Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.
4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours quite black with a moderately sized tan head. Impressive retention considering the strength of the beer, and appropriate lacing. The nose of this beer immediately says that it is no common stout, nay, this is an imperial milk stout, the likes of which I have ne'er had before. Immense aroma of milk sugar, burnt sugar, vanilla cream. This is not hyperbole, this is hugely sweet.

Tastes of sweet vanilla, burnt sugar, milk and cookies, lots of roast behind it all, but this is a decadent sugary explosion. Too sweet? For some, but what is to be expected from a Creme Brulee? Like the other specialties from Southern Tier, this goes after a specific flavor and nails it. This beer would be a failure if they called it Creme Brulee and it wasn't very sweet. A dessert beer, to be shared with friends. Uniquely delicious. Medium bodied with a smooth medium carbonation that does not distract from the decadence.

Another hit in Southern Tier's BlackWater series. Is it shockingly sweet? Yes. Is it decadent in both aroma and flavor? Yes. I submit that this beer well achieves the essence of its namesake.

2.12/5  rDev -45.6%

I love creme brulle and I love beer so this should be great.
The beer is nice and dark and pours with a thick full head that has nice retention. The nose is extremely close to creme caramel not really creme brulle, but it smells incredibly interesting.

Everything is down hill from there. The beer is disgustingly sweet (cloying is not even close to accurate...this beer is thick with sugar and just over the top nasty). Vanilla so overpowering on the front that there isn't much left to taste. The beer finished even worse with an overly bitter kick and nothing even close to a stout's character. I rinsed my mouth out with water after the first sip.

As the beer warms, things go from bad to worse. This is a novelty act in the extreme and I would NEVER buy the beer again.

totally disgusting.

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

A - Poured a dark black. Head dissipated quickly.

S - Smells just like creme brulee.

T - Tastes just like creme bruleee. This beer truly does come as advertised. Sweet vanilla, sugary, caramel flavor, this is creme bruleee in a bottle. The alcohol comes through in the finish.

M - A bit watery for a stout. Moderate carbonation.

D - Very drinkable for such a highly alcoholic brew. I'm very impressed in how this brewery replicated such a complex dessert as creme brulee so faithfully. Bottom line: if you like creme brulee, you will enjoy this offering. If your not a fan, you might find this to be too sweet.

3.59/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a deep and opaque black, although some reddish highlights are in the corners, very thick light tan head forms, slowly settles down to a thick ring and thin layer, lace streaks on the glass, looks good. Smell is great, very rich, butterscotch, big vanilla, caramel corn, raisin, more toffee, cream, lactose sweetness, very malty, a hint of roast but basically big vanilla and caramel notes. Taste is similar, milk chocolate, hazelnut, vanilla, caramel and butterscotch, more vanilla, more caramel, just insanely rich, like dessert. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation, alcohol is hidden very well. I love this beer, never really experienced the caramelized and vanilla flavours as rich as this in any other beer

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

A - Poured out an opaque, jet black color with a small, light brown color. It left little to no lace.

S - It smelled of tons of vanilla, some chocolate and sweet, sweet caramel.

T - It tasted of vanilla, vanilla, vanilla. It really tasted like creme brulee. Caramel, vanilla and touches of toffee.

M - It was soft and smooth with a sticky mouthfeel. A medium to full bodied beer.

D - This is an amazing beer, however, it is a lot to drink at once. I shared it was some family but it was still very heavy.

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%

22oz bomber poured in a pint glass.

A: An agressive pour yields a 2-3 inch head that fades to a small ring with a good deal of lacing.

S: Smell is exactly like I expected and wonderful. It smells like creme brulee. Sweet and sugary vanilla, milk chocolate/mocha, and caramel/toffee.

T: The taste is toasted sugar, vanilla, cappuccino, and a slight burnt coffee on the finish.

M: The feel is a bit thin but it has good carbonation. The only low point of this beer.

D: The ABV is extremly well hidden so it creeps up on you. The sweetness of this would get a bit cloying after a while but I would definitely have this again. Now where to find it when it's released again.

