Mokah - Southern Tier Brewing Company

MokahMokah

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DrinkinBuddy on 04-20-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mokah Alström Bros
deereless

Colorado

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Dark black to ebony colored beer, only a hint of light passes at the edge of the glass, mildly frothy head, some visible viscosity to the beer, there are minor patches of stick foam along the edges - 4.25, S: The chocolate and coffee that are mentioned on the label dominate the nose, there is a powdery sweetness that reminds me of Nestle Quik, slightly herbal - 4.50, T: A thick syrupy sweetness to the beer, alcohol is noticeable but considering that it is 11.0% it is remarkably well hidden, as expected chocolate and espresso command the palate, some pitted fruit flavors such as plums and possibly peach, a touch of raisin and vanilla is also noticeable, an exceptional beer - 4.50, M: Extremely creamy and thick - 4.25, D: Very drinkable even at the high alcohol content, rivals their Chokolat Stout beer, complex and a beer that I would unquestionably drink again - 4.50

08-15-2009 00:34:51 | More by deereless
generallee

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 650ml bottle into a snifter. There is no freshness date or born on date on the bottle.

Appearance: Its body has a very dark brown/black color that blocks out all light. The head on top is thick and foamy with a creamy tan color. It hangs on well as it slowly fades down to thin wispy layer that leaves behind some slick lacing.

Smell: The aroma has a big sweet and creamy chocolate and roasted grain scent with a hint of dark roasted coffee. Also there is very noticeable boozy alcohol presence.

Taste/Mouth: The flavor has a big bold and boozy character. It has sweet roasted malts with loads sweet milk chocolate, warming alcohol and a slow finish of dark coffee with cream. The finish also has just a light hint of hop bitterness as well. The palate has a big full body with a velvety smooth texture and active yet smooth carbonation.

Notes: This is a huge beer with big bold flavor and hefty 11%abv.

08-14-2009 21:18:11 | More by generallee
thequeen711

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Poured a deep rich chocolate, barely a head, leaving fine lacing. Nose of chocolate, chocolate, chocolate! Mouthfeel alcohol and light, the ABV comes in at 11% and is very obvious. Easy drinkability, but the high alcohol content makes deters from drinking to quench the thirst. There is a slight hint of coffee, and a creamy sweetness to the aftertaste. Another smooth, great tasting brew from the folks at Southern Tier.

08-13-2009 00:19:49 | More by thequeen711
Kadonny

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured from tap at Capones in Norristown into a tasting glass.

A: A dark brown almost black color with a light brown one finger head. Nice glass lacing.

S: Sweet milk chocolate with a hint of darker coffee. Sweetness really jumps out.

T: First taste is of sweet chocolate with milk chocolate and cocoa flavors. Rich deep sweetness comes mid palate and the dark coffee flavors settle in the back. Very rich, more chocolate flavor emerges as it warms. I can definitely taste more of the Choklat than the Jahva.

M: Full, coating and the alcohol really emerges as it warms, maybe too much.

D: Medium at best, just too sweet and boozy for my tastes.

Overall I'm glad I tried this beer, but no way it would or could be a regular drinker for me, it's just over the top. I like what they are doing, but these massive sweet beers are very limited in when and how you drink them.

08-11-2009 17:35:46 | More by Kadonny
scruffwhor

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Very nice, one finger, tan head that slowly recedes to nothing. Very dark molasses brown with some molasses-like viscocity. Some black char colors, and no bubbling. Creamy caraml atop a sweet coffee and chocolate treat. Vanilla and milk chocolate with some gourmet, medium roast coffee aromas. Starts with a Starbucks coffee liquer blended well with milk and dark chocolate. The palate feels liquer warm yet sweet. While the finish is a combo of both the dark chocolate and roasted coffee bitterness. Very slow and soothig finish. Great warming and flavorful sipper.

08-11-2009 02:41:23 | More by scruffwhor
stevenseg

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

After tasting the Southern Tier Creme Brulee on draft at a local establishment here in my city of Columbus, Ohio, I decided that more Southern Tier should follow. Touted as a merging of Southern Tier's Jahva and Choklat, I picked up a 22 oz bottle of Mokah Imperial Stout from Southern Tier's Blackwater Series at a Michigan specialty store along with 25 oz of Dogfish Head Theobroma. The Mokah is first up carrying an 11% ABV.

As I poured into a pint glass, the head failed to form, so I increased the aggressiveness of the pour. In the end, the head climbed with big loose bubbles and receded very quickly. I'm staring here at a very dark and seemingly thick beer that appears flat with just a hint of lacing. We'll see how it hangs as it goes down.

