Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
3.18/5  rDev -18.3%

I was pumped to try this, as Creme Brulee is my favorite desert item.

A - One finger head, sticks around for a bit. Lacing is present. Opaque.

S - Smells exactly like Creme Brulee, with the added influence of roasted grain. Indeed, the aroma blew me out of the water. For what it is, perfect.

T - Hmmm....after smelling it, I thought this was going to be a desert in a glass. But after having gone through a 22, I'm getting the distinct impression that taste is being placed on the back burner, in favor of aroma. It's really muddied, with caramel malts present, lactose, roasted grain. Cloying, and to be frank it was almost difficult to finish the 22. Not terrible, don't get me wrong, but I won't be having any more. Again, this coming from someone who enjoys both sweet stouts and creme brulee.

To its benefit, I wasn't detecting any significant amount of alcohol, which is a fairly decently feat for a 10% brew.

M - Mouthfeel was good. Silky. Carbonation was about right.

D - For a 10% ABV brew, the drinkability is quite good, in the sense that the strong alcohol content is not detectable. That said, the taste and muddiness kills the drinkability factor. I was having a hard time finishing a 22.

At the end of the day, creme brulee (the desert item) is as much a tactile experience as it is a taste experience. When you sit down and think about it, creme brulee in drinkable form is an unappealing thought...which is kind of what I'm left with when I look at this brew overall.

4.55/5  rDev +17%

Thanks to Chris (cvfish) for providing a sample of this. And he got it from what may have been one of the last honest trades by one of BA's Most Wanted on the bad traders list! Thank God he wasn't a victim...

Pours a dark black color with a 1 finger tan head that leaves a fair amount of lacing. I only sampled about half a glass of this so its entirely possible I may be shortchanging the appearance a bit.

Wow, this is a very sweet smelling brew. Butterscotch, espresso, and brown sugar are clearly evident in the aroma.

The taste is very true to the name...creme brulee is definitely there, a very pronounced butterscotch with notes of rich coffee, sugar, and vanilla. Very sweet. Amazing.

Thick but not overbearing. The ideal dessert beer. Maybe this would be too rich for some, but I thought it was amazingly drinkable for being such a sweet treat. I would love to have to this one again.

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

The aroma is pure creme brulee, chocolate coffee liquer. The mouthfeel is above average, and yes it tastes like creme brulee. Coffee and the like are the biggest stomach irritants known to man, and this was no exception. Great job, but not something I will go for again. Dangerously high alchol, disguised of course behind the sugar.
Had this again 1.5 years later and it made a good sweet dessert at the end of a tasting, but just half a glass is enough.

22 oz.
Black pour with some brown around the edges. Off white/cream colored head. Quite a bit of lacing sticking to the glass with this one. Aroma very sweet with vanilla, mocha, brown sugar.
Flavor is heavy vanilla bean, followed by some roast malt and chocolate. Finishes just a hint of smoke and coffee bitter. Not quite creamy, which would really help if it was a bit more creamy. Lingers with you a bit, it really does taste quite a bit like creme brulee, especially when chilled. Gets a bit more diverse, and better, as it warms with more roasted tones coming through. The alcohol only peaks through a bit as it warms also, but still nearly non-existant for 10%.
A bit overpoweringly sweet for regular consumption, but certainly a worthy dessert beer.

4.93/5  rDev +26.7%

A - Poured black that produced a brown, fluffy head that retained nicely and left a beautiful lacing around the glass

S - The smell was great, vanilla beans is arousing, and the smokey hints tease

T - The taste is divine, I can't imagine how it only gets a B+, but the vanilla, expresso, and creamly taste makes me drool

M - Creamy, light carbonation, and some body

D - I would highly recommend this wonderful beer, my first Southern Tier and I was blown away! However, this is more of a novelty beer, and thats how I am rating it. Not something I would kick back and enjoy a game to, but a delicious beer for special occasions, and that is how I like it

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Pitch black hole body with no highlights, topped by two level fingers of light brown micro bubbles. Nice dripping lace.

Incredible vanilla nose impresses as soon as the cap comes off.

