Mokah - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: DrinkinBuddy on 04-20-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mokah Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,133 | Reviews: 724
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Quite the good-looking stout, with ample froth forming a tan head, which doesn't stick around long, but at 11%, it wouldn't. Liquid is insanely dark brown, just a shade under pure midnight black.

Not unexpected, the aroma is balanced between dark chocolate and coffee, with a sweetness appropriately reminding of cream. And when I say "balanced" I mean it--the chocolate and coffee strike a perfect chord together.

Am I dreaming or am I drinking Southern Tier's absolute best beers lately? Last night it was Oak Aged Unearthly, plus a shared bottle of Jahva with Dr. Snorkapotamus, and tonight it's Mokah. And wowza, this is freaking fantastic. After letting it slide over my tongue and down my throat a few times, it seems the aroma was merely hinting at what was to come. These flavors have all kinds of depth and they're mingled incredibly well. Huge gooey chocolate meshes with coffee that isn't all that bitter or burnt, just perfect is all, with some big ol' graham cracker elbowing in and sweet vanilla-flavored coffee creamer too. Alcohol provides a lightly spicy, nicely warming flair, certainly not timid but not at all out of whack. Tremendous! Can I give it a 5.5 for Taste?

Mouthfeel is appropriately luxurious, a silky, creamy thing that is just carbonated enough to deliver some life to the body. A little more bubbled than expected, actually, but it's all kept in check and eventually the texture totally won me over.

Being a huge fan of Jahva, I was looking greatly forward to this. Still can't find Choklat in this area, but if this is the meeting point of the two aforementioned (as stated on the label), then I guess I'm halfway there. As expected, Mokah is completely, utterly wonderful.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle
Served in a snifter

A - It pours black with an inch of mocha head.

S - I get milk chocolate right off the bat. Once I stick my nose in there I get a rich coffee smell.

T - I get milk chocolate up front. It finishes with the coffee. It reminds me of a riesen candy. Very rich and full flavors.

M - Thick and creamy.

O - I love this beer and I love the entire Black Water series. It is delicious and I always want more.

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is a fantastic stout. Smells like chocolate. Tastes like that and coffee. Smooth and creamy as heck. Great beer.

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wow. I should stop there. This is just amazing. I'm having it as a huge dessert to a big dinner. I'm feeling stuffed but I love this.

It is black with lacing. It smells chocolaty. It tastes bitter, sweet, chocolaty, with just a tiny bit of hoppy and malty. But all those tastes are dominated by the bitter and chocolate tastes. It's not a traditional tasting one but it's excellent.

I highly recommend this as a dessert beer. I hope I make it through two big glasses in my . 4 sized growler.

4.69/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours quite dark with hints of rusted mahogany. Tan head thins rather quickly. Delcious nose has rich fudge, coffee, fruity malts, bitter molasses and subtle hops. Taste is also powered by the chocolate but perfectly balanced by the bitter coffee flavors and black molasses. More big malts, a tinge of booze and quiet hops through the finish. Thick, creamy body, but the carbonation was a bit rough. This 22oz bottle drank way too easy for 11%.

4.69/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from the 22 oz. bomber that I bought at Rozi's Wine house in Lakewood, Ohio (interesting that the brewery is in Lakewood, NY!) a few weeks ago into my Brewery Ommegang gold rimmed goblet (in the shape of a Westvleteren goblet).

A Absolutely opaque black body lets no light through under a medium brown head. Delicious looking. 4.0

S Dark roast malt, chocolate, maybe some coffee. This smell is great and reminds me of the Choklat but it is less "chocolate milk" sweet that that was to the nose. It cannot be improved. 5.0

T Wow, an explosion of dark roast malt, chocolate and coffee which again is very close to Choklat (which I really enjoyed by the way) only a bit more dark roast which I really like. This is great beer advocacy experience. The brewer has taken a beer that I really like (Choklat) and actually improved it. 5.0

M This is a big beer for sure. Big dark malt, big chocolate, big coffee. Despite that it actually achieves a nice smoothness and it "goes down" very easily. 4.5

D Well I finished the bomber without much hesitation. This is such a delicious beer that it makes a style that normally would not be THAT drinkable (Stout) into a good, drinkable brew. 4.0

Notes: Bravo!

4.68/5  rDev +11.2%

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter. Big thanks to Rhong187 for this one. My first Southern Tier brew so we'll see how it turns out!

A: Pours a midnight black with a thin light brown head.

S: I'm picking up quite a few different smells with this one. Hints of bitter cacao, milk chocolate, coffee, and even a tad of licorice.

