Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
1.58/5  rDev -59.4%

This beer was an utter disaster. In my opinion it could have been something nice if they would have cranked down the vanilla extract, cake batter taste about 7/8th. It's that outta wack. It looks like a stout without the bishop's collar. Smell is again vanilla extract only. The taste is equally non-complex with thankfully some bitter roastedness in the finish. Mouthfeel and Drinkability are irrelevant as it is too cloying to swirl in the mouth and have more than a few sips before leaving at the bar. Again other than appearance this beer was an utter disaster.

Chinon01, Sep 19, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +25.4%

Appearance: A very good-looking beer (though I may be under the influence of its intoxicating perfume), black with glimmers of orange and an air-pocked latte-tan head. Only fair retention, but lots of pretty lacing.

Smell: So... much... delicious... vanilla! Huge vanilla character that blends with the chocolate and caramel malts to create: Oreos! Root beer floats! Butterscotch! And of course, creme brulee! This deserves higher than a 5. Oh well.

Taste: Sweet, creamy, decadent, and silly with vanilla - yet balanced. Big butterscotch sweetness floods the palate, carrying bits of raisin, graham cracker, and oatmeal with maple syrup here and there. The sweetness is intersected by the coffee and dark chocolate bitterness of burnt malts, plus a spicy bit of fruity hops and alcohol. Devastatingly complex, extremely sweet and tasty - an incredibly delicious beer.

Mouthfeel: Thick, sticky, creamy, and mildly carbonated, but somehow, not too heavy.

Drinkability: This is an amazing beer. Share it.

soulgrowl, Sep 18, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Pours a very dark cola. Thin ring of head is it. Not much lacing, either.

S - Okay, this part is pretty amazing. Heavy vanilla, caramel and wood notes (Maybe I get wood as wood often imparts vanilla and caramel). One of the funnest smelling beers I have ever had, along with the whiskey shot called Imperial Brown Goose.

T - Taste follows smell to a degree. Creamy chocolate milk with vanilla and caramel.

M - Thinner than a would have thought. Carb is a little under average, coating not as complete. Lighter than expected.

D - While a really fun cool beer, it would get pretty unappealing after a night of it.

srandycarter, Sep 18, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -13.1%

A-Body is a dark brown almost black color. Pours with a small creamy toffee colored head that eventually subsides to a thick collar and retains well from there. When held up to the light red hues can be seen shining through.

S-This has to be the most potent smell I have ever found in a beer. Smell is very sweet and dominated by toffee, caramel, and cream.

T-Upfront is a bit of roasted malt and a toffee sweetness. A big blast of sweet caramel and toffee come through for the finish along with a strange creamy flavor and a bit of alcohol astringency. Left to linger is a big roasted malt bitterness and some sweetness. The taste is interesting and novel but is borderline cloying.

M- Medium carbonation and a big, thick, chewy mouthfeel.

D-This beer has a potent smell, very thick mouthfeel, and an off the wall taste. All of which are decent...but let me explain my drinkability score...Well I bought this beer before I tried it on tap...and trying it on tap made me wait a lot longer to open it up. Its not bad its just way too much (esp a 22oz bottle). Its hard to finish a pint of this let alone the whole 22oz. It's my dad's b-day and I let him pick something from my stout/porter collection and this is what he chose (he loved it...it's one of his favorites). Not my favorite ST brew...I would much rather have Uber Sun...and I found Creme Brulee out this summer NOT Uber Sun.

PittBeerGirl, Sep 17, 2008
1.9/5  rDev -51.2%

Thanks for the trade! This review is not indicative of my gratitude.

What the ding dang doo is up with this beer? Pours a weird dark brown toffee color with almost no head. Very good aroma. Laden with coffee, tons of vanilla, and a bit of roasted butterscotchiness.

The taste is nothing whatsoever like the smell. Not even close. There's a horrible chemical-y butter/cream sweetness, and the vanilla, which is so intoxicating to the nose, is cloying. There is something very, very wrong with this beer's flavor. Like vanilla extract gone alcohol.

Thin mouthfeel. Couldn't finish the bottle. If you look at my scores, you'll see how schizophrenic I found this drinking experience.

Overlord, Sep 16, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Finall caved and bought a bomber of this stuff. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours deep black with dark brown highlights on the edges. Even a rather vigorous pour yeilds only a half inch of mocha colored head that fades rather quickly into a thin thin ring around the glass.

