2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 3,250 | Reviews: 1,272 | Show All Ratings:
dtivp

West Virginia

2.55/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a deep black, a thin light tan head after a vigorous pour with very little lacing.

Aroma was very sweet of vanilla, brown sugar and caramel.

Taste followed the nose and name, a liquid Creme Brulee, very sweet of vanilla, caramel, burnt brown sugar and sweet cream.

Mouth Feel was medium body, a little thin for a stout, very little carbonation, creamy and very sweet.

Overall buying a beer named Creme Brulee, I was expecting sweetness, however,it was little too over powering for my taste. Stronger coffee or bitter chocolate would have added some needed balance.

12-11-2011 18:48:27 | More by dtivp
Fatjack

2.55/5  rDev -34.3%

The aroma is amazing and the initial taste is sweet/chocolate/vanilla... but then... in the end all I could taste was bitter dark chocolate/burnt malt flavor and it wouldn't go away. That ruined the beer for me... too over the top in the aftertaste to enjoy more than one of these. Mouthfeel was motor oily, very little head in the glass. If burnt coffee taste is your thing then you would love this. But this one is not for me. It does get better by adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but it's not enough to save it for me.

07-11-2012 14:33:43 | More by Fatjack
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

2.58/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a chocolate cola colour with minimal head. Nose- blast of thick vanilla. Taste- creamy vanilla- super sweet, with some roasted malts. Some caustic nuttiness and finishes with stale vanilla. thick too sweet. booze is hidden, I will give it that. otherwise uggh

10-06-2008 00:07:38 | More by oakbluff
hardy008

2.58/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a dark black color, small tan head after an aggressive pour. Poor retention. Smell is vanilla, burnt sugar, caramel, molasses, and butterscotch. The aroma is the best quality of this beer. Taste is the same as the smell, but also has some burnt coffee flavor. However, the more of this beer I drank, the less I liked it.

The mouthfeel is thick and too syrupy, and is a negative for me.
Drinkability is also questionable. While I liked the flavor initially, this gets harder to drink with each sip or swallow. Would have been better had it not been in a bomber bottle. I was going to share this with someone. She took a few sips and wanted no more.

09-06-2009 19:03:07 | More by hardy008
bbothen

2.6/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours dark brown/almost black with a small tan colored bubbly head.

Big overwhelming caramel syrup, butterscotch & vanilla extract scent. Seems to overpower any other aromas going on. You can literally smell this a few feet away. The powerfulness of the aroma is huge, I just don't enjoy the overly sweet smell.

Like the nose there is a huge sweet vanilla, caramel, butterscotch....creme brulee taste. Not much roasted/toasted or coffee flavors to be noticed. Tastes like melted creme brulee ice cream.

Thick, rich, smooth, feels nice actually.

Glad I had the opportunity to try this one, but it doesn't work for me. Too sweet & candy like. The beer is as advertised though, so no complaints.

08-23-2008 22:45:31 | More by bbothen
cokes

Wisconsin

2.6/5  rDev -33%

It should be noted that Southern Tier doesn't lie. Pumking tastes like pumpkins, Choklat tastes of chocolate. And this sort of tastes like Creme Brulee, but it also tastes heavily of French vanilla creamer. That shit you have in the office that allows people to suffer through the coffee that they really don't like just to stay awake.

I don't need artificiality to mask my beer. And I don't want it. But I got it here. Now I have to figure out what to do with it.

It pours to a translucent dark brown than mimics black in most lights. The beige head is small and fleeting.
It noses purely of vanilla syrup. Small touches of dark breads, but the flavored syrup is king. I love the smell of vanilla, but not so much when it drowns out everything else in my beer.
Burnt caramel malt is lain across the tongue. Creme Brulee indeed. Then scads of powdered vanilla-tinged coffee. It's like a gas station French Vanilla Cappuccino...with extra vanilla creamer.
I'm a sucker for vanilla. But it simply suffocates every nuance of this beer. Even the 10% alcohol can't poke through it.
The medium full body lays a glassy canvas for all the vanilla to unfold upon. But the vanilla cloys and clots upon itself and fucks it all up.
Give me roast! Give me malt! Give me beer! Give me some semblance of stout, and then I might begin to appreciate the rampant and ridiculous about of vanilla.
Again, they've nailed the flavoring aspect, but utterly neglected the basic beer traits. Drinking a pint+ of International Delight seems roughly the same (cut with a small amount of coffee). And I'm not joking.

