Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.
Reviews: 1,373 | Hads: 4,248
4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Dark as night with a big brown head. Lacing is amazing and retention is moderate.

S: Amazing unique nose on this beer. The vanilla and cream come through in amazing amounts. Alcohol is present in the nose, but is mostly hidden. Plenty of malt character as well.

T: Plenty of lactose sweetness and roasted malt character are right in the forefront of the flavor. Caramel is present in the flavor as well. There is a bit of alcohol in the palate, but it is well hidden by the sweetness.

M: Thick and smooth and creamy. Quite good.

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into a red wine glass at my hotel(winging it)...

Creme Brulee pours deep dark brown, ample tan head and lacing..looks sticky as I swirl..definately has a nice look to it...

There is no grey area about what this beer is...the smell is one sided..burnt cream and coffee hit the nose, with an undenyable sweetness..smells like dessert..

The taste follows the theme nicely..a sweet burnt coffe with creme and sugar is what I am reminded of..there is a slight hop presence there, and it lingers well with coffee bitterness..alchohol is masked..

Mouthfeel is pleasing, supple and well carbonated, verysatisfying I that aspect..

Overall this beer is not very drinkable, I would find it difficult to finsh this entire 22oz by myself...but it is what it is..a dessert beer..it is called Creme Brulee..and it delivers...

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Color: Dark,dark, dark brown. Light carbonation, hardly any head, leaves behind minimal lacing.

Nose: Big vanilla flavors followed by hints of rich caramel and molasses. Somewhere in the background you get hints of cream/milk and mellow coffee.

Palate: Medium bodied with explosive flavor. Caramel and vanilla hit the mouth first and toward the back of the tongue you get coffee and malty goodness

Finish: Some dryness and loss of complexity. This beer is all A's until you get to this point. The sweetness kinda goes away all the flavor seems to have disappeared. Kinda of a let down, but still better than most stouts on the market.

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

~Purchased this 22 oz bomber from Big Z Beverage in Huntington, NY. You are either going to love this concoction or hate it. I actually enjoyed every moment of this gem from the first sip to its last. Even if imperial milk stout's aren't your thing, you should give this beer a try at least once - you will not be disappointed! The 10% ABV is undetectable, so drink carefully. Wonderful beer! ~

4.59/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is a very sweet, smooth and well balanced brew. I have been waiting on this beer to get here to Alabama. This brew should be paired with a good dessert or just alone after a great meal. This brew is most definitely a panty dropper. Chicks must really love this brew as well. If you can get your hands on this brew you need to stag a few bottles. Most definitely worth it.

3.76/5  rDev -4.3%

poured into my ommegang tulip

A- pours pitch black with a thin tan head that disappears pretty quickly.

S - burnt sugar along with smells of butteriness and coffee mate.

T - to me it tastes like a sweeter than normal milk stout. lots of the same qualities in the taste as in the aroma.

M - a bit syrupy but pretty silky and pleasant.

D - when I first took my initial sip I was blown away, what a delicious beer but towards the end of the bottle it became difficult to finish due the sweetness. This seems like it would pair well with some typw of robust food to balance out the sweetness.overall a really nice and different beer, but is probably best shared with a friend or two. a glass would do me just fine..

4.44/5  rDev +13%

This beer has the best nose of any beer I have ever sniffed.

The smell is of candied butterscotch. I could sniff this beer all day.

The taste matches the nose. Butterscotch up front. Extremely sweet beer. Almost too sweet. I give this a high rating because it is delicious, however it should be noted that I can only really have this in about a 6oz portion. Anymore and it is too much. Perfect to split a bottle between a couple of friends. Great dessert beer.

4.17/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a growler into a pint glass.

Pours a deep pitch black with a thin off-white head. The smell is incredible, smells like sugar and vanilla, just like a creme brulee. Taste follows suit, there is a deep rich oak like character with a lot of alcohol flavor. Tastes very much like caramelized sugar and cream. Low carbonation, very viscous mouthfeel. Overall this is one of the most delicious milk stouts I've had in a long time. I highly recommend giving this a try if you can get a hold of it.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks again to the Bier Stein for stocking this beer.

A: Black like oil, thin tan head that disapates sort of quickly.

S: Smells like carmel candy. Could also pick up a nose full of vanilla, chocolate, molasses. A very nice smelling beer.

T: It was quite sweet like candy. Vanilla is very present in the taste. I let it warm up a bit, and could taste some of the booze coming through.

