossible to resist. I could smell this forever.

t- Starts with burnt sugar and a lot of vanilla bean and toffee. A lot of roasted and caramel malt comes through in the middle, reminding me that this is a stout, Then a slightly boozy finish with the satisfying, creamy insides of the dessert. I was expecting this to be far from an imperial stout in the taste, and am pleasantly surprised. The sweetness is powerful, but this still tastes like a stout to me. The finish is a lingering vanilla, milk and burnt sugar, like having just eaten a delicious creme brulee. As a dessert lover, this is awe-inspiring to me.

m- medium to full-bodied beer with VERY little carbonation. I definitely wish it had a tad more life to it in that regard. The full body complements the flavors wonderfully, though.

d- well, what can I say. This beer is pretty much the ultimate dessert drink. Heck, I would make this beer the focal point of a dessert. I think drinking an entire bomber of this by oneself is a tad much, but me and my sweet tooth enjoyed every drop. Very, VERY good beer and unlike anything I've ever tasted.

01-11-2010 04:57:54 | More by HappyBivouac
redsonja

Netherlands

4.5/5  rDev +16%

S/ sweet vanilla

T/ sweet vanilla toffee taste with hits of stout
alcohol taste

M/ like a the sweet custard after dinner sweet and good

D/ lot of fun an after dinner beer good try

if you have dinner and after dinner a custard dessert drink this beer. alse sweet cheese is great with this beer.

01-03-2010 14:08:25 | More by redsonja
stewart124

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

2 year old draft at Dilly Deli. Thanks for holding on to this. Poured into a chalice.

Pitch black with a nice tan lacing.

Dark roasted malts in the nose. Vanilla, fig and prunes stand out with a trace of toffee.

Huge mouthfeel! Toffee, vanilla, prunes and an overall sherry character. So far there is a subtle warming from the alcohol.

The finish is almost cherry-like with huge alcohol warmth that doesn't take anything away from the beer.

This is a tasty imperial stout and something I have yet to find an equal. I am interested in trying out the other stouts from the blackwater series.

01-03-2010 04:15:24 | More by stewart124
BigMike

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours black with a soapy thin tan head about 1/4 inch. Decent lacing on the glass. Nothing spectacular.

Smell, you can smell this as soon as you pop the cap.
Vanilla, melted coffee icecream and booze.

Taste, the best way i can describe this is Baileys Irish Cream on the rocks. If i close my eyes thats what i would swear i was drinking. Vanilla, coffee icecream, and a lot of alcohol. This is bozzier then i thought it would be. However it is 10%abv according to the bottle. But yea, Baileys on the rocks.

Mouthfeel is smooth at first and then ou get an alcohol blast of warth on the back of your tongue all the way down your throat. Average carbonation.

Drinkability is tricky to rate with this one. It's tasty and enjoyable. However i have no desire to drink another one anytime soon. Nothing against the beer i just feel it's more of a novelty then anything. Not to say it's a bad beer because it's not.

Overall this is a tasty, sweet treat from Southern Tier. I've heard you either love or hate this beer. I disagree. I don't love it or hate it. I really like it though.

01-03-2010 00:20:52 | More by BigMike
heapofaoatmeal

2.73/5  rDev -29.6%

this is really good vanilla extract ruined by harsh hops. I first became leery when i read columbus kettle hops. dark pour @45f into a double mountain tulip glass. dark with some ruby in the edges. reasonable carbonation for a big stout (kinda low, but still head existed and their were bubbles. smells like vanilla, just as the bottle suggested some birthday cake taste as well. First wave is vanilla, sweet, but not underattenuated. second wave is more vanilla, birthday cake, and the bittering hops/roasty astringency. my real problem with the beer is this flavor. Instead of cutting the sweetness and giving a clean finish it creates an odd mix of flavors that dont jive in my mouth. Lower ibu hops, a less pronounced hop variety, or a cleaner roast malt (caraffa, a pale chocolate) might have made all the difference. Another note, kind of a vanilla extract alcohol flavor provided me some trouble. On some sips it was fine, but others definately had a hot ethanol type burn.

I knew i was going to get a sweet vanilla dessert beer, but i just can wrap my tongue around this beast.

