2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 3,246 | Reviews: 1,272 | Show All Ratings:
Calico

1.73/5  rDev -55.4%

A: Extremely dark brown, near black, with very little head. Some lacing.

S: Like vanilla extract and butterscotch.

T: Like flavor concentrates: butterscotch, vanilla, and maybe some of that chocolate cheesecake flavor from Nature's Flavors that I ruined more than one dessert with. Everything over the top, much too intense. Like trying to drink an overly-flavored dessert made by a very heavy-handed chef. The butterscotch, above all, stood out - and that's a flavor I really detest. This didn't seem to be a diacetyl-induced butterscotch, but something added - from a bottle - in the secondary. (I know that's not what they did; it says on the bottle they used real vanilla beans, for one - but it tastes like flavor extracts.) Aftertaste is of saccharin.

M: Sort of slippery. Coats the tongue and will not let it go. Almost puckers the tongue with the intensity of the flavors.

D: I could not finish it. The sink, I'm afraid, got part of it. I would have gladly given it to someone who could appreciate it properly if they'd been there.

I am definitely not part of the target market for this beer. First off, I should have read on the label the part about it being a milk stout. Oops. No wonder it upset my stomach. I can't have any milk product that hasn't been turned into hard cheese or yogurt without my innards complaining. Second, I had a big sweet tooth about 15 years ago; I would even have dessert with lunch sometimes. These days, however, given the option of a sugary dessert or an IPA, I'll pick the IPA every time. It just doesn't occur to me to eat sweets.

Southern Tier has been one of my favorite regional brewing companies. For now I'll stick to their IPA and Phin and Matt's, and hope their next big beer is more to my liking.

08-14-2008 15:35:24 | More by Calico
paulthebeerguru

4.5/5  rDev +16%

A: snifter. pours a deep, impenetrable black color, with a gorgeous light brown head. mild head retention and nice lacing.

S: huge aroma of vanilla beans, not just plain vanilla. caramel, roasted malts, coffee, chocolate. it smells like a french vanilla coffee creamer.

T: it literally tastes like a damn creme brulee, with some coffee. wonderful roasted malt flavors, with some caramel, vanilla, coffee, light chocolate, and some lactose.

M: definitely full-bodied. huge palate, with a wonderful bite that is hidden. perfect carbonation level for this dessert beer.

D: well its definitely a dessert beer and absolutely delicious. I shared it with two non-beer lovers and it was a huge hit. well worth a try, but it is a little sweet.

08-14-2008 02:27:51 | More by paulthebeerguru
tedpeer

Iowa

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

Bomber poured into a chalice.

A - Poured very dark brown, with a thin head that quickly subsided to a thin ring around. No lacing.

S - Vanilla (What did you expect?), butterscotch and a hint of alcohol.

T - Vanilla, then roasted coffee, with a very slightly bitter finish. Has a slight alcohol heat in finish also. Sweet.

M - Smooth. Medium carbonation.

D - Are you kidding? With the sweet, and the alcohol, one's the limit.

I can't ID the issue I have with the taste, it just doesn't do it for me, mostly because of the sweetness.

08-12-2008 22:09:55 | More by tedpeer
Biggness

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

This beer pours a very dark brown with no head, there is plenty of carbonation, I poured it properly and I attained 0 head. Other than the head the Beer looks very tasty. The smell is very powerful, it smells like a vanilla cake with vanilla frosting on it, with a mild hinto of toasted malts. The flavor is very original and well balanced, you can certainly taste the vanilla in it and it is not overpowering and you can taste the beautiful toasted malts as well. The mouthfeel is comfortable, it is nicely carbonated. It has a high drinkablility but I doubt I could do more than 2 bombers in a night. Well done beer ST!

