Mokah - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: DrinkinBuddy on 04-20-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mokah Alström Bros
Reviews: 714 | Hads: 2,155
3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

After tasting the Southern Tier Creme Brulee on draft at a local establishment here in my city of Columbus, Ohio, I decided that more Southern Tier should follow. Touted as a merging of Southern Tier's Jahva and Choklat, I picked up a 22 oz bottle of Mokah Imperial Stout from Southern Tier's Blackwater Series at a Michigan specialty store along with 25 oz of Dogfish Head Theobroma. The Mokah is first up carrying an 11% ABV.

As I poured into a pint glass, the head failed to form, so I increased the aggressiveness of the pour. In the end, the head climbed with big loose bubbles and receded very quickly. I'm staring here at a very dark and seemingly thick beer that appears flat with just a hint of lacing. We'll see how it hangs as it goes down.

The sniffage is about what I expected...very sweet with very little hops, but this is supposed to be an explosion of chocolate and coffee, not rival the bitter IPAs. It smells like a mudslide. Hopefully my love of chocolate and beer merge in the taste.

The first sip hit my palate with sweetness, which faded into the roast of the malt. The bitterness I tasted was only associated with the coffee and roast. I tasted very little coffee up front, but when the aftertaste settled in, it was pure coffee.

I am not sure whether intended the viscosity of this brew to be as thin as it is, but it did hold onto a bit of carbonation. It's not flat, but the carbonation is lame enough to let me experience the chocolate in a smooth fashion. No lacing has stuck to the glass this far, reaffirming the thinness of the beer.

Similar to the Creme Brulee, this is a 22 oz and done beer for me. It is so sweet and rich that it's good as a dessert beverage, but a night of drinking the Mokah would be a bit much for me. Plus, at 11% ABV this is a sipper, but that's OK since there is enough alcohol to feel the effects of a slowly nursed beer. Overall this was an after dinner treat that I would love to try on draft. I can't wait to pull more Southern Tier off the shelf. (2,015 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bomber poured into a stone snifter.

Bottled 4/04/14 - WAKE UP BA THIS IS NOT RETIRED!!!

Pours like a heavy milk stout. Smells like the Choklat with coffee flavor added. Smells good, but again it has the fake flavoring which makes it kind of nasty. There is no need to use real coffee beans and then add flavoring as well. Get a grip. (336 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

A very dark body that is black at its core and dark brown with just a bit of light passing through at the edges. A tan head has ok retention, but does not leave any lacing on my glass at all.

The smell has a lot of thing going on, but first and foremost is chocolate. Bitter dark chocolate, hot cocoa, loads of it. Coffee is also noticeable in there, with an aroma of whole coffee beans.

There are layers upon layers of flavor in this one. Once again, the first thing I notice is chocolate in the same forms as the nose, dark chocolate, cocoa, maybe even a bit of milk cocolate. A bit of vanilla and after that a very muted hop bitterness that is practically buried underneath all the other flavors, hiding somewhere down there with a touch of caramel. Next comes the coffee, which tastes like a fresh brewed cup and makes the finish dry and bitter. A bit of alcohol toward the end also.

The body is surprisingly light for the style; it isn't a huge, viscous stout. Moderate carbonation also.

This beer certainly is interesting, and the chocolate and coffee flavors are done really well, but I found even a bomber was a bit hard to drink because it is so sweet. (1,165 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

A- pitch black, 1" tan head
S- Smells like a chocolate malt shake. Smell is dominated by a hersheys syrup type smell. Really cant detect much besides a hint of coffee and a ton of fudgey sweet chocolate
T- Chocolate malt in beer form. Coffee is somewhat subtle. Chocolate is not the typical bittersweet chocolate taste found in beers, but more of a sweet hersheys milk chocolate taste. Chocolate is rather cloying but unique.
M- Carbonation is so-so. No lacing to speak of
D- By the end the chocolate is completely overpowering. Alcohol isn't very strong or easily detected but I don't think I can handle another chocolate malt milk shake right now.
Overall, A super sweet chocolatey stout. Not necessarily for me, but something new and different. Was very good, but for a bomber it was pretty cloying sweetness by the end. Good in moderation, but can be somewhat overpowering. (877 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks Dim