M: A nice thick stout that was very creamy and easy to swallow.

D: I bought this beer based mainly out of curiosity. I've had the Choklat before, and I thought that was the tastiest beer I've ever had. This beer is quite tasty as well, and I may try it again sooner or later.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

A- Jet black with slight carbonation. Slight tan head.

S- Smells exactly like a creme brulee. You can definitely smell the caramel and vanilla.

T- Very sweet, much like drinking a creme brulee but more like thick syrup. A nice burnt sweet forefront that cascades to a creamy backend. The lactose sugar and vanilla masks the alcohol magnificently. I've had numerous beers that attempt to mimic desserts but this one truly nails it. This beer truly smells and tastes like a creme brulee. Outstanding job by Southern Tier.

M- Slight carbonation on the front of the tongue but overall a creamy mouthfeel.

D- I could drink this very easily and it goes down very easily for a 10% ABV imperial stout.

Overall- Very strange brew but very impressive offering. I'm impressed by Southern Tier's creativity and how well crafted this beer is.

2.66/5  rDev -32.3%

This is the second beer in the controversy series, thanks to SBALDWIN...and once again, no freshness date.

Poured this bomber into a snifter...another thin head that immediately vanishes. Some minimal root beer cream soda lacing noted on the sides of the glass. Deep brown body with some ruby highlights. Not overly impressive to look at.

Wow! This smells right down my alley. Large doses of burnt sugars, butterscotch, and a hit of bourbonesque alcohol vapors. Light notes of coffee and caramel peeking through the foreground.

It happened again...burnt bitter caramel up front with a super sweet artificial finish. Almost comparable to a rum and vanilla coke. Lots of imitation vanilla all the way through...

I'll sum up the mouthfeel and drinkability together being as though they both fail miserably. There was no body to this beer...it was a watery overcarbonated syrup that is too artificially sweet to be enjoyed.

I don't like the direction that my beer drinking has taken me lately. I'm looking forward to breaking into the cellar soon and bringing out some grade A stout bombs so I can find out if it's the brews or if it's me.

3.21/5  rDev -18.3%

Pours dark black with little head and little lacing. Scent is very pronounced - caramel and vanilla. It was something I couldn't stop smelling just because of the uniqueness. The taste is of caramel, butterscotch, and then mocha. Very sweet. I find it somewhat hard to judge the taste since it's very unique and complex - but it's just overwhelming. It is medium-thick-bodied and seems somewhat syrupy, but this might just be a result of the mental association with the sweet taste. I enjoyed how unique this was, but it is not something I can drink a lot of, it's just too sweet and overwhelming. I was unable to finish a 22oz in one sitting.

4.29/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a deep brown color with a thin head and only a little lacing. Smells and tastes strongly of vanilla. Dense and sweet, but balanced with just the right amount of hops. Creamy mouthfeel. Alcohol is forward, but, again, well balanced. Overall a very tasty stout.

3.97/5  rDev +1%

Very dark brown without much of a head. Strong vanilla nose with some chocolate but mostly vanilla and lots and lots of it.

This is truly a dessert beer, sweet and sticky with a soft, smooth feel to it. Vanilla flavor is almost over the top. Burnt sugar hides behind the vanilla. Somehow they managed to get creme brulee into a bottle. It's definitely a sipper for after dinner.

I don't think many will be neutral about this one but for me, it was nice.

4.21/5  rDev +7.1%

22oz bottle into a tulip.

Pours black with a thick tan head. Head fades quickly, leaving some lacing around the edges.

Smells is dominated by vanilla and caramel. Some burnt sugar and butterscotch. Lactose is noticable. Very sweet.

Tastes like a latte. Vanilla and caramel come trough strong again. Toffee or butterscotch flavors are noticeable. A definite hop presence as well. Alcohol is there a little at the end.

Mouthfeel is creamy with some carbonation. Exactly as I expected it to feel.

Overall drinkablity is high. If you're into milk stouts or sweet stouts, this is for you. Possibly the sweetest beer I've had, so this definitely appeases my sweet tooth. Not sure if I could drink these all night but it is an excellent experience.