After reading some reviews I expected this to not taste like creme brulee but it did. A definite must try.

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%

I finally decided to:

1: try an imperial stout and
2: try a Southern Tier

Appearance - Black with chocolate milk creamy head, big bubbles, head retention is not long but some lacing

Smell - Chocolate, malt, slight coffee, no hops though bottle states horizon aroma hops

Taste - Sweet, slight burnt flavor in the back of the mouth, some caramel (hence the name). Slight acidic bite at the end, no alcohol, though the bite seems to dwindle as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel - Well carbonated, not too heavy

Drinkability - One and done, glad I tried it, but I'm not sure I'd have another, though the beer is improving as it warms up, perhaps I started this with it being too cold though the recommendation is 42 degrees.

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%

Thanks to Rgtravers for this brew. Hopefully this hits the market in Florida sooner rather than later.

The beer pours a very happy shade of black with a chocolate creme head that sticks around. Very nice lacing. Garnish with mint and berries?

The vanilla is apparent in the nose, followed by creamy milk and, I know I was hallucinating here, a raspberry. I sat for a few minutes sniffing the bottle. If Southern Tier made air fresheners I would totally buy this for my car.

The vanilla, cream, and a hint of the ABV dominate the mouth. This is a great dessert or before bed beer. Very sweet and very tasty.

Creme Brulee is creamy. This beer is like a carbonated creme brulee. Yea, a little exaggerated, but ou get the idea.

This is scary drinkable. That said, it is a bit sweet to session. I will, however, find another bottle to enjoy.

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Bomber poured into an oversized wine glass.

A: Midnight black off the pour, stellar caramel colored head that looked alive for some time. Killer legs.

S: Oh boy! Right off the cap, it is in your face with the aromatics. With a nose half down the glass: caramelized sugar, vanilla, coffee bean. It smells 100% like creme brulee and that's no joke. The unanimous winner of this brew.

M: Full in body, very sticky, minimal carbonation, ABV noticeable, but plays well.

D: For dessert beers this is right on. One sick sipper. The sweetness is just too barring to do anything else with it. Best shared with others, comes recommended for special occasions or if your craving burn cream and beer at the same time.

Cheers!

I felt like I needed something special for brew review #200, so I searched through the fridge. I've been a big Southern Tier fan for a while now and despite the big miss on Chokolat, I was excited to try this brew.

A: Dark brown color with a small tan head that fades quickly but leaves plenty of lace.

S: Creme brulee aroma comes through strong and hard, the name doesn't lie.

T: SWEET vanilla and creme up front, with a bit of a nasty cola flavor on the undertone. A really hoppy bitterness come through at the end and it does not jive well at all with the SWEETNESS up front. This tries to be a well balanced brew but really comes across as a freaking mess that can't make up it's mind (too sweet and too bitter).

M: Full bodied with moderate carbonation and a sickeningly sweet aftertaste.

D: Well after a strong start to our relationship that's two awful brews in a row from ST (Chokolate being the other). As I said earlier, this was just a complete mess, it tried to a beer a dessert beer and a stout at the same time and ended up accomplishing neither. I'm starting to think I need to stay away from dessert flavored beers, they just don't seem to work for me. Try this at your own risk.

4.07/5  rDev +4.4%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter glass. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours pretty thick and pitch black that produced a 2 finger light brown to gray head that is staying around for awhile. Diminished, but is still present after a few minutes.

(S)- Wow! Sweet and creamy milk chocolate malted shake with cinnamon, vanilla, and essences of coffee. Amazing smell that I cant get enough of! Has an interesting french vanilla creamer aroma to it.

(T)- Ample roasted malts that are lightly bittering that is followed by dusty cocoa and sweet creamy vanilla on the finish. Some bits of butterscotch within.

(M)- Very creamy sweet with plenty of roasted malts to supplement it. Good balance, but very sweet overall. Very much a dessert beverage; not your normal imperial stout. Great carbonation level. The high 10%abv is integrated very well.

