Join our email list →

American Double / Imperial IPA | 8.20% ABV

Beer added by: mcallister on 04-28-2010

Reviews: 1,018 | Hads: 4,317
3.73/5  rDev -7%

A - A medium honey golden color... Full of moderate paced carbonation... No head to speak of, only a very modest lacing with the slightest of collars...

S - Equal parts mellow citrus, bready hops, and soap... A little bit of a grassy outdoor presence... Surprisingly weak and rather unimpressive given it's DIPA status...

T - A splendid blend of citrus and pine... A strong malty bread base with some hints of caramel...

M - Medium bodied... Smooth... Brisk carbonation... Consistent sip after sip...

D - Goes down very easy... Not very sessionable at 8.2% and actually packs quite the potent wallop... Tasty and enjoyable, a better than average DIPA that feels like it should have rated a tad bit higher...

Southern Tier 2XIPA
12oz bottle poured into a snifter
DOB 1/13/12

A: Pours a translucent light amber, with an almost yellow hue, and 1/2 fingers of sea foam white colored head, which very quickly dissipates down to only a slight outer ring, and leaves some very slight lacing.

S: Some citrusy hops, grapefruit and lemon zest, a pretty big alcohol presence, and you're all going to think I'm crazy but I swear there is an aroma of raw hamburger.  I'm trying to run through my mind what other aroma it could be, but I can't get past it.   It smells like a hamburger right before you put it on the grill (and no I'm not eating).  Maybe I need to see a psychiatrist.  Needless to say the aroma doesn't do much for me.

T: A unique flavor profile.  Flavors of mango, a hint of banana, some piney bitterness on the backed. There is an earthy/floral presence as well. Leaves a nice lingering aftertaste, again of banana, but not like the Belgium yeast banana aftertaste, this is different.  Pretty good, but I'm not blown away.

M/D: Incredibly smooth, with a moderate to heavy body, coats the palate nicely, then quickly finishes dry, urging you to take the next sip.  Appropriately low carbonation, no hint of the ABV, and very easy to drink.  Perfect.

O: This was an interesting brew for me.  I think Southern Tier is a great brewery, and DIPAs are my favorite style, but this one doesn't really do it for me.  I wouldn't turn it down if it were handed to be, don't I don't plan on buying this one again.

3.73/5  rDev -7%

Poured from a bottle into tulip glass 12/19/10.

A: Dark yellow/Pittsburgh gold color. Slowly poured the beer, resulting in a tiny head that quickly dissolved. No lacing on the inner walls of the glass.

S: Not as hoppy as many Double IPAs, but there is definitely a hint of citrus to it.

T: Nice flavor present, although there is no nothing dominant about it - hops dominate not, citrus dominates not... in fact, the more sips I take the less citrus and hops I actually taste.

M: Light to medium bodied with a carbonated mouth kick to it. Slight aftertaste, minimal compared to other DIPAs.

D: Relatively easy to drink.

Comments: It's a good DIPA for sure. For it's price point it's worth picking up a sixer to intersperse with your other brews on a given evening. Can't see myself drinking more than two or three in a sitting - more because of the taste than anything else.

3.73/5  rDev -7%

Pours a slightly hazy light gold with a thin white head, nice lacing lines the glass.

Definitely some citrusy hops up front fills my nose, but not as strong and complex as I was expecting. Some alcohol is noticeable as it warms up.

A slight maltyness on the palate at first along with a strong dash of citrusy hops, finishes nice and bitter. The alcohol is covered well, but that's about all I can say about it, not very complex at all, no depth.

Carbonated mouthfeel, somewhat drinkable. The only thing this beer has going for it is the hops, and it's not even as hoppy as I was hoping. Sad to say I'm somewhat underwhelmed by this after seeing all of the high reviews I was expecting something better. If this was just an IPA I can see, but as a DIPA it seems like there is something missing.

