Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
3.58/5  rDev -8%

Poured the bomber into my Short's Imperial pint glass.

A: Black with a hint of light brown. Poured almost two fingers of frothy, milk chocolate brown head, that retained well, but left little lace.

A: Wow this one's sweet. Vanilla, chocolate, butterscotch, and marshmellow. Caramel malts, and some very subtle earthy hops, and I stress very little.

T: Sugary sweet. The vanilla and butterscotch are over the top. This is for sure a dessert beer. A little espresso flavor finishes it off.

M&D: Little carbonation and a full body, make for a viscous brew. Drinkability is very limited due to the sweetness, number one, but the ABV at 10% doesn't help. Overall, good for an after dinner drink, but way too sweet for my taste. But still a very interesting brew. Skal.

Gtreid, Aug 09, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. 08/08/08.

Pours thick and dark black. A thin layer of tan head is produced. It leaves slight lacing around the glass. As soon as I popped the cap I could smell the sweet goodness of this beer. Vanilla, caramel, chocolate, butterscotch, and all other good sugary things. It smells so wonderful.

Taste is sweet, sweet vanilla. Lots of caramel and butterscotch as well. Plenty of chocolate and a hint of coffee in the finish. Tastes pretty sweet, but not overdone. The flavor doesn't pack as much of a punch as the aroma, but it's still quite impressive.

Feel is thick and syrupy. Just enough carbonation to keep it from getting too heavy. Leaves an aftertaste that lasts forever. The alcohol is very well hidden. Drinkability is the low point of this beer for me. It's a bit too much for just one person. I'd recommend splitting with friends.

Very interesting idea for a beer. Definitely a dessert beer, and one that should be shared.

bkilpatr, Aug 09, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +20.3%

I bought this in a 22oz. bottle. I could not wait to get it home.

I poured it into a frosted mug and the aroma enchanted my nose as it poured a thick brown with a lite brown head. Man, my mouth was watering. This absolutely reminded me of the dessert. Chocolate and caramel mixed with a little spiciness. The taste was heavenly. Smooth and sweet with a nice bitter coffee finish. This was a heavy beer. i don't think I could drink all 22 ounces by myself. Definately a beer to share with a friend or two.

Overall, I would drink this one again and again.

Southern Tier hit another grand-slam!

Cheers!

DJRoswell, Aug 09, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Picked this one up in a trade recently. I had been dying to try it as I had heard some mixed things regarding it. Needless to say I just had to get it. Twenty two ounce bomber that was served at cellar temp and poured into an oversized wine glass.

One of the best pours I have seen in a long time. Rich dark brown, essentially opaque with a huge head of off white foam that reached a height of three inches before finally deciding to come down to around two inches and leave it at that. Huge amounts of side glass lacing just ringing the inside of the glass and thoroughly coating everything that was in sight.

The aroma was just insane. I am not even sure what to make of this one here. Rich and bitter vanilla flavor. A touch of light alcohol, but this was very well hidden. Huge aroma here, my wife complained later in the night she could smell it an hour after the bottle was empty. This was the thickest, most bitter vanilla smell you could imagine. The flavor was more of the same. Now I have heard mixed reviews about this and I can really see why. You have to take it for what it is. This is a dessert beer, this bottle should be shared with like four people as by itself, this is way too much for one person. I was really struggling towards the end, as the flavor was soo insanely sweet, maple sugar, vanilla, molasses, hints of caramel, I mean if it was a kind of sugar it was dumped in this in great quantity. There was a smooth, delicate feel on this with more then adequate carbonation making up the majority of the body. But still, even the aftertaste hung with you for what seemed like a day and a half. A sipper for sure, but something that needs to be shared.

