Join our email list →

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States | website

Milk / Sweet Stout | 10.00% ABV

Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.
Reviews: 1,390 | Hads: 4,330
3.44/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Review from a 1 year aged bottle. Pours an opaque dark brown with thin tan head and minimal lacing. Smell is pretty much like creme brulee - caramelized sugar and vanilla. Taste is sickly sweet. Smooth mouthfeel. This is the definition of a dessert beer. When I had a bomber of this myself I struggled to get through this because of the sweetness. This bomber was shared among a few people and I even struggled a little bit to get through my glass. It is delicious, but can only be handled in small quantities. I would like to try to use this beer as a topping for ice cream.

3.43/5  rDev -12.7%

A 650 mL bottle purchased at Sam the Beer Man's in Binghamton, NY.

A: The stout is oily black, a singularity that absorbs all light shone into it. The ale lacks an appreciable head, what lingers is thin and white in color.

S: The nose is syrupy sweet with caramel, vanilla, and butter rum mixing with booze. The aroma is very interesting.

T: The stout is incredibly sweet, thick and full of flavor. More butter rum, vanilla and caramel mix with burnt grains and coffee. The ale is very boozy, reeking of alcohol with each sip. Butter rum flavors last.

M: The mouthfeel is sweet but abrasive. The flavor profile is cloyingly sweet at times, while the alcohol burns. An interesting ale that I was happy to share with ksak.

D: One half of a bomber is enough for me.

3.43/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

A:Pitch black with very thin head that disappeared almost immediately.

S:Creamy carmel, vanilla, butterschotch. Real sweet smell!

T: Immediately pick up lots of carmel and vanilla. Malty milkshake finish. It does kind of taste like Creme Brulee.

M: Very creamy mouthfeel. Alcohol is well hidden by the sweetness.

D: A tad too sweet for me but it goes down smooth.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance. Pours a deep, deep brown with a thin, light tan head.

Smell. Huge butterscotch and sweet vanilla custard. Just a hint of roasty malt and booze.

Taste. Sweet butterscotch, a little toasty malt and a bit of sponge toffee.

Mouthfeel. Medium + body with medium-low carbonation.

Overall. Sweet, but not as much as the smell would make you think. Something seems artificial here. Glad I tried it but not my thing.

3.42/5  rDev -13%

had this on tap @ sunset grill in brighton

looked great. nice tan head that stuck for a while.

smelled great. tons of vanilla and caramel/butterscotch smells. Slight roasted malt scents. Brown sugar maybe? Smells awesome.

taste is very similar to the smell. sweet sweet sweet malts....vanilla first, then caramel with a subtle roasted malt backbone. Can't pickup any hops here really. I kind of think they killed it with all the sickly sweet malts here. I understand it's what they're aiming for, but I think it doesn't make this beer all that great.

Drinkability is terrible. I could barley stomach one of these, let alone more. It's just too damn sweet to quaff.

Overall- I'd use this with a dessert recipe....in a reduction or something like that. It's a pretty rough beer, but it's certainly worth trying. I can't think of any other beer like this.

3.42/5  rDev -13%

A - Pours dark brown or black with a brownish hue on the edges when held up to light. small head that dissipates quickly.

S - Vanilla, caramel, maple syrup, butterscotch some very mild bourbon. Smells very good.

T - Follows the nose but not nearly as well as I'd like. Yes all the sugary components are there the vanilla, carmel, Maple syrup and butterscotch and almost not bourbon. Pretty disappointing as it doesnt live up to the smell.

M - Thin, and sugary

D - To Sweet one is enough for me

On-tap into goblet.

Appearance: Pours a jet black color with a very small head with a little bit of lacing.

Smell: Well, it smells like creme brulee. Very appetizing if you like the dessert.

Taste: Has a strong roasted malt backbone with the creme brulee lingering in the background. I expected more of that flavor. Toward the end, it started to become a little tougher to drink.

Mouthfeel: Has a nice, full body.

Drinkability: As I said, it got a little tougher to drink and the glass empties. Plus the high alcohol content knocks it down for me slightly. Good to have one at a time, sometimes.

3.42/5  rDev -13%

Black colored beer with a poorly colored (a bit too light) tan head. Nose is a bit off balance with caramel and vanilla bean hints, chocolate and milk. Flavor is interesting and unique, with flavors completely dominated by non-malt ingredients (lactose, vanilla beans,) with other light notes of chocolate and mocha. Kind of like it, don't want to pour it out like Choklat. Pretty tasty.

3.41/5  rDev -13.2%

Bottle courtesy of hwwty4, thanks again!

Pours a very dark black color, with a slight white head.

