Iniquity (Imperial Black Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Iniquity (Imperial Black Ale)Iniquity (Imperial Black Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Black Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-12-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Iniquity (Imperial Black Ale) Alström Bros

MsLiberty, Apr 20, 2013

hopsgirl36, Apr 16, 2012

BGsWo22, Mar 23, 2013

phishbone23, Jan 23, 2013
2.15/5  rDev -48.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass.
A: Dark beer, looks like a Porter or Stout. Very thin head with some decent lacing.
S: Smells almost like a porter ot light Stout. Very slight hint of coffee. Not much hop aroma.
T: I cant quite put my finger on it. It doesnt taste like an IPA or a Porter, Stout or Brown Ale. Not much hop flavor or roasted malt flavor.
M: On the lighter side. Not thick or chewy. Not much that sticks to your mouth.
D: I dont really enjoy this beer at all. I will probally never buy it again or order it at a bar. Overall I feel this beer is very bland. Not a single charecteristic shines on this beer.

dondeez21, Apr 13, 2009
2.2/5  rDev -46.9%

I'm not sure if I got an old bottle with all the hops having completely faded away or what... I'll re-review when i get another. But for now...

Appearance: Black, light tan head dissipates to a cap that sticks. Decent lacings hangs out.

Aroma: Rasin, sweet fig, faint cocao and coffee. Heavy malts backbone, no noticeable hops.

Taste: Fig dominates, along with a little molasses and rasin notes that come through. Hops is absent..and I'm really searching for it because it SHOULD be there.

Mouthfeel: A little on the heavy side (not a abd thing). Creamy, yet carbonated fairly.

Drinkability needs improvement. The unbalanced sweetness can be an obstacle. But a slice of sharp cheddar cheese cut the sweetness perfectly, so I recommend that pairing.

All in all, I'm not sure if I had an old bottle. I can't find any bottle date printed on the bottle anywhere. I've had it for about a month, but the hops shouldn't be completely gone... only not as strong maybe. I'll give it another try sometime as I love the black ale style. But for now, I was very dissapointed.

jbertsch, Mar 30, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -45.7%

wattoclone, Sep 12, 2012

CWhite, Jan 10, 2012

mwbrady12, Jul 29, 2013

clfrost, Oct 25, 2013

ctrevino, Mar 10, 2013
2.58/5  rDev -37.7%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

The beer pours a dark black, only very small hints of brown in direct light, with a little tan head that is less than half a finger. It does foam at all and is gone within 15 seconds. The beer is watery and has very little lacing. The color is very strange for an dipa.

The aroma gets you back on track to seeing this is an dipa. The main notes are light hops and you get a small amount of coffee.

The taste is very confusing to your senses. If you didn't know much about beer you might really enjoy this, but to me it breaks to many boundaries and blurs to many lines. There is some light hoppiness to the beer but the great bitter finish that makes me enjoy a dipa is replaced by a coffee stout finish. The mouthfeel is full bodied and lasting, and despite its weirdness is decently drinkable.

If you can just ignore what you know about beer this might be a beer for you. To me it isn't that excellent tasting to allow me to forget the faults and recommend it.

jrallen34, Nov 09, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -36.5%

Okay, here goes....

Serving from a 22 oz bomber.

Initial pour fills the glass with a dark, ruby beer with an offwhite/beige head. Head disappears quickly.

The color is interesting, I like the idea of a dark IPA, but there is not P(ale) here. That's the reason for the 1.0 on appearance. Had it been classified as an "experimental beer" and the criteria set as a "black IPA" I'd give it a 3.5 or 4 (it's not black, it's dark ruby).

The aroma is dominated by hops, resiny grapefruit. But there is a hint of roast in the aroma, so marks off for that.

The taste is wonderful. The combination of hops and roast malt is fantastic. There is an obvious duel between the malt and hops, and both battle for attention. But the roast flavors are not to style, so marks off for that. Again, had it been classified as an experimental Black IPA, I'd score it higher on taste.

Mouthfeel is slightyly syrupy, a little too much body for an IPA or Imperial IPA. An IPA or Double/Imperial IPA should not be filling.

For drinkability, this is an awesome freaking beer. I will buy it again. I will search this beer out on tap. This beer is all substance, but no points for style. Call this beer an Imperial India Porter Ale, and you'd be dead on.

JamnesCameron, May 24, 2009
2.64/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Maybe it's possible I got a bad bottle? There was something a little off with the smell. And then at the initial taste, this quite off-putting heavy alcohol aroma hits. Completely ruins this otherwise-good beer for me. But again, with people praising this beer and rating it so highly, I'll have to try it again and adjust my review. But until then I have to rate it poorly.

ski271, Feb 26, 2014
2.68/5  rDev -35.3%

Appearance: Almost pitch black with a couple fingers of light caramel colored head. Lacing is fine and pretty decent.

Smell: Roasted dark malts form the base of this beer, that is for sure. I also get a lot of strong fruity aromas. Makes for a weird combination, in my opinion.