S: This is unbelieve able, the absolsute definition of what an exteme beer is supposed to be. Just an ungodly punch in the face of sweet vanilla ice cream, caramel, coffee and wholo milk, and milk chocolate. Just about the sweetest, richest beer smell there ever was and ever will be. Creme soda smells less like creme than this beer does. Just something to behold.

T/MF: Taste and feel is a bit different than the intial smell. Where the nose relies on vanilla and sugar to get its point across, the taste has much more of a milky, chocolate and caramel coffee character. Little bit of tabcoo and slight earthy hop kick on the back end but this beer is mostly smooth sailing thoughout. Feels like velvet on the tongue, yet at the same time feels just the slightest bit thin in places. Closes smooth and leaves a strong, lingering sweetness on the tongue that just lasts and lasts.

D: Too big to be taken on alone and too sweet to truly enjoy a 10 or 12oz pour, this beer certainly tastes amazing and there are probably few around like it, still does not change the fact that this beer may be too big for its own good.

bluemoonswoon, Sep 16, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

High rating as this is what it is. Creme Brulee in a bottle. Sweet, tons of rich carmel sugar and vanilla. Take hold of the palate and lingers for hours. Mission accomplished. Score reflects the essence of what they were trying to do. 22oz bomber can easily serve 10 people. And everyone will want to pour it over ice cream, this is for sure an after dinner brew.

paytoplay, Sep 16, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

22 oz. bomber bottle with a plastic label of three different kinds of cows. The closest one is the common milk cow, the farthest one back is a long horn, and I'm not too sure what the other one in the middle is. To the left of the cows is the Government warning and too the right is the usual wealth of information that Soutern Tier dishes out. This information includes the ABV%, plato, what kind of malts, kettle hops, aroma hops, proper serving temperature, proper glassware, and a novel sized paragraph. This long paragraph talks about how this is a dessert beer and a brief history of the creme brulee. It's mostly just gibberish. Again, like every other Southern Tier bottle, the only information missing is some kind of bottle code or bottled date.

Appearance: Southern Tier suggested I use a Snifter, so I poured this beer into a Corsendonk Snifter. I knew a Stout was going to be black, but I didn't think this beer was going to be this black! I held it up into the light to see if light could penetrate this beer's solid black color and it couldn't. The head of was almost as impressive as the color itself. This head of foam was light mocha color and about 3/4 of an inch in height. This mocha foam had really good retention that left behind foamy mocha rings and only a handful spots of lace around the glass. Great color and great head of foam!

Smell: Wow! What an aroma this beer had! I could smell this beer as soon as I popped the cap. The aroma was so heavy on the vanilla beans and the sugar that it instantly reminded me of a candy store with an ice cream parlor attached to it. There was that and it smelled exactly like creme brulee right down to the smallest detail. It was great sweet smelling beer, but there wasn't any kind of beer smell in it. No malts, hops, or even chocolate hiding in this aroma. It was all about the vanilla beans and the sweet sugar.

Taste: I didn't think that you could take a delicious well made creme brulee and transform it into a Stout beer. That never crossed my mind until I took a sip of this sweet beer. If you've ever had a creme brulee before, then imagine drinking one. Not only does it smell like one, but it taste like it too. But unlike the aroma, the taste had a little bit more "beer flavor" to it. Hiding behind all the vanilla beans and sweet sugar was a small touch of dark roasted malts and a quick splash of roasted hops. Then after the hops leave, the taste goes right back on track with all the sugar and vanilla beans. The vanilla beans are aggressive, but in the end it's a great sweet tasting beer.

Mouthfeel: Even though this beer was dark, sweet, and contained a high 10% ABV, I thought that this beer was more of a medium bodied beer than being a full bodied beer. The aftertaste was slightly dry, but very sweet with more vanilla beans, sweet sugar, and a subtle touch of dry roasted malts. This beer totally masks the 10% ABV. If there was any sign of the 10% ABV, then the vanilla beans and sugar would have covered it up anyway.

Drinkability: I didn't think this beer would taste like creme brulee at all. I thought it would just be a dark roasted beer with a hint of vanilla added to it. Boy was I wrong about that! Since this was such a sweet dessert beer, it should really only be drank once in a great while. If it isn't, then you must have quite the sweet tooth. This is a very creative original idea for a beer. I would like to thank Southern Tier for having the balls for brewing and distributing a beer like this to the public.