Aromas are interesting, but not really that beer like. To me, it reminds me of Bailey's Irish Cream, mixed with some caramel. It's not a bad smell at all, but it's really unexpected, and too sweet for my liking.

Taste is creamy and thick feeling. Quite sweet, with some caramel, vanilla, and burnt chocolate. Alcohol is present, and cuts the sweetness rather well. Finish is hot, with a slight bitterness. Beer doesn't taste quite as artificial as the smell.

Mouthfeel is very good. Quite thick, and full feeling.

Drinkability is OK. But I am a bit torn about this one. It's a unique and interesting beer, no doubt about that. But I think it's a bit too much of a sweet novelty for my tastes. I can see why this is liked though...

3.41/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

22 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights when held up to the light. A two finger tan colored head seems to last forever before falling to a thin creamy layer leaving a thick wall of lacing on the sides. Smell is pretty extreme (a bit much actually) vanilla extract, Werther's Original candy, with a touch of smoke. Coffee and butter (blah) with lots of sugar in the nose as well. Taste begins pretty boozy from start to finish with similarities to Amaretto and Bailey's. Lots of lactose and carmelized sugars midway with super sweet white chocolate. Aftertaste is slightly bitter with more vanilla and sugars. I really don't want to know the calories in an entire bottle of this beer, may be quite scary. A big full bodied stout that's silky smooth in the mouth. A surprisingly medium carbonation which I could use less of. This beer is just insane, plain and simple. No way can I finish this bomber tonight, I'd rather not gain a few pounds. Southern Tier makes pretty outrageous beers and this is no exception. This a beer to be shared, hopefully future BA's read these reviews and understand that down the road. Choklat is still the Black Water Series champion in my eyes. I'm not sure this would age well even with the high abv. I just can't see such a "milky" beer improving with time.

3.4/5  rDev -13.5%

Many thanks to Mdaschaf for the chance to taste this long time want. Poured from bottle into my DFH snifter. Pretty much a pitch black color, very little head. Not surprising for a beer this size. Smell- Worthers original! Butterscotch, a candy-like vanilla. Some faint coffee aroma. Vanilla bean prominent. This is the biggest candy smell I have ever had in a beer. Taste- like I am drinking vanilla extract with a Worthers in my mouth. Borderline overpowering candy. I think I miss the chocolate mocha taste I like so much in stouts. This one is 90% vanilla extract, 10% chocolate. I'm a little dissapointed...they could have done so much more with this beer. Its just too one-sided. I can see this be disgusting if it really warmed up (I opened it up out of my cellar at 55 degrees). This is just OK...not in my top echelon of Stouts.

3.4/5  rDev -13.5%

A: Very deep brown, basically becoming black. A lighter, offwhite head puffs up like a puffy marshmallow.

S: Heavy aroma - butterscotch takes it, followed by vanilla extract, with lactose notes like heavy cream (actually rather similar to a vanilla coffee creamer), and a touch of malt roast.

T: Very sweet, and maybe a little too much so. Butterscotch again, vanilla, a bit hot with alcohol, and something medicinal (like... cherry cough syrup???) starts to poke through as it warms.

M: A rich and creamy body, with a shimmering carbonation that works nicely with it.

D: A little on the fence. A small serving would likely go over just fine - but likely nothing much over a 10 oz. snifter of it, at most. It starts off great - scent is appealing (in a candy craving sort of way, I suppose), the flavour starts off quite nice, and body is good. As the end of the glass nears, it becomes more cloying, the flavours overwhelm the palate a bit, and the novelty starts to fade. Well worth the try, and perhaps a good candidate to share with company who like such things, but not one I can easily finish 22 oz. of.

3.4/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

One year old 22 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A - Very dark, mahogany beer with very small cream head that instantly disappears. Possibly the result of aging since there are a few that reported a large foamy head.

S - Vanilla is clearly at the forefront which is expected, followed with molasses and touch of coffee.

T - Vanilla is dominant out of the gate followed by significant booziness. The beer finishes with a buttery, chocolaty, bitter aftertaste. Cold this was tolerable, but after the beer warmed up, the sweetness was just overwhelming with a bitter aftertaste that wasn't balanced.

M - Full mouth feel as expected. Light carbonation.

O - I really like the vanilla in this beer but the booze, sweetness and the bitter aftertaste are too much for me, especially when this warms up. This needs to be more balanced.

3.4/5  rDev -13.5%

A-Body is a dark brown almost black color. Pours with a small creamy toffee colored head that eventually subsides to a thick collar and retains well from there. When held up to the light red hues can be seen shining through.

