Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.
Ratings: 4,160 | Reviews: 1,426
2.66/5  rDev -32%

As my sister in law's interest in craft beer grows by association....I was gently prodded to pick one of these up for a sampling. Split 3 ways with my swill loving brother & his open minded wife.

A ~ Black coffee colored with a creamy, tan 1 finger head. Sticky lace left a soapy film on the glass.

S ~ Without question the BEST part of this beer. You could smell this throughout the room as soon as it was opened. "OOOH ~ Lemme smell, lemme smell"
* (About now a little voice is telling me to remember this is beer!)
It smells like SWEET dessert. Vanilla pudding, butterscotch, caramel, sweet baked goods, cotton candy & English toffee. As the beer warmed it had a warm boozy, almost Brandy smell to it.

T ~ Unbalanced & over done at best. Waaaay too sweet on the front. For the most part, the mouth follows the nose here. Burnt sugar, toffee, vanilla, butter cream & hints of coffee & milk chocolate. I did think I noticed a hint of roasty malt ~ but not enough to focus on. A little bitter on the finish. Breathing in over the glass is boozy & aromatic.

M ~ Full bodied. Deceptive carbonation. Slick, slippery mouthfeel with a lingering bitter after taste. Sticky & oily. Warm swallow reminds you that its alcohol. Sweet, cloying film on my lips and a hot tip of the tongue.

D ~ Overall I'd have to say I was disappointed.
Hard to finish. This is a sipper IF you're liking it (BIG IF) ~ an unusual, albeit failed attempt at an Imperial Stout IMO. A novelty that should be filed & listed as one. Definitely a one timer. ....no matter what you pair it with ~ ice cream, chocolate, vanilla pudding, maybe even Creme Brulee. Someone said "You can put lipstick on a pig...it's STILL a pig!" This aint beer to me.

2.68/5  rDev -31.5%

Had with JDV and pint sized.

A-Dark and stout looking
S-Like werther's or nips caramel butterscotchs.
T-Huge blast of cloying caramel, vanilla, and butterscotch. So sweet and overpowering with lingering butter in the mouth. Did not like this and did not think it tasted like Creme brulee.
M-Thinner than expected and leaves an unpleasant lingering film.
D-I could drink this all night- for 1 million dollars!! Not a fan. Won't try again. Glad to try the novelty and thought it would be good paired with food but not standing alone.

2.68/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Split a bomber with my brother in law. Poured into a stemmed flute. A little of something is good but a lot of something can be bad. That describes this beer. Too sweet, too much vanilla. 2.75

A - black with a half finger tan head. 3.75
S - too much vanilla - 2.5
T - cloyingly sweet, malty, vanilla, 2.5
MF - med heavy body with a sweet finish. - 3

2.69/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This pours nice and rich, as you would expect from this style.

Smell. Um, wow, lots of vanilla. "Duh" you say, but - no - like, I'm going to bake a cake, is this peppermint extract or vanilla extract in this bottle? Vanilla. That is all that is there.

Taste is, well, vanilla. I do pick up some hop freshness, but it is like the freshness of brushing your teeth and then drinking orange juice. The flavors, to me, just don't work.

mouthfeel is decent, creamy.

Overall, I did not expected a vanilla beer cooler like thing. This is not for me.

Do note: I hope Southern Tier keeps brewing this and other extremely crazy beers. There are many people out there with tastes that match up with this stuff. If you like sweeter brews or want to try some over-the-top vanilla, seek this one out!

2.7/5  rDev -30.9%

22 oz. Bottle poured into a weizen glass (all that was available).

Appearance: Dark brown, with a ½” tan head that recedes to a ring. Lots of lacing.

Smell: Big vanilla and caramel with a slight hint of roasted malt.

Taste: Sweet, sweet, vanilla/caramel hits the palate first. I was ready for sweet, but this is easily the sweetest beer I’ve ever had. Then the beer moves to a bitter malt finish with heavy on the bitter, this beer is almost “bi-polar”. I would not call it balanced as the sweetness and bitterness are very separate and distinct. In-fact the bitterness lingers as an aftertaste that is not all that pleasant.