T: WOW! This is a very delicious beer! Chocolate definitely dominates this beer. On the aftertaste you detect the bitter cacao and coffee notes. A very sweet tasting beer!

M: Very thick, almost chewy! It has a good amount of carbonation to it as well.

O: Overall this is a very great beer! I'm very pleased with my first Southern Tier offering! I wish I had another one to age to see what type of changes it would undergo over time. Worth trying if you have the chance!

4.68/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Damn. I'm speechless. If I could have brewed the beer of my dreams, this would be it. The only drawback I could perceive was a weak head.

I think a true beer geek might scoff at my praise, here, that this is the Disney Land of big beers, the stuff of childhood fantasy. True, the chocolate and sweetness might please a seven-year-old. But I would say the hop bitterness in the finish is serious enough to establish this beer as a serious adult pleasure.

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

On tap at the brewery. Served in a goblet.

Pours jet black with half finger of light tan head that laces nicely on the way down.

Nice nose of rich chocolate, roast coffee, burnt sugars & caramel. Very nice.

Wow! Even the outstanding smell didn't prepare me for this superb blend. The coffee comes through fresh from the tap in a way it never has in bottles for me. It's followed by that rich chocolate flavor that Southern Tier does better than anyone else. Aside from that there is molasses, subtle fig/date, vanilla and a hint if bitter hopping. So many outstanding layers that almost completely mask the 10+% abv.

Creamy smooth medium thick feel with appropriately subtle carbonation.

Outstanding! Mokah rivals Creme Brulee as my favorite of the Blackwater series. Fresh on tap I can really catch the near perfect mixture of Jahva and Choklat. Delicious and worth a try. It also ages well so don't shy away from any old bottles you may run across.

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

Wow! I was expecting over-the-top chocolate in a too-alcoholic imperial stout. Boy was I wrong! This stout definitely packs a wallop at 11%, but it does not overwhelm. Nor does the chocolate. The flavor is upfront and definitely present, but it is still extremely drinkable. Save this one as a stand-alone or as a dessert complement.

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

Served room temperature. Had the color of a dark chocolate bar and moved around in my glass with the fluidity of a chocolate liqueur. Little to no head when it was brought to my table, which was disappointing, but seemed to go along with the body.

Smell was amazing, mocha of course (or mokah). The mokah-ness wasn't overpowering however, as I can still get whiffs of roasted barley on its canvas. The sweetness was distinctly beer sweetness, not just the product of a bunch of sugar being added to sweeten it up. This same sweetness would translate into the taste. Amazing mouthfeel in the body, however I took into consideration the lack of head and how that effected the feel.

This is a great beer. A lot of chocolate imperial stouts tend to overdue it with the chocolate or the sweetness, or just the alcohol in general. Mokah, however, is an organic balance of all three, and much more.

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a glass tallboy into a beer mug.

Appearance: Beer is black...even while pouring, it's pretty much opaque. Head is creamy and tan with great retention; after several minutes, there's still a significant layer of foam on the surface, dotted sparsely with tiny bubbles.

Smell: Dark chocolate and sweet chocolate right up front. Some freshly ground espresso bean flavor, and then a caramel drizzle in the background. Only the faintest of alcohol tones. Beautiful, couldn't get any better.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Beer goes in thickly, and remains thick on the tongue. The alcohol pierces through a rich, complex malt layer to sting the tongue with love. As the beer is swirled across the palate, the chocolate really pushes itself to the forefront, and a French-blend coffee vibe is left on the way out. Beer finishes super wet (or maybe it's my mouth salivating). Creamy, bittersweet, but just a touch more sourness than would make it perfect.

Overall: I love this beer. Southern Tier are master beer alchemists!

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

Great info on the bottle, lists abv 11.2%, malts, Jamaican coffee, Belgian Chocolate, Columbus and Chinook hops, and even gives storage and serving temperature and glassware suggestions. Even has a date stamp in tiny tiny print.
There are 3 incorrect words that make my heart skip a hopeful beat "Ale in TX"

Appearance: Black glass shows thick deep brown edges that show off a bit of clarity. Holds a thin cover of tan foam that collars the glass. Starts to lace but falls off toward the end and drops it's cover, forgivable given the high abv.

Smell: Wow! Hershey's chocolate syrup. Hard to get past the chocolate milk character, and I'm not sure I want to. There is a faint edge of roasted barley that keeps it from seeming sweet.

Taste: Another wow! Same serious chocolate note as the nose, but gains a bit more complexity. Hints of coffee, the roasted barley stout flavor makes small inroads, a caramel ribbon, bits of citric candied orange hops, and just a whiff of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Heavy and thick, but smooth as silk. Coats the palate and lingers. Carbonation is low but gives a few signs of life.

