Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
2.68/5  rDev -31.1%

First off I will say that I am reviewing this according to the style listed on BA: "American Double/Imperial Stout". This one was just not for me...

A- Pours a dark brown color with a thin off white foam head. No lacing is left behind.

S- Lots of malt sweetness. Caramel, toffee, cane sugar, and milk chocolate all comprised the nose. Not really any roasted aromas that most Imperial Stouts are known for.

T- Whoa, this tastes like a diabetic coma waiting to happen. Almost like drinking caramel mixed with toffee and evaported milk. Painfully sweet.

M- Medium body with low carbonation. Syrupy and way too sweet.

D- Ive said it a few times already but this beer is just way too sweet for me. It hardly tastes like a beer and was difficult to finish.

projectflam86, Aug 03, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a crystal snifter glass. Deep mahogany colored with ruddy orange higlights. Low head of soapy bubbles despite a vigorous pour.

A full and deep aroma of caramel and vanilla and malted milk balls.

Rich flavor of caramel and vanilla, some toffee and Frangelico notes. Fairly sweet, tending toward cloying but the balancing bitterness reaches in and offsets it. Mid-mouth moves to a sharp bitter chocolate, mild espresso notes, but always with an under-riding flavorful sweetness. Very rich, the ABV is well hidden.

Moderate mouthfeel, a bit syrupy and thick. Not overly drinkable, a bit much.

far333, Aug 03, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

A: pitch black body minimal head.

S: strong burnt sugar caramel aroma pummels my nostrils. Smells exactly like the dessert or a caramel hard candy. ST always gets the aroma dead on.

T: Again just like the dessert including some roasty bitterness Reminding me of the burnt top. Strong residual sweetness.

M: Surprisingly only medium bodied despite the intensity of flavor.

D: The cold temperature allows for a better drinkability than when it's served at the correct temperature. However I will still have to work to get the pint down. Definity a dessert beer and should probably be served in a ten ounce snifter.

drseamus, Aug 02, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -18.3%

Just made a fine home-cooked dinner for my significant other and now that she is off to study, I decided to pull this one out as "dessert"

Pours black with a finger of head that disappears quickly from my 25 oz. snifter. Smell is holy-cow-vanilla-and-toffee. This truly is a dessert beer, no other way to describe it. The taste follows closely...whipped cream, toffee, vanilla. Medium bodied with a slight carbonation sting, not really that great for a milk stout. Drinkability is where this one fails...and let me tell you what it REALLY fails. The taste itself is excellent, but after about 4 oz. I honestly didn't want any more. I don't know what to do with the rest of the bomber, this one is cloying and annoying. I know what they were aiming for and they hit the nail on the head, but that doesn't make it actually drinkable.

alcstradamus, Aug 02, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +17%

I found this to be really amazing. While I am not a fan of anything sweet, there are so many flavors going on here that the sweetness is balanced out. Pours dark black and the aroma makes your mouth water. It smells like some dessert just pulled from the oven. There is vanilla, chocolate, coffee and caramel flavors going on. While this is utterly delicious, I found it hard to finish the whole pint because of how rich this beer is. Needless to say I truly enjoyed drinking this beer and will seek it out again. If I were Tracy Morgan I would take this beer behind the middle school and get it pregnant.

Wheelinb, Aug 01, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours pitch black like a brand new batch of coffee with a one finger dark tan head. The head falls to a thin layer on the beer after a minute or two and leaves medium lacing down the glass. Smell is the best part of this beer, I know this is an Imperial Stout but the goal of the beer is a Creme Brulee Stout and the smell is caramel, vanilla, sugary awesomeness. This one smells like a delicious dessert, mmm. Taste here falls a bit shorter than the smell, the Creme Brulee factor decreases a bit and it becomes half dessert and roasted malts. The Creme Brulee shines again in the after taste, maybe a bit of alcohol in the taste too. Mouthfeel is a bit thin for an Imperial Stout for me. It is smooth but doesnt really fill/coat the mouth very well, good carbonation. Drinkability is good here, not too heavy on the stomach, good taste and smell, will drink again.

cbutova, Aug 01, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

From a bomber into a pint glass. Pours black with a little bit of redish highlights coming through if held up to the light. Has a big, very light tan head at first but pretty quickly it reduces to almost nothing, leaving little to no lacing down the sides of the glass. The smell of this one is mainly vanilla. Thats all I really got out of it, there may have been a hint of coffee but the vanilla really stood out to me. Taste was the same though the coffee came through a bit more. Really sweet tasting, and honestly had a cream soda like taste to it which I'm not completely sure I'm down with haha. Overall not a bad taste just not what I really want to enjoy in a beer. Pretty good mouthfeel however, thick, which is what I want in a stout. Drinkability is average, above average at best. At leas the alcohol is hidden well. Not something I would drink a lot of in one night or even often. I may pick it up again but most likely I would pick up other Southern Tier products instead. I'd say it's worth a try but it's pretty sweet tasting and strong on the vanilla. Nothing wrong with that if you really like that kind of thing.

