Mokah - Southern Tier Brewing Company

MokahMokah

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DrinkinBuddy on 04-20-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mokah Alström Bros

mykd, Jul 19, 2012

Tigergalmd, Feb 05, 2012

despond, Nov 20, 2011

Meztre, Jul 25, 2014

beerman999999, Nov 16, 2011

Okay, so let me go ahead and review this beer without trying to overstate how great it is. I know that in my early beer reviewing career, I've steered more toward craft brews and haven't exactly challenged my tastes with crummy beers that I'd have to really criticize too majorly, but that being said - I can't help but heap unfathomable amounts of praise on this beer. My first thought was "well, this is no Peche Mortel," but as I smelled it, drank it, experienced it - I thought "well, maybe this is the only stout I've had that's BETTER than Peche Mortel!" I've conducted an experiment to try to say negative things about a positively amazing beer. Below is my failure:

A: Dark but with a surprisingly light (eggshell off-white) head that has beautiful non-sticky (beautifully trickly) lacing. Can't find anything that isn't exceptional about the appearance of this beer.

S: Chocolate milk. And I don't mean some crummy store-bought chocolate milk, I'm talking mixed-it-yourself, after school snack chocolate milk. It's amazing how strong the smell of chocolate and lactose is, and how goddamn pleasant that smell is. How do you do it, Southern Tier?

T: Questions of whether Southern Tier isn't just adding booze to childhood favorites continue to swirl around my head. One might expect this to taste like a combination of Southern Tier's Jahva and Choklat, and you'd be right, except for the fact that you left out the lactose sweetness from their Oat, that rounds the whole beverage up and makes it unbelievably tasty. You know everything you enjoy about Dieu du Ciel's Peche Mortel? Well, this is a more drinkable version of that beer, that has more alcohol with less alcohol burn than that beer. How do they do it? I have no idea. This tastes like the best mocha iced coffee you've ever drank, and it's really a sin that this is only available as an 11% ABV beer and not something you can drink in the car on the way to work to wake you up. Wow wow wow wow wow. The first beer only available in bombers that I've considered buying a case of.

M: Creamy, with some coffee bean bitterness. Perfect. Have I mentioned that this beer is creamy? Is this even beer at this point?

D: This would be an absoultely perfect dessert in lieu of cake or ice cream. Frankly, if I could go back in time, I would have had this served at every birthday party I ever had.

The perfect dessert beer. Seek it out. Please. If Southern Tier stops making this becuase it gets overshadowed by Choklat, Jahva, and Oat; I'm coming after all of you.

mfunk9786, Jun 03, 2010