Mokah - Southern Tier Brewing Company

MokahMokah

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DrinkinBuddy on 04-20-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mokah Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev -17.3%

I hadn't had an imperial in a long while so I decided to step it up a notch and I've been discovering plenty of east coast breweries that can throw down so I had no bicoastal qualms going with Southern Tier.

Poured from the tap into a tulip the beer looked like motor oil with thick brown head that never left.

The nose is heavily dominated by chocolate and just a bit of coffee if you give the glass a swirl.

After the first sip I set the glass down and had to think if the bartender was fucking with me or not. It was definitely an imperial, no ethanol taste but unmistakably warming. Heavy, viscous chocolate flavor and very slight coffee bitter but the knee-jerk flavor that came to mind was Tootsie Roll. A break to let it warm up a bit added a little depth to the coffee flavor but it still remained dominated by chocolate. If Willy Wonka and Milton Hershey decided to collaborate and brew one beer this would probably be their labor of love. Half way through my glass my head was swimming and all I could think about was all the Halloweens I'd had too many Tootsie Rolls resulting in sugar headaches.

This beer is an amazing imperial, a supposed 50-50 blend of Southern Tier's Blackwater Imperial Series Jahva and Choklat, it delivers the distinct qualities of chocolate and coffee in the body of a big bad ass imperial.

If this beer was a person it would be Michael Clarke Duncan in The Green Mile when he played, wait for it, John Coffey. I would recommend splitting a bottle over dessert with 3 or 4 people.

3.48/5  rDev -17.3%

A- Pours dark brown with a large beige head.

S- Brownie batter and Hershey's syrup.

T- Hershey's syrup is the biggest flavor, followed by brownie batter and dark fruits (prunes, raisins).

M- Full bodied, and average carbonation.

D- This beer is so sweet, it is ridiculously hard to put down after more than a few sips. I'm glad I split a bottle with one of my buddies. There is no way I could drink a bottle by myself.

Overall, an interesting experience. I have never had a beer that resembles chocolate syrup as much as this. Not very complex at all...very focused on the flavors presented. Somewhat artificial tasting. It is hard to drink after 3-4 sips. Very reminiscent of a desert wine where you really like the first couple sips, but almost detest the rest of the glass due to the sweetness. A hard beer to rate because of this.

I am interested/nervous to try their choklat after having this.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was really black and poured a really this disappointing head. The beer smelled and tasted like oatmeal and was of course chocolaty. I liked the beer and will buy it again. It was expensive. The little bitty head was tan colored.

3.49/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a bottle picked up long ago in Olympia, WA.

Black and mostly dark brown color comes out, plenty of viscosity to this bad boy. Small lighter brown head on it, really tiny bubbles, inconsistent lace patchwork on the side of the glass. Aroma was a little more burnt malt and not enough coffee/espresso/mochawhatchacallit to cover up the substantial existence of alcohol booziness wafting up from the glass. But its good, but not great.

Taste, still plenty of heat. Cover up the heat, way too much acrid bitterness on this one. Mokah makes me think brown + cream, not burning acidity and bitterness. Smoov it out yo! The mocha notes are just not there. People should blend this with creme brulee if they don't like brulee's sweetness, because this one has none, and would benefit from more chocolate and sweetness. More coffee and lactose please.

I dunno about my score here. I was ultimately disappointed by a good beer. I think that stems from a few things:

1. The price. $10+ a bomber means you better be bad ass.
2. I know ST can and does make better stouts: See choklat/creme brulee. I dunno, maybe they thought those stouts big complaint was for being too sweet, so they decided to make this big and burly without the soft touches.
3. The coffee flavor was average at best.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

*Take this review with a grain of salt, will explain in article*

This is a delicious beer, it just doesn't taste even remotely like coffee. I had it in a growler that filled from a year old keg, so I'm wondering if the coffee flavor mellowed an extreme amount. It basically just tasted like a more mellow version of Choklat. Like every Southern Tier stout, this one is more of a dessert beer, but not as sweet as above mentioned Choklat. I enjoyed this beer, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

Mokah from Southern Tier Brewing Company