Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager)Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 07-15-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager) Alström Bros
Reviews: 429 | Hads: 1,129
2.52/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

BOTTLE: 650 ml. Brown glass. Black & grey branded pry-off pressure cap. Purchased at an Austin, TX bottle shop.

Reviewed live as an imperial helles lager per the label. 8.20% ABV. Expectations are above average given the brewery. Served cold into a snifter. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: A weak floater ring of off-white colour is all that manifests. The ring lasts about forty seconds. No lacing is left on the sides of the glass. Pretty pathetic...

BODY: Translucent semitransparent copper with orange hues. Average vibrance. Clean; no yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Appears adequately carbonated. Overall, it looks more like a pale ale than a helles lager. I can't say the appearance has me dying to try it.

AROMA: Overhopped for a helles lager. Mild piney hop character, floral notes, a kiss of evergreen, and some resins. Pale malts. Clean barley.

It's quite clean and ester-free in classic lager fashion, but aside from that it's really more of a pale lager.

Timid and light in intensity, but pleasant. Not a great aroma for any beer, and not to style by any means. Evokes a weak pale ale, if anything.

TASTE: Caramalt. Some bready malts. Clean lager yeast. Munich malts. It's overhopped, with way too much piney and floral character for a helles lager. A kiss of sour apple. Some light zest. Pale malts. Light spruce.

This is a chaotic mess of a build regardless of style, and a poor stab at a helles lager - imperialized or not. The beer has no focus or direction, and lacks basic cohesion. It's a hodgepodge of eclectic notes. Pleasant enough, but imbalanced as hell and poorly built overall.

It's complicated for a helles lager; I'm all for complexity but this is unnecessary and unsatisfying. Befuddlingly eclectic and diverse, with no clear aim and no unifying notes.

Alcohol is poorly disguised. There are no egregious off-notes.

True to the label, pine dominates.

Do I like it? It's not bad...definitely too sweet, overhopped though it may be.

Shallow depth of flavour. Average flavour duration. High flavour intensity (for a purported helles lager). Lacks any notable subtlety or nuance.

No yeast character comes through.

TEXTURE: Overcarbonated almost to the point of it being biting. Smooth, wet, overly full-bodied...it's just too hefty, heavy, and thick on the palate for a helles lager, and isn't in any way a refreshing brew. Not sure what they're going for with this one.

This texture is as unfocused as the taste. There's some rather unfortunate alcohol warmth - and this is a helles lager?

It's not gushed, astringent, harsh, or scratchy.

OVERALL: It's not an awful beer, but it doesn't really feel like a deliberate one either. It's as though a homebrewer just bought a bunch of ingredients at random and threw them in the brew kettle without any regard for a style...that could work, but it doesn't work here. A mess of a brew which is ultimately quite pedestrian and certainly below average. I'm all for experimentation, but this is quite a failure. Wouldn't recommend it to friends, wouldn't buy it again. Not the quality I hope for when I buy a beer with Southern Tier's name on the label.

Low C- (3,248 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle Southern Tier's Krampus last week for $7.49 at The Lager Mill. I know it's too early for winter seasonals, but I heard this was a good hoppy beer so I wanted to try it fresh and even though I'm not big fan of Southern Tier I thought I should still give this beer a chance, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage, Fresh. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it goes good with the name and I like all the information that they added. It poured a hazy darker orange color that took on more of a amber orange color when held to the light with with just a little over two fingers worth of very light tan head that was almost off white and it died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I really liked the color.

S- The aroma starts off with medium amount of sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and impart a mixture of spicy, light floral, very light citrus rind and piney hop aromas with the piney hops sticking out the most and they are followed by a nice clean lager yeast aroma. Up next comes just a slight alcohol aroma followed by the malts which impart some pale malt, grainy, bready and sweet malt like aromas. This beer had a good aroma, it's inline with an imperial version of the style and I think the piney hops go well with the season.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with piney hops still sticking out the most. Up next comes some of that clean lager yeast that goes right into the malts which are a little lighter than they were in the aroma and they impart the same aspects with the pale malts sticking out the most. On the finish there's a low amount of high bitterness with just a slight amount of alcohol that's hardly noticeable and it had lightly spicy and very piney aftertaste along with some lingering bitterness. This was a pretty good tasting beer and It's pretty much just what I would expect from a Imperial Helles Lager.

