Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.
Ratings: 4,159 | Reviews: 1,426
3.66/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a tap into a 16oz standard pint.

A: [3.25] Dark black with no light penetration. This was a tap pour and produced no head and no lacing at all.

S: [4.00] Rich butterscotch. You can smell it when the glass gets near you.

T: [3.75] The taste is butterscotch, maple syrup and a hint a vanilla. The alcohol is not overpowering but it is detectable.

M: [3.00] A little thin - not bad but not as chewy as I was expecting. Carbonation seems rights.

O: [3.50] This is an unorthodox brew. I can see why this would be polarizing with some people loving it and some hating it. It is really sweet and candy-like and that might not be your thing. I thought it was a nice offering to mix things up a bit. I could not drink more than 2 of these in a sitting.

3.66/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Again I find milk stouts too rich for me. It seems like there is a protein element present that is off putting. This one looks great and the body is nice and thick. The nose is strong butterscotch which would be quite nice if it were toned down a bit. It's just too sweet and strong. The taste is similarly overloaded to the point that I finds self just trying to get it down instead of spending any time with it. I don't want to knock it too much since others seem to be high on it, just coming to the conclusion that this family is not for me.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Served on-tap in a 10oz glass imperial tumbler at Beer Run (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Very dark chestnut brown with cap of french vanilla colored head with various lace marks down the glass.

S: The aroma is extraordinarily pungent and is a bit to high on the artificial extract scale for me. The vanilla, caramel, hazelnut, chocolate and alcohol are all big and bold and unfortunately leave the impression of a highly aspartamed cup of coffee, kind of like using way too much liquid Coffeemate (name your flavor) in coffee.

T: The flavor is dominated by alcohol first then tempered a little by the hefty vanilla, caramel, and chocolate flavors tinged by nutty flavors like hazelnut. This reminds me of Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale in the high extract quotient quality of the flavor. This beer is full of flavor, but the palate doesn't really mix well and instead leaves a disorganized remnant of high-octane liqeur rather than tasting like beer. Warming made a little difference in smoothing out some of the harsh, artificial flavor character, but not enough to change my score. I like the spirit behind this beer, but the execution isn't right on for what I look for in a big stout. Rounded flavor with an emphasis on malt in the profile is what I am looking for rather than a cartoonish combination of flavors that work well in a dessert but not in this brew.

M: The feel is pretty good but a bit thin for the ABV and for all the flavor in this beer. The afteraste is highly phenolic and medicinal.

D: Not all that drinkable and the 10oz were a tall order when all was said and done.

EDIT: Had a 2013 bottle shared with my wife. Poured into a clear glass snifter.
A: Dark brown with short cap of head with a few spots of lace.
S: A nutty-vanilla-butter-frosting aroma that really smells interesting, kind of like nutty cotton candy.
T: Flavor a lot more drinkable than I remember and I think the mellowing time helped. NOt really stouty, more of a strong ale with all of the buttery vanilla sweetness. But there is a nutty quality that I like. It smells and tastes like a nutty, nougat-filled candy bar. The butteriness in the aroma comes through less in the flavor than in the aroma and is not really distracting. ALcohol is pretty well-hidden.
M: Moutheel is also reasonably creamy with low carbonation.
O: Overall, I am really surprised. I would not want to drink this often as it is very sweet, but I have to give ST credit, this is pretty good for what it is. Scores adjusted a little upward.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

I finally had the chance to try this one on tap while in the city today. I am really confused on how to review this one. Ok, so I totally understand what Southern Tier is doing with this one. On one hand, this brew is totally outrageous. It smells good, it looks good, it tastes good, and it's a pretty darn great idea. However, it is almost undrinkable in my opinion.

A- Dark black color. Looked like soda especially because of all the carbonation bubbles. Nice tan head, some lacing.

S- Wow. This smells exactly like a freshly baked vanilla/chocolate cake. More like cake batter and icing. Very similar to what fresh cookies smell like while baking in the oven.

T- I think sweet is an understatement with this beer. Extremely sugary and completely rich. Milk, sugar, vanilla, chocolate, cookie dough, pie, baked goods, brown sugar. This beer is outrageous. I have never had anything like this before. Tastes great, but I cannot stomach too much of it.

M- Sticky, rich, filling.

