Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
4.25/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - this specialty stout pours a typical dark black with a half finger of golde tan head

S - big vanilla in the aroma, toffee, and slight coconut right as the cap is popped; rich dark chocolate, roasted malts, and slight coffee take up the rear but are not lesser

M - the vanilla becomes more distinct in the taste, almost discernible as french vanilla as opposed to plain vanilla, the chocolate and toffee and coffee notes compliment the vanilla so well, such a sweet taste

M&D - super smooth and very drinkable, may be too sweet for some, on the heavier side of medium bodied, i fully enjoyed this stout

As an aside: as i was drinking this beer, the girlfriend was enjoying her favorite, a bottle of Lindemans Framboise, as a swirled my last sip of this, i poured an equal amount of her Framboise in with my Creme Brulee Stout; MAGIC! it was amazing, like chocolate-cheesecake with raspberry swirl, very tasty!

sinstaineddemon, Nov 11, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +21.1%

Thanks go out to Packforever1976 for throwing this in as an extra.

Presentation: Poured from a 22 oz brown bomber into a Duvel chalice. Label is typical style of Southern Tier and shows some cows, along with all the vital statistics for this beer.

Appearance: Pours with 1 finger of tan head. this settles slowly to a ring around the glass and an island of foam above the nucleation point. Very nice lacing as I drink. The beer itself is a dark muddy brown and completely opaque. No sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Holy crap, this smells like crème brûlée. Vanilla, eggs, cream, and a hint of cinnamon. Amazing.

Taste: Not as sweet as you might expect from the smell, but still very much like crème brûlée. Egg and milk creaminess upfront with hints of vanilla and cinnamon. Very slight roasted malt flavor in the middle. Finishes with slight coffee notes and a long, lingering fresh cream flavor. Slight alcohol sweetness, though the 10% ABV is hidden well. Slight alcohol warming as you sip this one.

Mouthfeel: average carbonation level. Body is very good.

Drinkability: What can I say, this is an unusual one. Not something I would drink everyday, but it is hard to argue with what it is; Southern Tier tried to make a beer reminiscent of crème brûlée and they nailed it. Spot on.

beveritt, Nov 08, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

22oz. bomber poured into tulip shaped glasses.

A: A black body with a milk chocolate brown edge where the light transcends through this headless brew.

S: The nose is extremely rich, overflowing with vanilla, french toast, and birthday cake. It is not very balanced, it is more just kick you in your face sweet.

T: Happy Birthday to us, It smells like a Birthday cake, and it tastes like one too! There is the slightest bitterness in the back of the palate but besides that it is just over the top sweet.

M: Medium-bodied with light carbonation. a warming from the alcohol presence.

D: Its like a delicious desert that is too rich to have more than one small serving. We will stop with just the one glass.

Cheers,
The Kings of Hop

TheKingsOfHop, Nov 07, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -16.8%

A - Solid looking black with minimal head, although lacing down the side doesn't look too bad. Huge milky bubbles left in the bottle.

S - Smells good and sweet, just like a creme brulee. Vanilla and caramel.

T - It is sweet and creme brulee-like at the beginning, and finishes off with a somewhat smokey stout taste. Coffee flavor in there as well. It's not bad, but I don't really care for these two things combined. Would rather just have a creme brulee and drink a stout.

M - Lighter side of heavy, pretty smooth.

D - Too sweet and heavy and smokey to drink a lot of.

AgentZero, Nov 06, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

I was served this in a snifter without being told what it was. My first reaction was confusion - it looks like beer: dark like stout with a nice, slightly off-white head. But the aroma caused me to think it was a godiva-liqueur like cocktail. Truely, this smells like creme brulee! And since that's what they were going for, kudos to them. My nose was owned by the vanilla, caramel, and burnt sugar aromas. Flavorwise - right on track. Vanilla, caramel, burnt sugar - suitable sweetness for a beer named after a luscious dessert.

It got of track though on the back of my tongue with a residual bitterness, combination of burnt sugar and hop bitterness, that I didn't like in combination with the sweetness. It really has the bitterness of an American stout and I think that creates conflict with the 'creme brulee' aspect. I think a richer, smoother European stout with the vanilla and caramel notes (maybe even subdued a little) would be completely sublime.

