Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours black and completely opaque. There is a large 2 and half inch light tan head with great retention. After the head receeds it leaves some great lacing behind.

The aroma is just plain awesome. It does indeed smell like creme brulee. Huge notes of vanilla hit me up front, but the dark roasted malt still gives some chocolate and even light bit of coffee.

The taste is great. Again, creme brulee for sure. Huge notes of vanilla that are quickly backed by the dark roasty malt giving big notes of chocolate and coffee. It's like dessert, coffee and creme brulee. Quite a finish.

The mouthfeel is again, fantastic. It's full bodied, lightly carbonated and creamy smooth.

Drinkability is shockingly high. The flavor profile is unique and just awesome. The ABV is high, but well incorporated. It's a well crafted beer, it's unique and slightly undervalued in my opinion.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I rated this beer as I did as it is quite amazing it looks great smells great and is quite delicious. When I first smelled this beer I thought waffles and maple syrup or slight chocolate chip cookies.

After seeing some of the reviews of this though I think the ones mentioning butterscotch are right on. I know it's made with vanilla bean but the butterscotch tab really stuck with me about the smell and taste of this one.

It is quite dark is a smooth drink. I gave it a slighly lower score on drinkability as while I like this I don't forsee drinking this one a lot becuase of the sweetness.

4.38/5  rDev +12.6%

22 oz bottle, no freshness date.

Pours a dark ink with garnet edges. Slow rising tan head clinngs to the glass.

Smells wonderful. Buttercream, custard, vanilla frosting, and burnt caramel whiff up the nostrils. smells like the perfect desert.

Taste is very much like the smell, very sweet and filled with cream, vanilla, coffee, chocolate, caramel, butterscotch. All wound up into a little package mmmm tasty.

Being a milk stout it is creamy as fuck, nice full bodied ale with moderate carbonation and a dry finish.

10% abv this stout is a monster. extremely creamy and extremely sweet. Who needs desert when you got beer.

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a 32oz growler yesterday. Poured into Durvel tulip.

A - Poured jet black and a thin tan head built at the top...really nice pouring beer.

S - Dessert!!!! Smells like irish cream with whipped cream. Smells like Bailey's. Fantastic!!!

T - Tastes like it smells. Bailey's Irish creamm...minty, sweet, like mint chocolate ice cream.

M - Thick and rich...doesn't really feel like a beer, more like a milkshake.

D - The ultimate dessert beer. With a nice ABV taboot, possibly the perfect beer to have post dinner when you've got a bit of a sweet tooth and are seeking out a night cap. Not something I'd want to drink a lot of in an evening.

4.28/5  rDev +10%

Shared last Friday with my mother (way to go, Mom). Reviewed from notes.

This "Imperial Milk Stout" pours a thin, hot chocolate brown with a creamy white head that I'd hoped would stick around a bit longer. The carbonation is rather light and the liquid itself looks rich and viscous.

The smell is absolutely perfect. Burnt sugar, caramel, sweet custard, milk, heavy cream and anise liqueur are the most prevalent of the cornucopia of scents on display.

Taste fits the scent brilliantly. Vanilla and oat meet chocolate and a spicy alcoholic burn for a successful and inventive take on the dessert beer. It also packs in the creamy smoothness of a traditional milk stout, but with that extra boozy tingle which produces an interesting juxtaposition. Some dark chocolate and decadent spicing only make this one that much more arousing.

Not to bring up that incredible smoothness again, but it pretty much carries the beer down the hatch, only to be interrupted by the warming singe of ethanol. This alcoholic nature cuts the richness a bit, which is certainly appreciated.

All raves aside, this beer is way too intense (i.e. sweet) to take down on your own. I'd recommend sharing it with a good friend after a nice dinner or at a special event.

Remember the Choklat by Southern Tier? Well, as mentioned before, that is one of five beers in Southern Tier's Blackwater series of Imperial Stouts. The first that I tried, and maybe most ridiculous of them all is the Creme Brulee Milk Stout. This is a beer that really redefines what flavors can exist in beer. Yes, the Choklat was brewed with Swiss chocolate and does has immense bittersweet chocolate flavors and aromas pouring throughout it. But try the Creme Brulee Stout and you will see what I mean.

