Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
StonedTrippin

Colorado

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

i should start by saying a bomber of this for a single person is more than challenging. its downright difficult. however, this is a clever one, totally distinct from anything else ive ever had out there. the pours is inky black, just a little brown left visible, with zero head, just a think mocha colored film. the nose is brilliant, burnt sugar, scorched chocolate malt, brown butter, brutal sweetness, this has all the elements of a delicious french dessert. the flavor too is very akin to the genuine article, although it is a diminishing marginal return really, as the sweetness starts to rot the teeth and the gut after about a third of the bottle. vanilla beans heavy through the front end, while the brnt sugar custardy component comes in later. the dark malts last throughout. alcohol also becomes quite potent as it warms up. the feel is thick as any beer ive had i think, super dense, quite custardesque really, as it well should be. minimal carbonation exacerbates this feature. overall im glad i got to try this, because it truly is yummy and unique, but this is not a beer that can be consumed with any kind of efficiency or regularity, it is indeed a monster. the sugar just makes it gnarly to drink much of. the label is brilliant, and the beer is just as good. a must try, but proceed with a couple of buddies!

11-21-2012 16:06:09 | More by StonedTrippin
SocalKicks

07-29-2013 02:52:20 | More by SocalKicks
oline73

11-15-2011 02:19:58 | More by oline73
mdfb79

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass. A 2009 bottle that says the ABV is 10.0%.

a - Pours a dark brown with a little bit of carbonation and 1.5 fingers of tan head that has great retention and lacing.

s - This is one amazing smelling beer. Very sweet with lots of caramel, butterscotch, vanilla, and malts. Maybe a little chocolate.

t - Follows the nose. Lots of butterscotch and very sweet. Some vanilla and malts as well. Aftertaste is more caramel and butterscotch with hints of booze.

m - Medium to full body with light carbonation. Very thick and creamy.

d - Thought this was a great stout. If you like sweet smells and tastes, you'd probably like this; if you like butterscotch or caramel, you'd probably love it. The only knock I can see against it is a 22 oz. bottle being too much to drink by yourself due to the sweetness. Personally this isn't a problem for me as I enjoy sweet caramel/butterscotch, but I know some people who can't. Either way, this could be a great stout to share with some friends with dessert.

03-17-2010 00:48:47 | More by mdfb79
mactrail

Washington

2.96/5  rDev -23.7%

I believe this may be the most outrageously flavored malt beverage I've ever tasted. I won't go so far as to say "beer." Actually, a malt liqueur is exactly what it is. Start with a shot glass or a tiny wine glass of it. Chocolate milk taste, only intensified and scorched, and blended with some kind of blackened malt brew. To say this tastes like vanilla is like saying gulping 151 rum is kind of hot.

It's not totally sweet, it's just that the flavor seems to channel the sugar receptor right to the brain. I suppose this might be good with some equally sweet dessert so you could pretend this is Drambuie. I guess the key to whether you would score this high or not is how much you like that totally sugary sensation, like Mexican candy or Greek preserved fruit. I give it an "N" for Novelty.

Dark brown in color average carbonation in the glass and in the mouth. Some sharp notes which we may thank the carbonation for. Bitter aftertaste adds to the confusion. From the 22 oz bottle bought at Bottleworks in Seattle.

03-30-2014 05:53:51 | More by mactrail
jwc215

Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Pours black with a tan head that thins and stays, leaving lacing. Great retention for abv.

The smell is of creme brulee. Incredible how they replicated it - custard and vanilla very strong - It's not "like" or "reminiscent of" it IS...

Tastes like a creme brulee too, though there is a roasted and bitterish undertone to let you know that this is a beer with creme brulee flavor. There is a touch of roast - some burnt sugar - and bitterness to keep it sweet enough, but not sticky or cloying. Chocolate notes appear as it progresses, adding to the complexity.

It has a rich, full, creamy body.

Incredible how they did this - a creme brulee beer, for sure. An awesome dessert beer. They replicated a creme brulee while keeping balance to the sweetness. Alcohol covered reasonably well. A nice, smooth, sipper!

