Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.
3.45/5  rDev -11.5%

Thanks Greg for sending this one along because I would have never bought it but in the back of my mind did want to try it.
Bottle poured into a snifter produced a tan head that did lace rather well. The body of the brew was a typical black stout color.

I will say the nose did make the brew. It had an incredible amount of vanilla wafting up from the glass and it made it rather soothing. Now thing just go down hill from there the flavor to me was just too sweet. It reminded me of a cordial and if I drank it that way it might have worked but having a glass to work thru was too much not to mention a bottle. The feel was good the carbonation was on but I can't get past the sweetness.

I say if you have a bottle split it among ten people and everyone might enjoy it but don't try to do the bottle yourself. It is just to one dimensional

3.67/5  rDev -5.9%

I had the this in the bottle about 6 months ago, had it on tap tonight at Sierra Grille. Pours very dark brown, not quite pitch black, with a decent beige head, forms a ring on the edge of the glass leaving good lacing. Smell is absolutely insane, smells like melted white chocolate/caramel. Taste is insane as well, TONS of vanilla bean, caramel, chocolate, alcohol. Even though the taste is good I will say it's very over the top, it kind of crosses the line between beer and milkshake. I loved many other Southern Tier big beers (Choklat, Mokah, Pumking) but this is a little too sweet for me. Taste is very dessert like but definitely a sipper. A 12 oz glass was enough for me, I'm not sure how I finished the bomber back in the day. If you have liked the other Southern Tier stout bombers give it a go, but this is probably my least favorite out of them.

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

Glass- INAO (INAO or Port glass recommended, as this is certainly best suited to small pours and contemplation, not pint glasses and pounding.)

A- Nearly opaque brown/black. Fairly restrained foam.

S- Huge, seductive aromas of caramel, Madagascar vanilla beans, and café au lait rocket from the glass into orbit. Impressive.

T- Massive, rich, sweet caramel, vanilla, and roasted malt utterly conquer the senses. This IS creme brulee.

M, D- Viscous and syrupy sweet, one must respect and understand this dessert beer as one would a tawny or vintage Port, or the venerable Don Pedro Ximenez Sherry.

Comment: What a wonderful end-of-the-day drink to share with friends! (Even my wife loves this)

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

A 1+ year old 22 ounce bomber bottle. This is something myself , psycohops and brothercannon have been talking about for at least a year: opening up the ST Choklat, Creme Brulee, Pumking, and Jah-Va in one session and mixing and matching the different combos. Chocolate pumpkin, chocolate java, pumpkin creme brulee, chocolate pumpkin java creme brulee, etc... But before we got down to that, I had a taste of each beer on its own.

I poured the creme brulee into my shaker glass. It appears a dark brown color with about a finger of light ecru foam. Nose and flavors consist of vanilla bean, butterscotch, caramel, a subtle hoppiness comes through as it warms, burnt sugar, more vanilla, quite simply, this is liquid creme brulee minus the crunch of the torched demura sugar. Approaching full bodied with ample carbonation and next to no alcohol heat. I don't understand all the hate towards this beer. Sure, a bomber is too much for most people to handle in one session. But, it does taste just as the label states. Go make some friends and split it three or four ways.

4.26/5  rDev +9.2%

Bomber courtesy of the great trader, bamadog. Huge thanks!

22 oz. poured into a goblet. Pours a thick deep black with a very thin tan head. No retention, no lace. The scent of this beer blows me away! I can smell it across the room. Big vanilla notes, with toasted sugar, toffee, molasses, and finishes with a wallop of caramel. I'm floored.

Very creamy and full-bodied, though it's not filling. I can't seem to stop gulping this beer and I just want more. So it's not too heavy. Flavors of caramel, caramel, caramel, and vanilla with caramel on top. This is insane. Reminds me of Irish Cream. This is, hands down, the sweetest beer I have ever had, but I like it. Absolute standard for a dessert beer. Wow.

3.09/5  rDev -20.8%

I fear that I went into this one expecting too much. Wonderful smell and look, but upon tasting, I was confused. I didn't know whether they made they beer, and then named it, or visa versa. I can appreciate the mouthfeel, but i feel there is far too much vanilla bean and it overwhelms the palate.