Overall not bad at all, not the best thing, but for what the style is, this was actually pretty damn good. It looked and smelled fantastic, it was just the overall volume of this bottle was a bit much for me. Something akin to a KRE would be much better for this as it is needs to be sampled in limited amounts. A must try though for the novelty of it.

mikesgroove, Aug 08, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours a very dark brown/oily black with 1 pinky of thin burnt orange head, very little retention but some good lacing. Smells just like creme brulee with notes of butterscotch, caramel, vanilla, and cream as well as some flavors of roasted malt and a touch of alcohol. Taste is sweet from the start of caramel and butterscotch followed by vanilla, lightly roasted malt, chocolate, lactose, and a touch of alcohol. Medium full in body with nice carbonation. Creamy and smooth, sweet with some roastiness and enough alcohol to remind you it is in fact Imperial. An excellent dessert beer and another winner from Southern Tier.

HopDerek, Aug 07, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

I served this one slightly chilled. Definitely much warmer than the recommended 42 degrees.

Pours out very dark, but not quite as opaque as other double stouts. Ruby hues show when held to the light, and it's actually rather transparent towards the end of the glass. The head is beige and leaves full lacing to start and a partial coat on top.

The smell of the dessert wafts from the just-opened bottle. This is a fragrant beer! Vanilla, caramel, custard, butterscotch, a slight sourness.

What a delicious package this is. Sweet and lush vanilla, followed by milky caramel, with a butterscotch finish that adds a mild bitterness. Souther Tier hit the bullseye with this one (and it actually tastes a lot like that particular candy). I can't remember a beer where the caramel flavor tasted so removed from the roasted malt. It's pure creamy caramel initially, but the back end packs some roastiness. It almost reminds me of the espresso kick in a latte. Hopping is really subtle here, like with Choklat, but maybe even less evident. The light sourness works here too. I can't believe this is 10% abv.

Mouthfeel is chewy and filling. Maybe I can't help but take a huge swig every time. It's fluffy rather than creamy. Lightly carbonated.

Great. I would revisit this one every year. It does not drink like a 10% beer to me at all. It goes down easier than a lot of regular stouts. I'm sure the alcohol will sneak up on me, because I downed this fast. Yeah, it's really sweet, but I don't mind. I know some couldn't handle more than a snifter of this, but I really didn't have trouble with a bomber whatsoever. Well, the last 4-6 ounces were a little work. I was tempted to pour some over a bowl of ice cream, but didn't want diabetes. I hope I'm not annihilated by the sugar low later on. Nonetheless, this brewery continues to do great work.

ommegoose, Aug 07, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -32.4%

Appearance: Pours a near-black color, more dark brown, with slight translucency when held to light. Head retention isn't great, but we're talking 10% beer here.

Smell: Intensely aromatic - I could smell this one as soon as I uncapped it. Surprisingly, this does smell like creme brulee - it's got the burnt sugar, cream, butterscotch and vanilla you'd expect. This doesn't so much smell like beer as it smells like dessert. I don't necessarily mean that in a good way.

Taste & mouthfeel: The taste has all the creme brulee character of the nose, along with - thankfully - a bit more actual beer flavor. Bitter roasted malt flavors lend a necessary balance to the sweetness, which is still very much at the forefront here. The finish is bittersweet, bitter eventually prevailing, leaving a lingering coffee note on the palate.

Notes: Got this one from Dyan - thanks dogg. This is fun stuff, but I recommend sharing; a couple ounces is plenty. On a side note, this would make one seriously decadent beer float with a scoop of vanilla icecream.

largadeer, Aug 07, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +8%

It pours an inky, opaque black that grabs light and hurls it inward, never to escape. Except, that is, for the finest band of mahogany at the most outer edges. A single finger of light tan head is rapid in its re-deployment elsewhere. Wisps of lacing flutter along the inside of the glass.

The aroma is nothing short of a creamy, rich explosion, notably sweet with molasses, candy sugar, maple syrup, and earthen with dark coffee and lactic bite. Still, the biggest wave of the blast is reserved for the mountainous swell of vanilla that tamps down what should be a more obvious wedge of alcohol.

