Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.
Reviews: 1,369 | Hads: 4,234
4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours an opaque dark brown with a small brown head. Smells like butterscotch, vanilla, and expresso. Gives the impression of tiramasu more that creme brulee to me. Taste is dominated by burnt sugar, with notes of butterscotch and espresso following. Full bodied as expected for an imperial stout. Alcohol is very well hidden.

A very interesting beer all around. I'm very glad I tried this one, but not sure I'll be seeking out more. Ignore all the critics; try this if you can!

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours opaque black with barely translucent mahogany edging. A thin, partial head developed with the pour and quickly dissapated to a placid surface with zero lacework.

Aromatics are pungently filled with butterscotch, caramel, vanilla, and espresso. Sweet and lush.

Full bodied, chewy and thick. A highly creamy mouthfeel.

Vanilla, butterscotch, burnt sugar, and chocolate lead of the palate. Roasted malts and espresso follow through along with sweet cream and warming alcohol.

Finishes with lingering vanilla, butterscotch, and burnt sugar.

A very unique beer and would pair well with many desserts. Sweet and rich and a great one to share.

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%

A - poured black with a creamy 1/2" tan head that diminished to nearly nothing in a few minutes, agitation allowed for a reformed cap

S - delicious! Sweet creme brulee crossed with dark chocolate and espresso! Vanilla too? Nice. A touch of fruitiness and yeast is present as well. So far so good!

T - very sweet at first, maltiness then sweeps across the palate, followed by coffee and syrup, bittersweet finish with hardly any hoppiness at all. Some notes of biscuits but the vanilla/malt/caramel sweetness was nearly overpowering. Alcohol is present throughout. This is where it starts to go down...

M - thick and heavy with moderate carbonation, chewy and syrupy

D - decent for a 10% brew but the thickness and sweetness only lets me do one of these in an evening

Overall - not a bad beer to try for kicks but nothing spectacular. Way too sweet and sticky. Something new to try for the record books. Perhaps it would benefit from aging?

4.54/5  rDev +15.5%

From my notebook.

A- Black as night, no head, slight lacing after a swirl.

S- Wow! Creme Brulee in a bottle! Sweet sugar, vanilla, cream, and a touch of white chocolate.

T- Burnt caramel, cream, super-enriched vanilla, touch of smoke and chocolate.

M- Thick and chewy. Medium to high carbonation.

D- Not overly drinkable, but a fantastic nightcap/dessert beer. Super sweet and is for sure a Creme Brulee clone in liquid form. How did they get all this into a beer?

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured some of a bomber into a wine glass...why not?

It's pretty black looking until held to some light, when ruby edges show through reluctantly. The thin tan head does not last nor does it leave any lacing.

OK, this smells like dessert. I mean rich, chocolate and vanilla, burnt caramel enhanced by the intermingling of alcohol that is not at all prominent. Rich and buttery dessert, I mean I usually don't look for it in a beer, but I am intrigued and interested.

The taste has the same caramelized sugar and vanilla thing going. Buttery toffee notes. Yes it too has dessert written all over it, but the alcohol burn is much more pronounced. There is a dryness to this imperial stout that starts in the middle and rides with the sweet flavors all the way through the bitter hoppy finish. I tell you there is a lot going on behind all this dessert.

This could be an iced specialty coffee, some sort of blended and chilled hot chocolate, or it could be dessert liquefied. Mouthfeel is big and smooth, the alcohol dryness is not overdone. Really the only thing that could be is the vanilla but taken in small sips even that is pleasant.

I hear bad things about this beer...and I understand that tastes vary so I am glad I tried it for myself. Recommended for the adventurous and the uninhibited. In a word...

4.87/5  rDev +23.9%

Almost black...minimal head..very inviting. Smell is butterscotch, vanilla and malt..mmm. Taste follows the smell...butterscotch, vanilla shake, molasses in the back. Mouthfeel is rich, creamy and full-bodied. Drinkability is very good considering the abv. Not a brew you would drink all night, but like a decadent dessert...absolutely excellent.

