Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |

Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager)Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Pilsner

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 07-15-2008

Reviews: 444 | Ratings: 1,215
4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Bomber poured into a tulip.

A- Beautiful crystal clear orang-gold in body. There are some great red/amber hues. Off white head with great sticky rings of lacing.

S- Bright citrus rind. A little resin. Heavy malt background (yet still in the background). Caramel, Sweet biscuit.

T- Very earthy/resinous/bitter/floral hop character. A lot to pick up on, but very harmonious. Sweet malt in the end with a little citrus tang.

M- Medium-full body. Rather drinkable. Bitterness lingers, along with a slight sweetness. Leaves a dry, velvety feel.

O- Full of flavor, beautiful. Strong and great! This is a good warm up to DIPAs. Very hop forward, yet not overwhelming.

2.81/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Um….well this is odd.  Taplist lists this as an imperial pilsner, however ST says this is a Helles.  Poured a shimmering deep amber color, Krampus smells of toffee, some wheat bread malts, and a touch of hops.  Flavor is off.  Mouthfeel is waters.  Not sure what to think, But I can’t finish this.  It reminds be of a watered down lager with some added sweetness.  Southern Tier misses on this one.

3.29/5  rDev -15.9%

A: Pours a gorgeous amber with a with a substantial head, quickly vanishing.

S: A sort of astringent hop aroma; herbaceous and alcoholic on the nose. A little bit of biscuit, too.

T: I guess this style could be more malty & sweet (not typically my thing), so I guess I'm happy that this is on the drier side. That said, this one's all hops & isn't all that much fun to get through after the first few minutes spent with it. Minty hops and bitterness that never lets the malts (and a weird grain bill it is) show themselves & the alcohol burn eschews any other flavors at the end.

M: A little chewy and bitter.

I bought this because an "Imperial Helles" sounded like the exact opposite of all the winter ales I've been punishing myself with lately. This was not as refreshing as I was hoping & I'm not sure where they get helles on here. It's interesting but not my thing, really.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 10/17/13

A: Clear, unfiltered, and light copper in color. Off white, yellowish, fizzy head with good lace and retention.

S: Lots of fragrant, roasted malt and a fantastic hop presence without being overly hoppy. Fruit, bread, and a bit of booze. Exactly as I expected an Imperial Helles to smell.

T: Malt shines here. Booze complements it. Slightly fruity with a tasty hoppy finish.

M: Super smooth, a bit of pleasant sweetness and booze, and the proper carbonation and body.

O: Unique style with what seems to be an accurate representation. I love Helles Lager and this truly is an imperial. A great sipper with massive lager qualities and flavor. Well done!

3.83/5  rDev -2%

Dark amber pour but crystal clear. Not much on the way of head, but a little white lacing. Nose is pretty faint and mellow, just a little bit of malt but not much.

Tastes really interesting. Great amount of sweet malt and lager flavor initially. Some juice and jamminess. Then changes rapidly into a surprisingly bitter hoppy bite on the end. Very dry finish. Nice flavors of caramel, brown sugar.

Feel is surprisingly medium full. Can defiinitely detect the booze on the finish.

Really interesting style and flavors. The contrast is a little harsh for me personally. But great to try.

3.74/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a a 650 ml bottle into a pilsner.

A: Amber hue. Continually rising effervescence. Pours a 1 finger, foamy, white head. Settles very slowly, and not completely leaving some dry residue behind as it does. Thick, persistent, beer ring lacing.

S: Roasted malt, pecan, and licorice.

T: Pungent rye. Bitter pecan shell. Almost a citrusy bittersweetness... maybe triple sec.

M: Thick and syrupy feel. Kind of boozy. Pungent, lasting finish. High alcohol is apparent.

D: Sip and enjoy. The character will dictate it.

Atmosphere is really nice. Solid lasting head, continual effervescence, and thick persistent lacing. Roasty with nut and bitter components. Pungent and bitter flavor components, but the high alcohol characteristic seems to offer up a slightly sweet component for balance. Overall, this is a really good quaff.

