Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.
4.14/5  rDev +6.2%

A: jet black, very thin, tan head that is quick to fade.
S: the vanilla comes right out and smacks you in the face. Roasted malt and coffee are right there along with it. A hint a booze as well.
T: vanilla, caramel, coffee, some faint hops at the end. I swear I can taste the custard. Outstanding.
M: nice and slick, not to thick, but more syrupy. Gives the sensation of a dry finish as the booze and hops hit at the end, but the stout envelops your tongue for a taste that lasts.
O: great job of implementing a creme brule into a beer. Its very sweet, so one would do you well, when you combine that fact with high abv. Would highly recommend this as a night cap.

3.62/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours almost black with a dime of light brown head.

S: Huge sweet butterscotch, creme brulee ice cream or candy aroma. I have'nt tasted it yet but the aroma leads me to think this will be overly sweet.

T: Sweet butterscotch and creme brulee candy to start. Only a hint of alcohol heat. Lactose and some burnt sugar. Nice vanilla and then bitter coffee in the finish.

M; Sticky medium-thick body with average carbonation.

O: This is a dessert beer for sure. Would like to have seen more malt backbone.

3.64/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Dark brown with a black appearance. Very short tan head, turns quickly into moderate lacing.

S: Heavy cream, vanilla, chocolate, pudding. Cake frosting and bread pudding are two aromas that i can clearly decipher. Small hints of coffee, cinnamon, nutmeg.

T/M: Not far from the nose. Big creamy vanilla flavor right away. The richness is almost like a pudding or custard of sorts, much like a creme brulee. Very mild french toast-spiciness. Sweet milk chocolate and roasted coffee beans are overpowered by the big notes of vanilla and cream. Rich, and very very sweet overall body. Medium body with medium carbonation.

D: The definition of a dessert beer. Extra sweet and rich in flavor. Pretty good, but not the greatest.

4.54/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured into Houblon Chouffe tulip.
L: Black, not as dark as the other Black Water Series but nonetheless black. Creates huge tan, froathy head about 3 little piggies tall and this piggy sticks around, literally. NOICE!

S: Smelled it outside of the growler before cracking, no jive. Smell is popping, one word...vannnnillllaaa....fresh vanilla beans but also roasted vanilla coffee notes, like a late or something. Maltage!

T: As good as it smells. Creamy, milky,vanilla, mmmm. This is a treat I could enjoy anytime, especially dessert. Dark ambrosia...where's the alcohol?

M: So thick and delicious it is barely a liquid.

O: Another spectacular brew from Southern Tier's Black Water. Heard it was a little too sweet but its perfect for me. Killed the whole growler and now I'm seeing that abv tag.

3.87/5  rDev -0.8%

On-Tap at Six Pack House Of Beer (West) in Erie, Pa.

Black in appearance with brownish hues around the edges when it's held up to the light. One finger of tan colored head settled to a thin lace after a couple of minutes.

Wow!! What an aroma! Nothing but BIG BAD & BOLD Butterscotch in the nose. Maybe a hint of vanilla extract. If I had my eyes closed, and someone said "here, smell this" I don't know if I would've known it was beer.

More butterscotch and vanilla in the taste. Some toffee flavor in there as well. Roasted barley and hop bitterness are of the backbone in this dessert beer.

Medium bodied for the style with moderate carbonation. The sweetness and a syrupy texture on the palate as well.

Nice dessert beer, but I couldn't imagine drinking much more than this 12oz glass in one sitting.

Morey's Bottom Line: One of the few beers that I've had where I'd have to share a bomber without question. It's just too intensely sweet and syrupy. Fun to drink none the less.

3.94/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into glass.

A - Very nice and dark, very nice looking head, leaves lacing. Almost pitched black, but when held up to the light.

S - Coffee creamer is my first reaction. Reminds me of Saranac's Caramel Porter. Has the butterscotch, some vanilla, some caramel. Smells exceptional, almost like a Starbucks frappuccino. Very nice dark malts.

T - The aftertaste is the best. One of the sweetest tasting beers I've ever had. Still has the bitterness of coffee grains throughout, somehow. Mostly consists of vanilla, bits of caramel and bits of coffee beans.

M - Extremely dry, doesn't leave much residue in the mouth surprisingly. Smooth and creamy, but once it goes down it's almost like it was never there. No coating of the mouth, nothing.

D - Goes down pretty damn easy. Very smooth for a high percent beer.

Overall it was a good beer and I'd like to have it again some time. My friends raved about this beer and I really enjoyed it. It's not the greatest thing in the world but it suffices.