JimmyK77, Nov 06, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -14.9%

Appearance - almost no head on this one, very fine lacing left, basically black in appearance,

Smell - very clear smell of vanilla and caramel (almost like a werthers original), even smelled like a glass of amaretto to an extent,

Taste - sweet!, but it did remind me of a Creme Brulee, with the strong taste of a sweet caramel mixed with a heavy dose of vanilla,

Mouth feel - some thickness, could have been thicker,

Drinkability - way too sweet so it loses pts in for drinkability, between two people we couldn't finish the glass due to the sweetness of this one.

mcann2pu, Nov 05, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

This was really good but, just the smell got me really confused. It almost smelled like a dessert, it was very strong, but it was quite an enjoyable smell. It wasn't as thick as i was suspecting, it was actually quite easy to drink. All in all this was pretty good for what they where advertising a "creamy stout", and i think they did very well on this. If you are in the mood for a soft sweet beer try it.

Eiik, Nov 02, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -45.1%

22 oz bottle. It was $8.50 from Beer Run in C-Ville.

Appearance: Its basically opaque. Thin light brown head is pretty short lived. Every time you tip the glass, you get a sheet of lacing left behind, but it fades quickly too.

Smell: You can literally smell this as you pour it. It has the strongest aroma of any beer I've ever smelled, but it doesnt smell at all like a beer. Smells like caramel and vanilla-- like a bowl of ice cream with that fakey caramel syrup. It smells really good, even my six year old thinks so, but again-- not like beer.

Taste: Very sweet caramel and vanilla. Some pretty sharp alcohol. From the middle of the tongue and all the way back, I am assaulted with a very bitter, very burnt flavor that is not good. I can tolerate and even enjoy the insane dessert like sweetness, but that bitter burnt flavor is just bad. A stout that has burnt and bitter flavors is often good, but not when paired with all this sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Its a little thin for a beer this big actually. A little undercarbonated too.

Drinkability: I've been looking forward to trying this. I was expecting an overly sweet beer, which I got, but I did not expect the awful, burnt bitterness that lingers. I put a wine stopper in the second half of the bottle, and put it back in the fridge. I'll probably dump it. EDIT: I went back to it an hour or so later. This stuff is undrinkable. Drain pour.

rapidsequence, Nov 02, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -39.4%

Presentation: Poured from the bottle into a pint glass in two parts.

Appearance is dark black, almost like midnight, with a one finger beige head and almost no retention. The nose on this is HUGE. Big booze and lots of caramel and burnt sugar hit with a vengeance. Slight notes of vanilla and unbalanced, overly sweet roasted malt. Taste is also big. Strong sweet caramel upfront and burnt sugar and bitter chocolate follow. Vanilla notes also there. Overly sweet and just an unbalanced and unappearling flavor profile. It definitely tastes like creme brulee, but overdone. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a little carbonation. Drinkability is awful. The flavors are too big, the booze is not at all hidden and the taste just wears on you. Too sweet, too burnt, too boozy.

Overall, this beer seems like a love it or hate it beer and I happen to not like it. There are huge creme brulee flavors, but I found it unbalanced and, at points, undrinkable. Not something I will have again, but it could be good for some creme brulee lovers.

Gosox8787, Nov 01, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Dark brownish black color that looks pleasing, but not much of a head or head retention and little lacing.

S- Very strong vanilla flavor hits the nose followed by a big sweet malt smell. A sweet caramel smell also is quite apparent along with maybe some sort of roasted or burnt smell one would attribute with a creme brulee dish.

T- A vanilla extract flavor almost overwhelms the taste buds, but stops right before hand keeping me satisfied. Very sweet malt flavor, some may night like the amount of sweetness in this brew so I would say beware. Caramel not as apparent as in the smell, but there may be some traces.

M- Creamy mouthfeel, almost chewy. A little light on the carbonation.

D- Great beer, but because of the sweetness I would consider sharing a bomber with a friend. This would be a nice dessert beer (not surprising with the name).

Notes: Good beer, but if you do not like vanilla I would think twice before purchasing this beer.

Lolli1315, Nov 01, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +17.3%

22oz bottle poured into a giant goblet

Pours thick and very dark, basically no head -- looks like heavily used motor oil. Smells of caramel and creme brulee, chocolate and coffee. Smells delicious.

Taste is surprisingly sweet, and even more surprisingly, the sweetness doesn't seem over-the-top or unpleasant to me (maybe my mind will change toward the end of the bomber, but it seems unlikely at this juncture). Caramel and vanilla and chocolate and coffee still -- the chocolate and coffee provide enough bitterness to balance out the sweetness. It reminds me a little of the flavor of a very strong coffee with some vanilla creamer in it.

