Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
2.6/5  rDev -33.2%

It should be noted that Southern Tier doesn't lie. Pumking tastes like pumpkins, Choklat tastes of chocolate. And this sort of tastes like Creme Brulee, but it also tastes heavily of French vanilla creamer. That shit you have in the office that allows people to suffer through the coffee that they really don't like just to stay awake.

I don't need artificiality to mask my beer. And I don't want it. But I got it here. Now I have to figure out what to do with it.

It pours to a translucent dark brown than mimics black in most lights. The beige head is small and fleeting.
It noses purely of vanilla syrup. Small touches of dark breads, but the flavored syrup is king. I love the smell of vanilla, but not so much when it drowns out everything else in my beer.
Burnt caramel malt is lain across the tongue. Creme Brulee indeed. Then scads of powdered vanilla-tinged coffee. It's like a gas station French Vanilla Cappuccino...with extra vanilla creamer.
I'm a sucker for vanilla. But it simply suffocates every nuance of this beer. Even the 10% alcohol can't poke through it.
The medium full body lays a glassy canvas for all the vanilla to unfold upon. But the vanilla cloys and clots upon itself and fucks it all up.
Give me roast! Give me malt! Give me beer! Give me some semblance of stout, and then I might begin to appreciate the rampant and ridiculous about of vanilla.
Again, they've nailed the flavoring aspect, but utterly neglected the basic beer traits. Drinking a pint+ of International Delight seems roughly the same (cut with a small amount of coffee). And I'm not joking.

This might have itself some small moment as a after dinner or cigar beer, but 22ozs of this is lunacy.
Let's have some fucking beer already.

Poured this in to a snifter from a 22oz bottle. This pours a very deep black with a delicate pale head that dissipates quickly. Smelling this is all vanilla and caramel these are so strong that I really don't get anything else... but that is not bad. Taste is a very sweet rich creamy caramel and vanilla.. I was expecting the sweetness but this is far beyond what I anticipated, this would par well with pecan pie or enjoyed for desert. Drinkablity wise I really enjoyed it, but the sweetness of it made the one glass I had plenty.

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks cookin420 for this one. Large capped bottle poured into a snifter.

Very dark brown, reddish accents on the edges, minimal, short lasting tan head.
Very very sweet aromas; chocolate, vanilla beans, sweetened milk, honey.
Medium bodied, lacking a bit of smoothness for something so sweet; taste is not as sweet as the aroma, but quite close. Some warming alcohol is not enough to balance. You need 5-6 people to go through one bottle. Nice, but way too sweet.

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

22 oz bottle from halfP1NT.

Pours almost black, a touch of dark red showing through. Beautiful silky smooth brown head. Moderate retention, good lacing.

Aroma is initially milk and vanilla. Then the roast, alcohol, and a touch of vegatable hop smell comes through. Partly 5.0 and partly 2.0.

Flavor is sweet, vanilla, pretty bitter, somewhat roasty, and a touch of crystal malt. I have never really encountered a beer that had lactose in it in any noticeble dose. Now that I have, I think I like it. Alcohol is noticeable.

Body is medium, maybe even a tad on the light side. Didn't know what to make of it. Should it be heavy like an imperial stout or should it be thin like a milk stout? Nice in any event. Drinkable due to its nice flavors and wonderful aroma but the alcohol is something to watch out for.

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

I have been dying to try this stuff. I love sweets and the thought of a creme brulee beer is very enticing.

I pull this straight outta the fridge and pop the top. First smell is of sweet vanilla and boozy kahlua. Smells yummy but the alcohol is present. Thoughts of sambuca, jagermeister shoot through my cranium.

Pour into a snifter reveals a dark brown potion of respectable viscosity. High altitude glugs produce a shockingly feeble head. No retention, either.

A hefty whiff of the glass and the vanilla and sugar take center stage. I still smell that Jag and Kahlua.

Chocolate, malt, french vanilla coffee. Like the rich syrup in the centers of dark chocolate candies. Vanilla but pretty well balanced. The back end is more chocolaty. Its very sweet.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly spritzy. Good carbonation to complement the thickness and molasses qualities.

I like this stuff but the booziness is a little much for me. The sweetness is very nice, but it may affect the drinkability.

4.63/5  rDev +19%

22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Poured a very dark cola color with a thin carmel colored head that thined to the edges of the glass failry quickly for a stout. Had a very distinct vanilla-coffee-butter-carmel scent all inter-twining into a great aroma. Had a very smooth creamy taste with all the flavor that the scent presented in a very subtle but not to overpowering way. Noticed a slight tingle aftertaste but it was a very pleasant taste.