It has been brewed with vanilla beans to give it a desert like vanilla sweetness, lactose sugar for added smooth character and a sugary sweet body, and among other malts, dark caramel malt. I expect this was the largest portion of the malt used because this beer literally smells and tastes exactly like a Creme Brulee. I've said ridiculous once already, but it's just ridiculous. Really, unless you've had this beer before, you have never had anything like it.

The guys at Southern Tier Are some of my favorite brewers, and they describe the Creme Brulee Stout it so well themselves that I have to reiterate it here:

"We are not the harbingers of truth as some may suggest but it may indeed be argued that our brewing philosophy is tantamount to a dessert with a bellicose past. How, you may ask, would a brewery determine a likeness to hard-coated custard? Our response is simple; it's all in the power of history, and of course, the extra finesse needed to top off a contentious treat with definition.

By comprehending the labyrinthine movement of time, one would not think it strange to trace the errant path of an ordinary object such as a cream dessert only to discover that it has been the cause of cultural disputes since the middle ages. The British founders of burnt cream and from Spain, crema catalana, both stand by their creative originality and we respect that, but it was the French Crème Brûlée, amid the strife of contention, that survived to represent our deliciously creamy brew."

History and finesse may have come together to create this beer, but I have come to drink it! While it may sound like desert, it does pack a punch at 9.2% abv. It is after all in the Imperial Stout series. But fret not, this beer knows exactly how to handle the power. Pour this big stout from its 650ml bottle into a nice deep chalice with a slight tulip to catch some of the aromas.

It will flow out thick and smooth showing an oil like consistency building a black monstrous beer with a mocha tan head. The foam is dense but short and will live only for a few minutes before it fades to a soft film on the jet black beer. Into the light the stout shows but a glimpse of color; amber browns glimmer, but shadows take over with deep oily black waves as the light fades.

The nose is my favorite thing about this beer, more so than the taste even. It's just straight creme brulee with a mild alcoholic, almost cognac finish. I'm not exaggerating either. Its it packed with deep caramel, butterscotch, touches of toffee, vanilla, creme, warm butter, a hint of smoke and roast, and finishes with a warm aged spirit sensation. When I first had a bottle of this I finished it, but never cleaned the bottle - I kept it to reserve the scent to show and amaze my friends. Seriously!

So I was pretty excited by this point and couldn't wait to get into this beer. I served it at cellar temperature (14C, 57F) anticipating a lasting brew that would gradually warm in temperature and flavor. Its a bit of a rush when you first let the stout in your mouth. Massive caramel malts and vanilla crash down on your tongue and flood your palate with rich flavors. For a second all I can get it sweet caramel, toffee and power, but soon vanilla, butterscotch and bitter chocolate make their way across your cheeks and fill every cavity.

Smoke and roasted malts are manifesting themselves on my palate now as the beer warms a touch, and more bitter chocolate begins to show itself. Soft hop bitterness can be found in the back, but is severely dominated by candied vanilla, caramelized sugar, roast and heavy sweet malts. The finish is wamring and cognac like as the nose depicted, and overall alcohol is somewhat apparent in smooth light heat.

It is definitely a treat, but would be very difficult to finish 22oz to myself. It is not as balanced as the Choklat, and is also a bit more brash. Overall I think the Choklat is the better beer, but the Creme Brulee Stout is the crown pleaser, and certainly makes a bigger statement.

1.83/5  rDev -53%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I tried this beer twice within a seven month span. Both attempts were out of 22oz bombers and both attempts arrived at the same conclusion: interesting idea on paper, murder in real life.

Pours a dark brown/black, normal-to-thinner consistency, about a finger or two of tan head that dissipated in short order. No real lacing down the sides of the glass at all.

This beer could be on the moon and you'd still be able to smell it. Vanilla sugars are present in massive quantity. In the aroma department, at the very least, they nailed what they were going for. The nose is the best thing this has going for it.