08-12-2008 21:05:40 | More by Biggness
BeerTruth

Connecticut

3.4/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

22 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights when held up to the light. A two finger tan colored head seems to last forever before falling to a thin creamy layer leaving a thick wall of lacing on the sides. Smell is pretty extreme (a bit much actually) vanilla extract, Werther's Original candy, with a touch of smoke. Coffee and butter (blah) with lots of sugar in the nose as well. Taste begins pretty boozy from start to finish with similarities to Amaretto and Bailey's. Lots of lactose and carmelized sugars midway with super sweet white chocolate. Aftertaste is slightly bitter with more vanilla and sugars. I really don't want to know the calories in an entire bottle of this beer, may be quite scary. A big full bodied stout that's silky smooth in the mouth. A surprisingly medium carbonation which I could use less of. This beer is just insane, plain and simple. No way can I finish this bomber tonight, I'd rather not gain a few pounds. Southern Tier makes pretty outrageous beers and this is no exception. This a beer to be shared, hopefully future BA's read these reviews and understand that down the road. Choklat is still the Black Water Series champion in my eyes. I'm not sure this would age well even with the high abv. I just can't see such a "milky" beer improving with time.

08-11-2008 23:53:15 | More by BeerTruth
TheMistler

District of Columbia

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Draft into a pint glass.

Thick and black, with a light tan head. Incredibly sticky lacing on the side of the glass.

My bartender's immediate comment when I ordered this was "breakfast in a glass," and she mentioned waffles. I'm not sure I can improve on that description. Maple syrup, caramel, milk, nutty sweetened oatmeal on the nose.

Oh so smooth, a not-displeasing heavy viscous quality. It definitely is breakfast in a glass. Lactose sweetness, maple syrup, sweet roasted nuts. I was pleasantly surprised by some nice hop bitterness.

Definitely imperial. Very good, but I could not drink more than... two, lets say. I almost said just one, but darnit, this beer is good.

08-11-2008 19:39:45 | More by TheMistler
BeerSox

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

22oz bomber into nonic.

Pitch black with a hint of ruby edges at the bottom of the glass. A thin tan head slowly settles to a pillowy cap, leaving behind stringy lacing.

Very strong hints of vanilla, everything else is pretty much buried by it. Some of the alcohol is well perceived. This actually reminds me a little of Vanilla Coke and Vodka. The vanilla is paired with a little beat of sugary creaminess.

Vanilla again, in the form of light cream and burnt sugar. Some roasty malts are in the background, with only a little bit of bitterness forming in the end. Very thick beer, medium carbonation. The finish is a little bit of lingering bitterness and a lot of the vanilla.

Probably one of the thickest beers I have ever had. I was practically chewing each sip. The vanilla flavor is a little strong making the beer a little too sweet for my tastes, lowing the drinkability. It's like a giant liquid dessert. This is a very unique beer though, one worth trying. Recommended.

08-11-2008 01:37:47 | More by BeerSox
hellcatsjg

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

Appearance: Looks like a stout should look. Dark black beer with a thin tan head.

Smell: Wow! Butter and vanilla hit first and hit hard. Very big and very sweet. A bit of coffee and alcohol linger in the background.

Taste: Starts with the sweetness of the butter( more butterscotch in the taste) and vanilla and moves on to the roasted coffee flavor to cut back the sweetness. Finish is a combination of the bitter roasted flavor and sweet vanilla.

Mouthfeel: Quite thick with little carbonation. Very strong flavor left behind after each sip.

Drinkability: Very good, unique beer. It may be a bit too big to want more than one, or even to finish a bomber, but it is definitely worth seeking out and trying. Not for everyone but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

08-11-2008 00:29:06 | More by hellcatsjg
Cunningham26

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

service- on tap into smaller tulip, maybe 10oz

a- Very dark brown almost black with a head that was described earlier as milk chocolate colored, but was more the color of a chocolate milkshake. left very little lace.

s- strong vanilla and caramel, aka creme brulee. after smelling it i almost thought i'd have to break through the shell of a head to reach the custard body.

t- very sweet, with strong notes of caramel and vanilla mellowing into darker stout notes of expresso and chocolate. lingering sugary taste made me keep putting the glass to my lips to refresh the palate. Alcohol level did a decent job cleaning much of sugary sweetness, but lingering tastes were also pleasant

m- very very smooth, lightly carbonated. I mentioned to my friend I was with that it reminded me a lot of an oak cask aged stout i had years earlier but thankfully this one had some carbonation whereas that one was completely flat. very very sweet, an absolute overload on the tastebuds, definitely a dessert beer that would be wonderful with chocolate, caramel or even berries and creme.

d- because of the sweetness and abv, there's no way someone could drink more than one of these in a session, although i'm sure plenty (myself included) would like to.

great beer that was very well executed in the brewing process.

