Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

2XIPA - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Avg: 4
Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 04-28-2010

Reviews: 1,002 | Hads: 4,203

One of the top 1% of beers in the world (or at least beers available along the east coast US). Alcohol content and flavor just right. Enough to make you feel good but not too strong to make it unenjoyable. Good session beer for those who enjoy a hoppier draft. I suggest getting it straight from the brewery, great experience and made by people who truly love their beer.

This beer changed my friggin life! Had it on tap at Blue Monkey. The smell alone let me know that it would be good. White grape. A harmonious blend of hops. Perfectly filtered. Alcohol content not too high. So unbelievably lovely :) I only wish it was on tap EVERYWHERE! Get it in a bottle if you can find it. And buy LOTS of it!

I was looking at a bottle of this beer in Siciliano's beer store and a guy in the same aisle said GET IT, IT'S GOOOD. So I got it. And man am I glad I did. Thanks to you, random stranger, for encouraging the purchase.

A - straw color with a barely orange tint. Tiny head that laces the sides of the glass like soap and does not move. excellent.

s - PINE HOPS. BIG TIME. Smells like a DIPA should! Pine, pine, pine, along with grapefruity citrus. strong astringent smell at first

t - piney hops are so prevalent and make the taste of this beer exactly what a DIPA is about. there is a slight astringent taste from the alcohol, but it is nicely balanced by a smooth brown sugary sweetness that I have not found in any other DIPA. It leaves a lingering, mild sweet aftertaste that dances on the tongue with the hops and slight citrus. nice balance. this beer is VERY drinkable and would be very easy to down if not for the ABV which would down me at least

m - smooth....sticks and lingers

o - a total win win here. textbook DIPA....great taste, sticks with you, and great price. This will be a staple in my house

4.95/5  rDev +23.8%

This beer could be dangerous! Upon smelling the beer I knew I was in trouble... It's a fantastic beer!

The beer's aroma is an alluring citrus fruit. The beer has a brilliant white head. The beer is golden straw color; leaves a nice lace down the glass as you drink the beer. This is a very pleasant DIPA which would pass as an IPA.

4.95/5  rDev +23.8%

Very floral on the front and nose, smooth delicious warm rich caramel on the finish.

No soapy taste at all. No over bitterness - doesn't make you cringe. I can drink a six pack of these. One of the best India Pale Ale's I've ever tasted, and I've tasted quite a few.

The perfect IPA.

4.92/5  rDev +23%

oh man this is the shit if you like hopslam and want to pay a lot less this is it

tastes like you went to the peppermint castle with the anthropomorphic garden shears and they were like here drink what i drink itll get you real drunk

smells like it would have you dancing with chipmunks underneath a butterscotch waterfall

4.88/5  rDev +22%

This is an amazing Double IPA. It is super well-balanced with a bit of citrus flavor from the hops. The aroma may be the only thing slightly lacking, but it's by no means detrimental to the experience of drinking this beer. There's plenty of bitterness to rate the Double IPA moniker and it's all extremely well-balanced with the malt backbone. I really couldn't say whether this is an IPA dominated by malt or by hops because they both work so well together. No off-flavors of any kind. This is a world class Double IPA.

4.87/5  rDev +21.8%

I'm getting potent smells of tropical fruits like a citrus, mango smell with the resinous herbal smell as well. I also get some underlying rich malt smells. The taste starts off with the bite from the hops with a bready delicious malt background with the mango citrus herbal pine tastes coming through in the finish. I also get a pine bitterness as well. The bitterness isn't off the charts and mixes so well with the alcohol content and the malts.

The malts are pretty rich in this beer and are an excellent backing to the tropical hop profile this beer has. It has a bit of a syrupy body but I really like it and goes well with the malt flavor. This beer could be appreciated by many because the bitterness is there but not too much. The hop flavor really is the winner in this beer.

Get this beer if you find it in stores. It's an excellent example of a Double IPA. Perhaps the best double IPA the East Coast has to offer. Southern Tier seems to be a sleeper or underdog of the breweries out there but is just as good as any high quality craft beer out there.

4.87/5  rDev +21.8%

I can't even bring myself to write a typical staccato review, like i usually do for others beers. From the get-go this beer had me anxious and with high expectations, mainly due to the legendary reputation this brewery coins to all it's beers, the thought of having a 'crème de la crème' Double American IPA (which doesn't come often where I'm from), even the professional and deliciously artisan labeling played a part.

The nose despite being relatively tame is one of the most complex and elegant I've had the pleasure of experiencing, suggesting a caramel, toffeeish malt backbone with a nutty character reminiscent of a rich English Brown Ale aswell as showing fragrant and exuberant flowery, evergreen / piney, citrus and orange notes.

Amazingly though, the taste follows up on the A+ nose. The taste is really something else, it's watch maker work right here. It's deep, rich, complex and astoundingly balanced. It really gives you the feeling that something like this took equal parts of inspiration and hard work and planing:

Beautiful tropical fruit, pine, evergreen, flowers, vegetable, not overly bitter; Heavy but not syrupy, and very refreshing.