S-This has to be the most potent smell I have ever found in a beer. Smell is very sweet and dominated by toffee, caramel, and cream.

T-Upfront is a bit of roasted malt and a toffee sweetness. A big blast of sweet caramel and toffee come through for the finish along with a strange creamy flavor and a bit of alcohol astringency. Left to linger is a big roasted malt bitterness and some sweetness. The taste is interesting and novel but is borderline cloying.

M- Medium carbonation and a big, thick, chewy mouthfeel.

D-This beer has a potent smell, very thick mouthfeel, and an off the wall taste. All of which are decent...but let me explain my drinkability score...Well I bought this beer before I tried it on tap...and trying it on tap made me wait a lot longer to open it up. Its not bad its just way too much (esp a 22oz bottle). Its hard to finish a pint of this let alone the whole 22oz. It's my dad's b-day and I let him pick something from my stout/porter collection and this is what he chose (he loved it...it's one of his favorites). Not my favorite ST brew...I would much rather have Uber Sun...and I found Creme Brulee out this summer NOT Uber Sun.

3.4/5  rDev -13.5%

22oz. bottle poured into an imperial Guiness pint glass.

A-Pours a opaque black with a two finger white head that lingers until the second drink. No real lacing present on the glass. Carbonation appears a bit too high for this style.

S-Holy jeepers! Dessert in a bottle, smells sweeet! Butterscotch, vanilla, sugar and chocolate...not much roasted smell at all for a stout. Smells like a white russian, with way too much Kahlua.

T-Tastes like it smells, loads of butterscotch and vanilla flavor. Extremely sweet, lots a sugar taste. Very unique flavor and very pronounced

M-Thick, but not heavy. The mouthfeel really contributes to the flavor ecspecially the after taste. Very creamy reminds me of drink creamer for coffee.

D-I have never had a beer that tastes like this. It reminds me of melting vanilla ice cream into butterscotch brandy and cream. Super thick and sweet. A on par beer, but I don't think I could drink more than one. Definetely a good beer to share with 1 or 2 friends for dessert. Southern Tier does a good job with this series in bringing the flavors to the forefront, but its a bit much in this brew.

22oz into a Tulip.

A: Deep brown, small tan head that's frothy. Settles very quickly.

S: Sweet sugar, huge caramel, and cream. Yeah, it smells like a creme brulee.

T: Wow. Freaking creme brulee with some dark chocolate and rich black coffee. Extremely sweet and sugary. This is about all this one has to offer.

M: Thick, tacky and chewy. As it should be.

D: Way too sweet for me. Can't get past that thick sweetness and caramel levels. Wish it were a little more milk stout, a little less creme brulee.

3.4/5  rDev -13.5%

Deep mocha brown with a brown sugar head. Smells like sweet coffee, caramel, vanilla, and toffee. Certainly gives away the name when you take a sniff. First sip is incredibly sweet. Too sweet, and drinkability takes a hit here. A liquid desert certainly, but not much of a beer. No need for a bomber of this stuff, the sweetness kills it for me after a few sips.

3.39/5  rDev -13.7%

650 mL bottle, around $8, poured into an oversize wine glass.

a-black with a reddish tint, a 1/2 inch of head that dissipates very quickly only a ring of thin foam remains. little lacing

s- vanilla, butterscotch, chocolate, sugar, slight coffee. a bit overpowering.

t- just as it smells. strong and sweet vanilla and toffee soak the palate at first. black licorice and caramel next. This is way too sweet. A little coffee and a little help the cloying taste, but not very much. It's not very well balanced at all.

m- creamy, medium body, sticky. okay carbonation. syrupy after taste.

o- this is definitely a dessert beer and a hell of a specialty. It's unlike anything I've ever had. In my opinion, it's fantastic for the style, but it's not for me. I can only take it in small, small, very small doses. Way too sweet for me.

3.38/5  rDev -14%

Picked this one up out of curiosity. I tend to like some sweet beers, so let's see how this does. 22oz into a snifter.

A: Pours black with a small light tan head.

S: Smells like straight butterscotch. Not sure how I feel about that.

T: Taste is a little more held back, with big notes of vanilla, butterscotch, caramel, lactose. Slightly astringent hop bitterness gives a little balance. Astringent roasty note on the end.

M: Between medium and thick-bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: Sort of an odd beer. It would taste better if the roasted malt/hop bitterness weren't as astringent. Not very drinkable.

22 oz. bomber poured into Stone nonic glass

Oh. My. God.
This is probably the most bizarre beer I've yet to have.
Immediately after cracking open the bottle my (stuffy) nose was pummeled by the intense vanilla/butterscotch scent that then went on to displace all of the oxygen in the room.

