Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
hardy008

2.58/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a dark black color, small tan head after an aggressive pour. Poor retention. Smell is vanilla, burnt sugar, caramel, molasses, and butterscotch. The aroma is the best quality of this beer. Taste is the same as the smell, but also has some burnt coffee flavor. However, the more of this beer I drank, the less I liked it.

The mouthfeel is thick and too syrupy, and is a negative for me.
Drinkability is also questionable. While I liked the flavor initially, this gets harder to drink with each sip or swallow. Would have been better had it not been in a bomber bottle. I was going to share this with someone. She took a few sips and wanted no more.

09-06-2009 19:03:07 | More by hardy008
adamette

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from the 22 oz. bomber that I bought at the brewery this past weekend into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail Pint glass.

A Almost black body (only the extreme edges are a dark dark brown in front of direct light) under a nice, creamy light brown head. Nice look. Appropriate to the style. 4.0

S Wow...there is a lot going on here. There is the sweetest of butterscotch smells, some whole milk goodness and, actually in the distance, some dark roast malt smell. Sweetness is prominent. My first smells actually reminded me of a Vanilla Latte. Nothing if not interesting. 4.5

T/M Wow, again I go to that word...right off I will say this is a big, big beer. Waves of sweet butterscotch malt, coffee, vanilla, dark roast and even a punch of alcohol wash over my taste buds in a very unique beer. I find myself sipping again and again to see if I can find other tastes. There is a syrupy thickness to the beer as well much like vanilla or caramel flavoring that might be added to a coffee. Very big, very sweet, very dark malt. 4.0

D Average drinkability. I will finish the 22 oz. I am sure but one bomber is all that I would likely do. There is a burn of alcohol in the distant aftertaste that I believe would motivate me to limit my intake of this ultimately interesting beer. 3.0

Notes: I enjoyed the more simple Choklat from the same brewery more than this one which tends to be all over the place. This is the 8th and final Soutern Tier beer that I have drank and rated since visiting there last weekend. Through this experience I can safely say that Southern Tier is one of our better craft breweries.

09-05-2009 00:44:15 | More by adamette
patmcd

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

Thee most aromatic, and unique smelling brew I've ever encountered. A little heavy on the palate, but with it's deep hints of sweet vanilla, chocolate, and molasses on the nose, you expected that. It poured almost dark black, with a small white head that vanished rather quickly. It's taste of rich vanilla, caramel, and chocolate malt. But becomes bitter with some coffee and at the end, nicely finishing of the almost overly sweet tone.

09-03-2009 20:00:06 | More by patmcd
blackearth

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

Purchased from the Blatz Beer Cave in Milwaukee, WI. Poured gently into a snifter, this beer was black with a thin tan head. Aroma is of caramelized sugar and taffy; it really does smell just like creme brulee. Full bodied with a smooth mouth feel, this beer had over-the-top flavors of burnt sugar, vanilla and cream. It taste a little too much like real creme brulee. I'm not saying that is necessarily bad, just that 22oz. is a lot of it to drink in one sitting. And I split the bottle with my fiancee. It's definitely a sipper.

09-03-2009 15:26:18 | More by blackearth
FernMaster

Missouri

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from the bomber into a tulip.

Do you like sweet things? You may like this beer. Do you like sweet things that are so sweet they make you exclaim, 'aahhh?' Then that's one step in the right direction. Do you like things that are so sweet they're fluffy pink kittens that poop rainbows? Then Southern Tier's Imperial Crème Brûlée Stout is the beer for you.

The Crème Brûlée Stout pours like a normal stout, motor oil dark. If you hold the beer up to the light it'll eclipse that shit, which is a quality I greatly appreciate in a beer. My pour yielded very little head and I poured it intentionally to yield the maximum amount of head possible. The smell of this beer rocks my nose senses to the max! Seriously, I wish they made candles that smelled like this, because I'd totally go fruity and buy some and have 'em lit 24/7.

"What's that smell? It's like only six in the morning."
"That's mo' fuckin' vanilla mocha sex!"

You know there's vanilla in the beer the moment you smell it, you would have known before that if you read the label. The smell of the vanilla is very dominant, but also present are chocolate characteristics and a hint of coffee. It really smells like a vanilla caramel mocha. Drinking it drives this point home. But boy is Crème Brûlée Stout sweeet! Drinking it can be a little taxing, so you absolutely have to take your time drinking, a sipper as it were. There's a slight amount of hops present but the vanilla beats the hops down like they're Oliver asking for more. It's called Imperial Crème Brûlée Stout for a fucking reason. This is a great dessert beer. In fact I had it once with some double layered chocolate cake and it made my dick move.

