Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter glass. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours pretty thick and pitch black that produced a 2 finger light brown to gray head that is staying around for awhile. Diminished, but is still present after a few minutes.

(S)- Wow! Sweet and creamy milk chocolate malted shake with cinnamon, vanilla, and essences of coffee. Amazing smell that I cant get enough of! Has an interesting french vanilla creamer aroma to it.

(T)- Ample roasted malts that are lightly bittering that is followed by dusty cocoa and sweet creamy vanilla on the finish. Some bits of butterscotch within.

(M)- Very creamy sweet with plenty of roasted malts to supplement it. Good balance, but very sweet overall. Very much a dessert beverage; not your normal imperial stout. Great carbonation level. The high 10%abv is integrated very well.

(D)- A unique stout with the addition of being brewed with vanilla beans. Very sweet, but is somewhat balanced by the roasted malts. Share the 22oz. with a friend; almost too rich and sweet to drink by yourself.

sweemzander, Sep 21, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a motor-oil black color with a brown one-finger head into my fluted glass. Pretty much the proper color.

Aroma is full of vanilla, caramel and cream in the nose. Very interesting. Only a whiff of chocolate.

Taste is sweet with caramel, vanilla and cream flavors mingling in the mouth, followed by a roasted coffee and chocolate feel in the middle. Somewhat subdued, never overpowering.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering flavors mentioned above. Carbonation is a bit high and only a bit of alcohol warmth shows up. Otherwise, pretty easy-drinking for the flavors in it.

I was expecting something creamier but this stout has an interesting mix of flavors. It tends to get better as it warms up though. Worth a try at least once but ST makes better boundary-pushing imperial beers (Choklat for example).

Brad007, Sep 19, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a snifter.

Pours super dark, murky brown that is completely opaque, which is expected of stouts. Minimal caramel colored head that all but dissipates into nothingness. The smell is super, super sweet. Vanilla is the most obvious scent, but after a few more sniffs, I can make out coffee, chocolate and the tiniest malty backside. It's like sniffing a milkshake made with Kahlua. Wow.

Sweetness is definitely the order of the day here. I tasted the coffee, cream and vanilla on the front end, which was definitely a unique experience. It was sweet, but not a saccharine sweetness since that would have been a little too much even for someone like me who prefers his beers not too bitter. Speaking of bitterness, the hops assert themselves after the first few seconds, reminding you that you're drinking beer and not a milkshake. It finishes off with both sweetness and bitterness, the hoppy zip and the creamy lushness combining to provide a back end that is quite pleasant. For a brew that has 10% ABV, I certainly didn't taste it at all, as it was masked behind all the other flavors that came out to play. The beer's full body and minimum carbonation allow for the stoutness to really shine through. Nice and thick, which is how a stout should be.

For someone like me who enjoys beers that aren't too hoppy, this is a great drink. Thanks to the wonderful smell and balanced taste (with very well-hidden alcohol content), this is something I would most certainly drink again. Definitely have to check out the other Southern Tier offerings after this.

r0nyn, Sep 14, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours an extremely dark brown with a tan colored head. Aroma is what you would expect for something called creme brulee. Tons of vanilla and caramel. Taste is more of the same along with some burnt sugar. Very sweet. This one is tough to drink. The first time I had this I couldnt finish the bottle by myself, it became too much. The second time I wisely shared it with a group of people and it was much more enjoyable with a small glassful as a nightcap. Definitely one of the most unique stouts I have ever had.

hckyfn9999, Sep 14, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

~Purchased this 22 oz bomber from Big Z Beverage in Huntington, NY. You are either going to love this concoction or hate it. I actually enjoyed every moment of this gem from the first sip to its last. Even if imperial milk stout's aren't your thing, you should give this beer a try at least once - you will not be disappointed! The 10% ABV is undetectable, so drink carefully. Wonderful beer! ~

Goldfish19, Sep 12, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

This poured an opaque dark mahogany with some dark tan head. It smelled crazy sweet, like marshmallows and vanilla and confectioners sugar, with some heavily creamed coffee and a bit of oak. It tasted like burnt sugar and French vanilla and rich caramel, with coffee and cream and toffee. It was somewhat thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a bittersweet aftertaste. Overall...wow. This beer is so sweet. I had read other accounts of it, and they're not exaggerating. Luckily I have a pretty big sweet tooth, so I really enjoyed it, but I could definitely understand if others can't stand it. It's a polarizing beer. It actually reminded me more of tiramisu than creme brulee, due to the hints of coffee. Still, despite the sweetness, I thought it was surprisingly complex (many different types of sweet) and enjoyable. It hid the alcohol super well, but this beer definitely needs to be sipped. I'd easily buy this again, and I'm curious how it might age.

