Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

Indiana

06-19-2014 00:44:04 | More by tykechandler
IBUlover

1.15/5  rDev -70.4%

My first review, unfortunately, is spurred by my feeling responsible for warning people to save their money.

Smells like cake batter that tried to drown itself in vanilla extract after downing a pint of vodka. Boozy and sickly sweet aroma can be smelled from across the bar, I actually said 'ugh" as the bottle passed by me on it's way to the poor person who actually had 22 oz of this to drink.

I generally agree that a beer can't be properly reviewed based on 1 sip, but that's literally all you need. Unless you posses a 5 year old's sweet tooth and an alcoholic's liver I'd suggest avoiding this beer.

* Would be interested to try this beer with 1-2 years of aging, but I won't go near it again in the interim.

08-20-2008 23:35:35 | More by IBUlover
PDXHops

South Carolina

1.25/5  rDev -67.8%

Thanks to Yamar18 for this bomber, poured into an oversized snifter.

An aggressive pour directly into the middle of the glass coaxes a little skim of tan foam that covers 1/3 of the surface of the beer and disappears quickly. Very dark cola brown body. No lacing to speak of. Disappointing visually.

STRONG butterscotch and caramel aromas jump out of the glass. I can easily smell this beer from a foot+ above the glass. Once my nose adjusts a bit, I can pick out some cocoa, Irish cream liqueur, and a hint of vanilla. I can't detect any malt at all. Certainly no bold roasty flavors like you'd expect in a big stout. Sweet and boozy, with heavy emphasis on the sweet.

For the most part, this beer tastes like it smells. Weird, that is. Thankfully there's actually a hint of coffeeish dark malt and a hint of bitterness, but hints are it, and they seem to be in conflict with all that sweetness. The dominant sweet flavor is Irish cream- it's artificial and unpleasant to my palate. I hate it a little more with each sip. I'm pretty sure my dog is laughing at me as I try to choke this stuff down (I should give him some, too; misery loves company).

Mouthfeel's somewhat disappointing. Medium-full bodied, lowish carbonation. The lingering artificial sweetness all the way into my throat is quite unpleasant.

Overall impression: Strange beer. I'm pretty much morally opposed to drainpours, but in the case of Creme Brulee, this rule was meant to be broken.

04-16-2009 03:52:32 | More by PDXHops
Arbitrator

1.25/5  rDev -67.8%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Courtesy of a trade with funkydelic. Thanks Cameron!

A: Pours a pitch black with a surprisingly light, cream-colored head for an RIS. Retention is about 30 seconds before retreating to a collar of big bubbles, and no lacing down the glass or during swigs. Not much in the way of legs either.

S: Vanilla. Jesus. Like I'm sniffing a bottle of vanilla extract. Cannot smell malt, hops. Just vanilla and some burnt sugar.

T: And that's all I can taste too. Wait. Wait. Chocolate. Roasted malts. Burnt sugar. Ugh. To say this beer is oversweetened is an understatement. I'm beginning to be less and less impressed with Southern Tier's Diabeetus imprint. Please cut the sugar and the vanilla the next time you make this. KTHXBYE.

M: Low carbonation, and a surprisingly thin body that makes it feel like sugar water.

D: Never again. I'm not done with the bottle yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to pour it out before I'm done. This might be the worst beer I've ever had, and it is a testament to my cheapness that I'm still at it.

Incidentally, this is one of those beers that I would use as an example of, "Just because you can make it doesn't mean you should." Really, a creme brulee beer in 22oz form? Who thought that was a good idea? Christ.

08-15-2009 03:51:30 | More by Arbitrator
Oxymoron

Colorado

1.25/5  rDev -67.8%

What is trinity cream? Pours a midnight black color with very little hue throughout. A very prominent and soft tan head with good retention and lacing. Not sure for how long as it was a dumper.

The nose has WAY too much vanilla coming out. Put the glass now and still could smell it. Let it breath for 10 minutes, still the vanilla is obnoxious. Some butter and milky notes. No beer notes to speak of.

The taste is super sweet and like the nose is dominated by vanilla. Super sweet with a "hurts your teeth" sweetness. There is a fake cream/lactic thing that really emphasizes the sweetness. Almost like condensed milk. On the back end the vanilla comes out and really overpowers everything in the finish. Some minor roast, but really where is the beer.

The body is waaay too sweet. Overall this is not beer. This is a dumper. How can you drink this?

12-08-2008 18:34:53 | More by Oxymoron
woodske1

1.3/5  rDev -66.5%

Everything is ok until you take a sip of this beer. The smell and the look are pretty nice but that's where the party ends.

The sweet flavor of the beer just tastes very fake and processed. It doesn't taste like Creme Brulee, it tastes like a non-fat yogurt or something. If you are new to southern tier don't let this one scare you away.

02-20-2009 14:50:21 | More by woodske1
womencantsail

1.43/5  rDev -63.1%

A: The pour is a dark brown color with a khaki colored head that settles down to a thin layer.

