Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.
Reviews: 1,366 | Hads: 4,209
4.32/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance:1/2 inch head, black in color

Smell: malt and vanilla cream

Taste: vanilla cream--almost like a great french vailla yogurt, chocolate, burnt malt/black coffee especially towards the end

Mouthfeel: smooth, medium heavy in body, and sweet

Drinkability: This one is probably an aquired taste, but I love it. This is the most vanilla I have had in any beer. I do love how it mixes with the burnt malt. I cannot wait to have this again, but at most would have two because of the high ABV. (498 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Pours a deep brown/black with a fluffy tan colored head. Some sticky lacing left as the head dies to a splotchy film.

S: Big Vanilla, Butterscotch, Caramel, Toffee all fighting to get in your nose first. Its an epic battle of sweetness going on in your nostrils.

T: Same as the nose. This beer is straight forward; what you smell is what you get.

M: Full bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Just enough hoppiness to make this a beer.

D: I like to think of this beer as more of a novelty. Its nice to enjoy, but it tastes more like a liqueur than a beer. Not that there's anything wrong with this beer, as I do enjoy drinking it. I just don't see myself going through too much though. I think if they blended a little Jahva with this it would be divine! (765 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +8.9%

I bought a bottle of this tonight and as soon as I popped the cap the whole room filled with a strong vanilla and butterscotch aroma, like a sweet punch in the face. Poured this beer into a snifter glass, the beer pours a dark dark brown with a thin head. The nose is a powerful combination of vanilla, butterscotch, and light coffee. The first sip hits like a ton of bricks with huge vanilla/butterscotch notes mixed with a light hint of alcohol. It really does taste like creme brulee. It's a thick beer, almost chewy mouthfeel. The finish is pleasant with the alcohol sneaking up at the end to finish off the almost too sweet taste. There is definitely no need for dessert if you're drinking this beer, it borders on being too sweet, but would go great with a slice of vanilla cake or custard pie. Overall I would say it's a beer you should definitely put on your list to try since it is so different from most beers you find out there, but be careful...the alcohol sneaks up on you, especially if you drink a bottle yourself. Not a selection you could sit and drink all night, but enjoyable as an after dinner aperitif . (1,124 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +10.2%

The best smelling beer I have ever encountered.Aromas of vanilla butterscotch and mocha.The taste is a little off from the smell and carries more mocha and coffee the the traditional french dessert.I have had it bot on nitro ( I think by mistake but awesome) and reg pour...You never taste the high alcohol content..but more of the same flavors as there Mocha stout..Either way great beer as long as you only have 1 or 2 ...little sweet due to the lactic sugars..great for an appertif or before dinner drink (507 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +5.1%

I had this beer at the Judge's Bench in Ellicott City, MD on a nitrogen pour last year. It is a thick black stout that made the entire bar smell like creme brulee every time one was poured. This beer is so over the top you can completely throw away your preconceived notions of what beer is supposed to taste like before you try this. This is the essence of a dessert beer, you can substitue your dessert with this beer. It goes down very smooth with tons of body and flavor, caramel, vanilla, chocolate dominate with little to no hop character. It's big and it's sweet. With 10% alcohol you won't be having more than one or two even if you have the room in your stomach for it. Overall I would recommend the beer for anyone wanting to try a truly extreme beer. (761 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -32.5%

This is the second beer in the controversy series, thanks to SBALDWIN...and once again, no freshness date.

Poured this bomber into a snifter...another thin head that immediately vanishes. Some minimal root beer cream soda lacing noted on the sides of the glass. Deep brown body with some ruby highlights. Not overly impressive to look at.

Wow! This smells right down my alley. Large doses of burnt sugars, butterscotch, and a hit of bourbonesque alcohol vapors. Light notes of coffee and caramel peeking through the foreground.

It happened again...burnt bitter caramel up front with a super sweet artificial finish. Almost comparable to a rum and vanilla coke. Lots of imitation vanilla all the way through...

I'll sum up the mouthfeel and drinkability together being as though they both fail miserably. There was no body to this beer...it was a watery overcarbonated syrup that is too artificially sweet to be enjoyed.

Simply put...GREAT IDEA=EPIC FAIL!