Sweet vanilla kicks things off. Roast coffee perking underneath. Lot of cream before the swallow. Sweet though not cloying aftertaste. Slight alcoholic heat belly afterglow.

Nice rich mouthfeel, did they smooth it with a blowtorch?

Surprisingly drinkable. Sweet but not over powering. Srong but not burning. Not something for a regular diet, but an interesting treat.

2.83/5  rDev -27.2%

22oz bottle poured into small glass. Shared with family and friends over the weekend. The label shows some cows grazing on a farm.

A- As expected Creme Brulee comes out a dark brown to black color. While in the glass this stout is as black as anything else in the Blackwater series. A 1/2 finger loose head creeps up and actually has some staying power before it vanishes. Moderate lacing.

S- OMG this is one sweet smelling brew and quite over powering with you guessed it creme brulee and vanilla beans with some butterscotch. The malts are present and welcomed by me. I smelled more of a hop presence in a fresh bottle but those hops are former shells of themselves now.

T- Guess what? This tastes like creme brulee so this is ST offering is not false advertisement. If you expect something else, well, i don't know what to do for you. This also tastes like peeling off the top creamy layer of a dozen plus butterscotch tasty cakes and stuffing them in your mouth. I'm sure there is a generous amount of hops and malts in this but they are not helping center this brew. There is an additional sweetness to creme brulee with distinct burnt sugar extract.

M- A pretty medium mouth feel that feels thicker then it is with the over abundance of sweetness coming from all angles. The sweet creme brulee taste lingers around forever, too long perhaps.

D- There is no way i could ever finish a bottle of this even 1/2. The most i can take at a time at most is a 5% and prefer less at a sitting. I have extra bottles of this so i love taking it to parties and watching unsuspecting people cringe drinking it even though i warn em before. I love desert beers but this one is way to much.

I love southern tier brewing and all the offerings i've had from them, but i don't see myself buying this again, unless a hot chick that loves sweets is looking for a brew.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

From my notebook of beer reviews. Tried this on 12/14/08 at a BA tasting at the Gingerman in Houston.

A: Pours a dark brown, nearly black color. A small tan head and light lace.
S: Milk chocolate, coffee, coco, and vanilla. Delicious and powerful.
T: The taste follows the nose. Some milk chocolate and vanilla dominate. Tastes like chocolate cake.
M/D: A full body that is like velvet. Easy and smooth to drink. The high ABV is not noticeable at all.

A desert beer or after dinner beer. One I really liked, and would recommend.

3.35/5  rDev -13.9%

22oz. bottle poured into an imperial Guiness pint glass.

A-Pours a opaque black with a two finger white head that lingers until the second drink. No real lacing present on the glass. Carbonation appears a bit too high for this style.

S-Holy jeepers! Dessert in a bottle, smells sweeet! Butterscotch, vanilla, sugar and chocolate...not much roasted smell at all for a stout. Smells like a white russian, with way too much Kahlua.

T-Tastes like it smells, loads of butterscotch and vanilla flavor. Extremely sweet, lots a sugar taste. Very unique flavor and very pronounced

M-Thick, but not heavy. The mouthfeel really contributes to the flavor ecspecially the after taste. Very creamy reminds me of drink creamer for coffee.

D-I have never had a beer that tastes like this. It reminds me of melting vanilla ice cream into butterscotch brandy and cream. Super thick and sweet. A on par beer, but I don't think I could drink more than one. Definetely a good beer to share with 1 or 2 friends for dessert. Southern Tier does a good job with this series in bringing the flavors to the forefront, but its a bit much in this brew.

3.43/5  rDev -11.8%

A - Pours blackish brown, but not completely opaque, with a brown head.

S - Well, like creme brulee. Southern Tier seems to have worked a lot on perfecting that scent. It doesn't precisely translate to the taste.

T - Like a meaty hand jamming vanilla beans down my gullet. There's a little maltiness and coffee, so it isn't quite like drinking vanilla extract. Maybe a teeny bit of hops in there.

M - Thick and... surprise... syrupy. And I pronounce that surrupy not seerupy.