The sniffage is about what I expected...very sweet with very little hops, but this is supposed to be an explosion of chocolate and coffee, not rival the bitter IPAs. It smells like a mudslide. Hopefully my love of chocolate and beer merge in the taste.

The first sip hit my palate with sweetness, which faded into the roast of the malt. The bitterness I tasted was only associated with the coffee and roast. I tasted very little coffee up front, but when the aftertaste settled in, it was pure coffee.

I am not sure whether intended the viscosity of this brew to be as thin as it is, but it did hold onto a bit of carbonation. It's not flat, but the carbonation is lame enough to let me experience the chocolate in a smooth fashion. No lacing has stuck to the glass this far, reaffirming the thinness of the beer.

Similar to the Creme Brulee, this is a 22 oz and done beer for me. It is so sweet and rich that it's good as a dessert beverage, but a night of drinking the Mokah would be a bit much for me. Plus, at 11% ABV this is a sipper, but that's OK since there is enough alcohol to feel the effects of a slowly nursed beer. Overall this was an after dinner treat that I would love to try on draft. I can't wait to pull more Southern Tier off the shelf.

08-11-2009 00:16:39 | More by stevenseg
boatshoes

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Tried this at the ACBF and thought it was great. Picked up a bottle at Capone's and thought I'd give it a real try and a review.

Appearance- Pours a pretty pitch shade of black with a very small amount of patchy brown head. Nothing to write home about, but not particularly bad looking either.

Smell- Lots of bitter coffee up front followed closely in second by dark chocolate. Smells like a bar of dark chocolate infused with espresso beans-not particularly surprising either given the blend of this beer! A very appetizing combination that reminded me very much of what I remembered about the flavor profile from the festival.

Taste- Not gonna lie, a bit of a letdown from my first impressions. Bitter coffee flavors overpower much of the dark chocolate that was present in the nose, leaving it only as a afterthought for me as the beer goes down the hatch along with some biting alcohol aftertaste. A much harsher and one sided blend of the two main flavors than I initially remembered from the festival. Is it possible that this would vary bottle to bottle or that this was a different batch? Not terrible by any means, but ended up tasting more like a weakened Jahva rather than the smoother mixture that I remembered.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is pretty solid on this beer and it is thick and chewy, though quite sticky. Very much a dessert mouthfeel. Drinkability was not great for me as I found the flavor mixtures too harsh to drink a lot of this, along with the fact that it is a heavy, sweet, dessert beer. Glad my lady friend was around to split the bomber with.

Overall, not bad but a letdown from my first experience with the beer. Found this to come across as a fairly harsh blend the second time through and would prefer to have either the Jahva or the Choklat instead on its own as a result.

08-10-2009 04:35:22 | More by boatshoes
OlieIPA

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured into my Bruery tulip glass.

A: Poured more brown than black...but settled into my tulip glass as expected...black. A nice light toffee colored head, that seemed to stand more than an inch tall, with pretty good lacing.

S: A strong mix of dark and milk chocolate...seriously, it's almost like smelling a chocolate milkshake from Ruby's...WOW! The coffee...or Jahva influence seems to be minimal on the overall aroma...but does add a somewhat nice complexity to the smell.

T: The coffee quality definitely takes over a bit more...with the initial taste being more coffee than chocolate. The sweet and bitter "Choklat" kick is more noticeable towards the middle and back end of the beer, which I think fits perfect.

M: Basically average for an Imperial Stout...full-body, a little harsh on the carbonation.

D: This is the third time I've had it...and I have to say, this beer grows more and more on me. Even at 11%, the alcohol is hidden pretty well and the flavor is rich.

Overall: Worse than Choklat, but better than Jahva. A must try. Cheers!

08-10-2009 03:17:38 | More by OlieIPA
Aenema

Maryland

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Appearance - Pours a deep black with a tan, 1 finger head. Minimal lacing.
Smell - Roasted malts, cocoa and coffee.
Taste - Lots of chocolate, transitioning to coffee and a lingering bitter finish.
Mouthfeel - Rich, smooth and creamy with a full body. Moderate carbonation.
Drinkability - Very rich and filling. 3

08-09-2009 19:39:15 | More by Aenema
TurdFurgison

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Another Southern Tier bomber, this time an apparent blend of Java and Chocolat stouts? After my experience with Creme Brule stout I was a little apprehensive but this turned out to be a successful experiment for ST.

