2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cuvee Series Three (Oak Aged Series) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Cuvee Series Three (Oak Aged Series)Cuvee Series Three (Oak Aged Series)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Strong Ale |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mcallister on 07-15-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 126 | Reviews: 70 | Show All Ratings:
GoldenChild

1.15/5  rDev -64.4%

Well I'll start by saying any beer that i drain pour gets a F

I was dumb enough to let some guys at a beer store that i do not frequent tell me that this beer was amazing and i had to buy it. So I bought 2 at 13.99 a piece passed up beer like Blushing monk for instance.

A- Very red cherry color

S- Tons of cherry maybe and sweetness no hops what so ever

T- Fruit, sugar, taste like cough syrup

M- I cant get past the sweetness

O- Nasty. Now what am i supposed to do with the other bottle?
DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS BEER

10-20-2011 01:50:00 | More by GoldenChild
jmarsh123

Indiana

1.44/5  rDev -55.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Pours puke orange with a small beige head leaving no retention or lacing.

By the time my nose was even a foot away, I could tell this one was bad. Strong caramel cherry and dark fruits. Way way too malty and a little funky smelling on top.

Straight up diabetes in the flavor. Lots of cherry and fig with some oak. Tastes like the fake 3% real fruit fruit juices. Beyond sweet.

Little carbonation and a full body which served to point out even more how sweet this one.

Good God this is one of the worst beers I've had in a while and one of the worst without any infection issues. No complexity whatsoever only an all out sweet assault. Out of the 6 people sharing at my house every single one drain poured this.

02-25-2013 15:04:45 | More by jmarsh123
AdamBear

1.58/5  rDev -51.1%

Thanks to BigBlacke for getting ahold of this for me!

A-reddish chestnut with a thin cream colored head. looks beautiful!

S-smells like sweet syrup with some vanilla and oak. has a medium strength. it smells unique!

T-oh my...this beer i will never forget. it comes in with a taste of vanilla and oak and then it transforms and in to a large and odd bitterness. the after-taste has a bit of cinnamon spice but more than anything it reminds me of cough syrup...seriously...this whole beer reminds me exactly of cough syrup

M-i want to not the mouth-feel but i'm afraid to take another sip. well here i go...
it has a medium carbonation with a gross syrupy finish

D-...

02-16-2011 03:35:14 | More by AdamBear
yourefragile

District of Columbia

1.6/5  rDev -50.5%

On tap at Lures.

Why me? Whyyy? Ugh, I think I finally found something more offensive to my palate than ST's cherry saison. This was devastatingly sweet, with vanilla and coconut along with some odd, misplaced bitterness. After a few sips this went straight down the drain. Whatever guys, this was rank.

02-19-2011 23:34:53 | More by yourefragile
Avagadro

1.73/5  rDev -46.4%

A: Ruby in color, clear body, decent head given the ABV. Overall, a fine looking ale.

S: Bouquet is well presented, with honey, cantaloupe, and cinnamon clashing in an excessively sweet mess.

T: Sweet cannot begin to describe this beer. Even "cloying" seems to fall short. There are plenty of good flavors here (vanilla, creme brulee, melon) but this beer is just too damn sweet to enjoy them.

M: Heavy, sticky, flabby...

D: I've read a few other reviews of this beer that address this beer's sweetness, but few have given the score to back it up. I am fairly open minded to the flavors a beer can /should posses, but this is just a mess. Avoid at all cost.

02-09-2011 01:51:02 | More by Avagadro
Spider889

1.93/5  rDev -40.2%

Had this on tap at Bodega. Review from notes.

Geeze, this was an overpriced beer that purported to be something of significance. What a disappointment.

Deep cherrywood color with a small cap of white dander foam. Left bits of webbed lace on the odd Bodega 10oz tulip.

Smell was really lacking. Mildly sweet. Some vanilla and oak. A bit ho-hum to be honest.