Took a while to get through all 22oz of this stout and throughout the tasting that flovors and scents seemed to go through different stages, possibily due to the warming from cellar to more room temperature. Had a stroner vanilla butter taste smell when cooler and turned more choclate carmel coffee upon warming, also had some very slight nutty tones mixed in. Was a very sweet taste throughout and left my lips very sticky.

Taste was a heavy body but not to heavy. The 10% ABV was masked very well by the flavor and aroma whihc made it very drinkable. By the end of the beer I was very full and really had trouble finishing the whole thing in one sitting. It sits much heavier on the stomach than the taste lead me to believe. A 22oz would be enough to serve 2 and maybe up to 4 people. Would be a excellent compliment to a desert or even served as a desert on it's own. Thinking I will try this with a slice of pumpkin pie next time!

Overall a very intersting beer that had a lot to present and offer and it didn't let me down. A bit too much to have as a regular drink but would be a perfect after dinner sipping beer to converse over.

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Was lucky enough to get this in a trade with my new beer buddy Dyan. Maryland to Alaska, quite the haul!

Appearance: Very dark, no light comes through this dark brew. No head when poured slowly, and no lacing that I could see.

Smell: This has a very sticky sweet smell. My wife said it reminded her of kahlua or a white russian, but it's easy to make the creme brulee connection. We both enjoyed the smell of this a lot, and savored that moment. Vanilla, sugar, and...well....creme brulee.

Taste: A previous reviewer mentioned the fear of it tasting like syrup and said it didn't. I would disagree a little bit...I felt for a moment like I was drinking a liquer instead of a stout. Wife says it tastes like a carbonated straight kahlua. I enjoyed the taste....brown sugar, vanilla, other very sweet tastes that are hard to pinpoint.

Mouthfeel: medium to minimal carbonation, rolls around smoothly in the mouth.

Drinkability: My wife had a sip and said that was nice, but enough for her. Given, she's not a dark beer fan. I am tending to agree...I will finish the 22oz bottle alone tonight since she doesn't want any more, but I would see this going over better in smaller doses. Very much a desert beer, would be good with some dark chocolate confection. It's a "short sips" beer for me.

3.2/5  rDev -17.7%

Appearance: A deep dark burgandy color with hardly any head and almost no lacing. Reminds me of a port.

Smell: When first lowering my nose near this beer I was hit with a wall of sweetness; carmel, dark brown sugar, maple, toffee, pecans...it reminds me of a the dessert and something else that I can't quite remember. I feel the need to start baking.

Taste: A nice balance of sweetness for a really sugary beer, but the sweetness is a bit much. From the smell I was afraid it was going to be like drinking syrup but it had a nice taste of vanilla, cloves, and brown sugar. I get hints of dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, creamy feel, slight carbonation.

Drinkability: Fairly easy to sip but not to drink. I wouldn't want to drink this often or too much, just about a shot full or a little more is more than plenty! Should be reserved for more special occasions than Monday night football. Prehaps Thanksgiving would have been more appropriate? I am satisfied after a small glass; its like a reward after working hard...perhaps I'll have to find numerous neighbors the bottle with since it is absolutely WAY too big for one person.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

A big thanks to tprokop7 for this one.
I'm eating some apple pie and splitting this with my wife.

A- Very dark, almost black. There is no head with this one. There is a slight ring of brown/tan bubbles around the edge of the glass.

S- Caramel!!! Lots of caramel, vanilla, brown sugar. There is also the strong smell of the 10% alcohol. In a way this reminds me of a Tortuga rum cake.

T- There is the sweetness of caramel and vanilla. Although I'm getting a strong coffee and roasted/burnt malt taste as well. Perhaps that is supposed to represent the burnt sugar on top of a Creme Brulee? One thing I'm finding is that the sweetness of the caramel lasts through the whole taste. Its going nice with the apple pie.

M- The mouth feel is good. It isn't too thick or too thin. Average feeling American Double IS.

D- This is strange to drink, it is sort of an outlander in terms of style. I think the burnt malt taste is right on with the style, but I reviewed this with the knowledge that for the #2 and #3 criteria, this beer is going to stray off the beaten path of this style of the beer. Over all it isn't too bad, but not blow your mind. It is tasty though. Something to sip on and drink on occasion.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

22oz bottle purchased as a single from Austin Liquors, Shrewsbury, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" light brown head over the barely translucent dark brown brew. Head recedes slowly, with lacing that falls even slower. Aroma is VANILLA, reminds me of cake batter, for some reason, but regardless I like it. As lame as it may be, the taste follows the nose almost exactly for me, with sweet dark maltiness coming out a bit more towards the end. Mouthfeel is velvet, And drinkability is only limited by the fact that it might get a bit cloying eventually. Great stuff.