09-08-2008 01:33:44 | More by jwc215
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.48/5  rDev -10.3%

A massive wall of vanilla cream hits my nose just after I vigorously pour this beer; smells more like desert than just about anything, it is actually more concentrated than an actual crème brûlèe. The head form an initially three-finger thick, frothy, lightly browned, tan colored head in my 25cl tulip glass. The vanilla is just so overwhelming and loud, you really can't smell much else; luckily the vanilla note itself is not overly one dimensional, it is full enough that I am sure the brewer used actual vanilla beans (and a ton of them at that). If you like sweet and vanilla then this aroma is good, luckily I was ready for desert so this beer is fulfilling that urge so far. After warming up a bit the aroma takes on a touch of nuttiness and a butterscotch note becomes a bit more prominent.

Thick and rich up front with enough of a viscous body to make this a sipping brew; to be honest though it is not quite as rich and full as the aroma led me to believe. The vanilla notes are definitely far and away the dominant note here in the flavor as well, but some other flavors manage to assert themselves just enough to be noticeable. This finishes with a touch of hot alcohol, that in combination with the vanilla makes me think of Bourbon. Sweet, in fact incredibly sweet, though again not quite as much as the aroma might have suggested. The vanilla flavors contribute or bring out notes of butterscotch, Bourbon, . Not overly roasted, but some roast malt flavors seem to add a touch to the finish with a bit of bitterness. As this beer warms there is a slight nuttiness to the flavor that is a bit like browned butter and the flavors definitely lean towards burnt as the beer rolls across the palate.

I knew this beer was going to be a sweet, sticky, incredibly vanilla laden beer coming into this. For that reason I waited until I was really wanting dessert to have it. The aroma definitely satisfied any dessert fix that I might have wanted, but "strangely" I find the flavors not quite rich enough as this could use more roast malt flavors and a thicker, more complex malt base. That strangely in that last sentence is important, because if I was not ready for the overbearing vanilla and sweetness here I likely would have found this beer a sickly sweet, train wreck of an Imperial Stout; properly forewarned & with the right occasion, this beer, while overly simplistic, is not quite half bad and is even enjoyable if had in small doses.

08-02-2008 03:45:36 | More by Gueuzedude
Rochefort10nh

New Hampshire

11-21-2011 17:45:04 | More by Rochefort10nh
smcolw

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Modest beige head. The liquid is near black--no light passes through the glass. Slippery lace that slides back into the head.

This truly smells like creme brulee: very sweet vanilla with caramelized table sugar.

Lots of burnt sugar flavor--too burnt for a good creme brulee. There's an element of coffee/mocha to the bitterness. The body is rich, almost oily. Light hop in the background.

09-26-2010 18:20:25 | More by smcolw
Halcyondays

4.5/5  rDev +16%

22 oz. bottle, served at approximately 55 degrees,

A: Pours a very dark brown when held up to the light. Into a snifter it went, with a long-lasting off-white/light tan head and a smattering of lacing.

S: This is the best part. Upon opening the bottle, I was greeted with this heavenly decadent butterscotch aroma, like smelling the most delicious dessert in the world. A beautiful smell, in the top 3 best smells in a beer ever along with another Southern Tier product - Choklat, and a vintage Bell's Old Ale.

T: Taste is delicious and decadent as well. Espresso coffee with cream comes out first, a little more bitter than I expected from the roasted grains, but it was quite tasty nonetheless. Molasses and vanilla are lighter than they were in the nose, but they still offer up outstanding secondary flavours, I would have liked a little more vanilla, as I'm a huge fan of the flavour, but this was quite nice, it's more balanced with all the flavours this way than if I had my way. The flavour profile ends with a distinct hop bite, which shocked me a little going in, as I expected it to be all malt, vanilla and spice flavours. I was taken aback at first, but as the brew continued to disappear from my glass and as it warmed up, I found the grassy hop notes melded really well with the coffee flavours. The ultimate dessert in a glass beer, I'm not giving it a 5, although it's close, I still would have liked a little less hop character, but this is still outstanding.

M: The carbonation is very soft, the brew is rather light-bodied for a big stout which I liked because the mouthfeel does not weigh the beer down, it's quite drinkable in it's style, which would make it a great dessert pairing.

D: I had this beer by itself, and I loved it, but it begs to be paired with an after dinner dessert. Wow, Southern Tier makes good beer. I envy all you East Coasters for having easy access to this stuff. In the top 5 of new beers I've had this year for sure. This is a sipper to sit back and enjoy, I would love to get another bottle of this.

10-14-2008 00:35:59 | More by Halcyondays
mendvicdog

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

09-22-2012 19:14:38 | More by mendvicdog
Gavage

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: black in color with a 2" head that lingers around a while.

Smell: loads of vanilla, roasted malts, and some coffee aroma are most notable.