M- Fairly smooth, just a little crisp, alcohol was well hidden, a little creamy, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was a good example of a Imperial version of a Helles Lager, it had pretty much all the aspects that I would expect from a Helles Lager, but they were all much bigger, which was nice and it still kept a little bit of that good drinkability that the style is know for with some nicely hidden alcohol. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, just a little crisp, alcohol was well hidden, a little creamy, not too filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I think one glass is the perfect amount for me, but the since the alcohol is well hidden I don't think I'll have a problem drinking a bomber to myself. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both good and they worked well with this beer and I also really liked how well the alcohol was hidden. What I liked the least about this beer was that the taste wasn't as balanced as the aroma, I wish more of those malty aspects came through in the taste. I would buy this beer again, but I will probably wait till it's released next year and I would recommend this to anyone who thinks a Imperial Helles Lager sounds interesting. All in all I was happy with this beer, I wasn't wowed with it, but it does good job of keeping most of the aspects that Helles Lager has and just making it bigger and bolder. It isn't my favorite Southern Tier beer, but it is one of the better of the style that I've had and I'm lumping ti together with Imperial Pilseners because that's what BA has it as and I find it to be very similar to that style. Nice job guys this was a tasty, keep up the solid work. (4,114 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a dark yellow with a light head that trails the glass. The smell is full of hop bite in the beginning with a bit of a grapefruit scent, but also fresh bread comes through. The taste was very pleasant with a zesty bite in the beginning and then mellowing out into a very drinkable beer with the pilsner malts coming through in the finish. A nice beer to have in the winter. (378 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

I was surprised to see I haven't reviewed this one yet.

22oz bottle. Bottled on date of 10/09/14. Pours a translucent amber color with a 1/4 inch of head. Lots of lacing. The aroma is lots of piney and floral hops. The taste is a perfect mix for Xmas, piney hops. Flowery hops as well. A bit earthy at times with some more floral notes towards the end. Light amount of malt flavor. Bitter pine finish. Slightly sour. Somewhat boozey. Creamy mouthfeel. Overall, a hoppy, bitter Pilsner I always look forward to when Winter rolls around. (536 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a nice amber, practically orange, beautifully rich color with a head that is thick and settles slowly. The head is just a tiny bit off white in color hinting that the amber is transferred to the foam. The head settles extremely slowly and leaves a nice lacing down the glass.

The nose is dominated by the hops with a floral undertone. Nice but not great. Adequate at best.

The taste matches the description and name sake for this beer, Krampus. He very much sounds like a bitter character and this is a very bitter beer. I would say it more reminds me of an ESB on steroids.The hopping subdues the lagering making this more of a hop heads dream come true.

I think this beer would make an excellent lager if they backed the hops off about 15%. As for an Imperial it is quite good.

The moutfeel is just right for this style, if it were thinker the hops would most likely have an unpleasant finish, this instance of extreme hopping finishes surprisingly clean.

Overall I like this but it isn't my favorite. I can see myself drinking this again, however, I see my self changing the direction my hand goes if I were to reach for as there are others that are much better for the same price.

I recommend trying it as this is a great IPA/Lager. Just not my favorite. (1,280 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

You can always count on Southern Tier to offer crazy styles. Krampus drinks more like a double IPA than any sort of lager and I usually have it during those moods.

Appearance was light copper/gold. Nice head that definitely stuck around for a while.

Aroma was a bit boozy but otherwise quite malty, definitely the biggest difference from a double ipa.

The taste is also boozy but usually what I'm looking for when I order it. Malty and sweet there is also a good hop balance in this beer.

I like it and would recommend. It is among my favorite southern Tier selections. (573 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Pale orange clear body with off-white head, dense, nice retention and lacing.

S - Spicy malts, cinnamon, pine and citrus.

T - Really nice spicy and bitter hops; pine, lemon, floral. Rounded off by warm, earthy and roasted malts.

M - Moderate carbonation and body. Slightly sticky and resinous.

O - This is the best beer I've had from Southern Tier, very glad I picked it up. The hops are both bitter and spicy, giving it a flavor fitting for the holidays. It's fairly complex and with a high abv, I'll definitely be picking this up again. (547 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance: Clear, copper color with one finger of head that fades slowly with a thick curtain of lace.