Take your time with this beer and if you enjoy sweet things then you'll like this beer. The mouth-feel is thick and rich, it's a real delight to drink. The smell is wonderful and the taste is very unique. Try it.

Plus there's totally cows on the label, what's not to love?

09-02-2009 01:38:43 | More by FernMaster
sophisticated

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

I've had a few from Southern Tier, but, as I have a large sweet tooth, I've been looking forward to trying this one.

Purchased for $8.95 for a 22oz bomber.
Poured into a pint glass.

A) Like a stout! Black except around the edges when held up to the light - very dark brown cola-esque. Cocoa-brown foamy head with decent retention. A small layer lasts on top of the brew and leaves a thick trail of lacing.

S) Upon opening the bottle vanilla pours out of it. Warm vanilla, caramel, sugar, faint malts. Sweet.

T) Ah...Again, extremely sweet. caramel-vanilla-sugar-cream. Subtle hops allow for a bitter bite at the end, making it a little more "beer-like" but it's still dessert. Had a little vanilla ice cream with this - coating my mouth with the vanilla ice cream and taking a sip of the beer brought out its creamy sweetness.

MF) Medium bodied. Good consistency - any thicker may have been overkill.

D) I like sweet things, and am happy to have tried this. However, this is super duper sweet and after about 8 oz. I had enough. Plus it's 10% ABV. After it warmed a bit (from staying in my glass for well over an hour) the alcohol came out in the taste more too. But still enjoyable, and a definite treat.

08-30-2009 21:13:56 | More by sophisticated
OldSchoolGamer

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

Southern Tier are the masters of brewing beer that does not even taste like beer. This one is no exception. Here is my review:

A: Pours a deep black. Head is tan and leaves light lacing. Not super thick, but still very nice.

S/T: The aroma is amazing. Butterscotch, coffee, vanilla, marshmallows, and roasted malts. Taste is very similar. Butterscotch is the main flavor component here. Lots of vanilla and that roasted marshmallow flavor in the background. A touch of coffee and roasted malts. This beer is on the sweet side, but not nearly as sweet as many reviews would lead you to believe. Excellent stout.

M/D: Probably my biggest knock about the beer is the body. More medium bodied than full. It does coat the mouth somewhat. Carbonation is a little higher than I expect for the style. Drinks very well, but this is definetly a sipper. No alcohol presence whatsoever. Drinking a bomber is a great way to spend the night.

Southern Tier seldomly disappoints. This beer is pretty amazing as it exhibits flavors I have never experienced in a beer before. Truely original, this beer is one to seek out. If this beer had a little more body, this would easily be one of the best Imperial Stouts ever. Great Stuff.

08-30-2009 18:43:47 | More by OldSchoolGamer
galleech

4.83/5  rDev +24.5%

A-Black but not as viscous as many Imperial Stouts

S -Vanilla, may be overpoering to some, but this is like a Siren's call to me.

T - As expected a strong vanilla flavor on the attack. The roasted masts show on the midpalate and and finish, leaving no doubt that this is in fact a stout. Also a strong bitterness shows on the finish.

M - A little thin for an Imperial stout but not watery. The mouthfeel really seems to stay out of the way and let the flavors do the talking

D - Very easy to drink even with the strong vanilla taste. There is absolutely no trace of of alcohol heat despite the 10% ABV

Overall I love vanilla and I love this beer. This is a very straightforward beer. if you like stouts and you like vanilla you will like this beer. Hell even if you like one out of two you will still still like this. This is highly recommened for both the beer drinker and and for someone trying to get into craft beer of imperial style beers.

08-30-2009 01:44:30 | More by galleech
BarrytheBear

Wisconsin

2.35/5  rDev -39.4%

On tap at The Alchemy.

Looks nice, smells Bruleetastic, then everything goes down hill.

Sweet, sweet, sweet, mess. Very difficult to fight through the onslaught of pungent dessertiness. Each sip brings a challenge and the glass refuses to be brought down easily. Certainly my mistake for not sampling first. Will not make that mistake again.

Meh

08-27-2009 19:58:10 | More by BarrytheBear
kegger22

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured rich, dark brown with a moderate tan head that quickly faded to a collar. Wow, that's vanilla! That's the aroma. The taste is largely vanilla and SWEEEET. There is some hot, melted caramel in there too, which just adds to the sweetness. Feel was just a little thin, but there was carbonation at the tip of the tongue. Drinkability? Aye, there's the rub. I loved it, but 22 oz was way too much, about 10 oz would have been ideal. SC's Creme Brulee is the perfect dessert beer (as the name would imply). Have some coffee ready (black, no sugar, please).