1.66/5  rDev -57.8%

The more I drink this the more I realize I'm not a big fan of this beer. Some people love it...others hate it....I'm in the later category now.

What this tastes like are those werthers candies....I never liked them either....just too rich and sweet and over the top for me....butterscotch, toffee, french vanilla...it's all too much more me..

I even tried pairing this with a Padron Maduro cigar and that just about made me even sicker to my stomach..

I like this brewery and I respect that others may like this but to me it is one of my least favorite beers or all-time

3.69/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours black with a small tan head that quickly settles to a very thin cap. Just spotty lacing is left on the glass. I smell vanilla extract, caramel, and a little alcohol. Taste is very sweet. Like drinking liquid butterscotch. Alcohol warming on the finish. Nothing is there to clean the palate so it has a cloying sweet aftertaste. Medium body with moderate carbonation. Bit of a sticky consistancy from the sweetness. Not the easiest beer to drink. Very sweet and cloying and with an ABV up at 10%. Best shared with several people then horded to oneself. I will finish this bottle and that will satisfy me of this beer for quite some time.

4.17/5  rDev +6.1%

A - Very dark and a small tan head. Very near opaque.

S - Vanilla, Butterscotch, really sweet and rich.

T - Big butterscotch taste. Very sweet and rich. It's a good example of a desert beer. Tastes sinful

M - medium to heavy mouth feel. Smooth and milk-like. Low carbonation.

D - Wish I had some ice cream to go with this. Something to enjoy after dinner, but not something to drink all nite. It's very big and impressive.

4.62/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle
10% abv

Pours a dark mahogany..modest head of tan foam.
Few beers will grab your attention in the aroma department as much as this one will...amazing aroma of freshly brewed cappuccino, creme brulee, white chocolate, & butterscotch. Truly incredible...while I was drinking this, several other people in the room actually commented about how great it smelled..that may be a first for me.
Flavor of heavy butterscotch, vanilla, white chocolate, and sweet caramel malt. A tad on the sweet side for me, but that's a minor flaw in what is a spectacular beer from Southern Tier.

Overall, an incredibly unique gem that needs to be tried at least once.

4.32/5  rDev +9.9%

This is a unique beer. I'm not sure if it is a dessert or a beer but here goes. It looks good for a stout and smells and taste like butterscotch. The mouthfeel is that of a silky smooth stout. I rate it low on the drinkability scale only because it was too sweet for a more than a rare occasion drink.

4.64/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from the 22oz bottle into a snifter like the bottle suggested. It has a pitch black body and a tan head that doesn't stick around too long. Looks like you'd expect an imperial stout to look. But once you take a whiff of it thats where things change.

It smells sticky of vanilla, butterscotch, and caramel. If you close your eyes you'd never think it was beer you were smelling. More like a bowl of ice cream. It says there is hops in this thing, but from the smell of it they could have been using rainbow sprinkles. I don't know if I'm supposed to drink this or get a spoon.

Thank god, it tastes like it smells. Its got a sweet chocolate taste thats coated in vanilla and caramel. This thing is a milk stout on steroids. Even after I swallow I can taste it. Its like my mouth is coated in vanilla candle wax.

As long as you have taste buds you'll enjoy this. Its like no other beer I've ever had. Has to be the best dessert beer out there. If you can drink more than one of these though you are my hero. Its a very filling beer. Job well done Southern Tier.

4.07/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Opaque brown with one finger of off white head and good lacing

S - strong butterscotch sweetness and lots of malt

T - Butterscotch that taste a little burnt. Very sweet

M - Medium body with medium carbonation

D - Couldn't drink all the time but it is enjoyable and awesome to share with friends

2.03/5  rDev -48.3%

Acquired this in a trade with Yamar18.

Appearance: Pours dark with one finger mocha head. Poor retention. Almost totally opaque. A little light can be seen through when held to light. Shouldn't be able to see light through an imperial stout.