Mouthfeel: I kept this beer cold and kept returning the bottle to the fridge after each pour and still I found it overly cloying. As it warmed in the glass it got worse.

Overall: I was expecting an extreme beer and got one, but even as a sweet/milk stout this was over the top. I admit drinking the whole bomber was way too much, maybe as a small pour desert beer this could work but I highly doubt I’d buy it again.

2.71/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Way too sweet for me

2.72/5  rDev -30.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass.

A- Pours a dark, cola brown. Produced a fingers width of tan colored head. Reduced to a thin ring upon consumption.

S- What a wonderful smelling beer. Huge, potent notes of butterscotch and vanilla. Lots of sweet aromas. Truly smelled like creme brulee.

T- After smelling the aroma my expectations were very high. Unfortunately the taste was borderline unbearable. I like my Dark Lords and other sweet RIS's, but the sweetness in this beer was way too much for me to handle. Getting a nice mixture of cocoa, lactose and vanilla type flavors. Unfortunately these delicate nuances are completely overrun by the immense sweetness.

M- Slightly let down in this area. I was hoping for a creamier, thicker mouthfeel. Despite the lack of viscosity, the lactose in this beer did add some texture.

D- This beer was almost a drain pour from me. While the taste truly did match that of creme brulee, it did not translate to the drinkability. By the time I was nearing the end of the bomber I almost had to hold down the beer from coming back up.

Overall, I applaud Southern Tier's ability to make this beer taste like creme brulee. Unfortunately, the extreme sweetness in this beer did no favors the taste and drinkability. Won't be trying this again...ever.

EDIT: this was much more bearable on-tap...the sweetness was tempered.

2.73/5  rDev -30.2%

First off I will say that I am reviewing this according to the style listed on BA: "American Double/Imperial Stout". This one was just not for me...

A- Pours a dark brown color with a thin off white foam head. No lacing is left behind.

S- Lots of malt sweetness. Caramel, toffee, cane sugar, and milk chocolate all comprised the nose. Not really any roasted aromas that most Imperial Stouts are known for.

T- Whoa, this tastes like a diabetic coma waiting to happen. Almost like drinking caramel mixed with toffee and evaported milk. Painfully sweet.

M- Medium body with low carbonation. Syrupy and way too sweet.

D- Ive said it a few times already but this beer is just way too sweet for me. It hardly tastes like a beer and was difficult to finish.

2.73/5  rDev -30.2%

22 oz bottle poured into pint glass. review from notes.

A - Pours a dark black with a slight hint of brownish hues. A light head bubbles up with a tan hue which dissipates to some eventual lacing.

S - Large scents including vanilla, burnt sugar, caramel malt, and a bite of chocolate.

T - Begins with caramel, chocolate and other rich flavors. While swallowing, an eventual wave of borderline offensive flavors wash over the palate. Vanilla, booze, oak, wood, milk, sugar, and way too many other tastes permeate the palate which continue from the beginning of the beer right into the aftertaste. It finishes bitterly sweet with a wave of more vanilla and some boozy warmth.

M - Definitely full bodied, creamy, but not too heavy.

D - There's a hint of smoothness, but the booze and offensive aftertaste make it a little rough.

I usually love southern tier stouts, but this one appeared to be a mess of assorted flavors, especially during the aftertaste. Some people enjoy this one, but it's definitely not for me.

2.76/5  rDev -29.4%

A-3.0 pour jet black with just a slight brown shade with a slim minimal white head struggling to cover the top of the beer
S-4.5 reaks of creme brulee with notes of vanilla with a caramel asserting itself with just a twinge of chocolate and coffee in the background
T-2.0 huge vanilla up front with a sweetness like eating a crème brulee but the chocolate/toffee malts asserts itself more aggressively with a little alcohol or hop bitterness to balance the taste (rightly so for the style) but overall I'm not sure if this works imperial style the massive malt and alcohol/hop present bitterness in a sweet stout interpretation albeit imperial style doesn't quite work for me
M-3.0 very heavy and rich body with a low carbonation the huge rich taste is almost a turnoff especially in a 22 oz bomber
D-2.0 not remotely drinkable, definitely a sipper tough I'm lost for words at why you bottle it in 22 oz. servings being an imperial sweet stout it seems a contradiction since due to it's imperial character it seems there is an off balance between it's imperialness and its sweet goodness which i wish would dominate a bit more

2.76/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured into a pint glass. From a 22oz bomber.