08-25-2009 04:33:44 | More by kegger22
argock

3.33/5  rDev -14.2%

Served on-tap in a 10oz glass imperial tumbler at Beer Run (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Very dark chestnut brown with cap of french vanilla colored head with various lace marks down the glass.

S: The aroma is extraordinarily pungent and is a bit to high on the artificial extract scale for me. The vanilla, caramel, hazelnut, chocolate and alcohol are all big and bold and unfortunately leave the impression of a highly aspartamed cup of coffee, kind of like using way too much liquid Coffeemate (name your flavor) in coffee.

T: The flavor is dominated by alcohol first then tempered a little by the hefty vanilla, caramel, and chocolate flavors tinged by nutty flavors like hazelnut. This reminds me of Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale in the high extract quotient quality of the flavor. This beer is full of flavor, but the palate doesn't really mix well and instead leaves a disorganized remnant of high-octane liqeur rather than tasting like beer. Warming made a little difference in smoothing out some of the harsh, artificial flavor character, but not enough to change my score. I like the spirit behind this beer, but the execution isn't right on for what I look for in a big stout. Rounded flavor with an emphasis on malt in the profile is what I am looking for rather than a cartoonish combination of flavors that work well in a dessert but not in this brew.

M: The feel is pretty good but a bit thin for the ABV and for all the flavor in this beer. The afteraste is highly phenolic and medicinal.

D: Not all that drinkable and the 10oz were a tall order when all was said and done.

08-25-2009 02:40:05 | More by argock
goblue3509

2.33/5  rDev -39.9%

Pours a dark brown almost black color like a coffee with a thick two finger head. The smell is of overwhelming vanilla and roasted malt, there is a sweet malt smell as well. The taste is overpowering, it is very bitter, but not from hops, like the flavors didn't all match up. There is hints of vanilla as well as roasted malts. The mouthfeel is low carbonation. Overall this is not a very drinkable beer, it is more of a novelty. The taste and smell can be overpowering.

08-24-2009 13:15:17 | More by goblue3509
alleykatking

Indiana

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from 22oz bottle

A- Pours a inky black color in the glass. Nice 1 and a half finger tan/mocha colored head that dies down after about a minute or so. Little lacing on the sides of the glass kind of just fall down and back into the beer.

S- This is a well sweet smelling beer like you couldn't tell from the name. Lots of vanilla jump out at you right away. Chocolate comes at you right under the vanilla aroma. To be honest these were the only two things I could smell. And you could smell this across the room if you had to. Big in aroma. Almost a little too sweet smelling for me.

T- Big sweetness to this beer knocks out all off flavors both good or bad. Big vanilla taste to this at an almost too much mode. Can pick up roasted coffee taste along with a dark chocolate mingle with it. There does seem to be a small hop presence in this beer which to me is strange. Ending on this beer is once again sweet with maybe a hint of some bitterness in the form of black licorice. Just a sweet tasting beer all around that hides a lot of the flavors.

M- Heavy mouthfeel to this. Carbonation on this could have been a little more for me. Swishes around in your mouth like a melted dessert. This is not a bad thing though. Leaves a distint chocolate and vanilla taste in the mouth. Nice vanilla aftertaste makes you want to take another sniff and sip.

D- This is a perfect dessert beer that I could see a lot of non beer drinkers even enjoying. I would only be able to drink a snifter of this at best. It does have an actually good drinkability to it but the sweetness cuts down on its actual drinkability. Will buy some more bottles of this.

08-22-2009 04:45:58 | More by alleykatking
kingcrowing

Vermont

22oz bomber poured in a snifter.

Wow, just as it says this is a Creme Brulee in a glass! it's quite crazy. As soon as you pop the bottle you can taste this and it is one of the best smelling beers since Choklat by Southern Tier. It's not a beer I'd want to have on a daily basis, or even just a beer I'd want to sip alone. But for taking to a party or tasting it's awesome. Something very different that very few breweries could do well.

08-22-2009 02:37:57 | More by kingcrowing
ATvics

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev +16%

On draft at Victoria Gastro Pub.

A-Pitch black in color followed by a hazy brown head.

S-Caramel, butterscotch, white chocolate and vigorous vanilla take over your sence of smell. An incredible bouquet.

T-People that taunt this beer for being too sweet, understand that it's classified as a sweet milk stout. Don't knock this baby for what she is. The flavor packs twice the punch than the aroma, offering more caramel, butterscotch, chocolate, lots of vanilla, and finished by a mild touch of espresso.

M-Big. Rich. Thick.