This might have itself some small moment as a after dinner or cigar beer, but 22ozs of this is lunacy.
Let's have some fucking beer already.

11-11-2008 09:23:05 | More by cokes
rhinos00

Colorado

2.6/5  rDev -33%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass.

A- Pours a dark, cola brown. Produced a fingers width of tan colored head. Reduced to a thin ring upon consumption.

S- What a wonderful smelling beer. Huge, potent notes of butterscotch and vanilla. Lots of sweet aromas. Truly smelled like creme brulee.

T- After smelling the aroma my expectations were very high. Unfortunately the taste was borderline unbearable. I like my Dark Lords and other sweet RIS's, but the sweetness in this beer was way too much for me to handle. Getting a nice mixture of cocoa, lactose and vanilla type flavors. Unfortunately these delicate nuances are completely overrun by the immense sweetness.

M- Slightly let down in this area. I was hoping for a creamier, thicker mouthfeel. Despite the lack of viscosity, the lactose in this beer did add some texture.

D- This beer was almost a drain pour from me. While the taste truly did match that of creme brulee, it did not translate to the drinkability. By the time I was nearing the end of the bomber I almost had to hold down the beer from coming back up.

Overall, I applaud Southern Tier's ability to make this beer taste like creme brulee. Unfortunately, the extreme sweetness in this beer did no favors the taste and drinkability. Won't be trying this again...ever.

EDIT: this was much more bearable on-tap...the sweetness was tempered.

08-05-2009 01:01:49 | More by rhinos00
BobZ

2.6/5  rDev -33%

22 oz. Bottle poured into a weizen glass (all that was available).

Appearance: Dark brown, with a ½” tan head that recedes to a ring. Lots of lacing.

Smell: Big vanilla and caramel with a slight hint of roasted malt.

Taste: Sweet, sweet, vanilla/caramel hits the palate first. I was ready for sweet, but this is easily the sweetest beer I’ve ever had. Then the beer moves to a bitter malt finish with heavy on the bitter, this beer is almost “bi-polar”. I would not call it balanced as the sweetness and bitterness are very separate and distinct. In-fact the bitterness lingers as an aftertaste that is not all that pleasant.

Mouthfeel: I kept this beer cold and kept returning the bottle to the fridge after each pour and still I found it overly cloying. As it warmed in the glass it got worse.

Overall: I was expecting an extreme beer and got one, but even as a sweet/milk stout this was over the top. I admit drinking the whole bomber was way too much, maybe as a small pour desert beer this could work but I highly doubt I’d buy it again.

12-01-2011 20:35:56 | More by BobZ
largadeer

2.63/5  rDev -32.2%

Appearance: Pours a near-black color, more dark brown, with slight translucency when held to light. Head retention isn't great, but we're talking 10% beer here.

Smell: Intensely aromatic - I could smell this one as soon as I uncapped it. Surprisingly, this does smell like creme brulee - it's got the burnt sugar, cream, butterscotch and vanilla you'd expect. This doesn't so much smell like beer as it smells like dessert. I don't necessarily mean that in a good way.

Taste & mouthfeel: The taste has all the creme brulee character of the nose, along with - thankfully - a bit more actual beer flavor. Bitter roasted malt flavors lend a necessary balance to the sweetness, which is still very much at the forefront here. The finish is bittersweet, bitter eventually prevailing, leaving a lingering coffee note on the palate.

Notes: Got this one from Dyan - thanks dogg. This is fun stuff, but I recommend sharing; a couple ounces is plenty. On a side note, this would make one seriously decadent beer float with a scoop of vanilla icecream.

08-07-2008 00:42:16 | More by largadeer
stemcell001

Connecticut

2.63/5  rDev -32.2%

It poured a nice very dark brown with light tan head. I served it chilled and warmed up nicely by the end. At first, the smell hits with vanilla minimal to no hop aroma. The first taste was vanilla, but more of a butterscotch. There was a slight alcohol sting at the front of the sip. This confused me as the bottle said 10% ABV. As the beer warmed, the butterscotch taste became more pronounced and almost artificial in taste. It was nearly unbearable. I like big off-beat beers, but this one misses the mark for me. I would love to see what Southern Tier could do if they toned down or eliminated the vanilla from this stout. It seems they brewed an ale for people that don't like too much beer taste in their beer and nearly succeeded. I doubt I would buy this beer again.

