Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
4.68/5  rDev +20.3%

GLASS: Chimay Goblet
TEMP: Chilled to approx 45 degrees
Acquired from corey0212 in Comic Book BIF (Thanks so much!)

Super dark ruby colored liquid. Nice, quickly dissipating head. No retention. Minimal lacing.

The smell is pure Creme Brulee. No doubt about that. One of the best noses on a beer, ever. Lots of sweet cream and buttery caramel notes. Delicious brown sugar. Butter toffee. Tons of vanilla. My neighbors can probably smell this one, down the street. Powerful.

Much like the nose. Big Creme Brulee taste right upfront. Brown sugar caramalized with butter and vanilla. Lucious sweet cream. Big stout maltiness follows, which brings amazing balance to the sweetness. Coffee notes mix with hints of marshmallows. Very slight hop bite. Just a hint of the alcohol content.
This is almost perfect. With just a touch more sweetness and vanilla, then take down the bite of the hops a little bit more...perfection.

The mouthfeel could be just a tiny bit more full/thick. As it is, it's lovely. Very smooth and silky. Super easy going down.

If I had regular access to Southern Tier, this would probably be my number one beer choice, my have to have on hand at all times.
I could easily drink a bomber of this in three swallows, maybe even two. It's that good.

4.93/5  rDev +26.7%

Dark, dark ruby body. Very nearly black. Not much light gets through this one. Big, thick khaki colored head. Staying power is tremendous and the lace is quite full. Strong thick aromas of caramel and toffee and burnt cream. It's a one of a kind aroma that can be smelt from across the room. Just like the aroma, the flavor is big and bold. Huge caramel and nougat tones. Burnt cream and burnt coffee. Milk sugars and char contrast. Burnt caramel and toffee. Some vanilla and chocoalte as well. This is just a one of a kind flavor. I don't know how this brewery pulls this off with beers like this and Pumking to make them so unique. This might be a little too rich and too heavy for some, but not for me. For a 10% stout, the drinkability is ridiculous.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

22 oz. bottle, served at approximately 55 degrees,

A: Pours a very dark brown when held up to the light. Into a snifter it went, with a long-lasting off-white/light tan head and a smattering of lacing.

S: This is the best part. Upon opening the bottle, I was greeted with this heavenly decadent butterscotch aroma, like smelling the most delicious dessert in the world. A beautiful smell, in the top 3 best smells in a beer ever along with another Southern Tier product - Choklat, and a vintage Bell's Old Ale.

T: Taste is delicious and decadent as well. Espresso coffee with cream comes out first, a little more bitter than I expected from the roasted grains, but it was quite tasty nonetheless. Molasses and vanilla are lighter than they were in the nose, but they still offer up outstanding secondary flavours, I would have liked a little more vanilla, as I'm a huge fan of the flavour, but this was quite nice, it's more balanced with all the flavours this way than if I had my way. The flavour profile ends with a distinct hop bite, which shocked me a little going in, as I expected it to be all malt, vanilla and spice flavours. I was taken aback at first, but as the brew continued to disappear from my glass and as it warmed up, I found the grassy hop notes melded really well with the coffee flavours. The ultimate dessert in a glass beer, I'm not giving it a 5, although it's close, I still would have liked a little less hop character, but this is still outstanding.

M: The carbonation is very soft, the brew is rather light-bodied for a big stout which I liked because the mouthfeel does not weigh the beer down, it's quite drinkable in it's style, which would make it a great dessert pairing.

D: I had this beer by itself, and I loved it, but it begs to be paired with an after dinner dessert. Wow, Southern Tier makes good beer. I envy all you East Coasters for having easy access to this stuff. In the top 5 of new beers I've had this year for sure. This is a sipper to sit back and enjoy, I would love to get another bottle of this.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

Into the KBS snifter...

A - Look reminds me of carbonated cognac. Little tan head that forms a thin ring around the glass.

S - Holy crap, I can smell the vanilla & cream from half way across the room. Slight coffee in the nose too.Alcohol is present, along with a tad of pine. It is what it says it is...

