2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager)Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 07-15-2008)
Ratings: 885 | Reviews: 405 | Show All Ratings:
AtrumAnimus

3.56/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a nice amber, practically orange, beautifully rich color with a head that is thick and settles slowly. The head is just a tiny bit off white in color hinting that the amber is transferred to the foam. The head settles extremely slowly and leaves a nice lacing down the glass.

The nose is dominated by the hops with a floral undertone. Nice but not great. Adequate at best.

The taste matches the description and name sake for this beer, Krampus. He very much sounds like a bitter character and this is a very bitter beer. I would say it more reminds me of an ESB on steroids.The hopping subdues the lagering making this more of a hop heads dream come true.

I think this beer would make an excellent lager if they backed the hops off about 15%. As for an Imperial it is quite good.

The moutfeel is just right for this style, if it were thinker the hops would most likely have an unpleasant finish, this instance of extreme hopping finishes surprisingly clean.

Overall I like this but it isn't my favorite. I can see myself drinking this again, however, I see my self changing the direction my hand goes if I were to reach for as there are others that are much better for the same price.

I recommend trying it as this is a great IPA/Lager. Just not my favorite.

04-11-2014 22:19:55 | More by AtrumAnimus
JAFoley

New Hampshire

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

A - Pale orange clear body with off-white head, dense, nice retention and lacing.

S - Spicy malts, cinnamon, pine and citrus.

T - Really nice spicy and bitter hops; pine, lemon, floral. Rounded off by warm, earthy and roasted malts.

M - Moderate carbonation and body. Slightly sticky and resinous.

O - This is the best beer I've had from Southern Tier, very glad I picked it up. The hops are both bitter and spicy, giving it a flavor fitting for the holidays. It's fairly complex and with a high abv, I'll definitely be picking this up again.

12-28-2013 01:56:35 | More by JAFoley
curasowa

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Clear, copper color with one finger of head that fades slowly with a thick curtain of lace.

Aroma: Toasted malt and a sugary-syrup sweetness, hints of cherry, earthy hops, a touch medicinal as it warms.

Taste: Big, smooth and creamy malt up front, sweet but not overwhelming, bitterness building on the back end, faint pine notes. Fully coats the mouth on the finish, with some lingering biscuit and oily hop bitterness.

The Rest: A great, slow sipping beer. A slight medicinal note is the only real knock against this one. Otherwise it hides it's 9% pretty well.

12-27-2013 01:55:38 | More by curasowa
brewskifan55

Mississippi

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass

A: Clear golden with a white one finger head that glided away to a light feathering. Foamy lacing.

S: Mainly bready malts. Some grainy sensations, too.

T: Tangy, malty, citrusy. Honey, grainy. A slight hop bitterness, but nicely balanced with the malts. A good kick at the end. Never noticed the 9% until it was too late. Well hidden.

M: Light to medium with medium carbonation.

O: really enjoyed this festive helles lager. Smooth, sweet, slightly robust. Would drink again. Great label art.

12-25-2013 19:11:24 | More by brewskifan55
Greywulfken

A: clear, deep amber ale with a few fingers of ivory foam in a pilsener glass; laces adorn the inner glass

S: deep rustic malt aromas and herbal and earthy hops; suggestions of dry grain and wet pine

T: earthy and husky in both malts and hops, but lightened with a smooth toastiness, and a dank bitterness. Comes off just a bit too sweet and wet to be called crisp, has a honeyed sweetness as the malt warms underneath some chewy pine resin hops.

M: smooth and bittering, slightly coating, medium body with moderate sensation of carbonation

O: somewhere between a pilsener and an IPA, Imperial strength. Quite a nice drink - very enjoyable, and as other reviewers have noted, the high abv is well-hidden.

12-22-2013 21:22:36 | More by Greywulfken
buzzedup

4.86/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the real deal . after one taste you will wish it is year round but then again. its nice to have something at that special time of the year to look forwatd too.

A. cannot look any better a perfect clear color with nice bubbles and perfect head

S. like Christmas smells like a pine tree dipped in uberness. nothing but east coast hops for the win.
T. perfect just perfect... taste like a Christmas tree with some malts and great aftertaste. again this is my all time new favorite beer for Christmas. it is that good!!!