The flavor was sweet as hell. This beer would do well to continue aging on some fruit and brettonmyces or something. really young and brash imo. Toasted coconut and very strong hazelnut. Damn it, I HATE hazelnut. Ah, 'tis true. I just can't get over the sweetness though, ugh, it's really awful. There's a mild amount of vanilla and a dry oaky finish.

Drinkability? A rare/hard-to-find beer with high abv and super sweet aroma and flavor profiles makes for horribly poor drinkability in my book.

I was sorely disappointed here, and i love most ST offerings. I think I'll pass on Cuvee Series Four...

01-13-2011 06:24:26 | More by Spider889
MasterSki

1.98/5  rDev -38.7%

Sample with #1 and #2. Taster glass.

A - Thing white foam, wispy cap, thin collar, spotty lace. Transparent dark brown body. Why is this filtered when the others aren't?

S - Alcohol, dark fruits, candi sugar, oaky vanilla, grape juice, a slightly earhty note, and barbaric cloying sweetness. Combines all the elements of #1 and #2 that I didn't like.

T - Taste is slightly better, but still quite bad. Alcohol, oak, cheap port, grain. Something has gone terribly awry - the component parts were much better than the resulting blend.

M - Low carbonation, thick, viscous, full body, definite alcohol heat.

D - This is by far the worst of the three beers - impressively bad blend that evokes largadeer's finest cuvées. Why did it take nearly two years for them to make this after the first two releases?

08-15-2011 15:34:25 | More by MasterSki
JTSbeerislife

2.1/5  rDev -35%

22 oz. Bomber poured into a Dogfish Head Snifter

Pours a 1/8” cap which quickly disappears, leaving a nonexistent head, very deep dark amber color

Wow! This is really bizarre but the first thing I smell is the distinct aroma of smoked meat (bacon), followed by thick smelling malt. I know that this is strange, but it is the best that I can do, never encountered anything like this before! The smoked smell hangs from beginning to end, unfortunately.

Rather sweet entry in the mouth, followed by rich thick syrupy malt, no noticeable hops here at all. The high ABV of 11% is completely buried by the flavor profile of this ale. Huge body, very full, from the intense malting and high ABV. I have to say that this ale is completely unbalanced, for lack of any hops and extremely light acidity. There is not a single flavor here that is appealing, sorry STBC.

I have had a few of this breweries offerings and have liked them all. I purchased this without any prior information because of the producer and the fact that it was oak aged. I don’t know what they were trying for here but it’s not for me or anyone else that I can think of. I am no stranger to “over the top brews”, in fact I search them out, but this is one for the books. Very hard to find anything to like about this except a totally different, if not very good experience. This bottle was not oxidized as some reading this may assume, I know that taste in beer and wine. I have to admit that I dumped this ale, something I cannot recall doing for at least 20 years. I have to say WTF was this!

07-31-2011 22:38:47 | More by JTSbeerislife
IdrinkGas

2.13/5  rDev -34.1%

Pours a golden ruby color with a small watery white head.

Overwhelming cane sugar and caramel malt. Very faint cherry
aroma is there as well.

Taste is as sugary sweet as the nose suggests. Also get some tobacco, leather and some hints of vanilla. Seems like the oak is gone.

Mouthfeel was on the thicker side with little carbonation.

Reminds me of one of their big stouts minus any redeeming qualities. One the worst beers I've had this year. I couldn't choke this down but the sink had no trouble finishing his 17oz portion. Came in a fancy box and had a shiny label so I had higher hopes for this one;o(

08-30-2012 00:37:49 | More by IdrinkGas
tchaos

2.17/5  rDev -32.8%

Shaker pint, then snifter.

A -- Deep amber/copper color with next to no head

S - smells sweet and rich

T -- cloyingly sweet...Phenomenally out-of-control sweetness that masked anything and everything else. I tried....I really did. I had crackers, I tasted it at various temps...just dizzying, phlegm-inducing sweetness.

M -- full, with low carbonation

D -- I'm certain to be an outlier, but sweet to the point of drain pour. I should have paid more attention to the owner's body language when I asked how it was...and definitely should have gotten a sample before ordering one. If you like Wild Blue, or white zin, have a go...

