Mokah - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: DrinkinBuddy on 04-20-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mokah Alström Bros
Reviews: 714 | Hads: 2,154
4.37/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

9 month old bottle

Appearance- Pours jet black, opaque. One finger thick mocha, cinnamon colored head, bubbly, slightly creamy appearance. Moderate lacing on sides of glass.
Aroma- Rich, cold coffee grounds and deep dark chocolates emit a pleasant bitterness. Some sweet milk chocolate aromas as well, also some nice roasted malts and a certain marshmellow aroma.
Taste- Intense milk chocolate and dark chocolate flavors, incredibly decadent and sweet. Bitter, roasty coffee comes through and lingers into aftertastes. Roasted malts, thick and creamy sweetness.
Mouthfeel- Medium to full bodied, thick and creamy. Moderate level of carbonation.
Overall- Wonderful chocolate flavors dominate, milk chocolate sweetness counterbalanced by dark chocolate and roasty coffee bitterness. Wonderful creamy quality to this beer, almost an airy marshmellow flavor and quality floats through. Not overly sweet, but decadent and rich. (923 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from bomber to tulip.

A: Opaque, black, with maybe a touch of ruby highlight around the edges of the glass. Small tight tan head that shrinks to a small ring around the glass and a light film atop the beer. Little to no lacing.

S: Unmistakably mocha - smells like chocolate milk and a frappaccino with a touch of dark sticky fruit and vanilla as well. Soooo tasty! Can't wait to dive into this one. Little to no alcohol presence on the nose.

T: Exactly what you'd expect from the nose, but possibly even more delicious. Loads of chocolate and smooth coffee. Flavors keep bouncing back and forth between the chocolate and coffee, never veering too much into sweet or bitter territories but staying in perfect balance. Finishes bittersweet, a touch more on the bitter side, and tastes of delicious, silky milk chocolate and oh-so-smooth, perfectly roasted coffee. The chocolate and "craft" coffee lovers in me are in heaven. The alcohol is incredibly well-hidden here. There is definitely a warming characteristic, but I can't detect the booziness in the flavor.

M: Big, rich and creamy, with bright carbonation that keeps this beer from feeling too heavy. I'd say it might be just a tad too effervescent, but I like my beers quite thick compared to most. Slightly oily. Coats the mouth well.

D: Simply an absolutely delicious beer. I polished off a bomber on my own and if not for the 11% ABV I could easily drink another. The high alcohol content is incredibly well masked, which can easily lead to trouble if you're not careful with this one since it's just so incredibly delicious. Outstanding. Compared to its cousin "Jahva" (which is no slouch), this brew is in a league of its own. (1,698 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours pretty dark although not completely black. I poured this one pretty aggressively and got a massive three finger tan head. The head dissipated to a thin ring of lace that stuck around. The aroma is magnificent. At the forefront I get tons of semi-sweet chocolate followed by coffee. The taste mirrors the smell. A nice blend of chocolate and coffee, but the chocolate comes through more. Not as sweet as I anticipated. I was expecting a cloyingly sweet beer but am pleasantly surprised in how easy it is to drink this. Mouthfeel is good, but I was expecting a thicker body. Carbonation is perfect for the style. Overall, very delicious double. I cannot detect the 11.2% abv which is surprising. This is clearly a dessert beer, but not nearly as heavy as one might expect. Not overly complex as the only flavors are chocolate and coffee, but a decadent brew nonetheless. (874 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Wow, this beer is good. I had mediocre expectations and the beer blew everything I thought a mocha inspired beer could be. I've never tasted so much chocolate in a beer. It was delightful.

It pours a deep dark brown almost black with minimal head but good lacing when filling my gold rimmed tulip glass.

It smells delicious. Lots of chocolate, a touch of coffee, some caramelized sugar, a bit of vanilla. Simply magnificent smelling.

It tastes the same as it smells, a feat in itself. As I mentioned before, it's so strong with the chocolate and that makes it amazing in my eyes. I get coffee and vanilla, caramelized sugar. This actually reminds me more of creme brulee than their beer of the same name.

The mouthfeel was great as well. Medium in body but the wash reminded me of drinking chocolate milk made from the powder, which in this case was a good thing.