AltBock, Sep 14, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours a good initial 3/4 finger head with decent retention and a nice dark brown color.

Smell is of caramel. Not caramel malts, but straight up caramel, like a caramel candy. Underneath are notes of cream and chocolate, but only if you really pay attention, because the most awesome smell is of caramel. It even masks the vanilla. But I love it and I can smell it from a mile away.

This is one of the most interesting beers I've ever had. Upfront there is a bit of caramel sweetness with an undertone of vanilla. The vanilla really creeps into the nose on the swallow. This is followed by incredible smooth milky and chocolateyness that makes the beer incredibly smooth. Hop bitterness helps to balance the beer out, but I'd like it to be a tiny but tamer. EDIT: at first I have this complaint, but the complaint is quieted as the beer warms up.

The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth and creamy and this is one of the most interesting beers that I've ever had. I could drink it for a long time. For some the caramel might be too much after a while though. I don't really notice the 10% abv all that much.

Thanks to seanpachfddfa, or however you spell his crazy screen name, for the sample

jasonjlewis, Sep 14, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

Wow, what an incredible beer! Of course I got robbed for it... $7 for 10 oz. glass at the Diamond in Brooklyn. I could have just bought a bottle, but in the end I guess it was worth it. Oh, and the bartender refused to give me a sample first, she said that would cost $2!!! But I digress. The 10 ounce glass was probably just the right serving, as it is sweet and any more would have been just a touch too much. It's really a dessert beer, although I enjoyed it right at the bar none the less. Massive amounts of vanilla, caramel, and sweetish, cocoa-accented malts are found in the nose. It actually kind of smells like cake! And that carries over into the flavor. Vanilla. Caramel. Cocoa. Sugar. Butter. Chocolate. And just an edge of roastiness underneath. It's sweet but it somehow manages to keep from becoming cloying, and that's at least due in part to the roasted malts. Remarkably smooth. Creamy. Utterly (pun intended) remarkable. That said, this is a very special beer, and would be perfect for special occassions. Valentines day. Christmas. And it makes an undeniable eye-opener for women who "don't like beer". Oh, and I wonder how this would be alongside Lindemann's Framboise - or even mixed together? I am definitely going to buy more of this!

NeroFiddled, Sep 13, 2008
2.55/5  rDev -34.4%

As my sister in law's interest in craft beer grows by association....I was gently prodded to pick one of these up for a sampling. Split 3 ways with my swill loving brother & his open minded wife.

A ~ Black coffee colored with a creamy, tan 1 finger head. Sticky lace left a soapy film on the glass.

S ~ Without question the BEST part of this beer. You could smell this throughout the room as soon as it was opened. "OOOH ~ Lemme smell, lemme smell"
* (About now a little voice is telling me to remember this is beer!)
It smells like SWEET dessert. Vanilla pudding, butterscotch, caramel, sweet baked goods, cotton candy & English toffee. As the beer warmed it had a warm boozy, almost Brandy smell to it.

T ~ Unbalanced & over done at best. Waaaay too sweet on the front. For the most part, the mouth follows the nose here. Burnt sugar, toffee, vanilla, butter cream & hints of coffee & milk chocolate. I did think I noticed a hint of roasty malt ~ but not enough to focus on. A little bitter on the finish. Breathing in over the glass is boozy & aromatic.

M ~ Full bodied. Deceptive carbonation. Slick, slippery mouthfeel with a lingering bitter after taste. Sticky & oily. Warm swallow reminds you that its alcohol. Sweet, cloying film on my lips and a hot tip of the tongue.

D ~ Overall I'd have to say I was disappointed.
Hard to finish. This is a sipper IF you're liking it (BIG IF) ~ an unusual, albeit failed attempt at an Imperial Stout IMO. A novelty that should be filed & listed as one. Definitely a one timer. ....no matter what you pair it with ~ ice cream, chocolate, vanilla pudding, maybe even Creme Brulee. Someone said "You can put lipstick on a pig...it's STILL a pig!" This aint beer to me.

TATTORSO, Sep 13, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

22 oz brown bomber poured into a pint glass, the beer is jet black with a tan head and very good lacing.

