Mokah - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: DrinkinBuddy on 04-20-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mokah Alström Bros
2.84/5  rDev -32.5%

Appearance: Poured an opaque black, with a half-finger light brown head. Decent retention, reducing to a thin layer. Not much is the way of lacing.

Smell: Smells of chocolate, caramel, and dark fruit, with a smoky malt backing. Kind of like a tootsie roll, actually. Very boozy nose at first, with a whiskey like bite; 11% is noticeable in the smell.

Taste: Sweet and boozy, front and center. Alcohol bites hard to start, with a sweet dark fruit taste dominating. The alcohol bites the back of the throat as well, finishing with coffee flavors. The alcohol dominates the taste though; not well hidden at all.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Big alcohol bite. No carbonation.

Drinkability: Way too boozy of a stout for me. 11% is high, but it is not hidden at all. The beer almost stings. The chocolate and coffee flavors are nice, but not smooth like I like. Very difficult to drink.

2.88/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured into a snifter Mokah is nice black stout with a fat furry head . Aroma is sweet " moon pie " esque smell . Nice lacing on glass but after that, is where I have an issue with the brew. Tasting this over and over during MNF .The sweetness is too much .It is OK but not thick or chewy enough for my liking . It is not nasty but , this has been aged over a year and the flavors have not evened out. This is not Creme Brulee sweet but it is not my thing . Choklat is still my fav . If this had more of a coffee flavor then it would get a better grade . Good but not great .

Bottle from summer 2011.

Pours very dark brown, black in the glass, and rather sludgy. Minimal medium-tan head (despite a vigorous pour), gone in 60 seconds, but does leave some decent lacing. Looks flattish.

Smell is a wallop of syrupy sweet chocolate, with a bit of dry cocoa powder in there as well. Some hops lift it up late. But I get no coffee smell, and only a hint of the stout behind that big chocolate bomb.

Taste is more varied, but also a bit more offending. Starts out chocolatey, then comes on powerfully sweet, before finishing with an odd chemically combination of bitter and sweet. I've encountered this same odd character in other Southern Tier stouts, and I don't like it. Again, I get very little coffee at all. Taste drifts into a shiver-inducing bitterness as the alcohol kicks up. Overall, it's exceedingly sweet, with some strange flavors bouncing around on top of that artificial-sweetener background.

Mouthfeel: heavy body, pretty chewy, and very syrupy. Low carbonation, just enough to keep it from being flat. Works okay with the beer, but doesn't do it for me.

Dear Southern Tier: sometimes less is more. I've had a number of these big stouts, and I don't dig any of them. The ones I've had are all way overdone, with the same weird sweetness that tastes artificial. I wish they would let the characteristics of the other ingredients shine through more.

2.88/5  rDev -31.6%

I poured this one from a 22 oz. brown bomber bottle into a shaker pint glass.

A= This beer poured a very dark black-brown color with a 1" dark tan head. The head settled slowly and left some nice sticky lace down my glass. Unfortunately the appearance was this highlight of this beer.

S= Extremely chocolate-y in the nose. Smelled like chocolate pudding as its being cooked. Only a very slight bit of coffee in there.

T= Started off sweet and somehow got sweeter as each sip progressed. Nearly all of the flavor was sweet, rich milk chocolate. Near the finish, things dried out just a bit and a small roasted note emerged and then disappeared again under the chocolate onslaught. Cloying to say the least.

MF= Heavy side of medium bodied with a creamy, slippery mouthfeel and a moderate carbonation level.

D= This was a big disappointment for me. I usually like Southern Tier a lot and have enjoyed many of their more adventurous brews. This one really fell flat for me.

2.93/5  rDev -30.4%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter. A date of 17-01-09 on the bottle.

(A)- Pours a pitch dark black color that produced no head, just some tan bubbles/froth on the surface.

(S)- Mountains of brown sugar & vanilla. Very sugary sweet smelling. Tiny tidbits of coffee beans & chocolate in the far background.