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

Creme Brulee pours a very dark brown color with minimal highlights around the edges, and it is capped off by a light brown head that only left some spotty lacing on my glass. I could smell the sweetness coming from this beer as I poured it. It smells like a concentrated creme brulee dessert. There is tons of vanilla, butterscotch, caramel, hazelnut coffee creamer, and a touch of cocoa. I am amazed how they were able to make this really smell like creme brulee. The taste that follows the smell with heavy tastes of vanilla, custard, cocoa, hazelnut cream, butter, and roasted grain to finish it off. The vanilla is the heavest flavor, but isn't overpowering compared to the other flavors. This is a very sweet beer, but I don't really find it cloyingly sweet. The mouthfeel is full bodied, thick, and creamy going down. The drinkability is up in the air for me. I wouldn't make this a staple by any means, but I would like to have some around when I would be in the mood for something like this beer.

I like this beer, but I wouldn't have it around much I don't think.

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%

This beer was lightly chilled and served in an Imperial Nonic.

Appearance: The beer pours a ruby opaque black coloration. The head is resolves to a thin light tan coloration. Nice lacing remains to mark the beers passage from my glass.

Smell: A combonation of vanilla, caramel and sugary sweetness hits my nose. A bit of chocolate and dark roasted malt supports the sweetness.

Taste: This delivers a straight on vanilla, caramel sweetness. This could have gone terribly wrong into cloying sweetness; however, Southern Tier pulls it off. The supporting dark roasted flavors keep the sweetness in check. Well played!...

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a big round body. This beer is very smooth. This is a very tasty and well made stout. Its sweet but it has balance. Wish I had a case of this.

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%

Raven black with just the faintest, thinnest smear of rustic red if you hold it right up to the light and really squint hard enough. Although essentially opaque, at the proper angle you can see that same tone wash up along the light ebony banks which comprise the bold contour that silhouettes this shadowy beverage.

If you weren't aware that vanilla beans were used in the beer, you definitely will be the moment those first few drops hit the glass; this recipe must have depleted half the world's supply! As a fan of vanilla, this smell to my nose is downright ambrosial. Besides, it also features cocoa and a tremendous amount of caramel as well. It's like breathing in the air of a cafe scented with a long range of gourmet flavoured coffees.

Love it or hate it, I don't want to hear anyone denying the depth of this flavour profile - its intensity is the very reason why people either love or hate this beer. I'll attempt to describe what it is I'm tasting, but no words I know of will describe just how delicious and delectable and delightful they truly are. Just imagine the decadence of something that tastes like:

A fresh vanilla bean late with melted cocoa nibs and sweet sugary icing; and a finely roasted gourmet white chocolate flavoured coffee; and a very vanilla-laden bourbon infused with lots and lots of dark, buttery caramel; and more simply: a big 10% stout with a malt base that, instead of biscuit, tastes like a nutty nougat custard filled crepe topped with browned sugar.

But for all this flavour there seems to be proportionately little texture. The roast especially, which is present in taste, is very minimal in mouthfeel. Also, I understand the sweetness is meant to be exaggerated, but I'm surprised with the near complete void of bitterness. It certainly doesn't feel as rich as it tastes.

With no alcohol or astringency present, a beer which possesses this flavour and this strength and yet still so much drinkability could peek your sense of indulgence to guilty levels. Granted, that's if you're into this kind of thing. It does seem odd commending a beer for tasting so much like something that is not beer - I do feel like I'm raving on about a dessert.

And perhaps this is better considered a dessert anyhow; treated as a beer it is likely to be too rich and too sweet for many. But to anyone who - like me - have the weakness of possessing a sweet-tooth, an uncompromising appetite for dessert and just so happen to also have an appreciation for masterful craftsmanship brewing... this is a heavenly thing.

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

Appearance - pours very dark; held up to strong light it shows a brownish ruby. Thin foam, light mocha in color, and not hanging around for long but sticking with a nice collar. Doesn't lace at all, too bad.

Aroma - this smells like a dessert my son and I made last year for his culture assignment. It's called dulce de leche (caramel cream). Bascially heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla bean. The sweetest of sweet aromas, I dig it.

Taste - caramel malts are flavored early by the vanilla, like butterscotch candy. Roasted malts play a minor part but they are there. Nutty, coffee notes on the swallow, a nice blend of warm alcohol melding things together. The aftertaste has a drying smack of hops but not near enough to counter the high sugar effect of this brew. Finishes warm in the belly with flavors of caramel, vanilla, and roasted malt.