Appearance: Pretty average. Nice head that hung around for awhile, decent color as well. Exceptional lacing draped down the glass.

Smell: I don't even know where to begin. Vanilla, vanilla, vanilla. Smelled fantastic at first, but now (hours afterwards) I wish I could get it out of my nose.

Taste: Tastes exactly what I would expect a creme brulee beer to taste like. I regret drinking so much, though. This is definitely a sipper and I wish I would have taken less of a portion. Vanilla, butterscotch, roasted maltyness and caramel.

Mouthfeel: Average as well, not as thick as I like a stout, but not thin by any means. Creamy.

Southern Tier: Creme Brulee Stout
22 oz. bottle, poured into a tulip.
Appearance: Pours pitch black with a medium fluffy off-white head that fades down into a small cap, surprising retention for such a big beer.
Odor: Well surprise, surprise, this sucker smells like a creme brulee! Candy corn, caramel, vanilla, cream and sugar, some faint hints of solvent alcohol in the background. Smell is thick and sticky.
Consistency: Fat and not very sassy, full body with very low carbonation, this is an extremely smooth and chewy beer. It feels like this should be a bit more bubbly to break up the huge flavors and body. Not nearly as syrupy as other ST offerings, but there's definitely some element of that here.
Flavor: Dark chocolate, burnt sugar and cream flavors are out in front of the pack, leading the charge, faint herbal/dank Columbus flavor and bitterness holding the line. Vanilla flavors swish in, chocolate flavors turn roastier, finishes, leaving the mouth coated with syrupy burnt sugar/caramel & coffee ground flavors.

I'm really not quite sure what to make of this beer. On one hand, it is awfully sweet, definitely beyond my threshhold. On the other, it is called Creme Brulee, which I hear is pretty sweet, so you can't really ding it for that. Does it have any glaring flaws, other than sacrificing drinkability for novelty? Not really. Check it out, if it's your bag, hoorah, if it isn't, no big loss. I can say that it's not nearly as good at the rest of the beers in the Blackwater Series.

3.37/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours very dark, almost black with a reddish brown hue about the edges. Not very much for head even with a fairly aggressive pour. The small ring of head that did remain still leaves decent spotty lacing for what it's worth.

Smells yummy. An overabundance of caramel and butterscotch fill the nose. Subtle hints of spices and vanilla too. Very good smelling beer.

Somewhat of a let down from what I was expecting from the nose. Bitter butterscotch with some smooth vanilla base. Somewhat astringent on the backside which kind of ruins the smoothness this beer should have.

Mouthfeel is semi viscous with little carbonation. Bit acidic.

Overall a good beer. But a bit of a let down, as Southern Tier's other stouts are outstanding.

3.37/5  rDev -14.2%

Alright, here we go. This is from notes but I had this on vacation over the summer.

I had heard about it, and had tried other ST brews, and thought I had to give it a shot because I have been impressed with their Imperial Series thusfar. Being a stout-lover, I was a little disappointed.

The appearance and aroma were spot on for their goal. It smelled like the burnt sugar and carmelization that you would get from a real creme brulee. But the taste was far too sweet for my liking. Splitting a bomber between two people was tough. I could see this being a much more effective brew served in small (maybe 5oz?) servings after dinner as a dessert.

Overall, Its very interesting and worth a shot if you want to indulge. Split it with a few friends after a nice meal, and you can savor it.

3.37/5  rDev -14.2%

Appearance - almost no head on this one, very fine lacing left, basically black in appearance,

Smell - very clear smell of vanilla and caramel (almost like a werthers original), even smelled like a glass of amaretto to an extent,

Taste - sweet!, but it did remind me of a Creme Brulee, with the strong taste of a sweet caramel mixed with a heavy dose of vanilla,

Mouth feel - some thickness, could have been thicker,

Drinkability - way too sweet so it loses pts in for drinkability, between two people we couldn't finish the glass due to the sweetness of this one.

3.36/5  rDev -14.5%

A - Black. No head and very little lacing. Not quite what I was expecting for an imperial stout.

S - Very unique and delicious. This beer's aroma is definitely it's strongest attribute. Caramel, vanilla, sugar, and booze. Wonderful.

T - Very sweet - perhaps just a tad too much here. Vanilla, caramel, booze, and more caramel. That's about it. The taste is delicious, but really is pretty simple. Not many layers. No hops. No classic malts.

M - Good. Nice and thick, which is what you would expect for a decent imperial stout.

D - Not a whole lot here. It's taken me about 45 minutes to get past half the bomber, and I think that's about as far as I'll get tonight. A very tasty and very interesting and unique beer, but certainly not very drinkable.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company