Notes - Had a small amount at a tasting at the Charleston Beer Exchange. Nice in a small dole but tastes like something that goes on pancakes more than in pint glasses. I like sweet beers, but I don't think I could make it through more than a pint.

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A rich, opaque, chocolate beer is covered by a smooth, velvet, cappuccino head which quickly fades to lace in a thin layer over the beer. When held to the light, a ruby halo accents the glass.

The aroma of Crème Brulee is spectacular, followed by sweet coffee and Kahlua-n-cream.

The flavor profiles live up to the aroma, with chocolate milk, molasses, caramel and latte. Overall, this is moderately sweet with a hint of acid and a lightly bitter finish highlighted with vanilla, nutmeg and a touch of whiskey.

This is a medium-bodied, dry beer, creamy smooth with soft carbonation and moderate alcohol.

Southern Tier has served up an easy choice as a special treat. I plan to finish this bottle and save another for just such a special occasion.

Date consumed: 21 August 2008

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

I got this brew in my 1st trade. Thanks to corby112 for making it easy for me. Now I'm not gonna lie, I never was more excited to try a brew than I was with this one... Something about turning a creamy hardened custard into a beer really did it for me. With that being said, LET'S DO THIS:

It poured a deep black as night color with barely any head. Just some bubbles kickin' around. But it still had some decent lacing, that slowly trickled down my glass.

Now this bitch smells like straight up butterschnaps. Lots of butterscotch meshing with vanilla. Smells very interesting.

I don't know if I wanna call this beer, but.... I like it. No question about that, it's quite tasty. Smooth butterscotch up front meshing again with vanilla. Very sweet, almost too sweet

Very slick feeling in the mouth. Drinkability in my opinion has to be low, even though it's very tasty I'm going to have a problem finishing this whole bomber... Overall, worth the trade. Southern TIER needs to get to maine!

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

Bomber poured into a stemless wine glass.

A-Black, opaque beer, very opaque and very black. Poured no head to speak of, though attractive light-brown bubbles appeared with the glass was swirled.

S-Thick with vanilla, be it vanilla bean, vanilla pudding, or vanilla candle. An almost harshness was hiding beneath it, perhaps a slight alcoholic harshness.

T-Overwhelmingly vanilla. However, as I sorted through the vanilla flavors, I was able to find some dry roasty malt underneath, pushing through when it was able. The harsh alcohol in the nose was not present in the flavor, instead showing through as a smooth alcohol, fading into a nice, strong hop bitterness into the end. (Did I even sense some barely perceptible hop flavor? Maybe.) Finishes with a pronouned vanilla, semi-sweet.

M-Slick, full body. Feels like drinking an oil spill (though probably tastes better). Viscous on the glass and within my mouth. Carbonation was low, perhaps a bit too low.

D-Moderate, due partly to it's immenseness. The strong, at times overwhelming vanilla to hijack the rest of the beer's flavors, but in the end still helped provide this beer its unique character. Enjoy as a desert wine, and share the bomber.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

poored a transparent black, ruby through in the light, little head mostly just a ring of bubbles around the rim
Smell was a strong vanilla pudding
taste was roasted coffee over a vanilla pudding
mouthfeel looked like it would be thin when it was poored but had lots of body, was a bit shocked how thick it really felt.
Drinkability - was very sweet but is a wonderful dessert beer, which is when it was enjoyed

2.17/5  rDev -44.2%

Man...to be honest, I have been requesting this beer for quite some time as all the reviews have been enticing.

My brother got me a bottle as part of a beer basket for Christmas.

Poured into a small sifter glass...ink black with virtually no head...just a small amount of bubbles around the rim of the glass.

Smelled of butterscotch. I'm not even going to try to get into the undertones...just absolute straight butterscotch.

Taste did not diverge much from the smell. Did not enjoy it whatsoever myself since I'm not a fan of butterscotch. Had a few of my buddies try it who liked butterscotch but they were unimpressed.

Mouthfeel was thick and sweet...I suppose if you enjoyed butterscotch, you may be for it. Otherwise, you may want to grab a Coors Light.