It poured rather well into a snifter and produced a finger worth of tan head that went away rather quickly and nothing was left behind . The body was a black in color but it did really miss the lace on top of the glass. I thought this smelled wonderful, these guys do get the aromas' of there brews right. Big old chocolate and coffee it did smell like a Starbucks mochachino. The flavor was a bit sweet for me. though they should have bittered it up a bit. The brew bordered on being to sweet sometimes but the flavor was dead on for a mocha drink. It was medium feeling in my mouth but it did need a tad more carbonation
I finished the bottle myself but wished for someone to split it with half was thru one glass was enough in one sitting. A interesting brew I may buy another to share as a desert (814 characters)

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into my Duvel tulip

Appearance: Pours dark, dark brown, with a finger and a half of tan head that subsides fairly quickly to a thin layer. Blankets of lacing along the sides of the glass.

Smell: Well, alcohol and chocolate. Not really getting much of a coffee note.

Taste: Wow, this is sweet. Lots of intense chocolate flavors, and the chocolate lingers on the tongue for quite awhile. There's a slight hoppy bitterness there as well, but it's necessary to offset the sweetness. I'm not really getting much coffee flavor at all. Almost seems like there's some oak in there as well, but I could just be confusing that with the hops. Not as sweet as Choklat, but almost there. As it warmed, I got a little bit of a coffee bitterness, but very little coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly thick and creamy, but prickly carbonation - almost a little bit too much. Almost.

Drinkability: Definitely a sipper, because it's so sweet, rich, and thick. I really didn't get any coffee flavor out of this - to me, this tasted like a watered-down version of Choklat, but just a rich and sweet (if that makes sense). It's definitely best to split the bomber - almost impossible to finish one of these by yourself. (1,230 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into an oversized snifter glass. I had cellared this for about a year, and am eager to see how it turns out.

Pours a deep, dark brown, with glints of ruby when swirled in the light. A thin, brown wisp of head forms a swirl in the center.

Smells of deep dark chocolate, with roasted coffee, honey, alcohol, and a hint of peppermint. More than anything else, it smells sweet.

Tastes much more coffee -- bitter coffee -- than it smells. The bitter definitely tempers the sweet of the smell. Honey sweet, baker's chocolate, and raosted coffee round this out. Almost more of an appertif than a beer, this beer is full of flavor. It is tough to drink even one glass of it, though, as the flavor gets to be too intense.

Smooth and syrupy, the bitterness nips at the end of the tongue. The alcohol burns the tongue a little and certainly warms the belly.

Overall, a nice sipping dessert beer. I recently had the Choklat, and must admit to liking that one much more than this. I'll have to grab another bottle of it and review it sometime! (1,064 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

22oz bottle into 25oz snifter.
A: Pours near black with a finger of dense dark tan head that faded into a thin collar that left almost no lacing down the glass.
S: Very sweet smelling actually with notes of coffee with sugar, chocolate frosting and heavy creamer. I get what smells like cinnamon as well.
T: Bigger coffee presence to the flavor than the smell, with rich and lightly bitter notes of dark roasted coffee, bitter-sweet dark chocolate, cinnamon, roasted coconut and raisins. This is definitely mocha-like, and very potent. The finish has a touch of bitterness and a bit of alcohol, and the aftertaste lingers on my palate long after the swallow.
M: Thick body with tingly carbonation. This bottle actually has pretty sharp amount of alcohol and acidic coffee bite to it though despite being over a year old. The mouthfeel is a bit rough around the edges.
O: The flavors in this are very dark and bold, and were definitely an assault to my senses. A good balance of coffee and chocolate, but a bit hard to drink overall. (1,037 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

A 22 ounce bomber bottle shared with psycohops. Poured into a pair of shaker glasses. Mokah appears a deep dark brown color with about an inch of fluffy ecru foam. Not really getting much coffee notes here. Mostly that sweet tootsie roll smell and flavor that is so very prevalent in Choklat. Milk chocolate, and sweet caramel dominate the flavor and aroma. Medium to full bodied with adequate carbonation. Not too shabby, but I was all smiles when my glass was empty so I could move on to something else. (505 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -11.1%

Tried this at the ACBF and thought it was great. Picked up a bottle at Capone's and thought I'd give it a real try and a review.