The aroma is of caramel, vanilla, roasted malts, coffee with a hint of bakers chocolate. I really liked they way this one smelled.

While tasty, the beer did not live up to that great aroma. It is sweet with lots of roasted malts. There is caramel, molasses, & butterscotch. Big hit of vanilla on the 2nd sip. I'm kind of surprised the heavy roast of the malts didn't tamper out the sweetness a bit. As the beer warmed, a bit of coffee and chocolate emerged.

The mouth is smooth and silky. The sweetness would make this an occasional treat for me. Well worth trying, would be a good desert beer to split.

Redrover, Sep 11, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours pitch black like Guinness. Smells extremely strong of caramel and a hint of mint (I'm thinking of mint chocolate chip ice cream). Overwhelmingly sweet smelling - smells like a schnapps. Taste's ok - but too sweet and unbalanced. Too much caramel flavoring. The mouthful is extremely full, silky, and almost chewable. The drinkability, due to the overwhelming sweetness, is low.

My wife and I split a bomber and neither of us was very interested in finishing our glasses. I've gotten about 2oz in while writing this and don't have much desire to finish my glass, but pouring out $4 worth of beer is disheartening.

Southern Tier is one of my favorite brewers and milk stouts are my favorite beers, but this beer just isn't for me. I'm glad I bought it, but will give the other bomber away to a beer-buddy and won't buy it again. If you try it, I'd suggest pairing it with vanilla or coffee ice cream to subdue the flavor a bit.

msolar, Sep 10, 2008
2.33/5  rDev -40.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber bottle into a snifter.

Appears a nearly opague pitch black, I say nearly as some red highlights are visible when held up to some light. One inch tan head bubbles up through the muck then settles down to a thin skim. Some spotty lacing.

Aroma is screaming butterscotch candy in my face. Not much else beneath that aside from some subtle vanilla. A bit too one-sided and I don't like butterscotch at all. I'm wondering if I might even be able to choke this down.

Taste is not quite as bad as I thought it might be based on the aroma. This stuff is just way too sweet and butterscotchy. There is only the slightest hint of roasty flavor, and even then it's more like milk chocolate, and it only come out after the swallow, but are still ends up dominated by the sweet butterscotch flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium-full and smooth.

Unless you are looking for an extremely sweet beer that tastes like butterscotch candy with a hint of milk chocolate, I would avoid this stuff. Not even close to what I was expecting. I really tried, but just couldn't finish the bomber. One of the few drain pours I've had. I'm gonna have to drink another beer to get the taste out of my mouth.

roadhouse, Sep 09, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -19%

Pretty black eh? off-white/ tan head doesn't last. Freaky aroma of flavored coffee creamer, cheese cake, vanilla pudding etc. etc. tantalizing one moment, artificial the next. The flavor is similar, but a little vanilla pipe tobacco as well. Full body with a little bitterness on the finish - perhaps from hops or roasted malts. Pretty sweet too. I can see people going ape-shit over this, and I could even get excited if it was the finishing touch to Thanksgiving dinner (this stuff comes out at the wrong time of year) provided I only had an eight ounce glass, but this is a bit much. Kinda in that category with their pumking - amazing briefly, but totally unsustainable.

dedrinker, Sep 08, 2008
2.33/5  rDev -40.1%

Let me preface this by saying I don't often review, despite drinking a lot of beer. I do feel it necessary to review this brew due to my sheer dissapointment.

I have been looking forward to this beer for some time (favorite dessert+beer=heaven?)

It pours a beautiful dark dark brown/black color with great head and good lacing.

The smell was exactly what I was looking for in this beer, vanilla and caramel.

Unfortunately the taste and drinkability are pretty inexcusable in my opinion. It is an unbelievably sweet beer, which also has some hoppy bitterness to it. Unfortunately the bitterness doesn't really balance the sweetness as much as confuse the senses. This beer has a bit of an identity crisis I suppose (I know, I should have seen it coming). The sweetness gave this simply no drinkability, I had to drain pour the majority of this brew. A sad day for stouts.

Having said that. I still commend Southern Tier for trying something different. It was certainly...different.

ljette, Sep 08, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours black with a tan head that thins and stays, leaving lacing. Great retention for abv.