The beer is Dark brown and opaque, just a hint of ruby-colored light gets through at the edges, relatively thin tan foam (several millimeters at most). The main aroma is chocolate, it smells like a chocolate shake. The taste is sweet, chocolate and malt, not much coffee to speak of but maybe in the slight bitter feel at the end of each sip. Too sweet to be sessionable, this is a dessert beer. The thick body adds to the impression of an alcoholic chocolate malt, really tasty and memorable. One is more than enough, the sweetness gets old before the bottle is empty.

08-09-2009 01:37:11 | More by TurdFurgison
aewinte1

Arizona

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

A- pitch black, 1" tan head
S- Smells like a chocolate malt shake. Smell is dominated by a hersheys syrup type smell. Really cant detect much besides a hint of coffee and a ton of fudgey sweet chocolate
T- Chocolate malt in beer form. Coffee is somewhat subtle. Chocolate is not the typical bittersweet chocolate taste found in beers, but more of a sweet hersheys milk chocolate taste. Chocolate is rather cloying but unique.
M- Carbonation is so-so. No lacing to speak of
D- By the end the chocolate is completely overpowering. Alcohol isn't very strong or easily detected but I don't think I can handle another chocolate malt milk shake right now.
Overall, A super sweet chocolatey stout. Not necessarily for me, but something new and different. Was very good, but for a bomber it was pretty cloying sweetness by the end. Good in moderation, but can be somewhat overpowering.

08-09-2009 00:59:09 | More by aewinte1
scottyshades

3.03/5  rDev -27.9%

A: Pours a rich, thick, syrupy black color that slowly builds a nice big mocha color head...how fitting. Pretty awesome lacing along the glass. Nice lookin brew.

S: Chocolate, lactose, milk, cocoa, molasses, raisins (chocolate covered), caramel, and coffee that gives it a bittering aroma.

T: Very chocolaty, very sweet and definitely lactose infused. Perhaps a little too sweet for me, almost tastes like a cold chocolate malt milkshake.

MF/D: Low carbonation, full body, long chocolaty finish.

A little overdone for me, beware of its richness. Something just didn't sit right and it made me (and my Dad) feel sick from the sweetness, but we will see next time I can grab one.

08-09-2009 00:10:07 | More by scottyshades
washburnkid

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Thanks again to jdmek9, my east coast beer supplier!

Black brew with a small tan head that faded quickly. Aromas are all chocolate milk, momentarily taking me back to my nesquick days. Flavors are huge chocolate and some unbelievably pronounced dark berries. The vanilla melds nicely with the chocolate, and a mint flavor pulls through with a bit of warmth. Wow...like mint chocolate chip ice cream! Viscuous mouthfeel. This is a really wonderful brew. One that deserves sipping with undivided attention, and maybe a brownie.

08-06-2009 05:23:04 | More by washburnkid
jmalex

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

Some people think these imperial stouts from Southern Tier are just too much. Me? I can't get enough of 'em!

Pours a deep brown (not black) into my Duvel tulip. As the loose, tan head forms, the chocolate aromas are already hitting my nose. A closer nasal inspection yields equal parts chocolate, nutty coffee, and boozy alcohol. Yep, the perils of an 11% stout. By now, the head is down to a full cap of foam and going no lower.

The flavor yields more of the massive chocolate and coffee, but it's the latter that takes the forefront. A bit of a bready base beer comes through as well and is a welcome taste. The alcohol isn't nearly as prevalent though still a bit detectable. In the finish, the coffee continues to dominate and sticks around long afterward. For being so robust, there isn't a whole lot of complexity in this. It basically tastes like INGREDIENTS.

Meanwhile, the mouthfeel is massive thick as one would expect. It's fairly slick though a higher-than-low carbonation serves very well to lighten it up quite a bit, aiding in drinkability. That said, this will be an all-night sipper.

A fine choice though it may be my least favorite of the Blackwater stouts. I'd say if you like Jah-va, you'll like this one as well.