08-10-2008 15:40:08 | More by Cunningham26
shbobdb

Indiana

2.48/5  rDev -36.1%

I shared this beer with my brother and his reaction was, "Well, it tastes like something." I'm glad I split the bottle with my brother. I mean, sure, they accomplished what they set out to achieve: make creme brulee into a beer. I like beer, I like creme brulee, so I should like this beer but some things should be kept separate.

The taste is pleasant at first. The first, maybe, ten minutes of sipping this beer is very pleasant. It is very sweet, with a strong blast of vanilla and caramel. This is followed by a nice carob aftertaste. I mean, it tastes a whole lot like Creme Brulee.

But then you are stuck drinking a whole bottle of it. The sweetness is cloying and the carob and burnt flavors on the end get annoying. Plus, despite the initial onslaught, there isn't much going on with this beer. Big Caramel, Big Vanilla, and Big Carob. That is it.

It paired nicely with tiramisu. Indeed, I got sick of it only after I finished my tiramisu -- but I got sick of it immediately after my tiramisu was finished. It needs something and it needs it badly.

Beer should be able to stand alone. Uhhgggg, just too much.

08-10-2008 04:24:10 | More by shbobdb
auxiliary

Rhode Island

4.85/5  rDev +25%

appearance - Black color, nice large tan head with some crazy lace on the glass. Looks good.

smell - For real, I can smell this about 2 feet away. Chocolate, sugars, vanilla, and caramel to die for.

taste - Very sweet with a little bit of a bitterness after taste. So smooth, silly.
Taste of chocolate, vanilla, and caramel.

mouthfeel - Full body, sweet.

drinkability - I tasted this before and ran to track 84 RI to get it on tap. Very good. I hear it is strong to drink on your own. It should be used as a after desert drink.

08-10-2008 04:21:07 | More by auxiliary
Gtreid

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured the bomber into my Short's Imperial pint glass.

A: Black with a hint of light brown. Poured almost two fingers of frothy, milk chocolate brown head, that retained well, but left little lace.

A: Wow this one's sweet. Vanilla, chocolate, butterscotch, and marshmellow. Caramel malts, and some very subtle earthy hops, and I stress very little.

T: Sugary sweet. The vanilla and butterscotch are over the top. This is for sure a dessert beer. A little espresso flavor finishes it off.

M&D: Little carbonation and a full body, make for a viscous brew. Drinkability is very limited due to the sweetness, number one, but the ABV at 10% doesn't help. Overall, good for an after dinner drink, but way too sweet for my taste. But still a very interesting brew. Skal.

08-09-2008 21:36:47 | More by Gtreid
bkilpatr

Oregon

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. 08/08/08.

Pours thick and dark black. A thin layer of tan head is produced. It leaves slight lacing around the glass. As soon as I popped the cap I could smell the sweet goodness of this beer. Vanilla, caramel, chocolate, butterscotch, and all other good sugary things. It smells so wonderful.

Taste is sweet, sweet vanilla. Lots of caramel and butterscotch as well. Plenty of chocolate and a hint of coffee in the finish. Tastes pretty sweet, but not overdone. The flavor doesn't pack as much of a punch as the aroma, but it's still quite impressive.

Feel is thick and syrupy. Just enough carbonation to keep it from getting too heavy. Leaves an aftertaste that lasts forever. The alcohol is very well hidden. Drinkability is the low point of this beer for me. It's a bit too much for just one person. I'd recommend splitting with friends.

Very interesting idea for a beer. Definitely a dessert beer, and one that should be shared.