3.72/5  rDev -7.2%

A friend gave me this bottle tonight. A friend indeed. I don't really know if this is in our market right now or not.

12 oz. bottle, regular pint glass

A: This beer had a really filtered look. It looks lighter in body then it actually is & had little head retention. Low carbonation level, but certainly not flat.

S: A strong hop aroma. Almost like a piney smell mixed with some kind of melon. Pleasant yet in your face.

T: Big up front hop boom taste. A little smokey, and very dry finish. Seems like some big alpha acid hop variety in there. 4 types of hops the bottle says.

M: This is a thicker then you would expect an Imperial IPA to be. The beer is heavy, hoppy, and dry. 8.2% ABV according to the Southern Tier webpage.

D: I thought this beer was less sweet then other Imperial IPA's I have had so I enjoyed it, but it didn't blow my socks off. I still dig what Southern Tier does though.

12oz bottle from Plum Market in AA

Pours a brilliantly clear, bright golden color. There is a one-finger white head with light retention throughout. Big lemon and grapefruit hop aromas with a substantial danky component. Bitter citrus hops dominate the flavor with lemon and grapefruit notes taking the day. There's not a whole lot else going on here other than the clean citrus bitterness. Finish is quite dry with the alcohol being present but not overwhelming. Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation on the palette. The finish is dry and the alcohol warming is moderate. Drinkability is pretty good for the 8%+ abv - the flavors are clean and enjoyable, but the bitterness and lack of complexity limit drinkability somewhat. Well worth picking up a bottle or two.

3.72/5  rDev -7.2%

I'd had this in a Southern Tier variety pack a few years back, and remembered it as drink-worthy. Recently bought a 6-pack and put one in the fridge after I got home, but didn't get to it until it was cold. Mistake! Better warm. Drinking one now that is at RT--much better!
Must say that I prefer the regular ST single IPA to this 2X, though. That can be enjoyed in multiples; the 2X is a one-at-a-timer (like most doubles, IMHO).

BTW editors, trying to force everyone's descriptions down the look, smell, taste, feel route makes for boring reading.

3.72/5  rDev -7.2%

Received as an extra from 6daysbottomocean.

12 oz bottle poured into my snifter glass

A - Golden with about a half finger width of head. It doesn't leave much lacing on my glass, indicating there aren't a bunch of hop oils.

S - Good smell. Initial bit of tropical fruits, specifically sweet pineapple and nectarines. After that, it dies down and lots of sweet malts are leftover. I imagine this'll be a somewhat malt-dominated ipa.

T - Hey, guess what...there are malts! Sadly, another IPA that misses the mark a bit, in my opinion. There is some grapefruit bitterness, but not the smack in the mouth bitterness I like.

M - Slightly under medium body and kind of high on the carbonation side.

D - It's good, but not great. Plenty of options here in San Diego I'd go for. I'm happy to try it, but I'm glad for the alternative I have here.

3.72/5  rDev -7.2%

12oz bottle into a perfect pint. Courtesy of TheSevenDuffs (thanks, Marcus!). No freshness date of any kind.

A - Hazy straw-yellow, with a thin one-finger head. Good retention, decent patchy lacing on the glass. Gentle swirling brings back a finger or two.

S - Pretty fruity and light at first, with some citrus, and a cotton-candy aroma lurking in the background somewhere. As it settles there's a firm maltiness that backs things up.

T - Not much of the fruit, but there's plenty of bitterness from the hops. The cotton-candy doesn't show at all in the flavor, but there is some sweetness from the malty backbone, and maybe some orange zest and some lemony notes. A hint of alcohol, but not much.

M - Fairly thick and sticky, especially as it warms. Nice full-bodied feel. Dry finish.

D - Alcohol is pretty well hidden, and the bitterness doesn't really get to you. I could probably go through a few of these without issue.