(T)- Pretty similar to the smell. Lots of vanilla & brown sugar with an espresso-like chocolate creaminess on the finish. The smell foretold a giant sugary beer, but this is a little better balanced that that, but its still extremely sweet. Once this warms up, it becomes a rich milk chocolate bomb!

(M)- A good carbonation level for the style. Very sweet; very much a dessert beer. I wish I could taste more of the coffee that is lost behind the massively sweet milk chocolate. Am I being picky? Maybe. It gets very hot & boozy as it goes down.

(D)- Dont get me wrong, this tastes good; I just wish there was something more to it than an alcoholic milk chocolate shake. Very one-dimensional to me. If I had this again, it would definitely be as a replacement for dessert. Way too filling & sweet to me to enjoy fully on my own. Share a bottle with at least 2 people.

2.95/5  rDev -29.9%

On the nose, it's very sweet and chocolatey with a hint of coffee. It's not really all that different from Choklat to be honest. I think I'm in for another diabetes beer.

Unsurprisingly, it pours pitch black with a nice, dark brown head. Doesn't last too long, however.

Taste starts off with semi-sweet chocolate but turns pretty quickly to a strong, pretty bitter dark chocolate and coffee taste. The power of the bitter dark chocolate and coffee make me grimace a little bit. It actually seems more bitter dark chocolate than coffee, though. The aftertaste is pure roasted malt/coffee. Wowza.

Not my favorite, honestly. I just did not enjoy this as much as other offerings by ST. Thus far, in the Blackwater series, this is my least favorite.

2.96/5  rDev -29.7%

A: Pitch black with a 1 finger creamy slight tan head. Good head retention.

S: Dark chocolate, slight coffee, black strap.

T: Molasses, slight chocolate, bitterness, snappy finish. Alcohol is present and noticeably boozy.

M: Thick and well suited for the style. Although highly alcoholic this beer doesn't have any warming properties.

O: Eh...take it or leave it. I say leave it. There are a lot better Southern Tier beers out there.

3.03/5  rDev -28%

A: Pours a rich, thick, syrupy black color that slowly builds a nice big mocha color head...how fitting. Pretty awesome lacing along the glass. Nice lookin brew.

S: Chocolate, lactose, milk, cocoa, molasses, raisins (chocolate covered), caramel, and coffee that gives it a bittering aroma.

T: Very chocolaty, very sweet and definitely lactose infused. Perhaps a little too sweet for me, almost tastes like a cold chocolate malt milkshake.

MF/D: Low carbonation, full body, long chocolaty finish.

A little overdone for me, beware of its richness. Something just didn't sit right and it made me (and my Dad) feel sick from the sweetness, but we will see next time I can grab one.

3.06/5  rDev -27.3%

BOTTLE: 650ml. Brown glass. Appealing label art and design. Branded pry-off pressure cap.

Cost was $10.99. Reviewed live as an imperial stout since the label calls it a stout and it's 10% ABV (it seems unlikely this is merely an American stout).

Served cold into a pilsner glass at low altitude in Austin, TX, and allowed to warm over the course of consumption.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: Khaki colour. 1 finger wide. Not as smooth or even as would be ideal. The consistency isn't too creamy or soft-looking either. It's not particularly full, thick, or supple. Could use some fine-tuning. The complexion is pretty nice. Recedes fully within 2 minutes, leaving no lacing.

BODY: Opaque solid black. No yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Appears aptly carbonated. It looks pretty conventional for the style, but has no stand-out characteristics. Rather average.

AROMA: Walnut, pecan, caramelized nuts...that's unexpected. In fact, if they billed this as a peanut butter stout I'd probably buy it. Has a nice sugary character to it, with plenty of chocolate malts and schwarz malts/dark malts in there. Its chocolate character seems artificial; consulting the label, I note that an ingredient was "natural chocolate flavor" - which has me skeptical. Hershey's chocolate syrup comes to mind, but it's not fudgy or milk chocolate-y. Maybe the artificial chocolate lent it those nutty notes? I find no coffee at all - much to my shock; usually the notes promised on the front of Southern Tier's labels are always evoked beyond question (see Creme Brulee or Choklat). Speaking of which, where is the mokah? It's creamy, sure, but the absence of coffee is mind-boggling given this beer's name and premise.