A - Pours a dark brown color with a minimal tan colored head that is pretty thin and recedes quick to a thin mat.

S - Very very sweet caramel aroma. Exactly like the name suggests. Some mild vanilla spice and boozyness but overall just tons of sweetness.

T - Extremely sweet! too much for me in terms of sweetness. Caramel, brown sugar and some boozyness.

M & D - Medium body. Not complex at all. Unbalanced too much on the sweet side. Not a repeat for me.

2.77/5  rDev -29.2%

Interesting nose, enticing and inviting.

I found that this is an excellent example of a beer with lots of vanilla extract in it. Too much for my taste. Right balance of hops with the sweetness and milk stout style.

Definitely a dessert beer, but not worth the effort.

2.78/5  rDev -28.9%

A- Light chocolate body with some ruddy tinges of burnt siena. Not much head and no lacing.

S- A little too intense for me. Vanilla syrup, some burnt malt, and chocolate milk. Slightly off-putting.

T- Better than it smelled. Pretty complex mix of vanilla, chocolate, dried fruits, and even some detectable hop bitterness in the aftertaste. Extremely sweet.

M- Much thinner than expected. For the abv and flavors I would have liked a thicket stout.

O- Glad I tried it but unlikely to revisit it. Couldn't finish more than a snifter full because it's so syrupy sweet. Cool attempt at a radical beer though.

2.78/5  rDev -28.9%

this is really good vanilla extract ruined by harsh hops. I first became leery when i read columbus kettle hops. dark pour @45f into a double mountain tulip glass. dark with some ruby in the edges. reasonable carbonation for a big stout (kinda low, but still head existed and their were bubbles. smells like vanilla, just as the bottle suggested some birthday cake taste as well. First wave is vanilla, sweet, but not underattenuated. second wave is more vanilla, birthday cake, and the bittering hops/roasty astringency. my real problem with the beer is this flavor. Instead of cutting the sweetness and giving a clean finish it creates an odd mix of flavors that dont jive in my mouth. Lower ibu hops, a less pronounced hop variety, or a cleaner roast malt (caraffa, a pale chocolate) might have made all the difference. Another note, kind of a vanilla extract alcohol flavor provided me some trouble. On some sips it was fine, but others definately had a hot ethanol type burn.

I knew i was going to get a sweet vanilla dessert beer, but i just can wrap my tongue around this beast.

2.79/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I'm usually a big fan of Southern Tier... and I know this clearly is suppose to taste like vanilla creme brûlée.... but wow... this was so cloyingly sweet. Imperials are typically a nice sipping beer and they are truly my favorite style ... I just couldn't take this one. This was beyond dessert beer. I let it warm to room temperature and still couldn't handle it.

A: The appearance was great; a deep dark rich pour with a nice finger of head.

S: I really liked the aroma, it really did remind me of a freshly torched Creme Brûlée with that wonderful crust to crack... and then...

T: Taste. So very very sweet. It literally tastes like an actual dessert and a cupful of sugar was mashed into a stout and puréed. Sorry, made it through about 4-6 oz thinking maybe it would change in depth or character as it warmed. Nope, just a yeasty sweet creme brûlée stuffed into a bottle.

M: Felt viscous and smooth, though again, was distracted by the taste.

O: I'm sorry, but I just would not recommend this to anyone. Southern Tier has some other excellent brews, but this they really out thought themselves.

2.79/5  rDev -28.6%

Glassware: Odell's Belgian Style Snifter.

Appearance: Black in color, this beer is basically opaque. An aggressive pour produced a small head tan in color, with rocky bubbles that diminished quickly. No lacing to speak of.

Smell: Initial thought right away is cake batter, burnt sugar, marshmallow, and ice cream. Wow, this smells sweet.

Taste: Beyond sweet, that is all. A weird chemically burnt sugar taste. BLECH.

Mouthfeel: Trying to taste enough of this to get an idea of the mouthfeel ... not easy. Syrupy body with average carbonation. Good ...