Smell: Strong vanilla (smells like an Irish car bomb!), sweet chocolate and super rich caramel.
Wiseman Justin thinks it smells like an irish car bomb but slightly worse. Somewhat sickly. Alcohol shows through. "Note after drinking this for a couple of minutes, the smell of it makes me nauseous. - Wiseman Justin"

Taste: Super sweet. Again tastes like an irish car bomb (but worse). Wiseman Justin "I'd definitely rather be drinking an irish car bomb, should I chug this?" Has a definite liqueur aftertaste. 2.0

Mouthfeel: Really syrupy with medium carbonation (fairly high carbonation for an imperial stout). Thick body and dry, alcoholic aftertaste. There is really nothing terribly bad about the way it feels in the mouth area of the body.

Drinkability: Ranking this is easy, I have no desire to finish this beer let alone drink another one. In addition with a 10% alcohol score the ability to drink these is also hindered. Wiseman Nick says he could finish this one, but he'd probably feel sick. Wiseman Justin: 1.0 Wiseman Nick: 1.5

Notes: "it's just gross, and It's just bad"

3.1/5  rDev -21.1%

Pours pitch black with foamy coffee colored head. Aroma of vanilla bean, custard, chocolate and roasted coffee maltiness. Tastes like a sweet desert. Very creamy custard with lots of vanilla and roasted caramel maltiness and some butterscotch. Sweet and roasty with a dry bitter hop finish.

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a very very dark opaque brown that was almost black. There was no significant head, but instead a little island of mocha foam on the top with a ring around the glass. Smell was mostly sweet sugar, with just a touch of burnt to well emulate the creme brulee smell. No other aroma was noticeable. That taste was smooth, slightly over sweet, more like store bought frozen creme brulee than a freshly made one. It had a slight alcohol after taste. Felt solid in the mouth, coated extremely well with no carbonation, but a bit of bitterness on the tongue. Alcohol was masked well, but hit quickly, and it was too sweet to do anything but sip slowly.

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

Got this thanks to my guy at binnys reccomending it. Poured a nice dark brown almost black out of a 22 oz bomber. The aroma was like creme brule. Sweet and cinnamony. It tasted just like it smelled and was very smooth. I had to leave the drinkability down because i couldnt finish the beer it was just too sweet to knock out in one sitting.

4.04/5  rDev +2.8%

Black, but not the darkest in stout appearances, not too much head. Smells like what its titled. Thought it would be too sweet from the smell, but the malt and hops definetly bittered the vanilla bean aroma. First pour from the bomber was a little sweet, but the second pour, which had come closer to room temperature was almost perfect in balance. I usually like my stouts to gain most of their flavor from the hops and yeast, but southern tier makes some great flavored stouts. I would definetly recommend this as a dessert beer after a late night dinner.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

This beer had the usual appearance of a stout nice tan/light brown head . The first smell caught me off guard with a big wiff of dessert like sweetness . The taste backed up the smell "wholely dessert batman" this is the ultimate after dinner beer . Mouthfeel was very heavy close to syrup like but great for a dessert type sipping beer . The drinkability was good but with the alcohol level and heavyness it brought down the drinkability

3.97/5  rDev +1%

Shared with a buddy for dessert.

Black, brown hued.

Smell is straight up brown sugar cookie dough. I swear. With some Bailey's. Sweetest smelling beer ever. I literally can't believe how sweet this smells.

Tastes ridiculously sweet and rich. Almost sickeningly sweet, yet yummy. Vanilla liquer. Bailey's Irish Cream. Cookie dough.

Thick and creamy, smooth as silk, like making love in a bottle. Uh, yeah.

Quite possibly the most unique beer experience ever.

I knew it would be different, but this is crazy. I'm trying to judge it for what it is. Good thing I had a buddy to help (not that I wouldn't down this smartly if need be). RICH!!!!

Overall: awesome once a year beer

4.49/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance: Dark brown, near black body with a thinnish, short-lived, light beige head.

Smell: Oh-so sweet-smelling aroma crammed with full notes of roast, vanilla beans, charred sugars, caramel, chocolate and burnt cream.

