Mokah - Southern Tier Brewing Company

MokahMokah

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DrinkinBuddy on 04-20-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mokah Alström Bros
Jeff_Wis

09-24-2012 01:16:33 | More by Jeff_Wis
BGsWo22

1.25/5  rDev -70.2%

03-20-2013 23:52:00 | More by BGsWo22
BrewDoctor

1.7/5  rDev -59.5%

I haven't reviewed a beer in many years, but this one had a profound impact on my taste buds and my stomach.

I stopped by Eli Cannons for an after work beverage and ordered up one of these gnarly concoctions after reviewing a fairly weak beer list for Eli's.

This thing poured a deep, dark chocolate with hints of mahogany. Head was nonexistent.

The smell was predominantly chocolate with a mild hint of coffee.

The first sip hit me with a wave of chocolate and even more chocolately sweetness followed by a strong alcohol burn in the stomach.

I proceeded to sip this concoction with each sip becoming more difficult than the last. I love chocolate, but the cloying sweetness and lack of complexity and complimentary flavors made this thing unbearable.

I couldn't handle it anymore, I had reached that dreaded point in every dedicated beer drinkers life. That point of conflict which burdens our soul to the core, but I had no other decision. I asked the bartender to take the remaining 1/2 glass away and do the ever so feared drain pour.

Seriously, I've had over 500 different beers in my life and this one was absolutely disgusting.

OK, I will keep my door open to this beer, but only under 1 condition. I would try this again if it was paired up with a proper meal that (gag) may actually compliment this hideous creation.

09-10-2010 20:43:00 | More by BrewDoctor

05-31-2013 01:38:43 | More by Cramshawbar
frederichar

District of Columbia

2.17/5  rDev -48.3%

i do not like flavored beers in general, and i do not like chocolate, though coffee is nice--iced coffee, cafe au lait, starbucks, any kind of coffee except coffee in my beer. i made a mistake ordering this beer, and left it on the table and finished my wife's widmer hefweizen

11-29-2010 01:41:09 | More by frederichar
Vinny71

2.23/5  rDev -46.9%

22 ounce poured into a pint glass on Thanksgiving day. I didn't care for this one at all. There was virtualy no head or lace to speak of. Some burnt coffee and vanilla but I'm smelling and tasting mostly just alcohol. I'm quite dissapointed with this one because I'm a stout lover and was looking forward to it after seeing so many good reviews here. Possibly I got a hold of an older bottle but being an imperial I would figure it would have some decent shelf life. It was a struggle to finish.

11-30-2009 00:49:11 | More by Vinny71

2.25/5  rDev -46.4%

07-14-2014 00:53:17 | More by newbrewer_zb
biglite351

2.45/5  rDev -41.7%

A - considerable red around the edges for a chocolate-coffee stout. Creamy light tan head leaving no lacing.

S - heavy chocolate, milk chocolate, almost truffel like. Mild coffee in the background. Like you walked into a high end chocolate store.

T - like popping a truffel after taking a sip of coffee. But unlike the scent, this is a bitter dark chocolate and bitter coffee. Honestly, not the sum of its parts.

M - solid coating. Good tingle all over the tongue and a bit in the throat.

D - no thanks, too bitter.

11-22-2010 00:49:04 | More by biglite351

06-24-2014 23:18:04 | More by DROIDxJR
crusian

Oregon

2.53/5  rDev -39.8%

22 oz. bottle from Hyde's park liquors in Cincinnati.
pours a nice dark brown with little to no head that dissipates quickly. nice lacing that oozes down the side of the glass, looks nice and tasty.
aroma of chocolate, honestly, that is about it, totally expected some coffee aroma, but just doesnt seem to be there. I have a bad feeling about this.
taste is overwhelmingly chocolate. Problem is, it is overwhelmingly artificial chocolate flavoring. It reminds me of Rogue Chocolate Stout. Seems like they are trying too hard on the chocolate, and instead of balancing it, they try to overwhelm it. I had high hopes for this beer, but was utterly disappointed. On a better note, the high abv is well hidden, but I suppose if you pump enough chocolate into it, it will do that.

05-30-2010 16:35:19 | More by crusian
OddNotion

2.55/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

I had high hopes for this beer as in general I am a fan of Southern Tier, and in particular enjoyed Choklat which is mentioned on the label.

Appearance: Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass with next to no head and minimal lacing. It pours a pitch dark black but when held up to the light a lot of light makes its way through showing a dark ruby color for a good portion of the glass.

Smell: It smells quite sweet but I get next to nothing in terms of the chocolate or coffee. It is dull which was very unexpected.

Taste: Follows the nose in that the coffee and chocolate flavors are very weak, next to non existent. Unfortunately this beer is not appealing but since I am against the abuse of alcohol, I will not drainpour. For an 11% brew the alcohol is well hidden, there is no booziness. As it warms it gets sweeter but still no chocolate or coffee.