Pencible, Sep 11, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a bottle and consumed September 2009.

A: Big, black, and thick. Minor tan colored head.

S: Nauseatingly sweet scent. Cotton candy, caramelized sugar, and yes, creme brulee. Wow. Overpowering scent. I could smell this across the room.

T: Toasted oats, french vanilla or irish cream flavored coffee, and toffee. Some minor bittering elements through it (mostly from the burned sugar and coffee) but more sweet than not.

M: Very thick, with little carbonation. Not particularly oily or silky - just thick.

D: Not particularly drinkable to me. I don't particularly like it, but my wife definitely feels the opposite.

jnn4v, Sep 11, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +1%

The appearance is typical for the style with a dark red brown color bordering on black with an average head for the style. The head is foamy and fizzy making it not quite right bu still nice. The aroma is probably the best I have ever encountered. It has the richest Creme Beulee I have ever encountered, maybe even more than the real thing. Outstanding! The taste is not as impressive but still quite good. It has cream, chocolate, coffee, caramel, molasses, toffee, and bitter hops. The bitter hops ruin what could possibly be one of the best combination of flavors in any beer. The mouthfeel is only average bordering on thin and not right for the style. The drinkability is seriously hurt by the astringent hops but this is a seriously good beer!

nick76, Sep 06, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -33.7%

Pours a dark black color, small tan head after an aggressive pour. Poor retention. Smell is vanilla, burnt sugar, caramel, molasses, and butterscotch. The aroma is the best quality of this beer. Taste is the same as the smell, but also has some burnt coffee flavor. However, the more of this beer I drank, the less I liked it.

The mouthfeel is thick and too syrupy, and is a negative for me.
Drinkability is also questionable. While I liked the flavor initially, this gets harder to drink with each sip or swallow. Would have been better had it not been in a bomber bottle. I was going to share this with someone. She took a few sips and wanted no more.

hardy008, Sep 06, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from the 22 oz. bomber that I bought at the brewery this past weekend into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail Pint glass.

A Almost black body (only the extreme edges are a dark dark brown in front of direct light) under a nice, creamy light brown head. Nice look. Appropriate to the style. 4.0

S Wow...there is a lot going on here. There is the sweetest of butterscotch smells, some whole milk goodness and, actually in the distance, some dark roast malt smell. Sweetness is prominent. My first smells actually reminded me of a Vanilla Latte. Nothing if not interesting. 4.5

T/M Wow, again I go to that word...right off I will say this is a big, big beer. Waves of sweet butterscotch malt, coffee, vanilla, dark roast and even a punch of alcohol wash over my taste buds in a very unique beer. I find myself sipping again and again to see if I can find other tastes. There is a syrupy thickness to the beer as well much like vanilla or caramel flavoring that might be added to a coffee. Very big, very sweet, very dark malt. 4.0

D Average drinkability. I will finish the 22 oz. I am sure but one bomber is all that I would likely do. There is a burn of alcohol in the distant aftertaste that I believe would motivate me to limit my intake of this ultimately interesting beer. 3.0

Notes: I enjoyed the more simple Choklat from the same brewery more than this one which tends to be all over the place. This is the 8th and final Soutern Tier beer that I have drank and rated since visiting there last weekend. Through this experience I can safely say that Southern Tier is one of our better craft breweries.

adamette, Sep 05, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Thee most aromatic, and unique smelling brew I've ever encountered. A little heavy on the palate, but with it's deep hints of sweet vanilla, chocolate, and molasses on the nose, you expected that. It poured almost dark black, with a small white head that vanished rather quickly. It's taste of rich vanilla, caramel, and chocolate malt. But becomes bitter with some coffee and at the end, nicely finishing of the almost overly sweet tone.

patmcd, Sep 03, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -8%

Purchased from the Blatz Beer Cave in Milwaukee, WI. Poured gently into a snifter, this beer was black with a thin tan head. Aroma is of caramelized sugar and taffy; it really does smell just like creme brulee. Full bodied with a smooth mouth feel, this beer had over-the-top flavors of burnt sugar, vanilla and cream. It taste a little too much like real creme brulee. I'm not saying that is necessarily bad, just that 22oz. is a lot of it to drink in one sitting. And I split the bottle with my fiancee. It's definitely a sipper.

blackearth, Sep 03, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from the bomber into a tulip.

