Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.
Reviews: 1,373 | Hads: 4,248
3.52/5  rDev -10.4%

Wow, awesome aroma for this beer. Smells like butterscotch, caramel, and vanailla. Really nice pour, medium tan head. Flavor was very good, but got to be a little too sweet for me. The vanilla, in particular, was a little too overpowering for me. Bomber bottle is way too much for me. Really unique brew.

3.52/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Split a 650ml bottle with my wife. Served in a snifter 4/20/2015.

A- Darker brown body, opaque, thick brown head with excellent retention time, fair amount of lacing feeding a thick, creamy film and collar.

S- Smells of pure sugar and vanilla bean aroma. That's all it is. It's very authentic, but it's very rich and sweet.

F- A tough one to drink more than a few ounces of, but it's very impressively vanilla-forward with some roasted, burnt malt. It pretty much tastes like what you'd expect. Very intense vanilla bean sweetness.

M- Medium bodied, as stated above, tough to drink due to how sweet it is. But otherwise it's put together reasonably well, good carbonation.

O- Jeezus, this is very sweet and not all that easy to drink. Not a favourite of mine by any means, but it is an interesting concept that they've taken to such an extreme.

3.52/5  rDev -10.4%

2 year old bottle of Creme Brulee held onto by my old coworker for me to drink with my old bossman. My fault for brewing a terrible beer with a creme brulee tea, my old bossman's least favorite ever decision of mine.

Black with big creamy head.. Smells delightful, creamy, sweet, sugary.. A little too sweet and thick, but overall, not a bad beer, a bit chocolatey. Tough to get down on. No alcohol to this big beer, dominated by the thick sweetness.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

A-Pours a very deep,pitch black with a minimal,sandy brown head that resulted in a thin wispy,film on the glass.The initial pour revealed a discouraging lack of viscosity.

S-Butterscotch,toffee,vanilla bean and light roasted malts on the nose with a decent amount of lactose coming through.

T-Burnt sugar,more vanilla,baked custard and a creamy,alcohol taste similar to Irish cream.Some synthetic syrupy qualities also.Like the Monin flavored syrups you put in coffee.

M-Thin and lacking in the creaminess I would have expected from this beer.

D-A little too sweet and cloying to be anything other than a slow-sipping,split a bomber for dessert,one and done.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Fitting appearance for the style. Opaque dark brown, almost black, with a heavy and thick tan head.

Smell: Smell is the standout feature here, I noticed the caramel and vanilla aroma as I was pouring it. Smelled like candy. Normally I'd find this a bit offputting, but I did pay for "creme brulee" stout.

Taste: The alcohol is a bit overpowering for my taste, hard to notice the caramel/vanilla (other than the smell) or even the coffee notes of the stout. I was expecting something a little sweeter.

Mouthfeel: Feel the alcohol sting a bit, but otherwise nothing notable. Stoutlike.

Overall: I was disappointed with this one. Admittedly, stouts are not my favorite styles of beer but I've had enough of them to understand the style. Thought the beer smelled great but was disappointed with the taste, the alcohol was not masked and overpowered the beer.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

22oz bottle (bottled 7/13/2011) poured into a snifter. Pours a pretty thin dark brown w/ a sliver of tan head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma is - well, unique. Burnt creme? Vanilla, caramel, roasted marshmallow.

Taste is syrupy sweet w/ a dark roastiness in the background. Vanilla extract, burnt marshmallows, egg custard, and condensed sweetened milk that's been left on the stove too long.

Overall, simply not a favorite. It's different, for sure - but not a beer I'll be drinking again. Bottom line, it's too sweet.

On tap at grinder's bar

Pours a very dark black. A nice cinnamon brown head

Smells of coffee and caramel with a sweet chocolate.. maybe even a little bit like a creme brulee.

The taste is spot on what I remember a creme brulee tasting like (it has been several years). Velvety chocolate and caramel followed with vanilla and cocoa a nice roastiness to it too. Very sweet can hardly taste the alcohol.

It has about on average mouthfeel for its style smooth and only lightly carbonated a touch on the thick side for me though.

Would only drink this as an desert or maybe a night cap very nice sweet taste but just far to rich for what I would actually want in a beer.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

Bomber poured into my Deschutes snifter, Crème Brûlée is an inky brownish black with a small, tight and creamy tan head that leaves very light, scattered lace.

Smell is strong and sweet, caramelized sugar and vanilla for sure, butterscotch, some coffee and light plasticy phenols and clean alcohol.