Mouthfeel:I like my stouts thick and viscous. This was medium bodied and lightly carbonated. It was kind of close but not quite where I wanted it to be.

Overall: I will not revisit this bottle, unless I can figure out that this bottle was very old. I got it from a store with a good reputation so I am not banking on it being too old. There are far better examples of both chocolate stouts and coffee stouts. As I saw in a previous review, the chocolate and coffee flavors that are noticable taste very artificial and it is a huge turn off.

03-28-2011 21:40:47 | More by OddNotion
nrbw23

2.55/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

A- Pours a deep black color with a tan head that gradually faded, and left just a bit of lacing.

S- Aroma was a strong blast of roasted chocolate. That's all.

T- Taste was extremely sweet and again only chocolate. Milk chocolate and dark chocolate nothing else.

M- A bit creamy, fuller side of medium and carbonation seemed right on.

D- Wow no thanks on this one. Nothing other than chocolate and it was pretty hard to drink.

07-20-2010 20:56:11 | More by nrbw23
ne0m00re

2.63/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

09/26/10- Had a 22 oz bottle of this.
A: Very dark brown with a wide red hue, large cream head died to a good large collar.
S: Creamy vanilla creme filling with oakyness, dental cleaner, strange sugar substitute, some coffee and licorice. This is beginning to sound like a mistake getting this bottle.
T: Sticky sweet creamy mocha, like Starbucks mochas where it is too sweet. Only OK; it is over the top.
M: Sticky with a cleansing carbonation.
D: I really wasn't excited about finishing the bomber.

11-08-2010 19:10:37 | More by ne0m00re
wvsabbath

West Virginia

2.63/5  rDev -37.4%

Serving Type - 22oz bottle

Appearance - Very dark tan, black, great 3 inch thick creamy head

Smell - Coffee, cocoa, mocha, hops, chocolate, malts, barley, smells amazing

Taste - As the smell prepaired me, very strong mocha coffee taste. Has a warm hop alcohol kick also. You get some coffee mixed with chocolate but really, the mocha flavor is way to strong and dominates all.The yeast mixed with the mocha is way too bitter for my liking, and the aftertaste is rather odd

Mouthfeel - Its rather bitter on the tounge, and leaves a very bitter aftertaste. After a few drinks, wasnt digging it as much as before. Its rather thin in the mouth, and doesnt ready leave me wanting more

Drinkabilty - With Its high alcohol, and bitter mocha overload, this beer doesnt do it for me. Couldnt finish the 220z. I dont want this again, so much better coffee stouts out there. This smelled better then it tasted to me.

11-04-2010 08:59:56 | More by wvsabbath
Reaper16

Alabama

2.7/5  rDev -35.7%

650mL bomber served into a Chimay goblet

Again, like every beer I pour into this Chimay goblet, there is essentially no head. Tan/orange foam settles into a small ring that laces in spots. The beer does not pour as black as I expect out of imperial/double stouts. Its reddish brown around the edges of the glass both looking at the side of the goblet and looking straight down on top of the liquid.

Oh, holy balls does this beer have an assertive bouquet. Vanilla -- oh, the unrelenting vanilla -- grabs ahold of every nose hair that I have. Just within the first five seconds of pouring this beer I am already thinking how smart it was to have this beer as dessert. After the vanilla, the chocolate wafts through. It doesn't smell "bittersweet" as the label proclaims its Belgian chocolate nibs to be; this is milk chocolate all the way. Sweet chocolate and vanilla become comprehensible together only to have pure sugar enter this mad-baker's equation. It smells like cinnamon roll icing -- not thick and super-cloying like cake icing, rather a thinner, more toned-down sugar blast. Finally, after some digging (and a few pauses to check my insulin level) I get the coffee. Its not so much roasted (again, as the label says) as it is reminiscent of a Starbucks Frappacino (sp?) bottled drink. All of these scents are good in isolation, but they sort of clash here by virtue of the strength of each element. This is saccharine.

Mokah isn't as sweet on the tongue as the nose suggests. Don't get me wrong -- I still feel as if my throat has been filled with congealed sugar. But some of the less-sweet aspects of chocolate and coffee actually make themselves known. There is a touch of roasted chocolate malt, especially on the back of the mouth. There are some definite alcohol fusels here, and they are unwelcome (even though they do interrupt the onset of diabetes). This is one of those beers that seems artificially boozy; that its high ABV of 11% is unnecessary. A lower ABV would serve the beer. Generic coffee aftertaste is the beer's lasting impression before the next, syrupy taste. I've got 75% of this bomber left, and it is going to be a chore to finish by myself. At the end of the day, this is still an imperial stout with familiar malty flavors. And generic milk chocolate & coffee syrup flavors aren't the end of the world. This is a decent beer. But its a little much for someone with healthy blood sugar levels.