M. very thick nice syrup , full body taste , perfect for tis the season.

O. this is it. ,,, IF YOU ARE NOT A VERY SPICY VERY FRUITY VERY OCTOBERFEST ON STARROIDS TYPE OF xmaS BEER . THIS IS IT A HOP HEADS PREFECT XMAS GIFT.

happy HOLIDAYS....

12-21-2013 03:46:15 | More by buzzedup
KTCamm

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into a perfect pint glass. 11/25

Pours shiny bronze with ring of bubbly white foam. Light malty/helles nose. Taste is a light lager with firm hearty bitter. Slight cookie taste. Very light sweetness. Tasty. Building bitter. Certainly worth a go.

12-14-2013 14:01:04 | More by KTCamm
BWED

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Bomber poured into a tulip.

A- Beautiful crystal clear orang-gold in body. There are some great red/amber hues. Off white head with great sticky rings of lacing.

S- Bright citrus rind. A little resin. Heavy malt background (yet still in the background). Caramel, Sweet biscuit.

T- Very earthy/resinous/bitter/floral hop character. A lot to pick up on, but very harmonious. Sweet malt in the end with a little citrus tang.

M- Medium-full body. Rather drinkable. Bitterness lingers, along with a slight sweetness. Leaves a dry, velvety feel.

O- Full of flavor, beautiful. Strong and great! This is a good warm up to DIPAs. Very hop forward, yet not overwhelming.

12-13-2013 03:39:31 | More by BWED
DerAtomsmasher

Washington

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

A: Pours a gorgeous amber with a with a substantial head, quickly vanishing.

S: A sort of astringent hop aroma; herbaceous and alcoholic on the nose. A little bit of biscuit, too.

T: I guess this style could be more malty & sweet (not typically my thing), so I guess I'm happy that this is on the drier side. That said, this one's all hops & isn't all that much fun to get through after the first few minutes spent with it. Minty hops and bitterness that never lets the malts (and a weird grain bill it is) show themselves & the alcohol burn eschews any other flavors at the end.

M: A little chewy and bitter.

I bought this because an "Imperial Helles" sounded like the exact opposite of all the winter ales I've been punishing myself with lately. This was not as refreshing as I was hoping & I'm not sure where they get helles on here. It's interesting but not my thing, really.

12-09-2013 03:46:37 | More by DerAtomsmasher
Gatch

4.21/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 10/17/13

A: Clear, unfiltered, and light copper in color. Off white, yellowish, fizzy head with good lace and retention.

S: Lots of fragrant, roasted malt and a fantastic hop presence without being overly hoppy. Fruit, bread, and a bit of booze. Exactly as I expected an Imperial Helles to smell.

T: Malt shines here. Booze complements it. Slightly fruity with a tasty hoppy finish.

M: Super smooth, a bit of pleasant sweetness and booze, and the proper carbonation and body.

O: Unique style with what seems to be an accurate representation. I love Helles Lager and this truly is an imperial. A great sipper with massive lager qualities and flavor. Well done!

12-09-2013 03:31:49 | More by Gatch
dheacck11

Connecticut

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Dark amber pour but crystal clear. Not much on the way of head, but a little white lacing. Nose is pretty faint and mellow, just a little bit of malt but not much.

Tastes really interesting. Great amount of sweet malt and lager flavor initially. Some juice and jamminess. Then changes rapidly into a surprisingly bitter hoppy bite on the end. Very dry finish. Nice flavors of caramel, brown sugar.

Feel is surprisingly medium full. Can defiinitely detect the booze on the finish.

Really interesting style and flavors. The contrast is a little harsh for me personally. But great to try.

12-08-2013 23:30:48 | More by dheacck11
bmwats

Louisiana

3.74/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a a 650 ml bottle into a pilsner.

A: Amber hue. Continually rising effervescence. Pours a 1 finger, foamy, white head. Settles very slowly, and not completely leaving some dry residue behind as it does. Thick, persistent, beer ring lacing.

S: Roasted malt, pecan, and licorice.

T: Pungent rye. Bitter pecan shell. Almost a citrusy bittersweetness... maybe triple sec.

M: Thick and syrupy feel. Kind of boozy. Pungent, lasting finish. High alcohol is apparent.

D: Sip and enjoy. The character will dictate it.

Atmosphere is really nice. Solid lasting head, continual effervescence, and thick persistent lacing. Roasty with nut and bitter components. Pungent and bitter flavor components, but the high alcohol characteristic seems to offer up a slightly sweet component for balance. Overall, this is a really good quaff.