4.31/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber, poured twice into a pilsener glass. Had been searching for this for a while, as I'm a huge fan of Helles Lagers, and big fan of big beers! I figured the beer would be very IPA-ish, hence being a BS call of an Imperial Helles, as those don't seemingly go well together.

A - Pours a slightly dark amber, very clear. A fair amount of carbonation visible, with an average sized head, which dissiapted slowly. Only small amounts of residuals left behind.

S - Really does smell like a Helles, but stronger! Lot's of malt up front, especially sweet malts. A fair amount of noble-like hop aroma, none of the fruitiness. Slight smoky smell as well, and an ever-so-slight alcohol aroma. Very nice smelling beer.

T - I was impressed, and was wrong. If I could picture how an Imperial Helles would taste, this would be it. All the flavors of a Munich Helles; crisp and slightly sweet malts, lighter tasting hops, slight bitterness, but just stronger. I didn't think this could accurately be pulled off, but I was wrong. Hoppy bitterness is much stronger in the aftertaste, and I could notice just a slight bit of alcohol heat. Very nice smelling beer.

F - Wasn't too crazy about the feel. A little on the sticky side, and didn't feel outstanding in the gut. Not an unpleasant feeling, but this wouldn't be a beer I'd enjoy with food. I do however, can picture having a glass of this outside during a cold day!

O - I give Southern Tier credit for creating this unique brew. It really does taste like an Imperial Helles. Lot's of great malt flavor and a good amount of hoppy bitterness. It's unique, as most hoppy beers I've tried give off at least a bit of fruitiness, I didn't get any from this. I do love fruity hops, but this is a nice change. Highly recommended.

Appearance: Clear, deep copper. Nice head at first.
Smell: Biscuit, lemon. Maybe a hint of grapefruit.
Taste: Same as smell, with bitter hoppiness.

This is great. First, it's beautiful in color. It's a darker copper, and excellently clear. Second, the smell is excellent with the citrus biscuits. Then the taste mirrors quite well the smell. It is certainly a hop and malt delight. It has an oily, slightly bitter aftertaste...which you only want more of. I would get this again.

3.28/5  rDev -16.1%

This pours with brilliant clarity and s small stream of bubbles rising up to meet a thick head of off white foam from a vigorous pour that fell slow enough and left reasonable lace. Nose is at first bright with citrus peel and caramel malt. Then as it warms a mineral or metallic smell starts to evolve and a yeasty twang like in a traditional lager. The hops are floral and the malt is caramel instead of bread and I find that it smells a lot like a DIPA one minute and then a little bit like a lager the next. Orange peel. The taste is somewhat flat and muddled. I would even call it stagnant mid palate. The beer has a tremendous citrus but it isn't crisp it's just tart. The yeast trying to be a lager yeast adds a bit of sour twang and the metallic taste doesn't go well with that. The malt is sweet and caramel but bread would be enough. There's a bit of spice and a bit of alcohol on the palate.

This finishes with not only a hop bitter but a metallic aftertaste and a sour off flavor. It also finishes slick and with some hop oil. As this drinks it becomes more pleasant. Lemon takes over in the finish.

Bottle into Tulip

Appearance- Copper, white head, clear

Aroma- Bready buscuity malts, lemon, minty herbal hops, gets better as it warms

Flavor- deep bready malts, slightly toasted, herbal lemon hops notes, up front bitterness, followed up with a sweetness, and finishes dry with some alcohol warmth

Mouthfeel- medium, moderate carbonation, some alcohol warmth

Overall- This is a great beer, its an interesting style to imperialize, but its def pulled off here. I wish this was year round, but Ill drink it up while I can each winter.

4.07/5  rDev +4.1%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled 10/23/13.

A: Pours a clear golden amber with a slightly yellowed head on top. Just a bit of visible carbonation in the body. Nice lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Pretty nice hop aroma coming across on this one. Fruity aspect adds a raisin or grape like quality. Can sniff out a touch of the booze in this imperial pilsner.

T: Interesting blend here, remains malt forward with a toasty lagery malt. Ample fruit backing and a big hop bitterness kicks in at the end. Some spiciness to it that rounds out the flavor. More hop bitterness than I remember.