Do you like sweet things? You may like this beer. Do you like sweet things that are so sweet they make you exclaim, 'aahhh?' Then that's one step in the right direction. Do you like things that are so sweet they're fluffy pink kittens that poop rainbows? Then Southern Tier's Imperial Crème Brûlée Stout is the beer for you.

The Crème Brûlée Stout pours like a normal stout, motor oil dark. If you hold the beer up to the light it'll eclipse that shit, which is a quality I greatly appreciate in a beer. My pour yielded very little head and I poured it intentionally to yield the maximum amount of head possible. The smell of this beer rocks my nose senses to the max! Seriously, I wish they made candles that smelled like this, because I'd totally go fruity and buy some and have 'em lit 24/7.

"What's that smell? It's like only six in the morning."
"That's mo' fuckin' vanilla mocha sex!"

You know there's vanilla in the beer the moment you smell it, you would have known before that if you read the label. The smell of the vanilla is very dominant, but also present are chocolate characteristics and a hint of coffee. It really smells like a vanilla caramel mocha. Drinking it drives this point home. But boy is Crème Brûlée Stout sweeet! Drinking it can be a little taxing, so you absolutely have to take your time drinking, a sipper as it were. There's a slight amount of hops present but the vanilla beats the hops down like they're Oliver asking for more. It's called Imperial Crème Brûlée Stout for a fucking reason. This is a great dessert beer. In fact I had it once with some double layered chocolate cake and it made my dick move.

Take your time with this beer and if you enjoy sweet things then you'll like this beer. The mouth-feel is thick and rich, it's a real delight to drink. The smell is wonderful and the taste is very unique. Try it.

Plus there's totally cows on the label, what's not to love?

FernMaster, Sep 02, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had a few from Southern Tier, but, as I have a large sweet tooth, I've been looking forward to trying this one.

Purchased for $8.95 for a 22oz bomber.
Poured into a pint glass.

A) Like a stout! Black except around the edges when held up to the light - very dark brown cola-esque. Cocoa-brown foamy head with decent retention. A small layer lasts on top of the brew and leaves a thick trail of lacing.

S) Upon opening the bottle vanilla pours out of it. Warm vanilla, caramel, sugar, faint malts. Sweet.

T) Ah...Again, extremely sweet. caramel-vanilla-sugar-cream. Subtle hops allow for a bitter bite at the end, making it a little more "beer-like" but it's still dessert. Had a little vanilla ice cream with this - coating my mouth with the vanilla ice cream and taking a sip of the beer brought out its creamy sweetness.

MF) Medium bodied. Good consistency - any thicker may have been overkill.

D) I like sweet things, and am happy to have tried this. However, this is super duper sweet and after about 8 oz. I had enough. Plus it's 10% ABV. After it warmed a bit (from staying in my glass for well over an hour) the alcohol came out in the taste more too. But still enjoyable, and a definite treat.

sophisticated, Aug 30, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +10%

Southern Tier are the masters of brewing beer that does not even taste like beer. This one is no exception. Here is my review:

A: Pours a deep black. Head is tan and leaves light lacing. Not super thick, but still very nice.

S/T: The aroma is amazing. Butterscotch, coffee, vanilla, marshmallows, and roasted malts. Taste is very similar. Butterscotch is the main flavor component here. Lots of vanilla and that roasted marshmallow flavor in the background. A touch of coffee and roasted malts. This beer is on the sweet side, but not nearly as sweet as many reviews would lead you to believe. Excellent stout.

M/D: Probably my biggest knock about the beer is the body. More medium bodied than full. It does coat the mouth somewhat. Carbonation is a little higher than I expect for the style. Drinks very well, but this is definetly a sipper. No alcohol presence whatsoever. Drinking a bomber is a great way to spend the night.