When my good friend came to town for a surprise visit, I happened to have a bomber bottle of Creme Brulee in the fridge on hand, for I had never tried it. In honor of his joyous if unexpected presence, we cracked it opened, and it was so good that we grabbed another a couple days later. Simply phenomenal.

A lazy pour produced one and one-half fingers of tan foam atop an impenetrable black body. A small, persistent dollop rested atop it like a small scoop of vanilla ice cream that wouldn't melt for much of the duration. Amazing. The smell did not disappoint--rife with vanilla bean, coffee, cocoa, brown sugar. Sterling.

Creme Brulee combines these flavors into a phenomenal concoction--smooth, dense, bold, embodying and defying contradictions all at once. In a sip, one gets vanliia, then sugary coffee, then a whiff of molasses, and some dark chocolate to boot.

I admit to being a huge fan of Southern Tier and therefore am a bit biased, but Creme Brulee blew me away. This was far better than I expected, and I grabbed it expecting it to be very good. So smooth, so rich, so complex, and so accessible.

Stunningly good, nay, great. I could drink this every day. To me, this vaults Southern Tier into my personal top five breweries in the US, hands down. A grand achievement.

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Served from a 22oz. bottle purchased at the Perfect Pour in Columbia, Maryland into my Cigar City snifter at the appropriate temperature (01/09/10).

A: Pours tick and creamy motor oil black with 1.5 fingers of a mocha head with nice retention and some sticky, patchy lace.

S: Intense smell of butterscotch and some subtle hints of creamy sweet milk chocolate, and some sugary coffee. Smells like a rich dessert.

T: Sweet butterscotch assaults the palate with layers of creamy sweet milk chocolate and some hints of sugary coffee. Not necessarily a creme brulee, but certainly a rich, sweet, and creamy beer. This has got to be one of sweetest stouts I have every had.

M: Fulll-bodied with a nice heavy creaminess and low carbonation. Extremely rich and quite cloying.

D: The drinkability is severaly hindered by the intense sweetness making it a chore to finish this bomber. One 12oz. snifter is plenty for me.

Overall this Imperial Stout is another extremely flavorful offering from Southern Tier. A little to sweet for my tastes, but this will certainly please many Milk Stout fan. Worth a Look.

4.54/5  rDev +16.4%

Picked this up during a trip north to MN. 650ml poured into an Ommegang chalice.

a- opaque, woody dark brown with a thin tan head.

s- smell is amazing. Right away I can tell this brew is aptly named. A big hit of real good vanilla/butterscotch pudding. Undertones of rich coffee and chocolate round out the wonderful aroma. This really just smells like a rich dessert. Very faint alcohol presence masked heavily by the dessert aromas. Impossible to resist. I could smell this forever.

t- Starts with burnt sugar and a lot of vanilla bean and toffee. A lot of roasted and caramel malt comes through in the middle, reminding me that this is a stout, Then a slightly boozy finish with the satisfying, creamy insides of the dessert. I was expecting this to be far from an imperial stout in the taste, and am pleasantly surprised. The sweetness is powerful, but this still tastes like a stout to me. The finish is a lingering vanilla, milk and burnt sugar, like having just eaten a delicious creme brulee. As a dessert lover, this is awe-inspiring to me.

m- medium to full-bodied beer with VERY little carbonation. I definitely wish it had a tad more life to it in that regard. The full body complements the flavors wonderfully, though.

d- well, what can I say. This beer is pretty much the ultimate dessert drink. Heck, I would make this beer the focal point of a dessert. I think drinking an entire bomber of this by oneself is a tad much, but me and my sweet tooth enjoyed every drop. Very, VERY good beer and unlike anything I've ever tasted.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

S/ sweet vanilla

T/ sweet vanilla toffee taste with hits of stout
alcohol taste

M/ like a the sweet custard after dinner sweet and good

D/ lot of fun an after dinner beer good try

if you have dinner and after dinner a custard dessert drink this beer. alse sweet cheese is great with this beer.

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

2 year old draft at Dilly Deli. Thanks for holding on to this. Poured into a chalice.