All in all, a complete disappointment. I understand that I do not like butterscotch whatsoever...if one who reads this reveiw does, it may be a completely different story. For the price, please read the reviews and do your homework!

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Boy, is this ever a love it or hate it kind of beer. I happen to really like it, but it is way over the top and very sweet, very much a dessert beer- I could see how people would hate it it as well. It pours inky black with a thin head. Smells quite sweet and exactly like creme brulee, with burnt caramel and thick, sweet milk with an eggy richness. The taste is similar, with an even more burnt aftertaste, and big, rich vanilla and cream flavors. Very sweet, but an uncanny replica of creme brulee in a glass- with a shot of brandy. Thick and viscous in the mouth. Its a bit too rich and thick to have much of this, but quite a pleasure as a sipper.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

a: a beautiful thick black body with 1/4" tan head; light lace and decent retention

s: caramel and syrup with vanilla ice cream; butter and chocolate

t: very sweet caramel and syrup wth vanilla ice cream; butter and chocolate; as well as added light coffee; it is similar to creme brulee; i see it

m: smooth but a little sticky and syrupy

d: really heavy and a little too sweet to have a full pint but an interesting beer that is worth a couple desert tastes

2.73/5  rDev -29.8%

Shared a bomber with my brother on the 4th night of Hanukkah. Heard a lot of great things about this beer, but I was disappointed when it came to tasting time:
A: dark brown, almost black; pours thick with a small off-white head that dissipates quickly
S: the smell is sweet with heavy notes of caramel and vanilla; little to no malt aroma; no hop aroma
T: cloyingly, overly sweet; no hop flavor; maybe the faintest touch of a roasted malt character (emphasis on faint); i was expecting a more well-balanced beer with background notes of caramel and vanilla, but those flavors were just in-your-face up front and dominated the beer
M: medium to medium-high carbonation; full body
D: this beer really just killed me when it came to the taste. the "creme brulee" flavors were artificial and too pronounced. i understand this is supposed to be an extreme beer, but you can't just throw a ton of sugar into a beer and pretend that it's extreme. i think a better route for this brew would be to use crystal malts or kettle caramelization to impart a light caramel flavor, and then use vanilla beans (sparingly) to add the vanilla notes. i'm not sure what they did when brewing this, but i feel like some artificial flavor extracts were just tossed in at the end. it's definitely an interesting beer to try, and i'm not saying it tastes bad per se, it's just not "beer like" in my opinion.

3.43/5  rDev -11.8%

A 650 mL bottle purchased at Sam the Beer Man's in Binghamton, NY.

A: The stout is oily black, a singularity that absorbs all light shone into it. The ale lacks an appreciable head, what lingers is thin and white in color.

S: The nose is syrupy sweet with caramel, vanilla, and butter rum mixing with booze. The aroma is very interesting.

T: The stout is incredibly sweet, thick and full of flavor. More butter rum, vanilla and caramel mix with burnt grains and coffee. The ale is very boozy, reeking of alcohol with each sip. Butter rum flavors last.

M: The mouthfeel is sweet but abrasive. The flavor profile is cloyingly sweet at times, while the alcohol burns. An interesting ale that I was happy to share with ksak.

D: One half of a bomber is enough for me.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

Reviewed on 8/15/08. Bottle. I have been anticipating this beer for awhile, because of the name of course. It actually didn't disappoint! This is a very interesting and unique beer. For that alone, it is worth trying! Anyway, to the beer...pours black with a small light tan head. Aroma is quite powerful!! Lots of cream, caramel, vanilla, and butterscotch. Flavor is pretty similar: lots of vanilla, cream, coffee ice cream, white sugar. Very sweet, obviously, and heavy on the palate. This is a very good beer if sampled in small amounts. So split a bottle with friends for dessert!
7/4/8/3/15 (3.7/5)

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

Pours a deep brown, almost black, that is capped by a cocoa colored small head. Not much of a head, so not much retention and little lace - as expected in a higher abv beer.