Overall: Knocked my socks off; they are across the room in tatters. Amazing chocolate nose, full yet easy taste, silky smooth texture, slowly warming alcohol kick; just great stuff.
Big thanks to Illudium for the sample, now lets get this into Texas ASAP.

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This was a 22 oz bottle poured into a tulip.

This beer pours dark and has a small head with low retention. It smells sweet and chocolately with a tad of booze. It tastes like roasted malts and then sweet and chocolate followed by the coffee and then lastly a bite of the booze. It has a big body and low carbonation. Great dessert beer. I love this and highly recommend.

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

One of the biggest beers ST makes and I got a growler at Smokin Joes in the south side for 21.25! Score!

A - The beer is pitch black and viscous yet thin. From the tap the foam was just leaping from the growler onto the floor and I wined a bit for spilled beer. Capped and now opened carbonation is still high, very surprising for 11 percent and formed an inch of head.

S - I can clearly state espresso and bakers chocolate on the nose and a slight vanilla. Malts are strong scented.

T - Almost overbearing at first! Maybe because I just got it home and didn't refrigerate it for at least an hour but alcohol is semi detectable, almost muted, along with a strong taste of coffee and vanilla, chocolate, and a nice bitter coffee finish.

M - Surprisingly medium. Loved the harsh bitterness from the coffee malts that muted the ABV. Yum

D - I may or may not like Javha more. It's hard to say. This one had way more chocolate and coffee blast, yet the Javha had more subtle vanilla and coffee like drinking an espresso. I am still glad I bought a growler fill since it is tasty!

It's really had to compare the two but I really loved this beer anyway and was glad to try it. I love every big beer produced by Southern Tier and I hope they keep making them for years to come!

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

What a stellar stout. Jet black, impervious to the penetration of any light source, this is as thick and heavy on the tongue as it is in the snifter. Your first impression by sight is quickly trumped by the overwhelming assault on your sense of smell, and your palate. This is one SMOOTH beer. I have to say, this is for sharing. At 11%, it's strong enough in both ABV and taste to warrant a second person being involved. Not so sure I could crush one of these on my own, and enjoy it as much at the end as in the beginning. If you're into stouts, this is a must try.

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

Got this in a trade with skinnyguy. Thanks Dan!

Poured this into my Stone Imperial Stout glass. Black with a half inch brown head. Head clung to the sides for a bit but died down, leaving a bit of lacing.

Aroma of chocolate, coffee, English toffee, peanut butter. Smells more like a gourmet chocolate bar than beer.

Taste of roasted malts, chocolate, and toffee. Dark chocolate bitterness at the end. A little warmth coming from the alcohol at the end.

Full bodied with little carbonation, giving it a chewy texture. Leaves that classic roasted/dark chocolate flavor in your mouth after each drink.

Damn good overall. My girlfriend loved it and she doesn't really like stouts. We agreed that it was pretty smooth in flavor but I think what got her was the slightly sweeter flavor of the chocolate. I'd love to have another bottle of this stuff.

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

This is very much not my type of beer, but I'm reviewing it anyway -- and favorably, because it succeeds in what it sets out to do even though I don't care for it.

It pours a brilliantly dark (if you know what I mean) chocolate brown, almost black, with a light head and nice lacing. The aroma is filled with chocolate and coffee.

The taste is incredibly sweet and chocolatey, to the point that you can't taste the high ABV. Mouthfeel is thick almost to the point of chewiness. There's another load of chocolate in the finish.

I don't like it and I will never ever buy it again for myself; Founder's Breakfast Stout is just about my limit in the chocolate-and-coffee-flavored beer department. But hoo boy, if you want a deeply chocolatey mocha beer, this one fills the bill, and it's very well crafted. If that's your thing, you'll like this one.

4.64/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

I have been looking so forward to this beer coming back. I had it once on tap years ago, bought the bottles for another year or so thereafter and then found that it was replaced by other beers in the Blackwater Series. This is the first time I am drinking it since the re-release and it tastes, smells and looks exactly the same as it did 7 - 8 years ago, or however long ago that was.

4/8/2014 bottle date

Appearance: This beer absorbs almost all of the light that hits it. It is dark brown and opaque. The carbonation is not visible. The light brown head dissipates, but leaves some lacing and a thin rim around the edge of the glass.