Overall, I think this beer is fantastic. I wish I grabbed more bottles because I could drink one anytime the temp drops below freezing. (1,009 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

A: Poured dark ruby / Brown. Creamy light tan head w/ slight head retention as consumed / lite persistance.

A: Sweet Dark Chocolate, Coffee, Caramel. No hop aroma. Pretty straightforward.

F: Flavor matches the nose, sweet chocolate upfront and finishes with a light coffee / espresso.

M: Medium-Heavy body and mouthfeel and light carbonation. Drinks incredibly smooth. Light alcohol warmth. Drinks a little boozy.

O: This is an amazing beer. A little more carbonation to enhance the creamy feel and this would be perfectly on point. Would do well pairing with some awesome dessert dishes. I love the blend and they pulled this one off very well. (652 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +16.6%

The Headkeeper Inn and Tapas bar in Greensburg,PA had this on tap so I had to try it while I was in there.

Poured into a snifter almost pitch black but still dark brown. thin layer of beige head leaves excellent lacing.

The smell is like chocolate milk. It's definitely bigger on the chocolate flavors than the coffee.

Everyone would like this beer. It's a taste reminisent of Hershey's chocolate syrup. The most milk chocolately beer I've ever had (most have more dark chocolate or coffee flavors). Milky, moreso than most. Surprisingly drinkable for the high abv.

Finishes off milky and a tad dry but so excellent and chocolately. Not a lot of coffee but its there.

This is the best stout I've ever had to date. I like my stouts heavier on chocolate than coffee and it reflects my rating. I honestly don't think they could improve this in any way. (854 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured into my "liberated" McNeill's pint glass

A - Pours a deep mahogany with a thin white head

S - yummm, smells like toasty mocha!

T - Oh. Wow. This is stupendous! I'm a sucker for any kind of flavored stout, especially coffee and chocolate. Smooth coffee taste with hint of chocolate. I am in love.

M - Medium, pretty smooth

D - This is a bit dark or I would straight chug it. Into my belly you go little bomber.

Thanks to BobCS for this one!! You must have read my mind. (481 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer pours opaque black with little to no espresso froth colored foam. Mild to little carbonation. Smell is pronounced milk chocolate with some background notes of cacao/espresso. Does not smell like beer. Flavor is sweet, chocolate frothy malted milkshake at first with an intense bitter twang to finish. Smooth, not overall thick, yet clings to the cheeks like milk. Really delicious overall, ultimate nightcap. (413 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

22 oz bottle poured into pint glass is pitch black with a thick off white head that slowly subsides into lace. Strong aroma of bitter chocolate, coffee, vanilla, alcohol, and spices. Taste is intensely sweet malt followed by strong coffee and cocoa flavors, with an alcohol finishing presence. Carbonation is low and feels rich and milky. The alcohol makes it a sipper for sure.

According to the bottle it's a combination of Choklat and Java, and I think the sum is more than the parts, this really is an incredible combination of flavors and one of the most unusual and satisfying brews I've had. Well worth the price and this would make an incredible desert. (662 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured into a snifter

A - black, not much passes into this one, pretty much like all stouts. Barely any head and dissipates almost immediately.

S - bittersweet chocolate, coffee....pure vanilla extract...combined outside of a beer this is an excellent combo; but mixed with a hoppy presence it takes something away.

T - this is definitely mocha, with a very good balance of hops. The perfect amount of IBU's for a beer like this.

M - very smooth, good carbonation. Nice hop presence.

D - the abv is hidden deceptively well in this and I had no problem polishing off a 650ml in no time. It's good for a dessert beer, but give me Old Rasputin instead. I don't think this beer deserves the hype it gets but it's good. (721 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to dpowers for sending this one my way.

A - Brown with a slight coffee colored head.

S - Chocolate syrup with not much coffee in there. Smells sweet but I like it.

T - Sweet chocolate dominates the first taste then fades to some coffee. Some roasted malt with alcohol at the end.

M - For a double stout, I think that it should be thicker. Medium to heavy carbonation but creamy nonetheless.

D - Very drinkable for 11%. The alcohol is well hidden and the sweetness isn't overpowering.