Aroma: Toasted malt and a sugary-syrup sweetness, hints of cherry, earthy hops, a touch medicinal as it warms.

Taste: Big, smooth and creamy malt up front, sweet but not overwhelming, bitterness building on the back end, faint pine notes. Fully coats the mouth on the finish, with some lingering biscuit and oily hop bitterness.

The Rest: A great, slow sipping beer. A slight medicinal note is the only real knock against this one. Otherwise it hides it's 9% pretty well. (578 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass

A: Clear golden with a white one finger head that glided away to a light feathering. Foamy lacing.

S: Mainly bready malts. Some grainy sensations, too.

T: Tangy, malty, citrusy. Honey, grainy. A slight hop bitterness, but nicely balanced with the malts. A good kick at the end. Never noticed the 9% until it was too late. Well hidden.

M: Light to medium with medium carbonation.

O: really enjoyed this festive helles lager. Smooth, sweet, slightly robust. Would drink again. Great label art. (540 characters)

A: clear, deep amber ale with a few fingers of ivory foam in a pilsener glass; laces adorn the inner glass

S: deep rustic malt aromas and herbal and earthy hops; suggestions of dry grain and wet pine

T: earthy and husky in both malts and hops, but lightened with a smooth toastiness, and a dank bitterness. Comes off just a bit too sweet and wet to be called crisp, has a honeyed sweetness as the malt warms underneath some chewy pine resin hops.

M: smooth and bittering, slightly coating, medium body with moderate sensation of carbonation

O: somewhere between a pilsener and an IPA, Imperial strength. Quite a nice drink - very enjoyable, and as other reviewers have noted, the high abv is well-hidden. (708 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

This certainly is an interesting beer. At first blush it looks like a monster beer-a pils gone mad. Its beautiful in the glass with loads of head. The aroma keeps growing. It's big and Holly smelling with some yeast to.

The taste is huge and malty and bitter. I thought it was an imperial pale or maybe a Scottish at first. Somewhat dark and very bitter. But it also has a sweet taste under it all. The aftertaste lingers dark and bitter.

This is a nice treat and you really should try it. (491 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Southern Tier Krampus Imperial Helles Lager

From tasting notes... Enjoyed on tap at Benno's Christmas Party. This was a 10 oz tapper.

A) Golden amber with a festive shimmer to it. Not much head, just a little collar. No lacing noted.

S) Decent balance with the aroma. Started with some malty sweetness. Light caramel, a little yellow cake. The hops is a hint of citrus, but more earthy and floral.

T) Lightly roasted malt and plenty of hops. A little lemon zest, grapefruit, pine and grass. Good balance, but a little more hop forward from a flavor standpoint. I can't believe this is 9% ABV here... Very well hidden...

M) This was a full bodied brew. The carbonation is pretty soft. It's fairly smooth, and a bit sticky. It was my second beer of the evening, and it went down with ease.

O) Never had an Imperial Helles before, but I really enjoyed this. Excellent drinkability in my opinion. Maybe Krampus can pay my kids a little visit, and tell them to knock off the bullshit when dad's trying to watch football. (1,021 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the real deal . after one taste you will wish it is year round but then again. its nice to have something at that special time of the year to look forwatd too.

A. cannot look any better a perfect clear color with nice bubbles and perfect head

S. like Christmas smells like a pine tree dipped in uberness. nothing but east coast hops for the win.
T. perfect just perfect... taste like a Christmas tree with some malts and great aftertaste. again this is my all time new favorite beer for Christmas. it is that good!!!