12-31-2009 23:29:03 | More by heapofaoatmeal
Mora2000

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Bottle courtesy thirdeye11.

Pours black with a tan head. The aroma is strong butterscotch with a lot of sweetness and some vanilla. Definitely a different aroma. The flavor is butterscotch, praline and vanilla. Medium mouthfeel, low carbonation and very drinkable, but I can't see myself drinking more than six ounces at a time since it is so sweet. This beer would serve as a great stand alone dessert.

12-31-2009 22:20:46 | More by Mora2000
caddybuyer

Poured from a bomber into a chalice at cellar temperature.

S-(sorry for the digression, but I SMELL this one before I can comment on the appearance)creme brulee indeed! Sweet sticky milky vanilla butterscotch nose, yet no stout-like qualities. Mouth is watering here.

A-Deep dark stout-like appearance, with a tan head that settles rapidly

T-Bang! sweet vanilla hazelnut malt hits me in the head, puts me in a headlock and carries me on to the more traditional coffee and chocolate stout flavors, which are clearly subdued here as it relates to the vanilla....A very interesting beer, and damn, if it doesn't taste like the dessert. Whether this is good or bad as relates to a beer, is indeed another question, but I'm liking this right now. Like a sweet starbucks mocha? You will love this. ABV? What alcohol? Simply not present.

M-Good balanced medium/sticky mouthfeel and balanced carbonation.

D-Buy it again? Hell yeah! Drink it every night? No way. This is a sweet tooth treat, and clearly not for everyone. I really love super sweet beers, and this has to be nearly at the end of the spectrum.

Just a bit of advice. If you are searching for a stout fix, this is not it....but something totally different.

12-31-2009 01:45:05 | More by caddybuyer
Crittervision

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

last beer in a night of stouts.

full head with plenty of retention.

aroma is out of control. butterscotch, werthers originals, others were saying it was exactly like the generic brand of yellow plastic wrapped butterscotch candies found in every convenience store. i dont remember them, so i cant attest to that, but everyone else was in agreement over that. vanilla extract, milky caramel, a touch of nut, a touch of... tree? perfumey with weird but very minimal hints of spice and maybe watermelon. some oddities buried under the butterscotch.
also, about twenty minutes after the bottle had been poured, i left the room and upon walking back, i could smell it from outside the room. the most aromatic beer ive had.

taste is ultra creamy milk, vanilla, butterscotch. some of that perfume here as well.

creamy with a cola carbonation.

the sweetness really impedes the drinkability. would highly dissuade anyone from tackling a bottle by his- or herself. everything else is thumbs up delicious, though. my friend justin said something along the lines of "its beers like that that show me how far beer has come. turning water into fancy-ass water..." and its not fancy water. its definitely fancy-ass water. wow.

12-30-2009 22:17:25 | More by Crittervision
joshstevens87

2.65/5  rDev -31.7%

A-3.0 pour jet black with just a slight brown shade with a slim minimal white head struggling to cover the top of the beer
S-4.5 reaks of creme brulee with notes of vanilla with a caramel asserting itself with just a twinge of chocolate and coffee in the background
T-2.0 huge vanilla up front with a sweetness like eating a crème brulee but the chocolate/toffee malts asserts itself more aggressively with a little alcohol or hop bitterness to balance the taste (rightly so for the style) but overall I'm not sure if this works imperial style the massive malt and alcohol/hop present bitterness in a sweet stout interpretation albeit imperial style doesn't quite work for me
M-3.0 very heavy and rich body with a low carbonation the huge rich taste is almost a turnoff especially in a 22 oz bomber
D-2.0 not remotely drinkable, definitely a sipper tough I'm lost for words at why you bottle it in 22 oz. servings being an imperial sweet stout it seems a contradiction since due to it's imperial character it seems there is an off balance between it's imperialness and its sweet goodness which i wish would dominate a bit more

12-28-2009 02:54:51 | More by joshstevens87
billab914

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Southern Tier glass. Pours black with a tan head that settled to a thin covering that clung to the sides. A little lacing on the glass as I drank it.

