2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mokah - Southern Tier Brewing Company

MokahMokah

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: DrinkinBuddy on 04-20-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mokah Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,354 | Reviews: 637 | Show All Ratings:
scones

Wisconsin

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Had this for the first time today, out of a bomber. I guess that maybe I am giving it a bad review in that I am not objectively judging the style, but oh well.

A: Dark brown, opaque, with a dark tan head.
S: As my girlfriend said: "It smells like malt-o-meal made with chocolate syrup." Tons of chocolate on the nose, with some coffee and roasted malt. Smells flavorful.
T: It's like drinking a chocolate shake. I get that that isn't for most beer drinkers, but this was DELICIOUS. There was a slight bit of coffee there, and some standard stout flavors, but it was smooth chocolate the whole way through.
M: Thick, creamy, and delicious. Carbonation was good. On the back end you could feel the alcohol, but in a good way.
O: A delicious drink that I would take over a white russian any day... the problem is, if you want a beer and not a white russian, you're out of luck. It tastes like candy, and I love it, but it is not what your typical beer drinker would see as beer. If it's what you're in the mood for, it's perfect... but if you just want a coffee stout, stay away - this is far more than you're bargaining for.

08-05-2011 03:09:25 | More by scones
Burl41

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance-Jet black, resembling a piece of dark chocolate.

Smell-Alch is first then a wonderful chocolate aroma and followed by a slight coffee backing.

Taste- I'm impressed here, when I saw the abv and the first whiff when it was poured, I wondered if it would be an overpowering beer that lacked in flavor. There was no need to be worried, this is a great chocolate stout. Thick complex, with rasin, coffee, and chocolate sweetness all balancing together.

Mouthfeel- Thick and chewy

Drinkability- surprising, I could drink this faster than most imperials, and more if it were not for the sweetness which does hold it back.

A great beer, something I would have a cold fall night like tonight, probably a great dessert beer.

11-25-2009 07:22:18 | More by Burl41
LieutenantWort

Washington

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass (no snifters on hand, sry folks). This is one deep, dark beer... almost jet black in the glass with a moderate cinnamon-brown head. Nose is effervescent and carries a lot of sugar and alcohol.

Taste is incredible, as long as the sweetness doesn't bother you. Rich, deep caramel and toffee flavors dominate. The bittersweet notes of the chocolate come out a little later, and there's just the slightest hint of coffee behind it all. The coffee notes are very subtle; tastes much more like a spiced chocolate than a coffee/chocolate blend despite the provenance.

Mouthfeel is good -- thick and hearty without being cloying or syrupy. ABV is very high, and although it doesn't wallop you on the tongue, the alcohol is there and makes this more of a sipping/nursing beer. The bottle suggests that maybe this *is* your dessert, and it's certainly both filling and sweet enough to fit the bill.

08-21-2009 11:36:21 | More by LieutenantWort
FunkyFibes

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

A- a nice black color with a small creamy mocha head that dissipates quickly.

S- smell is nearly identical to a Tootsie Roll. Lots of chocolate with coffee background.

T- firm chocolatey flavor with subtle hints of coffee. Clearly a dessert beer, but very drinkable for 11.2% alcohol

M- coats the mouth with each sip. I could see this tiring the taste buds after too much. Very low carbonation suits the style.

O- While the bold flavors and sweetness may run it thin in quantity, it is highly enjoyable. I could see making this into an ice cream float...in the very near future. A very well crafted beer.

08-18-2011 16:03:45 | More by FunkyFibes
wpqx

A - Extremely dark with some brown overtones

S - wonderful aroma of chocolate and coffee

T - It's unfair how smooth this beer is for as strong as it is. Super chocolatey and unbelievably delicious, this is in my top 5 of all time.

M - Smooth and thick going down, coats your palate with some lingering chocolate overtones.

O - This is as good of a beer as I've ever had. Far more chocolate flavor than Southern Tier's Choklat, super smooth, full bodied, strong, flavorful, and amazing. This is one of those beers I buy every time I see it on the shelf and I know this will be better than anything else I might buy.

08-12-2013 03:19:45 | More by wpqx
beerboy9960

Oklahoma

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter. Big thanks to Rhong187 for this one. My first Southern Tier brew so we'll see how it turns out!