T - Not a huge surprise here, cream, vanilla, coffee dominate. Piney hops seem to linger in the finish. Yeasty esters are present. The sweet finish wins out over the slight dryness in the finish.

M - Soft, and a little more watery than I expected. Slightly prickly from the alcohol.

D - It is what it is, a sweet, fun, desert drink. I was impressed by it's ability to be so sweet, but have enough dryness keep it from being sickly sweet. Not the most complex, but could see having again.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

The LCBO testing lab puts this at 8.2%.

A: Black with a tan head, some retention, good lacing.

S: Crème brûlée... very sweet, caramelized & burnt sugar, vanilla.

T: Quite sweet, but it's nicely balanced by the hop & roasted bitterness. Toffee, caramelized sugar, vanilla and roasted malt (with hints of coffee & nuts). The finish/after-taste is like the burnt sugar on a Crème brûlée, as well as a marshmallow that has caught fire over a camp fire.

M: Well-attenuated, moderate-to-full body is sweet, but not at all cloying.

D: Quite drinkable.

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

I finally had the chance to try this one on tap while in the city today. I am really confused on how to review this one. Ok, so I totally understand what Southern Tier is doing with this one. On one hand, this brew is totally outrageous. It smells good, it looks good, it tastes good, and it's a pretty darn great idea. However, it is almost undrinkable in my opinion.

A- Dark black color. Looked like soda especially because of all the carbonation bubbles. Nice tan head, some lacing.

S- Wow. This smells exactly like a freshly baked vanilla/chocolate cake. More like cake batter and icing. Very similar to what fresh cookies smell like while baking in the oven.

T- I think sweet is an understatement with this beer. Extremely sugary and completely rich. Milk, sugar, vanilla, chocolate, cookie dough, pie, baked goods, brown sugar. This beer is outrageous. I have never had anything like this before. Tastes great, but I cannot stomach too much of it.

M- Sticky, rich, filling.

D- Horrible drinkability. I cannot imagine taking down too much of this in a sitting. A couple of sips were good for me and thats about all I could do. I am glad I got a chance to try this one.

(Served in a snifter)

A- This beer has a black body that is dense with only a faint brown glow at the very base of the beer. There is a thin ring of bubbles on the top that form the head. A few random tiny bubbles sticking to the glass is the only carbonation visible.

S- The huge smell of milk and vanilla come through during the pour. There are big caramel notes that fade to butterscotch aromas as the beer warms. The smell of white sugar comes through aswell.

T- The full taste of sweet caramel is very sugary and has a big full vanilla flavor and a honey note. There is a nice roasted coffee malt bitterness in the finish that turns vinous as the beer warms.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with no real alcohol heat until it gets pretty warm.

D- This would land a perfect 10 if "tasting like the food it describes on the label" were a category. The flavor was huge and intense but a bit to much for a full bomber of beer. I think I will try this again but with an espresso stout chaser.

4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

22oz. bomber into shaker pint glass on 10/7/08. Thanks to Deuane for the hook-up!

A - Pitch black body with the faintest burgundy highlights around the edges and a thin mocha-colored head that receded to a patchy film and left decent lacing. The sucker is impervious to light!

S - Vanilla bean... and lots of it! Wow! Caramel sugars, fresh cream, some roasted malt and mild coffee. Pretty much smells like the dessert after which this brew is named.

T - Flavor brings all of the classic creme brulee flavors into the mix. Vanilla, caramel and confectioner's sugar are all at the forefront. Hints of roasted malt, mild coffee and bitter chocolate also make appearances.

M - Full bodied stout with a very rich and creamy mouthfeel and super smooth texture with only a bit of mild prickle from the carbonation. Finish is sweet with a touch of bitterness to balance.

D - Another big double-digit ABV beer from Southern Tier that blends envelope-pushing innovation with superior drinkability. This is definitely a dessert beer if there ever was such a thing! Definitely one of the most unique stouts I've come across in my beer travels.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Deep brown color, with reddish edges...thinnish, roasted tan head. It's undulating now, actually, not sure why, it's pretty stable sitting on my desk.

