Oak Aged Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Oak Aged Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Oak Aged Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-09-2009)
2.75/5  rDev -32.4%

Mikeymcglynnigan, Apr 27, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -31.2%

22 oz bomber poured into a tulip.

4.5 A: Ultra clear medium orange color. Two fingers of frothy head with excellent retention and good lacing.

3.0 S: Woodiness sticks out, but is a little weird. Kinda like pinesol with a lemony tinge. Floral hops supplement.

2.5 T: Strange woody flavor sticks around into the flavor. Lemony wood flavor, like pine-Sol. Plenty of hop flavor and even more maltiness.

3.5 M: Mouthfeel average overall. Good creaminess, carbonation, etc...

2.5 D: I like the original better. The oak aging adds a flavor I don't like. (But I do like wood aging.)

DavoleBomb, Mar 17, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

Poured a copper-amber with a thinnish off-white head that leaves lacing.

There was a hint of grapefruit/orange citric hop however the nose was predominantly malty.

It tastes rich and malty, moderately sweet, oak is quite noticable, and there is a hint of vanilla and spice. It's basically very similar to an classic oaked chardonnay, yet it's labeled IPA, a DIPA at that. I get no hops. Certainly not what I would expect from an IPA.

It's lightly carbonated and heavier bodied. Being sweet, malty and heavy it wasn't very easy to drink. I bought this one as fresh as they come, the clerk indicating it had arrived at the store that very day.

JackieTH, Apr 26, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -30%

Bomber acquired in a trade..

- Dark copper amber color, somewhat clear, thin foam head.. white in color.. a slew of lacing....

- Smell is of the typical S. Tier malt profile which I can't say that I like much... and is a bit sweet and thick... bit of citrus and bitter hop.. some pine as well... great hop blend, but sweet...

- I hate to say it, but after a glass... I drain poured the bomber... my favorite style, and I just couldn't do this one, and thought the regular Unearthly was better... just a sweet caramel malt bomb with a bunch of different hop notes... not very well balanced at all...

- Sweet, dry... and chewy.. not a bad feel but the sweetness... sigh

- For me this wasn't drinkable at all, and I can't fore the life of me see why this is such a popular IIPA... way too sweet and rich... if I even tried to drink the bottle.. I would have puked...

Docer, Jul 21, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -30%

22oz bomber poured into a snifter.

A: Amber body with a not too vigorous head that leaves little lacing.

S: Between the hops and the wood, it smells pretty much exactly like a pine tree.

T: Pretty big disappointment. I can't really detect any vanilla or caramel from the wood or grassiness or citrus from the hops. It's almost as if the two cancel each other out. All that's left is generic bitterness. On the plus side, alcohol is hardly detectable.

M: Heavy and syrupy.

D: After being blown away by Great Divide 15th Anniversary and liking the original Unearthly, I was expecting big things from this beer. But this didn't do anything for me. Back to the drawing board, ST.

BarrelO, Oct 19, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -30%

Poured into a tulip. This one pours a deep copper color with about an inch of creamy white head. A little bit of thin lace is left behind.

The aroma has bit of a malty backbone to it with hints of vanilla and some citrus hops. A little more hops in the aroma would be nice but this is pleasant. The pallet has a mellow hop flavor with hints of caramel and vanilla in the background. Very soft citrus hop flavor.

A little heavy on the body and sticky. Soft carbonation on this. Overall this one is a bit of a letdown. The hops don't show up like I would want them to.

Bendurgin, Apr 17, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -29.2%

A: Looks-wise, this was fine. Copper color with a thin white head.

S: Here's where it started to go wrong for me. The label said IPA, but all I smelled was a ton of oak and a lot of sweet malts. No hops.

T: Again, no hops. Something tells me that I shouldn't have waited so long to drink this. It had been sitting in storage for about a month, which I didn't think was too long. The hops weren't faded though, they were completely nonexistent. The taste was almost more like a sweet chardonnay than a beer. I really want to try this fresh and see how much better it is.

notchucknorris, Apr 18, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -29.2%

22oz bottle that just hit the shelf today.

A- somewhat dark amber colored body under a lasting, sticky, finger of an off white colored head.

S- this one smells strongly in general. tons of hops, but lots of malt to back it up. pine and citrus hops are the most pronounced. the malt is all caramel smelling.

T- wow...brutal. very intense and in your face. sweet caramel malts seem weak against the massive amounts of hops in here. loads of citrus and pine. slightly fruity. the oak is barely noticeable, and produces an almost medicinal quality. the alcohol is very strong, and almost overpowering. not cool.

M- full bodied and almost syrupy. high level of carbonation makes it feel creamy. lots of warming form the booze.

D- ugh. this one started out so well, and then the wheels fell off this bus as soon as i tasted it. the alcohol is way too strong and the oak made that nasty medicinal taste that sort of reminded me of cough syrup. a good idea that turned a good beer into a train wreck. sorry southern tier, i just really didnt like this one.

jwinship83, Mar 29, 2009

Had on tap.

A- Pours a pale yellowish orange color. Two finger white head shows good retention...ends up capping the beer. Web style lacing on the sides of the glass as I drink this one down.

S- Taking a couple sniffs I at first picked up vanilla oak notes. Strong bready caramel malts show up as well long before any hops come through which I thought was weird. Earthy hops do come though next but long after when I thought they should have shown up. Alcohol come through in the very ending making a light burning in the nose itself.

