Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Thanks to RoyMunson for the trade.

22oz. brown bomber poured into a tulip.

A: Pours deep brown, nearly black, opaque. A 1 finger worth of cream colored head forms and holds for a minute or two. Decent lacing.

S: My first thought was cream cheese based icing... like my grandma made for her famous Red Cake, and similar to my Moms Carrot Cake. Added to this is a great milky chocolate with a few hints of high cocoa added in the back. Some freshly brewed coffee compliments the icing and chocolate character making me feel like I'm eating dessert just by smelling this. A nice thick whole milk character, like that of Creme Brulee(duh), rounds things out.

T/M: More of the same from the nose. The icing is toned down a bit, making way for the fresh black coffee followed by stronger milky chocolate and then back for some more of the icing. Body is silky smooth and not too heavy. Alcohol does sneak through just a bit at the end and actually dries thinks upon. Sweetness gets ridiculous about halfway through.

D: Retardedly drinkable for the first few ounces... then it's hard to get it down.

pwoods, Aug 18, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +19.5%

Purchased at Capone's

A: Pours a dark black hue with an average size yet solid head. Good retention and spotty lace.

S: Aroma is out of this world. Tons of sweet creme, chocolate, and caramel up front. Hints of Butterscotch candy push thru along with a big blast of vanilla.

T: Wow taste almost as good in the bottle as it does on draft. Tons of real vanilla bean and butterscotch. Hits of chocolate and coffee push thru. This is a well crafter brew that many brewers would love to duplicate.

M: Medium in body creamy as hell.

D: Nice. Somewhat sweet so it is not one you would pound, but I would take it over the real thing as a dessert any day.

tpd975, Aug 17, 2008
2.53/5  rDev -35%

Been sitting on this one for a while. Finally got a chance to crack it open. Poured an inky jet black with not much head at all. Very thick and viscous like motor oil. Smells of LOADS of caramel, vanilla, sugar, lactose. Basically like dessert. Taste is overly sweet. Tons of caramel, vanilla, cream, lactose, sugar, flan. It's not that it's bad, and the aftertaste is very enjoyable. It's just that it is WAY over the top sweet. Mouthfeel is very thick and oily, not too much carbonation, very slick. Coats the mouth. This is the first beer that Southern Tier have tripped up on, in my opinion. I couldn't get through a pint of it. Far too sweet. I do wish that I had some vanilla ice cream though to pour this over. That would probably be very tasty and enjoyable.

Doomcifer, Aug 17, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber served in a wine glass. Deep brown/black with a finger of tan head. Fair amount of carbonation for the style. Huge aroma with lots of vanilla and toffee. Full bodied with a silky smooth mouthfeel. More vanilla, toffee and a little coffee in the flavor. Alcohol is apparent. Plenty of lacto sweetness. Not much bitterness to balance. A good dessert beer. I enjoy sweet stouts, so I really liked this.

homebrewhawk, Aug 17, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +14.4%

Thanks to orcasteve for sending these my way.

Holy Shit!!! This beer has some body! Pours a nice thick black with ruby highlights and a nice light tan head. (quite vigorous pour) Nose is some cream, slight coffee, sugar. Taste is sugar sugar sugar. Jesus god. This is most defenitely a desert beer. Super vanilla cream and slight coffee flavors. mad sugar. Mouthfeel is awesome, outrageously viscous and milky. Drinkability is very good for the abv, but is defenitely hampered by the ridiculousness sweetness. If you are looking for a dessert beer, this is most defenitely one for you. Jesus god is this beer sweet. Quite delicious, but don't expect to drink more than one, as this bitch is filling as hell. Doing so would induce a diabetic coma. Impressed again with southern tiers beer with extras. A fantastically unique concoction. Super interesting brew. Git some!!!

AKBelgianBeast, Aug 17, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

This review was just found after cleaning my apartment. After looking at some recent reviews, it seems there are a lot of mixed emotions. I, for one, loved this beer.

A-Black, oily. Light caramel colored head that didn't last.