Taste: Dark malts form the backbone, and a lot of fruity flavors and floral hops provide the rest of the flavor. I've tried a couple examples of this style, and this beer stands out as coming close to being a complete mess of fruity and roasted flavors. They just don't combine well for this beer.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: A nice medium-to-full mouthfeel, clings to the palate a bit. With all of the strong, conflicting flavors in this beer, the alcohol is easily hidden. This is an interesting style to say the least. Others have rated this beer very highly, so if you're looking to try a Black IPA I would certainly pick it up and give it a try. This beer just isn't for me.

zhanson88, Oct 27, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -35.3%

Poured from tap at the brewery 8 28 09 into a clean, clear glass. Review from notes

A Dark, dark body under a brief off white head. Nice, interesting look consistent with the name and the style. 4.0

S Hops and little malt to the nose. This is not my favorite smell but it carries a little more interest than a hopped up DIPA. 3.5

T Hops dominate but there is some dark malt sweetness buried deeply behind the hops. I don't appreciate how prominent the hops are and I wonder what the malt might taste like (it is eclipsed by the hops). 2.5

M Big with bitter hops and alcohol that is not real well hidden. 2.5

D Not good drinkability due to the huge size, not well hidden alcohol and that annoying hops. 2.0

Notes: I want to be positive but this beer was nearly ruined by the hop presence.

adamette, Sep 03, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Black color with tan head.

Aromas of roasted malts, light coffee/ cocoa.

The flavor was like the aroma - roasted malts on the front - like a porter, but the hoppy flavor that followed was kind of bitter and sour in a very distracting and detracting way.

I have had other black IPA type beers that were much better balanced - either in favor of malt or hop, but this one had an pleasant hop character.

medium-full body with a bitter/ sour finish. Bummer.

dedrinker, Nov 20, 2010
2.81/5  rDev -32.1%

650ml bottle served in tulip glass

Pours as dark as the night. Good small head with strong lacing.

Smells of strong thin alcohol - reminds me of vodka mixed with roasted malt

Thin mouth feel. Bitter but no astringency. Slight chocolate, coffee hints. Doesn't feel like there us much depth. Thin mouth feel and vodka aroma shine through more than any complicated deep flavours.

Not bad but not great... Disappointing

Kenee, May 30, 2014
2.83/5  rDev -31.6%

Split a bomber with a fellow BA. Poured into a Brooklyn snifter.

Pour produced a full 2 fingers of cappucino colored head. Rention is fair, but lacing is solid. Color is very deep brown, almost black, almost completely opaque. When held up to light some deep mahogany highlights make an appearance.

Smell is smoky roasted malts with a faint touch of resin. The smoke notes dominate to point that this smells like a rauchbier.

Taste is similar to the smell, but not as dominated by smoke. Very good balance between sweet, bitter and all other flavors, but nothing stands out which is a shame. This beer does not have a distinct character.

Mouthfeel is fairly light for the ABV, with fairly low carbonation. Eh.

Overall, this is an Ok beer. To me there is not enough character of any type. This was bottled on 10/4/11, so freshness is not an issue. I had a bottle about a year ago that was well past its prime, which was dominated by sweetness. The fresh version was dominated by anything.

Disappointed. I expected more.

nitro0292, Nov 12, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -31.2%

A: Very dark mahogany brown, but still somewhat translucent. Pours with about a 1/2" of tannish head that has little retention and absolutely no lacing.

S: Caramel malt. Floral or citrus hops. A sweet scent.

T: Sweet. Too sweet. Caramel malt. There is a roasted flavor, but it is subdued and there is a citrus hop flavor and it is also subdued. There is a sweet flavor. It is not subdued. A mild bitterness on the finish.

M: Medium body with low carbonation. Along with the sweetness it becomes cloying.

D: This beer is not a DIPA. If I were to review it as a DIPA, it would be an F. Aside from that, I found it difficult to drink. Annoyingly sweet with little else going for other than contrast between the roasted malts and some hops. Only saving grace is its 9% abv.

Florida9, Apr 02, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -30%

Had this on tap at Sunset Grill. Came served in a tulip glass with virtually no head. What was there vanished in moments. No cap and no lacing.... The beer was virtually black. Totally opaque.

Virtually no aroma. A touch of alcohol and a phenolic/plastic smell.

Well, this is a balanced beer. Big malt backbone and also strong hop bitterness. Not fresh hop flavors, but strong bitterness. Again some phenolic flavors. Lots of roasted malt flavors. Pretty sweet.

Fairly thick bodied. Light carbonation.

I wasn't a really big fan and therefore I did not find this extremely drinkable.

Not sure I'll seek this one out again.

Reagan1984, May 25, 2009

campfirebrew, Jan 10, 2013

MVP09, Nov 05, 2013

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a very deep brown with auburn/ruby red hues, huge khaki colored head which fades and leaves nice lacing and retention. The aromas are full of chocolate malts. I can pick up a touch of pine. Very subtle, the hops are barely noticeable in the aromas. I can also pick up a touch of black coffee. The flavors are warm and bitter. The heat from the alcohol is very noticeable, which takes away from the flavors. It has somewhat of a mineral taste as well, almost metallic. Very grainy. There are some fruits noiceable, I'm picking up some orange peel. The hops are clearly dominated by the malts, but it still has a subtle bite. Similar to a chocolate orange, if you can imagine. The mouthfeel is nice, spritzy, but smooth. It's on the lighter side of full-bodied. The alcohol is present, pretty boozy. It's one of those "soapy" beers.

It's been a few years since I've had this one. I remembered enjoying it much more, but this isn't as complex as alot of the big "Black IPAs" coming out these days. Decent big beer, but one note and boring. It's not exactly worth the price of admission, in my opinion.

BB1313, Sep 18, 2012