Aroma has a very strong vanilla and butterscotch presence, maybe a little chocolate but it's tough to get anything else over the Creme Brulee flavors. Smells pretty much like a Creme Brulee in beer form.

Taste has vanilla with some chocolate and some roasted grains in the bitter finish. The butterscotch isn't as pronounced as in the nose but it's still there. Has a sweetness to it as well which was expected. Pretty much tastes like Creme Brulee.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is not great, it's a very strong flavor and pretty sweet. 22 oz is definitely too much for one person, splitting it with several people would be good.

Overall this is pretty much exactly like Creme Brulee in a bottle. It is good in moderate amounts but gets overwhelming after a bit. A 4 oz sample for desert would be great. It seems like they hit their target of Creme Brulee pretty well though.

12-27-2009 01:18:11 | More by billab914
apbarwood

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

Midnight black with a caramel colored, fluffy head. The nose is bursting with sweet creme brulee-esque aromas with vanilla being the brunt of the attack. The taste is the same with flavors of vanilla, whipped cream, caramel, and milk chocolate. A bit much if you ask me. The mouthfeel is sticky and sweet. Extremely so. It tastes to me like somebody pureed some creme brulee and added some alcohol. A 22 oz. bottle seems a bit extreme for this one, a bit much for one person to stomach quite frankly. It's an interesting and unique beer for sure, but not one that I'd recommend unless you're a big fan of sweeter style beers. Maybe split it three ways with some bittersweet chocolate or fruit or something.

12-27-2009 00:50:26 | More by apbarwood
DoctorDog

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Presentation: 1pint, 6 oz bottle into a snifter. Bottle has it pegged at 10% ABV (9.2% listed here ATM).

A- Pours a deep, dark brown / black, and completely opaque. Vigorous pour nets ~1 finger of brown head, which is fades rapidly into a thin ring of foam, and an incomplete, oily island.

S- Major butterscotch and vanilla....very, very reminiscent of it's namesake. Nailed so astonishingly, it must be a 5.

T- Wow. Not much needs to be said other than "liquefied crème brûlée." A moderate alcohol warming and kick on the finish. I love crème brûlée, so unsurprisingly, I love this.

M- Moderately low carbonation. Fairly thick and full....good.

D- Good as a slow sipper, and quite smooth and easy drinking considering it's 10 % ABV ....but so rich, that it can only carry you so far. Not exactly a chore to consume the entire bottle solo, but might be best to split in the future.

Future outlook: I'd been told that this one was out of sight, but kept looking for the right time to indulge myself....Merry Christmas to me. These beers that shoot for such unique "mimicking" flavors seem to so often fall short, but this one impressed the hell out of me. I'll be happy to try this one again.

12-26-2009 04:59:27 | More by DoctorDog
Long813

2.1/5  rDev -45.9%

G: Duvel tulip

A: Very dark and opaque brown body with one finger of dark mocha head. Head quickly fades away leaving the slightest lacing.

S: Very strong aroma of milk chocolate and vanilla. Some caramel and butterscotch comes behind. Surprised at how strong the vanilla is.

T: A mixture of butterscotch, vanilla and milk chocolate create a very strong taste. Really captures the creme brulee goal and is quite sweet.

M: Heavy bodied giving it a syrupy texture and has relatively low carbonation. It leaves a very sweet sticky feeling in the mouth begging for another drink. Also the alcohol isn't that apparent until after it passes down the throat.

D: The taste is fantastic and hit the goal, but it's to expensive and to 'out there' to drink regularly. Outstanding job none the less.

EDIT: After I continued on with this bomber and the temperature hit room it became very hard to drink and the alcohol pierced through. Extremely hard to finish this beer right now.

Ended up with pouring the beer. When cold it's drinkable.

12-26-2009 02:24:41 | More by Long813
br3wmeister

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a large light tan head with good retention and some lacing. Very dark brown nearly black colored beer. The aroma is very very sweet. Vanilla ice cream in a waffle cone... yep that's what it smells like. Tastes of burnt cream, vanilla, light nuttiness, and very sweet sugary caramel. Also some light bitterness from the hops. The mouth feel is thick and creamy with a lingering chard/sweet flavor. This is a very very sweet beer that would be difficult to drink a lot of. A good suggestion was beer floats. I might have to finish this bottle with some ice cream.