M: Medium body with mild carbonation. Touch of stickiness but besides that a crisp finish. Booze isnt too hot with a bit of a warming feel.

Overall this is a hoppy beer when fresh that mellows out nicely. A real nice example of a properly done imperial lager. Hops add some great bitterness despite this remaining a malt forward beer.

3.56/5  rDev -9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I really like Southern Tier beers. We can't get them here in Arizona, but they have a great line of beers including their IPA, 2XIPA, and their Creme Brulee Stout. Oh, and their Choklat Stout. They are some pretty aggressive beers, and I am pumped to try this one. I have never had this, and was surprised to hear that it was a Christmas beer. It is almost July, so I guess we are going to have Christmas in July… or June. Today was the hottest day of the year, so it seems fitting! Pumped to try this. Let's drink!

In the Glass: I didn't expect this to be this dark. It is a nice rich copper color and a nice sticky lace. Not much head, but I am excited to dig in. Plus, this is imperial and has a big ABV. We are reviewing 3 beer tonight, so I hope I am not hammered by the time we finish! Let's see what this smells like.

Nose: It smells like a lager… fitting, right? It has a nice subtle sweetness to it, but nothing too exciting. The bottle does say to drink this at 48 degrees, which is quite cold. This is right from the fridge, so it should be near that temperature. The bottle also says a lot more… but we will get to that soon enough. I am ready to see what this beer tastes like. Cheers! (I am going to start saying that more often, for the record.)

Flavor: Whoa, that is great. It tastes like it smells, but WAY better. It has an immediate sweetness to it, and a somewhat spicy flavor. Not too much spice, but a nice subtle spice that I can groove with. I wonder if this pairs well with food around the holidays. Maybe I should trade for this again in a few months.

Mouthfeel: There are a few more bubbles than I wanted, but that's OK. They aren't overwhelming. I will say, as this sits on my mouth, the flavor really sticks around. I keep licking my lips and those spices are sticking around. They don't make a basic beer like this, but I would like to try it if they did. The imperial part throws me off, but helps me decide whether to buy a beer.

Aftertaste: There isn't much aftertaste here, but I keep going back to those spices sticking around on the inside of my mouth. This beer is dangerously drinkable. I bet I could drink a bomber of this and not even realize that I did. I call those beers dangerous!

This is good. I like the spicy flavors in the finish. The finish is also a big dry… and continues to dry as I sit here and swallow. Oh, and I like the label. The little guy is crazy scary! Not sure what bottle is up next, but we have two more coming. Cheers! (See, I told you I was going say this more often.)

4.51/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Imperial Helles, isn't that an oxymoron? In any case, Krampus appears a dark amber color with a nice cap of foam which clings to glass as the liquid interface falls. The aroma is a nice balance of caramel and lemony hops. The alcohol opens the senses. Surprisingly carbonated, almost prickly, on the palate. The malt notes (bread, biscuit, and dark fruit) are briskly swept away as the hops takes over. Resinous pine, grapefruit, old fashion bitterness and a wave of booze finish this off in a big dollop of hops. A nice brew that invites the drinker to have more. I don't know if I would call this a Helles, but it is good.

4.29/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This pours a hazy, dark amber color with an average, beige head. The aroma is a mixture of sweet malts, hops, and some citrus. The taste is sweet, slightly fruity, and pleasant. There is a slight bitter finish. I agree with the people that say this is more of a Pale Ale/IPA than a Pilsner. Certainly unique, can’t say I’ve had anything quite like it.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this on tap the other night and as it turns out I didn't much care for it.
Had a color like orange amber, very little head and even less carbonation.
Aroma smelled almost like a pale ale. Some orange and pine can be pulled out but is quite sutle. There is a big alcohol presence in the nose also.
Taste is malty with a big dose of alcohol. light tastes of grapefruit and pine too.
Drinks smooth and sweet with a warm finish.
I wouldn't get this again. Perhaps this beer has been sitting around and I think thats the case so I should really hold off till I can confirm a fresh or somewhat fresh brew.

3.99/5  rDev +2%

I like it for a lager. A mild chestnut, light brown color. Fairly clear though the darkness keeps most light out. Head is minimal, but very contrasting in white against the darker background and a faint lacing left behind.

