Mokah - Southern Tier Brewing Company

MokahMokah

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DrinkinBuddy on 04-20-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mokah Alström Bros
MTWood

2.75/5  rDev -34.5%

12-05-2012 19:30:35 | More by MTWood
_morandi_

2.75/5  rDev -34.5%

07-14-2014 21:02:09 | More by _morandi_
jonziefle

2.78/5  rDev -33.8%

Appearance: Poured an opaque black, with a half-finger light brown head. Decent retention, reducing to a thin layer. Not much is the way of lacing.

Smell: Smells of chocolate, caramel, and dark fruit, with a smoky malt backing. Kind of like a tootsie roll, actually. Very boozy nose at first, with a whiskey like bite; 11% is noticeable in the smell.

Taste: Sweet and boozy, front and center. Alcohol bites hard to start, with a sweet dark fruit taste dominating. The alcohol bites the back of the throat as well, finishing with coffee flavors. The alcohol dominates the taste though; not well hidden at all.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Big alcohol bite. No carbonation.

Drinkability: Way too boozy of a stout for me. 11% is high, but it is not hidden at all. The beer almost stings. The chocolate and coffee flavors are nice, but not smooth like I like. Very difficult to drink.

09-05-2009 02:24:18 | More by jonziefle
Arbitrator

2.8/5  rDev -33.3%

Chilled bottle into a glass. *Pretty* sure this came from onix1agr. Thanks Barry.

A: Pours a brown-black blend, impenetrable in my tulip but definitely shows some light through the edges if I hold it close to a lamp. Has a strong mocha (ha!) colored head that retains well and leaves splotches of lacing down the sides.

S: Chocolate / cocoa, coffee, caramel, and some nutty character. I'm scared by how sweet this smells, as I've had less-than-positive experiences with ST's other oversweetened beers.

T: It tastes pretty damn sweet too... Like liquid sugar at first. But, it shapes up pretty nicely as it warms, and gets less sweet in the finish (though I wouldn't call this dry exactly). The coffee does a good job of providing a balancing bitterness against the chocolate and caramel flavors, and the nutty components give it some depth. Some vanilla to be found as well. Make no mistake, it's heavily on the sweet side, but not as cloying as I was expecting.

M: Full-bodied, moderate carbonation. Sweet finish with some definite booze burn.

D: I would not specifically trade for this, but I might take a sip of a future bottle.

08-23-2009 17:18:01 | More by Arbitrator
spointon

2.83/5  rDev -32.6%

I poured this one from a 22 oz. brown bomber bottle into a shaker pint glass.

A= This beer poured a very dark black-brown color with a 1" dark tan head. The head settled slowly and left some nice sticky lace down my glass. Unfortunately the appearance was this highlight of this beer.

S= Extremely chocolate-y in the nose. Smelled like chocolate pudding as its being cooked. Only a very slight bit of coffee in there.

T= Started off sweet and somehow got sweeter as each sip progressed. Nearly all of the flavor was sweet, rich milk chocolate. Near the finish, things dried out just a bit and a small roasted note emerged and then disappeared again under the chocolate onslaught. Cloying to say the least.

MF= Heavy side of medium bodied with a creamy, slippery mouthfeel and a moderate carbonation level.

D= This was a big disappointment for me. I usually like Southern Tier a lot and have enjoyed many of their more adventurous brews. This one really fell flat for me.

05-20-2009 16:34:47 | More by spointon
zeledonia

2.85/5  rDev -32.1%

Bottle from summer 2011.

Pours very dark brown, black in the glass, and rather sludgy. Minimal medium-tan head (despite a vigorous pour), gone in 60 seconds, but does leave some decent lacing. Looks flattish.

Smell is a wallop of syrupy sweet chocolate, with a bit of dry cocoa powder in there as well. Some hops lift it up late. But I get no coffee smell, and only a hint of the stout behind that big chocolate bomb.

Taste is more varied, but also a bit more offending. Starts out chocolatey, then comes on powerfully sweet, before finishing with an odd chemically combination of bitter and sweet. I've encountered this same odd character in other Southern Tier stouts, and I don't like it. Again, I get very little coffee at all. Taste drifts into a shiver-inducing bitterness as the alcohol kicks up. Overall, it's exceedingly sweet, with some strange flavors bouncing around on top of that artificial-sweetener background.