I don't like the direction that my beer drinking has taken me lately. I'm looking forward to breaking into the cellar soon and bringing out some grade A stout bombs so I can find out if it's the brews or if it's me. (1,176 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -3.3%

Very dark appearance with a beautiful tan head. Smelled like hazelnut, vanilla, and butterscotch candy. Tasted like a fine desert with sweet butterscotch like flavors that would fade away to alcohol as it slowly rolled over the tongue. I would beware of this beer. I see the potential of becoming inebriated without knowing. It was very tasty and could see this beer paired well with a desert like tiramisu or cheesecake. The beer is very unique. Took me back to buying sugar daddies as a kid. (493 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +6.3%

I love Sourthern Tier beers, but I have a friend who argues with me about them all the time. He feels they are all so strong and heavy and weird that they aren't really even beers, but I think you have to take them for what they are - experiments in brewing. This is perhaps true for the Creme Brulee stout more than any other beer.

Its not a session beer. Its not a beer you can pound. You probably won't want more than two in any sitting. But, like a rich dessert, its a great cap to a meal or an evening of drinking other beers and is definitely one of my favorites.

650ml bomber, served cold in a goblet

A: Very dark, with almost no head.

S: The smell is perhaps the best part - strong, authentic creme brulee aroma, like Willy Wonka made a beer. This beer and the Pumking are both olefactory masterpieces.

T: Very, very sweet, with lots of vanilla and a hint of burnt sugar - basically like a sweet creme brulee up front and a hint of coffee bitterness at the end. The total effect is almost overpowering. You wouldn't guess that it's a 10% abv beer.

M: Very thick, but you would probably expect that from a beer with this much taste.

D: I give this beer its lowest score for drinkability because its so sweet and because it will get you loaded really fast if you guzzle it thinking its just sugar. Most people will not want more than one or two of these, but a little bit paired with cheese or a rich dessert its fantastic and a great way to end a meal. (1,470 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -47.7%

I love ST beers, especially all of the other Blackwater Series Stouts but this was way too sugery/desserty. If you love to drink Creme Brulee (CB), you'll love this beer. It tastes exactly like it sounds....exactly. Poured into a DFH snifter, it looks great and you smell the CB immediately. It's just not my cup of tea and I know I'm supposed to consider that in my review so I'm just going to leave it at what I said above. It's like drinking candy. luckily my wife's girl friend liked it so I gave her the rest of the bottle! (528 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -4.1%

Acquired from CrazyNelson this beer is a little out there but really delcious. I did enjoy the flavors of this exceptionally unique beer.

Poured into a footed brand glass as an after dinner drink at around 55 degree this beer poured a black/brown with low viscosity (that which is seen in liquor - which was the prevailent look, smell, taste). There was little head retention from the thick 1/2 inch head.

The smell was of deep amarreto and hazzelnut cream with plenty of honey sugar overtones. There is a lot of malty sugar in the smell in this beer.

The taste is much of the same with the flavors. The first taste is sugar, malt, amaretto, heavy cream, and hazzelnut. The flavors are way strong for any everyday beer but perfect for after dinner.

The mouthfeel is thick, chewy, and malty. You wouldn't like this after a workout, or hot weather but you would love this on a cold day or after a big meal.

The drinkability is a tough cookie to crack. I wouldn't like this beer as a drinking beer at any point in my life - no way would this taste good to start any session; but after dinner this really hit the spot. I loved the intense malt, the huge hazzelnut punch, and the massive sugar overload - it's just what I was crazing after the big dinner with friends! (1,269 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +15.7%

Usual jet black stout color. Very slight tan head on top. Amazingly deep and complex aroma-huge vanilla notes and caramelized sugar. Just insanely like a dish of creme brulee. Flavor is simply fantastic. Massive vanilla sweetness with a hint of rich, creamy chocolate. Heavily caramelized taste. Ever so slight espresso richness. Really comes across as a dessert. Great solid body. Silky smooth. Not a hint of being 10%. Just an incredible beer. Either you love it or hate it-I love it. Have to knock it down a notch as it is so rich and dont see consuming a lot of it. I think this is just a great example of what a brewer can do. MMMmmm. (639 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -9.9%

Crème Brulee Stout's a very dark brown, nearly onyx color. It's not quite opaque. There's a few ruby highlights around the edges, but not many. Sitting atop is a light mocha tan head that's a couple fingers deep. It procrastinates more than I expected in dissipating. It puts up a hearty fight against the 10% abv. Lacing was sticky and on the lighter side.