12-08-2013 03:26:21 | More by bmwats
stella77artois

4.33/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber, poured twice into a pilsener glass. Had been searching for this for a while, as I'm a huge fan of Helles Lagers, and big fan of big beers! I figured the beer would be very IPA-ish, hence being a BS call of an Imperial Helles, as those don't seemingly go well together.

A - Pours a slightly dark amber, very clear. A fair amount of carbonation visible, with an average sized head, which dissiapted slowly. Only small amounts of residuals left behind.

S - Really does smell like a Helles, but stronger! Lot's of malt up front, especially sweet malts. A fair amount of noble-like hop aroma, none of the fruitiness. Slight smoky smell as well, and an ever-so-slight alcohol aroma. Very nice smelling beer.

T - I was impressed, and was wrong. If I could picture how an Imperial Helles would taste, this would be it. All the flavors of a Munich Helles; crisp and slightly sweet malts, lighter tasting hops, slight bitterness, but just stronger. I didn't think this could accurately be pulled off, but I was wrong. Hoppy bitterness is much stronger in the aftertaste, and I could notice just a slight bit of alcohol heat. Very nice smelling beer.

F - Wasn't too crazy about the feel. A little on the sticky side, and didn't feel outstanding in the gut. Not an unpleasant feeling, but this wouldn't be a beer I'd enjoy with food. I do however, can picture having a glass of this outside during a cold day!

O - I give Southern Tier credit for creating this unique brew. It really does taste like an Imperial Helles. Lot's of great malt flavor and a good amount of hoppy bitterness. It's unique, as most hoppy beers I've tried give off at least a bit of fruitiness, I didn't get any from this. I do love fruity hops, but this is a nice change. Highly recommended.

12-05-2013 16:36:50 | More by stella77artois
TeamMathis

West Virginia

Appearance: Clear, deep copper. Nice head at first.
Smell: Biscuit, lemon. Maybe a hint of grapefruit.
Taste: Same as smell, with bitter hoppiness.

This is great. First, it's beautiful in color. It's a darker copper, and excellently clear. Second, the smell is excellent with the citrus biscuits. Then the taste mirrors quite well the smell. It is certainly a hop and malt delight. It has an oily, slightly bitter aftertaste...which you only want more of. I would get this again.

11-23-2013 02:09:30 | More by TeamMathis
utopiajane

3.26/5  rDev -16.4%

This pours with brilliant clarity and s small stream of bubbles rising up to meet a thick head of off white foam from a vigorous pour that fell slow enough and left reasonable lace. Nose is at first bright with citrus peel and caramel malt. Then as it warms a mineral or metallic smell starts to evolve and a yeasty twang like in a traditional lager. The hops are floral and the malt is caramel instead of bread and I find that it smells a lot like a DIPA one minute and then a little bit like a lager the next. Orange peel. The taste is somewhat flat and muddled. I would even call it stagnant mid palate. The beer has a tremendous citrus but it isn't crisp it's just tart. The yeast trying to be a lager yeast adds a bit of sour twang and the metallic taste doesn't go well with that. The malt is sweet and caramel but bread would be enough. There's a bit of spice and a bit of alcohol on the palate.

This finishes with not only a hop bitter but a metallic aftertaste and a sour off flavor. It also finishes slick and with some hop oil. As this drinks it becomes more pleasant. Lemon takes over in the finish.

11-20-2013 14:54:52 | More by utopiajane
LI_PO12

Bottle into Tulip

Appearance- Copper, white head, clear

Aroma- Bready buscuity malts, lemon, minty herbal hops, gets better as it warms

Flavor- deep bready malts, slightly toasted, herbal lemon hops notes, up front bitterness, followed up with a sweetness, and finishes dry with some alcohol warmth

Mouthfeel- medium, moderate carbonation, some alcohol warmth

Overall- This is a great beer, its an interesting style to imperialize, but its def pulled off here. I wish this was year round, but Ill drink it up while I can each winter.

11-14-2013 03:46:11 | More by LI_PO12
CloudStrife

4.06/5  rDev +4.1%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled 10/23/13.

A: Pours a clear golden amber with a slightly yellowed head on top. Just a bit of visible carbonation in the body. Nice lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Pretty nice hop aroma coming across on this one. Fruity aspect adds a raisin or grape like quality. Can sniff out a touch of the booze in this imperial pilsner.