Pitch black with a nice tan lacing.

Dark roasted malts in the nose. Vanilla, fig and prunes stand out with a trace of toffee.

Huge mouthfeel! Toffee, vanilla, prunes and an overall sherry character. So far there is a subtle warming from the alcohol.

The finish is almost cherry-like with huge alcohol warmth that doesn't take anything away from the beer.

This is a tasty imperial stout and something I have yet to find an equal. I am interested in trying out the other stouts from the blackwater series.

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours black with a soapy thin tan head about 1/4 inch. Decent lacing on the glass. Nothing spectacular.

Smell, you can smell this as soon as you pop the cap.
Vanilla, melted coffee icecream and booze.

Taste, the best way i can describe this is Baileys Irish Cream on the rocks. If i close my eyes thats what i would swear i was drinking. Vanilla, coffee icecream, and a lot of alcohol. This is bozzier then i thought it would be. However it is 10%abv according to the bottle. But yea, Baileys on the rocks.

Mouthfeel is smooth at first and then ou get an alcohol blast of warth on the back of your tongue all the way down your throat. Average carbonation.

Drinkability is tricky to rate with this one. It's tasty and enjoyable. However i have no desire to drink another one anytime soon. Nothing against the beer i just feel it's more of a novelty then anything. Not to say it's a bad beer because it's not.

Overall this is a tasty, sweet treat from Southern Tier. I've heard you either love or hate this beer. I disagree. I don't love it or hate it. I really like it though.

2.78/5  rDev -28.7%

this is really good vanilla extract ruined by harsh hops. I first became leery when i read columbus kettle hops. dark pour @45f into a double mountain tulip glass. dark with some ruby in the edges. reasonable carbonation for a big stout (kinda low, but still head existed and their were bubbles. smells like vanilla, just as the bottle suggested some birthday cake taste as well. First wave is vanilla, sweet, but not underattenuated. second wave is more vanilla, birthday cake, and the bittering hops/roasty astringency. my real problem with the beer is this flavor. Instead of cutting the sweetness and giving a clean finish it creates an odd mix of flavors that dont jive in my mouth. Lower ibu hops, a less pronounced hop variety, or a cleaner roast malt (caraffa, a pale chocolate) might have made all the difference. Another note, kind of a vanilla extract alcohol flavor provided me some trouble. On some sips it was fine, but others definately had a hot ethanol type burn.

I knew i was going to get a sweet vanilla dessert beer, but i just can wrap my tongue around this beast.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Bottle courtesy thirdeye11.

Pours black with a tan head. The aroma is strong butterscotch with a lot of sweetness and some vanilla. Definitely a different aroma. The flavor is butterscotch, praline and vanilla. Medium mouthfeel, low carbonation and very drinkable, but I can't see myself drinking more than six ounces at a time since it is so sweet. This beer would serve as a great stand alone dessert.

Poured from a bomber into a chalice at cellar temperature.

S-(sorry for the digression, but I SMELL this one before I can comment on the appearance)creme brulee indeed! Sweet sticky milky vanilla butterscotch nose, yet no stout-like qualities. Mouth is watering here.

A-Deep dark stout-like appearance, with a tan head that settles rapidly

T-Bang! sweet vanilla hazelnut malt hits me in the head, puts me in a headlock and carries me on to the more traditional coffee and chocolate stout flavors, which are clearly subdued here as it relates to the vanilla....A very interesting beer, and damn, if it doesn't taste like the dessert. Whether this is good or bad as relates to a beer, is indeed another question, but I'm liking this right now. Like a sweet starbucks mocha? You will love this. ABV? What alcohol? Simply not present.

M-Good balanced medium/sticky mouthfeel and balanced carbonation.

D-Buy it again? Hell yeah! Drink it every night? No way. This is a sweet tooth treat, and clearly not for everyone. I really love super sweet beers, and this has to be nearly at the end of the spectrum.

Just a bit of advice. If you are searching for a stout fix, this is not it....but something totally different.