dismal, Jul 30, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

pours jet black with a 2 finger tan head that fades fast and left no lacing

smells very close to the real thing - carmel sugar vanilla butterscotch

taste was just like the real stuff - burnt sugar carmel that reminds of burnt marshmallow and a very sweet vanilla that lingers on the taste buds for a while

mouthfeel is ok - i thought the body was very thin

drinkability is so so - i would never be able to drink a whole bomber - i needed 4 people to help me finish this one

jsh420, Jul 30, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +13.1%

2009 Vintage Into A Tulip Glass
Sampled W/ 2 BAs - Approx. 7oz. Sample

This brew pours a dark, dark mahoghany to black color, with a one finger beige head that diminishes quickly to a few bubbles. Little to no lacing on this brew. Looks a little thin for the style. The nose is simply amazing w/ boat loads of cracked vanilla bean that can be realized without even completely bringing your nose to the glass. Also, has the aroma of nuttiness and caramel in the background. The taste is the same vanilla bean in your face w/ burnt caramel, coffee, and licorice on the finish. Could definately session this one if I had more of an alcohol tolerance as I once did, and the ABV is completely hidden @ 11.00%. I feel the thinness for the style helps in this aspect. Overall, this is the perfect dessert/after dinner beer and a nice offering from Southern Tier as I have grown to expect from them.

mikeyv35, Jul 29, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +8%

Serving Type - Bomber poured into a mug.

A-Thick tan head, some lacing, dark and serious.

S-Sweet caramel and sugar. Creme brule ice cream. Roasty cinnamon and cream.

T-Starts with a bit of a bite on the front end that is very unique and reminds me of burnt espresso/cappucino beans. It gives way to sweet coffee with caramel - as if a lot of Sugar in the Raw were added to it. Some cinnamon and a strong vanilla bean on top of this big malty brew. The vanilla makes this really unusual and the bite on the front end stays on the palate long after the beer is gone from the tongue. A very nice complex beer.

M-Low carbonation, medium density, creamy with a full body.

D-Very drinkable as a dessert beer. So sweet that it might turn some people off. But not me.

Shango42, Jul 28, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured into a goblet for a blackish body and a one-finger light brown head. Buttery, vanilla, milk (a little) - an intensly sweet smell that I started to pick up as soon the cap came off. A touch of bread and burnt malt are also in there; pretty close to actually smelling like a creme brulee dessert. Smooth, ultra creamy with vanilla, caramel, hints of spice and wood in taste, a dryness thanks to some burnt malts in a medium body that was a little sticky. Finishes dry and is complemented by the ABV. A perfect dessert beer and I recommend having one, and only one, after a nice dinner.

clayrock81, Jul 27, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +13.9%

Had this bad boy on draft at D's in Monroeville.

Looked nice if not really exceptional: black with a thin tan head, dark amber highlights at the bottom, almost no lacing.

The smell is the secret weapon here: I could smell the sweet sugar from across the table. Never in my experience has a beer so perfectly captured the essence of another flavor. Smells like creme brulee, there's no other way to describe it. I think I let it sit for 5 minutes & just sniffed it. Amazing.

Taste carried a lot of the caramelized sugar so present in the smell, with a little dark fruit (raisins?), & the left-right of alcohol & roast. The slightly charred aspect of the dish came through in the taste, not unpleasant, but something surprising & experienced in a lot of beers.

The mouthfeel was decent, again nothing to write home about. I loved this, but due to the intensity of the flavor & the alcohol, one was sufficient. This is where I get caught up on "drinkability" -- highly enjoyable, but would I have another? Probably not. Same reason I don't order multiple desserts after a meal.

I feel like this might get a lot of flack for being so sweet & rich, or gimmicky, but I have met few beers that so thoroughly accomplish their objective as this one. I feel like this is something Southern Tier nails, the rich, evocative dessert beers (Pumking & Choklat included).