Southern Tier seldomly disappoints. This beer is pretty amazing as it exhibits flavors I have never experienced in a beer before. Truely original, this beer is one to seek out. If this beer had a little more body, this would easily be one of the best Imperial Stouts ever. Great Stuff.

OldSchoolGamer, Aug 30, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +24.2%

A-Black but not as viscous as many Imperial Stouts

S -Vanilla, may be overpoering to some, but this is like a Siren's call to me.

T - As expected a strong vanilla flavor on the attack. The roasted masts show on the midpalate and and finish, leaving no doubt that this is in fact a stout. Also a strong bitterness shows on the finish.

M - A little thin for an Imperial stout but not watery. The mouthfeel really seems to stay out of the way and let the flavors do the talking

D - Very easy to drink even with the strong vanilla taste. There is absolutely no trace of of alcohol heat despite the 10% ABV

Overall I love vanilla and I love this beer. This is a very straightforward beer. if you like stouts and you like vanilla you will like this beer. Hell even if you like one out of two you will still still like this. This is highly recommened for both the beer drinker and and for someone trying to get into craft beer of imperial style beers.

galleech, Aug 30, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -39.6%

On tap at The Alchemy.

Looks nice, smells Bruleetastic, then everything goes down hill.

Sweet, sweet, sweet, mess. Very difficult to fight through the onslaught of pungent dessertiness. Each sip brings a challenge and the glass refuses to be brought down easily. Certainly my mistake for not sampling first. Will not make that mistake again.

Meh

BarrytheBear, Aug 27, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured rich, dark brown with a moderate tan head that quickly faded to a collar. Wow, that's vanilla! That's the aroma. The taste is largely vanilla and SWEEEET. There is some hot, melted caramel in there too, which just adds to the sweetness. Feel was just a little thin, but there was carbonation at the tip of the tongue. Drinkability? Aye, there's the rub. I loved it, but 22 oz was way too much, about 10 oz would have been ideal. SC's Creme Brulee is the perfect dessert beer (as the name would imply). Have some coffee ready (black, no sugar, please).

kegger22, Aug 25, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -14.4%

Served on-tap in a 10oz glass imperial tumbler at Beer Run (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Very dark chestnut brown with cap of french vanilla colored head with various lace marks down the glass.

S: The aroma is extraordinarily pungent and is a bit to high on the artificial extract scale for me. The vanilla, caramel, hazelnut, chocolate and alcohol are all big and bold and unfortunately leave the impression of a highly aspartamed cup of coffee, kind of like using way too much liquid Coffeemate (name your flavor) in coffee.

T: The flavor is dominated by alcohol first then tempered a little by the hefty vanilla, caramel, and chocolate flavors tinged by nutty flavors like hazelnut. This reminds me of Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale in the high extract quotient quality of the flavor. This beer is full of flavor, but the palate doesn't really mix well and instead leaves a disorganized remnant of high-octane liqeur rather than tasting like beer. Warming made a little difference in smoothing out some of the harsh, artificial flavor character, but not enough to change my score. I like the spirit behind this beer, but the execution isn't right on for what I look for in a big stout. Rounded flavor with an emphasis on malt in the profile is what I am looking for rather than a cartoonish combination of flavors that work well in a dessert but not in this brew.

M: The feel is pretty good but a bit thin for the ABV and for all the flavor in this beer. The afteraste is highly phenolic and medicinal.

D: Not all that drinkable and the 10oz were a tall order when all was said and done.

argock, Aug 25, 2009
2.33/5  rDev -40.1%

Pours a dark brown almost black color like a coffee with a thick two finger head. The smell is of overwhelming vanilla and roasted malt, there is a sweet malt smell as well. The taste is overpowering, it is very bitter, but not from hops, like the flavors didn't all match up. There is hints of vanilla as well as roasted malts. The mouthfeel is low carbonation. Overall this is not a very drinkable beer, it is more of a novelty. The taste and smell can be overpowering.

goblue3509, Aug 24, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -1%

Poured from 22oz bottle

A- Pours a inky black color in the glass. Nice 1 and a half finger tan/mocha colored head that dies down after about a minute or so. Little lacing on the sides of the glass kind of just fall down and back into the beer.