The mouthfeel is the finest quality of Mokah. It has a familiar imperial stout thickness. Unfortunately, this positive (for the style) attribute contributes to the problem with drinkability, i.e. that this is too sweet for nominal human consumption. The good level of thickness here makes for a beer that is like pouring brownie batter down your throat. Combine that with the 11% ABV and you have a bomber that is difficult to consume alone unless you are a notorious sweet tooth.

I've had this bottle in my fridge since May. I don't know why I drank this on an August night. Partly because the weather was kind of cool, and partly to clear room in the fridge, I guess. I have never had Choklat or Jahva before, so I cannot comment as to how well this blend accommodates or improves upon those offerings. I am an imperial stout kind of guy, but this is huh wow (to borrow a message board meme). Southern Tier Mokah is straight up enamel-erasing. I feel like I've eaten an entire box of Russel Stover assorted candies. And taken a couple of shots of booze on top of that. I didn't come into this review with the intention of bashing the beer or writing funny lines or anything like that. But when a beer has such strong flavors that clash against each other, never making a cohesive whole, then I have little choice.

08-24-2009 02:41:48 | More by Reaper16
monitorpop

2.73/5  rDev -35%

A: Solid black with a half finger creamy head

S: Sweet Hershey's syrup.

T: Sweet milk chocolate upfront, followed by faint mild coffee, finishes bitter. Flavor seems a bit artificial.

M: Silky smooth, low carbonation with a slight alcohol burn.

O: The chocolate seems a bit artificial and I'm not a big fan of the bitter finish.

10-15-2011 21:20:26 | More by monitorpop

2.75/5  rDev -34.5%

07-14-2014 21:02:09 | More by _morandi_
jonziefle

2.78/5  rDev -33.8%

Appearance: Poured an opaque black, with a half-finger light brown head. Decent retention, reducing to a thin layer. Not much is the way of lacing.

Smell: Smells of chocolate, caramel, and dark fruit, with a smoky malt backing. Kind of like a tootsie roll, actually. Very boozy nose at first, with a whiskey like bite; 11% is noticeable in the smell.

Taste: Sweet and boozy, front and center. Alcohol bites hard to start, with a sweet dark fruit taste dominating. The alcohol bites the back of the throat as well, finishing with coffee flavors. The alcohol dominates the taste though; not well hidden at all.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Big alcohol bite. No carbonation.

Drinkability: Way too boozy of a stout for me. 11% is high, but it is not hidden at all. The beer almost stings. The chocolate and coffee flavors are nice, but not smooth like I like. Very difficult to drink.

09-05-2009 02:24:18 | More by jonziefle
Arbitrator

2.8/5  rDev -33.3%

Chilled bottle into a glass. *Pretty* sure this came from onix1agr. Thanks Barry.

A: Pours a brown-black blend, impenetrable in my tulip but definitely shows some light through the edges if I hold it close to a lamp. Has a strong mocha (ha!) colored head that retains well and leaves splotches of lacing down the sides.

S: Chocolate / cocoa, coffee, caramel, and some nutty character. I'm scared by how sweet this smells, as I've had less-than-positive experiences with ST's other oversweetened beers.

T: It tastes pretty damn sweet too... Like liquid sugar at first. But, it shapes up pretty nicely as it warms, and gets less sweet in the finish (though I wouldn't call this dry exactly). The coffee does a good job of providing a balancing bitterness against the chocolate and caramel flavors, and the nutty components give it some depth. Some vanilla to be found as well. Make no mistake, it's heavily on the sweet side, but not as cloying as I was expecting.

M: Full-bodied, moderate carbonation. Sweet finish with some definite booze burn.

D: I would not specifically trade for this, but I might take a sip of a future bottle.

08-23-2009 17:18:01 | More by Arbitrator
spointon

2.83/5  rDev -32.6%

I poured this one from a 22 oz. brown bomber bottle into a shaker pint glass.

A= This beer poured a very dark black-brown color with a 1" dark tan head. The head settled slowly and left some nice sticky lace down my glass. Unfortunately the appearance was this highlight of this beer.

S= Extremely chocolate-y in the nose. Smelled like chocolate pudding as its being cooked. Only a very slight bit of coffee in there.

T= Started off sweet and somehow got sweeter as each sip progressed. Nearly all of the flavor was sweet, rich milk chocolate. Near the finish, things dried out just a bit and a small roasted note emerged and then disappeared again under the chocolate onslaught. Cloying to say the least.

MF= Heavy side of medium bodied with a creamy, slippery mouthfeel and a moderate carbonation level.

D= This was a big disappointment for me. I usually like Southern Tier a lot and have enjoyed many of their more adventurous brews. This one really fell flat for me.

05-20-2009 16:34:47 | More by spointon