Appearance- Pours a pretty pitch shade of black with a very small amount of patchy brown head. Nothing to write home about, but not particularly bad looking either.

Smell- Lots of bitter coffee up front followed closely in second by dark chocolate. Smells like a bar of dark chocolate infused with espresso beans-not particularly surprising either given the blend of this beer! A very appetizing combination that reminded me very much of what I remembered about the flavor profile from the festival.

Taste- Not gonna lie, a bit of a letdown from my first impressions. Bitter coffee flavors overpower much of the dark chocolate that was present in the nose, leaving it only as a afterthought for me as the beer goes down the hatch along with some biting alcohol aftertaste. A much harsher and one sided blend of the two main flavors than I initially remembered from the festival. Is it possible that this would vary bottle to bottle or that this was a different batch? Not terrible by any means, but ended up tasting more like a weakened Jahva rather than the smoother mixture that I remembered.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is pretty solid on this beer and it is thick and chewy, though quite sticky. Very much a dessert mouthfeel. Drinkability was not great for me as I found the flavor mixtures too harsh to drink a lot of this, along with the fact that it is a heavy, sweet, dessert beer. Glad my lady friend was around to split the bomber with.

Overall, not bad but a letdown from my first experience with the beer. Found this to come across as a fairly harsh blend the second time through and would prefer to have either the Jahva or the Choklat instead on its own as a result. (1,823 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Some people think these imperial stouts from Southern Tier are just too much. Me? I can't get enough of 'em!

Pours a deep brown (not black) into my Duvel tulip. As the loose, tan head forms, the chocolate aromas are already hitting my nose. A closer nasal inspection yields equal parts chocolate, nutty coffee, and boozy alcohol. Yep, the perils of an 11% stout. By now, the head is down to a full cap of foam and going no lower.

The flavor yields more of the massive chocolate and coffee, but it's the latter that takes the forefront. A bit of a bready base beer comes through as well and is a welcome taste. The alcohol isn't nearly as prevalent though still a bit detectable. In the finish, the coffee continues to dominate and sticks around long afterward. For being so robust, there isn't a whole lot of complexity in this. It basically tastes like INGREDIENTS.

Meanwhile, the mouthfeel is massive thick as one would expect. It's fairly slick though a higher-than-low carbonation serves very well to lighten it up quite a bit, aiding in drinkability. That said, this will be an all-night sipper.

A fine choice though it may be my least favorite of the Blackwater stouts. I'd say if you like Jah-va, you'll like this one as well. (1,237 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -11.6%

Black, thin edges, no head.

Choklat nose, ie that Tootsie roll stench, slight bit of roasted coffee beans, but mostly sweet artificial chocolate smell.

Coffee comes out a bit more in the taste, I get an herbal almost minty coffee bean character on the finish. Front end is mostly sweet chocolate . Nice mix of flavors here although the chocolate flavor is very Hershey's syrup-like and seems artificial.

Feels fairly light for how big this beer is, just a little bit slick. In my mind this one is better than the Choklat, as far as drinkability, but probably still best consumed with vanilla ice cream and a spoon. (617 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -11.6%

I wished that this blended offering was a little heavier on the Java and little less on the Choklat. Now, I love me some Choklat now, later, and in between, however this Mokah came off like it was 80% chocolate and 20% coffee.

The body and appearance definitely hinted away from this being as dark or thick as Choklat. It poured with a pinky thin tea-stain brown head, dark brown body but not 100% opaque either.

The nose actually had some coffee in it, but mostly just chocolate and creamy milk, very sweet.

Besides tasting overly of Choklat, the actual flavor of this beer is flooringly tasty. There was even less of an alcohol presence in this than I expected given 11% abv. This goes down smoooth. (706 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- pours jet black with a 3 finger...mocha (~!) colored head. No lacing...thats disappointing. Points for the robust head however.