Upon sipping, warily and anxiously, the sweetness is like a sugary broadside from a confectionary warship, firing away with balls of milky custard, toffee, sweet coffee, and singed sugar. Ah, but it's the vanilla that rumbles forth from the beer's Guns of Navarrone, laying waste to all that comes before it, even more so here than in the aroma. And yet, the alcohol is decidedly more poignant and warm here, resisting any real cloaking efforts from other agents. A very slight bitterness comes forth near the close, teasing with a tinge of crispness, no doubt from the roasted malt and burnt sugar, but then the sweetness dominates once again, leaving slowly through a lingering and very cloying finish. This pretty much defines "dessert beer," and in a very good way.

Full bodied, it's incredibly round and creamy, sliding in slow motion like heavy buttermilk across the palate.

I would imagine many will love this, and many will hate it. If you don't want sweetness, you'll likely abhor it. I, on the other hand, while an inveterate hophead, am a soul with a dag-nasty sweet-tooth, and this will capably cater to the most intense sugar Jones. I shared the bottle and still found it hard to finish my share, but that's because of the huge body and enamel-rotting sugar content, as opposed to any real faults. Simply, in the right context, this is nicely drinkable and enjoyable. I'm envisioning actually trying it with its namesake dessert. So, no matter, love it or hate it, I can think of no reason someone would not at least want to try it. I did, and am quite happy I've recovered from the resulting diabetic coma.

Foxman, Aug 06, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Had this on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD.

The beer poured a dark amber with a thin brown head into a chalice. The smell was of butterscotch, with a hint of vanilla. The taste was a big hit of butterscotch and vanilla, plenty of malt sweetness, with a creamy mouthfeel and slightly bitter finish. Not a bad approximation of a Creme Brulle in a glass. The alcohol content is masked quite nicely as well, making this a deceptively potent beer.

pershan, Aug 06, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +1%

Poured a 22oz bottle into my Smokestack goblet. This beer pours a slightly opaque brown with just a slight kiss of a beige head, which quickly dissipates into a rim around the outside of the glass. The aroma is this beer is huge. I could smell it living room when I was in my kitchen. I think that this beer has the strongest aroma of any beer I have ever drunk to this point. The aroma is really just like crème brulee. Vanilla is overwhelming. Subtle hints of toffee, custard and a bit of heat from the alcohol. The taste is vanilla custard. Sweet lacto, coffee and a hint of caramelized sugars comes through on the tail of the beer. I found it really interesting that they got the caramelized sugar aspect of crème brulee to come across in the finish of the beer. The mouthfeel is a bit thin and honestly, astringent. The alcohol really comes through on the palette. This is a good beer, but one to be enjoyed on a cold night, in front of a fire when desert is in order. It really needs the right circumstances to be outstanding.

hwwty4, Aug 06, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter

A-Pours near pitch black with a red tint not a real big yet but it stays with the beer well no real lacing

S-Vinilla comes through very big, maple, custard sweet cofee with sugar with small notes of malt.

T&M-Bitter vinilla in the front as well as bitter chocolate, coffee and cinnimon notes in the middle. Very smooth and complex with a warming feeling in the finish, stlye in mind i give it very high marks as it delivers on all the general stout qualities while delevering something completely new and diffrent.

D-Not something i would even want to drink all the time although i would love to have it around, because when the mood struck i don't think anything could replace the want for this one.

SpecialK088, Aug 06, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

poured into a dokel
C: not completely opaque but dark brown, with almost no head.
S: sweetness is key to a milk stout and this one hots it right on the nose. this smells exactly like a creme brulee. a strong vanilla and little malt in the background.
T: a little bitterness comes through in the begining but becomes smooth and creamy towards the end.
M: I think if this was a bit less carbonated it would be even more enjoyable.
D: definitely a sipper, but I would enjoy a glass with a nice chocolatey dessert.

naterock, Aug 06, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -19%

A-Pours a deep black with just a little bit of thin white head. Very appealing.

S-Strong scent of vanilla sweetness with some booziness behind. Intriguing.

T-And the taste is intriguing at first too. Not much like beer at all, but an interesting adventure. Nice strong vanilla with a bit of alcohol. But the sweetness quickly becomes cloying and over the top. My wife and I can split a snifter of it but that's all.

