Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)

carrionricardo, Aug 20, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

Hoptoudrop, Aug 20, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Dark Dark Dark, oily appearance

S: Creme Brule. That is all I can say. It smells amazing. Vanilla is dominant, it smells super sweet.

T: Overall well balanced, the vanilla and caramel compliment each other nicely up front, a tiny bit of booziness at the end.

M: Medium mouthfeel, it TASTES super sweet, I am not sure if that takes away from the experience or not.

O: I loved it, I do like sweet things, I have read a lot of reviews stating that this is too sweet. It is def pleasing to consume, but share the love :)

dcsti22, Aug 20, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

TargaFlorio, Aug 20, 2013

dsm45, Aug 19, 2013

clewis901, Aug 19, 2013
3.56/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier's Creme Brulee last month for $8.99 at The Lager Mill. I'm pretty sure I tried this beer a long time ago and I don't remember anything about it, so when I saw it on the shelf I thought I should pick it up and give it a proper review, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's not that eye catching, but it has lots of great information on it and I think that's a nice touch. It poured a very dark brown color that was on the border of being black that didn't really let any light come through and it had three fingers worth of creamy tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left tons of lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer the color was nice and the head and lacing were really good.

S- The aroma starts off with a ton of sweetness followed by some nice chocolate aromas that are quickly overpowered by lots of caramel, butterscotch, vanilla, and maple syrup like aromas that pretty much dominant the aroma of this beer. As soon as I cracked the cap of the bottle I could smell it and I'm pretty sure if someone blindly smelled it there would be no way that they could tell that it's actually a beer. The aroma was pretty good, it wasn't very beer like but I found it to be pretty enjoyable.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a huge amount of sweetness followed by some slightly bitter dark chocolate flavors that give way to tons of vanilla, butterscotch, and caramel flavors that seem dominant this beer and they really don't let any other flavors come through. Up next comes a somewhat lighter amount of alcohol that is only slightly warming. On the finish comes some more sweetness with a lighter amount of bitterness and very caramel, vanilla, and butterscotch like aftertaste that seems to stick around a little bit. This was a nice tasting beer, the flavors were pretty much as advertised but I thought the sweetness was out of hand.

M- Fairly smooth, sticky, cloying, creamy, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent but I thought it was too cloying and sticky.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer. it's for sure not a great example of an Imperial Stout, but as a dessert beer I think it's a pretty good example of the style, the flavor was exactly as advertised. This beer had pretty bad drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little filling and the flavors did a decent job at holing my attention, but the sweetness was so high that there's no way that I could every drink a full bomber of it, half the bottle was a bit of a struggle and I think that splitting a bottle between four or five people would be good. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both pretty good and worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the sweetness, it was just way too high and it's up there as one of the sweeter beers I have had and that really hurt the drinkability. I wouldn't by this beer again, maybe if I was going to a tasting and I thought some people would like, but other than that I won't be buying another bottle anytime soon and I don't think age would improve this beer. I would recommend this to anyone who likes sweet dessert beers. All in all I liked this beer a lot at first, but the more I drank it the more it wore on me, the flavors were nice, but I wish more of that stout base come through and that the sweetness was really toned down, I felt like i may need an insulin shot after i drank half of the bomber. I appreciate the effort it took to make this beer, but in the end it just didn't come together as good as it could have, better luck next time guys.

StoutHunter, Aug 19, 2013

gunpwdr, Aug 19, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

dbauer78, Aug 19, 2013

jaydoc, Aug 18, 2013

Erice78, Aug 18, 2013
4.21/5  rDev +8.2%

Dark as midnight, but just a bit of light will get through. A very minimal bit of foam rests on top. The aroma of this beer is absolutely incredible. Totally nailed the smell of creme brûlée. I'm blown away. That vanilla aroma is mixed with caramel and is-absolutely amazing with undertones of dark roast. The caramel flavoring dominates, but the vanilla sneaks in to the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is very thick and creamy. This is dessert in a bottle. Very rich and decadent.

Franziskaner, Aug 18, 2013
3.58/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown color with a one-finger khaki shaded head. It certainly looks like a stout, that's for sure.

S: HOLY SHIZNIT. The level of vanilla, caramel, and cream I pick up on the nose is absolutely ridiculous. Of course, the sugar level is probably ridiculous, but I don't care. The aroma is amazing.

T: The flavors, however, aren't quite amazing. Having said that, this is probably the most caramel-forward brew I've ever had. Seriously, there's so much caramel and vanilla, it's fuckin' ridiculous. No balance between the sweet and bitter qualities at all. But honestly? I kind of like it, even if the sweetness burns the palate.

M: I'd really like the feel to be fuller/creamier to properly support all of the over-the-top sweetness. Because of that, this is *VERY* hard to drink. The low carbonation doesn't help it feel less cloying, either.

O: SAH-FUCKING-WEET. Sure, it's actually flavor is nice, but this is so hard to imbibe it's not even funny. Share this with about 4-6 people and you'll thank me later.

ThisWangsChung, Aug 18, 2013

BeersAndBears, Aug 18, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

paulgarrison, Aug 17, 2013
4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance- Pours up a fair amount of head that seems to have some semblance of retention. The head is a medium beige while the body is an opaque chocolate brown. Considerable lacing left behind. Does dissipate rather quickly but is nice nevertheless.

Nose- So much butterscotch it's difficult to parse anything else. There's cream, vanilla, toffee, and caramel but they are only secondary actors in regard to the butterscotch dominance. One of the best aromas I've ever experienced from a beer. Maybe a little bit of peppermint with some heat attached?

Taste- More butterscotch with an oaky bitterness in the background. It is not the oaky mess that I've gotten from a lot of vanilla beers but it is there. There is a bit of thinness in the profile. And there is a good amount of heat. Perhaps this is why Southern Tier suggests this should be served at 42 degrees instead of the normal 50 to 55 for an imperial stout. The caramel, vanilla, and toffee of the nose make themselves known but butterscotch and oak linger in the background. The components of the flavor profile are great but they don't really mesh. Perhaps that is too harsh of judgment; there is integration and balance but a bit of thinness. And considerable heat. This does not bother me but might bother many. Despite its flaws, I do enjoy this beer.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied but pretty weak for an imperial stout. To be a desert beer, this needs more heft and less carbonation.

Drinkability- It's tasty. It's wicked alcoholic. It's not too pricey. 9 bucks a bomber. But I would go for other Southern Tier beers over it. Backburner and Chocklat specifically.

Overall- A good beer that is messy. I don't mind its messiness or the booze. If you're not expecting crème brulee in a bottle, it could be enjoyable for you. I don't regret trying this but I might not repurchase. I would consider it specifically for a desert beer. I like it despite its faults.

artoolemomo, Aug 17, 2013
2.49/5  rDev -36%

Pours black with nice small bar pour head, coco head that leaves plenty of lace down my glass even though it was smaller.

Aroma is sweet and to me 95% caramel sure there is some roasted noted and coffee. But caramel apples come to mind on first whiff and stays that way even wife says caramel big caramel. Not bad but not what I would consider a big stout smell.

Taste is well the same as the nose loads of sweet caramel not into liquors but has to taste more like a caramel liquor then a beer. Way sweet loads of caramel some roasted notes and coffee in the finish. Not happy with this server said it was sweet not big deal have had hundreds of stouts but nothing to prepare me for this. Would not have this again would not recommend this unless you just want to drink cloying caramel with roasted coffee hints.

Mouthfeel is a good point nice smooth full bodied brew.

Overall not my cup of beer but to each his own.

mntlover, Aug 17, 2013