Oak Aged Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Oak Aged Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Oak Aged Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-09-2009

Ratings: 1,113 | Reviews: 566
3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

This is my first oak aged Double IPA. Shared with my buddy Dave today and reviewed on the fly. New shiny label with a hops cone wearing a crown.

Pours into my cab glass a clear amber with brassy edges. White creamy head which dissipates quickly leaving a chunky, bubbly halo and fine mist of surface foam.

Smells of big, piney hops and wood (ie, oak!) and light vanilla. The nose is big and potent on this one. Very interesting...

Medium bodied and medium to full flavored. Compared to their regular Unearthly, the hops are muted, but still there. The woodiness definitely places a role in this one. The woody aroma carries over into the mouth. Kinda reminds me of a hoppier version of their ST Cuvee #1 (which sadly, I wasn't a big fan of).

Ordinarily, I enjoy this beer for it's hops presence, and I'm not a big fan of this interpretation. Sorry!

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

EBF 2011 leftovers. No bottling date. Poured from a 22oz. bomber into Lost Abbey stemware.

A: Standard pour yields a 1 finger frothy, substantial off-white head with moderate retention. Beer is a clear dark orange. Lacing is spotty and sparse with little cling. An attractive beer.

S: Nose is sweet citrus hops, tangerine, and peach. Also a bit of cane sugar and vanilla. Aromatic and appetizing but just a tad too sweet for my liking and for the style.

T: Opens sweet citrus, vanilla, and cane sugar. Peach and tangerine in the middle with a very muted, hop bitterness lingering in the background. This is most assuredly the anti-hop bomb. Very sweet overall. Finish is more cane sugar and sweet tropical fruit. Aftertaste is citrus and even more sugar.

M: Light to medium bodied with low carbonation. Smooth and watery in the mouth. Goes down easy with just a slight tingling of bubbles at the end. Finish is messy with a lingering aftertaste. A bit too flat for its style in my opinion.

D: This is a good beer. However, true to Southern Tier style, I think its very polarizing. Hopheads will hate it as its very sweet for an IPA. In addition, personally, I don't want my IPAs to be oak aged. The vanilla and barrel subtleties just don't work with the style. Definitely worth a try as you could be absolutely blown away by it, but go in with said expectations.

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Woody oak and musty horse blanket are very prominent in the nose. Green grassy hops, pine aromas and some what citrus round out the back end. The oak is really making the aroma much more of an age issue. The hops transfer to the flavor along with the horse blanket. Sweet bread like malts, and Golden graham cereal are the flavors I get. The mouth feel is rather smooth and not overly carbonated. dates and the golden graham cereal finish off the palette an dleave a sticky dryness...if you can understand that.

3.26/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured froma 22 oz bomber to a fluted tulip glass. Smells like oak barrels, similar in smell to White Oak Jai Alai.

The oak definitely dominates the beer. It over shadows the hops, but there is still plenty of malt backbone. Solid body, with just the right amount of carbonation. Not as hot as I expected at 9.5 ABV. I expected more hops in an IIPA. Good, but not my favorite from ST. I'm glad I tried it, but I won't drink it again.

3.21/5  rDev -21.1%

Bomber, no freshness date. Tried to drink @ slightly chilled temp, then chilled to brewer recommended temp.

A - poured a hazy amber. Almost two finger head with solid retention and good lacing.

S - Overwhelming malty and bready, few citrusy hops but not enough to balance the malt sweetness.

T - Enough hops to balance the malts, but thats it - very strong malty backbone - clearly a DIPA here, much closer to DFH 120 than DFH 90 as I was hoping, but @ 11%ABV it is a fair expectation. Hop heads would prefer a stronger hop presence to add more power to the hop profile.

M - Full, think mouthfeel, not quite syrupy, but close. A bit too much for me.

D - HAD to drink cold, @ more than recommended temp was simply to thick. Had to put in freezer (even the glass) after opening to finish. Much more drinkable @ a colder temp.

I don't know if I would buy this again, even given the ABV (more in Barleywine territory) I thought it was a bit over the top malty. I have seen other reviews that say it is very hoppy, so maybe my bottle is old? I would prefer a Monster Ale if looking for an alcohol hop bomb or a Rouchefort 10 if I wanted a meal.