The overriding artificial sweetness is a little off-putting, but the aroma is still evocative and interesting enough; I'm excited to try this but skeptical of the authenticity of its constituent notes.

No hop profile, booze, yeast character, or off-notes are detectable.

The absence of roasted barley is concerning, but overall I find it appealing. Aromatic intensity is mild.

TASTE: Hmm. That pesky artificial sweetness and artificial chocolate/Hershey's chocolate syrup is quite bothersome, and it's joined by a hint of marshmallow which doesn't really work. I find no coffee whatsoever, nor any mocha - to its detriment. And the absence of roasted barley is a deal-breaker. Has some generic cream, as well as the requisite chocolate malts and dark/schwarz malts. On the sweeter side for the style, sure, but not to the extent you might expect given this is a Southern Tier imperial stout. The nuttiness is nice, with hints of pecan, peanut, and maybe walnut.

It's too bad its constituent notes are inauthentic and artificial; the chocolate leaves a lot to be desired and the nuttiness is odd and overly caramelized. Moreover, I wish it had more character in general, and more depth. Some burnt, charred, or ashen character would help tame the sweetness a bit. Obviously, coffee is needed. It just needs more components to lend it bitterness.

Flavour duration and intensity are average. This isn't a particularly intricate or subtle imperial stout build, but when I regard it as an American stout I find myself liking it better. Maybe this is just a high ABV plain stout? It's cohesive, but it never tastes like a gestalt whole.

No yeast character, hops, or off-notes come through. The alcohol is slightly noticeable; this would be a better brew at about 8% or so.

TEXTURE: Artificially sleek, smooth, and wet - almost porter-like. Unrefreshing. Full-bodied. Not syrupy, fortunately. But I do find it a bit too thick and heavy on the palate for its relative lack of flavour (both in terms of depth and diversity). What does work is its creaminess, but it should be creamier and softer; isn't this supposed to be a mocha beer? This texture fails to elevate the beer, but suits the taste decently.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, harsh, rough, or scratchy.

Overall presence on the palate is above average.

OVERALL: A forgettable and generic offering from Southern Tier, Mokah is best regarded as a high alcohol American Stout. Its biggest disappointment is its gaping absence of the promised coffee note; did I get an old bottle? Artificial Hershey's chocolate syrup dominates to its detriment, and there's little else happening. I wouldn't buy it again, and I guess I'm in the minority saying I prefer Choklat. Say what you like about Creme Brulee; at least that beer delivered on its premise. This is drinkable, sure, but it's not worth its price at all and is more on par with what I'd expect from a Victory variety box. I'd recommend steering clear; it's not that it's bad, it's just that it's generic and overpriced. Not Southern Tier's strongest work, and far from anywhere near the level it would need to be to compete with even merely good offerings in the style (whether you consider it an American stout or an Imperial Stout).

Low C+

3.08/5  rDev -26.8%

22 oz. bomber split with spointon into pint glasses

Poured a deep black color with a one inch tan head that gradually faded, left some decent lacing behind.

Aroma was overly of chocolate, if the label didn't say coffee I wouldn't have guessed it actually had any. Maybe there was a slight hint. It was extremely sweet with something of a "creamy" smell to it.

Taste was extremely sweet again with only chocolate coming through. It was like chocolate milk with dark chocolate and a ton of sugar added. In the finish a slight roasted coffee edge tried to come out and overcome the sweetness but it ultimately failed.

Mouthfeel was pretty good, it was medium bodied, on the thick side, and quite creamy.

We both agreed that this beer kinda blew. It was very hard to drink and we struggled to finish the bomber between the two of us. It ended in a chug just so we wouldn't waste it. Very disappointing.

Mokah from Southern Tier Brewing Company