M-Creamy and rich.

D-See above. Can't finish one.

I am a big fan of ST big beers, and efforts of brewers to do interesting and new things. This did not work for me though.

HV

sholland119, Aug 05, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -13.9%

A: Very deep brown, basically becoming black. A lighter, offwhite head puffs up like a puffy marshmallow.

S: Heavy aroma - butterscotch takes it, followed by vanilla extract, with lactose notes like heavy cream (actually rather similar to a vanilla coffee creamer), and a touch of malt roast.

T: Very sweet, and maybe a little too much so. Butterscotch again, vanilla, a bit hot with alcohol, and something medicinal (like... cherry cough syrup???) starts to poke through as it warms.

M: A rich and creamy body, with a shimmering carbonation that works nicely with it.

D: A little on the fence. A small serving would likely go over just fine - but likely nothing much over a 10 oz. snifter of it, at most. It starts off great - scent is appealing (in a candy craving sort of way, I suppose), the flavour starts off quite nice, and body is good. As the end of the glass nears, it becomes more cloying, the flavours overwhelm the palate a bit, and the novelty starts to fade. Well worth the try, and perhaps a good candidate to share with company who like such things, but not one I can easily finish 22 oz. of.

Proteus93, Aug 05, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a very dark brown with a fizzy and bubbly soda-like head that quickly fizzes away to nothing. No lacing at all with a completely flat surface.

S: A very strong aroma of butterscotch and cheap vanilla capacchino. Slightly medicinal.

T: Sweet on the tongue with burnt roasted malt flavors. A strong sugary and vanilla taste makes this one quite similar to the taste of creme brulee. A slight hop bitterness in the finish gives it a bit of balance.

M: Full-bodied with moderate-high carbonation. Too fizzy for an imperial stout.

D: I am by no means a traditionalist when it comes to beer; I like fruit beers and brews that disregard the Reinheitsgebot. This one, however, has grown tiresome after just a few sips. Worth a try, but for me, not worth splurging on again.

klewis, Aug 05, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -17%

This beer is an absolute clone of creme brule, whenyou smell it!!! The nose is creme creme creme. The taste to too strong for the brule, which takes away from the nose of the beer. The sweetness of the caramel and vanilla is not a good match for the brew. The mouthfeel is a creme brule taste,the then the high alcohol content hits you like a lead balloon! I am stillmixed on this one, I am a fan of Southern Tier brews, I want to like it...

thequeen711, Aug 05, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +17.7%

First tried this at Sunset Grill in Allston, MA, Although my wife didn't care for it, my daughter and I thought it was a great desert beer. The color is deep waxy brown and the head is a beautiful dark froth. A 22 oz. bomber is just the right size to share with 3 to 4.
Joe

joeren, Aug 04, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +16.5%

The beer pours a deep dark black color with a 1/2" brown head that fades to lacing. The aroma is awesome. It has a kick ass caramel and vanilla scent. It smells like a fine after dinner snack. What a treat! The taste is good. It has a strong black and chocolate malt base along with lactose for sweetness and a very nice vanilla bean finish. This beer is outstanding; a real easy drinker. It's sweet, but I like it. The flavor is right on with the name. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. I can't say enough about this beer. Southern Tier has become a premiere brewering powerhouse. Everything they brew is top notch. A road trip is in the works.

WesWes, Aug 04, 2008
2.85/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Had on tap, needed to let it warm a bit.

A: A rich dark black. A very thin tan foam head, dissipates quickly.

S: Lots of vanilla, chocolate, cocoa, caramel and some hints of maple.

T: It is a very sweet. Lots of vanilla and chocolate. Definitely tastes like having a creme brule.

M: A thick creamy film is left on the tongue and mouth.

D: While you cannot taste the alochol, it is masked rather well, it does have a high ABV. It is extremely sweet, a decent dessert beer.

IronCitySteve, Aug 04, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -21.6%

Picked up a 22 oz bomber of this the other day. Creme brulee stout looked very interesting.