The smell is of creme brulee. Incredible how they replicated it - custard and vanilla very strong - It's not "like" or "reminiscent of" it IS...

Tastes like a creme brulee too, though there is a roasted and bitterish undertone to let you know that this is a beer with creme brulee flavor. There is a touch of roast - some burnt sugar - and bitterness to keep it sweet enough, but not sticky or cloying. Chocolate notes appear as it progresses, adding to the complexity.

It has a rich, full, creamy body.

Incredible how they did this - a creme brulee beer, for sure. An awesome dessert beer. They replicated a creme brulee while keeping balance to the sweetness. Alcohol covered reasonably well. A nice, smooth, sipper!

jwc215, Sep 08, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is a brew I did not like from my first sample on tap. However I did buy the bottle beforehand and it seems to have grown on me.

A_Pours a very dark black, almost opague. Only the smallest ammount of light can pass through the liquid. The rich tan head manages to keep its shape for a relatively long time with sheets of lace covering the glass.

S_A potent aroma for this one here. Mostly a sweet sticky butterscotch/cream aroma with hints of vanilla and roasted malt. Not quite like the dessert but close.

T_The inital sip is pure sweetness, this is followed by a semi-intense bitterness from the deep roasted malt. The finish is sweet again with cream and milk coming to the forefront. The lacotse is really noticed here. The aftertaste leaves a faint bit of vanilla and charred sugar. Surprisingly very little alcohol comes through despite the %

M_On the thicker side without being too dense with a light airy carbonation which works well to cut through everything here.

D_While the smell is more like butterscotch, the actual taste is fairly reminscent of the namesake dessert. The charred malt really works well as it mimics the fire glazed sugar and the lactose creates a creamy richness. This is not a beer you can have more than one of but it is tasty and they really got what they were going for here. Share a bomber or get this one on tap because the full 22oz would get cloying fast.

sleazo, Sep 08, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

10 oz pour into a goblet

a- small whitish head over a dark dark brown body, excellent lacing for the abv.

s- creme brulee...i may be a bit biased toward this luscious dessert, but this beer replicates the smell with perfection, burnt caramel, soft vanilla undertones with just a hint of alcohol rounded out its perfect nose.

t- again, dessert on tap, just enough bitter chocolate to round out the sweet caramel and vanilla flavor. as the beer warmed, the taste only improved. it was hard for me to drink this beer as slowly as the quality and abv require.

m- just enough coating for a smooth finish, the alcohol is well hidden, yet peaks through in the begining and end of the taste, washing away excessive sweetness.

d- a 4 is as high as i can go with this brew only because of the heaviness and alcohol content. this is not a binge session college-friendly beer, all the more reason to appreciate such a wonderful example.

I reccomend this beer highly, pass on dessert and order a Creme Brulee stout. Excellent job by Southern Tier.

grayburn, Sep 07, 2008
4.95/5  rDev +27.2%

Reviewed from notes. Tasted 9/4/08

This beer poured a dark coca cola colored body with small off-white head.

Nose. OH MY MOTHER FUCKING GOD!!! Creme Brulee. It smells like candy straight from a candy factory in heaven. Burnt sugar, caramel, candy, vanilla ice cream, vanilla milk shake, pure 100% from the finest french chef in the world creme brulee.

Taste is full bodied and along the exact same lines as the nose. Creamy caramel, milky vanilla ice cream, silky milk shake. Creme Brulee!!!! It tastes like liquid creme brulee. Holy shit. Absolutely no hint whatsoever of the 10% ABV. This is a dangerous beer. Little hints of chocolate, vanilla and other grains, but.... creme brulee. It tastes like liquid creme brulee, did I mention that?

Wow!!!. Southern Tier has raised the bar. I thought Choklat was the be all end of all, but this.... this is heaven in a bottle. Simply amazing.

taez555, Sep 07, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -10%

Big thanks to stevemcqueenjr for the opportunity to try this unique beer. This beer pours black in color and has a short white head that disappears quickly and leaves some nice lacing on the glass. The smell is overwhelming and can be smelled across the room. The mouth feel is thick and creamy. The taste is very sweet and is about the same as the taste. Overall this was certainly worth a try for something different. Glad I split this one with a friend.

johnd513, Sep 06, 2008
2.45/5  rDev -37%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 1pt. 6oz. or 650ml bottle in to a snifter.