The piéce of resistance to me is how well the alcohol plays into the overall taste profile and balance.
I can not for the life of me recall a beer in which the alcohol played such a factor on equilibrium, rather than being just one more layer or something that doesn't get in the way. It's really hard to put into words but nonetheless it could not, in my opinion, fit more perfectly.

The best IPA I've had to date but could use a bit more intensity in the bittering, aroma and taste.

4.84/5  rDev +21%

This is really an amazing beer!
But I wouldn’t call it a double IPA.
When I think double IPA, I think big and hoppy with a high abv and lots of flavor.
This beer has everything down just perfect, but its surprisingly not bitter.
Its pretty amazing how much hop flavor you get out of this beer. The citrus/pine/floral flavor is all over this beer, yet somehow its not very bitter. Its almost un-IPA like.
Flavor , texture, color, abv, and smell are all that of a nice strong IPA, but the taste is so easy going that it feels more like a strong pale ale. Even the 8.2 abv is perfectly hidden. The mouthfeel is perfectly smooth, and every sip leaves a dry only slightly bitter finish.

My only actual problem with this beer from an enjoyment standpoint is its lack of head.
I leaves great lacing, and a light cream on top of the beer the whole way through, but the head itself was very weak. Even a straight dump into a pint glass fails to foam off the rim.
Even with this beers identity problem and lack of strong head I still love it.
This beer goes down pretty quick, and I wouldn’t call it much of a sipper.
If you enjoy the true taste of American hops (even without the bitterness), and want a crisp, clean, extremely fresh tasting pale ale, I highly suggest you try Southern Tier 2XIPA.

4.83/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- pours a beautiful clear gold with a one finger straight white head that laces beautifully. Not at all what I expected from a DIPA, but it looks awesome.

S- lovely scent of fruity hops with a slight tinge of pine in there. Smells absolutely fantastic, and its making me a little too thirsty...

T- this is where the beer somehow shines even more. Mostly the hops you're used to, that grapefruity citrus kind of backbone, and there is a slight kick of piney bitterness at the end...not too much, not too little, but juuust right. Perfect balance of flavors.

M- beer has a really good feel. Its not thick and syrupy like you may expect from something with "imperial" in the name, but its got some good body to it. Not very thin at all...near perfection.

D- really drinkable. The hops don't beat the hell out of your taste buds and make you want to stop drinking. They just keep inviting you for more! This is the best DIPA I've ever had...sure, I haven't had nearly as many as a lot of people, or sampled some of the better ones, but this is AWESOME.

4.82/5  rDev +20.5%

12oz Bottle Poured into a Southern Tier Tulip

A - Perfectly clear golden color, bordering on light amber, A fingers worth of off-white head. Really nice looking beer.

S - Sunshine in a Glass! Floral and citrus characters, followed by some light sweetness. fresh and delicious smelling.

T - The citrus hits first, followed by a very smooth bitterness with some great floral characteristics in the finish. Classic finish with some perfect bitterness and is just amazing.

M - Perfect, carbonation helps to cleanse the palate and very, perhaps too drinkable.

Notes - This is 8.4%?!?!?! you would never know. This is session-worthy drink-ability and based on how much flavor is in this beer, I think it's time this beer gets recognition as a heavyweight of the style.

4.8/5  rDev +20%

Definetly a fan of this one, although 1.5xIPA is probably a better(more correct) name. Solid golden straw in color and poured a beautiful 2 finger solid foamy head with great sticky intricate lacing.

Smell was smooth for a lack of a better term with mild hints of hops and maltiness. The taste was similar with a well rounded balanced taste of hops and malts, sweet almost honey-like at the end with an ever so so faint alchhol twinge at the back of the tounge. SWEEET!

Mouthfeel was right where it should be and this is one very drinkable(POUNDABLE) brew. Good stuff Maynard!

Drank on-tap at Plan B Burger Bar, Glastonbury, CT
Served in a goblet

The beer poured a crystal clear, yellow-amber color. I simply have never seen such clarity on a beer of this style. The liquid was capped by a creamy, bright white, one-finger head that left rings of lacing all down the glass.

The aroma was sheer perfection. Super complex and hoppy, yet very balanced. Notes of peaches and apricots dominated. Tropical fruits, including mango, pineapple and passion fruit, were also quite apparent. Citrus fruits were noticeable as well.

The taste was nearly as impressive as the nose. Hoppy and quite interesting with a menagerie of fruity hop flavors and a stiff, yet unobtrusive, bready malt backbone. Citrus notes were quite apparent. Ruby red grapefruit came through strong. Orange peel was also noticeable. Tropical fruits flavors were detectible. The finish was semi-dry. Once again, citrus fruits came through loud and clear.

The mouthfeel was super creamy and smooth. A soft, pillowy liquid blanketed my tongue and never let up. The carbonation was very fine and mild, and it worked perfectly for this beer.