4.09/5  rDev +4.9%

I laid my eyes upon this beer immediately thinking, "Now this is ambitious." Sure, an imperial stout has all the makings of a rich dessert, but can it capture the flavor of the classic European custard? I bought it, I poured it, I sniffed it, and I was halfway convinced. It smelled remarkably like the real deal. I was only slightly surprised that it bore no head even with a slightly vigorous pour. With extreme agitation I managed to whip up a mocha colored head. With that, I sipped upon this brew-lee with great satisfaction. The mouthfeel was quite pleasant and the taste was remarkably like creme brulee and less like the straight vanilla bean. A slight booziness lingered on my tongue as I took in a light stout flavor as the almost saccharine vanilla began to subside. Is it perfect? No. Is it a fantastic endeavor? Indeed, yes, it is. Try it once, you will probably be surprised, for better or for worse.

3.9/5  rDev 0%

poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter...

A: Dark and chocolately with almost zero head.

S: Vanilla, almost like kahlua with whipped cream, butterscotch...

T: SWEET...milky chocolate with cream, alcohol is hidden...

M: thick...but in a good way....good amount of carbonation....

O: I bought this for an after dinner drink (without dessert) and that it exactly what it is....its dessert!

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

a- dark, almost black

s- smell of caramel and vanilla with a slight hint of alcohol.

t- can't say much more than Creme Brulee. Taste just like the dessert. Nice caramel and vanilla flavor, sweet. Slight alcohol taste.

m-smooth

o- personally a little to sweet. But they hit the nail on the head with the Creme Brulee flavor. So I would rate an "A" based upon the beer itself, not my personal preference. Nice job.

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured out of a 22 oz bomber into a snifter

a- nice dark opaque ...what a stout should be with a dissipating head

s- wow! candy corn, butterscotch..hint of coffe
t- pretty sweet caramel flavor with a nice roasty flavor to follow it up...alcohol is present, but not overbearing.
m- rich and creamy with medium carbonation.
0- not a bad beer, a little sweet for myself, but definitely a desert beer that is tasty, especially on a cold fallor winter night. Prefer the mocha to this one all day.

4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

A: pours black as night into a DFH signature glass, with a bit of an aggressive pour it is able to produce a half finger of light khaki head that leaves no lacing.

S: wow, there's so much going on here it literally made my mouth water when it got to my nose. Butterscotch, vanilla, milk chocolate, caramel, brown sugar, sweet malt, toffee.

T: a lot like the nose, only the alcohol hinders the intensity a bit and mellows the flavor profile into a smooth transitions and the overall taste sensation of a chocolate-y boozy, malted creme brulee.

MF: heavy and syrupy, ok carbonation and warm.

O: this beer is good, but I wouldn't call it great. I'll defiantly be buying it again but not in bulk.

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

Served in a Chimay goblet, bottlet 7/22/11

A = Pours nearly black with a 1/2 finger off-white head which dissipates quickly, with noticeable carbonation

S = wow, butterscotch and vanilla hit you right in the face, followed by a bit of malt, chocolate, slight alcohol at the end

T = creme brulee is spot on, followed by heavy malt, finished off with more hops than expected and a bit of alcohol

M = fairly smooth, but more bitter (not a bad thing) than I expected

D = Overall, this was better than I expected. Not as thick and rich as I had been told and anticipated, the "creme brulee" is a nice touch but not overpowering.

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured into a red wine glass at my hotel(winging it)...

Creme Brulee pours deep dark brown, ample tan head and lacing..looks sticky as I swirl..definately has a nice look to it...

There is no grey area about what this beer is...the smell is one sided..burnt cream and coffee hit the nose, with an undenyable sweetness..smells like dessert..

The taste follows the theme nicely..a sweet burnt coffe with creme and sugar is what I am reminded of..there is a slight hop presence there, and it lingers well with coffee bitterness..alchohol is masked..

Mouthfeel is pleasing, supple and well carbonated, verysatisfying I that aspect..

Overall this beer is not very drinkable, I would find it difficult to finsh this entire 22oz by myself...but it is what it is..a dessert beer..it is called Creme Brulee..and it delivers...

4.06/5  rDev +4.1%

Man, this was more of a teaser than anything...couldn't drink a whole pint if I wanted...

Appearance is dark with webby head that sticks to everything it touches..the drink is so sweet and finishes semi-bitter, I feel like I just ate a sweet treat with each bite. I feel like this is more a novelty beer, i cant imagine this being soeones go-to joint. Enjoyed my little bit, probably gonna pass from here on out..

Enjoy

4.07/5  rDev +4.4%

22 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Black as night with a light tan head that quickly settles to a thin ring around the edges. Pretty typical big stout look to it.

S: This beer smells just like creme brulee! Roasty up front, with loads of vanilla. Hints of chocolate, espresso, and a slightly burnt character lingers in the background.