(D)- A unique stout with the addition of being brewed with vanilla beans. Very sweet, but is somewhat balanced by the roasted malts. Share the 22oz. with a friend; almost too rich and sweet to drink by yourself.

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a motor-oil black color with a brown one-finger head into my fluted glass. Pretty much the proper color.

Aroma is full of vanilla, caramel and cream in the nose. Very interesting. Only a whiff of chocolate.

Taste is sweet with caramel, vanilla and cream flavors mingling in the mouth, followed by a roasted coffee and chocolate feel in the middle. Somewhat subdued, never overpowering.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering flavors mentioned above. Carbonation is a bit high and only a bit of alcohol warmth shows up. Otherwise, pretty easy-drinking for the flavors in it.

I was expecting something creamier but this stout has an interesting mix of flavors. It tends to get better as it warms up though. Worth a try at least once but ST makes better boundary-pushing imperial beers (Choklat for example).

4.34/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a snifter.

Pours super dark, murky brown that is completely opaque, which is expected of stouts. Minimal caramel colored head that all but dissipates into nothingness. The smell is super, super sweet. Vanilla is the most obvious scent, but after a few more sniffs, I can make out coffee, chocolate and the tiniest malty backside. It's like sniffing a milkshake made with Kahlua. Wow.

Sweetness is definitely the order of the day here. I tasted the coffee, cream and vanilla on the front end, which was definitely a unique experience. It was sweet, but not a saccharine sweetness since that would have been a little too much even for someone like me who prefers his beers not too bitter. Speaking of bitterness, the hops assert themselves after the first few seconds, reminding you that you're drinking beer and not a milkshake. It finishes off with both sweetness and bitterness, the hoppy zip and the creamy lushness combining to provide a back end that is quite pleasant. For a brew that has 10% ABV, I certainly didn't taste it at all, as it was masked behind all the other flavors that came out to play. The beer's full body and minimum carbonation allow for the stoutness to really shine through. Nice and thick, which is how a stout should be.

For someone like me who enjoys beers that aren't too hoppy, this is a great drink. Thanks to the wonderful smell and balanced taste (with very well-hidden alcohol content), this is something I would most certainly drink again. Definitely have to check out the other Southern Tier offerings after this.

3.89/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours an extremely dark brown with a tan colored head. Aroma is what you would expect for something called creme brulee. Tons of vanilla and caramel. Taste is more of the same along with some burnt sugar. Very sweet. This one is tough to drink. The first time I had this I couldnt finish the bottle by myself, it became too much. The second time I wisely shared it with a group of people and it was much more enjoyable with a small glassful as a nightcap. Definitely one of the most unique stouts I have ever had.

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%

~Purchased this 22 oz bomber from Big Z Beverage in Huntington, NY. You are either going to love this concoction or hate it. I actually enjoyed every moment of this gem from the first sip to its last. Even if imperial milk stout's aren't your thing, you should give this beer a try at least once - you will not be disappointed! The 10% ABV is undetectable, so drink carefully. Wonderful beer! ~

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

This poured an opaque dark mahogany with some dark tan head. It smelled crazy sweet, like marshmallows and vanilla and confectioners sugar, with some heavily creamed coffee and a bit of oak. It tasted like burnt sugar and French vanilla and rich caramel, with coffee and cream and toffee. It was somewhat thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a bittersweet aftertaste. Overall...wow. This beer is so sweet. I had read other accounts of it, and they're not exaggerating. Luckily I have a pretty big sweet tooth, so I really enjoyed it, but I could definitely understand if others can't stand it. It's a polarizing beer. It actually reminded me more of tiramisu than creme brulee, due to the hints of coffee. Still, despite the sweetness, I thought it was surprisingly complex (many different types of sweet) and enjoyable. It hid the alcohol super well, but this beer definitely needs to be sipped. I'd easily buy this again, and I'm curious how it might age.

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from a bottle and consumed September 2009.

A: Big, black, and thick. Minor tan colored head.