T: Interesting blend here, remains malt forward with a toasty lagery malt. Ample fruit backing and a big hop bitterness kicks in at the end. Some spiciness to it that rounds out the flavor. More hop bitterness than I remember.

M: Medium body with mild carbonation. Touch of stickiness but besides that a crisp finish. Booze isnt too hot with a bit of a warming feel.

Overall this is a hoppy beer when fresh that mellows out nicely. A real nice example of a properly done imperial lager. Hops add some great bitterness despite this remaining a malt forward beer.

11-10-2013 22:54:39 | More by CloudStrife
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.59/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I really like Southern Tier beers. We can't get them here in Arizona, but they have a great line of beers including their IPA, 2XIPA, and their Creme Brulee Stout. Oh, and their Choklat Stout. They are some pretty aggressive beers, and I am pumped to try this one. I have never had this, and was surprised to hear that it was a Christmas beer. It is almost July, so I guess we are going to have Christmas in July… or June. Today was the hottest day of the year, so it seems fitting! Pumped to try this. Let's drink!

In the Glass: I didn't expect this to be this dark. It is a nice rich copper color and a nice sticky lace. Not much head, but I am excited to dig in. Plus, this is imperial and has a big ABV. We are reviewing 3 beer tonight, so I hope I am not hammered by the time we finish! Let's see what this smells like.

Nose: It smells like a lager… fitting, right? It has a nice subtle sweetness to it, but nothing too exciting. The bottle does say to drink this at 48 degrees, which is quite cold. This is right from the fridge, so it should be near that temperature. The bottle also says a lot more… but we will get to that soon enough. I am ready to see what this beer tastes like. Cheers! (I am going to start saying that more often, for the record.)

Flavor: Whoa, that is great. It tastes like it smells, but WAY better. It has an immediate sweetness to it, and a somewhat spicy flavor. Not too much spice, but a nice subtle spice that I can groove with. I wonder if this pairs well with food around the holidays. Maybe I should trade for this again in a few months.

Mouthfeel: There are a few more bubbles than I wanted, but that's OK. They aren't overwhelming. I will say, as this sits on my mouth, the flavor really sticks around. I keep licking my lips and those spices are sticking around. They don't make a basic beer like this, but I would like to try it if they did. The imperial part throws me off, but helps me decide whether to buy a beer.

Aftertaste: There isn't much aftertaste here, but I keep going back to those spices sticking around on the inside of my mouth. This beer is dangerously drinkable. I bet I could drink a bomber of this and not even realize that I did. I call those beers dangerous!

This is good. I like the spicy flavors in the finish. The finish is also a big dry… and continues to dry as I sit here and swallow. Oh, and I like the label. The little guy is crazy scary! Not sure what bottle is up next, but we have two more coming. Cheers! (See, I told you I was going say this more often.)

06-30-2013 03:09:58 | More by rickyleepotts
BeardedBoffin

New Mexico

4.51/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Imperial Helles, isn't that an oxymoron? In any case, Krampus appears a dark amber color with a nice cap of foam which clings to glass as the liquid interface falls. The aroma is a nice balance of caramel and lemony hops. The alcohol opens the senses. Surprisingly carbonated, almost prickly, on the palate. The malt notes (bread, biscuit, and dark fruit) are briskly swept away as the hops takes over. Resinous pine, grapefruit, old fashion bitterness and a wave of booze finish this off in a big dollop of hops. A nice brew that invites the drinker to have more. I don't know if I would call this a Helles, but it is good.

03-24-2013 01:09:59 | More by BeardedBoffin
Lemke10

Wisconsin

4.29/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This pours a hazy, dark amber color with an average, beige head. The aroma is a mixture of sweet malts, hops, and some citrus. The taste is sweet, slightly fruity, and pleasant. There is a slight bitter finish. I agree with the people that say this is more of a Pale Ale/IPA than a Pilsner. Certainly unique, can’t say I’ve had anything quite like it.

03-14-2013 05:02:14 | More by Lemke10
RickS95

Indiana

3.99/5  rDev +2.3%

I like it for a lager. A mild chestnut, light brown color. Fairly clear though the darkness keeps most light out. Head is minimal, but very contrasting in white against the darker background and a faint lacing left behind.

A lot of stuff on the nose and it comes from all directions giving it layers of scent. Malty, bready, and damp, musty hops. If you almost get your nose wet, you can pick up the 9% ABV.