D-The only drawback. If you have more than one of these I applaud you. Being as complex as it is all across the board, doesn't make it as drinkable as most beers. The aromas and robust flavor catches up to you after a few sips. Not making it bad by any means but just teetering the line of un-drinkablility after a while.

08-22-2009 01:51:57 | More by ATvics
Arbitrator

1.25/5  rDev -67.8%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Courtesy of a trade with funkydelic. Thanks Cameron!

A: Pours a pitch black with a surprisingly light, cream-colored head for an RIS. Retention is about 30 seconds before retreating to a collar of big bubbles, and no lacing down the glass or during swigs. Not much in the way of legs either.

S: Vanilla. Jesus. Like I'm sniffing a bottle of vanilla extract. Cannot smell malt, hops. Just vanilla and some burnt sugar.

T: And that's all I can taste too. Wait. Wait. Chocolate. Roasted malts. Burnt sugar. Ugh. To say this beer is oversweetened is an understatement. I'm beginning to be less and less impressed with Southern Tier's Diabeetus imprint. Please cut the sugar and the vanilla the next time you make this. KTHXBYE.

M: Low carbonation, and a surprisingly thin body that makes it feel like sugar water.

D: Never again. I'm not done with the bottle yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to pour it out before I'm done. This might be the worst beer I've ever had, and it is a testament to my cheapness that I'm still at it.

Incidentally, this is one of those beers that I would use as an example of, "Just because you can make it doesn't mean you should." Really, a creme brulee beer in 22oz form? Who thought that was a good idea? Christ.

08-15-2009 03:51:30 | More by Arbitrator
beerbully

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured into a pint glass

A-Black as oil, very small head and little lacing

S-Caramel, coffee, chocolate, vanilla

T-As advertised. Tastes like something you could get at Starbucks. Lots of caramel, coffee, choco, and vanilla. Tastes just as it smells. This is a sweet beer that you better be in the mood for as I am now. Would be a good dessert beer. Probably could add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to this. Alcohol is well hidden given that its 10%.

M-Thinner than I expected for a Stout as sweet as this. Feels a bit like syrup with some slight carbonation.

D-given the sweetness of this brew, I couldn't drink more than 1 or 2. Given the style, I don't think this is a session beer anyway.

08-14-2009 00:54:29 | More by beerbully
scifan

4.15/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a 22 into a oversized wine glass. Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights when held to the light. Has virtually no head at all.
Smells delicious, like a gourmet dessert. Lots and lots of caramel notes, as well as some vanilla. Picking up some chocolate notes in the background as well, along with coffee and roasty malts.
Taste very similar to smell. Overwhelming caramel, with lots of vanilla. There's a little bitterness from the roasted barley and coffee to provide a little balance.
Mouthfeel is a little thin as I thought this should be a little creamy for all these intense sweet flavors. The sweetness of this detracts from this a little but there is no alcohol flavors to deter either. All in all a very interesting beer from ST.

08-13-2009 02:10:37 | More by scifan
jabel9

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer is just as advertised. Creme Brulee. It smells and tastes just as the dessert does. It is unfair to compare this to other stouts because it is completely different other than color. This is a great dessert beer. Again, the Southern Tier brewery has made a dangerously smooth imperial style beer. The high alcohol content (10%) is masked well and this beer is exceptionally smooth. The flavors wake up all taste buds at all points of the tounge. Each sip is its own adventure. Highly recommended! Cheers!

08-13-2009 01:05:04 | More by jabel9
beerthulhu

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

A: Poured a very dark ruby when held to the light, a dark rich heresy chocolate color in the glass. A frothy 2 finger head sits atop with moderate retention, dark khaki in color, while leaving sparse thin columns for a lacing.

S: The nose was by far one of the most enticing aspects of not only this drink, but probably any drink I ever encountered. A huge rich sweetness of heresy chocolate and vanilla bean are emitted that can be detected from clear across the table, maybe even the room. Like a freshly brewed baby ruth cappuccino with frothy whipped milk and marshmallows this is truly one beer I could sit and smell all day. It is overly sweet but down right ridiculously good, rich, very rewarding and nothing short of a perfect score here.

T: The flavor certainly did not disappoint with regards to a perfect nose delivering nothing less then a stellar performance as well. Rich sweet heresy chocolate with some whipped frothy milk starts things off. Some dark sweetly roasted coffee with vanilla beans soon follow complimenting and providing a nice bridge leading to the middle of the palate where fresh ripe and dark juicy fruit (dates and plums) add to the mixture. The Columbus hops add a soft pungent flowery bitterness (think hop ottin for a prime example) that gently tries to tame the dessert type nature of this drink. The finish finds a beautiful fade of black licorice, some caramelized cane sugar sweetness and a touch of sweetened rum alcohol adding some spicness. Honestly fail to see how you could improve on the nose and flavor here. There is a nice alcohol warming that gently prevents the beer from ending to sweetly and thus adding complexity and a nice finish of warm hot cocoa.