Smell: The usual coffee and chocolate notes, but something more tantalizing . The coffee is secondary. The chocolate is pronounced. Extra sweet milk chocolate. Not overpowering. What hits the nose hardest is a unique note that reminds me of marshmallow and the scent of a freshly sliced vanilla bean. It's powdery. Rose water?

Taste: The taste follows the nose with notes of milk chocolate, coffee and vanilla. Initially, this beer is sweet. Not cloying and well balanced. There are two distinct acts to this beer. The sweet front is followed by a wave of bitter notes including dark chocolate and a more dry finish with a fair amount of hop oils on the palate.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation. Round.

Overall: This beer has the best of both worlds in that it opens with strong sweet notes of milk chocolate and vanilla, but finishes with bitter notes of dark chocolate. The hops leave a slight tingle on the tongue; a remarkable feat for this sweet style of beer. Oh, and 10% ABV? After drinking this bottle for an hour with the beer approaching room temperate there is not a single hint of booze noticeable on the nose of tongue. Extremely pleasant and drinkable.

4.64/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured a nice black into a pint glass. Gave about 2 fingers of head but left very little lacing. The smell is fantastic. The only thing I picked up was chocolate with a little coffee picking up the rear. The taste was equally amazing. I actually felt like I was drinking chocolate milk mixed with a nice dose of coffee at times. Not a bad thing in my book. Its actually what I was really hoping for with this beer. Mouthfeel was great. Silky smooth on the tounge with a very nice aftertaste. Drinkablility was good. I definitely would never have guessed its 11% but its just a little too sweet to make a session beer. Loved this beer and would recommend it to all!

4.61/5  rDev +9.5%

Thanks to koopa for this one, cheers Dennis!

Pours an effervescent mahogany with 2 fingers of, well mocha colored head. Above average lacing & a trace of head retention

S: Cream, cocoa & coffee, plus grinds, fades a bit a the end, pus a touch of booze

T: Roasty malt, cocoa, chicory, along with dryness & dark chcolate up front. As this warms, I get juicy, singed grain, coffee grinds & dark chocolate, plus a touch of iron & booze. Finishes warming, choclately, with juicy grain, charred grain & vanilla & toffee

MF: Smooth, semi-chewy, skews sweet, but is working for me

Drinks a touch slow between the ABV & heft. I am loving this for what it is, not for everyone I'm sure, but in my wheelhouse! Maybe my ultimate dessert/breakfast beer??? Nah, but close

4.61/5  rDev +9.5%

A - Dark brown with healthy head, tan in color. No frothy residue left on the glass.

S: Chocolate. Oh the chocolate. This is the best-smelling chocolate beer I've encoutnered thus far. To steal a phrase from promark420, who has not reviewed this beer, it smells like a chocolate donut.

T: Mostly dark chocolate, a hint of coffee. It's pretty dominantly chocolate in taste, though.

M: Smooth and creamy.

D: This is a deceptive 11-percenter. It felt like it wasn't that strong while drinking it. I recommend sharing this beer with someone else because of how strong it is. Pair it with a dessert, or drink it as a dessert. I had mine with a hazelnut gelato, and it was a perfect combination.

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into a snifter glass.

Appearance: Very dark brown that is almost black. Moderate amount of bubbles. Decent one finger tan head quickly fades into a thin patchy layer. Very little lacing.

Smell: A big aroma of chocolate, both milk chocolate and dark chocolate. A fair amount of coffee blends in with some dark roasted malts, caramel, vanilla, and sugar. Light hint of hops. Chocolate dominates here.

Taste: Sweet dark and milk chocolate up front followed by a good kick of coffee. The coffee is more noticeable in the taste than the nose. A good mix of caramel, vanilla, and sugar follows with a very light bitterness from hops. Coffee flavor lingers in the finish. Sweet but fairly balanced.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body with a low to medium carbonation. Creamy and very smooth. Can't feel the booze at all.

Overall: Another great stout from Southern Tier's Blackwater series. Complex and tasty.

4.59/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

very rich and better than expected, had on tap at Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati this past weekend, recommend trying if you like chocolate + coffee, both flavors represented well in this offering.

4.59/5  rDev +9%

From 22 oz. bomber poured into big snifter glass:

Pitch black in appearance, with frothy tan head, about a finger thick, slowly dissipating to half-inch. Thin, bubbly lacing on the glass. Good retention.

Powerful nose of dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, and some cream/vanilla. Aromas pack a punch. They are there upfront big time.

Notes of chocolate, coffee and chewy caramel dominate the tongue. Lower level of carbonation, overall a nice medium body. This is a smooth, creamy and easy drinking Imperial Stout, with a well-hidden high ABV. Goes well with dessert or after.

Recommended.