A lot of stuff on the nose and it comes from all directions giving it layers of scent. Malty, bready, and damp, musty hops. If you almost get your nose wet, you can pick up the 9% ABV.

Tastes nothing like I expected. The malts and bready smell are completely overwhelmed by the hops and alcohol. Really, it tastes more like an IPA or even a barleywine. There's really no flavor til mid-sip at which point the hops and alcohol really take over.

It's a bruiser. Normally lagers are more subtle, but being an imperial, you get the full force of the hop-alcohol 1-2 punch. Kind of bready feel, which is quickly transformed into a bitter, hot finish. Full bodied. Slight carbonation.

Overall, I liked it. It matched the name and story behind the beer as this is all about what Santa isn't. Going to sleep well tonight.

3.95/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

bomber with no date into duvel

look is a deep aber brown with a rocky, khaki head. smells piney and bitter at first, with a lot of bubblegum, peppermint, and plastic coming in later. Taste is much better, grainy booze, hint of peppermint, drying grassy hops, and a lot of semi-sweet toffee malt. the flavors jive very well together. slickly bitter, slightly syrupy feel. lingering peppery bitterness.

one of the only holiday brews i've thoroughly enjoyed. ST didn't overdo the holiday spice and brought the hops, what else can i ask for?

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured into a 13 oz tulip glass bottled on September 19, 2012. Pours a cloudy orange with a sticky two inch off white head, that clings to the glass. Smell is grapefruit, hard candy, tangerine, and plum. Taste is very similar to the noise lots grapefruit and hard candy, not complaining. Body is medium, plenty of life, a little dry, and very drinkable. Wasn't sure what to expect from this because of the style. I liked it a lot, different frommost beers this time of year.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance: (4.0)
- Nice rich copper clear brew. Frothy and fluffy head settles to a slew of velvety bubbles and lace all about the glass. Certainly pretty.

Smell: (4.5)
- This brew has some dank hops. Lots of pungent earthy and resinous hops. Light citrus hiding in there as well, but more a sappy pine and skunky hop goodness. I must like it so much because it is dry-hopped with Willamette hops. Love 'em. Subtle sweet bready malts certainly seem to be there.

Taste: (4.0)
- This is one crispy and bitter brew with a killer sweet caramel malt to balance. Zesty pine and grassy hops hit sharp up front, and then finishes out with a lot of flavors. Bready malt flavors, pine resin, and grass. All melded very well. Certainly a beer to try.

Mouth Feel: (4.0)
- This is a full bodied creamy brew with a slight stickiness to it. The mad bitterness leaves the palate dry and thirsting for more. Bit chewy, and cloying. Overall a solid meal in a bottle.

Overall: (4.0)
- This is a fantastic beer, and one of the better ones I have had from Southern Tier. It seems as though it is very well balanced, but yet is still super bitter and hop forward. I don't mind that at all. I also like that it isn't some spiced up charred coffee table in a bottle. Kudos. Though I wouldn't mind if this beer was not an imperial.. I think it would be really killer being brought down to its standard self.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

22 ounce bottle into pilsener glass, bottled on 9/19/2012. Pours lightly hazy copper amber color with a nice 2 finger dense off white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass; with a good amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big caramel, toast, pine, citrus rind, toffee, biscuit, floral, grass, and piney spiciness. Damn nice aromas with good balance, strength, and complexity. Taste of caramel, toast, pine, toffee, biscuit, citrus rind, floral, grass, nuttiness, and piney spiciness. Good amount of pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, toast, biscuit, toffee, pine, nuttiness, floral, citrus rind, and piney spiciness on the finish for a good bit. Great malt/hop flavor balance and complexity; with a solid sweetness/bitterness balance as well; minimal cloying flavors present on the finish. Medium-high carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a creamy, sticky, and crisp mouthfeel that is very nice. Alcohol is extremely well hidden with only a small warming noticed after the finish; this is dangerously drinkable. Overall this is a highly excellent Imperial Helles style! Great malt and hop flavor balance and robustness; very smooth to sip on. A highly enjoyable offering.