S-I was preparing dinner next to this glass and could smell it. The aromas are strong, but well balanced. It smelled like a cold drink you would get from Starbucks. Coffee, caramel, vanilla beans, sweet malts.

T-Everything I smelled, I tasted. The alcohol started out mellow as this beer was colder than a recommended temp for a stout. As the beer "warmed", the alcohol bite intensified.

M-Creamy and smooth. Flavors linger in between sips.

D-I wish I could make a trip to souther tier and try this on tap (if it is available). Will be getting more and sharing with friends.

TasteTester, Aug 17, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +7.5%

A: mostly black in appearance with a thin ring of mocha circling the glass

S: Damn outstanding. Butterscotch, and plenty of it, wafting from my glass and bottle. caramel and faint vanilla.

T: similar to the aroma with light coffee and burnt sugar added

M: creamy, very sweet, full bodied with light carbonation.

D: Splitting a bomber is the way to go. Very much a dessert brew but I'll have again.

Rainintheface, Aug 16, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

A friend recommended this beer to me, and picked up a bottle. Breakfast of champions on Saturday morning!
Pours out a deep rich black color, light maple malty hues throughout the glass.
Rich smell of carmelized sugar, vanillas, touch of toffees, very light cocoa undertones, dominated by the overwhelming smell of caramelized vanilla sugars.
flavors is exactly like the aroma-a delicious, mouthfull of caramalized vanilla sugars, exactly like the delicious crust found on top of a well prepared creme brulee'
The mouthfeel is med/thick. Normally I wouldnt prefer a stout this sweet, but for something conceptualized as an "Imperial Milk Stout", this is perfectly balanced.
Southern Tier does fantastic work with these Over the top coffee stouts. I have previously drank Jah-va, and found it to be outstanding. Well done.

czfreeman, Aug 16, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -32.4%

It poured a nice very dark brown with light tan head. I served it chilled and warmed up nicely by the end. At first, the smell hits with vanilla minimal to no hop aroma. The first taste was vanilla, but more of a butterscotch. There was a slight alcohol sting at the front of the sip. This confused me as the bottle said 10% ABV. As the beer warmed, the butterscotch taste became more pronounced and almost artificial in taste. It was nearly unbearable. I like big off-beat beers, but this one misses the mark for me. I would love to see what Southern Tier could do if they toned down or eliminated the vanilla from this stout. It seems they brewed an ale for people that don't like too much beer taste in their beer and nearly succeeded. I doubt I would buy this beer again.

stemcell001, Aug 16, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +24.7%

A- Pours a thin head in my large snifter and recedes rather quickly. Leaves some decent lacing. Body is pitch black.

S- I wish I could put a 5.5 here.. Easily can be smelled across the room. Huge caramel, chocolate, vanilla, and espresso.

T- Absolutely great espresso huge vanilla, caramel, graham cracker, chocolate, butterscotch, with an excellent butterscotch, caramel, and espresso finish. The finish is long and delicious.

M- Silky smooth with just a touch of carbonation. The finish is wonderful.

D- Alcohol is insanely well hidden. This isn't by any means a session beer, but it's tremendous. This can be a touch cloying, so splitting a bottle isn't a bad idea.

Greggy, Aug 16, 2008
1.55/5  rDev -60.2%

Picked up this bottle from Manchester Liquors. I wanted to see what all the hype was about.

The "Butt Water" series with the screening of cows on it.

Pours a dark black with slight caramel highlights. thin tan head and bubbly lacing.

this beer smells exactly like a french vanilla coffee from dunkin donuts. almost like caramel corn.

what the hell! the taste in no way matches the aroma whatsoever!

very heavy on the palate, a ton of caramel/toffee sweetness up front that has a funky imitation taste. the back end has a dry bitterness that is musty, earthy like tree bark, and leaves a dirty metallic aftertaste in my mouth.

i wonder if someone is pulling a prank on me and switched the brew inside with an over syruped two week old coffee from starbucks.

this beer makes me want to quit drinking beer all together.

i cannot believe the hype on this beer, you've got to be kidding me!

awful! F! get this thing away from me!