08-09-2008 01:54:04 | More by bkilpatr
DJRoswell

Maryland

4.68/5  rDev +20.6%

I bought this in a 22oz. bottle. I could not wait to get it home.

I poured it into a frosted mug and the aroma enchanted my nose as it poured a thick brown with a lite brown head. Man, my mouth was watering. This absolutely reminded me of the dessert. Chocolate and caramel mixed with a little spiciness. The taste was heavenly. Smooth and sweet with a nice bitter coffee finish. This was a heavy beer. i don't think I could drink all 22 ounces by myself. Definately a beer to share with a friend or two.

Overall, I would drink this one again and again.

Southern Tier hit another grand-slam!

Cheers!

08-09-2008 00:31:27 | More by DJRoswell
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

Picked this one up in a trade recently. I had been dying to try it as I had heard some mixed things regarding it. Needless to say I just had to get it. Twenty two ounce bomber that was served at cellar temp and poured into an oversized wine glass.

One of the best pours I have seen in a long time. Rich dark brown, essentially opaque with a huge head of off white foam that reached a height of three inches before finally deciding to come down to around two inches and leave it at that. Huge amounts of side glass lacing just ringing the inside of the glass and thoroughly coating everything that was in sight.

The aroma was just insane. I am not even sure what to make of this one here. Rich and bitter vanilla flavor. A touch of light alcohol, but this was very well hidden. Huge aroma here, my wife complained later in the night she could smell it an hour after the bottle was empty. This was the thickest, most bitter vanilla smell you could imagine. The flavor was more of the same. Now I have heard mixed reviews about this and I can really see why. You have to take it for what it is. This is a dessert beer, this bottle should be shared with like four people as by itself, this is way too much for one person. I was really struggling towards the end, as the flavor was soo insanely sweet, maple sugar, vanilla, molasses, hints of caramel, I mean if it was a kind of sugar it was dumped in this in great quantity. There was a smooth, delicate feel on this with more then adequate carbonation making up the majority of the body. But still, even the aftertaste hung with you for what seemed like a day and a half. A sipper for sure, but something that needs to be shared.

Overall not bad at all, not the best thing, but for what the style is, this was actually pretty damn good. It looked and smelled fantastic, it was just the overall volume of this bottle was a bit much for me. Something akin to a KRE would be much better for this as it is needs to be sampled in limited amounts. A must try though for the novelty of it.

08-08-2008 10:09:03 | More by mikesgroove
HopDerek

4.53/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a very dark brown/oily black with 1 pinky of thin burnt orange head, very little retention but some good lacing. Smells just like creme brulee with notes of butterscotch, caramel, vanilla, and cream as well as some flavors of roasted malt and a touch of alcohol. Taste is sweet from the start of caramel and butterscotch followed by vanilla, lightly roasted malt, chocolate, lactose, and a touch of alcohol. Medium full in body with nice carbonation. Creamy and smooth, sweet with some roastiness and enough alcohol to remind you it is in fact Imperial. An excellent dessert beer and another winner from Southern Tier.

08-07-2008 21:23:32 | More by HopDerek
ommegoose

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

I served this one slightly chilled. Definitely much warmer than the recommended 42 degrees.

Pours out very dark, but not quite as opaque as other double stouts. Ruby hues show when held to the light, and it's actually rather transparent towards the end of the glass. The head is beige and leaves full lacing to start and a partial coat on top.

The smell of the dessert wafts from the just-opened bottle. This is a fragrant beer! Vanilla, caramel, custard, butterscotch, a slight sourness.

What a delicious package this is. Sweet and lush vanilla, followed by milky caramel, with a butterscotch finish that adds a mild bitterness. Souther Tier hit the bullseye with this one (and it actually tastes a lot like that particular candy). I can't remember a beer where the caramel flavor tasted so removed from the roasted malt. It's pure creamy caramel initially, but the back end packs some roastiness. It almost reminds me of the espresso kick in a latte. Hopping is really subtle here, like with Choklat, but maybe even less evident. The light sourness works here too. I can't believe this is 10% abv.