T- Alcohol comes through in the front of the beer to start off with...although with the ABV it didn't surprise me. A light bitterness from hopping coming through next giving a light peppery note as well. The middle of the beer has the oak finally come through with hints of vanilla covering a bready caramel malt base body. Ending shows a little more of the malt in the front before the citrus hops show up in the form of oranges. Alcohol comes back around this time a lot more strong and a little medicinal like.

M- Medium heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Bitter hops, caramel malts, and light oak are left on the palate. Aftertaste is medicinal alcohol, light fruity hops, and syrupy caramel malts. Flavors didn't really blend together very well cause a big stop and go feel while drinking. No off flavors were present but the alcohol did kind of make it a annoyance. Heavy alcohol drying on the palate.

O- This beer didn't really do it for me. The aging of it in oak didn't help the overall flavor. I personally didn't like all the alcohol that crept up while I was drinking it. A syrupy sweet mess for most of the beer. Oh well...it always seem to be a hit or miss with me and Southern Tier.

alleykatking, May 09, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

Served in a 16 oz. Pilsener style glass (They were super busy and had no other glassware) at Rustico's in Alexandria, Va.

To tell the truth I didn't know this was the oak aged version until halfway through the beer. I saw the tap handle first and didn't read the tap list until later.

The head was thick, off white, and stuck around for awhile. The appearance was of an American Amber. The beer had a strong hop aroma dominated by citrusy grapfruit aromas backed up by strong notes of pine.

Oak Aged Unearthly had a strong malt presence to counteract the hops but they ended up clashing with one another rather than working together. The crisp hop bitterness never came through in the end. Any presence of oak was faint and struggled to make it's presence known through the syrupy malty mess of a mouthfeel.

The mouthfeel on this beer was a real dissapointment, in fact it ruined the beer. As soon as it warmed up it became syrupy and thick and a pain to drink. The thickness really brought out a cloyingly sweet taste. It ruined any chance of drinkability. Granted, 16 oz. of a beer this big is probably too much but then again my mouth waters at the thought of 16 oz. of Bell's Hopslam.

This was my first try of either version of Unearthly. Perhaps the unoaked version is better but I will be wary of trying it.

irishman646, Mar 11, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

Sampled from a standard pint glass. Purchased at Nikki's in N Providence, RI.

A - Starts very well. A beautiful golden color with great clarity and a moderate off white head. Great lacing.

S - Surprisingly nice aroma. Starts floral and fruity but then gets more complex with loads of oak and a fair amount of alcohol. More and more tropical fruits as it warms at the end.

T - Initially a balanced flavor of hop oils, alcohol and malt (although the malt plays a lesser role). But this beer wore me down and I enjoyed it less and less as it went on. I just think the oak is too much for the light malts and it seems to clash with the hops rather than enhance them.

M - Very smooth and creamy. The carbonation is there but it doesn't get in the way at all.

D - I like a strong DIPA or Imperial Stout that can make the strong flavors work but this one was too strong and oaky for me. It tastes more like liquor than beer.

GJ40, Apr 14, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -26.8%

The aromas are loaded with dank hop earthiness and woodiness from the oak aging. Defintely also some Citrus/pine and the alcohol notes finish out the smells.

The tastes are good, with apple brandy-like alcohol that is hot on the tongue right off the bat, but this one is too syprupy for me. I just can't enjoy a beer that tastes this thick. Cloyingly sweet in my opinion. Carbonation is undetectable and the body is too thick to enjoy the hop profile; sugary body sticks to the tongue. I'm also having a hard time enjoying the wood aging because of the extreme cloyingness of this one. ABV isn't tasted but understood because of the thickness in malt.

Overall, this one just doesn't come together for me. The oak is there, but not in a good way, and the thickness/syrup qualities, detract from the hops.

claspada, Oct 04, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -26.8%

A: Thin copper in color. About and inch or so of nice foamy head which dissipates relatively quickly, but does leave some lacing in the process.

S: Malt, piney hops, maybe a little bit of citrus, followed by boozy smell of bourbon.

T: oh god, what is this? Liquified wood? Sure there are some malts and hops there, but they appear to have been beaten into submission by the unique flavor of furniture. please, someone give me a chaser.

M: Full bodied. Syrupy and medicinal. There was decent carbonation when I first popped the bottle, but the CO2 appears to have made a run for it as soon as the opportunity presented itself. Leaves a funky sawdust residue on the tongue.

D: No. Never again. My 22oz bomber was way too much. The only reason I'm even giving it a couple points here is because the folks at ST decided to put a lot of alcohol in this beer.

Florida9, May 01, 2009

jjd315, Mar 07, 2014

ThatsThatDude, Jan 06, 2014

ygtbsm94, Jan 29, 2012

tfsimpkins, May 27, 2012

jkd03c, Jun 25, 2013

A - pours cloudy amber with a very fluffy head of tight bubbles. Good detention, not much lacing
S- a lot going on here. Fruity hops are followed by bigtime vanilla from the oak, and some banana. Heavy caramel malt background

T - well, I guess I don't like oak aged ipas. Initial hops hit is nice, but then the sweet vanilla and wood comes in leaving a bad aftertaste for me.

M - great chewy body with low to medium coronation...nice

D - hoppy sweet combo just killed it for me, also why I don't get along with barleywines. Probably a fine beer for the type, just not for me.

chilly460, Mar 09, 2011