T: Not as impressive as the smell. Sweet, but not cloyingly so. Bittersweet chocolate, coffee, and overdone toast make up the basic malt profile, and then it hits. Vanilla, more vanilla, and even more vanilla! More of an authentic flavor than artificial. Hops are slightly present on the end, resulting in a dry finish.

Notes: I was skeptical about this beer at first, because I found Choklat to be highly overrated. This one is different. It's a sweet beer, but not overly so that it resembles liquid candy. The only complaint that I have is that it lacks a bit in body and has a thinner than expected mouthfeel. Overall quite tasty. Truly dessert in a glass!

4.64/5  rDev +19%

Very rich and sweet. Small light brown head with little to no lacing. Dark brown/black color.Tastes of caramel, vanilla and burnt chocolate. Smells amazing! Tastes almost as good. Burnt taste lingers a little. Like i said a bit rich but still a delicious sipper!

4.64/5  rDev +19%

This is definitely a rich desert beer to share with others. Grading this for its intentions.

It pours a jet dark black with dark brown edges and a thin mocha head that leaves a thin ring of lace.

Guess what this smells like? Creme brulee! Who would have guessed? Loads of vanilla and marshmallow, burnt carmel, and charred chocolate. Roasted malt, hints of coffee. Intensely sweet...no trace of hops.

The taste is...guess? Creme brulee! Rich chocolate and tons of lingering vanilla. Dark, roasted malts with a campfire burnt marshmallow tste that lingers too long. The burnt taste is what knocks this down from 5 to 4.5. It lingers a bit too long. Rich and sweet and decadent. Quite cloying, but its supposed to be.

Thick and creamy just as you would expect.

Overall, rich and delicious, cloying and sweet. A definite desert sipper to share.

3.74/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours dark brown with red hues with a minimal tan head.

Smells like sweet vanilla milk, caramel and butterscotch

Tastes like sweet vanilla milk, caramel and butterscotch. Finishes with a slight bitter. The vanilla lingers on the tongue. Some coffee emerges.

Mouthfeel is medium with small carbonation.

Overall this is straightforward. Very sweet, pretty good. 22 oz of this got a to be alot.

4.41/5  rDev +13.1%

Out of all the beers that I've reviewed on here, this may have been the one that I looked forward to trying the most. Everyone on here or that I knew that had this either loved it or hated it, and felt that there wasn't quite anything out there that was like sure. As soon as I opened this bottle and got a whiff, I easily knew that this would be the case and couldn't wait to see if the taste would match up to the aroma.

The pour wasn't anything special and the chocolate-hued head didn't last for very long. This looked like soda but with less carbonation and a different form of sweetness. As for the aroma, it was one of the most amazing and strong scents that I've ever picked up from a beer. It seemed like the creme, custard, and cream cheese-treat sweetness couldn't wait to escape the bottle and I found it very indicative of the flavor within the beer itself. This was just a bit tart but the sugar wasn't sticky or syrupy. Instead, the flavors reminded me of the types of desserts that are small, square, and served in cupcake-style wrappers. Just a bit of tartness and lactose to go with the creme-brulee flavor but unlike many others on here, I never considered pouring this down the drain at all.

That's not to say that everyone is going to like this beer. It packs and alcoholic wallop and the flavor will be offsetting to many. While this isn't the best brew that I've had, I think it's safe to say that there isn't anything else on the shelf today that's remotely like this. For anyone who doubts that beer tastes like bitter hops and water, this will challenge that notion pretty strongly. Everyone should give this a sample once, if for no other reason than to see what's possible and expand his/her palate.

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

2011 bottling, just hit shelves in Minnesota.

Pours a deep dark brown, pretty much black in the center, with a light tan head. Good retention, and leaves excellent lacing.

Smells... like dessert. Wow, I didn't really know what to expect, but this is crazy. Massive vanilla bean intoxication, followed by heavy sweetness, a thick richness that's reminiscent of egg yolk. It's bizarre. It smells (shockingly or not, I can't decide) like creme brulee. Very little beer of any sort in the smell at all.

Taste is similar, but now I can tell it's a stout. Those same sweet rich vanilla dessert flavors are followed up by a burst of bitter dark roasted malts. Finish is half-bitter, half-sweet.

Mouthfeel is thick, but on the average for imperial stouts. Medium-low carbonation, long finish.

This is unlike anything I've ever experienced. Definitely a dessert beer - it tastes like dessert! I can't really decide whether I like it or not, and I go back and forth. Depending on my mood, I could easily give this an A or a C. Right now, I'm finding it overwhelming. But dang, it's interesting.

3.74/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving Type - 22oz bottle

Appearance - Dark black with almost no head, and minimal lacing.