3.96/5  rDev +1.5%

last beer in a night of stouts.

full head with plenty of retention.

aroma is out of control. butterscotch, werthers originals, others were saying it was exactly like the generic brand of yellow plastic wrapped butterscotch candies found in every convenience store. i dont remember them, so i cant attest to that, but everyone else was in agreement over that. vanilla extract, milky caramel, a touch of nut, a touch of... tree? perfumey with weird but very minimal hints of spice and maybe watermelon. some oddities buried under the butterscotch.
also, about twenty minutes after the bottle had been poured, i left the room and upon walking back, i could smell it from outside the room. the most aromatic beer ive had.

taste is ultra creamy milk, vanilla, butterscotch. some of that perfume here as well.

creamy with a cola carbonation.

the sweetness really impedes the drinkability. would highly dissuade anyone from tackling a bottle by his- or herself. everything else is thumbs up delicious, though. my friend justin said something along the lines of "its beers like that that show me how far beer has come. turning water into fancy-ass water..." and its not fancy water. its definitely fancy-ass water. wow.

2.76/5  rDev -29.2%

A-3.0 pour jet black with just a slight brown shade with a slim minimal white head struggling to cover the top of the beer
S-4.5 reaks of creme brulee with notes of vanilla with a caramel asserting itself with just a twinge of chocolate and coffee in the background
T-2.0 huge vanilla up front with a sweetness like eating a crème brulee but the chocolate/toffee malts asserts itself more aggressively with a little alcohol or hop bitterness to balance the taste (rightly so for the style) but overall I'm not sure if this works imperial style the massive malt and alcohol/hop present bitterness in a sweet stout interpretation albeit imperial style doesn't quite work for me
M-3.0 very heavy and rich body with a low carbonation the huge rich taste is almost a turnoff especially in a 22 oz bomber
D-2.0 not remotely drinkable, definitely a sipper tough I'm lost for words at why you bottle it in 22 oz. servings being an imperial sweet stout it seems a contradiction since due to it's imperial character it seems there is an off balance between it's imperialness and its sweet goodness which i wish would dominate a bit more

3.94/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Southern Tier glass. Pours black with a tan head that settled to a thin covering that clung to the sides. A little lacing on the glass as I drank it.

Aroma has a very strong vanilla and butterscotch presence, maybe a little chocolate but it's tough to get anything else over the Creme Brulee flavors. Smells pretty much like a Creme Brulee in beer form.

Taste has vanilla with some chocolate and some roasted grains in the bitter finish. The butterscotch isn't as pronounced as in the nose but it's still there. Has a sweetness to it as well which was expected. Pretty much tastes like Creme Brulee.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is not great, it's a very strong flavor and pretty sweet. 22 oz is definitely too much for one person, splitting it with several people would be good.

Overall this is pretty much exactly like Creme Brulee in a bottle. It is good in moderate amounts but gets overwhelming after a bit. A 4 oz sample for desert would be great. It seems like they hit their target of Creme Brulee pretty well though.

3.05/5  rDev -21.8%

Midnight black with a caramel colored, fluffy head. The nose is bursting with sweet creme brulee-esque aromas with vanilla being the brunt of the attack. The taste is the same with flavors of vanilla, whipped cream, caramel, and milk chocolate. A bit much if you ask me. The mouthfeel is sticky and sweet. Extremely so. It tastes to me like somebody pureed some creme brulee and added some alcohol. A 22 oz. bottle seems a bit extreme for this one, a bit much for one person to stomach quite frankly. It's an interesting and unique beer for sure, but not one that I'd recommend unless you're a big fan of sweeter style beers. Maybe split it three ways with some bittersweet chocolate or fruit or something.

4.52/5  rDev +15.9%

Presentation: 1pint, 6 oz bottle into a snifter. Bottle has it pegged at 10% ABV (9.2% listed here ATM).

A- Pours a deep, dark brown / black, and completely opaque. Vigorous pour nets ~1 finger of brown head, which is fades rapidly into a thin ring of foam, and an incomplete, oily island.

S- Major butterscotch and vanilla....very, very reminiscent of it's namesake. Nailed so astonishingly, it must be a 5.

T- Wow. Not much needs to be said other than "liquefied crème brûlée." A moderate alcohol warming and kick on the finish. I love crème brûlée, so unsurprisingly, I love this.