Overall: My god. This is the sweetest beer I've ever had. I know a lot of people must like this, to achieve the rating it has gotten ... but holy shit. It made me cringe it was so sweet. It made me cringe when I even thought about tasting it the next day. My tasting buddies tried to salvage it by putting vanilla ice cream scoops in it. Eventually, we chose to drain pour. It smells nice, it has good mouthfeel, and it looks fine ... but I can't get over dat sweetness.

2.8/5  rDev -28.4%

A: Pours a very thin head, light lacing; jet-black in color

S: STRONG smell of vanilla and burnt marshmallows, with a bit of caramel, toffee, and sweet cream

T: Sharp bitter, burnt caramel/marshmallow flavors; finishes with slightly smoky wood notes. The "creme brulee-ish" flavors in here tasted really artificial and gross, and I could barely stomach the small tasting pour that I had. The flavors were really sharp and aggressive on the tongue, not smooth and balanced. For some reason this has the nastiest taste, like Peeps that have been burned on the stove -- really artificial, but like a "burnt" artificial sugar taste if that makes sense.

M: Medium thickness and carbonation; finishes a little sharp and boozy.

O: This was a big disappointment for me, I thought it was gonna taste a lot better. It would probably improve a lot with a few years in the cellar, but I wouldn't waste my money on another bottle just to try and find out.

served in glass from a 22 oz bottle
this is one odd smell that comes from this brew besides being sweet i would have to say it smell like a butterscotch hard candy and that is reflected in the taste as well
as vanilla and just really sweet
it pours a nice dark color kind of brownish and look like a regular stout but it has
that creme brulee taste hence the name
i am usually fond of sweet beers but this one is over the top
i just could not get over the butterscoth taste and smell
it was actually pretty strong different and unique
it was something to try wouldnt have a whole bottle 4 or 6 oz is plenty and think i will pass on getting this another time

2.8/5  rDev -28.4%

22oz bottle poured into small glass. Shared with family and friends over the weekend. The label shows some cows grazing on a farm.

A- As expected Creme Brulee comes out a dark brown to black color. While in the glass this stout is as black as anything else in the Blackwater series. A 1/2 finger loose head creeps up and actually has some staying power before it vanishes. Moderate lacing.

S- OMG this is one sweet smelling brew and quite over powering with you guessed it creme brulee and vanilla beans with some butterscotch. The malts are present and welcomed by me. I smelled more of a hop presence in a fresh bottle but those hops are former shells of themselves now.

T- Guess what? This tastes like creme brulee so this is ST offering is not false advertisement. If you expect something else, well, i don't know what to do for you. This also tastes like peeling off the top creamy layer of a dozen plus butterscotch tasty cakes and stuffing them in your mouth. I'm sure there is a generous amount of hops and malts in this but they are not helping center this brew. There is an additional sweetness to creme brulee with distinct burnt sugar extract.

M- A pretty medium mouth feel that feels thicker then it is with the over abundance of sweetness coming from all angles. The sweet creme brulee taste lingers around forever, too long perhaps.

D- There is no way i could ever finish a bottle of this even 1/2. The most i can take at a time at most is a 5% and prefer less at a sitting. I have extra bottles of this so i love taking it to parties and watching unsuspecting people cringe drinking it even though i warn em before. I love desert beers but this one is way to much.

I love southern tier brewing and all the offerings i've had from them, but i don't see myself buying this again, unless a hot chick that loves sweets is looking for a brew.

look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Way to sweet for my liking!!!

2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

If I had to describe Southern Tier's Creme Brulee in one word it would be, awkward. Definitely not to be consumed with a meal, it's far too sweet. I can easily smell its overpowering vanilla scent sitting several feet away from my glass. The flavor is slightly less objectionable. The taste is somewhat more subdued than the smell as it blends with the sharp chocolate/mocha flavors of the roasted malts in the stout. Medium bodied, a bit chewy (good things), but a bit too carbonated for this style I felt. Mouth feel would probably improve on nitro. Overall, not my 'mug of beer'. Southern Tier went for something insane but got something ludicrous instead. It's just a little over the top for my taste.