Taste: big malt profile with loads of vanilla, dark bitter chocolates, brown sugar, and espresso. Bitterness helps cut into the big sweetness here.

Mouthfeel: heavier in body. Smooth from start to finish. Aftertaste is very long as the flavors stick to your tongue.

Drinkability: after completing the bomber bottle, I kind of lost interest in having any more. This is a one or two glass beer at best.

01-29-2009 12:09:56 | More by Gavage
beernads

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

07-03-2013 08:27:20 | More by beernads
kojevergas

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

Alright; I've heard just about all there is to hear about this beer. I'm walking into it open-minded; I think this is my first beer from Southern Tier. Expectations are high; I like the sound of it. Acquired at a local beer store for $15.00 (this shit's hard to come by in Los Angeles). 9.60% ABV confirmed. I don't have a snifter on-hand, so I'm serving the 650ml brown glass bottle with a standard pressure cap into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in Los Feliz. Reviewed live.

Served after a period of rest from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of its consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger tan colour head of good cream and thickness, and great retention considering the high ABV. Body colour is a nontransparent opaque solid black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Pretty appealing for the style.

Sm: Sweet Jesus, that is one hell of an aroma. Overpowering creme brulee: custard, vanilla, sweet sugar, and luxurious dessert. Staggeringly appealing. I can't wait to try it. Buttery as all hell. I'm wary of the sweetness, but I'll bite. It's exactly as it should be considering the aims of the beer.

T: Heavy vanilla sweetness with custard and buttery qualities abound. Yes, that definitely tastes like creme brulee. And it's not as artificial as some have noted. Cream, custard, sugar, whipped cream, sinful vanilla dessert notes. Wow. Maltiness is hidden actually; I couldn't tell you if the malts were dark or light based on the taste alone. I assume they're dark. No roast at all. No real chocolate. Just creme brulee throughout, like a tasteful dessert wine. Definitely meets its aims, but the sweetness is quite over the top. I don't know if I want to finisht his whole bottle. No yeast or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth, wet, creamy, clean, sinful. As buttery and sugary as they come. Suits the flavour profile near perfectly. Good thickness and carbonation.

Dr: Wow. This really does taste like creme brulee. It's right up there in the best specialty beers, for sure. The drinkability, however, is quite limited. Frankly, they bottled it in too large a bottle. No one in their right mind would want to consume the entirety of this bottle alone. I of course will do so because I'm not a pretentious twat who drainpours everything that isn't good enough for my posh lips. It hides its ABV remarkably well and would pair brilliantly with actual creme brulee, but the drinkability is very limited. This is one hell of a beer and it's certainly unique. I don't think anyone denies that. For that reason alone, every beer fanatic needs to try it at least once. Preferably in a small pour, though. This is a dentist's nightmare.

B

11-19-2012 04:06:55 | More by kojevergas
GClarkage

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

05/15/09- Purchased at Chucks Wines in Chargin Falls, OH.

Presentation- 22oz bottle with no freshness info. Poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance- Brown colored pour. About a 1/2 inch head which turns into small bubbles. Leaves some light spotting of lace behind.

Smell- Smells dead on like a mix of creme brulee and kalhua. Very nice and potent scent.

Taste- Extremely rich and almost sickeningly sweet. I then looked at the label and it said to drink at 42 degrees rather than 55+. So, I put it back in the fridge for 30 minutes and drank the rest. A bit better but quite sweet still. The malt comes through a bit more with a roasted flavor.

Mouthfeel- A bit overcarbonated. I would think this would be much better on a hand pump possibly. Lots of caramel and vanilla aftertaste.

Drinkability- Not really my cup of tea. I would have downgraded, but I know it's because I just don't really care for creme brulee and the sweetness this beer imparted. I know it probably is a well crafted beer though.

05-16-2009 02:19:43 | More by GClarkage
XmnwildX12

12-13-2013 02:40:51 | More by XmnwildX12
imperialking

02-08-2012 05:09:42 | More by imperialking
corby112

3.05/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours pitch black with foamy coffee colored head. Aroma of vanilla bean, custard, chocolate and roasted coffee maltiness. Tastes like a sweet desert. Very creamy custard with lots of vanilla and roasted caramel maltiness and some butterscotch. Sweet and roasty with a dry bitter hop finish.