3.58/5  rDev -8.4%

ST: 22oz bomber poured into a snifter.

A: An interesting amber that when held up to the light takes on a bright orange hue. Spotty lacing all the way around the glass from a thin head that quickly settles to a mere mist on top. A few quick swirls brings back the head.

S: Strong citrus, grapefruit, and bubblegum that ( I guess) come from the Willamette hops. A slight bit of caramel is in the background. There is a slightly green or metallic aroma that is hard to place, but the aroma may just be the alcohol.

T: Bubblegum and citrus with slight burnt caramel is overpowered by a sharp, bitter, spicy, pine and grapefruit finish that does not go away. The hops are the star of this show.

M: Medium and very dry.

O: Lots of hop flavor dominates this beer and gives it a Krampus bite. The malt is lost quickly in the never ending hop finish. In fact, the beer could use a bit more balance even if it is labeled an imperial.

22 oz. bottle. Bottle reads "DOB 09/11/2012" so this beer is about 3 and a half months old chillin the bottle waiting for me to buy it and drink it.

A - Pours a clear copper honey looking color. Doesn't look like much action so far.

S - Smells like your typical boring lager. There is maybe the vaguest hint of unrecognizable spice buried in there, but for the most part this is a bland senseless experience.

T - The faint hint of spice gives this beer some character, but that is all this brew has going for it. Doesn't exactly taste like it's advertised 9% abv, but then again, it doesn't really taste like much of anything.

M - Murky, sticky mouthfeel. Not pleasant, but this is by no means a bad beer. It is surely a well-made lager.

Overall, Southern Tier isn't a bad brewery, but their beers seem to lean toward mediocre, although I do remember enjoying the Southern Tier 2X Stout quite a bit. I would drink it again if it was offered to me, but I won't go out of my way to try this one again. The homage it pays to the holiday character of the Krampus is probably the best part of the gimmick this brew has going on.

Southern Tier Krampus Imperial Helles Lager ---3/5.

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

Hard to believe that this is technically a lager. Its appearance is that of an ale. Color is a nice golden brown color. Pours with about a 1/4 inch of white head which lingers for a bit and leaves light lacing on the glass.

Smells sweet, a bit hoppy/grassy.

Tastes a little sweet with the hoppy bitterness and sweet maltiness in the middle. It's very nicely balanced and flavorfull. LIght to moderate bitterness at the back end, which transitions into a largely clean finish.

The weight of the beer is nice. It's not too dense or light. It has body and weight without being the dominant characteristic and also without making you feel like something is missing. Very Good.

Overall, I find that the beer is smooth and easy to drink. Not sure what the ABV on this is, but I'd have to guess that it's closer to 8+%. The remarkable thing is that the alcohol doesn't show up in the aroma. No phenols that I can identify. VERY GOOD.

3.91/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a beer mug. Born on date reveals it to be a little over a year old, but I figured it would be alright since it's 9% abv.

Appearance- Pours to about a 3 finger off-white head; dark caramel color.

Smell- Lightly citrus and hoppy; vaguely fruity, and you can pick up on the alcohol a bit.

Taste- Hoppy with a distinct flavor I can't quite put my finger on. It's interesting for sure; floral.

Mouthfeel- Very smooth with light carbonation. Still a sipper though, I would say.

Overall- I really liked this. It was a nice beer for Christmas Eve, and I would buy it again. Again, there's a flavor here I can't really seem to describe, but it's different and I enjoyed it.

4.01/5  rDev +2.6%

A- Deep amber colored body with a sticky beige head. A little darker than most helles with a ton of good lacing.

S- Biscuity malts, caramel malt, piney hops, lager yeast, some fruity aromas.

T- Sweet malt dominates the flavor with a nice bitter hop flavor in the back, along with some fruity flavors. Dried fruit comes in at the end along with a bitter hop finish.

M- Medium-full bodied with medium carbonation. A slight crisp bite at the end.

O- A pretty unique offering, especially for the holidays. Good mix of traditional lager flavors, with a great hop punch and well hidden abv.

Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager) from Southern Tier Brewing Company