Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
Fluffmeister

08-22-2013 02:31:18 | More by Commando
dowen17

Alabama

3.41/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours black with a huge, creamy milk chocolate colored head. Leaves some decent lacing down the glass but the head recedes to a small cap.

Smell is of pure caramel. Melted candy corn. Some alcohol. Really REALLY sweet. Also some vanilla extract.

Tastes like a melted caramel candy. Candy corn, vanilla extract, sweet sweet malt, and alcohol. This beer does not hide the alcohol well at all. Definitely a dessert beer though.

Mouthfeel is creamy and chewy. Not the thickest beer in the world but very nice.

Overall this beer would be great with a slice of cake. Not something you could drink every day because its VERY sweet but its good.

08-22-2013 00:15:04 | More by dowen17

08-20-2013 02:40:50 | More by Hoptoudrop
dcsti22

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Dark Dark Dark, oily appearance

S: Creme Brule. That is all I can say. It smells amazing. Vanilla is dominant, it smells super sweet.

T: Overall well balanced, the vanilla and caramel compliment each other nicely up front, a tiny bit of booziness at the end.

M: Medium mouthfeel, it TASTES super sweet, I am not sure if that takes away from the experience or not.

O: I loved it, I do like sweet things, I have read a lot of reviews stating that this is too sweet. It is def pleasing to consume, but share the love :)

08-20-2013 02:06:32 | More by dcsti22

clewis901

08-19-2013 19:48:19 | More by clewis901
StoutHunter

3.56/5  rDev -8.2%

I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier's Creme Brulee last month for $8.99 at The Lager Mill. I'm pretty sure I tried this beer a long time ago and I don't remember anything about it, so when I saw it on the shelf I thought I should pick it up and give it a proper review, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's not that eye catching, but it has lots of great information on it and I think that's a nice touch. It poured a very dark brown color that was on the border of being black that didn't really let any light come through and it had three fingers worth of creamy tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left tons of lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer the color was nice and the head and lacing were really good.

S- The aroma starts off with a ton of sweetness followed by some nice chocolate aromas that are quickly overpowered by lots of caramel, butterscotch, vanilla, and maple syrup like aromas that pretty much dominant the aroma of this beer. As soon as I cracked the cap of the bottle I could smell it and I'm pretty sure if someone blindly smelled it there would be no way that they could tell that it's actually a beer. The aroma was pretty good, it wasn't very beer like but I found it to be pretty enjoyable.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a huge amount of sweetness followed by some slightly bitter dark chocolate flavors that give way to tons of vanilla, butterscotch, and caramel flavors that seem dominant this beer and they really don't let any other flavors come through. Up next comes a somewhat lighter amount of alcohol that is only slightly warming. On the finish comes some more sweetness with a lighter amount of bitterness and very caramel, vanilla, and butterscotch like aftertaste that seems to stick around a little bit. This was a nice tasting beer, the flavors were pretty much as advertised but I thought the sweetness was out of hand.

M- Fairly smooth, sticky, cloying, creamy, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent but I thought it was too cloying and sticky.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer. it's for sure not a great example of an Imperial Stout, but as a dessert beer I think it's a pretty good example of the style, the flavor was exactly as advertised. This beer had pretty bad drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little filling and the flavors did a decent job at holing my attention, but the sweetness was so high that there's no way that I could every drink a full bomber of it, half the bottle was a bit of a struggle and I think that splitting a bottle between four or five people would be good. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both pretty good and worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the sweetness, it was just way too high and it's up there as one of the sweeter beers I have had and that really hurt the drinkability. I wouldn't by this beer again, maybe if I was going to a tasting and I thought some people would like, but other than that I won't be buying another bottle anytime soon and I don't think age would improve this beer. I would recommend this to anyone who likes sweet dessert beers. All in all I liked this beer a lot at first, but the more I drank it the more it wore on me, the flavors were nice, but I wish more of that stout base come through and that the sweetness was really toned down, I felt like i may need an insulin shot after i drank half of the bomber. I appreciate the effort it took to make this beer, but in the end it just didn't come together as good as it could have, better luck next time guys.

08-19-2013 03:54:29 | More by StoutHunter