D- Horrible drinkability. I cannot imagine taking down too much of this in a sitting. A couple of sips were good for me and thats about all I could do. I am glad I got a chance to try this one.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from the bottle into a large snifter glass.

A simple light cocoa head with some tight froth-iness as well, sitting upon a simple dark black/brown walnut body. Pretty basic, looks like a stout, a good sized collar is left while drinking, seems good.

Bouquet is a giant sticky caramel, toffee, big sweetness with sweetened condensed milk. I suppose that's what it should be since it is called creme brulee after all, so it works. Vanilla doesn't seem obvious on the nose.

The on thing that comes off on the taste that seems to be an exception is the bitterness. Bitter almost hoppy in the finish, but not leaving as strong notes from the smell in the palate. Does bring a sweetened condensed milk taste primarily, but also a real fizziness too, along with of course caramel sweets.

Overall on taste this was not what I was expecting, it was also in taste not as sweet I thought it would be and didn't come out as a big sugar blast. However, there is an unpleasant almost acrid and strange hop bitter to this that doesn't make the drink particularly enjoyable.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from 22oz. bottle via trade thanks to cheezdawg.

A - Pours a dark, caramel brown with a small head that quickly disappears and leaves some lacing around the glass. I dont know if its the appearance or the smell but this beer seems to be calling out eat me.

S - All creme brulee, loads of vanilla up front and almost has a certain creaminess in the aroma. No need to stick your nose in the glass for this one.

T - Brunt Custard. Sugary, sweet and everything the name of the beer says it is. Definitely a unique taste if you like sweet beers and the high abv. seems to be well masked in this one.

M - A little thin for a stout imo. But I guess if it was thick a syrupy then it may be a little to rich. Not overly carbonated. Beer is silky smooth and has a somewhat custard creamy mouthfeel.

D - Gotta be in the mood for a beer like this. Best after your dinner, a true desert beer. Smooth and drinkable just not sure if I would seek this out again, but definitely a good beer.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

Creme Brulee pours a very dark brown color with minimal highlights around the edges, and it is capped off by a light brown head that only left some spotty lacing on my glass. I could smell the sweetness coming from this beer as I poured it. It smells like a concentrated creme brulee dessert. There is tons of vanilla, butterscotch, caramel, hazelnut coffee creamer, and a touch of cocoa. I am amazed how they were able to make this really smell like creme brulee. The taste that follows the smell with heavy tastes of vanilla, custard, cocoa, hazelnut cream, butter, and roasted grain to finish it off. The vanilla is the heavest flavor, but isn't overpowering compared to the other flavors. This is a very sweet beer, but I don't really find it cloyingly sweet. The mouthfeel is full bodied, thick, and creamy going down. The drinkability is up in the air for me. I wouldn't make this a staple by any means, but I would like to have some around when I would be in the mood for something like this beer.

I like this beer, but I wouldn't have it around much I don't think.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle I picked up at the Shoprite Liquors Hamilton NJ, into a Duvel Belgian Tulip glass.

Appearance: A thick, dark cola color with the thin beige ring. No head at all even with a moderately aggressive pour. Lacing was minimal due to the non-existent head.

Smell: Sweet vanilla bean, caramel, and butterscotch overwhelmingly dominate the nose with a small dose of coffee. Very candy-like in fact. As it warms, a quick swirl brings out a little booziness.

Taste: Very sweet caramel, butterscotch, malt, coffee and vanilla flavors attack the palate all at once. Mild hop bitterness near the end, which gets swallowed up by sweetness. What you smell is what you taste with this beer.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation with a creamy smooth texture for this overly sweet syrupy thick beer. The ABV is well hidden behind the candy-like sweetness.

Overall: "Dessert beer" comes to mind immediately. I'm glad I tried it but it was way too sweet for my liking. I give Southern Tier credit for stretching the creativity boundaries with this Imperial Milk Stout. With that said, I probably wouldn't seek it out again

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

Beer is black with a finger-width of tan head. Pretty good retention.

Smell is incredibly creamy. Lots of vanilla. Smells like ice cream. Even from the smell it is clear that this beer is crazily sweet. Pretty one dimensional, and you have to be in the mood for dessert, but the smell is quite nice for what it is.

Taste is similar to the nose. Lots of vanilla, very creamy, very sweet although there is a bit of bitterness surrounding the chocolate flavours that are present. Much like a milkshake with beer. Hard to drink too much of.