I am a huge fan of Southern Tier, but I would much prefer a Victory Hop Wallop or even a DFH 90 minute. In the case of the former, it has a much thinner mouthfeel, and as a result a stronger hop flavor. The DFH 90 is more along the lines of this brew, but with a little stronger hop profile.

Fairly sure this is an old bottle. Will give it another chance and review again.

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

A: Poured into my Deschutes snifter a hazy orange color, decent sized head but not much lace down the glass
S: Slight spicy scent, caramel malt scent in there as well...also definate alcohol smell
T: Astringent hoppiness, alcohol and oak flavors
M: Full bodied beer, sticky and warming
D: Too thick any syrupy for my taste. This isnt a very drinkable beer.

3.19/5  rDev -21.6%

Bottled 3/1/12, poured into a tulip

A - Pours a beautiful clear copper with one and a half fingers of tan head. Head doesn't last that long. Only small spots of lacing left behind.

S - Oak is very prominent in the aroma. Otherwise big sweet malty aroma with some piney hops.

T - Initially sticky sweet (seems to be a common theme with Southern Tier) and malt heavy. Eventually, some hop bitterness comes through and the oak really starts to ramp up. The bitterness is no match for the sweetness. There seems to be some IPAs that have a smell/taste that reminds me of bolonga, and this is one of them (granted, I've been vegetarian for almost 20 years, but I ate a lot of the stuff as a kid, so take that with a grain of salt). Not necessarily good or bad, but a bit distracting. Stays sweet throughout. The hops and oak are no match for the sweetness. Decent, but not really what I look for in a DIPA.

M - Full, sticky sweet mouthfeel with some bitterness on the finish.

O - Can't help but wonder how I would review this if were listed as an American Strong Ale. As a DIPA, it is too thick and sweet, with a less than assertive hop presence. Doesn't taste too bad though.

3.17/5  rDev -22.1%

22oz brown glass pry-top. No date.

Appearance: Pours a very clear, pale amber with yellow tones (looks like a light ale/darker lager). Thick sudsy white head that stays for a long while.

Nose: Hops - vanilla - hops - vanilla - hops - etc. It smells like my local homebrew supply store. Lots of white chocolate, lemon, white cake batter, a little musty note. Smells thick and sweet.

Palate: Immensely sweet up-front with vanilla and cake batter dominating the flavors. Some bitter orange/grapefruit sneak in towards the middle and the hops claw their way back and try to stop the beer from being sweet, but alas. Body is medium to light.

Notes: Can't really get behind this offering. The oak seems to only mute the hop flavors while adding some really unpleasantly sweet notes. I keep coming back to white cake batter, and that's not really a flavor I like in my IPA's. Maybe in a wheat beer, or an old ale, but it's off-putting here. Going to stick with the regular Un*Earthly for now.

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%

Wow. I'm really surprised by this ale. I love regular Unearthly but this version seems forced. The oak aging dilutes the hoppy goodness, replaces it with a woody, vanilla, oak profile. In the process, the whole beer suffers.

Nose bears very little resemblance to a IIPA. Instead of hops there is wood, vanilla, pepper, cinnamon. All of these elements carry over to the taste along with the expected Unearthly sweetness. But with the diminished hops, it ends up being a little one sided. I wonder if this beer is suffering (ratingwise) because I am judging it to style or comparing it mentally to the regular Unearthly. If I approached it as a hopped up Barlywine a la SN Bigfoot, would I appreciate it more?

3.11/5  rDev -23.6%

On tap at Ray's Place in Kent, OH.

Appearance - A sugary cream-like foam rests on top of this earth-toned beer. The beer itself is earthy brown and caramely tan and yellow. It has quite a solid and impressive lacing to the glass.

Smell - Malts and caramel notes overwhelm my nostrils here. The hops are present but hiding in the shadows.

Taste - Much sweeter than I expected it to be. Quite a heavy bourbon note that masks the hops. The bitters come on the finish. Many floral and earthy notes become more noticeable as I continue drinking.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - While drinkable, it is a little too sweet in a fruity way. It almost tasted like it had porter-like characteristics to me. Fairly light bodied.

3.11/5  rDev -23.6%

A solid pour into my New Belgium globe glass produces a fat-three-finger thick, nicely tan looking head. The beer is a concentrated amber color that shows a brilliantly clear, copper-amber color when held up to the light. Up front the beer smells of pungent hops with notes of pine, herbaceous hemp oil (with a certain dankness to it), candied citrus fruit (grapefruit, tangelo and bergamot) as well as some bright tropical fruit notes that remind me of lychee, kumquat and a sort of floral, super-peach note. The oak integrates very well with the hop character; it naturally accentuates the herbal notes with a spicy, buttery, woody oak aroma. As the beer warms the alcohol becomes a touch hot.