Mouthfeel: heavy body, pretty chewy, and very syrupy. Low carbonation, just enough to keep it from being flat. Works okay with the beer, but doesn't do it for me.

Dear Southern Tier: sometimes less is more. I've had a number of these big stouts, and I don't dig any of them. The ones I've had are all way overdone, with the same weird sweetness that tastes artificial. I wish they would let the characteristics of the other ingredients shine through more.

03-03-2012 04:16:03 | More by zeledonia
NODAK

Tennessee

2.9/5  rDev -31%

On the nose, it's very sweet and chocolatey with a hint of coffee. It's not really all that different from Choklat to be honest. I think I'm in for another diabetes beer.

Unsurprisingly, it pours pitch black with a nice, dark brown head. Doesn't last too long, however.

Taste starts off with semi-sweet chocolate but turns pretty quickly to a strong, pretty bitter dark chocolate and coffee taste. The power of the bitter dark chocolate and coffee make me grimace a little bit. It actually seems more bitter dark chocolate than coffee, though. The aftertaste is pure roasted malt/coffee. Wowza.

Not my favorite, honestly. I just did not enjoy this as much as other offerings by ST. Thus far, in the Blackwater series, this is my least favorite.

05-04-2011 00:52:15 | More by NODAK
Kudashov

2.9/5  rDev -31%

Poured into a snifter Mokah is nice black stout with a fat furry head . Aroma is sweet " moon pie " esque smell . Nice lacing on glass but after that, is where I have an issue with the brew. Tasting this over and over during MNF .The sweetness is too much .It is OK but not thick or chewy enough for my liking . It is not nasty but , this has been aged over a year and the flavors have not evened out. This is not Creme Brulee sweet but it is not my thing . Choklat is still my fav . If this had more of a coffee flavor then it would get a better grade . Good but not great .

09-14-2010 00:57:52 | More by Kudashov
sweemzander

2.9/5  rDev -31%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter. A date of 17-01-09 on the bottle.

(A)- Pours a pitch dark black color that produced no head, just some tan bubbles/froth on the surface.

(S)- Mountains of brown sugar & vanilla. Very sugary sweet smelling. Tiny tidbits of coffee beans & chocolate in the far background.

(T)- Pretty similar to the smell. Lots of vanilla & brown sugar with an espresso-like chocolate creaminess on the finish. The smell foretold a giant sugary beer, but this is a little better balanced that that, but its still extremely sweet. Once this warms up, it becomes a rich milk chocolate bomb!

(M)- A good carbonation level for the style. Very sweet; very much a dessert beer. I wish I could taste more of the coffee that is lost behind the massively sweet milk chocolate. Am I being picky? Maybe. It gets very hot & boozy as it goes down.

(D)- Dont get me wrong, this tastes good; I just wish there was something more to it than an alcoholic milk chocolate shake. Very one-dimensional to me. If I had this again, it would definitely be as a replacement for dessert. Way too filling & sweet to me to enjoy fully on my own. Share a bottle with at least 2 people.

01-27-2010 01:11:08 | More by sweemzander
JerseyKirk

2.95/5  rDev -29.8%

A: Pitch black with a 1 finger creamy slight tan head. Good head retention.

S: Dark chocolate, slight coffee, black strap.

T: Molasses, slight chocolate, bitterness, snappy finish. Alcohol is present and noticeably boozy.

M: Thick and well suited for the style. Although highly alcoholic this beer doesn't have any warming properties.

O: Eh...take it or leave it. I say leave it. There are a lot better Southern Tier beers out there.

08-15-2011 00:40:21 | More by JerseyKirk

sbricker

11-14-2011 18:59:35 | More by sbricker
scottyshades

3.03/5  rDev -27.9%

A: Pours a rich, thick, syrupy black color that slowly builds a nice big mocha color head...how fitting. Pretty awesome lacing along the glass. Nice lookin brew.

S: Chocolate, lactose, milk, cocoa, molasses, raisins (chocolate covered), caramel, and coffee that gives it a bittering aroma.

T: Very chocolaty, very sweet and definitely lactose infused. Perhaps a little too sweet for me, almost tastes like a cold chocolate malt milkshake.

MF/D: Low carbonation, full body, long chocolaty finish.

A little overdone for me, beware of its richness. Something just didn't sit right and it made me (and my Dad) feel sick from the sweetness, but we will see next time I can grab one.

08-09-2009 00:10:07 | More by scottyshades