S: The amount of butterscotch, caramel, vanilla and burnt sugar in the nose is nearly unbearable. I felt like I got a cavity just from smelling it.

T: I thought the nose was bad, but jeeze. This is pure, unadulterated sugar. Butterscotch, burnt sugar, vanilla, caramel, and some sugar on top for good measure. A bit creamy, but who really cares?

M: The body is medium with a low carbonation and a tooth rotting sweetness.

D: I'm pretty sure I am diabetic after having taken a few sips of this beer. So unbearably sweet and sugary without any sort of balance.

06-17-2010 17:04:05 | More by womencantsail
Lare453

1.45/5  rDev -62.6%

Poured a black into my glass with a small cocoa brown head.

The smell of vanilla extract was overpowering. It smelled of fake vanilla, like vanilla vodka.

The taste was awful with the flavor of overpowering vanilla extract.

The mouthfeel was pleasant, smooth and velvety with a light soft carbonation.

I would never recommend this beer. Stout and imperial stout are my favorite styles of beer but this was disgusting. I've never reviewed a beer before but after opening this one and the southern tier chokolat, which is equally awful, I had to review them.

07-31-2012 03:08:36 | More by Lare453

01-01-2012 05:53:18 | More by emdawg
SteveO1231

Connecticut

1.55/5  rDev -60.1%

Picked up this bottle from Manchester Liquors. I wanted to see what all the hype was about.

The "Butt Water" series with the screening of cows on it.

Pours a dark black with slight caramel highlights. thin tan head and bubbly lacing.

this beer smells exactly like a french vanilla coffee from dunkin donuts. almost like caramel corn.

what the hell! the taste in no way matches the aroma whatsoever!

very heavy on the palate, a ton of caramel/toffee sweetness up front that has a funky imitation taste. the back end has a dry bitterness that is musty, earthy like tree bark, and leaves a dirty metallic aftertaste in my mouth.

i wonder if someone is pulling a prank on me and switched the brew inside with an over syruped two week old coffee from starbucks.

this beer makes me want to quit drinking beer all together.

i cannot believe the hype on this beer, you've got to be kidding me!

awful! F! get this thing away from me!

08-16-2008 01:47:17 | More by SteveO1231
ZAP

1.55/5  rDev -60.1%

The more I drink this the more I realize I'm not a big fan of this beer. Some people love it...others hate it....I'm in the later category now.

What this tastes like are those werthers candies....I never liked them either....just too rich and sweet and over the top for me....butterscotch, toffee, french vanilla...it's all too much more me..

I even tried pairing this with a Padron Maduro cigar and that just about made me even sicker to my stomach..

I like this brewery and I respect that others may like this but to me it is one of my least favorite beers or all-time

11-27-2008 19:23:10 | More by ZAP
MbpBugeye

1.55/5  rDev -60.1%

Well, I had this on tap last year. I hated it then, I didnt finish my pint. I also hated Pumpking about this time last year as well, but I have that another shot and now I love it. I grabbed a bottle of this in hopes that it would turn out like Pumpking.

A- Not nice and thick looking like the other Black Water Series beers. Its a clear rootbeer color on the pour and condenses in the glass as a black beer with cola edges. No head retains so there is no lacing.

S- The smell is what I remembered most about this beer. It will stick with you. I cant decide if it is good or not. Its a nice smell, but it is not a smell I can associate with beer. It smells like some sort of scented candle found in a tacky living room all decorated with "rustic country" things that are actually just cheap trinkets made to look old. It smells like Worther's Originals and vodka. There is barely any beer smells coming through.

T- It is how I remembered it. Wildly sweet with a spike of astringent alcohol, like vanilla extract with vodka. Its like someone took the extract used to make Vanilla Coke and fermented it to 10% abv. Its not so bad until the finish and the aftertaste. Thats when the nasty alcohol hits you and things get messed up. It stings the back of the throat with every swallow. The aftertaste is like vanilla vodka with Splenda.

M- Not full enough and too carbonated.

D- I am really fighting this bottle.

10-23-2010 03:51:20 | More by MbpBugeye
Chinon01

1.58/5  rDev -59.3%

This beer was an utter disaster. In my opinion it could have been something nice if they would have cranked down the vanilla extract, cake batter taste about 7/8th. It's that outta wack. It looks like a stout without the bishop's collar. Smell is again vanilla extract only. The taste is equally non-complex with thankfully some bitter roastedness in the finish. Mouthfeel and Drinkability are irrelevant as it is too cloying to swirl in the mouth and have more than a few sips before leaving at the bar. Again other than appearance this beer was an utter disaster.

09-19-2008 02:15:54 | More by Chinon01
kimbo33

1.6/5  rDev -58.8%

This is a beer I cannot get into, I was so pumped when it came out, I drove to the brewery and found that it was the worst tasting beer at Soutern Tier. It tasted so fake, like they used some real cheap off flacoring to give it that sweet taste. And it was more vanilla tasting than I thought it should be. It does look nice and smell pretty good but it end there.

01-01-2011 21:39:59 | More by kimbo33