O - Well, this is certainly a nice beer. Not sure if I have a shiny new bottle, but I'm definitely having trouble understanding the comparisons to the heavy hitters in the style like Pliny and Hopslam -- it really just isn't in the same league.

3.72/5  rDev -7.2%

This is a completely agreeable IPA. Despite being a high gravity beer, I would consider this a fine introductory IPA for someone used to more mild flavor profiles. Take out the sicky sweetness from Sierra Nevada and you've got ST2XIPA. There is a lot going on with this beer without being too agressive. This is one of the most well balanced pale ales I've ever found to be regularly available.

3.72/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a crystal clear golden color with a small white head.

Aroma isn't anything crazy or overpowering, but what is there is very nice and subtle with a bit of fruit and piney hop flavor - pretty much what you'd expect.

Flavor is quite bitter all the way through but with notes of fruit coming through just a tad. Overall though the main flavor is driven by the hops, which, depending on your taste could be a good or bad thing. I prefer DIPAs where the fruity flavors shine a bit more but for what this is its pretty good, and very drinkable. The bitterness is not overpowering by any means, and my palate doesn't seem to be getting too blown out by it. Feels light and lively as you drink due to a higher than average amount of carbonation.

A solid beer and something I'll drink again, but there are several others in the style that I prefer.

Photo of
3.72/5  rDev -7.2%

Appearance - strangely yellow and hazy for the style. Small head quickly dissipates to a ring.

Smell - sweet and fruity hops dominate the nose with aromas of pineapple, grapefruit and pine. A little caramel malt lurks in the background.

Taste - Fruity upfront, echoing the pineapple and grapefruit of the aroma, with a deep malt sweetness backing it up. A touch of bitterness on the finish. Very hoppy without a lot of bitterness.

Overall this a very tasty beer, but a little less intense than you would expect from a double IPA.

20 oz pint from tap
Brewer says this is "Not quite an imperial, but certainly not a standard India pale ale."

A - Clear, golden amber. Creamy, off-white head; coats sides of glass and has good retention

S - Weedy/herbal but clean and fresh hops. Hops. More hops.

T - somewhat complex with barley malt (?) evident. Intense hop shot with piney/orange/grapefruit hop finish that includes some maltiness.

M - smooth; good carbonation

D - too hoppy and bitter for high volume consumption, but then this is a beer to be savored slowly.
For hop lovers only. Like drinking the essence of fresh hops, magically made palatable.

(Lightly revised after June 2013 revisit).

3.71/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a clear, rich, golden color with a generous inch head that reduces to a ring with good retention. Pint glass coated heavily.

Scents of lemon and grapefruit, almost piney

Very citrusy, tangy and sour notes, a lot of hops working together/fighting in this double IPA with passive malts in the background.

Moderate feel - a little thick, medium carbonation

It goes down easy although I sense the moderate abv. in this brew, and the hops really battle it out creating an overall fierce taste. This is an all around good IPA by Southern Tier, but something was missing for me.

3.71/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a bottle into a Southern Tier pint glass, just because I could.

A.) This pours a pale golden color, slight hop haze, nothing too impressive. Decent sized white head that dies out pretty fast. Some lacing sticks around on the top of the glass.

S.) Pretty awesome smell. Lots of hops up front and some nice citrus apparent too. No trace of the alcohol, despite it's 8.2% ABV.

T.) Wow, surprisingly balanced, especially because I don't generally consider IPAs and DIPAs to be Southern Tier's strongest style. Sweet, but not syrupy and a nice hop bitterness, too. Hides the alcohol well and finishes leaving me ready for another sip.

M.) This is well-crafted, medium bodied DIPA. Very solid, and refreshing.

D.) Though I've had more complex and well... better, beers in the style, this is a good beer and very easy to drink. It's better than most of it's competition in the same price point and superior to some that are considerably more expensive.

I ended up liking this beer a lot more than I thought I would. Give it a shot if you see it.