M- Moderately low carbonation. Fairly thick and full....good.

D- Good as a slow sipper, and quite smooth and easy drinking considering it's 10 % ABV ....but so rich, that it can only carry you so far. Not exactly a chore to consume the entire bottle solo, but might be best to split in the future.

Future outlook: I'd been told that this one was out of sight, but kept looking for the right time to indulge myself....Merry Christmas to me. These beers that shoot for such unique "mimicking" flavors seem to so often fall short, but this one impressed the hell out of me. I'll be happy to try this one again.

1.96/5  rDev -49.7%

G: Duvel tulip

A: Very dark and opaque brown body with one finger of dark mocha head. Head quickly fades away leaving the slightest lacing.

S: Very strong aroma of milk chocolate and vanilla. Some caramel and butterscotch comes behind. Surprised at how strong the vanilla is.

T: A mixture of butterscotch, vanilla and milk chocolate create a very strong taste. Really captures the creme brulee goal and is quite sweet.

M: Heavy bodied giving it a syrupy texture and has relatively low carbonation. It leaves a very sweet sticky feeling in the mouth begging for another drink. Also the alcohol isn't that apparent until after it passes down the throat.

D: The taste is fantastic and hit the goal, but it's to expensive and to 'out there' to drink regularly. Outstanding job none the less.

EDIT: After I continued on with this bomber and the temperature hit room it became very hard to drink and the alcohol pierced through. Extremely hard to finish this beer right now.

Ended up with pouring the beer. When cold it's drinkable.

3.55/5  rDev -9%

Pours a large light tan head with good retention and some lacing. Very dark brown nearly black colored beer. The aroma is very very sweet. Vanilla ice cream in a waffle cone... yep that's what it smells like. Tastes of burnt cream, vanilla, light nuttiness, and very sweet sugary caramel. Also some light bitterness from the hops. The mouth feel is thick and creamy with a lingering chard/sweet flavor. This is a very very sweet beer that would be difficult to drink a lot of. A good suggestion was beer floats. I might have to finish this bottle with some ice cream.

3.2/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours black in a sniffer, forming a thin mocha head that disappears quickly to finally look like a flat soft drink!

S: STRONG vanilla sent, too pronounced almost artificial. Brown sugar. No roasted grain in here.

M: Damn it, Feels like a vanilla coke! Too bad.

T: Sweetness. Vanilla dominates largely and everything. Caramel is present too. Easily comparable to Bailey's Irish cream. Nothing more to say. No signs of roastiness...

Overall: Big disappointment for me! I would have like a more refined milk stout since it is an "imperial series" The overall fealing of this beer is like a soft drink artificially flavoured. Will look for something else for my next milk stout.

4.59/5  rDev +17.7%

Serving type- 22 ounce bottled poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a jet black that doesn't seem to have any head. There is a little cling to the glass but nothing to write home about and there is no carbonatin activity.

S- Damn this beer smells exquisite. I get the strong vanilla notes right when I open the beer. I am not a huge vanilla fan but for some reason this really is appealing to me. It's weird there is a strong vanilla presence but it doesn't seem to be overwhelming or overpowering. It simply is a nice smelling pungent beer.

T- First off I am getting the vanilla presence here in the taste as well. It starts off with the vanilla flavors then mellows out and I am getting a smooth alcohol type finish. Very drinkable even though it is a pretty strong beer.

This is a great tasting beer. However this is not the type of beer that you could knock back two or three. This beer should be reserved for a special desert maybe, but something that compliments and not overpowers. I would love to have more of these but like I said this is not the kind of beer where you put down three in a night. A special brew that should be reserved for special reasons.

4.19/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

poured into boston lager glass

A: pours dark reddish black, thin light brown head light lacing
S: sweet cane sugar caramel, vanilla, dark roasted malt, light hint of coffee.
T: sweet, vanilla hits first followed by caramel, with aftertaste of dark malt. as with smell a very light flavor of coffee. did i mention its sweet
M: thick, milky, light carbonation.
D: easy to drink despite having the sweetness of a soda.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company