08-16-2008 12:24:56 | More by stemcell001
tayner

Arizona

2.63/5  rDev -32.2%

22 oz bomber split between me and two friends as an after dinner drink.

Poured realtively rough into a glass, and it settled a bit "Guinness'esque" with the cool setting of the head. very nice. The head did not last long, though, as the high abv made it disappear quickly.

Smell was, well, almost sickening. It smelled like a simple syrup (sugar and water boiled together) with too much vanilla extract in it, and them simmered down thick and made dark. It was overwhelmingly sweet sugar/vanilla smells.

The taste was not quite as sweet as the smell was, but it tasted like it smelled nonetheless. They were trying for creme brulee, and they probably got as close as humanly possible, but man, it just didnt work for me, and I like creme brulee. As hard as I tried, I couldnt find any "beer" flavor in it... it was almost like it was one of those syrups you would see vendors putting on shaved ice and making a snow cone out of, it was that sweet.

The mouthfeel was good, thick, syrup-y, heavy, and coating like an Imperial/Double stout should be.

Drinkability is low. It was all the three of us combined could do to drink one bomber. I cant see myself ever having the desire to crack open another one either... but maybe it is just not my thing.

08-23-2008 21:20:03 | More by tayner
hopsleeroy

2.63/5  rDev -32.2%

Had with JDV and pint sized.

A-Dark and stout looking
S-Like werther's or nips caramel butterscotchs.
T-Huge blast of cloying caramel, vanilla, and butterscotch. So sweet and overpowering with lingering butter in the mouth. Did not like this and did not think it tasted like Creme brulee.
M-Thinner than expected and leaves an unpleasant lingering film.
D-I could drink this all night- for 1 million dollars!! Not a fan. Won't try again. Glad to try the novelty and thought it would be good paired with food but not standing alone.

08-29-2008 21:16:09 | More by hopsleeroy
joshstevens87

2.65/5  rDev -31.7%

A-3.0 pour jet black with just a slight brown shade with a slim minimal white head struggling to cover the top of the beer
S-4.5 reaks of creme brulee with notes of vanilla with a caramel asserting itself with just a twinge of chocolate and coffee in the background
T-2.0 huge vanilla up front with a sweetness like eating a crème brulee but the chocolate/toffee malts asserts itself more aggressively with a little alcohol or hop bitterness to balance the taste (rightly so for the style) but overall I'm not sure if this works imperial style the massive malt and alcohol/hop present bitterness in a sweet stout interpretation albeit imperial style doesn't quite work for me
M-3.0 very heavy and rich body with a low carbonation the huge rich taste is almost a turnoff especially in a 22 oz bomber
D-2.0 not remotely drinkable, definitely a sipper tough I'm lost for words at why you bottle it in 22 oz. servings being an imperial sweet stout it seems a contradiction since due to it's imperial character it seems there is an off balance between it's imperialness and its sweet goodness which i wish would dominate a bit more

12-28-2009 02:54:51 | More by joshstevens87
xnicknj

2.65/5  rDev -31.7%

22 oz bottle poured into pint glass. review from notes.

A - Pours a dark black with a slight hint of brownish hues. A light head bubbles up with a tan hue which dissipates to some eventual lacing.

S - Large scents including vanilla, burnt sugar, caramel malt, and a bite of chocolate.

T - Begins with caramel, chocolate and other rich flavors. While swallowing, an eventual wave of borderline offensive flavors wash over the palate. Vanilla, booze, oak, wood, milk, sugar, and way too many other tastes permeate the palate which continue from the beginning of the beer right into the aftertaste. It finishes bitterly sweet with a wave of more vanilla and some boozy warmth.

M - Definitely full bodied, creamy, but not too heavy.

D - There's a hint of smoothness, but the booze and offensive aftertaste make it a little rough.

I usually love southern tier stouts, but this one appeared to be a mess of assorted flavors, especially during the aftertaste. Some people enjoy this one, but it's definitely not for me.

09-05-2010 06:49:01 | More by xnicknj
bernardus1212

2.65/5  rDev -31.7%

On tap at HOB "Thanks Jessica." Poured into a 6oz snifter. Black as night with a white head. the head stuck around for awhile. You can smell this beer from the other room. The most intese vanilla have ever seen in a beer. THe flavor was the same. It tasted like vanilla extract with a little dry hops. I like the idea but Southern Tier needs to consult CCB before trying this. Way too intense. Switched over to a Loose Cannon immediately. As a suggestion, I wouldnt try this in a glass bigger than a flight sipper.