2.84/5  rDev -27.4%

Shared a bomber with my brother on the 4th night of Hanukkah. Heard a lot of great things about this beer, but I was disappointed when it came to tasting time:
A: dark brown, almost black; pours thick with a small off-white head that dissipates quickly
S: the smell is sweet with heavy notes of caramel and vanilla; little to no malt aroma; no hop aroma
T: cloyingly, overly sweet; no hop flavor; maybe the faintest touch of a roasted malt character (emphasis on faint); i was expecting a more well-balanced beer with background notes of caramel and vanilla, but those flavors were just in-your-face up front and dominated the beer
M: medium to medium-high carbonation; full body
D: this beer really just killed me when it came to the taste. the "creme brulee" flavors were artificial and too pronounced. i understand this is supposed to be an extreme beer, but you can't just throw a ton of sugar into a beer and pretend that it's extreme. i think a better route for this brew would be to use crystal malts or kettle caramelization to impart a light caramel flavor, and then use vanilla beans (sparingly) to add the vanilla notes. i'm not sure what they did when brewing this, but i feel like some artificial flavor extracts were just tossed in at the end. it's definitely an interesting beer to try, and i'm not saying it tastes bad per se, it's just not "beer like" in my opinion.

2.87/5  rDev -26.6%

This rating would have been lower if not for the redeeming quality it has when mixed with Southern Tier's Pumpking. As for the Creme Brulee on it's own--22 ounces is just too much for it to be enjoyable. What I mean by that is, the first few sips seem good enough. You get the sweetness and the taste of Creme Brulee. Then, the alcohol flavor hits. And keeps hitting. By the time you get halfway through the 22 ouncer, which it is only sold in, it is just overpowering and the beer becomes a bit harsh. Amazingly, however, when mixed with Southern Tier's Pumpking(also available only in 22 ounces) it becomes what is known as a Creamy Pumpkin and it is outstanding. One of the best beer mixes I have had, to be honest. But, unfortunately for the Creme Brulee, I am rating it mostly on its own merrit, which is subpar at best.

2.9/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Had on tap, needed to let it warm a bit.

A: A rich dark black. A very thin tan foam head, dissipates quickly.

S: Lots of vanilla, chocolate, cocoa, caramel and some hints of maple.

T: It is a very sweet. Lots of vanilla and chocolate. Definitely tastes like having a creme brule.

M: A thick creamy film is left on the tongue and mouth.

D: While you cannot taste the alochol, it is masked rather well, it does have a high ABV. It is extremely sweet, a decent dessert beer.

2.9/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours deep brown, and creates a decent head. The color is on the deeper side of the dark browns, but it isn't black. Head could be better given the milk stout nature, but still very good lacing and body.

Stinks of butterscotch and french vanilla. There really isn't much more here, milk and cream notes in the vanilla, but hardly much more than butterscotch and a roasted cream vanilla. This beer has more aroma than you can imagine. You really have to smell it to imagine. It isn't my thing for a beer but I have to give credit for this nose. It is just wow.

Thankfully the flavor here is far more bitter and complex than the nose. French vanilla is blended with hops, spices, and darker malts to create a very different beer than anything I've ever even begun to imagine before. I have no clue what Creme Brulee tastes like nor do I think I'll ever have any. This beer is just something else. I'm not sure if it is the Columbus or Horizon hops but the hop profile reminds me of moka. A very familiar stout flavor, extremely so. I'm not sure that the hops and sweet vanilla flavors are really made for each other. There is a lack of connection here. The french vanilla flavors should be the showcase, but instead the hops squelch the sweetness and balance things. This isn't how a milk stout should finish. Now I enjoy the hell out of some good hops and some spicy hops might work well here. Instead they have gone with floral and sweet fruity hops that just don't mix the spiced vanilla notes.

I really expected a thick deep syrup like body for this beer, instead this one drinks a hair thinner than expected. That said easy to drink but the flavor is a bit too much for even half a bottle.

I was told this beer would be an explosion of sweetness. I was told it would be over the top sugary sweet and more dessert than anything else out there. I'm instead getting an ok beer with too much vanilla for its' own good. I'm not really sure how to judge this one. There are so many ways this beer could really become excellent but it just falls short on all directions. Needs to be thicker, creamier, use different hops, and just frankly different.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company