12-30-2010 22:22:23 | More by tchaos
oglmcdgl

2.2/5  rDev -31.9%

On tap at terrace taproom.

A- small fizz of off white head on arrival that settles quickly leaving only a small wisp on top. Dark bronze orange brown in color with a nice glow to it.

S- sweet caramel and toffee and lots of them. Small vanilla oaky touch and light fruity flair.

T- super sweet with loads of caramel and toffee just too much really. The oak doesn't make to big of an impression. Bits of sweet candied fruits and vanilla. Slight hints of wheat bread at times.

M- on the fuller side of medium in body with a light carb. Not really any hint of the abv but its almost needs it how sweet it is.

D- way to sweet completely over powering. Not one ill try again.

01-16-2011 02:23:42 | More by oglmcdgl
russpowell

Oklahoma

2.38/5  rDev -26.3%

Pours an effervescent orange with a slight tan head that fizzles quickly. Minimal head retention & zero lacing

S: Rich cherry & fig notes, the only redeeming feature of this offering

T: Figs, cinnamon, canned pears, & candied orange slices with some cayenne pepper thrown in up front. Cherry Brandy notes as this warms, with booze heat, plus raisins, but none of this really works in harmony, maybe too much oak aging??? Sooo many things wrong here. Finishes beyond cloying, with raisins, cherries & cut-rate pineapple juice

MF: Still carbonation, slick, a touch hot

This is still a mess, glad I got to try it, suprised I did not drain pour it, avoid! Can't believe ST put this clunker out...

Edit, I did drain pour about half of this

07-15-2012 05:19:56 | More by russpowell
caseyf

2.4/5  rDev -25.7%

I really loved the ST Cuvee 1 and I splurged for the 3rd after reading the reviews on BA. I know that some people aren't into the over-the-top ST beers and I wrote off the negative reviews.

This is not a great beer. Flat, sweet, lopsided. Really tough to drink, and I'm a fan of sweet and malty. More hop bitterness, more carbonation, and more dryness would have helped me.

Very disappointing given how much I liked the first from the Oak Aged series. I hate to say it, but save your money.

02-26-2011 05:45:20 | More by caseyf
Jadjunk

Georgia

2.48/5  rDev -23.2%

On tap at Taco Mac Decatur. Reviewed from Notes.

(Appearance) arrives a deep copper mahogany brown, largely translucent but quite dark. Flat head, has little swirls of brown in the surface cover. Looks decent, albeit flat. 3.5

(Smell) Deep caramel, booze, toffee, wood oak tones, minor berry aromas hint of vanilla. Oaken booze flavor is the dominating aroma. Interesting. 3.5

(Taste) Minor booze maple sugar and vanilla front with oak tones trailing throughout. Flavor comes through in the end with a heavy duty slick honey finish. A bit too much vanilla and sweetness in the mix and there's not much balance to the overall beer to round out the sweet flavors; perhaps more bitters are necessary. Not too enjoyable for the price I paid. 2

(Mouthfeel) Very slick, nearly flat in delivery throughout. This amplifies the sweet sugar quality. It could have benefited a lot with a touch more carbonation. Alcohol is a medium in presence, body is a medium/high. Riddled with issues. 2

(Overall) This was hardly worth the money to me. Interesting take but a lack of balance makes this difficult to consume in general. Not very enjoyable or worth your time. Avoid. 2.5

04-25-2012 01:33:47 | More by Jadjunk
Mavajo

Georgia

2.5/5  rDev -22.6%

Amber color with a moderate cream/white head.

Nose has notes of herbal/floral, zesty tangerine characteristics. Oak notes back it all up. Decent nose - interesting.

Taste - wowzers. The wheels are falling off here. This is not enjoyable. Very sweet, with strong caramel malt and toffee characteristics and oak notes - backed up by a sort of herbal/floral undertone. There's an unpleasant bitter aftertaste here that just lingers and lingers on the palate. When it was cold, it was at least drinkable - as it warmed, though, this turned into a disaster. Not in the least bit enjoyable. I soldiered on through about half the bottle, but I'm gonna have to dump the rest - and this is after already drinking a bomber of Black Butte. If a bomber of ~10% can't make a beer drinkable, that beer has problems.