And I can smell the vanilla from here at my chair. Let's bring it in...Yup, all vanilla, with cocoa close behind. Swet and lovely.

Mmm. Smooth, sweet, creamy, fluffy, but yet still solid. Delicious. Yum. Dark and light. Sweet and substance. Rich and airy. Candy, and caramel malt, and ...yumminess.
The ten percent alcohol level boasted on the label is not felt in the slightest.

Why the cows on the label, though? They make cream, maybe, but not vanilla. Whatever.
Good stuff, here. Great dessert brew.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

Bomber poured into my Deschutes snifter, Crème Brûlée is an inky brownish black with a small, tight and creamy tan head that leaves very light, scattered lace.

Smell is strong and sweet, caramelized sugar and vanilla for sure, butterscotch, some coffee and light plasticy phenols and clean alcohol.

Taste is also very strong, bittersweet and nutty Similar to the aroma, Southern Tier definitely hit the mark for crème brûlée beer with this one. The lactose and caramel give make it eerily resemblent of a Starbucks Caramel Macchiato, which is not something I'm really into. While it may not be for everyone, I enjoyed it enough, although one bottle was plenty, as it was thick, sugary beer with really robust flavor.

Mouthfeel is sugary and slick, with a medium heavy body in the mouth but heavy in the stomach.

Drinkability is pretty good, not as scary as I feared, it wasn't the best thing in the world, but it worked well enough. Something to bust out every once in a while, I'll try cellaring my other bottle for a year and see what happened, as I'm really not sure what to expect, it probably will barely budge.

2.58/5  rDev -33.7%

Pours a chocolate cola colour with minimal head. Nose- blast of thick vanilla. Taste- creamy vanilla- super sweet, with some roasted malts. Some caustic nuttiness and finishes with stale vanilla. thick too sweet. booze is hidden, I will give it that. otherwise uggh

2.33/5  rDev -40.1%

Nice color, amber brown, not your typical dark stout color. Awesome aroma with caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, maple. But unfortunately, this brew is overwhelmingly sweet. They could've cut the sweetness in half and still have a lot of flavor. If you pour a small puddle in a brandy snifter an share with friends, you'll be ok. Don't pour a pint and expect to drink like a beer.

3.85/5  rDev -1%

Murky ink black beer. Slow developing third of an inch of dark tan colored head. To opaque to notice any carbonation rising. Lace holds in sticky spots.

A very sweet smelling brew with a swirl of scents. Light creme, vanilla, roasted malt, and a slight hint of maple. Smells of caramel develop at the end.

Taste is a bit of a letdown after the aroma. Super sweet creme flavor up front. Taste is very reminiscent of an Irish car bomb shot. Good flavor, but not as complex as aroma implies.

A surprisingly watered down feel on the tongue. Taste clings on the back and sides of the mouth.

A beer to try. Great as a dessert all on it's own. If you are a fan of sweet beers this is a good choice. An above average choice, but not for everyone.

3.33/5  rDev -14.4%

Alright, here we go. This is from notes but I had this on vacation over the summer.

I had heard about it, and had tried other ST brews, and thought I had to give it a shot because I have been impressed with their Imperial Series thusfar. Being a stout-lover, I was a little disappointed.

The appearance and aroma were spot on for their goal. It smelled like the burnt sugar and carmelization that you would get from a real creme brulee. But the taste was far too sweet for my liking. Splitting a bomber between two people was tough. I could see this being a much more effective brew served in small (maybe 5oz?) servings after dinner as a dessert.

Overall, Its very interesting and worth a shot if you want to indulge. Split it with a few friends after a nice meal, and you can savor it.

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a deep pitch-black color stout with a medium light brown foamy head with good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma is totally dominated by vanilla and some weird crème brulé-like syrup. Taste is also dominated by the vanilla and whatever syrup they've used and little else is discernable. Full body but could have been creamier with good carbonation and no discernable alcohol. Interesting experiment but a bit over the top and not sure I would want to drink a full bottle by myself.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

I poured a bit from my 22oz bomber into a snifter and let it sit for awhile on my coffee table. After a couple of minutes, i began to notice a thick vanilla and caramel smell coming from somewhere. I couldn't figure out the source until I looked at the snifter, and mobed myhead a little closer to the coffee table. There' your problem...or is it.