08-04-2009 01:25:39 | More by jmalex
BedetheVenerable

Missouri

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Presentation: 24oz brown pop top bomber with nice label with a ditty about the beer and a list of ingredients (I love it when breweries do this)

Appearance: Ultra dark brown near black beer with BARELY any light penetrating even the edges when held up to a lamp...a hard pour produces a medium dark cream head that fades to a thick film with pretty good retention

Smell: Straight up old-fashioned chocolate cream soda like my grandma always had around for us when we were kids...simple, odd, and nice...there's just the barest hint of coffee in the background

Taste: Quite a bit more roasted coffee present in the flavor than in the aroma...there's a nice balance of light cocoa and coffee, with more bittersweet chocolate coming through on the finish...this is not the chocolate cream soda bomb that it is on tap; it's more balanced, with a little more roasted bitterness in the finish...a touch of alcohol present as well

Mouthfeel: Thick, a touch hot and alcoholic, but not over-the-top by any means, especially at 11%abv

Drinkability: 1 bomber was perfect for dessert split between me and the wife

Conclusion: A different animal than on tap; I actually think I like the bottled version better...great dessert beer, served this one with dark Belgian chocolate with espresso beans

08-03-2009 04:10:33 | More by BedetheVenerable
EvilPumpkin

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured a 22 oz. into a tulip glass

A: A very attractive incredibly dark brown, almost black. Dark tan head shows up for a moment but quickly escapes in my Bell's tulip glass. Little head leads to no lacing.

S: The smell catches me off guard with its mellowness. The last ST I had was the Crème Brulee which had a much stronger smell. The coffee and chocolate notes mix well but the chocolate is overall more noticeable. Slight hints of caramel, like chocolate sweetened with caramel.

T: The taste is also carried by the bittersweet chocolate. Initially the chocolate commands the taste but the coffee notes come in strong immediately afterwards followed by a noticeable sweetness. The 11% alcohol also makes an appearance with a lingering taste. The lingering taste is the bitterness of the chocolate, coffee and the alcohol. Overall the flavor is fuller and more pleasant up front than in the lingering notes.

M: When the beer first touches my lips I fell in love with the thickness of this brew. Silky yet with enough carbonation to tickle the tongue. Great mouthfeel.

D: As with the last ST Blackwater Series Stout I had, the Crème Brulee, this beer demands to be had slowly, as the bitterness from the coffee and chocolate together can become too much when sips are spaced too close together. As with the Creme Brulee, large sips spaced well apart really lend well to the flavors of this beer.

I've been missing ST's Choklat since I first had it in New York a year and a half ago and the Mokah fulfilled my desire for some chocolaty goodness from Southern Tier. A very enjoyable beer.

08-01-2009 22:59:03 | More by EvilPumpkin
birchstick

Colorado

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Another on-tap beer from Kelleher's in Peoria, Il.

A - dark with a one-finger head

S - this thing smells like a chocolate milk shake. I never would have expected this from a beer...definitely not what my nose was expecting.

T - tastes like a chocolate milk shake. Milk chocolate fades into some sweet malts, which then follows up with some dark chocolate and a bit of bitter acidity from some coffee flavors. I never thought I would taste this chocolaty of a beer without being over the top. Really nice flavor profile.

M - smooth but a little thin. I wish this was a little bit more full.

D - This is a great beer. ST is really hit or miss for me and this beer was a big hit. I will be buying some bottles of this soon...

07-31-2009 05:32:14 | More by birchstick
dismal

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Had this one on tap before so I ended up picking up a bottle of it the other day. From the bomber to a pint glass pours a black color (with very little ruby highlights when held up to the light) with a small light tan colored head that quickly goes to just a small ring. Leaves little to no lacing down the glass. The smell right away is mainly chocolate with some coffee. Mainly it's just the chocolate and a very sweet smelling chocolate. There is something else sweet in there too, vanilla or caramel? Either way the smell is very sweet and nice. Taste is the same. From the name I was expecting more coffee upfront but it's almost all chocolate with a hint of coffee in there. Delicious to say the least. The alcohol is hidden rather well and with a higher ABV it could be dangerous! I'll have no problem finishing this bomber though and I'll enjoy every drop. Overall an excellent beer. Both on tap and in bottle, I'm going to grab a few more of these next time I'm on a beer run.

07-31-2009 04:21:49 | More by dismal
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Thanks to koopa for this one, cheers Dennis!

Pours an effervescent mahogany with 2 fingers of, well mocha colored head. Above average lacing & a trace of head retention

S: Cream, cocoa & coffee, plus grinds, fades a bit a the end, pus a touch of booze

T: Roasty malt, cocoa, chicory, along with dryness & dark chcolate up front. As this warms, I get juicy, singed grain, coffee grinds & dark chocolate, plus a touch of iron & booze. Finishes warming, choclately, with juicy grain, charred grain & vanilla & toffee

MF: Smooth, semi-chewy, skews sweet, but is working for me

Drinks a touch slow between the ABV & heft. I am loving this for what it is, not for everyone I'm sure, but in my wheelhouse! Maybe my ultimate dessert/breakfast beer??? Nah, but close

07-31-2009 03:16:45 | More by russpowell
BMoney575

3.78/5  rDev -10%

Sampled on 7-30-09

Pours super black, no light at all, even on the edges. Almost no head, and absolutely no lacing.