Taste is also very strong, bittersweet and nutty Similar to the aroma, Southern Tier definitely hit the mark for crème brûlée beer with this one. The lactose and caramel give make it eerily resemblent of a Starbucks Caramel Macchiato, which is not something I'm really into. While it may not be for everyone, I enjoyed it enough, although one bottle was plenty, as it was thick, sugary beer with really robust flavor.

Mouthfeel is sugary and slick, with a medium heavy body in the mouth but heavy in the stomach.

Drinkability is pretty good, not as scary as I feared, it wasn't the best thing in the world, but it worked well enough. Something to bust out every once in a while, I'll try cellaring my other bottle for a year and see what happened, as I'm really not sure what to expect, it probably will barely budge.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

Finally cracking this one open. Been staring at me awhile.

Appearance- Black. Ok, maybe just really, really dark brown. Whatever. It's got about a quarter inch of tan head.

Smell- Lots of stuff going on. Roasty, chocolaty, some vanilla. Almost nutty. Toffee and burnt sugar.

Taste- Sweetness. Just sweet as all hell. Toffee. Sugar, candy. Werther's Originals, or possibly french toast. Almost a sweet maple. A little roast? Look, it's all glazed sugar.

Mouthfeel- Surprisingly light carbonation, not too heavy.

Overall- It's too damned sweet. Just unreal. But it's also very interesting and original.

A for effort. Not so much for execution. I like some of these Blackwater beers, but this one is too damned sweet.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

I don't know what to make of this beer.
At first it's a bit like an iced carmel coffee with cream-- then after a while it's a bit like a cross between the heavily creamed coffee and a stout-- then the vanilla powers through with hops bitterness. I'm trying to come to a conclusion.

It looks nice and pale dark brown black. A small tightly knit head but short lived.
A diminutive nose radiating hints of vanilla, caramel and hops.

The flavor is where the question marks bubble up.
Bitter hops, then the vanilla commingled with caramel all wrapped up in a sweet toasted malt wrapper.

The mouthfeel is curious-- if I was blindfolded-- yes, I'd identify it as some sort of alcoholic beverage but I might not claim it's a beer. It feels like a thin syrup not a beer.

At first I declared too much effervescence-- but now as the bottle's about to be drained the bubbles have gone down and the beer has settled some. So the "light syrup" is the more obvious.

An interesting brew. Now the question is: would I come back for another bottle (of it)?

Worth trying but don't walk a mile for it.

3.49/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Serving: 22 Ounce bottle. Felt it might be alittle much for such a sweet beer. Recommend sharing with a partner or such.

Appearance: Nice dark typical milk stout color with a brown tint to it.

Smell: Sweet and alluring. Gives you a good idea of how it is going to taste.

Taste: Taste as sweet as it smells. A little more than my taste but my wife enjoyed and she hates stouts.

Mouthfeel: Like a typical stout. Sorry for the lack of words.

Overall: Good beer for a relaxing night to enjoy with someone on a cool night. Like I said slightly too sweet for me. But good for someone not use to stouts.

3.49/5  rDev -11.2%

Dark brown to black body with a small tan head. Almost no retention. A little bit of thin lacing is left behind on the glass.

Smells nice, mostly of vanilla. A little bit of sweetness like maple syrup.

Taste is also dominated by vanilla bean and some roasted malts. The vanilla combined with roasted malts actually does taste a lot like creme brulee (excuse my lack of accents). Once again, there is a slight syrupy taste here, but still an interesting and good beer. Burnt sugar is definitely a component, increasing the likeness between this beer and the actual dessert. Very sweet.

Pretty thin mouthfeel with very little booziness in it.

This beer tastes a lot like the dessert that is its namesake, but it is just too sweet to be something I really want to drink more than a few sips of.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

A: Pours a dark brown-to-black. Plenty of carbonation with a 1/2 inch head.

S: It smells exactly what I wanted it to smell like. aramel and vanilla. Wonderful.

T: Vanilla and caramel to begin. Sweetness in the middle. The ending hop bitterness is unbalanced. Too much.

M: Not heavy or 'chewy' at all. Surprisingly light.

D: A great dessert beer.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured in to brandy snifter.

A - Dark brown with a very small amount of espresso coloured head.

S - Very sweet. Vanilla, molasses, some chocolate and brown sugar.

T - Extremely sweet, as the nose indicated. Vanilla and caramel dominate the palate. Some very light chocolate notes come through in the background.

M - Medium body; lightly carbonated.