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

Creme Brulee Imperial Milk Stout is an excellent dessert beer, NOT a session beer at all. I've only seen this available in large pint bottles and is a seasonal summer release brewed by the wonderfully creative folks at Southern Tier. Pours a dark brown with decent clarity and a negligible head. The smell/nose is INCREDIBLE! The second you pour this your slapped in the face with overwhelming aromas of real vanilla beans. A first sip confirms what you smell and the back notes are full of toffee, java, and roasted nuts. The [mouth] feel is very common of other milk stouts; creamy with an appropriate amount of carbonation. The only downfall to this is that it is overwhelming after a while(as any real creme brulee is). If you like vanilla and good coffee I highly recommend this, I also recommend that you split it with some friends as the ABV is around 10% and finishing a whole pint yourself will leave you feeling a little gluttonous.

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

last beer in a night of stouts.

full head with plenty of retention.

aroma is out of control. butterscotch, werthers originals, others were saying it was exactly like the generic brand of yellow plastic wrapped butterscotch candies found in every convenience store. i dont remember them, so i cant attest to that, but everyone else was in agreement over that. vanilla extract, milky caramel, a touch of nut, a touch of... tree? perfumey with weird but very minimal hints of spice and maybe watermelon. some oddities buried under the butterscotch.
also, about twenty minutes after the bottle had been poured, i left the room and upon walking back, i could smell it from outside the room. the most aromatic beer ive had.

taste is ultra creamy milk, vanilla, butterscotch. some of that perfume here as well.

creamy with a cola carbonation.

the sweetness really impedes the drinkability. would highly dissuade anyone from tackling a bottle by his- or herself. everything else is thumbs up delicious, though. my friend justin said something along the lines of "its beers like that that show me how far beer has come. turning water into fancy-ass water..." and its not fancy water. its definitely fancy-ass water. wow.

4.64/5  rDev +18.1%

Black with red highlights, creamy tan head of about 1/4 inch that falls to a ring and minimal lacing.

Sweet milk caramel, vanilla and a mild background of deep roasted malts and hints of alcohol. Candy in a glass.

This is definitely an imperial. Huge sweet caramel and vanilla front with a bit of roasted malts, has quite the kick of alcohol and finishes with the slightest hint of bitterness from something perhaps referred to as "hops". WoW.

Thick and smooth, slight carbonation and fills the mouth. Heavy bodied but does not coat the mouth.

Buy one of these to split as it is intensely strong but wow, there's a lot of beer in that beer. I'll be done (and happy) after one of these.

Impulse buy by my wife. We have tried other Southern Tier brews. Nice pick.

1.71/5  rDev -56.5%

This is a beer I cannot get into, I was so pumped when it came out, I drove to the brewery and found that it was the worst tasting beer at Soutern Tier. It tasted so fake, like they used some real cheap off flacoring to give it that sweet taste. And it was more vanilla tasting than I thought it should be. It does look nice and smell pretty good but it end there.

4.64/5  rDev +18.1%

Dark like a dark chocolate. Not quite opaque, but difficult to get an eye through. A bit of foamy head which leaves a pleasant lacing.

Whoa! Creme brulee all the way! This was definitely made to smell like dessert. Vanilla, chocolate, caramel... I don't even know what else to say. This is beer, right?

Vanilla and coffee beans, with a chocolatey sweetness. It's kind of milky too, certainly more so than a lot of milk stouts I've had. A bit of heat comes in as I swallow, but it isn't upsetting. There's a bitterness, but it reminds me way more of a strong coffee than hops. Not to say there isn't a hops presence though. It's just in the background, and has more of a grassy quality.

Thick like milk, and medium/low in carbonation. You can definitely taste it for a while.

Well, I have no reason to lie. I love this beer. I'm a big vanilla bean fan though, so if you're not a vanilla person you should skip this. I for one wish this was available all the time, as I have a hard enough time finding the vanilla beers I lust after. This is well made, and makes a delicious desert or sweet snack beer. Just look out for the ABV.

3.66/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Again I find milk stouts too rich for me. It seems like there is a protein element present that is off putting. This one looks great and the body is nice and thick. The nose is strong butterscotch which would be quite nice if it were toned down a bit. It's just too sweet and strong. The taste is similarly overloaded to the point that I finds self just trying to get it down instead of spending any time with it. I don't want to knock it too much since others seem to be high on it, just coming to the conclusion that this family is not for me.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Purchased a couple bottles of this beer with the intent on using one to bake with and the other to share with my girl. We're sharing one now and I have to say it's rather enjoyable although I can't see myself drinking a whole bottle so I'm glad I'm sharing this one.