Smell - Cream, chocolate, sugars, vanilla, carmal, butterscotch, some malts. Made my mouth water.

Taste - Sweet, vanilla and carmal overload, but not quite as bad as i was figuring. Malts are present but are a bit underwheming with all the sweetness. Has the milk stout flavor along with the alcohol adding some warmth. Some dark fruits are slighty tasted at the end.

Mouthfeel - Thick and coats mouth big time with sugars, alcohol and vanilla. Palette is covered with sweetness and mouth is left a little bitter chocolatey and dry.

Overall - Not bad but a little to much with the alcohol. This is to be a dessert beer but its really intense. I still prefer there chocolate stout to this, its not so sugary sweet and more stout flavored. Also i wish this was in 12 oz bottles, cause for me, this 22oz is a chore to finish.

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

2011 Vintage (about 3 weeks old) poured into Duvel Tulip.

Appearance: This beer looks really good. Oil black with no translucency, even when held to light. Surprisingly, despite the ABV, a nice 2 finger tan head was obtained with a moderate pour. Head stuck around throughout the glass.

Smell: This is, in my opinion, where this beer shines brightest. Smell is incredible. Vanilla bean is front and center; reminiscent of a vanilla milkshake. Caramel in the background with underlying chocolate malt. Make no mistake though, this one is all about the vanilla.

Taste: This is certainly not a brew I would routinely keep stocked. That being said, this is my third time visiting this particular offering. Sweetness doesn't lend itself to frequent consumption, but for those occasions when I am craving a sweet bomb, this is a fantastic option as it more than fits the bill. Vanilla is prevalent as in the nose and a nice creaminess lingers. Caramel and chocolate underneath with some alcohol mid palate and lingering on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied and a bit oily. Moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is pretty good on this one as I do like thick stouts and its appropriate for one this sweet.

Overall: When looking for a sweet bomb dessert beer, this is an excellent choice. My rating of 3.5 reflects the fact that after a bomber of this, you won't likely be reaching for another in the next few months. Wouldn't mind seeing this in 12 ounce bottles to make it a less overwhelming experience.

3.67/5  rDev -5.9%

On Draft at my new favorite beer bar, The Coffee District in Delray Beach, FL

A- Dark black body no light penetration and a creamy off-tan head. head stays through the glass while thinning to the rim of bubbles w/ some in the center, served cold in a cigar city snifter.

S- BUTTERYY, mmm with the alcohol smell it smell of a sweet butterscotch. slight malty smell to back the candy like smell.

T- Creamy buttery and caramalized flavors with strong alcohol mid sip. sweetness from start to finish with not much bitterness only some roasty flavors to balance. dry alcohol finish with 9.8% ABV with some sweet, but not overbearing.

M- Creamy medium body mouthfeel although dryness from alcohol makes it a thinner medium. dry from midsip and finish which is nice since it keeps the beer drinkable.

O- This is a dessert beer dream, very sweet so i don't think it would be more than a glass unless its really your thing (also due to high alcohol). Butterscotch flavors and high alcohol content also make it reminiscent of a liquor so this also docks its drinkablity for me. had a nice lambic type ale after and it was a good beer set for the night. an enjoyable draft treat.

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured into a snifter, this appears pitch black with around two fingers of fluffy khaki head. Sludgy and slick, like used motor oil.

Nose is an eruption of sugary sweetness, with predominating vanilla bean, caramel and toffee with a whiff of alcohol. Magnificent, smells like a freshly roasted smore, plus a kick.

This one would benefit from some time in the cellar. All flavors present within the nose are apparent, yet are not allowed to linger to their full potential because of a overwhelming alcohol presence. Despite that, this is still absolutely delicious and the best dessert beer I've ever had. Cream, charred chocolate, vanilla, dark fruit, marshmallow and the lightest bitterness at the end to remind you that it is in fact, a beer. I'm going to have to age a bottle or two to see how it develops.

Creamy and reasonably full bodied with an oily slick mouthfeel. I wish this came in 12oz bottles as opposed to bombers, as 22oz is a bit overwhelming to take in in one sitting. That said, this is great to split for dessert with a gf/wife who happens to appreciate beer. That's what I did with this bottle anyway.

Overall, a phenomenal dessert-beer hybrid that is just begging for some aging. If its this delicious now, I can only imagine what a year or so would do to mellow out the overly sugary sweetness and alcohol burn that hold this beer back.

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured thick black with a huge khaki head and tons of lacing. smelled of vanilla, caramel, dark chocolate and roasted coffee( maybe). taste was vanilla, bitter dark chocolate and heat from alochol. mouthfeel was thick and bubbly from carbonation. overall i thick some time in the cellar will do this some good. my throat burned from too much sugars and booze.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company