A: Pours a midnight black with a thin light brown head.

S: I'm picking up quite a few different smells with this one. Hints of bitter cacao, milk chocolate, coffee, and even a tad of licorice.

T: WOW! This is a very delicious beer! Chocolate definitely dominates this beer. On the aftertaste you detect the bitter cacao and coffee notes. A very sweet tasting beer!

M: Very thick, almost chewy! It has a good amount of carbonation to it as well.

O: Overall this is a very great beer! I'm very pleased with my first Southern Tier offering! I wish I had another one to age to see what type of changes it would undergo over time. Worth trying if you have the chance!

08-08-2011 05:02:49 | More by beerboy9960
Cuzco

4.45/5  rDev +6%

Had this both in Bottle and On Tap. This review is for the Tap experience.

This is a DARK beer. Jet black in color. Small dark brown head which laces the glass the entire time. The smell of this beer is exceptional. You can spell it the minute it is placed in front of you. The taste almost lives up to the smell. It is a very sweet well balanced beer. Hints of malt and chocolate coat your tongue. Coffee flavors come after the initial sip.

The only area that could be a concern would be the drinkability. It is very sweet and after a pint or two it would become a bit much in my opinion.

This is a great combination of their Coffee and Chocolate stouts.

(PS if you do not enjoy sweet beers avoid this one!!)

07-14-2009 14:22:47 | More by Cuzco
jillmart

Georgia

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

A - Dark brown with healthy head, tan in color. No frothy residue left on the glass.

S: Chocolate. Oh the chocolate. This is the best-smelling chocolate beer I've encoutnered thus far. To steal a phrase from promark420, who has not reviewed this beer, it smells like a chocolate donut.

T: Mostly dark chocolate, a hint of coffee. It's pretty dominantly chocolate in taste, though.

M: Smooth and creamy.

D: This is a deceptive 11-percenter. It felt like it wasn't that strong while drinking it. I recommend sharing this beer with someone else because of how strong it is. Pair it with a dessert, or drink it as a dessert. I had mine with a hazelnut gelato, and it was a perfect combination.

07-19-2010 18:25:38 | More by jillmart
beergirlblog

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

This beer, like the Night Stalker, is black on the pour, it has a tan foamy head that dissipates fairly quickly. It smells, again, like really sweet chocolate, with undertones of coffee, but the smell is primarily chocolate. In my notes, I wrote chocolate about 10 times.
Chocolate was also my only note in the taste section. In addition to the descriptors dark, melted, yummy, creamy, thick. There wasn't much of a coffee taste, it came across as a starbucks-style mocha rather than something better quality. The flavors definitely weren't as complex or balanced as in the night stalker, but the chocolate was so delicious that it didn't matter too much.
In the mouth, again, chocolate, smooth and sweet all the way. It IS the perfect thickness for the flavor profile. Can't drink it fast, but it's pretty delicious as a rich indulgence.

06-12-2009 17:24:07 | More by beergirlblog
EvilPumpkin

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured a 22 oz. into a tulip glass

A: A very attractive incredibly dark brown, almost black. Dark tan head shows up for a moment but quickly escapes in my Bell's tulip glass. Little head leads to no lacing.

S: The smell catches me off guard with its mellowness. The last ST I had was the Crème Brulee which had a much stronger smell. The coffee and chocolate notes mix well but the chocolate is overall more noticeable. Slight hints of caramel, like chocolate sweetened with caramel.

T: The taste is also carried by the bittersweet chocolate. Initially the chocolate commands the taste but the coffee notes come in strong immediately afterwards followed by a noticeable sweetness. The 11% alcohol also makes an appearance with a lingering taste. The lingering taste is the bitterness of the chocolate, coffee and the alcohol. Overall the flavor is fuller and more pleasant up front than in the lingering notes.

M: When the beer first touches my lips I fell in love with the thickness of this brew. Silky yet with enough carbonation to tickle the tongue. Great mouthfeel.

D: As with the last ST Blackwater Series Stout I had, the Crème Brulee, this beer demands to be had slowly, as the bitterness from the coffee and chocolate together can become too much when sips are spaced too close together. As with the Creme Brulee, large sips spaced well apart really lend well to the flavors of this beer.