Mouthfeel - not especially smooth, but smooth. A touch under-carbonated to allow for a more dessert style intent.

Drinkability - I love the sweet beers and this is no exception. Wouldn't mind having another one of these for Halloween, it would be the ultimate beer candy on the 'candiest' night of the year. Major kudos to the good folks at Hyde Park W&S for hooking me up with a bottle of this earlier in the year. An ideal night to enjoy it as we have snow flurries in the forecast for the first time this season, the World Series has its first ever suspended game, and I mourn the loss of a treasured Beer & Sweat beer glass. It was a freebie but a member of the family nonetheless. Cheers to good beer, good baseball, and the remaining barful of glassware brotherhood left to carry on the sampling/reviewing tradition. Prosit!

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

How lucky I was that biegaman needed someone to pick this special order up for him today, I got a bottle for my trouble and one to share as well, thanks, Jan.

Black, opaque, poured into a Chimay goblet and initally spread out a half finger mocha-tan head that soon dispersed to a cloud in the centre with a tan ring and some lacing. There were very fine and tiny bubbles at the perimeter, always a good sign in my book.

The vanilla bean nose is very pronounced at the outset and, with air, there is sweet caramel, coffee, and then more caramel in the nose. I found the same progression with the taste: more mocha and coffee than creme brulee at first but then sweet caramel and vanilla that carried through and predominated. I was very impressed with the mouthfeel: silky smooth yet substantial body, this is one for sipping. Just the right touch of bitterness in the swallow and a long lingering, delicious finish. The alcohol couldn't be better hidden if David Copperfield was the brewer... a real treat all around.

What makes this a real delight is the richness and natural sweetness of a superb dessert-like offering with the characteristics of a well brewed stout. If there is a downside, it emanates from those same qualities; like a too-rich dessert, there's the temptation to over indulge and that might not be a great idea. If anyone is looking for a fantastic beer to conclude an evening of fine dining, particularly in mixed company, I doubt you can do much better than this. Heartily recommended.

3.3/5  rDev -15.2%

A: Poured from a 1pt. 6fl.oz bottle, it frothed up a good 1.5 finger head. A craggy cream head with fizzling as the carbonation made it's way through it. Some carbonation visible in the lower half of the dark reddish brown - almost black brew. Nice lacing.

S: Crème brulee does come to mind immediately of course. Unbelievably sweet smell - especially after pouring. On closer inspection, it's a very sweet caramelized sugar and vanilla smell with a touch of alcohol and sourness. Difficult to pick out more subtleties because it is amazingly bold.

T: Taste pretty much in line with the smell. Sweet vanilla, butter scotch and sweet sherry beginning. Moves into coffee and bitter chocolate and then too quickly into a stronger alcohol bitterness - a little rum-like finish. The aftertaste is a continuation of the finish but with a lactose sourness.

M: Lively with carbonation at the start. Medium/full bodied. Creamy, kinda buttery and smooth to the finish.

D: The heavy alcohol and amazing level of sweetness was a bit much for me. A small bottle would have been just enough - a bomber was difficult to get down. I would recommend trying this beer. It's quite an experience and the smell is amazing. I get the feeling it's a very polarizing drink - some hate and some love.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

had on 10.23.08

poured from bottle into wide mouth glass.

dark brown almost black in appearance. not much head, nice tan color for what was there (it dissipated very quickly). fantastic smell. coffee, vanilla, creamy - truly smells like a creme brulee, also reminds me of a white russian drink.

take all the aromoa scents and directly translate it into the taste and throw a little alcohol taste in there as well. it is a good balance, not too heavy. vanilla up front with a roasted coffee flavor followed by an alcohol finish. mouthfeel is nice, flavors blend together more as you drink more of it.

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

"It's like Candy"

I've served this beer at two dinner parties and the comments are always the same.... "It's like candy" Quite a nice sipping beer and very interesting. I think this is a great example of a beer that is wonderful if used properly. God forbid you came in from a hot day and popped a bomber of this....
On the other hand, after a nice meal on a cold night in front of a fire, this is perfect.

Pretty much a step back from black this beer is dark and syrupy thick. The head is tan in color with good retention. Not much in the way of lacing.

Aroma was perfect. Fresh Vanilla.... Some coffee notes as well. Just fantastic. I've seen a couple of folks take a couple of minutes just smelling the beer.

