Mokah - Southern Tier Brewing Company

MokahMokah

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DrinkinBuddy on 04-20-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mokah Alström Bros

From notes 8-25-09

Knowing that this is a combination of the two-Jahva and Choklat-I'll see how much in balance they are and how well these two have been combined

Eye: Opaque and black, what else can you expect? Head has a nice size good retention and formation, lacing appears nice...all in all its a creamy tan. Looks better than the Jahva from earlier today.

Nose: Oh, that big chocolate that is oh so familiar from Choklat is present here, like melted/liquid chocolate and its the extra expensive kind...it beats the shit out of Hershey's. Nose is mostly akin to that of Choklat. Sweet dark fruit is present, fruitiness here reminds me of Queen Anne's Chocolate Covered Cherries. All in all great, hopefully the coffee comes through more in the flavor. So far no qualms as the Jahva the coffee didn't come through that much in the aroma.

Tongue: Chocolate flavor is strong (no complaints) and is accompained by the driness of the coffee beans. Sweetness from the chocolate is nicely countered by the bitterness of the beans and the roasty flavor that comes from them. At first sweetness is so upfront you can't get anything else. After the second sip it becomes more balanced and more complex. The palate gets more. Its balanced between chocolate and coffee very nicely. The best of both worlds.

Feel and Drinkability: Feel is nice, lighter in carbonation than the Jahva which works very well, too high would kill the chocolate in here. Feel in heavy (but lighter than both the Jahva and Choklat at the same time) and smooth too, just as are the two separate brews this comes from. Its not as smooth as the Choklat but smoother than the Jahva (Smooth as in velvety feel). This is very easy to drink, as aforementioned the best of both worlds. Very easy to drink and dangerous too. I'll be enjoying the rest of this bottle. I recommend this, highly recommend this. My choice of the three are Choklat, Mokah, Jahva.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I poured the beer into a pint glass. I noted coffee with cream colored foam, which faded over time. I could smell chocolate, but no coffee. First taste I noted more chocolate than anything. As I drank the beer, I picked up the coffee taste, the malt, the hops. The coffee taste was a little weaker than I would have liked for a coffee and chocolate beer. I didn't notice any alcohol burn, and only when I finished the bottle and felt a buzz did I look at the label to find the %ABV. I was surprised to see 10%. Overall, a very good beer.

Poured into my "liberated" McNeill's pint glass

A - Pours a deep mahogany with a thin white head

S - yummm, smells like toasty mocha!

T - Oh. Wow. This is stupendous! I'm a sucker for any kind of flavored stout, especially coffee and chocolate. Smooth coffee taste with hint of chocolate. I am in love.

M - Medium, pretty smooth

D - This is a bit dark or I would straight chug it. Into my belly you go little bomber.

Thanks to BobCS for this one!! You must have read my mind.

Mokah from Southern Tier Brewing Company