S- coffee and chocolate...I guess the chocolate is the overwhelming flavor, but not by much. Theres some booziness in there too

T- I get a huge hit of very sweet chocolate with a little bit of an aftertaste of coffee beans...I think its too sweet, actually. Just a huge hit of chocolate, and its definitely milk chocolate...

M- slightly syrupy...nice and thick. A little overwhelming with the sweetness, but it goes down well.

D- the sweetness knocks it down a notch. Its certainly a delicious beer...but yeah, can be a little much. Total sipper (721 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -11.8%

Served in a crystal snifter. Pours black and opaque, resulting in an inch-high frothy, lumpy and dimpled head that lingers long and slowly recedes while leaving long legs of lace wrapping around the inside of the glass.

Low aroma of cocoa. Interesting mix of flavors of cocoa and smokiness, some notes of sharp espresso, but more cocoa than coffee. Hints of leather and toasted marshmallow. A subtle hop bitterness offsets the semi-sweet chocolate.

Full and rich mouthfeel. Decent drinkability, but could use more balance and bitterness. Too similar to Choklat IMO. (567 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours jets black with no head at all. I poured it straight in to glass to get any kind of head but only got a little lacing around the glass.

Smell - tons of bakers chocolate some oakyness, vanilla and alcohol.

Taste - taste is similar to the smell. Lots of coffee and bitter chocolate up front with enough vanilla to smooth out the bitterness of the burnt chocolate and coffee. Its got a good amount alcohol in the finish but the burnt chocolate sits around in the aftertaste. I'm a little disappointed because the mokah doesn't shine as much as I would have like. Its more bitter than sweet.

Overall it was good but not great southern tier brew I've had (658 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -11.8%

A - Typical molasses black, real weak quick fading what would be a foamy tan head, a few carbonation bubbles cascading.

S - Very strong aroma...can smell it when the glass is sitting on the table. Very well balanced coffee and chocolate flavors with a solid roasted malt backbone. Also a pretty good alcohol aroma in the background.

T - Was hoping the flavor would be a strong as the aroma but it's not quite there. More on the chocolate side than the coffee up front. The alcohol heat and flavor butts in about halfway through each sip but doesn't ruin the palate. Finishes with a coffee bitterness and just a hint of semi-sweet chocolate.

M/D - A thinner body than I would have expected for this style but it is nicely carbonated. Finishes neutral from the bittering coffee and chocolate sweetness. Alcohol is present but not in a completely bad way, but it's 11% ABV so I can't really complain. Drinkability is average because of the balance of flavors but nothing spectacular that leaves me wanting more.

Was hoping for a little more but this beer is a superior candidate for bourbon or whiskey barrel aging, IMO (1,120 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Jah-Vah plus Choklat equals Mokah...at least in Southern Tier's beery little world. Poured on tap at Trivia Pub in moon, thanks god only a 10-12 oz pour. Tasty dessert beer that really hits you with the Hershey's sweet chocolate syrup with a touch of toffee. Pitch black pour with a deep toffee colored brown head, minimal scattered lace with the booze well hidden among the chocolate candy sweetness. Flavor is great but the roasted coffee beans were overshadowed by the layers of chocolate I already descrbed. I'm glad I tried this, mouthfeel was thick and syrupy with moderated slow bubbling carbonation pretty much chewy in nature. Drinkability overall is great in moderation, one of those beers that are great when you get a sweet tooth but not for my everyday imbibing. I had Choklat and JahVah in the past my heart lies with the Jahvah. (843 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Basically black in color with some cola brown around the edges when it is held to a light. The ashy tan head tosses up big bubbles as it dissolves to a nebulous lacing across the surface.
Fudge brownie batter nose, drizzled in caramel. Coffee beans are mild, both in roast and in impact, but emerge more as it warms. Booze adds a bit of vaporous heat.
Chocolate and fudge are the mainstains. As a mixture of Jahva and Choklat, that is expected. Caramel and vanilla add some depth to all this processed cocoa. Still, it follows in Choklat trail pretty closely to this point. Here, now, is the dovetail. Coffee, again, is mild, but brings a rasping semi-bitter roastedness, and some wafts of smokiness. It's sweet as all get out, but the coffee help balance an otherwise oversweet beer (see: Choklat). Some bitter hoppy traits ride in on the tail end. Booze adds a bit of burning afterglow, but does not suggest the actual strength.
Syrupy full bodied with little carbonation. It's cloying, as all of Southern Tier's "candy flavored" stouts are. But there seems to be more levity here than in most of their others.
22ozs of this is straight lunacy. This is best served as dessert itself, and split 3 or 4 ways.
Overall, I've gotta hand it to this. And while it's still hardly beer, and more of flavored alcoholic beverage. I came in with rancid thoughts of a Creme Brulee level disaster. Happily, this ain't that.
It's actually better as a crossbreed than either of its two parent beers are individually. (1,505 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Split a bomber with a couple friends. Can't say I'm surprised that like ST's other big, dark beers, this is on the sweet and syrupy side. It's not as a over-the-edge as the Creme Brulee, but I might enjoy this more on a scoop of vanilla ice cream than solo. Why? Well the beer is dominated by an almost cloying cocoa, with very minimal mocha notes. I wouldn't have guessed it's a coffee beer really (OK, it's a blend of Jahva and Choklat), many stout get more java flavor from their roasted malts. That said, it's makes for a tasty dessert beer with more balanced malts (against the chocolate, not the hops) than the Choklat. For my money, I'd just get the Jahva. (663 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Reactions to this beer will be even more dependent on one's palate than normal, I think: it's a very, very sweet beer.