Flavor is "candy like" and hits the Crème Brulee name on the head. A strong vanilla flavor takes center stage in front of some nice stout flavors. Roasted malt bitterness brings some dark coffee flavors that work well with the vanilla. Very creamy...then a nice hop finish. Very sweet.

Mouth feel was VERY thick and syrupy. Drinkable like Amaretto or another type of after dinner drink. One to savor and enjoy.

I'll continue to surprise guests with this dessert companion.

Nicely done.

This is one of the most unusual and unique beers I've ever sampled. Probably not everyone's cup of brew, but if you like sweet dessert vanilla-flavored beers you gotta try it out.

Pours a ebony color with brown hues. Creates a solid 1/2' dense light tan head.

Aroma is a pure blast of fresh cut vanilla bean, french vanilla ice cream and whipped dessert topping.

Mouthfeel is fluffy and light with a silky smoothness. This is a sugary-sweet beer and would go great with a piece of dark chocoate cake.

Flavors of vanilla cream, butterscotch, milk chocolate and a touch of dark rum come through. The only downside is that I've brewed a few pure vanilla bean stouts and porters and the taste of real vanilla bean is definitely a bit different and more subtle. This stout's taste reveals more of a french vanilla extract flavor than that of the bean itself. The 10% alcohol is quietly warming and smooth.

Not one I'd go back to often but worth the experience

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Served in a tulip. Poured just one shade shy of black; zero light penetration. Half inch bubbly/foamy khaki-colored cap dissipated into a soapy skim. Some watery lacing, but no legs. Nose is, hands down, the best part of this beer. Creme Brulee in a bottle - butterscotch, vanilla and booze. Taste follows nose with a slightly bitter hops finish. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, viscous and lightly effervescent in the background. Drinkability is somewhat compromised - brew is cloyingly sweet and had to be split four ways. An incredibly rich and decadent brew, but certainly not for every day consumption. Drinkability might improve with age if the intensity of the flavors dissipates over time. Has great beer float potential.

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

As usual, Southern Tier does what they intend to do. Why they intended to do this is beyond me, though. I have to try all the Southern Tiers, so I gave this a try, and it was like drinking Creme Brulee. Poured dark with a bit of a light head, smelled as advertised, Vanilla with a hint of coffee, and tasted the same, though in my opinion, too sweet. A bit thin as well, but drinkable. Perhaps worth a try, but not a second. May age well, so I cant say I wont pick up a second bottle to stow away for Christmas 09.

3.43/5  rDev -11.8%

Black colored beer with a poorly colored (a bit too light) tan head. Nose is a bit off balance with caramel and vanilla bean hints, chocolate and milk. Flavor is interesting and unique, with flavors completely dominated by non-malt ingredients (lactose, vanilla beans,) with other light notes of chocolate and mocha. Kind of like it, don't want to pour it out like Choklat. Pretty tasty.

22oz bomber won in marcpal's recent LIF. Thanks Marc!

Pours oil-black, with just a small creamy off-white head- maybe this one was a bit undercarbonated?

Wow...smells just like dessert. Loads of caramel, coffee, vanilla and butterscotch. First taste screams of butterscotch. It's like drinking a strong cup of joe loaded with Brach's Butterscotch discs.

Loads of vanilla taste, too. A bit heavy on the coffee flavor, at least for me.

Just a bit too sweet as well. Interesting beer.

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

Oh yeah, drinking a great one for Joeybeerbelly! And this is da bomb!

Of course, pours black as nite, with a mound of thick and rich tan marshmallow, lacing as thick as paint.

For the first time, aroma like a vanilla cup cake, laced with rum. Quaff is a very sweet vanilla rum ball with a chocolate coating including bits of coconut. A real desert beer, to be sure. Just a hint of 10% booze in the finish as a warm anise afterdrink. Actually, this would be hard to quaff for the long haul (over a couple hours), but a nice bomber on a cool fall evening.

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Poured from the bomber into a pint glass. Body is black with a light-tan/khaki-colored head.

S: Wow. Creme brulee is right. The second the cap is popped you get the vanilla. After the pour it's even stronger -- vanilla and toffee and, as it warms, butterscotch. It smells more like dessert than a beer.

T: Follows the nose, more or less. Creme brulee -- vanilla, caramel, roasty malt and butterscotch -- as it warms I keep thinking of hard butterscotch candies.

M: Just shy of heavy in weight, fairly creamy in feel.

D: Subtract points here. This beer is just too heavy and sweet to be a big drinker. It's dessert and it's a sipper, but the sweetness just weighs you down and thus slows you down. The friend I split it with was right, I think -- a bomber would be perfect for 4 people as an after-Thanksgiving-dinner drink.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company