Pours a thick cola brown to light black no head or foam what so ever. Where d I begin with the aroma. You can dar vanilla ad caramel from five feet away. As you bring your nose closerYou get burnt cream, milk chocolate, with a warm Bailey's note at the end. Sometimes remids me of Christmas. Theres almost too much going on in the nose of this beer. The taste is no different. Syrupy caramel and vanilla swirl together meeting at a toasted cream fork in the road. Add a splash of hershey's chocolate, dash of baile's and maybe some cinnamon, and you've got creme brulee. Insanely sweet and syrupy beer. This is made for desert only. It's desert in and of itself. If you tried to have this beer with desert, the beer would drown out the flavors of ay desert. I hink this 22oz bomber will take me at least an hour to sip. But thats not a bad thing necessarily.

3.48/5  rDev -10.5%

This caught my eye at the store, especially coming from ST.

Pours so dark a brown I will call it a light black (Maybe German Chocolate?) . The head is only average and there is less lacing the one would expect.

The smell is a huge hit of caramel the first few whiffs, with some hits of vanilla and honey graham cracker as it warms, interesting.

The Flavor is creamy and super sweat at first the caramel and vanilla is overpowering towards the end i notice some roasted barley ad it finishes with a hint of bitterness.

The mouthfell is light but milky, overall pretty good. Im glad i tried this, I cant say its entirely my cup of tea being to sweet, but a cool beer to try.

4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

Thanks goes out to jwc215 for this brew.

Pours a thick black color, some carbonation, nice little fizzy tan head, some sticky lacing around the edges. The nose is a vanilla bean BOMB, very nice, malty, some hops, chocolate/toffee/coffee notes. The taste is sweet, malty, very nice touch of vanilla, with the big three dark ones. Medium body. Very drinkable, I really like this one, different brew from other Imp. Stout's, way to go ST.

3.58/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my snifter.

Upon just cracking the bottle, butterscotch is pouring everywhere. After pouring still all I can smell is butterscotch.

A: Pours a deep black, consistency of skim milk. Nearly no head. Minimal lacing.

S: Aroma, still all butterscotch. Small hint of chocolate. This is going to be sweet

T: Taste begins with butterscotch, and some mocha. Finish has a welcomed taste of alcohol

M: One of the creamier beers I've had yet - thinner but similar to a Baileys.

D: A bit disappointed by this, and certainly something I wouldn't drink more than one of. Yet, very smooth - too overly sweet for me. Would work well as a Desert beer, and could gain fans of non beer-geeks. Optimal serving would be 8 oz.

4.28/5  rDev +10%

pours a rich dark brown in my snifter. very subtle hints of ruby around the edges. a rich creamy light tan head floats up to greet me.

instantly i am hit by an intense caramel scent. upon warming i can smell more of the vanilla. this beer smells so sweet it makes my teeth ache.

and i just dropped my glass after taking my first sip...worst night ever. entire bottle now sits on my bedroom floor...so atleast my room smells good.

from the sip that i took the flavor is great. very sweet. lots of caramel and vanilla. smooth finish. full body. i would drink a whole glass of this next time i get it in a trade...i hate my life :(

1.65/5  rDev -57.6%

Appearance: very dark brown with minimal head

Smell: All I smell is overwhelming butterscotch.

Taste: Smooth, creamy vanilla and butterscotch. But cloyingly sweet.

Mouthfeel: creamy and thick, not much carbonation.

Drinkability: I really want to like this beer, and in small doses it's not bad. I give Southern Tier credit for brewing outside of the box. However, this is just too sweet and cloying for a 22 oz bottle. Customers should have the option to purchase this in 12 oz or smaller bottles. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to pour out more than half of my bomber because this just isn't very drinkable in large doses.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Got this from a friend.

Pours completely black with a one-finger tan head that recedes into a wispy layer of bubbles and a thin ring around the glass. The top of the beer looks very oily, and there's not much lacing although the beer itself does leave a short-lived layer on the glass.