Too much so for me, I'll admit. It's not cloying, exactly, but the sweetness will be almost overpowering with those with tastes that run more towards the sour or bitter. For everyone else, this DIS will be quite the treat.

Complex, deep chocolate flavors accompanied by the promised mokah with a hint of dark cherry. Body is moderately carbonated with minimal head, and its sweetness aside, it's easy to drink. (533 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Deep, dark ruby brown color where only the minimal level of light can pass. Beige head that is predictable for stout, leaving stringy lace while maintaining a thin layer of bubbles after settling completely.

The smell is all mocha--no false advertising here. It leans slightly to the cocoa side, like a freshly opened Hersey's Cocoa.

Lots of cocoa to the tongue from the initial sip to long after the swallow. Interestingly, there's no indication to the high level of alcohol present. Lowly carbonated, given this beer a thick oily mouthfeel. (544 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pitch black in color as it is poured into a snifter glass with a quick dissolving head. Sniffing the beer reveals the smell of a chocolate tootsie roll pop with a feint hint of dark roast coffee. The taste is similar to the chocolate pop as well with a good balance of malts between the coffee and chocolate with some bitterness. It is similar to the Chocolate Imperial Stout they make with the addition of Coffee. Pretty good as a after dinner beer. (450 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

I can see how this is a well crafted beer, but I don't think it was quite for me. There is definitely a lot of chocolate to the smell, and a fair amount in the taste, but not enough coffee to balance it out. The taste is also a bit cloyingly sweet. It had pretty soft carbonation that I think was detrimental to this brew because a bit more carbonation might have helped lift some of the cloying sweetness off the tongue.

Anyway, it's well crafted and an interesting experiment, but not balanced very well for my tastes. I can tell that the base stout is good, but I don't like the overwhelming chocolate flavor. I think it tastes artificial and needs to be balanced out by something else. This is something of a general problem I have had with Southern Tier beers. They have a fantastic smell or at least a very intriguing one, but they also have an overwhelming sweetness that is too much. (893 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Appears very dark in the glass with two fingers of mocha colored head that had very good retention. The head eventually settles to a thick cap. Large amount of lacing is left on the glass. Aroma is more on the chocolate than on the coffee side. Dark chocolate is complimented by some cream. Smells almost like ice cream. Alcohol is also detected. The flavor is more chocolate than coffee. I would of preferred it the other way. It has a chocolate milk quality. Slightly sweet with just a hint of coffee. Alcohol heat also plays a large part in the finish. A little too hot. Not a huge body but it is substantial and slightly chewy. Coats the mouth well. Carbonation is low and has a nice texture. I would like this much more if it featured coffee more and the alcohol toned down. (779 characters)

Mokah from Southern Tier Brewing Company