Mouthfeel is a little flat, but heavy and thick, a little sticky or clingy. Despite its strength and sweetness, the coffee/chocolate bitterness keeps it from being overwhelming.

snaotheus, Oct 28, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a thick brown-black into a 10oz goblet. No head, but I didn't see it poured so that might have been the bartender. The smell is almost overpowering. Extrenely sweet. Tastes exactly how it smells. Very thick, very sweet. I would drink it as an after-dinner liquer more than anything else. The large format bottle it usually comes in would probably be too much for me, but wonderful in the right quantity and situation.

degerbah, Oct 27, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Got this, and a Pumking at By The Bottle up in WA....

- Looks like a stout! Dark cola color... can't see through it... quick mocha bubbly at pour, down to a little slew of lace.

- Rich sweet vanilla, roasted chocolate malt.. chocolate mouse, dark fudge... slight bitter coffee.. all around very desert-like!

- Nice smooth vanilla chocolate.. slight bittering hop that is very balanced with this... little bit of an Irish creme flavor.. maybe like that creamer you get in those little green containers at a 7-eleven. Very good.

- Little chewy... bitter dry... interesting aftertaste..

- 10%? Hides it very well, and is very smooth... overall this is the second brew that I actually quite like from this brewer. All the others I have reviewed before the Pumking I didn't like very much. Now I look forward to my Mokah I have been sitting on for about 6 months...

Docer, Oct 27, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is truly like black bottled crème brulee. All the aromas are there - vanilla, caramelized sugar, the egg-crème. Amazing. Flavor is also there. Gets a little cloying after a while - 12 oz bottles may be more appropriate - but just find someone the share it with. I think this may be almost as good as the Kuhnhenn Crème Brulee - I'd love to sample them side-by-side.

aaronh, Oct 22, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +16%

A - Pours a dark black with a great sizes tan head

S - Wow! Sweet caramel creme brulee. marshmallows, vanilla, toffee, burnt sugar.

T - Just like it smells,and complex. very sweet, creme brulee, caramel, vanilla toffee, burnt sugar, etc. Roasted malts, chocolate, butter cream/butterscotch and coffee.

M - Moderate carbonation and a little syrup.

D - If you like sweet dark chocolate caramel sugar beers, this is IT! It's totally as advertised "Creme Brulee" I don't know how Southern Tier does it. But this is SPOT on. I really liked this one. Remember butterscotch lifeavers? Yeah, YUM!

I can't believe some people gave this a low review because it tastes like it should. A sweet creme brulee stout beer.

mikedashg, Oct 21, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

Heard so much about this one, seems to be a polarizing beer. I fell somewhere in the middle.

A- Black-hole, light-sucking darkness comes out of the bottle and dims my lights. Not much of a head of any sort. Pours very syrupy, viscous, and heavy into a wide snifter.

S- Sugar. Candy. Smells of vanilla, cream, caramel, sweet cream coffee, and marshmallows come through. Very intense, for better or for worse.

T- Wow. Sweet doesn't begin to describe it. I can feel my teeth aching. Very tasty, literally like creme brulee in a bottle. Very sugary-sweet, caramelized sugar, and mild cocoa noted. It's tasty.... I don't often say this but this beer needs a pint of water served with it to help break up the intensity.

M- Very thick, syrupy, boozy, a bit hot... a tad bit overboard, but not necessarily in a bad way. I can't picture if this beer would be better or worse if it were tamed a bit. That's not ST's style anyways... intense.

D- Moderate to low. Almost, almost too sweet to drink. The last pint is harder than the first. Takes real determination. I enjoyed it, might buy a bottle again, but would be fine if that was a year from now. A truly imperial beer, and a real eye-opener. Not the tastiest, smoothest, or best... but interesting for sure.

ShogoKawada, Oct 20, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

A: Almost black with a small beige head that leaves some lacings on the glass as it settles.

S: Very strange. It smells more like pasty or cookies than a stout. Burnt sugar, vanilla, toffee - well, it smells like creme brulee. Beneath this massive wall of dessert-like aromas, some muted aromas or roasted malts and a hint of coffee are noticeable.

T: An absolute mess. It's cloyingly sweet with overpowering notes of vanilla, burnt sugar, caramel and toffee. I get the exact same feeling of pastry, cookies or other desserts that I got from the smell. Some stout flavors or roasted malts, dark fruits and chocolate beneath it all. The finish is quite bitter, but the bitterness is off queue and fails to level the sweetness. A hint of wood at the end.

