Oak Aged Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Oak Aged Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Oak Aged Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-09-2009)

greenhorn, Jan 18, 2012

methtlcai, Nov 24, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -63.1%

chrispoint, Feb 18, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -63.1%

jam354, Dec 20, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -53.8%

A_Pours hazy orange with a fluffy bone white head. Thick lacing.

S_Oak,vanilla,overbearing sweet malt.

T_Way too sweet.Extreme sweetness, oak, caramel, vanilla. This is a dumper for sure.

M_Thick and full bodied but flat. Very flat which is contradicting to the appearance.

D_If there was a lower score than one this would be a candidate.

Just a flat overly sweet mess.

nickadams2, Sep 04, 2010
1.88/5  rDev -53.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. I really wish Southern Tier would place a freshness date on their bottles... With that said, I'm assuming this is fairly fresh since it just started hitting shelves in the area.

A - Pours a thick, clear, dark orange with a small off-white head. Decent lacing remains on the glass. Not much in the way of a visible carbonation.

S - Very malt forward - mostly caramel. I don't smell ANY hops, no matter how many times I smell the beer at any temperature. Alcohol is fairly prevalent. A light woodiness comes through.

T - Spicy, woody, oakiness. That's about where this one stops. Again, I'm not detecting any hops at all in the taste. There's no way I would guess this was a DIPA if I didn't know going into it. Light vanilla undertones in the finish. Slight bitterness, strong alcohol presence, and very sweet. Aging this one on/in oak did nothing to help the beer. Terrible. I greatly prefer the regular Unearthly.

M - Think and syrupy. Full bodied. Extremely light carbonation.

D - Undrinkable. Am I drinking the same beer as everyone else here??? I managed to get through my glass, but drain-poured the beer remaining in the bottle. The oakiness and maltiness greatly overpower the hops here. Needs a much better balance.

kevinv, Apr 09, 2011

jaidenjb, Apr 22, 2012

JLapadura, Jul 14, 2012

DonFrap, Mar 27, 2012

towlea25, Jan 08, 2012
2.23/5  rDev -45.2%

22 oz. bottle at the suggested temp of 42* poured into my Stone IRS tulip.

A: This beast pours red-orange with some haze and a bubbly collar barely hangin on. This has very low carbonation.

S: The oakiness really comes through in the nose along with apricots, maple, piney almost astringent hops, and a definite alcohol presence.

T: It really bears more resemblance to a wheatwine than anything else. The taste is sweet maple, caramel malts, some hoppy bitterness, and a strong boozy backround.

M: Hot, sticky, and some other innuendos I'll leave out.

D: This begins way too sweet and ends way too warm in your stomach.

bucklemyshoe, Sep 25, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. No visible bottling date is present from what I can see.

A very even solid amber if cloudy body, with an extremely off yellow and creamy looking head. Head has lots of staying power and retention.

Nose is buttery mostly, but not total diacetyl, but no particularly hop forward.

Maple syrup sugar. Ridiculously sweet. Granular white sugar texture I feel like there should be granuals in my teeth I could pick them out. I can't even talk about any of the other supposed flavors here cause its a syrupy sugar overpowering sensation.

Overall a sugar bomb mess. I would want to say something about the malt presence or god forbid..maybe HOPS?? but this is just like drinking maple syrup. What's the point unless you are diabetic...

smakawhat, Sep 30, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -43.5%

Got this bomber in the Disc Golf 2 BIF.
Served in a nonic pint.
DOB- 03/24/12

Dark orange body, almost wanna call it "burnt orange."
Two fingers of sticky, creamy, beige head has pretty good retention and lacing.
Smells syrupy-- like malty and piney combined in such a way I can only describe as syrupy. Malts are roasted and sweet while the hops provide a bitterness and a piney, slightly citrus/floral backdrop. The oaking helps to dry it out at the finish, but not enough.
Feels syrupy... Something about this beer-- the first word I think of, and the one that keeps recurring is "syrupy." Residual sugary and oily feel. Coats my teeth and makes me feel like brushing.

Overall-- meh. I've had this beer before and I seem to remember deciding not to review it because at the time I didn't want to score beers too far below average due to my newness at the time... Now, 4 years later, I know I wasn't wrong with my first impressions... Very unimpressed.

AleWatcher, May 05, 2012
2.35/5  rDev -42.3%

No date on bottle, poured into a snifter. Beer appears thick. Clear, orange and forms a thin diffuse head of small white bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is criminally low. Seriously low.

Boozy aroma, hops and lots of sweet malt. There is some hint of woods, not much though.

Big body, spicy, lots of hop flavor and malt sweetness, lots. Its kind of like drinking syrup with this undercurrent of woodiness. Its not as good as the unearthly, I'm not sure what the wood aging did to it. I guess its making it close to undrinkable. I hate this beer.

There is a tendency to age a portion of a beer in barrels or on wood and tell everyone that its a new beer and people's general reaction is that its better, but especially with a hoppy beer there are reasons not to do it. Not all beer benefits from contact with wood, air, and time. Its just a waste of hops. Never again.

drabmuh, Apr 14, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -41%

A - Clear reddish-orange with a light brown foamy head. Head quickly fades to a thin cap on top of the beer. Moderately active carbonation bubbles rising to the top.

S - Earthy and citrus hops mixed with a little wood. Some grapefruit and a little biter orange peel. Also some piney notes as the beer warms. Alcohol is also noticeable.

T - like orange peel, mixed with vanilla.

M - Medium to full bodied and very sticky. The sweetness lingers with you. Moderate carbonation. thick, a slit coat after swallowing .