Tastes nothing like I expected. The malts and bready smell are completely overwhelmed by the hops and alcohol. Really, it tastes more like an IPA or even a barleywine. There's really no flavor til mid-sip at which point the hops and alcohol really take over.

It's a bruiser. Normally lagers are more subtle, but being an imperial, you get the full force of the hop-alcohol 1-2 punch. Kind of bready feel, which is quickly transformed into a bitter, hot finish. Full bodied. Slight carbonation.

Overall, I liked it. It matched the name and story behind the beer as this is all about what Santa isn't. Going to sleep well tonight.

01-19-2013 04:08:40 | More by RickS95
jimmah120

4.01/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

bomber with no date into duvel

look is a deep aber brown with a rocky, khaki head. smells piney and bitter at first, with a lot of bubblegum, peppermint, and plastic coming in later. Taste is much better, grainy booze, hint of peppermint, drying grassy hops, and a lot of semi-sweet toffee malt. the flavors jive very well together. slickly bitter, slightly syrupy feel. lingering peppery bitterness.

one of the only holiday brews i've thoroughly enjoyed. ST didn't overdo the holiday spice and brought the hops, what else can i ask for?

01-17-2013 07:08:51 | More by jimmah120
SawDog505

New Hampshire

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured into a 13 oz tulip glass bottled on September 19, 2012. Pours a cloudy orange with a sticky two inch off white head, that clings to the glass. Smell is grapefruit, hard candy, tangerine, and plum. Taste is very similar to the noise lots grapefruit and hard candy, not complaining. Body is medium, plenty of life, a little dry, and very drinkable. Wasn't sure what to expect from this because of the style. I liked it a lot, different frommost beers this time of year.

01-06-2013 18:19:55 | More by SawDog505
Docer

Washington

4.23/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance: (4.0)
- Nice rich copper clear brew. Frothy and fluffy head settles to a slew of velvety bubbles and lace all about the glass. Certainly pretty.

Smell: (4.5)
- This brew has some dank hops. Lots of pungent earthy and resinous hops. Light citrus hiding in there as well, but more a sappy pine and skunky hop goodness. I must like it so much because it is dry-hopped with Willamette hops. Love 'em. Subtle sweet bready malts certainly seem to be there.

Taste: (4.0)
- This is one crispy and bitter brew with a killer sweet caramel malt to balance. Zesty pine and grassy hops hit sharp up front, and then finishes out with a lot of flavors. Bready malt flavors, pine resin, and grass. All melded very well. Certainly a beer to try.

Mouth Feel: (4.0)
- This is a full bodied creamy brew with a slight stickiness to it. The mad bitterness leaves the palate dry and thirsting for more. Bit chewy, and cloying. Overall a solid meal in a bottle.

Overall: (4.0)
- This is a fantastic beer, and one of the better ones I have had from Southern Tier. It seems as though it is very well balanced, but yet is still super bitter and hop forward. I don't mind that at all. I also like that it isn't some spiced up charred coffee table in a bottle. Kudos. Though I wouldn't mind if this beer was not an imperial.. I think it would be really killer being brought down to its standard self.

01-04-2013 02:01:22 | More by Docer
superspak

4.23/5  rDev +8.5%

22 ounce bottle into pilsener glass, bottled on 9/19/2012. Pours lightly hazy copper amber color with a nice 2 finger dense off white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass; with a good amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big caramel, toast, pine, citrus rind, toffee, biscuit, floral, grass, and piney spiciness. Damn nice aromas with good balance, strength, and complexity. Taste of caramel, toast, pine, toffee, biscuit, citrus rind, floral, grass, nuttiness, and piney spiciness. Good amount of pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, toast, biscuit, toffee, pine, nuttiness, floral, citrus rind, and piney spiciness on the finish for a good bit. Great malt/hop flavor balance and complexity; with a solid sweetness/bitterness balance as well; minimal cloying flavors present on the finish. Medium-high carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a creamy, sticky, and crisp mouthfeel that is very nice. Alcohol is extremely well hidden with only a small warming noticed after the finish; this is dangerously drinkable. Overall this is a highly excellent Imperial Helles style! Great malt and hop flavor balance and robustness; very smooth to sip on. A highly enjoyable offering.

01-02-2013 07:36:46 | More by superspak