I've been missing ST's Choklat since I first had it in New York a year and a half ago and the Mokah fulfilled my desire for some chocolaty goodness from Southern Tier. A very enjoyable beer.

08-01-2009 22:59:03 | More by EvilPumpkin
CS1971

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

I have been looking forward to trying Southern Tier for quite a while, and had my first experience tonight with there Mokah offering. Everything everyone else said is true, dark appearance, very chocolaty upfront, and I like the sweet, coffee aftertaste as well. Up to this point I have been much more of a fan of wheat beers or lagers than stouts, but this stout is unique. The coffee flavor offsets any bitterness nicely, and the chocolate is strong enough to make it a beer you will want to go back to. This is something you definitely need to try, out of all the chocolate beers I have tried so far it is the most chocolaty, though that may change once I try the Chokolat. I am very excited to have a store in the area selling Southern Tier and looking forward to trying there other offerings as well, specifically the Chokolat and Creme Brulee.

07-18-2011 01:00:16 | More by CS1971
BrewDoctor

Connecticut

1.7/5  rDev -59.5%

I haven't reviewed a beer in many years, but this one had a profound impact on my taste buds and my stomach.

I stopped by Eli Cannons for an after work beverage and ordered up one of these gnarly concoctions after reviewing a fairly weak beer list for Eli's.

This thing poured a deep, dark chocolate with hints of mahogany. Head was nonexistent.

The smell was predominantly chocolate with a mild hint of coffee.

The first sip hit me with a wave of chocolate and even more chocolately sweetness followed by a strong alcohol burn in the stomach.

I proceeded to sip this concoction with each sip becoming more difficult than the last. I love chocolate, but the cloying sweetness and lack of complexity and complimentary flavors made this thing unbearable.

I couldn't handle it anymore, I had reached that dreaded point in every dedicated beer drinkers life. That point of conflict which burdens our soul to the core, but I had no other decision. I asked the bartender to take the remaining 1/2 glass away and do the ever so feared drain pour.

Seriously, I've had over 500 different beers in my life and this one was absolutely disgusting.

OK, I will keep my door open to this beer, but only under 1 condition. I would try this again if it was paired up with a proper meal that (gag) may actually compliment this hideous creation.

09-10-2010 20:43:00 | More by BrewDoctor
tuo

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

A:Pours a nice dark brown with a touch of red when held to the light. A very nice 2 finger head that fades into a small ring.

S: Lots of chocolate with a touch of coffee and a bit of alcohol.

T: Rich Chocolate notes with the roasted barley and coffee in the background.

M: It is a little thinner then I expected, but still nice mouthfeel to it.

D: Surprisingly very easy with the 11%ABV tag. I could have a couple of these with dessert and then be set for bed.

Overall: It is a very good beer, the only turn off for some might be the large chocolate presence.

05-13-2009 01:21:37 | More by tuo
jrnold

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

A: black with a thick tan foamy head. The head took its time dissipating but left lacing and a thin cover.
S: There is chocolate and coffee, but it is definitely the chocolate that comes through the most. The smell is amazing.
T: Again the chocolate comes in up front. A little burnt malt and coffee, and even a hint of vanilla and cream. There is some warming alcohol as would be expected from its ABV, and a dry finish.
M: Thick and creamy.
D: This is dessert reincarnated as a beer. I would drink these all day if it weren't for the ABV.

06-10-2009 02:35:57 | More by jrnold
keaston

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

Visited the brewery less than a week after this was released, picked up a bomber for $4.

A - Jet black with a creamy tan head. Head fades to a quarter-finger and sticks around. An impressive looking stout.

S - Hershey's chocolate syrup in the nose. Not as intense as their Choklat, but still overpowering. I find the smell too cloying and easily the weakest aspect of this beer.

T/M - Same intense chocolate as Choklat, but quickly gives way to more complex and less cloying taste. Sweet fades to a not-quite-bitter coffee flavor. There is very little roasted flavor typically associated with stouts. Coffee and an interesting prickly spiciness on the palate. Coffee flavor becomes more prevalent as the beer warms. Mouthfeel is very good. Rich and full with perfectly attenuated carbonation. 11% ABV is nowhere to be found.