Taste: Strong flavors of dark caramel, chocolate, roast, unbaked cookie dough, honey-soaked oven-toasted nuts, and fresh vanilla. Tons of sweetness throughout. Southern Tier, like the Indians, used every part of the vanilla bean. Creamy milk, fire-licked sugar crust. Touch of roasty bitterness, but, let's be honest, nowhere near the level needed to even begin to temper the dessert-like sweetness. All of the flavors race across the palate on the way to the coffee-ish finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium-low carbonation. Creamy, velvety, succulent mouthfeel.

Drinkability: All kinds of fantastic. Very yummy, very luscious, very enjoyable. Highly recommended, but beware, as this is a true love it or hate it brew. Hopefully, you'll be in the love it camp.

4.71/5  rDev +19.8%

Props to Jw347, cheers Jonathan!

Pours mahogany with a pinky of tan head. Above average head retention & average lacing

S: Rich caramel & coffee, & a touch of coconut; & a touch of cinnamon as this warms; yummy

T: Yummy caramel & a touch of coffee, some leafy hops hiding in the background up front. Coffee grounds do battle with chocolate & more caramel as this warms. Finishes much caramel & creamy chocolate notes. This is pulled off nicely

MF: Medium bodied, some stickyness, semi-creamy & low carbonation

Drinks pretty good, I could pound a few with dessert, a cheese tray or even a red curry. Will ding it a bit, because it would grown old after about 2 pints as a stand alone session beer. The ABV is artfully hidden

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

This brew pours up a solid black color with no light escaping it's depths. It has a nice big bubbly tan head with great retentive lacing on my Duvel glass.

The nose is very sweet. I get candied caramel, sweet vanilla extract (guessing its the aromatic blend of the vanilla bean and the lactose sugar), nice big malt character trying to creep its way in.

The taste is phenominal. It smells nothing like that of a beer yet still tastes just as damn good as a damn good beer should taste. Big bodied malts, hints of milk chocolate, coffee creamer, sugar, dry vanilla bean, just enough hops to keep this beer from being over sweet (I get the biggest hop character as it comes outta my mouth when I burp!), subtle coffee bean.

This brew is full bodied and has a medium to low amount of carbo.

I could review this beer all day but I gotta get back to "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles"...

2.63/5  rDev -33.1%

It should be noted that Southern Tier doesn't lie. Pumking tastes like pumpkins, Choklat tastes of chocolate. And this sort of tastes like Creme Brulee, but it also tastes heavily of French vanilla creamer. That shit you have in the office that allows people to suffer through the coffee that they really don't like just to stay awake.

I don't need artificiality to mask my beer. And I don't want it. But I got it here. Now I have to figure out what to do with it.

It pours to a translucent dark brown than mimics black in most lights. The beige head is small and fleeting.
It noses purely of vanilla syrup. Small touches of dark breads, but the flavored syrup is king. I love the smell of vanilla, but not so much when it drowns out everything else in my beer.
Burnt caramel malt is lain across the tongue. Creme Brulee indeed. Then scads of powdered vanilla-tinged coffee. It's like a gas station French Vanilla Cappuccino...with extra vanilla creamer.
I'm a sucker for vanilla. But it simply suffocates every nuance of this beer. Even the 10% alcohol can't poke through it.
The medium full body lays a glassy canvas for all the vanilla to unfold upon. But the vanilla cloys and clots upon itself and fucks it all up.
Give me roast! Give me malt! Give me beer! Give me some semblance of stout, and then I might begin to appreciate the rampant and ridiculous about of vanilla.
Again, they've nailed the flavoring aspect, but utterly neglected the basic beer traits. Drinking a pint+ of International Delight seems roughly the same (cut with a small amount of coffee). And I'm not joking.

This might have itself some small moment as a after dinner or cigar beer, but 22ozs of this is lunacy.
Let's have some fucking beer already.

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured this in to a snifter from a 22oz bottle. This pours a very deep black with a delicate pale head that dissipates quickly. Smelling this is all vanilla and caramel these are so strong that I really don't get anything else... but that is not bad. Taste is a very sweet rich creamy caramel and vanilla.. I was expecting the sweetness but this is far beyond what I anticipated, this would par well with pecan pie or enjoyed for desert. Drinkablity wise I really enjoyed it, but the sweetness of it made the one glass I had plenty.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company