OneDropSoup, Jul 26, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +14.4%

s -- bottle capped bottle.

a -- very nice dark brown, and a creammy head.

s -- this is the best smelling beer i ever had. it was like being in a candle store.

t -- maybe i just like mike stouts, but i did not taste any milk, just vanilla and coffee cream.

m -- little carbonation, good for a change from the belgians.

d -- i enjoyed it all night.

jsanto, Jul 26, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -26%

Appearance - Poured into my Old Rasputin Imperial Stout glass. I thought it would be fitting. Color is a deep brown/black with little chance for light to escape. The head was slight upon initial pour, however it opened up a bit to a one-finger presence. Over time, this settled to a thin ring with slight lacing.

Smell - Well named. Smelled like the dessert with the only thing missing would be the flame-kissed caramel crust. Big vanilla nose (big is an understatement..let's say HUGE). Caramel and coconut as well. Little more could break through that huge opening.

Taste - Smooth opening, however followed by a confusing mix of coconut/caramel/vanilla/burnt sugar. This finishes with an intense hop bite (and yet more vanilla).

Mouthfeel - Considering the mix of flavors, there was a medium density in the mouthfeel. Finishes with a strong body.

Drinkability - A novelty. The nose was exceedingly inviting, but I personally feel it didn't live up to billing. Had it remained smooth throughout, with a mild finish, it may have been worth more than a "well, I tried it" opinion. Even as it warmed, the vanilla retained a medicinal twang. Perhaps a small amount, paired with chocolate or vanilla bean ice-cream, would work.

Nesued, Jul 26, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

Just shared this with some new friends. Poured into a pint glass.

Color is a dark dark brown. Has 1 finger of head, decent retention leaving some lace.

Aroma was good, but very sweet. Milk and chocolate. Very creamy. This is an interesting aroma.

Taste: Here is the problem, this beer is so damn sweet. Milk, chocolate, and very creamy. I could maybe have 4 ounces of this, but the taste is so sweet.

Mouthfeel: Silky and creamy. Full bodied. Decent amount of retention. Ends with a sweet chocolate aftertaste.

Overall, this beer is simply to sweet. I couldn't drink a lot of it. It is good, but I wouldn't want a lot. I can see this being good on ice cream or chocolate cake.

mothman, Jul 25, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Presentation: 24oz brown pop top with nice label and cool spheel about the beer...no freshness date

Appearance: Pitch black opaque beer with a dark cream large-bubbled head with decent retention

Smell: MASSIVE butterscotch tones...touch of vanilla latte...ungodly sweet creamy goodness

Taste: BIG butterscotch notes up front, maybe a bit of lightly roasted coffee with milk and vanilla...medium alcohol notes on the finish...this is like a big, creamy super French-vanilla mocha

Mouthfeel: Viscous and thick

Drinkability: 1 bottle, three people, small snifters: perfect

Conclusion: This was a great after dinner drink; it's huge in mocha flavors and butterscotch and vanilla...it's a bit over-the-top and too sweet to enjoy much at a time, but definitely interesting (went perfectly by itself and with from scratch German Chocolate Cake) and is definitely worth a try.

BedetheVenerable, Jul 24, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -15.2%

Had a bomber of this amongst two friends. It was hard to get down a third of the bottle so I was glad to share it.

A - Very black. A nice chocolate brown head that kept disappearing but was easy to revive with a few swirls of the glass.

S - Very sweet, almost butterscotch aroma. Some toffee. Definitely vanilla as well.

T - I was expecting more of an imperial stout, and this was very different. Butterscotch and vanilla predominately, with a sugary alcohol taste at the end. This is a great dessert beer to share after dinner!

M - Creamy, almost "chunky" but in a good way. Very thick.

D - Not too good I'm afraid. After a glass of this I was ready for a normal lager or ale, so I would not recommend getting this to drink the whole bottle. But it is a very tasty dessert beer to split amongst a few people.

I would definitely recommend this. Soutern Tier big beers have become sort of a hobby of mine, my favorite being Pumking. On a winter night I could see myself really enjoying this one. I will try it again, but not for some time.

BeerPhan86, Jul 24, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a jet black with a big puffy tan head. Super great smell of caramel, vanilla, actually has the aroma of creme brulee. Taste of malts,vanilla, and a little alcohol. Very smooth chewy feel. Coats the mouth with vanilla and malts. A great desert beer. But not one you can drink more than one of. A very unique beer.

Liverpool08, Jul 24, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -10%

On tap at grinder's bar

Pours a very dark black. A nice cinnamon brown head

Smells of coffee and caramel with a sweet chocolate.. maybe even a little bit like a creme brulee.

The taste is spot on what I remember a creme brulee tasting like (it has been several years). Velvety chocolate and caramel followed with vanilla and cocoa a nice roastiness to it too. Very sweet can hardly taste the alcohol.