D - Definitely above-average drinkability for an Imperial stout. Flavors are not overly rich, but rather brisk and bracing. The chocolate in the beginning is rich but quickly fades and is not overbearing. The alcohol is masterfully hidden and I had to remind myself that this is an 11% brew.

While not something I will be guzzling in the summer months, I will definitely pick up some more of this for when it gets cold. Between this brew and their barleywine, Southern Tier has persuaded me to try every one of their offerings. Everything I've tried from them has been well-crafted and is of high quality, and this beer is no exception

05-01-2009 23:48:13 | More by keaston
JerseyDevil980

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is a truly amazing beer, a great caramel color wen poured that settles dark with a very small head. Itsa stout brewed with chcolate and coffee and its amazing aroma smells very pleasing as you get a great hint of both flavors. It goes down so smooth a little bitter which is expected but leaves an amazing taste in your mouth when all is said and done.

09-05-2009 01:22:03 | More by JerseyDevil980
ddibrita

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

A - very dark with a big head. This head stays for quite a bit. Very dark.

S- I think I just opened a can of canfield chocolate soda. there is a lot of chocolate coming through. Im not getting much of the coffee. There is a freshness quality to this smell almost citruslike.

T- im liking it, but im a bit disappointed. I was hoping for more balance with more coffee. I rink the problem is that I prefer the jahva over choklat. Those who are bigger chocolate fans will probably like this one, ore than I.

M- I like the feel on this one. More carbonated than I expected which still works in the warmer weather. I tend to like my stouts more like motor oil.

Overall this is a pretty decent one, but not as good as the jahva. Looking forward to the creme brulee later this august.

06-19-2011 00:47:52 | More by ddibrita
Brambleman

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from bomber into tulip.
Pours almost black....I found it more opaque than some other reviewers. One and a half finger tan head, nice lace. The smell is fantastic! Dark, sweet malt....followed immediately by Hershey's choc syrup, coffee is the afterscent. Pretty simple....sweet, malty, roasty, chocolatey, coffee goodness! Mouthfeel is silky and viscous. Picking up on the alcohol now s I'm sipping more and have had about 5-6 ozs. Very good beer.

11-05-2011 02:24:46 | More by Brambleman
beertownbaron

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - This stout is pretty dark, just a hint of light can pierce it. Not a lot of head, maybe an 1/8 of an inch and it disappears quickly. Decent lacing across the glass.
S - Smells like a brown tootsie roll pop. Nice and chocolatey, with a bit of coffee mixed in there.
T - Strong chocolate taste, sweet too. Coffee is stronger here than in the smell, a nice blend of flavors. Alcohol is present, but not overpowering. I guess that should be expected from 11% abv.
M - Pretty carbonationed for a stout, coarse over the tongue. Once the fizz fades, has a light feel to it.
D - Very drinkable brew, there's almost nothing I didn't enjoy about it. Mouthfeel is a bit rough, but not necessarily bad. Overall this was a pleasure to drink and I'm looking forward to picking up some more Southern Tier brews.

12-12-2009 04:03:48 | More by beertownbaron
yobeerman

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Black with a sandy head. Looks like dark coffee. The smell is of chocolate that overpowers any other aroma that might be trying to get your attention. You pick up the chocolate from accross the room. As one might expect the taste of chocolate is incredible with a nice coffee finish. This is a smooth, medium to full bodied beer with light carbonation. One is enough for me, preferably as a dessert after a nice meal.

10-22-2010 23:23:59 | More by yobeerman
BrahnSolo

3.6/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz Bottle poured into Maudite snifter.

Dark brown body letting little light through. Nice thick light tan head that slowly dissipates.

Nose is light roast, rich coffee, creamy chocolate (Hershey's Syrup). Smells great.

Taste's exactly as it smells. At first its very sweet, but then the coffee takes over and battles back with a bitter aftertaste. Creamy and silky smooth, coffee, dark and sweet chocolates, caramel, and milk sugar dominate, slight hop kick midway through but it doesn't last long.

Very sticky mouthfeel. Fully coats the entire mouth and sticks around.