With the first sniff you realize those crazy guys upstate hit it out of the park again. Loads of vanilla, caramel, and cream. Roasted character sneaks in adding hazelnut coffee. Wow this is one enticing aroma - it smells like dessert.

Flavor leads with creme brulee - vanilla, caramel, and cream. Like the aroma, coffee steps up next followed by some mild alcohol. Taste is like Frangelico spiked coffee. A little milk chocolate finishes things off. Just a ridiculous flavor.

Full bodied, smooth, rich, and satisfying. Not to drink with dessert - this is dessert. A real sipper that dares you to come back for more. The alcohol is not upfront, but is not hard to find. The fullness alone keeps drinkability down a bit, but you will want more.

Exactly what you would want/expect from something labeled Creme Brulee, and that alone makes this a special beer.

I had this one at Jake's Steak House in the Bronx, after a delicious Porter House.

A - Poured nearly black with a nice cream head of tan foam.

S - Creme Brulee, pretty much says it all. Sweet aroma of vanilla cream.

T - See above! Rich and very sweet. Lots of big vanilla flavor with hints of chocolate and smoke.

MF&D - This is a dessert stout. Went great as a compliment to a great dinner. I would not consider this a session beer by any means, way to sweet.

Thanks to EPseja for this one.

This is kind of a weird, novelty type beer so this one is hard to judge with any style guidlines in mind. With that being said, I am judging based on overall flavor and feel without any consideration for style.

Pours a dark dark brown, almost black color with a tan head. Very creamy and thick out of the 22oz bottle into a white wine glass.

Aroma is basically butterscotch and cream. Flavor is the same. My family makes Buttery Nipple shots for Christmas and this tasted exactly like that (kahlua, butterscotch shnapps, and irish creme liquor). Really sweet and pretty overpowering.

This would be hard to drink alone. I split this with three other family memebers and barely finished mine due to the sweetness and cloyingness. A good dessert beer and somewhat of a novelty. I could see myself drinking this again in the future. Beware of the sweetness and butterscotch in this one!

1.25/5  rDev -67.9%

What is trinity cream? Pours a midnight black color with very little hue throughout. A very prominent and soft tan head with good retention and lacing. Not sure for how long as it was a dumper.

The nose has WAY too much vanilla coming out. Put the glass now and still could smell it. Let it breath for 10 minutes, still the vanilla is obnoxious. Some butter and milky notes. No beer notes to speak of.

The taste is super sweet and like the nose is dominated by vanilla. Super sweet with a "hurts your teeth" sweetness. There is a fake cream/lactic thing that really emphasizes the sweetness. Almost like condensed milk. On the back end the vanilla comes out and really overpowers everything in the finish. Some minor roast, but really where is the beer.

The body is waaay too sweet. Overall this is not beer. This is a dumper. How can you drink this?

4.28/5  rDev +10%

PatronWizard...you're the man!!!

A: Poured somewhat thin and brown that transcended into a dark and seductive abyss. The beer also exhibited a nice white and frothy head that eventually went away after a few minutes.

S: When my girlfriend and me took a big whiff of this mighty beer, I felt like I just walked into Starbucks and ordered a caramel frappicino (not sure about the spelling there, lol). The aroma consists of a overwhelming caramel presence along with hints of whip cream and vanilla.

T: Awesome! Along with the caramel and vanilla qualities, the flavor has a nice and subtle roasted coffee character to it that almost makes this beverage seem to be anything but a beer!

M: Not as viscous as you might think, but still above-average for a stout. A medium-body beer that I thought that could have had more body, but this is not a knock on the beer itself.

D: Other than the subtle hints of alcohol warmness at end of the sip, this beer seems to nothing like a beer at all. Very smooth along with a rich flavor that I would find hard for anyone not to enjoy.

Overall: After enjoying Southern tier's Oatmeal stout and Choklat, I thought that this particular brewing company couldn't brew any other beers better than that. Simply put, I was completely wrong in thinking so. The Crème brulee is one of the most delicous beers to ever touch this palate, and I hope it will again someday soon. A must, must, must try!!! Cheers!

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company