Given the fact that I could smell this beer as soon as the cap was cracked, there's no question about its strength. It's extremely aromatic. A short whiff reveals a wealth of vanilla bean and sweet caramel. It smells incredibly sweet and certainly nailed that "Crème Brulee" thing. Smell like a dessert? You bet your ass. Sweet chocolate is very prominent. There's a light coffee aroma that's a welcome surprise. The nose is no doubt impressive, but personally, it smells way too sweet. Very novel smelling beer though. No doubt about it.

Crème Brulee is one sweet beer. I don't mean that necessarily in a good way. It is very reminiscent of a dessert. Vanilla bean and caramel are the dominant flavors throughout. Did I mention how incredibly sweet this beer is? Chocolate malts add more sweetness and a pretty good malty flavor to it. I'm picking up a hint of coffee. That's a pretty nice touch, but would be better if it were more pronounced. There's definitely a hop presence that I didn't pick up on the nose. They add a bitter flavor and balance it (a little). Alcohol is very well masked and is barely noticeable. Pretty impressive for 10% abv. It finishes a little bitter, sweet, and a tad dry. It's not bad. Easily above average. But, it's just too sweet to be any better than that.

It features a body that's on the lighter side of medium. It's way too thin. Big badass stouts need big badass bodies. This one doesn't have it. Somehow it's still relatively smooth. Very light carbonation helps it a great deal, but it really needs to be more substantial. Drinkability's pretty average. It's way too sweet and too strong. A bomber of this stuff is too much. It's a flat out struggle to get it all down. My wife happens to like this beer. Where is she dammit?

Crème Brulee Stout's probably my least favorite of Southern Tier's Black Water Series. It's not a bad beer, but is best served in (very) concentrated amounts. It's extremely sweet and dessert-like. The flavor's pretty good the first few sips, but it grows very tiring very quickly. I don't feel quite as strongly about as some do. I definitely don't love it, but I don't hate it either. I definitely feel that it's a novelty that's worth experiencing, even if only once. Hey, if you're available, I still have a little bit of a bomber that I'd love to share. (2,691 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

05/15/09- Purchased at Chucks Wines in Chargin Falls, OH.

Presentation- 22oz bottle with no freshness info. Poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance- Brown colored pour. About a 1/2 inch head which turns into small bubbles. Leaves some light spotting of lace behind.

Smell- Smells dead on like a mix of creme brulee and kalhua. Very nice and potent scent.

Taste- Extremely rich and almost sickeningly sweet. I then looked at the label and it said to drink at 42 degrees rather than 55+. So, I put it back in the fridge for 30 minutes and drank the rest. A bit better but quite sweet still. The malt comes through a bit more with a roasted flavor.

Mouthfeel- A bit overcarbonated. I would think this would be much better on a hand pump possibly. Lots of caramel and vanilla aftertaste.

Drinkability- Not really my cup of tea. I would have downgraded, but I know it's because I just don't really care for creme brulee and the sweetness this beer imparted. I know it probably is a well crafted beer though. (1,017 characters)

3.94/5  rDev 0%

Received in CanBIF 5, thanks to wfeddern. From a 22 oz. bomber, abv% on import label listed at 8.2%.

Pours out a deep opaque black in appearance, golden oak nimbus appears when held to direct light. Tall, thick, creamy sandy head with good retention and lots of thick spongy lacing in its wake.

Aroma is robust, bombastic, and delicious! Intense milky vanilla and toffee notes sweep the show, some light coffee tones, and it is a gorgeous phenomena.

The flavour is equally intense, yet not as cohesive as the aroma. Starts with both sweet toffee and dry roasted malts, continues with a dry coffee middle, although with an underlying milky and caramel sweetness. The finish is a dry mild espresso on the back of the tongue yet with milky toffee still coating the palate. Aftertaste is a dry lingering presence, yet with the toffee notes still coating the mouth.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, not as thick as I had expected, but this is a good thing as the flavour is intense enough on its own.