Smell is immense chocolate, sweet and bitter at the same time. Tons of vanilla, with a very young, sweet-stout aroma dominating. Super sweet, but very enjoyable.

Taste is all alcohol bite, with lots of sweet vanilla flavor. A little coffee is in there, right at the end, but the finish is all booze. Not as offensive as it might sound, just very young.

Mouthfeel is thick and very creamy, spot-on for the flavors.

Drinkability is not very good, the sharp alcohol and sweetness are a wicked combo.

Overall, a good beer, and I might have to pick up another one, to age for awhile.

07-30-2009 23:35:06 | More by BMoney575
Jayli

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Had on tap at The Publick House 7/24
This beer poured a thick, deep, opaque dark brown, boardering on black color. A thin 1/2 finger tan head formed on top that didn't last, spots of wispy lacing left. Nose is much richer on tap than from the bottle - more pronounced notes of rich blegian chocolate with a touch of coffee filtering its way in, notes of dark malts can also be picked up. The taste is of sweet belgian chocolate up front, moving in to some the darker, more roasted malts, and finishing out with coffee notes - subtle yet very present. Alchol content is extremely well hidden. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy actually almost a velvety feel, full/heavy bodied, very light carbonation. This is one of my favorite offerings from Southern Tier and is even better on tap than bottled.

07-30-2009 18:29:24 | More by Jayli
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Something of a choklat/jahva mix that works very well. It looks as an imperial stout should, with its dark brown, bordering on black, pour and off-white head. Decent retention and sticky lace ensue. The aroma is full of wow. Overpoweringly rich chocolate and coffee mingles to create a perfect replica of a damn good cafe mocha. This is continued over into the flavour, and I think is a more accurate take on a mocha than creme brulee was on its intended dose of sweetness. Talking of sweetness... its here in good amounts, along with a good dose of alcohol. Its a little hot yet, and I'd advise those who have it to kick back for a while before opening. Warming, rich and thick the mouthfeel suits the beer and its weight very well indeed, but adds to the overall impression that this is a sipper.

Awesome.

07-29-2009 14:09:56 | More by bobsy
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

What a nice treat on a 90 degree summer day. I found this at the local could not pass it up.
Pours a solid black with a thinnish tan head that dissipates quickly. Smells of chocolate syrup, alcohol, coffee, toffee, and caramel. Taste is of chocolate syrup, toffee, caramel. Lots of sweetness in this one. A little alcohol burn mid to end with a lingering alcohol and bitter hop finish. Thick body, chewy with a bit of a syrupy feel. Low carbonation. This is not my favorite from the black water series, but certainly drinkable. I would put this one in the same realm as the creme brulee to be enjoyed as a desert beer.

07-28-2009 22:51:39 | More by johnnnniee
BuffaloTapHugger

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Poured 22 oz bomber into a 12 oz tumbler.

A: Pitch midnight black in color, nice caramel head and some tubular lacing.

S: Some semi-sweet chocolate off the bat, cocoa beans, rich coffee beans, molasses, and caramelized sugar round it off.

T: Spectacular! Little bit of both worlds in this one. The chocolate takes over the show, but the java flavors are subtle in the back. Little sweet in taste, makes it a nice sipper.

M: Full bodied, great carbonation action, abv noticeable but not overbearing, very sticky on the palate indeed.

D: Any more than 12 oz is purely indulging. Great dessert beer if there ever was one. Brilliant night cap; better intended to sip than gulp.

Highly Recommended.

07-27-2009 22:07:55 | More by BuffaloTapHugger
kzoobrew

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours opaque black, creamy khaki colored head. Retention is minimal but does offer some lacing.

Strong chokolat aroma very noticeable up front. Less intense jahva aroma settles in behind. The smell is more on the artificial side but not offensive. Rather pleasant aroma overall.

The taste is much like the smell. Large Choklat flavors upfront with the jahva playing more of a complimentary role. There is a definite creaminess to the brew, reminds me of a better tasting yoohoo. Alcohol is slightly apparent but not enough to contribute any major contribution to the flavor.

Very smooth and creamy. Full bodied with appropriate carbonation.

Delicious beer that is far too drinkable. While drinking a beer which comes in a bomber you are usually not looking for something sessionable, this in no exception. Enjoyable and easy to drink from beginning to end.

07-24-2009 21:03:55 | More by kzoobrew