11-20-2008 23:20:12 | More by corby112
MarkyMOD

Colorado

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

08-02-2013 03:53:47 | More by MarkyMOD
weeare138

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

On tap at Capone's...
Appears an opaque black with a small, tan head that quickly fizzles into a mild collar. Scattered lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of cocoa, caramel, cream, sugar, tons of vanilla, and butterscotch.
Taste is of the same with butterscotch and roasted nuts standing out.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, creamy, rich, smooth in the finish.
I liked this one but I could see how many would not like this. The caramel, and vanilla, along with the lactose come across as being butterscotch, which isn't usually a likable trait in beer, as it is taken as the usually unlikable diacetyl(which I happen to enjoy in Sam Smith's Imp Stout).

07-29-2008 01:19:03 | More by weeare138
lacqueredmouse

Australia

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is something of a white whale among the Australian beer community, and I'd managed to go some time without trying it—I finally managed it at the Local Taphouse in Sydney during Sydney Craft Beer Week 2013. Served on nitro through a sparkler.

Pours a stupid, thick black-brown colour but with definite clarity noticeable when held to the light—I can see red right through it. Head is stupidly creamy off the nitro. Pale beige, fine and rich leaving ridiculous lace. It's a ridiculously creamy looking beer, there's no denying that.

And did someone mention ridiculous? The nose is extreme. Intense vanilla, burnt sugar crème brûlée all over. It's so creamy and thick that it's silly. Some sultanas come through as well, perhaps with a slight hint of spice like ginger. But mostly it's just about pretending to be crème brûlée, which it does exceptionally well. It's insane. You're an idiot, beer.

Once this translates into flavour though, it's too much—too sweet. So much creamy, thick vanilla ridiculousness. It curdles with the booze (which is definitely noticeable), giving an offputting character of Irish cream. Stacks of vanilla toffee without much to counter it. It's thick, smooth and creamy and too much. I loved those flavours on the nose, but here, I admit I'm struggling with it.

Feel is lovely in its way, were it not for the bombastic quagmire of flavours that it supports.

Overall, it's too sweet, without darkness or... anything, to balance it. It makes me feel bloated and a little bit nauseated drinking so much of it. It does a great job of mimicking a brûlée, but I don't think I'd want to puree such a dessert and quaff it. Such thickness and sweetness—I found it difficult to finish despite its many fine attributes.

Serving type: nitro-tap

10-19-2013 23:37:48 | More by lacqueredmouse
barleywinefiend

Washington

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Poured a deep,deep brown with a nice tan head.

S: Nose was milk, creme, coffee and vanilla beans.

T; It was exceptional! It had lots of vanilla to it with an espresso kick and creme feel that was very sweet

M: The mouthfeel was ok at first but the constatnt creme, vanilla is to much for me after a while.

D: Drinkability was low because while it good on taste and mouthfeel it was just hard for me to finish.

08-01-2010 02:18:36 | More by barleywinefiend
tempest

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%

Picked up a bomber at Abe's and shared it with some friends on a Friday afternoon. The general first taste response was something along the lines of, "holy sh-t!"

It smells pretty spot on like vanilla custard and creme brulee. Damn. There's a slight bite to this beer that hints at the 10% strength and the flavor pales a bit compared to the deep and rich aroma. Still, more custard comes out on the palate with a mocha edge. The flavors here so vividly recall cream and vanilla desserts that it's easy to forget this is a stout. The balanced body and relatively thin (for a 10% stout) body also make this as drinkable as any sessionable stout.

This beer is, simply put, nuts. It's a great example of extreme beer and American brewers pushing the boundaries of what beer can beer. Bravo Southern Tier.

08-01-2008 20:47:01 | More by tempest
oriolesfan4

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

10-30-2012 17:42:48 | More by oriolesfan4
akorsak

3.43/5  rDev -11.6%

A 650 mL bottle purchased at Sam the Beer Man's in Binghamton, NY.

A: The stout is oily black, a singularity that absorbs all light shone into it. The ale lacks an appreciable head, what lingers is thin and white in color.

S: The nose is syrupy sweet with caramel, vanilla, and butter rum mixing with booze. The aroma is very interesting.

T: The stout is incredibly sweet, thick and full of flavor. More butter rum, vanilla and caramel mix with burnt grains and coffee. The ale is very boozy, reeking of alcohol with each sip. Butter rum flavors last.

M: The mouthfeel is sweet but abrasive. The flavor profile is cloyingly sweet at times, while the alcohol burns. An interesting ale that I was happy to share with ksak.

D: One half of a bomber is enough for me.

12-24-2008 21:52:06 | More by akorsak