SteveO1231, Aug 16, 2008
2.23/5  rDev -42.7%

a: This was a very dark brown. It poured with a thin, light tan head.

s: Big butterscotch aromas leap out of the glass. This had a liqueuresque quality that rubbed me the wrong way. I have to admit though, it did smell a bit like creme brulee.

t: Up front, this had huge butterscotch notes with a little vanilla. At the end, there was the flavor of burned simple syrup and more faintly, bitter roasty malts. There was some heat here that became pretty strong as it warmed.

m: Decent body with mildly fizzy carbonation.

d: This does pretty closely approximate creme brulee. There is something mildly "off" here that I couldn't get past. I'm glad I opened this with several people, because I had trouble finishing one wine glass.

DIM, Aug 15, 2008
2.4/5  rDev -38.3%

Bought this one and really wanted to like it.

Big tan espresso head that disappears quickly, dark dark, mud dark...

Sweet toffee, caramel, vanilla, alcohol, kinda like grandpa's breath after a werthers original and brandy

Big taste, like drinking a heath bar at first, slowly gives way to vanilla, hot alcohol.

Nothing left but bitter stingy aftertaste. Like a vanilla cognac or something.

Nice effort I just didnt like it... I wanted too. Too alcoholy and vanilla for me.

Murchmac, Aug 14, 2008
1.73/5  rDev -55.5%

A: Extremely dark brown, near black, with very little head. Some lacing.

S: Like vanilla extract and butterscotch.

T: Like flavor concentrates: butterscotch, vanilla, and maybe some of that chocolate cheesecake flavor from Nature's Flavors that I ruined more than one dessert with. Everything over the top, much too intense. Like trying to drink an overly-flavored dessert made by a very heavy-handed chef. The butterscotch, above all, stood out - and that's a flavor I really detest. This didn't seem to be a diacetyl-induced butterscotch, but something added - from a bottle - in the secondary. (I know that's not what they did; it says on the bottle they used real vanilla beans, for one - but it tastes like flavor extracts.) Aftertaste is of saccharin.

M: Sort of slippery. Coats the tongue and will not let it go. Almost puckers the tongue with the intensity of the flavors.

D: I could not finish it. The sink, I'm afraid, got part of it. I would have gladly given it to someone who could appreciate it properly if they'd been there.

I am definitely not part of the target market for this beer. First off, I should have read on the label the part about it being a milk stout. Oops. No wonder it upset my stomach. I can't have any milk product that hasn't been turned into hard cheese or yogurt without my innards complaining. Second, I had a big sweet tooth about 15 years ago; I would even have dessert with lunch sometimes. These days, however, given the option of a sugary dessert or an IPA, I'll pick the IPA every time. It just doesn't occur to me to eat sweets.

Southern Tier has been one of my favorite regional brewing companies. For now I'll stick to their IPA and Phin and Matt's, and hope their next big beer is more to my liking.

Calico, Aug 14, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

A: snifter. pours a deep, impenetrable black color, with a gorgeous light brown head. mild head retention and nice lacing.

S: huge aroma of vanilla beans, not just plain vanilla. caramel, roasted malts, coffee, chocolate. it smells like a french vanilla coffee creamer.

T: it literally tastes like a damn creme brulee, with some coffee. wonderful roasted malt flavors, with some caramel, vanilla, coffee, light chocolate, and some lactose.

M: definitely full-bodied. huge palate, with a wonderful bite that is hidden. perfect carbonation level for this dessert beer.

D: well its definitely a dessert beer and absolutely delicious. I shared it with two non-beer lovers and it was a huge hit. well worth a try, but it is a little sweet.

paulthebeerguru, Aug 14, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -10%

Bomber poured into a chalice.

A - Poured very dark brown, with a thin head that quickly subsided to a thin ring around. No lacing.

S - Vanilla (What did you expect?), butterscotch and a hint of alcohol.