10-15-2010 04:02:28 | More by bernardus1212
klewis

2.68/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a very dark brown with a fizzy and bubbly soda-like head that quickly fizzes away to nothing. No lacing at all with a completely flat surface.

S: A very strong aroma of butterscotch and cheap vanilla capacchino. Slightly medicinal.

T: Sweet on the tongue with burnt roasted malt flavors. A strong sugary and vanilla taste makes this one quite similar to the taste of creme brulee. A slight hop bitterness in the finish gives it a bit of balance.

M: Full-bodied with moderate-high carbonation. Too fizzy for an imperial stout.

D: I am by no means a traditionalist when it comes to beer; I like fruit beers and brews that disregard the Reinheitsgebot. This one, however, has grown tiresome after just a few sips. Worth a try, but for me, not worth splurging on again.

08-05-2008 00:37:26 | More by klewis
projectflam86

2.68/5  rDev -30.9%

First off I will say that I am reviewing this according to the style listed on BA: "American Double/Imperial Stout". This one was just not for me...

A- Pours a dark brown color with a thin off white foam head. No lacing is left behind.

S- Lots of malt sweetness. Caramel, toffee, cane sugar, and milk chocolate all comprised the nose. Not really any roasted aromas that most Imperial Stouts are known for.

T- Whoa, this tastes like a diabetic coma waiting to happen. Almost like drinking caramel mixed with toffee and evaported milk. Painfully sweet.

M- Medium body with low carbonation. Syrupy and way too sweet.

D- Ive said it a few times already but this beer is just way too sweet for me. It hardly tastes like a beer and was difficult to finish.

08-03-2009 03:43:45 | More by projectflam86
bguzz

2.68/5  rDev -30.9%

Interesting nose, enticing and inviting.

I found that this is an excellent example of a beer with lots of vanilla extract in it. Too much for my taste. Right balance of hops with the sweetness and milk stout style.

Definitely a dessert beer, but not worth the effort.

11-19-2011 03:19:09 | More by bguzz
karengarys

Indiana

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This pours nice and rich, as you would expect from this style.

Smell. Um, wow, lots of vanilla. "Duh" you say, but - no - like, I'm going to bake a cake, is this peppermint extract or vanilla extract in this bottle? Vanilla. That is all that is there.

Taste is, well, vanilla. I do pick up some hop freshness, but it is like the freshness of brushing your teeth and then drinking orange juice. The flavors, to me, just don't work.

mouthfeel is decent, creamy.

Overall, I did not expected a vanilla beer cooler like thing. This is not for me.

Do note: I hope Southern Tier keeps brewing this and other extremely crazy beers. There are many people out there with tastes that match up with this stuff. If you like sweeter brews or want to try some over-the-top vanilla, seek this one out!

06-09-2012 01:35:51 | More by karengarys
ChrisKayler

2.7/5  rDev -30.4%

Glassware: Odell's Belgian Style Snifter.

Appearance: Black in color, this beer is basically opaque. An aggressive pour produced a small head tan in color, with rocky bubbles that diminished quickly. No lacing to speak of.

Smell: Initial thought right away is cake batter, burnt sugar, marshmallow, and ice cream. Wow, this smells sweet.

Taste: Beyond sweet, that is all. A weird chemically burnt sugar taste. BLECH.

Mouthfeel: Trying to taste enough of this to get an idea of the mouthfeel ... not easy. Syrupy body with average carbonation. Good ...

Overall: My god. This is the sweetest beer I've ever had. I know a lot of people must like this, to achieve the rating it has gotten ... but holy shit. It made me cringe it was so sweet. It made me cringe when I even thought about tasting it the next day. My tasting buddies tried to salvage it by putting vanilla ice cream scoops in it. Eventually, we chose to drain pour. It smells nice, it has good mouthfeel, and it looks fine ... but I can't get over dat sweetness.