I'm not sure that this is a double stout. I'd probably put it more in the sweet stout category. And I'd make it my favorite sweet stout. Maybe Imperial Sweet Stout? (661 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

I really am impressed by the appearance of this beer. The way the bubbles shoot to the top and the fact that the head retention is perfect, I think that it is carbonated very well. Black body and a cream color head that quickley turns into a whip cream consistency. Lacing perfect. Color perfect. Appearance perfect.

s- I can smell that this beer has been brewed with chocolate. It is so upfront that I cant smell the other aromas around it. This beer definately delivers what it is trying to. I already know that its name lives up to its flavor.

t- wow the flavor of this beer doesnt at all dissapoint. The chocolate flavor doesnt hit you right away, instead waits for the moment of bitterness and substitutes it with sweetness. I am in shock that this beer is 11% alcohol, goes down like chocolate milk.

m- perfectly carbonated with a creamy feel to it. The beer is like silk. I am getting impressed more and more with this beer. (934 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

A: pitch black with a 1finger light tan head
S: a strong nose of chocolate, light coffee, vanilla, dark fruits vaguely emanating from my snifter and booze
T: mainly chocolate and some coffee with a hint of dark fruit. Booze finishes the end but its a welcomed booziness as there isn't a heat and it's smooth.
M: silky and almost like milk chocolate. Very fitting. Not a lot of carbonation.
O: think I may have gotten an older bottle but its still enjoyable. Gonna look for a fresh bottle soon. Or try and recreate this blend with the jahva and chocolate stouts from southern tier. (580 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

A delicious blending of Jah-Va and Choklat from Southern tier. The coffee comes through with a nice balance of chocolate. A little on the sweet side but well balanced with the coffee. A great dessert beer that can even be the final course in a dinner. I highly recommend this beer and it is a welcome addition to
STBC line-up of Blackwater Imperial Stouts series. (364 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -22.7%

This beer has a pitch black appearance and thick head upon first pour that dissipates to nothing. The mouthfeel is think and creamy. There are some really nice chocolate and coffee notes in the taste, but to me, the flavor of the alcohol is not masked well. I can smell it in the glass and it over powers the other flavors of the beer. It is 11% so it is certainly a strong beer, but I do not like the boozy quality that only gets worse as the beer warms up. I want to work through the ST Imperial Series. I enjoyed Pumking and Big Red, but I do not think I will get this one again. I hope Chokolat, Javah, and Creme Brule are better. (634 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Dark black, poured into a snifter. Brown on the edges when held to light. Semi-thick brown head. Hard to see too many specifics on appearance, as the bar I drank it in was too dark.

Aroma is of heavy milk-chocolate. Sweet nose, with obvious coffee smells included. It smells exactly like its name: Mocha. Really a great nose. Everything a dessert beer should be, rich and decadent!

Palate: Amazing. Full bodied chocolate and coffee flavors. Hints of alcohol (11% ABV comes through nicely). Caramel and subtle hoppy bitterness on the finish. Compliments the cocoa flavor perfectly!

Intense and flavorful, each sip brings some new complexity. A sweet beer, which may make it hard to drink for some, this is a beer to be shared and sipped slowly, perhaps with a canoli? or tiarmisu? Really a tasty beer. Hats off to Southern Tier. (833 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -2.2%

4/8/14 vintage. Stored at 46° in beer fridge. Pours jet black with light brown head. Decent head that dissapates moderately with solid lacing. Rich milk chocolate nose, cocoa malt, light roasty notes. Taste is semi sweet chocolate that is followed with a milky cream note, roasty malt comes through, then layered with dark chocolate, and finishes with bitterness that comes from coffee and dark chocolate backbone. Not getting a lot of coffee/"Mokah" but the semi bitterness from coffee is there. Body is lighter, semi syrupy, and easy to drink. A rich, silky smooth, and tasty imperial stout that has milk stout qualities. A great stout offering that was worth saving. (671 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

on tap at the office: poured into a delerium tulip, yields a tan two finger head that hangs around. not much lacing noticed throughout. the body is a nice obsidian black, with no light passing through. filtered? who knows.

wow this thing smells awesome! right away chocolate. vanilla. coffee. some roasted malt. alcohol. it all blends to a really nice aroma. i kept on simply smelling this thing in the tulip throughout (which had some barflies wondering what i was doing).

the taste matches the aroma. man, it's sweet chocolate, coffee and a bit of roasty, with an underlying vanilla and sweet cream taste. there is some alcohol taste in there, but it's easily overpowered by all these other guys. no bitterness here really, but it works for what they were aiming for.