It has about on average mouthfeel for its style smooth and only lightly carbonated a touch on the thick side for me though.

Would only drink this as an desert or maybe a night cap very nice sweet taste but just far to rich for what I would actually want in a beer.

bfields4, Jul 23, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -13.1%

had this on tap @ sunset grill in brighton

looked great. nice tan head that stuck for a while.

smelled great. tons of vanilla and caramel/butterscotch smells. Slight roasted malt scents. Brown sugar maybe? Smells awesome.

taste is very similar to the smell. sweet sweet sweet malts....vanilla first, then caramel with a subtle roasted malt backbone. Can't pickup any hops here really. I kind of think they killed it with all the sickly sweet malts here. I understand it's what they're aiming for, but I think it doesn't make this beer all that great.

Drinkability is terrible. I could barley stomach one of these, let alone more. It's just too damn sweet to quaff.

Overall- I'd use this with a dessert recipe....in a reduction or something like that. It's a pretty rough beer, but it's certainly worth trying. I can't think of any other beer like this.

tzieser, Jul 23, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -15.7%

Picked up a bomber of this interesting looking brew at the CBX. It pours super inky black - held it up to light and zero translucence; virtually no head (what's there is merely a ring of light brown). The aroma is straight up vanilla ridiculousness - maybe some hints of caramel in there, and touches of alcohol (reminiscent of Kahlua). For some reason, when I first smelled this, I thought: pancakes with extra butter and syrup! It hints at creme brulee, but not quite an exact match. After smelling, the taste was a bit of a letdown - again, heavy on the vanilla with some light hints of coffee and alcohol. Its pretty sweet up front with a relatively lackluster finish. The mouthfeel is actually not as heavy as I thought it would be - actually a little thin in spots, and unfortunately doesn't lend to the idea of wanting to drink more (its just way too sweet for me). An interesting idea, and definitely worth a try, but not something I'll come back to -

jpro, Jul 23, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -8%

After trying the bottle about a week ago I took the no-tap variation to see if I could find much difference.. I found Mokah to be a bit less-enjoyable on tap and my creme brulee experience suffered the same fate.. Whereas the bottle begins with a flavor and aroma which are so robust and sweet that it may excite and entice at first then becomes a bit cloying and artificial, on-tap I immediately found these unpleasant qualities. There is a chalky quality to the taste which contrasts the sweetness but doesn't add any enjoyment to the drink. Drinkability suffers from these unpleasantries in the flavor and aroma. Overall, though, I'm willing to grant it 3.5's instead of below-average numbers because its certainly a better option thana lot of things and if you're in the mood for something very strong or generally enjoy sweetness it may be quite enjoyable. Like other ST stout offerings I'm finding the sort of artificial quality to the flavor shows through more on-tap. Its fun to try but I wouldn't want to drink a full pint's worth.

BirdFlu, Jul 20, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

A- Black as night. Pours with a small coffee-colored head.

S- An incredibly "sweet" nose... smells of lactose, candy sugar and vanilla custard.

T- This stuff tastes like someone wrung-out a creme brulee desert into the glass. The dark appearance is deceiving... I would have expected more roasty or coffee notes, but I get none of this... just an intensely sweet (and wonderful) flavor of dessert in a glass!

M- Creamy and slightly chewy. Very full body.

D- Incredibly good (if you like Creme Brulee), but so rich and sweet that I couldn't have a pint on my own. I've had it in the bottle as well, and I feel like you need to have at least three people to split the bottle amongst. (Although my wife can drink this stuff all night!)

jgasparine, Jul 20, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Bomber poured deep brown with ample frothy head

S: perfect creme brulee (burnt vanilla sugar)hints of butterscotch coffee and chocolate. Very rich.

T: As with the smell, burnt vanilla sugar with hints of butterscotch, toffee coffee and chocolate. Only gripe is the extreme sugary sweetness. tastes great, but any more than 10oz is overkill.

M: Sticky and creamy, milky residual

D: Good after dinner beer, although would prefer in an 8-12po serving. The bomber was hard to finish in one sitting b/c of the sweetness.

rfgetz, Jul 20, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

A- Poured into a 16oz pint glass...Black in color, no transparency when held up to light. About a finger thick brownish colored head

S- Honestly no typical beer scent, but an strong smell of irish cream

T- Strong irish cream taste with malty overtones, and a slight hop finish. Unbelievably tasty with no hint of the 10% abv

M- Thick and creamy, with a smooth finish

D- Very... might start to get a little sweet after to many, but at 10% abv, you don't need to many

CHEERS!