Which is good, because the taste is one part Vanilla/Cake-Frosting and one part alcohol with both parts trying to dominate the hell out of things. Woof. You are hard pressed to get anything else out of this chaos. Letting the beer warm up a bit DOES dial things down a notch - the problem is that it just drops it from 10+ intensity to like 9. It's still gallons of sweet on top of gallons of booziness with very little blending of the two. You might get some toasted malt notes in there every sip or two, but with the massive sugar bomb involved, it ends up tasting like burnt marshmallow. I don't think using a milk stout as the backbone was a good call - oatmeal might have been better. But, hey, if you like near-sickeningly sweet monster imperials, this may work for you.

Feel is your typical milk stout - it's going to be on the thinner side of things. The reduction in carbonation didn't do this beer any favors.

Pair it with something and you might get out alive. But this is not a stand-alone beer and nothing I can conceive of spending money on. Slight bummer since I think Southern Tier has winners on their roster - this, however, is not one of them.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

22oz Bomber / Snifter glass

A: Black with a creamy beige head.

S: Caramel, vanilla, lactose & brown sugar, reminds me of a "Werther's Original" candy.

T: Caramelized sugar, a "cafe con leche" hint, bits of caramel malt and sweet vanilla.

M: Nice and creamy with medium to full body. Flavor is long lasting and tongue coating.

D: A bit sweet, but as a dessert beer...it's perfect!!! I couldn't fathom making a session of this beer, but I guess that's not the purpose here.

I can pair this with Vanilla ice cream and fresh raspberries.

Can you say FLAN!!!

Salud!

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Thanks to both SneezyAchew and G311 for sending this as an extra!

A: Pours dark brown with a compact, pale beige head that dissipates rather quickly. Some spotty lacing is left in its wake.

S: As soon as I popped the cap, a blast of vanilla hit my nostrils, and the aroma from the glass is no different. Deep, rich vanilla bean up front, followed by caramel and some light dairy notes in the background. What it lacks in complexity, it makes up for in richness and hitting its target.

T: More complexity is evident right away as a mix of caramel, roasted malts, and some light coffee start things off. Some dark cherries and plums come in mid-palate before giving way to massive vanilla that sticks through the finish. A residual roastiness comes in to form a burnt vanilla/caramel aftertaste, living up to the beer's name.

M: Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation, could be a little thicker and creamier.

D: Nowhere near the diabetes-inducing sweetness that I've heard, this is a very enjoyable, easy drinking sweet stout.

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

Got a bottle at my local D's six packs for 9.50 a while ago. Cracked it tonight for no reason

A - Pours jet black. No light can escape it's pure blackness. A strong pour produced a great looking mocha head with very lacing. Pretty nice.

S - OMG really the best part of the beer! Smells of pure vanilla bean almost like an ice cream. Smells so strong I can smell it a foot away as I type. Amazing.

T - Well it's was pretty awesome. The flavor masked the ABV to the point of drinking it warm un-noticeable. However it really only has a mild tone of vanilla masked with the slight coffee and chocolate tones of the Imperial Stout. Not as overwhelming and "sweet" as most describe it here so is everyone's tastes buds better than mine. Peculiar...

M - Actually quite medium bodied. ST is know for high ABV and great drinkability and this one is a perfect 5 here.

D - Well I may have to wait a year and try this again. Maybe I need more bitter to really enjoy this candy of a beer? Maybe the batch needs more age or less age? It's not terrible and I could easily drink another but alias my expectations were too high again but this doesn't affect my review, A grade beer all the way!

Edit: And just to be clear the beer is now 10 percent by volume. They really need to change that.

4.45/5  rDev +14.4%

A- Dark, dark brown with a tan head

S- Vanilla and caramel, creme brulee! I hope it tastes as good as it smells!

T- Not nearly as strong as the nose -- malts underlie it all with the vanilla and caramel creme brulee taste staying with you for a while afterwards

M- Full bodied and creamy

D- Quite a unique beer! It really tastes like creme brulee! A lot of fun to return to.

4.53/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured at Trappeze Pub in Athens.

A- Dark brown, almost oil black with basically no head.

S- True to its name, it smells like creme brulee. It's an obvious, almost overpowering smell.

T- Likely what you would expect a creme brulee beer to taste like: caramel and cream.

M- An overwhelming creamy feel.