12-23-2009 05:07:52 | More by br3wmeister
blaje

Quebec (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours black in a sniffer, forming a thin mocha head that disappears quickly to finally look like a flat soft drink!

S: STRONG vanilla sent, too pronounced almost artificial. Brown sugar. No roasted grain in here.

M: Damn it, Feels like a vanilla coke! Too bad.

T: Sweetness. Vanilla dominates largely and everything. Caramel is present too. Easily comparable to Bailey's Irish cream. Nothing more to say. No signs of roastiness...

Overall: Big disappointment for me! I would have like a more refined milk stout since it is an "imperial series" The overall fealing of this beer is like a soft drink artificially flavoured. Will look for something else for my next milk stout.

12-21-2009 02:04:06 | More by blaje
cbros

4.58/5  rDev +18%

Serving type- 22 ounce bottled poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a jet black that doesn't seem to have any head. There is a little cling to the glass but nothing to write home about and there is no carbonatin activity.

S- Damn this beer smells exquisite. I get the strong vanilla notes right when I open the beer. I am not a huge vanilla fan but for some reason this really is appealing to me. It's weird there is a strong vanilla presence but it doesn't seem to be overwhelming or overpowering. It simply is a nice smelling pungent beer.

T- First off I am getting the vanilla presence here in the taste as well. It starts off with the vanilla flavors then mellows out and I am getting a smooth alcohol type finish. Very drinkable even though it is a pretty strong beer.

This is a great tasting beer. However this is not the type of beer that you could knock back two or three. This beer should be reserved for a special desert maybe, but something that compliments and not overpowers. I would love to have more of these but like I said this is not the kind of beer where you put down three in a night. A special brew that should be reserved for special reasons.

12-21-2009 00:26:58 | More by cbros
rootbeerman

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

poured into boston lager glass

A: pours dark reddish black, thin light brown head light lacing
S: sweet cane sugar caramel, vanilla, dark roasted malt, light hint of coffee.
T: sweet, vanilla hits first followed by caramel, with aftertaste of dark malt. as with smell a very light flavor of coffee. did i mention its sweet
M: thick, milky, light carbonation.
D: easy to drink despite having the sweetness of a soda.

12-19-2009 04:06:04 | More by rootbeerman
JohnnyBarman

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

A buddy of mine picked up one of the 750ml bottles of this and offered to split it with me; a good thing, because I probably couldn't have done the whole bottle on my own!

Pours a deep brown, leaving a thin white head that sticks around as a ring. A little bit of sheet lacing.

The nose is really quite something. Strong vanilla, with a bit of caramel and chocolate in the back. Very potent; even the bottlecap had a strong nose to it!

The taste was very unique and enjoyable. It did indeed taste like a creme brulee, but the main taste I detected was the caramelized sugar on top. Lots of vanilla, cocoa, milk and caramel, with a little bit of dark chocolate bitterness to the finish.

The mouthfeel was a bit syrupy for my taste - probably could have done with a bit more carbonation as well.

An interesting brew, certainly well worth a go. A good dessert beer for sure; a good one to share with friends, because downing a whole bottle is a tough task. Not sure I'd get this one again, but chock up another for Southern Tier!

12-18-2009 05:32:25 | More by JohnnyBarman
BierFan

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a tulip glass. ABV of 10.0%.

Appearance: Thin tan/light brown head. Obviously, the body is black. Head retention is unimpressive and there's no lacing.

Smell: Loads of caramel, butterscotch, and vanilla. Especially heavy on the butterscotch. A little alcohol aroma manages to make it past the overpowering sweet aromas. I think this smells too sweet.

Taste: Once again, heavy on the butterscotch caramel and vanilla. A little bit of hop bitterness reminds me that this is indeed a beer.

This is, perhaps, the sweetest beer I've ever had. While drinking it all I could think of is how this will instantly rot my teeth and the classic Simpson's line, "SO LONG DENTAL PLAN!"

12-17-2009 14:18:49 | More by BierFan
ritzkiss

3.88/5  rDev 0%

22oz from the LCBO, different labels for us Ontario-ians. Pours a dark dark color with the thinnest of brown rings around the top. A finger of mocha head flairs up on an aggressive pour and then quickly moves to placid. Meh.