Highly carbonated, fairly irritating. Full bodied, the intense sweetness dries the mouth greatly. A little syrupy.

Overall, nice for a little bit, but hard to drink much of this. I certainly won't make it through the whole bottle. Needs to be shared by several people.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours black with a soapy thin tan head about 1/4 inch. Decent lacing on the glass. Nothing spectacular.

Smell, you can smell this as soon as you pop the cap.
Vanilla, melted coffee icecream and booze.

Taste, the best way i can describe this is Baileys Irish Cream on the rocks. If i close my eyes thats what i would swear i was drinking. Vanilla, coffee icecream, and a lot of alcohol. This is bozzier then i thought it would be. However it is 10%abv according to the bottle. But yea, Baileys on the rocks.

Mouthfeel is smooth at first and then ou get an alcohol blast of warth on the back of your tongue all the way down your throat. Average carbonation.

Drinkability is tricky to rate with this one. It's tasty and enjoyable. However i have no desire to drink another one anytime soon. Nothing against the beer i just feel it's more of a novelty then anything. Not to say it's a bad beer because it's not.

Overall this is a tasty, sweet treat from Southern Tier. I've heard you either love or hate this beer. I disagree. I don't love it or hate it. I really like it though.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

As usual, Southern Tier does what they intend to do. Why they intended to do this is beyond me, though. I have to try all the Southern Tiers, so I gave this a try, and it was like drinking Creme Brulee. Poured dark with a bit of a light head, smelled as advertised, Vanilla with a hint of coffee, and tasted the same, though in my opinion, too sweet. A bit thin as well, but drinkable. Perhaps worth a try, but not a second. May age well, so I cant say I wont pick up a second bottle to stow away for Christmas 09.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours murky dark brown with ruby highlights. Head is crisp white and hangs around awhile.

Aroma is sweet coffee liquor with generous chocolate and vanilla.

Taste is very similar to the nose. Very sweet, smooth chocolate, vanilla, and a ton of toffee. Hints of smokey dark grain. Finish is sweet and boozy.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, very smooth and creamy.

A very sweet dessert beer. Tasty and smooth, but too sweet to drink more than one. I could swear there is Kaluha in this.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a bottle and consumed September 2009.

A: Big, black, and thick. Minor tan colored head.

S: Nauseatingly sweet scent. Cotton candy, caramelized sugar, and yes, creme brulee. Wow. Overpowering scent. I could smell this across the room.

T: Toasted oats, french vanilla or irish cream flavored coffee, and toffee. Some minor bittering elements through it (mostly from the burned sugar and coffee) but more sweet than not.

M: Very thick, with little carbonation. Not particularly oily or silky - just thick.

D: Not particularly drinkable to me. I don't particularly like it, but my wife definitely feels the opposite.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

Tarantula brownish black with blood red highlights. The beer is anything but a black hole and appears barely opaque when backlit with afternoon sunshine. Atop the liquid sits a golden brown sugar colored crown that gets the job done, including leaving attractive sheets of tattered lace on the upper reaches of the glass.

My nostrils don't have to get anywhere near the glass to appreciate the aroma. The beer smells like a flavored coffee drink that's dominated by caramel. I suppose it also smells like creme brulee, but I've only had that dessert once and that was more than 20 years ago. Do I smell coconut as well? Odd.

I can see how Creme Brulee is a polarizer. It's both different and delicious, but it's starting to wear out its welcome as the ounces cruise by. It doesn't seem possible that the brewers created this flavor profile with nothing more than dark caramel malt, vanilla beans and lactose. Then again, why not?

Creme Brulee is billed as an Imperial Milk Stout, but it doesn't really taste like it. That whole burnt sugar/creme caramel/vanilla vibe takes it in an entirely new direction. For my money, Southern Tier's Imperial chocolate stout (Choklat), Imperial coffee stout (Jahva) and Imperial oatmeal stout (Oat) are much, much better. Those first two are outstanding.

It's weird how I still taste coconut. That's in addition to the flavors described above, plus vanilla and melted milk chocolate. The Columbus and Horizon hops provide a background bitterness that keeps the beer from being overly sweet. In the end, it doesn't all come together as well as I'd like.

Considering the style and the ABV, the mouthfeel fails to close the deal. It's a fraction thin and isn't as creamy as it should be. The carbonation wouldn't be as noticeable in a plusher, more velvety brew.