Appearance was jet black with a caramel head. No light came though when held up to the light. The initial smell was exceptionally strong with an overpowering vanilla and caramel taste. The taste was also strong. I think too strong and too sweet. As the beer is consumed the taste becomes too much to handle.

I could see drinking about 4 oz of this as a dessert. The 22 oz I tried to drink proved to be far too much.

icemonkey908, Aug 04, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

On tap at Frisco's in Columbia the other day.

The beer pours a very dark brown color with good head retention and lacing. The nose on this beer is it's best feature by far, consisting of an exotic smorgasbord of vanilla, caramel toffee, chocolate, cherry and coffee. The beer smells as if it will be pretty sweet, and it certainly is. The flavors on the palate generally replicate the nose, though the sweet vanilla and toffee flavors tend to overwhelm everything else. The beer is a bit heavy and tiring on the palate, and as it sits in the glass, the alcohol becomes more and more apparent. Towards the end the beer becomes cloyingly sweet, hot from the alcohol and very, very tiring. Drinkability is not one of this beers better features, and frankly I could barely finish my 10 ounce goblet.

This is an interesting beer, but the combination of sweet vanilla/toffee flavor, coupled with the noticeable alcohol, make this one beer I'm unlikely to order again any time again soon.

John_M, Aug 04, 2008

This beer is THE holy grail of all specialty beers. If you find one, buy it on spot. What does it smell like? Creme brulee. What does it taste like? Creme brulee. I cant believe that a beer like this was made, and made so unbelievably well, at 10% alcohol it still has NO alcohol taste, only sweet vanilla. You could open a creme brulee and it will make your house smell like you have a vanilla air freshener. The best beer Ive ever tasted, hands down. Great job to southern tier for the effort they put into this one.

lbkornlb14, Aug 04, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +12.6%

22oz bomber. Pours into my glass a deep charcoal black with a half inch of creamy light tan head on top. Aromas smack you in the face as you're pouring the beer. Big, sweet dark malts collide with massive vanilla and caramel aromas. Creamy with burnt sugar tones, almost candy-ish. Chocolate flows through as well. Smells like creme brulee! The aroma is bold, interesting and enticing.

First sip brings a sweet, creamy dark malt body upfront. Bold vanilla and caramel swirls move in and out. Burnt candi sugar flows into a rich creaminess. Chocolate notes are there. Finishes off with a candy like sweetness and a touch of bitterness. A bold blend of vanilla, caramel, lactose and chocolate. Creme brulee yuminess!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy with mellow carbonation. Goes down smooth. Quite rich overall and I'm glad I'm splitting the bomber with the girlfriend, even though I could see drinking it all myself. Another bold, crazy flavorful beer from Southern Tier. Ranks up there with Kuhnhenn's example.

orbitalr0x, Aug 03, 2008
4.95/5  rDev +27.2%

This beer pours an opaque black color. The head is small, tan, and recedes quickly into minimal lacing (but that is probably due to the vanilla). The aroma is very strong. Vanilla is everywhere, with cream, graham cracker, and hints of milk chocolate. The taste is as big as the aroma. The vanilla is a little tamer, but still prominent. There is more graham cracker, and milk chocolate. There is also the addition of a lingering roasted malt bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is full bodied with lively carbonation and a silky texture. Overall, this is one very fine beer. I can easily see myself enjoying this on a regular basis.

KarlHungus, Aug 03, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

L: Pours a jet black color with a medium sized and thick tan colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Very sweet smelling of syrupy creme brulee flavoring over a very thick and sweet malty body.
T: Very sweet taste of chocolate and the creme brulee flavoring that really overpowered this beer. I could taste a bit of the malts but not alot, this beer was mostly the creme brulee.
M: Very thick, smooth, and warming with the right amount of carbonation.
D: Pretty drinkable but probably no more than 1 or 2 because of its viscocity and how rich tasting it is. Very good dessert beer and I really like how Southern Tier delivers on bold flavors like this one. Definately worth a try.

erosier, Aug 03, 2008