The beer feels a touch lighter than I was expecting from the viscous looking pour, but it is still fairly full bodied. The hop flavor is a bit reduced from what one would expect from the expressive aroma. The oak character might actually be a little more present, or at least more on par with the hop flavors. The oak and green hops combine to contribute a sort of raw, menthol-like, spicy, dank-buttery-almost-cheesy herbaceous quality that is the dominant note here. Supporting flavors of ruby-red-grapefruit, tangelo and lychee are noticeable in the middle, while the finish has a pronounced green, peppery note that lingers on the palate for quite some time. Speaking of the finish there is an oak derived astringency that couples with the hop-bitterness, as well as the previously mentioned peppery note, to produce an almost harsh finish to this beer. The malt character plays a definite supporting role, but is a bit too crystal malt focused with some intrusive hints of sweet-tea and caramelized, toasted grain that clashes with the hop / oak combination instead of smoothing them out. The sharp / harsh finish is exacerbated as it warms by a hot-alcohol presence.

An interesting beer, despite really being in the mood for something hoppy, this didn't really quite work for me. The oak provides a certain astringency, as well as accentuating a bit more of the herbaceous hop qualities that I would prefer. This is certainly not a bad beer though, and I can see some really enjoying it, but it really just isn't quite for me. My final assessment is that the oak and hops combine to create a flavor that reminds me of raw, herbaceous, citrus infused, dank, slightly ripe cheese and menthol, crystal malt laden tea.

3.07/5  rDev -24.6%

A - pours cloudy amber with a very fluffy head of tight bubbles. Good detention, not much lacing
S- a lot going on here. Fruity hops are followed by bigtime vanilla from the oak, and some banana. Heavy caramel malt background

T - well, I guess I don't like oak aged ipas. Initial hops hit is nice, but then the sweet vanilla and wood comes in leaving a bad aftertaste for me.

M - great chewy body with low to medium coronation...nice

D - hoppy sweet combo just killed it for me, also why I don't get along with barleywines. Probably a fine beer for the type, just not for me.

3.07/5  rDev -24.6%

I asked a friend to purchase me an IPA bomber. He came back with this. Friend is now best friend. JUST KIDDING. Anyway, i wasn't expecting a DIPA so i let this thing rattle around in my car for about a week.

After a long jog, decided to forgo water and crack this thing open instead. Poured nicely, sorta a caramel/grapefruit color. No head, which left me scratching MY head. I guess "balance" is what Southern Tier was going for.

It literally smelled like a hot candied apple. Sweet, mostly. Malts (OAK?) at the forefront. Hops in the back. Wish it tickled my nose more. I prefer the floral scent.

The taste was pleasant but syrupy. Balanced and consistent from the front of my tongue to the rear. You can tell its oak aged at the very "end". Gives it a cedar taste, not oak. The alcohol taste was disappointing but at 11% I know what I'm getting into.

For the DIPA style, it was solid. Craving an DIPA and don't already have a favorite? Don't be afraid to pluck this from the shelf. If you haven't dabbled in the genre, its a decent gateway. Would have preferred more HOPS and less oak, though.

3.06/5  rDev -24.8%

Nice amber pour with a little over a finger of head that leaves a small amount of lacing. Smell has a good amount of caramel maltiness and wood notes, almost overpowering the hop character underneath which has banana/flower/crayon wax qualities.

The taste is somewhat odd, almost barleywine-esque but a little too light for that distinction. As a DIPA I think this fails, as an Oak Aged DIPA it fails, and as an American Barleywine it is OK. An alcohol solvent taste overshadows what is underneath, and truthfully I believe that the regular Unearthly is a subpar DIPA so aging it in barrels can only do so much. This definitely is better, but I would hardly call it "good"

Medium bodied, this one just doesn't satisfy my palate at all really. It would be fine in 2 oz. samples but as far as being able to sit back and have a pint and enjoy it, I just don't get that kind of pleasure out of this.

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

The aromas are loaded with dank hop earthiness and woodiness from the oak aging. Defintely also some Citrus/pine and the alcohol notes finish out the smells.