M: Full-bodied and creamy thick texture that makes the beer quite heavy.

D: Too strange and too sweet to ever get interesting. It's definitely one of a kind, I'll give the brewery that. And the fact that it tastes so much like creme brulee is quite impressive. But it still isn't a good beer. It's basically just a cloyingly sweet dessert disguised as a stout, and if I want a dessert, I'll get a dessert, not a beer.

ricke, Oct 19, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +20.6%

bottle into New Belgium snifter and standard pint. My wife and I split the bomber so I was able to observe it in two different glasses.

The pint glass yielded a 2 finger head in a dark caramel color. Meanwhile my snifter only showed a thin head that didn't last long. I find that most beers don't have a big head in my snifter and makes me feel like I am missing out.

The color is very dark almost black. Little lacing.

Smell is sweet vanilla cream with caramel and vanilla bean. Puts dessert on your mind and you should definitely be prepared for a sweet dessert drink.

The taste is mouth watering. Molasses and dark chocolate and some licorice up front. Also vanilla bean and cream. Finishes with that burnt sugar flavor that I love on a creme brulee. That is my favorite part of creme brulee and I love torching the sugar. Can't believe that they can get that taste in a beer. Unbelievable.

It makes me want to chew when I taste the burnt sugar. This is a dessert in itself and you don't need food. Think of it as a creme brulee milk shake.

Although I say it tastes like a milk shake the mouthfeel is not overbearing. It has a creamy feel to it, but not too much to handle.

I usually record my notes and then enter the review in later, but this was so good for me that I am entering the review while enjoying the beer. This is a sipper and you can take your time to enjoy it especially with the high ABV. There is a slight alcohol burn on the back end, but this is a beer after all so I don't mind. Makes me want to try more of these Southern Tier offerings. I have a Pumking in the cellar and hopefully it will be just as good as this.

If you like creme brulee then you must try this beer, if not you will think it is too sweet. Job well done Souther Tier.

Beerbythepool, Oct 18, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

A- Pours a very dark brown, but not quite black. Aggressive pour yields 1.5" head that dissipates quickly
S- smell is absolutely incredible. Smells very strongly of butterscotch. Almost smells like a liquid Werthers candy. A little bit of caramel sweetness comes through, but that butterscotch smell really overpowers everything else. Smells super sweet, but this one is pleasantly different than the smell of most sweet beers.
T- Taste is like the smell. Very sweet. Tastes like creme brulee honestly. Butterscotch flavors comes through strongly as well as that caramel sweetness. Very very sweet beer, but a very unique flavor. Not sure whether this beer tastes more like creme brulee or a werthers candy, but either way i'm diggin it. After a while, the sweetness really starts to stack up and make the beer unenjoyable. At first, I was impressed by the flavor, but after a while, it really become noticeably less enjoyable.
M- Mouthfeel is pretty thin for a stout, but it didn't bother me too much
D- Drinkability is decent considering how well the alcohol is hidden by the sweetness of the beer. Couldn't really detect any alcohol presence through the sweet backbone of the beer. Like mentioned above, the drinkability is hindered by the cloying sweetness, not the alcohol.

aewinte1, Oct 18, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +16%

A thick, oily black pours into the glass, a finger of heavy tan head atop, and a slow loll as it melts away leaves a solid, sticky lace on the sides. Pretty.
A whif and I'm transported back to those coffee-shops of dates before I could go to pubs... some beautiful young girl that I thought I loved sitting across from me and the napkins folded into tiny pyramids next to the porcelain-white dishes and cold steel silver. A whif of the delicate dessert coffee in front of me, and a glance up to see if she was also glancing up... caramel, vanilla, and coffee bean notes in the back, like the vanilla candles that I always smell at length in the candle-shops, but never bring home because my mother hates them. This beverage fills the room with the same rich vanilla and creamy caramel, like Granddad's candies.
The flavour brings in a more mature note... coffee and Irish Cream, rich vanilla bean espresso and caramel, toasting brown sugar over vanilla coffee beans, and I look up at her and smile, this is one of the best nights of my life. A roasted grain note comes in at the end and reminds you this is still just a beer...
Creamy and thick, light carbonation that just adds to the creaminess, and a surprisingly dry, though syrupy finish...
This is dessert. This is one of the most inriguing beers ever made. The candlelight dances off of her furrowed brow, and our eyes lock together... we smile and I dream of one day.

khiasmus, Oct 17, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

Got this at De Bierkoning in Amsterdam.