M. very thick nice syrup , full body taste , perfect for tis the season.

O. this is it. ,,, IF YOU ARE NOT A VERY SPICY VERY FRUITY VERY OCTOBERFEST ON STARROIDS TYPE OF xmaS BEER . THIS IS IT A HOP HEADS PREFECT XMAS GIFT.

happy HOLIDAYS.... (774 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: pours golden amber, thin surface head, decent lacing
S: initially it smelled like a mildly spiced lager, maybe clove, then I got some light tobacco notes. I have no confidence I'd smell the same on my next tasting, they were so faint.
T: crisp front that is quickly backed by a hops bite. The beginning has maybe a note of caramel, cinnamon bread, cola, but the earthy hops turns the taste into an earthy almost ale taste, with some winter came spice notes (nutmeg, clove).
M: the dry bite of the hops lingers, combining with some lingering carbonation to produce in interesting sensation
O: I had this last year in bottle and really enjoyed it that I looked forward to it this year. I had actually forgotten it was a lager. I had a little trouble placing some flavors as it seemed to change slightly with each taste. I will look forward to this each year as a slight alternative to the winter ales, a lager with a little bite. (930 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into a perfect pint glass. 11/25

Pours shiny bronze with ring of bubbly white foam. Light malty/helles nose. Taste is a light lager with firm hearty bitter. Slight cookie taste. Very light sweetness. Tasty. Building bitter. Certainly worth a go. (267 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Bomber poured into a tulip.

A- Beautiful crystal clear orang-gold in body. There are some great red/amber hues. Off white head with great sticky rings of lacing.

S- Bright citrus rind. A little resin. Heavy malt background (yet still in the background). Caramel, Sweet biscuit.

T- Very earthy/resinous/bitter/floral hop character. A lot to pick up on, but very harmonious. Sweet malt in the end with a little citrus tang.

M- Medium-full body. Rather drinkable. Bitterness lingers, along with a slight sweetness. Leaves a dry, velvety feel.

O- Full of flavor, beautiful. Strong and great! This is a good warm up to DIPAs. Very hop forward, yet not overwhelming. (667 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Um….well this is odd.  Taplist lists this as an imperial pilsner, however ST says this is a Helles.  Poured a shimmering deep amber color, Krampus smells of toffee, some wheat bread malts, and a touch of hops.  Flavor is off.  Mouthfeel is waters.  Not sure what to think, But I can’t finish this.  It reminds be of a watered down lager with some added sweetness.  Southern Tier misses on this one. (409 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -16.3%

A: Pours a gorgeous amber with a with a substantial head, quickly vanishing.

S: A sort of astringent hop aroma; herbaceous and alcoholic on the nose. A little bit of biscuit, too.

T: I guess this style could be more malty & sweet (not typically my thing), so I guess I'm happy that this is on the drier side. That said, this one's all hops & isn't all that much fun to get through after the first few minutes spent with it. Minty hops and bitterness that never lets the malts (and a weird grain bill it is) show themselves & the alcohol burn eschews any other flavors at the end.

M: A little chewy and bitter.

I bought this because an "Imperial Helles" sounded like the exact opposite of all the winter ales I've been punishing myself with lately. This was not as refreshing as I was hoping & I'm not sure where they get helles on here. It's interesting but not my thing, really. (883 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 10/17/13

A: Clear, unfiltered, and light copper in color. Off white, yellowish, fizzy head with good lace and retention.

S: Lots of fragrant, roasted malt and a fantastic hop presence without being overly hoppy. Fruit, bread, and a bit of booze. Exactly as I expected an Imperial Helles to smell.

T: Malt shines here. Booze complements it. Slightly fruity with a tasty hoppy finish.

M: Super smooth, a bit of pleasant sweetness and booze, and the proper carbonation and body.

O: Unique style with what seems to be an accurate representation. I love Helles Lager and this truly is an imperial. A great sipper with massive lager qualities and flavor. Well done! (672 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

Dark amber pour but crystal clear. Not much on the way of head, but a little white lacing. Nose is pretty faint and mellow, just a little bit of malt but not much.

Tastes really interesting. Great amount of sweet malt and lager flavor initially. Some juice and jamminess. Then changes rapidly into a surprisingly bitter hoppy bite on the end. Very dry finish. Nice flavors of caramel, brown sugar.

Feel is surprisingly medium full. Can defiinitely detect the booze on the finish.

Really interesting style and flavors. The contrast is a little harsh for me personally. But great to try. (591 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a a 650 ml bottle into a pilsner.

A: Amber hue. Continually rising effervescence. Pours a 1 finger, foamy, white head. Settles very slowly, and not completely leaving some dry residue behind as it does. Thick, persistent, beer ring lacing.

S: Roasted malt, pecan, and licorice.