Goes down a little too easy at 11.2% ABV. Overall a good dessert beer, a little too sweet for my tastes, but it has it's place and time. Second go with this one and it has grown a little on me since the first time.

10-10-2011 04:31:22 | More by BrahnSolo
Beerquester

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I guess I'm biased but this is still one of my favorite beers. I bought a bottle at Wegman's (local grocery store). It cost only $7.99 for the bomber bottle which i thought was reasonable for an imperial beer that does a fine job of combining chocolate and coffee flavors. I haven't had one for a few years so I thought I'd try it though I wondered would it be as good. I was not disappointed, however.

Out of the bottle i had a knock your socks off aroma of chocolate. The coffee aroma was there though not as strong as the chocolate. It poured up a nice thick tan head with retention average. The wonderful aroma just won't die and keeps coming out of the glass. I wish they sold this flavor in air fresheners!

Carbonation spot on for this beer. Full body, slightly "chewy", ending with an warm alcohol sensation, not surprising for an 11.2% beer. Flavor profile includes the chocolate and coffee flavors, and some caramel.

I have had both the Jahva and Choklat separately and feel I prefer the mix to either. Profile starts out really smooth then the alcohol hits, then a slight "roastiness", a fairly clean finish. Definitely on the "sweet side", not hoppy, to be enjoyed as a "dessert beer". But not too sweet I hasten to mention. I would consider purchasing a case of this beer.

p.s. I detected a flavor close to vanilla. I didn't want to mention it at first since it wasn't listed in the ingredients but i thought it was there and I see now some other people picked the flavor out as well so there you have it. A secret ingredient? A known mellowing/smoothing agent? Could be. Stranger things have happened in the beer world!

02-03-2013 00:30:47 | More by Beerquester
holco34

Georgia

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

I had this beer for the first time at The Fred Bar in Atlanta:

A: Almost black, 1 finger brown head

S: Smells like chocolate milk, coffee, caramel, vanilla

T: Tastes more like coffee than the strong chocolate smell but you can definitely taste the chocolate as well. Burnt malts. Alcohol taste is very present but doesn't taste like 11%

D: It's delicious! I couldn't drink it all night but it's perfect if you're just having 1 or 2 beers in a night. Good dessert beer.

I love this style and really like how Southern Tier isn't afraid to take chances and create good beers like no others you've tasted before.

09-18-2010 03:04:47 | More by holco34
QuantumPint

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Had this on tap at the local micro tonight (it's featured as one of the guest beers of the month).

A: Pitch black with a head smaller than one finger and poor retention. Still beautiful, though.

N: I read through some reviews before trying this, and noted the one about chocolate milk, and honestly thought it was a joke/exaggeration. Lo and behold, I take a whiff and it smells like: chocolate milk. I actually started laughing out loud in surprise. There's a little toasty malt, but mainly chocolate milk.

T: This one tastes more like a mudslide, especially when cold. Major chocolate up front with a more bitter taste with the alcohol burn on finish. A great sipping beer. Gets more of the biter/coffee notes as it warms.

M: It has a good deal of carbonation which, in my opinion, goes great with the sweet chocolate taste.

O: Drinking this puppy after dinner, and it's one hell of a dessert beer. I'm just starting to dive deeper into the stout scene, but this is already a favorite.

12-03-2011 01:32:09 | More by QuantumPint
ScottR

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

This is very much not my type of beer, but I'm reviewing it anyway -- and favorably, because it succeeds in what it sets out to do even though I don't care for it.

It pours a brilliantly dark (if you know what I mean) chocolate brown, almost black, with a light head and nice lacing. The aroma is filled with chocolate and coffee.

The taste is incredibly sweet and chocolatey, to the point that you can't taste the high ABV. Mouthfeel is thick almost to the point of chewiness. There's another load of chocolate in the finish.

I don't like it and I will never ever buy it again for myself; Founder's Breakfast Stout is just about my limit in the chocolate-and-coffee-flavored beer department. But hoo boy, if you want a deeply chocolatey mocha beer, this one fills the bill, and it's very well crafted. If that's your thing, you'll like this one.

09-14-2012 22:00:42 | More by ScottR