The nose is ridiculous. Sweet sweet caramel, loads of vanilla - this doesn't even smell like beer, it smells like creme brulee! If there's any hint of the stout they are cowering in fear.

I had heard the stories about this beer, how it's too sweet to finish a bottle. I was pleasantly surprised, however. The sweet caramel and vanilla are certainly present but backed by a nice roasty malt and dark baker's chocolate. Not balanced but present at least. My wife took a sip and all she said was, it tastes burnt. No doubt it's a sweet concotion but a 22oz was nice in an evening - wouldn't do more. Creamy smooth, pretty much non-existent carbonation. Dessert in a glass.

I'm not jumping to have it again, it's too sweet for a common beer and next time would probably go half-sies. Still, I enjoyed it as a creative, tasty dessert beer. Worth trying, Southern Tier does some neat things with this series.

12-17-2009 01:06:00 | More by ritzkiss
Metalmonk

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%

Small sizzling head dissipates quickly leaving a thin crown only. Color is a ridiculously dark brown which might as well be called black. It's utterly opaque too.

Whoa! Vanilla comes on strong in the aroma, and paired with a milky sweetness (probably the lactose sugar) and the hefty alcohol level, this has the smell of a fine $15-per-small-plate dessert item. Even crosses over to smelling like an egg tart/custard...craziness. Certainly unlike any other beer aroma I've come across. Gotta give it a half-point boost for originality.

The flavor is something that could have been so terribly awful in the wrong hands, but it seems Southern Tier knows what they're doing by now and can try something unusual like this and make it work. Pure vanilla bean flavor rides out front. If you don't like vanilla you won't like this--but it's also not the only thing happening here. The vanilla is balanced with a liqueur-like warming, a burnt-sugar kind of sweetness, a little more burnt flavor that brings coffee to mind, a sort of milky vibe, suggestions of dark chocolate, something that's somewhere between root beer and Dr. Pepper, even a ghost of coconut (something BA Snorkapotamus located in S.T.'s Jahva stout) and what's really incredible is there's a grassy bit of hops in the mire too. The mouthfeel is appropriately creamy--kind of slippery and not all that thick--with just the right amount of carbonation tingle; with all those flavors happening, it makes you think of custard. This is completely unreal, and one of the most unique/memorable beers I've ever had.

I love when you hear craft-beer newbies take a taste of something rather different and exclaim "This is beer?" or "This isn't beer!" Although I'm far from an expert and have a long way to go before receiving by Beer PhD, I'm long past all that "is this beer?" stuff...yet even with Creme Brulee Stout I found myself wondering "is this beer?" The beauty of it is that, yes, this is beer! Chalk another one up for Southern Tier--it's at the very least one of their most unique offerings. Everybody should try this at least once.

12-13-2009 20:09:13 | More by Metalmonk
tehchunk

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

A - This beer pours black with a nice, thick, very inviting beige head. Great head retention & lacing from start to finish.

S - Wow, VERY strong smell of vanilla, butterscotch, sweet caramel, sugar, etc. This is literally a dessert in a 22 oz. bottle. Very intriguing!

T - Initial slap-in-the-face with strong vanilla & butterscotch. Some secondary flavors that come through also include some toffee, sweet caramel, and some roasted malt. Very sweet & bitter towards the end that leaves the palate with a dry feeling. Alcohol is noticeable, especially towards the end when it's accompanied by a nice, warming sensation.

M - Not overly carbonated, which is to be expected for an imperial milk stout. Not as thick/syrupy as other imperial stouts; full-bodied. The sweet vanilla & caramel rest well on the tongue, which is then followed nicely by the bitterness of the alcohol.

D - Great beer for a 22 oz. bottle, but that's all I could drink in a night. This could easily be shared with a friend as it is a very sweet beer. I could see this being a great beer for dessert, or even to cook with.

Overall, this beer is one-of-a-kind. It is truly a dessert sealed up in a 22 oz. bottle. Highly recommended for the curious beer drinker.

12-11-2009 01:57:19 | More by tehchunk