D- I've never had a beer quite like this one. It's a great idea and well-executed by Southern Tier. Because it's 9.2 percent, I'm glad I only had a half pour at Trappeze, as I had just spent the earlier part of my evening at the Terrapin Brewery. I let everyone at the table try it, and it had favorable reviews by all, including the one non-beer drinker in the group.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

A- Dark brown almost black with a thin layer of head

s- Vanilla and caramel shout out through the smell of this beer

T- Sweet Vanilla and caramel taste just like the smell. strong malt background as well. Just a ton of flavor coming at you

M- Thick and creamy

D- Perfect desert beer.

I have have had this one time before this review so I knew what I was getting into. I served some steak with a smoked beer and served this beer with a chocolate mousse pie. worked out perfectly.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

I purchased a growler at the Brass Rail, Campbeltown. The sweet smell of Creme Brulee filled the air as I popped open the top of the growler. As I poured the hazy dark red/brown brew into the glass a finger width carmel head appeared. As the head dissipated and laced its way around the glass, I noticed that light barely penetrated through the ruby red haze. The smell was intoxicating. The Aroma of Creme Brulee dominated along with a hint of caramel. The taste of caramel sweetness hits the pallet along with a heavy dose of malts followed by pronounced hop bitterness. The taste of alcohol is present as all the flavors blended together like Creme Brulee mixed with rum! The unique style, American Double/Imperial Stout has been brought to fruition! The mouthfeel was rich, heavy and sticky. The thickness of the beer adds to the dessert like experience. The dessert, Creme Brulee is never served in great quantities due to its richness. Just like this beer, rich in character, is meant to be savored in small quantities. Drinking this beer was a great experience, one that I would highly recommend. A case of the Southern Tier Creme Brulee is one you should lay away only to be awaken on winter nights.

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%

I have to preface this with the fact that this beer is following a KBS.

A- Pours a deep black with a 1/2 head that fades to a slight covering and lasts through the session.

S- Huge vanilla. I really don't smell anything but that.

T- The first and overwhelming taste to me is maple syrup and vanilla. I can see myself enjoying this with a stack of pancakes. lol

D- It's a little too sweet for my liking. The sweet notes that come through are a bit over powering. Definitely not a sipper and the 10% ABV is hidden very well. Not a session beer by any means!!

4.65/5  rDev +19.5%

A: It appears the same as what you'd expect from a stout. A rich dark brown/black color with a tan off-white head. Head retention is very good with decent lacing. It doesn't stick to the glass as much as I'd expect with a name like "creme."

S: Wow, I have had many stouts and porters that tout the vanilla name, but this is truly a strong vanilla and lactose smell. After opening the bottle cap it is evident that this beer contains both. Sniffing it of the glass there is more malt character present and it is amazing.

T: Well this tastes as good as it smells. I taste no alcohol and at 10.0% that is a feat with such light flavors as this. It is very very sweet and would probably go well with a desert or even something to drink during Christmas eve. There is a very slight hint of bitterness after drinking, but it is barely noticeable.

M: This feels like you're drinking a desert. It coats your mouth with wonderful sensations and even non-beer lovers could sip on this. It is a wonderful surprise when first tasting it.

D: Unfortunately this is too sweet for me. I love the beer but found that I quickly became tired of the sweetness of it. As mentioned before, it is very smooth and desert like, so pick it up if you have a sweet tooth! I recommend sharing with one or more people because I assume most people would have a hard time finishing the whole thing.

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured a very dark brown almost black with a half finger of tan head that left a little sticky lacing on the glass. The nose was really sweet smelling already but was quite nice which consisited of vanilla. Caramel, burnt sugar. And slight honey notes. It really does have a creme brulee aroma; very unique. The taste basically mirrored the nost but the beer was really rich in flavor with caramel, burnt sugar, and vanilla domniating the palate. There was also faint underlying roasted coffee notes as well. The brew was medium body with a fair amount of carbonation that had a really sweet and rich finish. The beer is absolutely tasty but is pretty hard to drink considering the overwhelming richness and sweetness, its definitely a dessert beer for sure. I would love to have plenty of these in stock for after dinners.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottle. This is a very unique beer. Black pour with a tan, creamy head. Notes of vanilla, burnt sugar and chocolate malts. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Certainly full bodied. This is a great beer, but it is a bit sweet. Perfect for sharing because a small taste will go a long way.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

A: Pours into the glass very smoothly, like water. It's a very dark beer, almost black, with a tan head that is mostly diminishing.