Smells good. Butterscotch right off the bat and some vanilla aroma as the beer warms. A very, very sweet smelling beer.

Tastes great. Super sweet up front that tapers down into a vanilla flavor. There's also some chocolate in there.

The mouthfeel is amazing. This beer completely coats my mouth and it's unbeliavably creamy and smooth.

Drinkability is good. The sweetness gets to be a bit much, but I had no problem polishing off a bomber of this.

Overall this was all that I thought it would be. Huge butterscotch aroma with a sweet vanilla flavor that goes down obscenely easily. Definitely worth a try.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

A: Thick and creamy head coupled with lots of patchy foam immediately after the pour, a half moon of lace along one side, head retention is exceptional, deep dark brown with a touch of ruby at the edges - 4.50, S: The nose is intensely vanilla, caramel and ice cream all wrapped up in one, there is also a strong dosage of candied coconut, but it's hard to get beyond the vanilla it's so overpowering, I fear this one might be too much given all the syrupy sweetness on the nose though it is inviting - 4.50, T: Like eating a ice cream sundae coated with caramel and flan, there is also a strong butterscotch and some faint coconut flavor, though it is a stout there is so much else going on it is easy to forget, some nice maltiness from the grain as well as some espresso flavors come through on the edge, again - vanilla rules this beer - 4.50, M: Medium bodied with a very smooth and creamy texture that clings to the tongue - 4.50, D: This is an out-of-the-ordinary beer to say the least, it really doesn't follow the guidelines of a style though milk stout seems the most appropriate, a beer that has its limits, very enjoyable especially when dessert is on one's mind - 4.25 ORIGINAL review from 9/29/2008 slightly modified on 9/28/2010.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

22oz bottle thanks to the great Lum. Poured into a Terappin pint glass.

A: Pours a dark brown or is it black. Looks black but lets in some light that creates some really nice dark red hues that make this puppy look bark brown. A vigorous pour didn't amount to much in the head department. What little head came to the party showed up long after the pour and was a nice mocha brown. Not much lacing to talk about. Leaves a bark brown film on the glass due to the viscousity of the brew.

S: Smell is, for lack of better word, amazing. They nailed Creme Brulee in the aroma. Big time vanilla smell. Just amazing amounts of creamy vanilla. Smells a bit like the cream in an Oreo at times. Nice caramel that smells fresh as hell. Really nice, somewhat bitter chocolate and a freshly made mocha with whipped cream. Just smells awesome. Nailed it.

T: Nice. The heavy vanilla presence really hits the palate hard at first sip. Then a really nice mocha flavor kicks in to round it out with some coffee bitterness. This is a sweet beer but I don't believe it to be overly sweet considering what they were trying to create here, hence the name. Caramel is thick and creamy. Just a touch of chocolate and nougat? Alcohol tends to be in your face at times.

M: Full bodied, big time brew. Thick and coating. Really saturates the palate with some sweet flavors. Alcohol has a slight warming effect in the throat and tummy. Aftertaste is of some bitter chocolate.

D: This beer is sweet. Share. Its not as sweet as I was expecting from everyone's comments but it does get overwhelming after a bit. It is a nice after dinner beer when you have company. A few ounces with some cake or something would be perfect. The smell is the real show stopper here. Just shows you what brewers are capable of when they get an idea. Great effort at an extreme brew.

4.28/5  rDev +10%

Grabbed two bottles at Colonial in Acton, Mass. after volunteering for the Blue's 'N Brews benefit event.

I drank the first bottle that night and wasn't impressed so decided to wait until I drank the second bottle to review. Much different impression the second time around.

Nice looking pour, creamy and thick tan head. Smells very sweet, over the top sweet. Tastes like sweet caramel, more like something my grandmother used to make than creme brulee, but I think it's pretty amazing they were able to get that flavor into a bottle. Very smooth mouthfeel, some lingering lick-smacking sweetness, but nothing undesirable. Enjoyable to drink, but you're not going to want to sit and drink too much at one time. Nice beer to share with someone, especially if they're not normally beer drinkers.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company