T - Vanilla, then roasted coffee, with a very slightly bitter finish. Has a slight alcohol heat in finish also. Sweet.

M - Smooth. Medium carbonation.

D - Are you kidding? With the sweet, and the alcohol, one's the limit.

I can't ID the issue I have with the taste, it just doesn't do it for me, mostly because of the sweetness.

tedpeer, Aug 12, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

This beer pours a very dark brown with no head, there is plenty of carbonation, I poured it properly and I attained 0 head. Other than the head the Beer looks very tasty. The smell is very powerful, it smells like a vanilla cake with vanilla frosting on it, with a mild hinto of toasted malts. The flavor is very original and well balanced, you can certainly taste the vanilla in it and it is not overpowering and you can taste the beautiful toasted malts as well. The mouthfeel is comfortable, it is nicely carbonated. It has a high drinkablility but I doubt I could do more than 2 bombers in a night. Well done beer ST!

Biggness, Aug 12, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

22 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights when held up to the light. A two finger tan colored head seems to last forever before falling to a thin creamy layer leaving a thick wall of lacing on the sides. Smell is pretty extreme (a bit much actually) vanilla extract, Werther's Original candy, with a touch of smoke. Coffee and butter (blah) with lots of sugar in the nose as well. Taste begins pretty boozy from start to finish with similarities to Amaretto and Bailey's. Lots of lactose and carmelized sugars midway with super sweet white chocolate. Aftertaste is slightly bitter with more vanilla and sugars. I really don't want to know the calories in an entire bottle of this beer, may be quite scary. A big full bodied stout that's silky smooth in the mouth. A surprisingly medium carbonation which I could use less of. This beer is just insane, plain and simple. No way can I finish this bomber tonight, I'd rather not gain a few pounds. Southern Tier makes pretty outrageous beers and this is no exception. This a beer to be shared, hopefully future BA's read these reviews and understand that down the road. Choklat is still the Black Water Series champion in my eyes. I'm not sure this would age well even with the high abv. I just can't see such a "milky" beer improving with time.

BeerTruth, Aug 12, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

Draft into a pint glass.

Thick and black, with a light tan head. Incredibly sticky lacing on the side of the glass.

My bartender's immediate comment when I ordered this was "breakfast in a glass," and she mentioned waffles. I'm not sure I can improve on that description. Maple syrup, caramel, milk, nutty sweetened oatmeal on the nose.

Oh so smooth, a not-displeasing heavy viscous quality. It definitely is breakfast in a glass. Lactose sweetness, maple syrup, sweet roasted nuts. I was pleasantly surprised by some nice hop bitterness.

Definitely imperial. Very good, but I could not drink more than... two, lets say. I almost said just one, but darnit, this beer is good.

TheMistler, Aug 11, 2008
3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

22oz bomber into nonic.

Pitch black with a hint of ruby edges at the bottom of the glass. A thin tan head slowly settles to a pillowy cap, leaving behind stringy lacing.

Very strong hints of vanilla, everything else is pretty much buried by it. Some of the alcohol is well perceived. This actually reminds me a little of Vanilla Coke and Vodka. The vanilla is paired with a little beat of sugary creaminess.

Vanilla again, in the form of light cream and burnt sugar. Some roasty malts are in the background, with only a little bit of bitterness forming in the end. Very thick beer, medium carbonation. The finish is a little bit of lingering bitterness and a lot of the vanilla.

Probably one of the thickest beers I have ever had. I was practically chewing each sip. The vanilla flavor is a little strong making the beer a little too sweet for my tastes, lowing the drinkability. It's like a giant liquid dessert. This is a very unique beer though, one worth trying. Recommended.

BeerSox, Aug 11, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance: Looks like a stout should look. Dark black beer with a thin tan head.

Smell: Wow! Butter and vanilla hit first and hit hard. Very big and very sweet. A bit of coffee and alcohol linger in the background.