S: Nauseatingly sweet scent. Cotton candy, caramelized sugar, and yes, creme brulee. Wow. Overpowering scent. I could smell this across the room.

T: Toasted oats, french vanilla or irish cream flavored coffee, and toffee. Some minor bittering elements through it (mostly from the burned sugar and coffee) but more sweet than not.

M: Very thick, with little carbonation. Not particularly oily or silky - just thick.

D: Not particularly drinkable to me. I don't particularly like it, but my wife definitely feels the opposite.

3.99/5  rDev +2.3%

The appearance is typical for the style with a dark red brown color bordering on black with an average head for the style. The head is foamy and fizzy making it not quite right bu still nice. The aroma is probably the best I have ever encountered. It has the richest Creme Beulee I have ever encountered, maybe even more than the real thing. Outstanding! The taste is not as impressive but still quite good. It has cream, chocolate, coffee, caramel, molasses, toffee, and bitter hops. The bitter hops ruin what could possibly be one of the best combination of flavors in any beer. The mouthfeel is only average bordering on thin and not right for the style. The drinkability is seriously hurt by the astringent hops but this is a seriously good beer!

2.64/5  rDev -32.3%

Pours a dark black color, small tan head after an aggressive pour. Poor retention. Smell is vanilla, burnt sugar, caramel, molasses, and butterscotch. The aroma is the best quality of this beer. Taste is the same as the smell, but also has some burnt coffee flavor. However, the more of this beer I drank, the less I liked it.

The mouthfeel is thick and too syrupy, and is a negative for me.
Drinkability is also questionable. While I liked the flavor initially, this gets harder to drink with each sip or swallow. Would have been better had it not been in a bomber bottle. I was going to share this with someone. She took a few sips and wanted no more.

3.92/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from the 22 oz. bomber that I bought at the brewery this past weekend into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail Pint glass.

A Almost black body (only the extreme edges are a dark dark brown in front of direct light) under a nice, creamy light brown head. Nice look. Appropriate to the style. 4.0

S Wow...there is a lot going on here. There is the sweetest of butterscotch smells, some whole milk goodness and, actually in the distance, some dark roast malt smell. Sweetness is prominent. My first smells actually reminded me of a Vanilla Latte. Nothing if not interesting. 4.5

T/M Wow, again I go to that word...right off I will say this is a big, big beer. Waves of sweet butterscotch malt, coffee, vanilla, dark roast and even a punch of alcohol wash over my taste buds in a very unique beer. I find myself sipping again and again to see if I can find other tastes. There is a syrupy thickness to the beer as well much like vanilla or caramel flavoring that might be added to a coffee. Very big, very sweet, very dark malt. 4.0

D Average drinkability. I will finish the 22 oz. I am sure but one bomber is all that I would likely do. There is a burn of alcohol in the distant aftertaste that I believe would motivate me to limit my intake of this ultimately interesting beer. 3.0

Notes: I enjoyed the more simple Choklat from the same brewery more than this one which tends to be all over the place. This is the 8th and final Soutern Tier beer that I have drank and rated since visiting there last weekend. Through this experience I can safely say that Southern Tier is one of our better craft breweries.

4.09/5  rDev +4.9%

Thee most aromatic, and unique smelling brew I've ever encountered. A little heavy on the palate, but with it's deep hints of sweet vanilla, chocolate, and molasses on the nose, you expected that. It poured almost dark black, with a small white head that vanished rather quickly. It's taste of rich vanilla, caramel, and chocolate malt. But becomes bitter with some coffee and at the end, nicely finishing of the almost overly sweet tone.

3.62/5  rDev -7.2%

Purchased from the Blatz Beer Cave in Milwaukee, WI. Poured gently into a snifter, this beer was black with a thin tan head. Aroma is of caramelized sugar and taffy; it really does smell just like creme brulee. Full bodied with a smooth mouth feel, this beer had over-the-top flavors of burnt sugar, vanilla and cream. It taste a little too much like real creme brulee. I'm not saying that is necessarily bad, just that 22oz. is a lot of it to drink in one sitting. And I split the bottle with my fiancee. It's definitely a sipper.