S- This is a well sweet smelling beer like you couldn't tell from the name. Lots of vanilla jump out at you right away. Chocolate comes at you right under the vanilla aroma. To be honest these were the only two things I could smell. And you could smell this across the room if you had to. Big in aroma. Almost a little too sweet smelling for me.

T- Big sweetness to this beer knocks out all off flavors both good or bad. Big vanilla taste to this at an almost too much mode. Can pick up roasted coffee taste along with a dark chocolate mingle with it. There does seem to be a small hop presence in this beer which to me is strange. Ending on this beer is once again sweet with maybe a hint of some bitterness in the form of black licorice. Just a sweet tasting beer all around that hides a lot of the flavors.

M- Heavy mouthfeel to this. Carbonation on this could have been a little more for me. Swishes around in your mouth like a melted dessert. This is not a bad thing though. Leaves a distint chocolate and vanilla taste in the mouth. Nice vanilla aftertaste makes you want to take another sniff and sip.

D- This is a perfect dessert beer that I could see a lot of non beer drinkers even enjoying. I would only be able to drink a snifter of this at best. It does have an actually good drinkability to it but the sweetness cuts down on its actual drinkability. Will buy some more bottles of this.

alleykatking, Aug 22, 2009

22oz bomber poured in a snifter.

Wow, just as it says this is a Creme Brulee in a glass! it's quite crazy. As soon as you pop the bottle you can taste this and it is one of the best smelling beers since Choklat by Southern Tier. It's not a beer I'd want to have on a daily basis, or even just a beer I'd want to sip alone. But for taking to a party or tasting it's awesome. Something very different that very few breweries could do well.

kingcrowing, Aug 22, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

On draft at Victoria Gastro Pub.

A-Pitch black in color followed by a hazy brown head.

S-Caramel, butterscotch, white chocolate and vigorous vanilla take over your sence of smell. An incredible bouquet.

T-People that taunt this beer for being too sweet, understand that it's classified as a sweet milk stout. Don't knock this baby for what she is. The flavor packs twice the punch than the aroma, offering more caramel, butterscotch, chocolate, lots of vanilla, and finished by a mild touch of espresso.

M-Big. Rich. Thick.

D-The only drawback. If you have more than one of these I applaud you. Being as complex as it is all across the board, doesn't make it as drinkable as most beers. The aromas and robust flavor catches up to you after a few sips. Not making it bad by any means but just teetering the line of un-drinkablility after a while.

ATvics, Aug 22, 2009
1.25/5  rDev -67.9%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Courtesy of a trade with funkydelic. Thanks Cameron!

A: Pours a pitch black with a surprisingly light, cream-colored head for an RIS. Retention is about 30 seconds before retreating to a collar of big bubbles, and no lacing down the glass or during swigs. Not much in the way of legs either.

S: Vanilla. Jesus. Like I'm sniffing a bottle of vanilla extract. Cannot smell malt, hops. Just vanilla and some burnt sugar.

T: And that's all I can taste too. Wait. Wait. Chocolate. Roasted malts. Burnt sugar. Ugh. To say this beer is oversweetened is an understatement. I'm beginning to be less and less impressed with Southern Tier's Diabeetus imprint. Please cut the sugar and the vanilla the next time you make this. KTHXBYE.

M: Low carbonation, and a surprisingly thin body that makes it feel like sugar water.

D: Never again. I'm not done with the bottle yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to pour it out before I'm done. This might be the worst beer I've ever had, and it is a testament to my cheapness that I'm still at it.

Incidentally, this is one of those beers that I would use as an example of, "Just because you can make it doesn't mean you should." Really, a creme brulee beer in 22oz form? Who thought that was a good idea? Christ.

Arbitrator, Aug 15, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured into a pint glass

A-Black as oil, very small head and little lacing

S-Caramel, coffee, chocolate, vanilla

T-As advertised. Tastes like something you could get at Starbucks. Lots of caramel, coffee, choco, and vanilla. Tastes just as it smells. This is a sweet beer that you better be in the mood for as I am now. Would be a good dessert beer. Probably could add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to this. Alcohol is well hidden given that its 10%.

M-Thinner than I expected for a Stout as sweet as this. Feels a bit like syrup with some slight carbonation.

D-given the sweetness of this brew, I couldn't drink more than 1 or 2. Given the style, I don't think this is a session beer anyway.

beerbully, Aug 14, 2009