Taste: Starts with the sweetness of the butter( more butterscotch in the taste) and vanilla and moves on to the roasted coffee flavor to cut back the sweetness. Finish is a combination of the bitter roasted flavor and sweet vanilla.

Mouthfeel: Quite thick with little carbonation. Very strong flavor left behind after each sip.

Drinkability: Very good, unique beer. It may be a bit too big to want more than one, or even to finish a bomber, but it is definitely worth seeking out and trying. Not for everyone but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

hellcatsjg, Aug 11, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

service- on tap into smaller tulip, maybe 10oz

a- Very dark brown almost black with a head that was described earlier as milk chocolate colored, but was more the color of a chocolate milkshake. left very little lace.

s- strong vanilla and caramel, aka creme brulee. after smelling it i almost thought i'd have to break through the shell of a head to reach the custard body.

t- very sweet, with strong notes of caramel and vanilla mellowing into darker stout notes of expresso and chocolate. lingering sugary taste made me keep putting the glass to my lips to refresh the palate. Alcohol level did a decent job cleaning much of sugary sweetness, but lingering tastes were also pleasant

m- very very smooth, lightly carbonated. I mentioned to my friend I was with that it reminded me a lot of an oak cask aged stout i had years earlier but thankfully this one had some carbonation whereas that one was completely flat. very very sweet, an absolute overload on the tastebuds, definitely a dessert beer that would be wonderful with chocolate, caramel or even berries and creme.

d- because of the sweetness and abv, there's no way someone could drink more than one of these in a session, although i'm sure plenty (myself included) would like to.

great beer that was very well executed in the brewing process.

Cunningham26, Aug 10, 2008
2.48/5  rDev -36.2%

I shared this beer with my brother and his reaction was, "Well, it tastes like something." I'm glad I split the bottle with my brother. I mean, sure, they accomplished what they set out to achieve: make creme brulee into a beer. I like beer, I like creme brulee, so I should like this beer but some things should be kept separate.

The taste is pleasant at first. The first, maybe, ten minutes of sipping this beer is very pleasant. It is very sweet, with a strong blast of vanilla and caramel. This is followed by a nice carob aftertaste. I mean, it tastes a whole lot like Creme Brulee.

But then you are stuck drinking a whole bottle of it. The sweetness is cloying and the carob and burnt flavors on the end get annoying. Plus, despite the initial onslaught, there isn't much going on with this beer. Big Caramel, Big Vanilla, and Big Carob. That is it.

It paired nicely with tiramisu. Indeed, I got sick of it only after I finished my tiramisu -- but I got sick of it immediately after my tiramisu was finished. It needs something and it needs it badly.

Beer should be able to stand alone. Uhhgggg, just too much.

shbobdb, Aug 10, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +24.7%

appearance - Black color, nice large tan head with some crazy lace on the glass. Looks good.

smell - For real, I can smell this about 2 feet away. Chocolate, sugars, vanilla, and caramel to die for.

taste - Very sweet with a little bit of a bitterness after taste. So smooth, silly.
Taste of chocolate, vanilla, and caramel.

mouthfeel - Full body, sweet.

drinkability - I tasted this before and ran to track 84 RI to get it on tap. Very good. I hear it is strong to drink on your own. It should be used as a after desert drink.

auxiliary, Aug 10, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -8%

Poured the bomber into my Short's Imperial pint glass.

A: Black with a hint of light brown. Poured almost two fingers of frothy, milk chocolate brown head, that retained well, but left little lace.

A: Wow this one's sweet. Vanilla, chocolate, butterscotch, and marshmellow. Caramel malts, and some very subtle earthy hops, and I stress very little.

T: Sugary sweet. The vanilla and butterscotch are over the top. This is for sure a dessert beer. A little espresso flavor finishes it off.

M&D: Little carbonation and a full body, make for a viscous brew. Drinkability is very limited due to the sweetness, number one, but the ABV at 10% doesn't help. Overall, good for an after dinner drink, but way too sweet for my taste. But still a very interesting brew. Skal.

Gtreid, Aug 09, 2008