T: Pungent rye. Bitter pecan shell. Almost a citrusy bittersweetness... maybe triple sec.

M: Thick and syrupy feel. Kind of boozy. Pungent, lasting finish. High alcohol is apparent.

D: Sip and enjoy. The character will dictate it.

Atmosphere is really nice. Solid lasting head, continual effervescence, and thick persistent lacing. Roasty with nut and bitter components. Pungent and bitter flavor components, but the high alcohol characteristic seems to offer up a slightly sweet component for balance. Overall, this is a really good quaff. (837 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber, poured twice into a pilsener glass. Had been searching for this for a while, as I'm a huge fan of Helles Lagers, and big fan of big beers! I figured the beer would be very IPA-ish, hence being a BS call of an Imperial Helles, as those don't seemingly go well together.

A - Pours a slightly dark amber, very clear. A fair amount of carbonation visible, with an average sized head, which dissiapted slowly. Only small amounts of residuals left behind.

S - Really does smell like a Helles, but stronger! Lot's of malt up front, especially sweet malts. A fair amount of noble-like hop aroma, none of the fruitiness. Slight smoky smell as well, and an ever-so-slight alcohol aroma. Very nice smelling beer.

T - I was impressed, and was wrong. If I could picture how an Imperial Helles would taste, this would be it. All the flavors of a Munich Helles; crisp and slightly sweet malts, lighter tasting hops, slight bitterness, but just stronger. I didn't think this could accurately be pulled off, but I was wrong. Hoppy bitterness is much stronger in the aftertaste, and I could notice just a slight bit of alcohol heat. Very nice smelling beer.

F - Wasn't too crazy about the feel. A little on the sticky side, and didn't feel outstanding in the gut. Not an unpleasant feeling, but this wouldn't be a beer I'd enjoy with food. I do however, can picture having a glass of this outside during a cold day!

O - I give Southern Tier credit for creating this unique brew. It really does taste like an Imperial Helles. Lot's of great malt flavor and a good amount of hoppy bitterness. It's unique, as most hoppy beers I've tried give off at least a bit of fruitiness, I didn't get any from this. I do love fruity hops, but this is a nice change. Highly recommended. (1,773 characters)

Appearance: Clear, deep copper. Nice head at first.
Smell: Biscuit, lemon. Maybe a hint of grapefruit.
Taste: Same as smell, with bitter hoppiness.

This is great. First, it's beautiful in color. It's a darker copper, and excellently clear. Second, the smell is excellent with the citrus biscuits. Then the taste mirrors quite well the smell. It is certainly a hop and malt delight. It has an oily, slightly bitter aftertaste...which you only want more of. I would get this again. (480 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -16.5%

This pours with brilliant clarity and s small stream of bubbles rising up to meet a thick head of off white foam from a vigorous pour that fell slow enough and left reasonable lace. Nose is at first bright with citrus peel and caramel malt. Then as it warms a mineral or metallic smell starts to evolve and a yeasty twang like in a traditional lager. The hops are floral and the malt is caramel instead of bread and I find that it smells a lot like a DIPA one minute and then a little bit like a lager the next. Orange peel. The taste is somewhat flat and muddled. I would even call it stagnant mid palate. The beer has a tremendous citrus but it isn't crisp it's just tart. The yeast trying to be a lager yeast adds a bit of sour twang and the metallic taste doesn't go well with that. The malt is sweet and caramel but bread would be enough. There's a bit of spice and a bit of alcohol on the palate.

This finishes with not only a hop bitter but a metallic aftertaste and a sour off flavor. It also finishes slick and with some hop oil. As this drinks it becomes more pleasant. Lemon takes over in the finish. (1,113 characters)

Bottle into Tulip

Appearance- Copper, white head, clear

Aroma- Bready buscuity malts, lemon, minty herbal hops, gets better as it warms

Flavor- deep bready malts, slightly toasted, herbal lemon hops notes, up front bitterness, followed up with a sweetness, and finishes dry with some alcohol warmth

Mouthfeel- medium, moderate carbonation, some alcohol warmth

Overall- This is a great beer, its an interesting style to imperialize, but its def pulled off here. I wish this was year round, but Ill drink it up while I can each winter. (538 characters)

Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager) from Southern Tier Brewing Company