D - Sweetness makes it somewhat difficult to drink more than just a few ounces. Given that this one comes in a bomber, I definitely have to share this one.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

I poured this into a tall pint glass. It poured a midnight black and has a light khaki head. It smelled of vanilla, a deep roasted malt, toffee, and butterscotch. The flavor was very, very sweet and had accents of vanilla and was overall very much like butterscotch, which continued into the after taste. It wasn't the heaviest of stouts and was medium bodied as far as stouts go. I split this 650ml bottle with a friend and even then it was a little much. It is too sweet and drinking one of these would be pretty hard to do. It's very much like toffee and butterscotch and I'm not a huge fan of those flavors, but it does taste good. It's a little difficult to gauge due to the sweetness but it is pretty good.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

This caught my eye at the store, especially coming from ST.

Pours so dark a brown I will call it a light black (Maybe German Chocolate?) . The head is only average and there is less lacing the one would expect.

The smell is a huge hit of caramel the first few whiffs, with some hits of vanilla and honey graham cracker as it warms, interesting.

The Flavor is creamy and super sweat at first the caramel and vanilla is overpowering towards the end i notice some roasted barley ad it finishes with a hint of bitterness.

The mouthfell is light but milky, overall pretty good. Im glad i tried this, I cant say its entirely my cup of tea being to sweet, but a cool beer to try.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

As soon as you open the bottle you are hit in the face with caramel. I said 'holy moly' this is gonna be interesting.

Pours a black, motor oil like texture, smell of sweet cream, caramel, and sugars just keep pouring out.

Smells like a ton of sugary caramel, a bit of alcohol heat, and just takes over the room with these aromas.

Tastes like creme brulee, which isn't all great in a beer. It's kind of a mix between a lot of alcohol heat, and a ton of sugar. It's a little off balance, not really well blended - but still somewhat drinkable. Not as great as the Mokah & Javah.

Overall, too sweet for me. Pleanty strong, as all the other Blackwater Souther Tier's are, but this just wasn't my favorite of them all.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

A massive wall of vanilla cream hits my nose just after I vigorously pour this beer; smells more like desert than just about anything, it is actually more concentrated than an actual crème brûlèe. The head form an initially three-finger thick, frothy, lightly browned, tan colored head in my 25cl tulip glass. The vanilla is just so overwhelming and loud, you really can't smell much else; luckily the vanilla note itself is not overly one dimensional, it is full enough that I am sure the brewer used actual vanilla beans (and a ton of them at that). If you like sweet and vanilla then this aroma is good, luckily I was ready for desert so this beer is fulfilling that urge so far. After warming up a bit the aroma takes on a touch of nuttiness and a butterscotch note becomes a bit more prominent.

Thick and rich up front with enough of a viscous body to make this a sipping brew; to be honest though it is not quite as rich and full as the aroma led me to believe. The vanilla notes are definitely far and away the dominant note here in the flavor as well, but some other flavors manage to assert themselves just enough to be noticeable. This finishes with a touch of hot alcohol, that in combination with the vanilla makes me think of Bourbon. Sweet, in fact incredibly sweet, though again not quite as much as the aroma might have suggested. The vanilla flavors contribute or bring out notes of butterscotch, Bourbon, . Not overly roasted, but some roast malt flavors seem to add a touch to the finish with a bit of bitterness. As this beer warms there is a slight nuttiness to the flavor that is a bit like browned butter and the flavors definitely lean towards burnt as the beer rolls across the palate.

I knew this beer was going to be a sweet, sticky, incredibly vanilla laden beer coming into this. For that reason I waited until I was really wanting dessert to have it. The aroma definitely satisfied any dessert fix that I might have wanted, but "strangely" I find the flavors not quite rich enough as this could use more roast malt flavors and a thicker, more complex malt base. That strangely in that last sentence is important, because if I was not ready for the overbearing vanilla and sweetness here I likely would have found this beer a sickly sweet, train wreck of an Imperial Stout; properly forewarned & with the right occasion, this beer, while overly simplistic, is not quite half bad and is even enjoyable if had in small doses.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours pitch black with no head into my tulip glass. Smells just like creme brulee. The taste is just too much. Syrupy and overly sweet with an artificial vanilla aftertaste, more vanilla, molasses, candy sugar, vanilla, yikes. A dessert beer for sure, and no need to put it in a 22 oz. bottle. Would have been fine with 4 or 5 ounces. Just too cloyingly sweet. Certainly unique, though, and I would like to pour this on ice cream some time.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

A - Pours a very dark brown with more light getting through than expected. Some cola brown and a hint of red are visible in the light. With this being an Imperial Stout at 10%, I guess I expect a deeper black. This is a beer about bending the rules a little so I guess expectations don't apply so much here. The tan head can only muster to a height of a thick cap and seems to vanish pretty quickly. Moderate amounts of lace remain in the glass.