S: This beer has a overwhelming aroma. You immediately smell sweetness- caramel, brown sugar, and vanilla. It lives up to it's name.

T: There is no doubt that this is a dessert beer. It's extremely rich, yet smooth. One of the sweetest beers I've ever drank, but it is still well balance and taste exactly how it smells. Definately a sipping beer.

M: Smooth, creamy, mild carbonation.

D: Love this beer. Can't chug it that's for sure. Love to use this as a b&t (with hard cider). Whenever I can't decide I want a beer or dessert, this is a great compromise.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

A - dark in color very little light comes through pours with a head however quickly disapates to nothing wasnt to thrilled about that

S - absolutely awesome i didnt want to drink the beer at all wanted to just sniff it the whole night Glade plug ins could really use this smell lol the smell was very rich and sweet of vanilla and carmel

T - was great and flavors came and went as the beer changed tempature at first the beer is very sweet vanilla flavor slight carmel tones as the beer gets warmer coffee and chocolate flavors become present along with a bitterness in the third stage of the beer the sweetness mellows out and chocolate is the most promounced flavor

M - very little carbonation and no foaminess in the mouth since there is no head

D - beer is very rich and sweet however it is well balanced but i would say it is strictly a dessert beer

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%

Shared this one with my girl after dinner..poured into a snifter

A:Nice Dark pour with a thin tan head that quickly dies down with not much lacing

S:WOW..lots caramel flavor coming thru with a very sweet smelling vanilla as well.

T:Sweetness hits the palate like a bomb from the carmalized malts, then a hint of vanilla/coffee afterwards. Not much alcohol burn here which is surprising considering the ABV

M:A medium felt body with a slight tingle of carbonation

D:A super sweet tasting Imperial Milk Stout, Fairly easy to drink and definitly more of a dessert to sip and enjoy

3.1/5  rDev -20.3%

A - Pours a very dark brown, almost black, with a streak or cherry red; very little dark tan head that retains to the edges and laces nicely

S - Caramelized sugar predominantly, with vanilla and just a hint of coffee...very, very sweet smelling

T&M - Full bodied with very little carbonation. Very thick feeling but smooth. Alcohol is palatable with a defined warmth in the back of the throat. Very sweet; doesn't taste like creme brule per se, but does taste like the caramelized top of the brule. Notes of vanilla with lots of lactic sugar and a bit of coffee. Finish is somewhat sticky, and the sweetness that remains on the palate is almost cloying.

D - Very sweet, high ABV, sticky finish...enjoyable, but this is a one bottle sipper.

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%

22 oz bottle from The Hop & Vine. Surprised to still see some of the choice beers that they had around.

A: This is a relatively flat beer. The head dissipated quickly. A beautiful dark color that shows little light when held up to a lamp.

S: This beer smells like caramel, chocolate, vanilla, & whipped cream. Awesome!

T: Rich, smooth, "It's just like chocolate creme brulee" she said.

M: Yeah the mouthfeel is smooth. I kind of thought I already told you that.

D: This is the best beer that I have have from Southern Tier so far. I love the Black Water Series, but their other brews are also quite choice as well. I highly recommend this beer, but it does have a very high ABV.

4.18/5  rDev +7.5%

appearance: pitch black with low head retention

smell: Hughmugus creamy caramel aroma. amazing...roasted malt, subtle coffee/chocolate,

taste: tastes liek it smells and reaslly does capture creme brulee. Amazed The swettness is not balanced though. Nice beer though

mouthfeel: big full bodied

drinkability: Amzing smell the was the best part and a great beer for dessert, paired or on its own.

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

Talk about niche beers! Here is a dessert beer if I ever tasted one.

A: Poured ink black from my bomber and produced one finger of fine deep oak colored head. Lacing was minimal.

S: Vanilla, caramel, milk and caramelized sugar (close your eyes and think the dessert Creme Brulee!).

T: Caramelized sugar, roasted coffee, sweet cream and Kahula.

M: Rich and full on the palate. Heavy coating properties one would associate with cream.

D: A better dessert beer I have never had before. Truly creative offering from Southern Tier and very aptly named.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company