full bodied and thick. again, this is good for the flavor profile. i'd not like it to be thin, it would seem really strange.

this is a very very sweet bomb of a brew. don't ask how, but i did have two in one sitting. and i was rather goofy feeling afterwards. like a kid who had too many milkshakes. one should have been enough, but i wanted to catch that aroma and flavor again. (1,153 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

Appears black and murky with minimal head. Aroma is almost purely chocolate with a touch of alcohol. No discernable hops in aroma or taste.
Taste is overwhelmingly chocolate, as well. I can't say that I'm getting much, if any, coffee. There is the expected roastiness. The chocolate really lingers.
Mouthfeel is velvety thick.
While this is a very enjoyable beer, its strength and thickness make it a slow sipper. (413 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

22oz bottle poured into goblet

Appearance: BLACK as night; 1" of tan foamy head

Aroma: Dark chocolate/cocoa; boozy

Taste: Very malty! Sweet chocolatey flavor up front w/ a touch of bitter/roasty coffee that lingers on in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Very viscous; moderate alcohol warmth; soft subtle carbonation (313 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours complete darkness into a snifter with nice 2 finger dark brown head. Smells like chocolate syrup with some twangy alcohol scents. Taste is in your face kick you in the pallet chocolate followed by a nice roasted coffee bitterness. Mouthfeel is extremely smooth, thick, and oily with little carbonation. Alcohol can be felt warming your guts while this oil slick makes it's way to your stomach so I'm going with a 4. Very tasty brew. Play on ST. Phin, Paul, and Jared, nice job!!! (485 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -1.4%

22oz Bomber poured on my snifter glass.

A: Dark brown with a medium dark tan head. Had no lacing to speak off in my glass.

S: Chocolate!!! The first whiff I took was dark chocolate and faint coffee in the background...hops (Chinook/Columbus) are an after thought IMO (on the nose).

T: The first sip was dark bakers chocolate and Espresso coffee. I got a bit of the hop's bitterness while cold, but as it warmed up they faded away.

M: Nice and creamy with a full body. The warmth/spiciness of the alcohol kinda' pinched my throat at first, but mellowed out nicely.

D: This beer is very good and I will definitely buy it again, however, the 11% ABV makes this a weekend sharing experience, not a Thursday dinner brew.

I really enjoyed the aroma of this beer and I would recommend it as a dessert beer. Pair it with a German chocolate cake or a Marble Cherry Cheesecake!!! AWESOME!!!

Salud! (896 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Had this on tap at the local micro tonight (it's featured as one of the guest beers of the month).

A: Pitch black with a head smaller than one finger and poor retention. Still beautiful, though.

N: I read through some reviews before trying this, and noted the one about chocolate milk, and honestly thought it was a joke/exaggeration. Lo and behold, I take a whiff and it smells like: chocolate milk. I actually started laughing out loud in surprise. There's a little toasty malt, but mainly chocolate milk.

T: This one tastes more like a mudslide, especially when cold. Major chocolate up front with a more bitter taste with the alcohol burn on finish. A great sipping beer. Gets more of the biter/coffee notes as it warms.

M: It has a good deal of carbonation which, in my opinion, goes great with the sweet chocolate taste.

O: Drinking this puppy after dinner, and it's one hell of a dessert beer. I'm just starting to dive deeper into the stout scene, but this is already a favorite. (994 characters)

What a treat. Just as it sounds, and has lived it up to what I thought it would taste like. Pitch dark. Poured into a tulip glass. The aromas of chocolate danced in the glass. Swirled with a nice head that slowly disappeared. The sweetness melts in your mouth, and goes down smoothly. High ABV hidden by it's sweetness. Served at slightly cooler than room temp. Dessert beer for sure. Something to share and enjoy with a friend. (428 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

22oz bottle - ~$10

Pours jetblack with a 1 finger head which dissapated pretty quickly. the smell is awesome, hints of vanilla chocolate and coffee. it smells like breakfast. tastes like theres a lot of choklat and not as much jahvah. its really good. very sweet syrupy chocolate and coffee taste. the after taste is a little bitter, but pleasant. a really sweet beer, very tasty. i really enjoy these ST beers but sometimes i wonder if they should just start calling them malt beverages. Slow Sipper, share with a friend. (523 characters)

Mokah from Southern Tier Brewing Company