From a bomber into a snifter.

Note: An imperial milk stout brewed with vanilla beans.

APPEARANCE: An aggressive pour makes a 1 ½ finger medium bubbly tan head with decent retention. Black and opaque with lower end carbonation. Head slowly fades to a thin film with a bubbly ring around the edges, which stays until the end and leaves a bit of lace down the sides of the glass.

SMELL: A huge nose right off the bat; hits you right on the pour. Smells exactly what you'd expect from a "crème brulee." Big vanilla all over the place, and sugar as well, like your vanilla birthday cake with white vanilla icing when you were a kid. Vanilla sugar cake is all that comes to mind. Either you love it or hate it.

TASTE: Exactly what the nose advertised; vanilla icing on vanilla sugar cake. Faint roasted qualities and touches of smokiness try to push through, but vanilla is the name of the game. Quite sweet the whole way with a nice touch of bitterness and some faint spicy elements as an attempt to add some balance to the brew. Sweet vanilla and somewhat bitter aftertaste is strong and long lasting. Very bold flavors and does exactly what it advertises.

PALATE: Full body and creamy smooth on the palate. Very nice here. Goes down thick and creamy and finishes with a bit of an alcohol bite at the end. Very mouth-coating, somewhat cloying on the finish. A little too cloying, but that wasn't surprising given the taste profile.

OVERALL: This was a really fun beer and I really enjoyed it. I must admit, however, that while the first glass was great, the full bomber was a little much and it got a little tiring by the end. This is one I'd have to share, and since I don't have anyone to share with, I probably won't be buying it very often. Another one I wish was sold in 12oz bottles; I'd probably pick it up regularly as a treat. Regardless, this beer tastes exactly as it's advertised, and it doesn't beat around the bush either. Bold, flavorful, and very interesting. Either you love it or you hate it I think, and I certainly found it very enjoyable.

Jeffo, Oct 17, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

Deep, dark color with lots of sticky lacing.

Vanilla bean first on the nose - then a real milky, creamy aroma that really does make me think of creme brulee. Okay, more pots de creme - but still delicious.

Vanilla definitely comes across on the palate very strongly.

For the dessert beers - it's all about the mouthfeel. Silky, smooth, like drinking a milk shake. Rich and unctuous. Drinks like a dessert - like melted ice cream.

Absolutely lives up to its name - this is like drinking creme brulee. Also, not all that easy to imbibe due to high abv and the sweetness that can be cloying at times.

DawnL, Oct 16, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

It's called Creme Brulee. It's sweet. Guess what it tastes like? You'll never guess. OK, I'll tell ya. It tastes like Creme Brulee. If you like Creme Brulee, you will likely dig this beer. Pay attention to serving temperature as, with most good beers, the flavors really come out in the low to mid forties.

Jdog66, Oct 16, 2009
1.85/5  rDev -52.3%

This is another of those beers that I am shocked anybody likes, but different strokes I guess.

Wont bore you with the appearance or even the smell. The taste however I will certainly touch on.

Frankly the best I can say about this beer is that it is slightly better than taking a swig of pure vanilla extract. Wow. The flavor is not enhanced with a nice, subdued Creme Brulee flavor, but rather an in your face, sweet, overpowering taste of cheap vanilla extract. Honestly this was one of only 3 or 4 drain pours in my 54 years of roaming this planet. To me this was undrinkable.

A novelty beer for sure.Tread lightly my friends, unless you are a huge fan of vanilla flavoring, and have your dentist on retainer.

wingedeel, Oct 15, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -47.2%

A - Dark brown and slightly opaque. Would expect a slightly darker beer for an imperial stout.

S- Lots of vanilla, not much in the way of roasted malts that I would expect in an imperial stout. And it is an extract vanilla smell, not something you would get from whole beans.

T - Good freakin' god, this might be the sweetest beer I have ever had. Vanilla and more vanilla, sugar and some alcohol heat. I can feel my teeth rotting. There is nearly no malt or hop presence in the taste.

M - Despite looking a little on the thin side, the mouthfeel is pretty good. Right where an imperial stout should be in my opinion, if not a little bit light.

D - This would be a much more drinkable beer if the vanilla wasnt so overpowering. While not quite a drain pour, I don't think I will be getting this one again.

nkersten, Oct 15, 2009