S - Aroma has no shortage of butterscotch and vanilla pudding. Actually, that seems to be the extent of the aroma unless you dig deep to find the other hidden gems. Light chocolate / cocoa followed by a whiff of alcohol tuck everything in. This is a very sweet aroma that starts out very pleasing but gets a little cloying after a while.

T - Now things are starting to look up for the Creme Brulee. Butterscotch really dominates the flavor but it quickly starts to get more complex and inviting. Milk chocolate comes along with a smooth vanilla flavor. Alcohol is definitely noted in the flavor and keeps it on the warm side. The end brings out some dark fruit (cherry anyone?). All through this beer there seems to be a hint of smoke but its almost impossible to actually single out. Pretty sure it's there though.

M - Has a fairly full body with mild carbonation that compliments the beer well. Finish is...well...sweet. No other way to say it. The residual sweetness stays on the palate for a long time.

D - Drinkability is decent. The 10% of alcohol is hidden pretty well and I had no problem putting down a pint. After said pint, it gets a bit harder to handle. Still drinkable but starts to become cloyingly sweet at the end of a bomber. Glad I finally got to crack one of these open and kudos to Southern Tier for another beer that pushes the envelope just a little further. Not sure I'd seek this one out again unless the recipe was tweaked a little. Suggestions: 1) 12 ounce bottles. 2) More foam. 3) Tone down the aroma or make it more complex. It's a little too one-sided. 4) 12 ounce bottles.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

Reviewed on 8/15/08. Bottle. I have been anticipating this beer for awhile, because of the name of course. It actually didn't disappoint! This is a very interesting and unique beer. For that alone, it is worth trying! Anyway, to the beer...pours black with a small light tan head. Aroma is quite powerful!! Lots of cream, caramel, vanilla, and butterscotch. Flavor is pretty similar: lots of vanilla, cream, coffee ice cream, white sugar. Very sweet, obviously, and heavy on the palate. This is a very good beer if sampled in small amounts. So split a bottle with friends for dessert!
7/4/8/3/15 (3.7/5)

3.47/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from 22oz bomber into an oversized 20oz pint glass. Heavy handed pour yields minimal 1 finger lite tan head that falls at terminal velocity, mild lacing. Beverage pours midnight black, slight ruby near the edges.

Smell- Intoxicating, caramelized/burnt sugar, vanilla. Is it possible to smell syrupy? Slight booziness.

Taste- Wow very interesting. Vanilla, Caramelized sugar, faint coco, Tons more caramelized sugar. Overly sweet. It really does taste like creme brulee. Slight hop bitters in the finish. On a how I really feel note, this is way too sweet for me. After half a glass the novelty wears off.

Mouthfeel- Smooth and Creamy, yet also thick viscous, heavy and cloying. This would be nice poured over ice cream or served along side a hot double espresso.

Drinkability- Marked down because it is IMO too sweet, and at 10% how many can one have.

3.47/5  rDev -11.7%

Not really my thing, and I'm a big fan of the seasonal flavored offerings from Southern Tier (the pumpkin Warlock stout in particular). Smells great, I'll give it that much. But it's too sweet on the front-end, with a weird aftertaste.

3.47/5  rDev -11.7%

Who wouldn't try a stout called Creme Brulee on tap?

Pours a rich golden color with a frothy head.

Smells very sweet, what you'd expect. Like the dessert was just melted into the glass.

Taste is sugary, stouty, and of course creme brulee.

A little too sweet, it's a good sipping beer. Perfect for dessert or a nightcap.

3.47/5  rDev -11.7%

A - Pours blackish brown, but not completely opaque, with a brown head.

S - Well, like creme brulee. Southern Tier seems to have worked a lot on perfecting that scent. It doesn't precisely translate to the taste.

T - Like a meaty hand jamming vanilla beans down my gullet. There's a little maltiness and coffee, so it isn't quite like drinking vanilla extract. Maybe a teeny bit of hops in there.

M - Thick and... surprise... syrupy. And I pronounce that surrupy not seerupy.

Notes - Had a small amount at a tasting at the Charleston Beer Exchange. Nice in a small dole but tastes like something that goes on pancakes more than in pint glasses. I like sweet beers, but I don't think I could make it through more than a pint.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company