Mouthfeel is decent in the thickness and carbonation department. Very sticky though.

Overall, this beer is a failure in the taste department. I find nothing redeeming about this brew, and I would not drink it again even if it was offered for free. Extremely disappointed in Southern Tier.

01-12-2011 01:48:49 | More by Mavajo
Stinkypuss

2.55/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Southern Tier Cuvee 3

Pours a ruby red, small foamy head forms, retention is ok. Smells of ripe cherries and raisen. In the flavor, quite sweet with a small barrel aged vanilla note and some wood tones. Sugary sweetness dominates. Had it not been for the barrel aging, this beer would have nothing to offer, as it is cloyingly sweet, no hops to balance, and not very complex.

06-09-2011 05:26:37 | More by Stinkypuss
Chaney

District of Columbia

2.6/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I poured a few ounces into a Williamsburg Alewerks sample glass.

A: A slight head that was almost non-existent, and a see-through maroon colored brew that was just waiting to be consumed!

S: A bit of oak, candy sugar, and malt. Supposedly there was some coconut in here, but I honestly couldn't detect any.

T: An oaked-aged sugar bomb for sure. After a few sips, the syrupy, sugary elements started to grate on me.

M: The sugar coated the mouth rather intensely and in a very unpleasant way. The carbonation was extremely low, which only added to my frustration.

O: I'm glad I got to try this, but I'm also glad that it's going to be retired within the next year or so.

03-17-2011 03:48:33 | More by Chaney
codsmith

2.65/5  rDev -18%

A: Pours a dark red with a nice thin layer of off-white foam

S: Has a sweet and malty biscuit aroma really comes off the top. There almost seems to be more of a flavor influence coming from the French oak, with the American oak covered up. It could benefit from some more of the vanilla flavor that is predominate in American oak. There is a VERY subtle citrus hop aroma

T: Very sweet throughout 95% of the beer, but finishes with an odd bitterness. There is an OVERABUNDANCE of caramel malt...it is really hard to get passed it.

M: Sits very heavy in the mouth, almost like a thin syrup. Carbonation levels are perfect for the this beer.

O: I was really expecting more from this due to the description on the box... but sadly there was just way too much caramel to even enjoy this beer. It did have good carbonation and appearance, but lacked everywhere else.

06-19-2011 03:47:35 | More by codsmith
Marty30

2.68/5  rDev -17%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Growler poured into my Harpoon 100 barrel series glass at fridge temp.

A. Deep,clear ruby red body,very nice.poured pretty aggresively it gives a nice two finger fluffy head.Leave some spotty lacing through out the glass.

S. It smells very sweet,sugary raisons and figs.I get alot of the oak as well.It has kind of that belgian spicy smell in there to.

T. Wow very sweet,definately plums and raisons and the dark fruit thing going on here.I get a little of the oak,getting some of that spicyness.I don't know just to damn sweet.

M. Mouth is very thick and coats really nice.some carbonation but not much. Leaves a sweet after taste that lingers.

Overall like I said numerous times this beer is very sweet,way to sweet for my liking.I have a growler of this and I'm struggling to get this glass down.Kind of dissapointing.

Serving type: growler

05-04-2011 00:43:08 | More by Marty30
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

2.68/5  rDev -17%

Pours 1/2 finger of beige head. Fades to a thin ring. Color is a clear copper amber.

Aroma: A lot of oak. Toasted coconut and marshmallow flavors. Brown sugar and caramel. Some vanilla. A lot of malts.

Taste: Very rich and sweet. A ton of toasted coconut and oak. Some marshmallow. Caramel and toffee sweetness. Vanilla and brown sugar. Mimics the nose with the exception of some alcohol here.

Mouthfeel: Boozy, smooth, cloying. Medium to full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends sticky and sweet.

Overall, the sweetness was a bit too much for me. Very cloying. This one tasted fine, but it was really hard to drink a lot.