The Black Water Series from Southern Tier contains some of the best beer on planet Earth. Unfortunately, Creme Brulee misses the mark (although not by much) because it pushes the envelope too far in one direction. Some love it, some hate it. I can take it or leave it.

3.64/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

bomber (22oz) served in a snifter glass.

pours a deep dark brown/borderline black with a mocha-toned finger of head that recedes fairly quickly; not much lacing to speak of.

unique, bold nose smacks of the namesake dessert. very sweet: strong notes of vanilla, butterscotch, chocolate, and roasted malts. picking up on a slight coffee presence too. well done of that score. no less interesting a flavor, but... well... hmm... it's swinging for the fences, not sure if it's getting there. tasty at first - big vanilla/butterscotch flavors assert themselves early and often, along with more subtle notes of chocolate, even a slight hoppiness in the finish. however the sweetness becomes cloying as it warms and quickly begins to overwhelm the palate.

medium to heavy bodied mouthfeel; a little below average carbonation. it's good, but in a small doses kind of way; something to enjoy a few ounces of after dinner. even a bomber split 2 ways is probably going to be too much for me.

originally reviewed: 12-08-2010

3.64/5  rDev -6.9%

A-Pours a jet black color with nice 1 finger off white head that dissapates quickly. Great lacing.

S-WOW is all i can say. It smelled like someone just stuck a creme brulee in my mouth. Has vanilla ,carmel, roasted coffee and chocholate notes. SMeel heavenly

T- Has a nice sweetnees upfront then followed by the roasted burnt coffee taste folowed by more sugary creme brulee sweetness

M-Medium bodied with a silk smooth feel in the mouth

D-OVerall this beer has soo many things good going for it. It looked Great, Smelled Great, but did not taste great. It was just WAY too sweet. Im glad i opened this between 4 people or i would of never been able to finish it. I think next time they should only add 2 pounds of sugar to the batch instead of 20! Im excited to try other stuff from them. But this was too much. I can sip on about 8 oz or so of this but then im done.

3.64/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Dark brown with a black appearance. Very short tan head, turns quickly into moderate lacing.

S: Heavy cream, vanilla, chocolate, pudding. Cake frosting and bread pudding are two aromas that i can clearly decipher. Small hints of coffee, cinnamon, nutmeg.

T/M: Not far from the nose. Big creamy vanilla flavor right away. The richness is almost like a pudding or custard of sorts, much like a creme brulee. Very mild french toast-spiciness. Sweet milk chocolate and roasted coffee beans are overpowered by the big notes of vanilla and cream. Rich, and very very sweet overall body. Medium body with medium carbonation.

D: The definition of a dessert beer. Extra sweet and rich in flavor. Pretty good, but not the greatest.

poured 22 ounce bottle to snifter

A: black, no head

S: rich carmel, vanilla

T: rich rich rich, one small glass then it started to make me sick.

M: thick full body

D: i could only drink one 10 ounce snifter of this then I had to blend the rest with old rasuputin.

3.64/5  rDev -6.9%

22 oz bomber poured into a wine glass thanks to Go Griz.

Pours super dark with a bit of hazelnut colored foam. The foam subsides fairly quickly. Strong smell that reminds me very much of Starbucks Coffe Liquor but with a bit more vanilla. Initial reaction is WOW a big smack in the face of vanilla sweetness, which shouldn't be surprising with something labeled as Creme Brulee, but still is. As it gets warmer, the sweetness mellows leaving you with a roasty chocolate body with a vanilla finish.

For a Stout at 10% it goes down very smooth, but more than a glass would be too much. A tasty dessert very which went very well with vanilla ice cream.

Bottled on 6/11/13
Poured into a standard tulip glass.

Appearance:(4)
Pours a thick, impenetrable black with a dark tan, 2.5 fingers tall head. The head has some decent retention and loves light lacing along the sides of the glass.

Aroma: (3.5)
Immediately upon pouring, your nostrils are assaulted by an overwhelming scent of intensely sweet vanilla and creamy, slightly tart smelling custard and not much else. As beer warms, the sweet facade starts to open up, allowing some sweet chocolate notes to surface. A very light alcohol presence cuts through the layers of vanilla as well.