4.11/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from the bomber into a tulip.

Do you like sweet things? You may like this beer. Do you like sweet things that are so sweet they make you exclaim, 'aahhh?' Then that's one step in the right direction. Do you like things that are so sweet they're fluffy pink kittens that poop rainbows? Then Southern Tier's Imperial Crème Brûlée Stout is the beer for you.

The Crème Brûlée Stout pours like a normal stout, motor oil dark. If you hold the beer up to the light it'll eclipse that shit, which is a quality I greatly appreciate in a beer. My pour yielded very little head and I poured it intentionally to yield the maximum amount of head possible. The smell of this beer rocks my nose senses to the max! Seriously, I wish they made candles that smelled like this, because I'd totally go fruity and buy some and have 'em lit 24/7.

"What's that smell? It's like only six in the morning."
"That's mo' fuckin' vanilla mocha sex!"

You know there's vanilla in the beer the moment you smell it, you would have known before that if you read the label. The smell of the vanilla is very dominant, but also present are chocolate characteristics and a hint of coffee. It really smells like a vanilla caramel mocha. Drinking it drives this point home. But boy is Crème Brûlée Stout sweeet! Drinking it can be a little taxing, so you absolutely have to take your time drinking, a sipper as it were. There's a slight amount of hops present but the vanilla beats the hops down like they're Oliver asking for more. It's called Imperial Crème Brûlée Stout for a fucking reason. This is a great dessert beer. In fact I had it once with some double layered chocolate cake and it made my dick move.

Take your time with this beer and if you enjoy sweet things then you'll like this beer. The mouth-feel is thick and rich, it's a real delight to drink. The smell is wonderful and the taste is very unique. Try it.

Plus there's totally cows on the label, what's not to love?

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had a few from Southern Tier, but, as I have a large sweet tooth, I've been looking forward to trying this one.

Purchased for $8.95 for a 22oz bomber.
Poured into a pint glass.

A) Like a stout! Black except around the edges when held up to the light - very dark brown cola-esque. Cocoa-brown foamy head with decent retention. A small layer lasts on top of the brew and leaves a thick trail of lacing.

S) Upon opening the bottle vanilla pours out of it. Warm vanilla, caramel, sugar, faint malts. Sweet.

T) Ah...Again, extremely sweet. caramel-vanilla-sugar-cream. Subtle hops allow for a bitter bite at the end, making it a little more "beer-like" but it's still dessert. Had a little vanilla ice cream with this - coating my mouth with the vanilla ice cream and taking a sip of the beer brought out its creamy sweetness.

MF) Medium bodied. Good consistency - any thicker may have been overkill.

D) I like sweet things, and am happy to have tried this. However, this is super duper sweet and after about 8 oz. I had enough. Plus it's 10% ABV. After it warmed a bit (from staying in my glass for well over an hour) the alcohol came out in the taste more too. But still enjoyable, and a definite treat.

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%

Southern Tier are the masters of brewing beer that does not even taste like beer. This one is no exception. Here is my review:

A: Pours a deep black. Head is tan and leaves light lacing. Not super thick, but still very nice.

S/T: The aroma is amazing. Butterscotch, coffee, vanilla, marshmallows, and roasted malts. Taste is very similar. Butterscotch is the main flavor component here. Lots of vanilla and that roasted marshmallow flavor in the background. A touch of coffee and roasted malts. This beer is on the sweet side, but not nearly as sweet as many reviews would lead you to believe. Excellent stout.

M/D: Probably my biggest knock about the beer is the body. More medium bodied than full. It does coat the mouth somewhat. Carbonation is a little higher than I expect for the style. Drinks very well, but this is definetly a sipper. No alcohol presence whatsoever. Drinking a bomber is a great way to spend the night.

Southern Tier seldomly disappoints. This beer is pretty amazing as it exhibits flavors I have never experienced in a beer before. Truely original, this beer is one to seek out. If this beer had a little more body, this would easily be one of the best Imperial Stouts ever. Great Stuff.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company