EDIT: The more I drank of this beer, the harder it became to drink. I could hardly finish a few ounces.

07-15-2011 02:02:46 | More by mothman
SLeffler27

2.75/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A thin, off-white head makes a brief appearance above a reddish, copper, clear ale.

The wine sampler glass presents an overly sweet, spicy, almost rabbit feed, aroma with musty notes, caramel, and vanilla.

As anticipated, this one is exceptionally sweet, with complex spices. However, it is all over the place and confused. Even the finish is sweet, with nuances of dates and prunes.

A full-bodied, syrupy beer that leaves a sticky residue on the lips. Carbonation is modest and alcohol is controlled for 11%.

The sweetness here is over the top and detracting, as are the peculiar spices. It would be difficult to find any suitable pairing to tame this experience. While it is certainly interesting, it is nonetheless difficult to finish the bottle.

04-21-2013 14:44:51 | More by SLeffler27
prototypic

2.8/5  rDev -13.3%

Cuvee Three pours a deep copper color. It's very clear, and has bright crimson highlights with backlighting. It's a nice color. A cream colored head caps it off and stands about a finger and a half tall. Retention was relatively short. Lacing was very, very light. Maybe the 11% abv was too much for it.

The nose is very average. It smells sweet and caramel heavy. No big shock there. There's some oak and vanilla lingering about. They make things a little interesting. Cherry is strong, and gives it a medicinal aroma. Not a good thing. Alcohol is strong in the mix. Definitely comes across as boozy. It doesn't smell overtly bad, but it's not far off. Average at best.

The flavor is actually below average. It does have a substantial caramel malt base that is rather sweet. The oak aging definitely added oak and vanilla flavors. They're present, but I'm not sure that they complement much. Cherry is definitely noted and makes it quite cough syrup-esque. There's also a hint of a nutty flavor, but it doesn't add anything. Alcohol is definitely strong and warm. Finishes boozy and medicinal. Eh. Not good.

Cuvee Three has a medium body that leans full with warming. For what it's worth at this point, the feel is good. Carbonation is light and works well. Drinkability is below average. Despite its nice feel, the flavor isn't good enough to encourage consumption. It's also big and very warm. A 22 ounce is way too big of a serving size.

I'm honestly not sure what I was thinking when I bought this bottle. Cuvee One and Two both were disappointing. Perhaps I was hoping that a blend of two negatives would equal a positive. Unfortunately, that isn't the case here. Cuvee Three is my least favorite of the bunch. Its worst qualities are that it's medicinal and too boozy. I'm a fan of Southern Tier, but not of this series. Just scrap it and do not revisit.

02-26-2011 03:07:37 | More by prototypic
Vierenner

2.93/5  rDev -9.3%

If not for the hops I might think I was drinking a carbonated after dinner liqueur, 22 ounces of it. I like a sweeter beer but this is over the top. I don't remember the Series Two batch being nearly so sweet ... perhaps my taste has just become more refined since then!

01-19-2011 01:34:39 | More by Vierenner
brentk56

2.93/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear garnet color with a modest head that leaves strands of lace behind

Smell: An abundance of caramel with oaky/vanilla elements

Taste: Caramel, caramel and more caramel, up front, with a oaky/vanilla aspect that develops by mid-palate, along with a cheery cough syrup character, as well; after the swallow, the sweet flavors become rather cloying

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, with low to moderate carbonation; very sticky with warmth in the gullet

Overall: Far too one-dimensional, with a lack of hop balance; I really tried to like it but ultimately, the sweetness got the better of me

08-28-2011 22:34:36 | More by brentk56
bigdaddyeric301

2.95/5  rDev -8.7%

Appearance: not much of a head generated. It's pretty easy to see through this beer.
Smell: Carmel in the nose. A lot of oak, too.
Taste: Am I drinking oak syrup?
Mouthfeel: a nice thick, syrupy feel.
Overall: Too much oak. Too syruppy. It would be good in a shot glass but it's not fit for a pint glass.
I wouldn't do it again.