Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager)Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 07-15-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager) Alström Bros
2.25/5  rDev -42.2%

3.59/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I really like Southern Tier beers. We can't get them here in Arizona, but they have a great line of beers including their IPA, 2XIPA, and their Creme Brulee Stout. Oh, and their Choklat Stout. They are some pretty aggressive beers, and I am pumped to try this one. I have never had this, and was surprised to hear that it was a Christmas beer. It is almost July, so I guess we are going to have Christmas in July… or June. Today was the hottest day of the year, so it seems fitting! Pumped to try this. Let's drink!

In the Glass: I didn't expect this to be this dark. It is a nice rich copper color and a nice sticky lace. Not much head, but I am excited to dig in. Plus, this is imperial and has a big ABV. We are reviewing 3 beer tonight, so I hope I am not hammered by the time we finish! Let's see what this smells like.

Nose: It smells like a lager… fitting, right? It has a nice subtle sweetness to it, but nothing too exciting. The bottle does say to drink this at 48 degrees, which is quite cold. This is right from the fridge, so it should be near that temperature. The bottle also says a lot more… but we will get to that soon enough. I am ready to see what this beer tastes like. Cheers! (I am going to start saying that more often, for the record.)

Flavor: Whoa, that is great. It tastes like it smells, but WAY better. It has an immediate sweetness to it, and a somewhat spicy flavor. Not too much spice, but a nice subtle spice that I can groove with. I wonder if this pairs well with food around the holidays. Maybe I should trade for this again in a few months.

Mouthfeel: There are a few more bubbles than I wanted, but that's OK. They aren't overwhelming. I will say, as this sits on my mouth, the flavor really sticks around. I keep licking my lips and those spices are sticking around. They don't make a basic beer like this, but I would like to try it if they did. The imperial part throws me off, but helps me decide whether to buy a beer.

Aftertaste: There isn't much aftertaste here, but I keep going back to those spices sticking around on the inside of my mouth. This beer is dangerously drinkable. I bet I could drink a bomber of this and not even realize that I did. I call those beers dangerous!

This is good. I like the spicy flavors in the finish. The finish is also a big dry… and continues to dry as I sit here and swallow. Oh, and I like the label. The little guy is crazy scary! Not sure what bottle is up next, but we have two more coming. Cheers! (See, I told you I was going say this more often.)

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%