Mouthfeel is chewy and filling. Maybe I can't help but take a huge swig every time. It's fluffy rather than creamy. Lightly carbonated.

Great. I would revisit this one every year. It does not drink like a 10% beer to me at all. It goes down easier than a lot of regular stouts. I'm sure the alcohol will sneak up on me, because I downed this fast. Yeah, it's really sweet, but I don't mind. I know some couldn't handle more than a snifter of this, but I really didn't have trouble with a bomber whatsoever. Well, the last 4-6 ounces were a little work. I was tempted to pour some over a bowl of ice cream, but didn't want diabetes. I hope I'm not annihilated by the sugar low later on. Nonetheless, this brewery continues to do great work.

08-07-2008 06:57:44 | More by ommegoose
largadeer

2.63/5  rDev -32.2%

Appearance: Pours a near-black color, more dark brown, with slight translucency when held to light. Head retention isn't great, but we're talking 10% beer here.

Smell: Intensely aromatic - I could smell this one as soon as I uncapped it. Surprisingly, this does smell like creme brulee - it's got the burnt sugar, cream, butterscotch and vanilla you'd expect. This doesn't so much smell like beer as it smells like dessert. I don't necessarily mean that in a good way.

Taste & mouthfeel: The taste has all the creme brulee character of the nose, along with - thankfully - a bit more actual beer flavor. Bitter roasted malt flavors lend a necessary balance to the sweetness, which is still very much at the forefront here. The finish is bittersweet, bitter eventually prevailing, leaving a lingering coffee note on the palate.

Notes: Got this one from Dyan - thanks dogg. This is fun stuff, but I recommend sharing; a couple ounces is plenty. On a side note, this would make one seriously decadent beer float with a scoop of vanilla icecream.

08-07-2008 00:42:16 | More by largadeer
Foxman

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

It pours an inky, opaque black that grabs light and hurls it inward, never to escape. Except, that is, for the finest band of mahogany at the most outer edges. A single finger of light tan head is rapid in its re-deployment elsewhere. Wisps of lacing flutter along the inside of the glass.

The aroma is nothing short of a creamy, rich explosion, notably sweet with molasses, candy sugar, maple syrup, and earthen with dark coffee and lactic bite. Still, the biggest wave of the blast is reserved for the mountainous swell of vanilla that tamps down what should be a more obvious wedge of alcohol.

Upon sipping, warily and anxiously, the sweetness is like a sugary broadside from a confectionary warship, firing away with balls of milky custard, toffee, sweet coffee, and singed sugar. Ah, but it's the vanilla that rumbles forth from the beer's Guns of Navarrone, laying waste to all that comes before it, even more so here than in the aroma. And yet, the alcohol is decidedly more poignant and warm here, resisting any real cloaking efforts from other agents. A very slight bitterness comes forth near the close, teasing with a tinge of crispness, no doubt from the roasted malt and burnt sugar, but then the sweetness dominates once again, leaving slowly through a lingering and very cloying finish. This pretty much defines "dessert beer," and in a very good way.

Full bodied, it's incredibly round and creamy, sliding in slow motion like heavy buttermilk across the palate.

I would imagine many will love this, and many will hate it. If you don't want sweetness, you'll likely abhor it. I, on the other hand, while an inveterate hophead, am a soul with a dag-nasty sweet-tooth, and this will capably cater to the most intense sugar Jones. I shared the bottle and still found it hard to finish my share, but that's because of the huge body and enamel-rotting sugar content, as opposed to any real faults. Simply, in the right context, this is nicely drinkable and enjoyable. I'm envisioning actually trying it with its namesake dessert. So, no matter, love it or hate it, I can think of no reason someone would not at least want to try it. I did, and am quite happy I've recovered from the resulting diabetic coma.

08-06-2008 20:09:15 | More by Foxman
pershan

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Had this on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD.

The beer poured a dark amber with a thin brown head into a chalice. The smell was of butterscotch, with a hint of vanilla. The taste was a big hit of butterscotch and vanilla, plenty of malt sweetness, with a creamy mouthfeel and slightly bitter finish. Not a bad approximation of a Creme Brulle in a glass. The alcohol content is masked quite nicely as well, making this a deceptively potent beer.