M: slick and lusciously smooth, light in body and with a very flat carbonation presence. A nice slick feel, though maybe a little lighter then anticipated.

D: An incredible drink and probably one of the best per style ive tasted with Lancasters milk stout a close second. Only the 10.0% abv and sweet dessert type nature prevents this from going down any smoother then it already could. Enjoyment was near perfect, second to none. My only parting words would be that this beer seems a bit to sweet and potent to be bottled in a bomber for one serving. This would be best shared with a friend. Consuming a whole bottle by ones self is like eating dinner then having a whole german chocolate cake for desert, a bit overkill volume wise, but there are some of us who cant deny that sweet chocolately calling.

08-10-2009 22:32:41 | More by beerthulhu
BigAl723

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

On tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor.

A: Dark and pretty black. A heavy looking head that is real tan. It's about an inch and a half thick.

S: This is one of the most interesting smelling beers I've ever come across. If you've ever had a cup of flavored Creme Brulee coffee and liked it, you will be in heaven. Carmel, sweet sweet carmel.

T: Carmel and vanilla. There is not much "stout" flavor going on here. Mostly sweet flavors. I can't believe this is 10 percent.

M: Sweet carbonation. Medium feel.

D: Decent drinkability. Although I'm not 100 percent sure if I could drink a lot of this. The sweetness is just a little too much.

Overall it's a really good/unique beer. Sweet and sassy. Southern Tier continues to impress. They make some "out there" beers.

08-10-2009 20:10:44 | More by BigAl723
1santore

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. the color was black with a little tan head that disapated quickly leaving little lacing. The smell was a very pleasing vanilla and carmel. The taste followed suit with smell, with the vanilla up front. It is also very sweet. The mouth feel is very smooth with low carbonation amd a little oily feel(very nice). Over all a very good beer. Would recomend it as an apertif because of it sweetness. A little sweet for my taste but a good sipping beer.

08-08-2009 22:26:27 | More by 1santore
jsg2220

Connecticut

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

Served: 22oz. into a snifter

A: Dark purplish-black, 3/8" of head that quickly builds then fades to almost transparent toward the center.

S: Vanilla custard, buttery caramel, and burnt sugar.

T: Vanilla and burnt sugar -> roasted malts -> hops in the finish, left with a caramel flavor in the mouth.

M: Milky and soft leaving a thick creamy feeling in the mouth and a sugary stickiness on the lips.

D: Have this for dessert.

Etc: Cool bottles with lots of info

08-06-2009 19:45:01 | More by jsg2220
rye726

Colorado

4.68/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours a dark chocolate brown with a thin tan head.

Nose has a huge vanilla presence along with burnt cream, roasted malts, fudge brownies and caramel. Quite impressive.

Taste is very sweet but still well balanced. Loads of vanilla over milky oats, cocoa and rich candies. Bitter hops through the finish.

Full body is nicely carbonated. Quite drinkable considering how much sugar they packed into it.

My least favorite of their imperial stouts, but still pretty damn good. A love hate beer for sure.

08-05-2009 03:37:26 | More by rye726
rhinos00

Colorado

2.6/5  rDev -33%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass.

A- Pours a dark, cola brown. Produced a fingers width of tan colored head. Reduced to a thin ring upon consumption.

S- What a wonderful smelling beer. Huge, potent notes of butterscotch and vanilla. Lots of sweet aromas. Truly smelled like creme brulee.

T- After smelling the aroma my expectations were very high. Unfortunately the taste was borderline unbearable. I like my Dark Lords and other sweet RIS's, but the sweetness in this beer was way too much for me to handle. Getting a nice mixture of cocoa, lactose and vanilla type flavors. Unfortunately these delicate nuances are completely overrun by the immense sweetness.

M- Slightly let down in this area. I was hoping for a creamier, thicker mouthfeel. Despite the lack of viscosity, the lactose in this beer did add some texture.

D- This beer was almost a drain pour from me. While the taste truly did match that of creme brulee, it did not translate to the drinkability. By the time I was nearing the end of the bomber I almost had to hold down the beer from coming back up.

Overall, I applaud Southern Tier's ability to make this beer taste like creme brulee. Unfortunately, the extreme sweetness in this beer did no favors the taste and drinkability. Won't be trying this again...ever.

EDIT: this was much more bearable on-tap...the sweetness was tempered.

08-05-2009 01:01:49 | More by rhinos00