The tastes are good, with apple brandy-like alcohol that is hot on the tongue right off the bat, but this one is too syprupy for me. I just can't enjoy a beer that tastes this thick. Cloyingly sweet in my opinion. Carbonation is undetectable and the body is too thick to enjoy the hop profile; sugary body sticks to the tongue. I'm also having a hard time enjoying the wood aging because of the extreme cloyingness of this one. ABV isn't tasted but understood because of the thickness in malt.

Overall, this one just doesn't come together for me. The oak is there, but not in a good way, and the thickness/syrup qualities, detract from the hops.

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

A: Thin copper in color. About and inch or so of nice foamy head which dissipates relatively quickly, but does leave some lacing in the process.

S: Malt, piney hops, maybe a little bit of citrus, followed by boozy smell of bourbon.

T: oh god, what is this? Liquified wood? Sure there are some malts and hops there, but they appear to have been beaten into submission by the unique flavor of furniture. please, someone give me a chaser.

M: Full bodied. Syrupy and medicinal. There was decent carbonation when I first popped the bottle, but the CO2 appears to have made a run for it as soon as the opportunity presented itself. Leaves a funky sawdust residue on the tongue.

D: No. Never again. My 22oz bomber was way too much. The only reason I'm even giving it a couple points here is because the folks at ST decided to put a lot of alcohol in this beer.

3.04/5  rDev -25.3%

poured from a bottle into tulip pint. very little head that was light and frothy. very nice retention.

the smell threw me off, waaaay too much vanilla and i hate vanilla. do not care for

taste is out there. kind of reminds of the oak flavor from an oaked arrogant bastard but with tons of vanilla. slight IPA flavor hidden in the background. i find the oak flavor too dominant. i also find it a smidge too sweet. if this were more balanced with bigger hop flavor, it could be far better.

carbonation was near perfect. very full bodied and smooth.

i am not feeling this at all. a one time thing and thats it. i applaud ST for their effort as i like seeing new varieties of IPAs coming out.

3.03/5  rDev -25.6%

Sampled from a standard pint glass. Purchased at Nikki's in N Providence, RI.

A - Starts very well. A beautiful golden color with great clarity and a moderate off white head. Great lacing.

S - Surprisingly nice aroma. Starts floral and fruity but then gets more complex with loads of oak and a fair amount of alcohol. More and more tropical fruits as it warms at the end.

T - Initially a balanced flavor of hop oils, alcohol and malt (although the malt plays a lesser role). But this beer wore me down and I enjoyed it less and less as it went on. I just think the oak is too much for the light malts and it seems to clash with the hops rather than enhance them.

M - Very smooth and creamy. The carbonation is there but it doesn't get in the way at all.

D - I like a strong DIPA or Imperial Stout that can make the strong flavors work but this one was too strong and oaky for me. It tastes more like liquor than beer.

Served in a 16 oz. Pilsener style glass (They were super busy and had no other glassware) at Rustico's in Alexandria, Va.

To tell the truth I didn't know this was the oak aged version until halfway through the beer. I saw the tap handle first and didn't read the tap list until later.

The head was thick, off white, and stuck around for awhile. The appearance was of an American Amber. The beer had a strong hop aroma dominated by citrusy grapfruit aromas backed up by strong notes of pine.

Oak Aged Unearthly had a strong malt presence to counteract the hops but they ended up clashing with one another rather than working together. The crisp hop bitterness never came through in the end. Any presence of oak was faint and struggled to make it's presence known through the syrupy malty mess of a mouthfeel.

The mouthfeel on this beer was a real dissapointment, in fact it ruined the beer. As soon as it warmed up it became syrupy and thick and a pain to drink. The thickness really brought out a cloyingly sweet taste. It ruined any chance of drinkability. Granted, 16 oz. of a beer this big is probably too much but then again my mouth waters at the thought of 16 oz. of Bell's Hopslam.

This was my first try of either version of Unearthly. Perhaps the unoaked version is better but I will be wary of trying it.

2.96/5  rDev -27.3%

Had on tap.

A- Pours a pale yellowish orange color. Two finger white head shows good retention...ends up capping the beer. Web style lacing on the sides of the glass as I drink this one down.