Wow, that was quite the trip. Best shared I think, a good dessert beer. After 12 oz. I am quite satiated and satisfied, the sweetness gets a bit overwhelming. Something I'd go back for more for the right occassion. (1,211 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +2%

Pours a very dark, at first almost black, shade of brown. And it has an outmeal-stout colored soft brown head, which it retains reasonably well. It terms of smell, butterscotch and caramel dominate, though there is a small hint of vanilla.

As far as taste goes, I most readily notice espresso and milk, so I rather feel the beer was misnamed. Sure there is the occasional vanilla hint, but nothing more in the sweets department.

Like with Southern Tier's Imperial Cherry, the name made promises the beer simply didn't keep. But, casting that aside and considering the beer on its own merits, this was damn drinkable. I'd suggest renaming it, but then they've lose the novelty sales the current name obviously brings in (my purchase included).

I'd drink it again, though not sessioning, as this is a bit heavy and with a respectable ABV. (841 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance: Pours a dark chocolate brown with a tan cap that fades with rapidity but leaves plenty of foamy dots around the chalice

Smell: Creme brulee from a mile away; hard to imagine it is a beer

Taste: Vanilla, butterscotch and creme up front, with a building sweet intensity through mid-palate and beyond; unlike the draft version, the bottled sample seems all about the sweetness, right through the lingering finish

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with moderate carbonation; a bit cloying

Drinkability: Loved this on draft, but in the bottle, it becomes a bit tiresome; still quite an accomplishment to make a beer taste like dessert (634 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours complete darkness of night with no moon in sight. Nice brown head that leaves minimal lacing throughout session. Smell is in your face vanilla beans with alcohol lurking far behind. Tastes like sweet, sweet vanilla and caramel. Extremely sweet. Mouthfeel is thick and smooth. Little carbonation makes it seem thicker. Drinkability: because it's so sweet isn't the best. I downed a bomber, but I don't think I'd go further than that. Very tasty though, a desert all in itself. (481 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -67%

Thanks to Yamar18 for this bomber, poured into an oversized snifter.

An aggressive pour directly into the middle of the glass coaxes a little skim of tan foam that covers 1/3 of the surface of the beer and disappears quickly. Very dark cola brown body. No lacing to speak of. Disappointing visually.

STRONG butterscotch and caramel aromas jump out of the glass. I can easily smell this beer from a foot+ above the glass. Once my nose adjusts a bit, I can pick out some cocoa, Irish cream liqueur, and a hint of vanilla. I can't detect any malt at all. Certainly no bold roasty flavors like you'd expect in a big stout. Sweet and boozy, with heavy emphasis on the sweet.

For the most part, this beer tastes like it smells. Weird, that is. Thankfully there's actually a hint of coffeeish dark malt and a hint of bitterness, but hints are it, and they seem to be in conflict with all that sweetness. The dominant sweet flavor is Irish cream- it's artificial and unpleasant to my palate. I hate it a little more with each sip. I'm pretty sure my dog is laughing at me as I try to choke this stuff down (I should give him some, too; misery loves company).

Mouthfeel's somewhat disappointing. Medium-full bodied, lowish carbonation. The lingering artificial sweetness all the way into my throat is quite unpleasant.

Overall impression: Strange beer. I'm pretty much morally opposed to drainpours, but in the case of Creme Brulee, this rule was meant to be broken. (1,463 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

Bought this for my wife who is an Creme Brulee nut.

The beer pours dark dark brown to black. I can already smell the vanilla pouring out. Not much head or retention is sticking. The aromas are prominent with vanilla and caramel. This reminds me of a vanilla cream soda for sure. On the taste, very sweet vanilla with hints of coffee and caramel. Full body with a lasting finish. The taste of vanilla lingers on my lips. Good beer but a bit too sweet. My wife gave me her half as she found it too sweet (503 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Happy opening day! Opaque black when poured into my Red Sox glass. Large, cocao colored head that never really diminishes or goes away. Monstrous lacing.