I do not why but this beer made me nausea, there that bitter orange peel in the mouthfeel and smell, did not care for this one.

edited: I have tried there Pale ale sample pack and cannot believe this beer was this bad... I really do not know what happened, i cannot change my D+ grade, but overall a awesome brewery.

ledemie, Sep 24, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -39.1%

A- Pours a golden amber color with very little head that goes away very fast and leaves a very small amount of bubbles on the edges. Lacing is decent.

S- Smells of grapefruit and lemon. On the back end there is some vanilla probably from the oak.

T- Taste seems to be almost unnaturally sweet with vanilla oak flavors that take over the great piney hoppy flavor. The grapefruit is not nearly as strong as it should be.

M- Goes down fairly creamy smooth, almost too much so.

D- Overall, I think this is almost too strong on the vanilla sweetness and is kinda harsh on the stomach. I am not sure what it is with Southern Tier beers, they seem to be either really sweet or overpowered in the flavor that they advertise.

boogyman, Nov 03, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -39.1%

Pours a mostly clear deep amber with a sudsy tan head that has little retention against the edge of the glass and little lacing.

S - Big sweet caramel malts up front, with some grassy, pine hops in the background and some warming alcohol as well.

T - Again with the big sweet caramel malts predominant up front. This is a DIPA? Big notes of dried dark fruits, raisins, and dates. What's this, oak aged too? I don't taste and of it.

M - Full body, a little low on the carbonation, but still finishes clean with some dryness from the abv and oak aging. Lingering, ambiguous bitterness from the hops.

D - The abv is hidden well for it being 11%. Much too malt forward for what I want in a DIPA.

garuda, Jun 28, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Aging this big ol hop bomb on some oak? Let's do it

Beautiful copper orange glow with good clarity and a big sticky off white head. Great lacing on the glass. Noticeable smoky oak character on the nose, touch of mint, citric and piney hops underneath it all, touches of vanilla. Lots of oak though, smells like a pine forest.

Lots of oak from start to finish. The oak is really the show here with the other flavors kind of complimenting it. Big mouthfeel from start to finish. Touches of caramel. Undertones of tropical fruit, alot of same flavors from the nose. All extremely well blended into once concise sip with the flavors all melding. The oak is a bit overpowering though. You really have to dig for the other flavors. Maybe this could benefit from a bit more aging at home. Good but eh.

jtierney89, Apr 17, 2012

dgeebs07, Jul 05, 2012

doucmehu, Jan 17, 2013

zenwatts, Jan 22, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -37.3%

A: Got about 4 fingers of off-white foam on top of a dark orange, muddy brown body. Good retention and lacing

S: Some caramel malt on the nose followed by some citrusy hop aromas.

T: Almost completely opposite of the aroma, this beer is a malt bomb. Caramel malt up front followed by a little bitterness from the hops. Very sweet aftertaste with a nice alcohol, bourbon-like burn.

M: Medium-thick body with fairly light carbonation. Fairly creamy.

D: With a very present alcohol burn and huge malt presence, this isn't a very drinkable beer.

Overall, this beer is much more like an old ale than a DIPA. As an old ale, I'd say it's at least in the B range. As a DIPA, it fails pretty miserably with so few hops to balance out the malt. I've had some big 10+% DIPAs with age on them and they turn into nice, hoppy barleywines. Not this beer, though. The hops are almost entirely gone except for the nose.

n2185, Feb 06, 2011
2.55/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Slightly reddish orange, modest carbonation, small off-white head and just a little lacing.

S: Really distinctive and unexpected. Strong caramel, some wood, a little spicy. Some pine and earthy smells and a whisper of citrus from the hops. There's something odd and almost medicinal about it though, with so many different aromas competing it feels slightly off.

T/M: As with the smell, this is a pile-up of all sorts of jarring flavors. Lots and lots of caramel and vanilla sweetness over everything, mixing with some woody flavors, a bit of spiciness, and in the aftertaste the hops finally make their presence known a little bit with just a touch of bitterness going down. Hides the alcohol well.

O: This beer is kind of a mess and I can't really decide if I hate it or if I appreciate its distinctiveness. It's definitely original, but in the end it's too syrupy sweet and the flavors never really blend well, with the caramel being very overpowering and everything else fighting against that dominant flavor.

sevenarts, Mar 28, 2012
2.65/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This poured well and looked great. I was enhanced by the description and stated ABV but I did not expect a sickenly sweet taste that both of us noted. At first I thought it was great but with each sip it seemed to be sweeter - not what I usually want from a beer.. I won't try it again - but I won't give up on Southern Tier Brewing...

rmargeson, Nov 14, 2013
2.73/5  rDev -32.9%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours a clear orange amber color that looks just like apple juice. Produced a good white colored head, but dissipated immediately.

(S)- A very sweet yet boozy caramel & butterscotch

(T)- Sweet caramel & butterscotch with a bit of vanilla oakiness. Very boozy. Where are the hops? This reminds me more of an old ale at this point. Is this too old?

(M)- A good carbonation level, but way too hot & boozy. This feels like a huge 18%abv monster, but its only 11%. Rather sweet as well; almost candy-like.

(D)- Not a winner in my opinion. Way too boozy and sweet for what it should be like. Could this probably just be too old or a bad bottle? I see that everyone else who has rated this has given it rave reviews, but I just dont see it at least in the bottle I just tried. I will definitely try to find another one that is hopefully fresh. More breweries need bottled dates!

sweemzander, Jan 02, 2010