Drinkability was simply off the charts. The 8.5% ABV was barely perceivable. This beer was a sheer joy to sip and savor.

This was unquestionably one of the best examples of a double IPA I have sampled. Southern Tier has been putting out many excellent releases but, in my opinion, this is definitely their finest to date. If you are a fan of balanced double IPA's, you simply must give this one a try.

4.8/5  rDev +20%

This is the IPA that I compair all other IPA's too. Pours a nice pale golden color with hints of red. Nice head and great lacing. Wonderful florral smells. Starts with a nice breaddy grain front end then burst with great floral and fruit flavors followed by a perfect bitter finish.

4.79/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very nice IPA from Southern Tier. Nice hoppy nose and initial flavor, with lingering florals. Good kick, at 8.2, so don't let the pleasant taste fool you. The "pick" of the ST Super Pack.

Tell me a better NY IPA...

4.79/5  rDev +19.8%

Beautiful color. And you get hit immediately with a Great floral aroma. Smells almost like a wilted flower and balanced by malty sweetness. Tastes even better. I savor every mouthful. Lacing all up and down in your class. One of the best IPAs around. A must try for IPA lovers.

4.77/5  rDev +19.3%

Nose: Citrus. Bright and clean like the first day of school. Anchored by a quickly disappearing earthiness.

Appearance: Crystal clear pale gold. About an inch of head, but I poured it slowly, pausing to check bouquet variations. However, the head lingered respectably, and laced nicely.

Taste: Complex. Roasty, malty sweetness first off. Countered with strong hopping. Rich and smoky, approaching umami as it washes towards the throat. Flavors continue to oscillate from bitter, to piney/resiny, to sweetness as it fades. Noticeable carbonation on the tip of the tongue that dissipates quickly.

Overall: Great beer. Complex and balanced.

4.77/5  rDev +19.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a frozen Arrogant Bastard Ale glass.

Golden color, aroma semed mellow, smooth with a powerful hop finish.

Enjoyed every drop of this one and hope it's around for a while.

This is one of my favorite IPAs and I could drink a lot of it.

4.77/5  rDev +19.3%

Appearance: Clearness, but a nice slightly darker color for an IPA
smell: brilliant clean hoppy smell
Taste: Amazing. It has a strong hoppy character, but its not jarring, ripping, or brutal. its like being hit on the tongue like a velvet wrapped hammer.
Mouthfeel: full malty backbone for a IPa, yet still to style. Excellent

To me this is a perfect double IPA. It just works on all levels and is so good that even a malt loving person like myself can enjoy its flavors.
If you see it, get it. Its a great beer for a great price.

4.76/5  rDev +19%

Poured from a bottle. Nice caramel color, good head, but it receded quickly. smell was good and fruity. but I think the bottle wasn't super fresh. Couldn't find a date stamp, the fruit smell faded quickly. Good hop bite at the start, with a good heavy malt follow. Not hop bite at the end, I think it wasn't as fresh as could be, but since I like IPA's not too bitter I thought it was outstanding.

Mouthfeel was good, overall, I think this was outstanding and I'll likely be buying it again.

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

This is going to be a short review. I am boxing up 3 trades even as I write so I am a little busy.

This beer smells and looks great. hell, I don;t even drink IPA's or Double IPA's but I find myself gravitating towards them in the last several weeks. Ever since Hopslam came out and I got caught up in the hype. Anyway, since then I have had Hopslam, HopStoopid, Nugget Nectar (very nice), Pliny the Elder (even nicer), Gubna (not so nice), Terrapin Hopsecutioner (something like that) and various other offerings.

This beer did seriously come through. Hoppy, clean, crisp and God knows how long it sat on the shelf (it's my little hile in the wall shop that I go to for aged stouts). I would gladly pick up another of these because of their ready availability and this is some seriously good beer. Very ssssmmmmooottthhh with the hops even.

Come to think of it, Southern Tier has not ever let me down for any beer I have ever tried from them. I am a Stone and Cigar City fanatic and I may just be adding ST to the list.

If I had 5 more I would drink them right now. Get some of these, you will not be disappointed.

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

Great every day beer. Easy drinking. Wonderful flavor. Drinks like a session I PA with the kick of a double.. I love this ale. I'm sitting at a bar with 20 taps, and this is my number 1 choice.

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours golden amber with not a ton of head. Lighter than expected body with a distinct but not overpowering hop flavor of grass, pine, citrus/lemon. A bit of bitterness comes in on the aftertaste. This is a crisp beer that I suspect most IPA fans would enjoy. This is one of the better beers I've had from Southern Tier, just behind Unearthly.

4.74/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So far my pick for a double IPA, Piney, and delicious. The smell is wonderful and the taste does not disappoint. This will stay with you long after that sip is gone. Great take on a great style. I would say yes to this one always, also amazing if you can find on tap.

2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing Company