07-16-2013 02:43:17 | More by ChrisKayler
skee1080

District of Columbia

2.73/5  rDev -29.6%

Shared a bomber with my brother on the 4th night of Hanukkah. Heard a lot of great things about this beer, but I was disappointed when it came to tasting time:
A: dark brown, almost black; pours thick with a small off-white head that dissipates quickly
S: the smell is sweet with heavy notes of caramel and vanilla; little to no malt aroma; no hop aroma
T: cloyingly, overly sweet; no hop flavor; maybe the faintest touch of a roasted malt character (emphasis on faint); i was expecting a more well-balanced beer with background notes of caramel and vanilla, but those flavors were just in-your-face up front and dominated the beer
M: medium to medium-high carbonation; full body
D: this beer really just killed me when it came to the taste. the "creme brulee" flavors were artificial and too pronounced. i understand this is supposed to be an extreme beer, but you can't just throw a ton of sugar into a beer and pretend that it's extreme. i think a better route for this brew would be to use crystal malts or kettle caramelization to impart a light caramel flavor, and then use vanilla beans (sparingly) to add the vanilla notes. i'm not sure what they did when brewing this, but i feel like some artificial flavor extracts were just tossed in at the end. it's definitely an interesting beer to try, and i'm not saying it tastes bad per se, it's just not "beer like" in my opinion.

12-26-2008 00:36:46 | More by skee1080
heapofaoatmeal

2.73/5  rDev -29.6%

this is really good vanilla extract ruined by harsh hops. I first became leery when i read columbus kettle hops. dark pour @45f into a double mountain tulip glass. dark with some ruby in the edges. reasonable carbonation for a big stout (kinda low, but still head existed and their were bubbles. smells like vanilla, just as the bottle suggested some birthday cake taste as well. First wave is vanilla, sweet, but not underattenuated. second wave is more vanilla, birthday cake, and the bittering hops/roasty astringency. my real problem with the beer is this flavor. Instead of cutting the sweetness and giving a clean finish it creates an odd mix of flavors that dont jive in my mouth. Lower ibu hops, a less pronounced hop variety, or a cleaner roast malt (caraffa, a pale chocolate) might have made all the difference. Another note, kind of a vanilla extract alcohol flavor provided me some trouble. On some sips it was fine, but others definately had a hot ethanol type burn.

I knew i was going to get a sweet vanilla dessert beer, but i just can wrap my tongue around this beast.

12-31-2009 23:29:03 | More by heapofaoatmeal
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

2.73/5  rDev -29.6%

Poured into a pint glass. From a 22oz bomber.

A - Pours a dark brown color with a minimal tan colored head that is pretty thin and recedes quick to a thin mat.

S - Very very sweet caramel aroma. Exactly like the name suggests. Some mild vanilla spice and boozyness but overall just tons of sweetness.

T - Extremely sweet! too much for me in terms of sweetness. Caramel, brown sugar and some boozyness.

M & D - Medium body. Not complex at all. Unbalanced too much on the sweet side. Not a repeat for me.

07-11-2010 19:26:34 | More by JoEBoBpr
Jules11788

2.73/5  rDev -29.6%

A: Pours a very thin head, light lacing; jet-black in color

S: STRONG smell of vanilla and burnt marshmallows, with a bit of caramel, toffee, and sweet cream

T: Sharp bitter, burnt caramel/marshmallow flavors; finishes with slightly smoky wood notes. The "creme brulee-ish" flavors in here tasted really artificial and gross, and I could barely stomach the small tasting pour that I had. The flavors were really sharp and aggressive on the tongue, not smooth and balanced. For some reason this has the nastiest taste, like Peeps that have been burned on the stove -- really artificial, but like a "burnt" artificial sugar taste if that makes sense.

M: Medium thickness and carbonation; finishes a little sharp and boozy.

O: This was a big disappointment for me, I thought it was gonna taste a lot better. It would probably improve a lot with a few years in the cellar, but I wouldn't waste my money on another bottle just to try and find out.

09-13-2011 21:52:15 | More by Jules11788
DrewZ926

2.78/5  rDev -28.4%

A- Light chocolate body with some ruddy tinges of burnt siena. Not much head and no lacing.

S- A little too intense for me. Vanilla syrup, some burnt malt, and chocolate milk. Slightly off-putting.

T- Better than it smelled. Pretty complex mix of vanilla, chocolate, dried fruits, and even some detectable hop bitterness in the aftertaste. Extremely sweet.

M- Much thinner than expected. For the abv and flavors I would have liked a thicket stout.

O- Glad I tried it but unlikely to revisit it. Couldn't finish more than a snifter full because it's so syrupy sweet. Cool attempt at a radical beer though.

11-12-2011 19:47:40 | More by DrewZ926