S- Taking a couple sniffs I at first picked up vanilla oak notes. Strong bready caramel malts show up as well long before any hops come through which I thought was weird. Earthy hops do come though next but long after when I thought they should have shown up. Alcohol come through in the very ending making a light burning in the nose itself.

T- Alcohol comes through in the front of the beer to start off with...although with the ABV it didn't surprise me. A light bitterness from hopping coming through next giving a light peppery note as well. The middle of the beer has the oak finally come through with hints of vanilla covering a bready caramel malt base body. Ending shows a little more of the malt in the front before the citrus hops show up in the form of oranges. Alcohol comes back around this time a lot more strong and a little medicinal like.

M- Medium heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Bitter hops, caramel malts, and light oak are left on the palate. Aftertaste is medicinal alcohol, light fruity hops, and syrupy caramel malts. Flavors didn't really blend together very well cause a big stop and go feel while drinking. No off flavors were present but the alcohol did kind of make it a annoyance. Heavy alcohol drying on the palate.

O- This beer didn't really do it for me. The aging of it in oak didn't help the overall flavor. I personally didn't like all the alcohol that crept up while I was drinking it. A syrupy sweet mess for most of the beer. Oh well...it always seem to be a hit or miss with me and Southern Tier.

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

22oz bottle that just hit the shelf today.

A- somewhat dark amber colored body under a lasting, sticky, finger of an off white colored head.

S- this one smells strongly in general. tons of hops, but lots of malt to back it up. pine and citrus hops are the most pronounced. the malt is all caramel smelling.

T- wow...brutal. very intense and in your face. sweet caramel malts seem weak against the massive amounts of hops in here. loads of citrus and pine. slightly fruity. the oak is barely noticeable, and produces an almost medicinal quality. the alcohol is very strong, and almost overpowering. not cool.

M- full bodied and almost syrupy. high level of carbonation makes it feel creamy. lots of warming form the booze.

D- ugh. this one started out so well, and then the wheels fell off this bus as soon as i tasted it. the alcohol is way too strong and the oak made that nasty medicinal taste that sort of reminded me of cough syrup. a good idea that turned a good beer into a train wreck. sorry southern tier, i just really didnt like this one.

2.91/5  rDev -28.5%

A: Looks-wise, this was fine. Copper color with a thin white head.

S: Here's where it started to go wrong for me. The label said IPA, but all I smelled was a ton of oak and a lot of sweet malts. No hops.

T: Again, no hops. Something tells me that I shouldn't have waited so long to drink this. It had been sitting in storage for about a month, which I didn't think was too long. The hops weren't faded though, they were completely nonexistent. The taste was almost more like a sweet chardonnay than a beer. I really want to try this fresh and see how much better it is.

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a tulip. This one pours a deep copper color with about an inch of creamy white head. A little bit of thin lace is left behind.

The aroma has bit of a malty backbone to it with hints of vanilla and some citrus hops. A little more hops in the aroma would be nice but this is pleasant. The pallet has a mellow hop flavor with hints of caramel and vanilla in the background. Very soft citrus hop flavor.

A little heavy on the body and sticky. Soft carbonation on this. Overall this one is a bit of a letdown. The hops don't show up like I would want them to.

2.88/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured a copper-amber with a thinnish off-white head that leaves lacing.

There was a hint of grapefruit/orange citric hop however the nose was predominantly malty.

It tastes rich and malty, moderately sweet, oak is quite noticable, and there is a hint of vanilla and spice. It's basically very similar to an classic oaked chardonnay, yet it's labeled IPA, a DIPA at that. I get no hops. Certainly not what I would expect from an IPA.

It's lightly carbonated and heavier bodied. Being sweet, malty and heavy it wasn't very easy to drink. I bought this one as fresh as they come, the clerk indicating it had arrived at the store that very day.

2.88/5  rDev -29.2%

22oz bomber poured into a snifter.

A: Amber body with a not too vigorous head that leaves little lacing.

S: Between the hops and the wood, it smells pretty much exactly like a pine tree.

T: Pretty big disappointment. I can't really detect any vanilla or caramel from the wood or grassiness or citrus from the hops. It's almost as if the two cancel each other out. All that's left is generic bitterness. On the plus side, alcohol is hardly detectable.

M: Heavy and syrupy.

D: After being blown away by Great Divide 15th Anniversary and liking the original Unearthly, I was expecting big things from this beer. But this didn't do anything for me. Back to the drawing board, ST.

Oak Aged Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company