Appearance: A big, thick and foamy head sits on top of a very dark brown and opaque body. Its head is dark tan in color and it slowly fades to just a very thin covering. Lacing is rather sparse and slick as it slides down the sides of the glass.

Smell: The aroma is strong and noticeable as soon as the bottle is opened. The big bold sweetness of caramel and vanilla bean hits the nose. Under that there is a hint of roasted malt and sweet boozy alcohol like butterscotch schnapps.

Taste/Mouth feel: The flavor is overwhelmingly sweet!!! A thick, heavy caramel flavor dominates the over some creamy vanilla notes as well as a hint of dark powdery chocolate. Hop flavor is well hidden with just a slight bitterness sliding in near the finish. Also there is a mild warming from its 10% abv. The body is heavy and full with a syrupy slick, sticky texture. Its carbonation was mild which added to the slickness.

Notes: Its thick sticky body and its unchecked, unbalanced sweetness made for a very slow sipping beverage. It's not exactly my cup of tea but cheers to Southern Tier for pushing the boundary with a very interesting beer.

generallee, Sep 06, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -24.2%

Bottle from d0b. Thanks!
<BR>
Dear christ, this was a sweet beer. Smell was like butterscotch and Kraft caramel squares. Just like Choklat, this was very, very artificial smelling. Reminded me of Worthers butterscotch candies as well. Nobody in their right mind could drink more than a few ounces of this melted candy disguised as a beer. Very milk, and vanilla like with some light hops that quiver at the onslaught of malt warriors overtaking their feeble vines. They fight valiantly, but the Maltacians rape and pillage their weak cones leaving them tattered, vulnerable and succeptible to disease. The hops are crying and the malts continue to shower them with more sugar bombs, oblivious to their screams. NOOOO!!!! I literally saw a hop cone beheaded by a caramel square that jumped out of this beer with a maltsword. Very artificial and gimmicky and tastes more like melted caramel and vanilla extract that creme brulee. Cloying in the smell alone. What the fuck is going on here?!?!? AHHHH, stop raping my mouth!!! but I sort of liked it in an "I was abused by my parents as a child and now like really creepy men to touch me in innapropriate places" sort of way.

JDV, Sep 06, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +26%

Deepest of brown that casts black in most light and has one very nice capping of medium tanned frothy foam. Huge cob webbed lacing is stretched across the glass by the ton! One gorgeous looking glass of dark nectar.

Wow, what a huge aroma of French vanilla creamer with a large creamy coffee sense, hazelnut, caramel, and hints to some heat underneath. Its nice if ya like getting a slap in the face with vanilla creamer.

Taste is mostly vanilla, caramel, and hazelnut creamer with a slight coffee roast and milky chocolate. It tastes more like a Frappichnno then any beer. Pretty crazy stuff! Spiked iced coffee anyone! Yummy!

The body is creamy, no surprise there, milky, silky, nearly full in a few spots and definately filling as it goes. Has a big middle tinge of flavor and body with tangy rich vanilla torched with slight coffee roast, chocolate, both white and milk, then concerts some fluffy dryness with a warming tint as it finishes with left over creamy caramel, vanilla, and hazelnut hints. Delish!

Like I said...this is totally like some spiked iced coffee drink if there ever was one. Personally, I think this stuff rocked as I could drink those Starbucks Frappacchino things all day until wired with caffine. So goes with this, only I'd be wasted...But as a beer this was slightly, or I should say very slightly missing a partial dark fruity tang or addition to it that I think would've totally made this even more unwholey wowable! The 10% is concievable but hardly makes any real break through. As is though...WOW! Me likey and will want more!

tavernjef, Sep 06, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

On-tap 9/4/08 at Doherty's East Ave Irish Pub, in Pawtucket, RI, served in a snifter glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of strong creamy chocolate and vanilla along with roasted malts.

T: The taste is very malty and sweet up front as you would expect from an "imperial milk stout" with strong milky flavors of chocolate and vanilla. There's a mild but complimentary hops presence that brings some balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, heavy body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is sticky.

D: Tasty and flavorful, goes down dangerously easily, slightly filling, deceptively strong kick, very good representation of style, since this beer is so heavy, it's a good sipper to sit down and relax with and also works well as a desert beer.

TheManiacalOne, Sep 05, 2008