Taste: (3.5)
Very similar to the nose, you're struck first by very sweet cream and vanilla. Building alongside the sweetness, is a faintly herbal twang of hops. Behind this hop presence, is a thick, creamy chocolate malt coating that resides on your palate up until the lightly bitter, off dry finish. Long lingering notes of creamy chocolate, bitter espresso bean and even more vanilla. The 9.5% ABV is hidden pretty well.

Mouthfeel: (4)
Thick and very creamy with moderate to high carbonation.

Overall: (3.75)
Wow, this beer is extraordinarily sweet and intense, just like the desert it is named after; It truly is uncanny how strikingly similar the aroma is to actual Creme Brulee. I was hoping that some of the stout elements would be a bit more forward in the aroma, but they definitely shine through in the finish of the beer. Overall, this beer is too intensely sweet for my tastes, but I can definitely see this beer as a fitting after dinner treat. Very unique.

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

Tall light tan head tops a pitch black beer. Great retention and lacing.

Heavy caramel in the aroma. Very sweet. Not much else to mention its hard to get past the caramel sweetness.

Intense dark roasted malt in the flavor. Toffee, caramel, chocolate and coffee. More bitter than I expected.

Heavy, thick velvety mouthfeel with a delicate carbonation.

A decent beer, but I got sick of it pretty quick. If you're in the mood for something really heavy with intense flavor, this may hit the spot.

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle with a Sothern Tier Crown.

A- Pours a dark brown with a thin tan head

S- Cream, Vanilla, Very dessrt like

T- Vanilla, chocolate, and a slight coffee finish.

D- Full in the mouth, coating.

I hate sweet beers. This is a sweet one. This is dessert. I knew it coming in, and I love Creme Brulee, so I enjoyed this one. Can you really call this a bear? I would rather drink this than eat the real thing.

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

Bomber poured into a stemless wine glass.

A-Black, opaque beer, very opaque and very black. Poured no head to speak of, though attractive light-brown bubbles appeared with the glass was swirled.

S-Thick with vanilla, be it vanilla bean, vanilla pudding, or vanilla candle. An almost harshness was hiding beneath it, perhaps a slight alcoholic harshness.

T-Overwhelmingly vanilla. However, as I sorted through the vanilla flavors, I was able to find some dry roasty malt underneath, pushing through when it was able. The harsh alcohol in the nose was not present in the flavor, instead showing through as a smooth alcohol, fading into a nice, strong hop bitterness into the end. (Did I even sense some barely perceptible hop flavor? Maybe.) Finishes with a pronouned vanilla, semi-sweet.

M-Slick, full body. Feels like drinking an oil spill (though probably tastes better). Viscous on the glass and within my mouth. Carbonation was low, perhaps a bit too low.

D-Moderate, due partly to it's immenseness. The strong, at times overwhelming vanilla to hijack the rest of the beer's flavors, but in the end still helped provide this beer its unique character. Enjoy as a desert wine, and share the bomber.

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown color with a one-finger khaki shaded head. It certainly looks like a stout, that's for sure.

S: HOLY SHIZNIT. The level of vanilla, caramel, and cream I pick up on the nose is absolutely ridiculous. Of course, the sugar level is probably ridiculous, but I don't care. The aroma is amazing.

T: The flavors, however, aren't quite amazing. Having said that, this is probably the most caramel-forward brew I've ever had. Seriously, there's so much caramel and vanilla, it's fuckin' ridiculous. No balance between the sweet and bitter qualities at all. But honestly? I kind of like it, even if the sweetness burns the palate.

M: I'd really like the feel to be fuller/creamier to properly support all of the over-the-top sweetness. Because of that, this is *VERY* hard to drink. The low carbonation doesn't help it feel less cloying, either.

O: SAH-FUCKING-WEET. Sure, it's actually flavor is nice, but this is so hard to imbibe it's not even funny. Share this with about 4-6 people and you'll thank me later.

3.62/5  rDev -7.4%

Purchased from the Blatz Beer Cave in Milwaukee, WI. Poured gently into a snifter, this beer was black with a thin tan head. Aroma is of caramelized sugar and taffy; it really does smell just like creme brulee. Full bodied with a smooth mouth feel, this beer had over-the-top flavors of burnt sugar, vanilla and cream. It taste a little too much like real creme brulee. I'm not saying that is necessarily bad, just that 22oz. is a lot of it to drink in one sitting. And I split the bottle with my fiancee. It's definitely a sipper.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company