08-06-2008 19:38:10 | More by pershan
hwwty4

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured a 22oz bottle into my Smokestack goblet. This beer pours a slightly opaque brown with just a slight kiss of a beige head, which quickly dissipates into a rim around the outside of the glass. The aroma is this beer is huge. I could smell it living room when I was in my kitchen. I think that this beer has the strongest aroma of any beer I have ever drunk to this point. The aroma is really just like crème brulee. Vanilla is overwhelming. Subtle hints of toffee, custard and a bit of heat from the alcohol. The taste is vanilla custard. Sweet lacto, coffee and a hint of caramelized sugars comes through on the tail of the beer. I found it really interesting that they got the caramelized sugar aspect of crème brulee to come across in the finish of the beer. The mouthfeel is a bit thin and honestly, astringent. The alcohol really comes through on the palette. This is a good beer, but one to be enjoyed on a cold night, in front of a fire when desert is in order. It really needs the right circumstances to be outstanding.

08-06-2008 04:28:04 | More by hwwty4
SpecialK088

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter

A-Pours near pitch black with a red tint not a real big yet but it stays with the beer well no real lacing

S-Vinilla comes through very big, maple, custard sweet cofee with sugar with small notes of malt.

T&M-Bitter vinilla in the front as well as bitter chocolate, coffee and cinnimon notes in the middle. Very smooth and complex with a warming feeling in the finish, stlye in mind i give it very high marks as it delivers on all the general stout qualities while delevering something completely new and diffrent.

D-Not something i would even want to drink all the time although i would love to have it around, because when the mood struck i don't think anything could replace the want for this one.

08-06-2008 02:45:14 | More by SpecialK088
naterock

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

poured into a dokel
C: not completely opaque but dark brown, with almost no head.
S: sweetness is key to a milk stout and this one hots it right on the nose. this smells exactly like a creme brulee. a strong vanilla and little malt in the background.
T: a little bitterness comes through in the begining but becomes smooth and creamy towards the end.
M: I think if this was a bit less carbonated it would be even more enjoyable.
D: definitely a sipper, but I would enjoy a glass with a nice chocolatey dessert.

08-06-2008 02:37:50 | More by naterock
sholland119

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

A-Pours a deep black with just a little bit of thin white head. Very appealing.

S-Strong scent of vanilla sweetness with some booziness behind. Intriguing.

T-And the taste is intriguing at first too. Not much like beer at all, but an interesting adventure. Nice strong vanilla with a bit of alcohol. But the sweetness quickly becomes cloying and over the top. My wife and I can split a snifter of it but that's all.

M-Creamy and rich.

D-See above. Can't finish one.

I am a big fan of ST big beers, and efforts of brewers to do interesting and new things. This did not work for me though.

HV

08-05-2008 18:48:41 | More by sholland119
Proteus93

3.35/5  rDev -13.7%

A: Very deep brown, basically becoming black. A lighter, offwhite head puffs up like a puffy marshmallow.

S: Heavy aroma - butterscotch takes it, followed by vanilla extract, with lactose notes like heavy cream (actually rather similar to a vanilla coffee creamer), and a touch of malt roast.

T: Very sweet, and maybe a little too much so. Butterscotch again, vanilla, a bit hot with alcohol, and something medicinal (like... cherry cough syrup???) starts to poke through as it warms.

M: A rich and creamy body, with a shimmering carbonation that works nicely with it.

D: A little on the fence. A small serving would likely go over just fine - but likely nothing much over a 10 oz. snifter of it, at most. It starts off great - scent is appealing (in a candy craving sort of way, I suppose), the flavour starts off quite nice, and body is good. As the end of the glass nears, it becomes more cloying, the flavours overwhelm the palate a bit, and the novelty starts to fade. Well worth the try, and perhaps a good candidate to share with company who like such things, but not one I can easily finish 22 oz. of.

08-05-2008 02:46:08 | More by Proteus93