It smells as advertised, extremely sweet. Lots of caramel and vanilla. Vanilla extract strong. Some maltiness but the sweet notes overpower everything. I also get some booze and a little chocolate as well.

The taste bakes the nose up. Vanilla, caramel, sugar, and more sugar. Some roastiness on the back end and a little bit of malt as well. I also get some bitter chocolate and a bit more booze on the palate than on the nose. The mouthfeel is heavy, really heavy. It's almost too heavy but it suits the style so I forgive the weight of it.

It's a really interesting beer and one I'm glad to have tried. As I said earlier, I don't think I could drink a whole bomber on my own but this is certainly a beer I'll drink once or twice a year. Once or twice will be it though. I can't wait to eat the brownies my girlfriend is going to make with the other bottle.

3.73/5  rDev -5.1%

Just a shade shy of pitch black with a surprisingly light tan slight head that quickly becomes just a ring. Leaves some lace, but not enough to get excited about. Smell is SWEET. It smells like Creme Brulee. I mean almost exactly like creme brulee. Loads of vanilla and some cocoa. No perceptible alcohol or yeast here. Taste follows exactly where you would expect it to. Loads of vanilla, some marshmallow, and a hint of cocoa. Actually it reminds me very much of creme brulee flavored salt water taffy, but I'm not sure why. This comes across as more of a liqueur than a beer, but again no detectable alcohol warming. Feel is thick and somewhat viscous. Drinkability is low, mostly due to the almost overwhelming sweetness. Well worth a try, if only for the uniqueness.

4.11/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from the bomber into a tulip.

Do you like sweet things? You may like this beer. Do you like sweet things that are so sweet they make you exclaim, 'aahhh?' Then that's one step in the right direction. Do you like things that are so sweet they're fluffy pink kittens that poop rainbows? Then Southern Tier's Imperial Crème Brûlée Stout is the beer for you.

The Crème Brûlée Stout pours like a normal stout, motor oil dark. If you hold the beer up to the light it'll eclipse that shit, which is a quality I greatly appreciate in a beer. My pour yielded very little head and I poured it intentionally to yield the maximum amount of head possible. The smell of this beer rocks my nose senses to the max! Seriously, I wish they made candles that smelled like this, because I'd totally go fruity and buy some and have 'em lit 24/7.

"What's that smell? It's like only six in the morning."
"That's mo' fuckin' vanilla mocha sex!"

You know there's vanilla in the beer the moment you smell it, you would have known before that if you read the label. The smell of the vanilla is very dominant, but also present are chocolate characteristics and a hint of coffee. It really smells like a vanilla caramel mocha. Drinking it drives this point home. But boy is Crème Brûlée Stout sweeet! Drinking it can be a little taxing, so you absolutely have to take your time drinking, a sipper as it were. There's a slight amount of hops present but the vanilla beats the hops down like they're Oliver asking for more. It's called Imperial Crème Brûlée Stout for a fucking reason. This is a great dessert beer. In fact I had it once with some double layered chocolate cake and it made my dick move.

Take your time with this beer and if you enjoy sweet things then you'll like this beer. The mouth-feel is thick and rich, it's a real delight to drink. The smell is wonderful and the taste is very unique. Try it.

Plus there's totally cows on the label, what's not to love?

3.74/5  rDev -4.8%

I've heard a lot of good things about Southern Tier, so I picked up this, Pumking, and Mokah. Here goes nothing.

22oz bottle with no date served into a Goose Island pint glass at 42 degrees (as stated on the bottle).

A- Pour yields roughly one finger of mocha colored head that disappears a little too quickly for my liking. I prefer a nice beer moustache from time to time...Jet black color with some carbonation bubbles collecting on the sides. Looks okay.

S- Really unique. Smells of an extremely rich dessert coffee. Lots of vanilla in here, some cinnamon (dare I say). Smells like a birthday cake.

T- Just like the nose, it has a superb richness to it. Some cappuccino, coffee, vanilla. I say some, but what i mean is "up the wazoo". How much sugar is in this?

M- perhaps there is a little too much carbonation, but the beer is incredibly smooth for 9.6%.

O- Based on reading other reviews, I expected this to be a little out there in terms of originality and uniqueness. I've had nothing like this before, and while it's a really fun beer to have, it's not something I'll be going back to too often, mainly because it's extremely rich. It's a true sipper. Maybe it's just me, but this tasted more like a tiramisu than it did creme brulee, but I love both, so who cares?

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company