Smells and tastes the same: sugary vanilla and Good N' Plenty candy. I've never actually had creme brulee but if it tastes like this stuff I like it. Aftertaste of butterscotch and booze. Extremely smooth, full mouthfeel.

I finished the bottle over a three hour period but I think it would be even better when split with a friend as it's a very strong, distinct taste that gets old after a glass. (553 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +3.8%

Southern Tier and what I will call their Sweet Series hits another triple with this one. Very good, if maybe a touch too sweet.

Appearance is the weakest aspect, not much in the way of head and a near black pour with minimal lacing.

Smell is exactly as advertised, heavy caramel, sweetness, sweetness, and sweetness.

Taste is, according to my wife, Creme Brulee to a T. I have never had it, but what I can say is that this is an ultra sweet drink, with a cream taste, toffee, and caramel background. No hop or alcohol presence.

Mouth is medium/big in feel and carbonation.

Pretty easy to drink at first, gets a bit tougher because of how sweet it is. (656 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 650 mL bottle into snifter.
A: Pours a very dark garnet color (very little light gets through with backlighting). Essentially no head forms.
S: Wow! A definite boozy creme brulee aroma. Very nice.
T: Unfortunately, the taste doesn't quite live up to the high expectations brought on by the wonderful aroma. Vanilla bean up front with a hint of caramel malt in the background. Alcohol esters.
M: Fairly smooth and creamy with a mild alcohol bite.
D: Decently drinkable. The high ABV is well hidden. Creme brulee is best served in small amounts, not tubs...so this brew has its limitations in drinkability. Would go well as a dessert accompaniment. (658 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from the 22oz bottle into my newly obtained Dogfish Goblet.

Appearance- Beer pours thick and black with a mere finger of creamy off white head with specks of tan intermingled. Lacing clings to the sides of the glass and there appears to be a bit of the good old legs present on the sides as well.

Smell- Wow, simply put, wow, caramelized sugars, pure creme brulee, I don't even catch beer on the initial sniff, or even on the follow up sniff. Just pure desert, I kind of regret that I'm drinking this and not pouring it over ice cream. So sweet with caramel and brown sugar, It may not be up to snuff on style guidelines for a double stout, but for what they claim this to be, it hits the ball out of the park.

Taste- More of that sweet delicious creme brulee, how in the world does Southern tier do it? Burnt roasted malts, no hops to be found, a bit alcoholic and could stand to be scaled down a notch on gravity, but outside of that, a perfect desert beer rivaling even the almighty Young's Double Chocolate, and yet different from it at the same time. Creme brulee, plain and simple, first Chocolat, now this. Amazing Southern Tier.

Mouthfeel- Creamy, rich, sweet, candylike, warming, medium in carbonation, and full bodied.

Drinkability- Amazingly drinkable, but I won't be drinking this in too much of a hurry. This is one to be savored and enjoyed for as long as the resistance to gulp it down holds out. What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall during a Southern Tier brew session. (1,506 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -6.1%

A - Deep black / brown, very minimal head and carbonation. Looks thick.

S - Smeels of vanilla, cream, and burnt sugar. Smells like a beer called Creme Brulee should very aromatic.

T - Sweet burnt sugar taste. Creamy, sugary, dark.

M - Viscous mouthfeel, very minimal carbonation, thick and rich.

D - If you want a sweet beer with a lot of character, then this would be an excellent choice. Definitely a desert beer, and a good choice for an after dinner drink. (464 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -24.1%

Had a large sample of this at the Sierra Grille after work.

Full frothy tan head, very sticky, not enough of a sample to see lacing, dark stained mahogany color, slight rust colored edges.

Smell is strongly of vanilla frosting, not quite the store crap, but certainly no buttercream. I have to say it was overpowering and set me up negatively towards the taste.

Taste made up for the smell, vanilla is certainly in play here as well, but is less aggressive, letting the roastiness out to play. I think that ST has done a good job making a beer/creme brulee hybrid. While not to my taste it is still very high quality. Feel was great for a Double milk stout, not as thin as a normal MS and a little slick.

My advice is to get the half pint if possible unless you want diabetes. (780 characters)

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company