3.71/5  rDev -7.5%

Thanks Kegatron for sending me this bottle. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip at around 45 degrees. Kegatron tells me this is about 3 months old at this point.

About 1/2 inch of creamy bright white foam tops a sunrise yellow/orange body. Good retention and decent lacing. Looks fairly thin for a DIPA, and really light in color compared to most, but the color is beautiful...

Smells like mango, cherries, earth, and oranges. A bit of alcoholic aroma is apparent. There's a bit of a spice hit too, almost like a rye-spice hit, which seems odd. It doesn't smell that vibrant, probably because it's lost some of that by now.

Initially I taste a slight lemony/grapefruit/citrus kick with a little bit of sweet bready malt underneath. Flavor tends to go towards orange/mango and tropical twang after that, and then finishes up earthy and spicy, with quite a bit of alcoholic cherry heat.

As I suspected from swirling this around, it's a little on the thin side, but still has the right amount of carbonation and feels pretty slick. Quite dry on the finish, which is a good change of pace for a DIPA made on the east coast.

Definitely Southern Tier's interpretation of a west coast style DIPA. It hits that mark, and is quite tasty, however I'm used to drinking fresh west coast DIPAs, and this doesn't quite compare to most of them. It could just be that this bottle is 3 months old, but everything there was nice, the hop flavor just needed to be more vibrant and apparent for me. Nonetheless, very refreshing and enjoyable.

3.71/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into an oversized wine glass. Light gold color, very clear with a fluffy head that quickly disappears to a soapy ring leaving some lacing down the side.

Nose is lots of piney hops, leather as well with some sweetness.

Taste is very piney and bitter, but I can't find the sweetness that was in the nose. Very bitter in the aftertaste, which is a turnoff to me in IPAs. I like them bitter up front, but smooth on the finish, which I realize is tough to do.

Somewhat drinkable with a slightly bubbly mouth. Not my favorite IPA, but somewhere in the middle of the pack.

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured into tulip. Looks the part, nice bright orange color and head typical of most IIPA. Smell is grapefruit and a bit more orange than typical, not unlike Racer 5.

Taste is what I expected from the style, again getting more orange than typical. Alcohol finish has a slight solvent note to it which keeps me from rating much higher.

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden to slightly orange and clear, one finger head, thin and sparse lacing.

Smell is a bit subdued, but oranges, hops, resiny pine and a light sweetness come through on the aroma.

Taste is bold and full, with complex, heavily resiny hops flavors, lemon, orange and grapefruit citrus, and a little caramel malt to finish it off.

Feel is very slick and oily with hops resin. Body is medium with moderate carbonation. Relatively refreshing to drink.

Overall it's a good beer, but not great. Enjoyable though, and a fairly good value.

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

From notes, purchased from the Growler Station in NYC, drank later that night.

Pours a hazy gold color, pretty clear with a decent white head.

Aromas are grapefruit, resin, and lemon.

Taste is just like the nose, hoppy, bitter with some grapefruit, resin, and resiny hops, also kind of dusty.  Finish is crisp, lightly sweet with some crystal malt flavors.

Mouthfeel is smooth and full bodied.

Overall, a pretty good DIPA, not quite up to top notch standards, but still good.

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into weizen glass

A- nice and light without looking watery 1.5" head with some nice lacing that sticks around for a little bit

S- Smells like a delicious IPA, very hoppy and citrusy

T- very boozy with some citrus taste. It's okay but I dont love it due to the booziness

M- light carbnation with a nice smooth feel nothing wrong with the mouthfeel

O- I liked everything about this beer but the taste, extra boose flavored but it was a great experience as being my first double IPA can't wait for hopslam

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

Yummy! I usually don't like the cloudy beers, but this one is good. Pours golden with little head, and a bit cloudy. Can't really see through it, but stop lookin' and drink up. Citrus & hops prevail.
A good offering with 2X of something. Whatever it is.... I like it.

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

I appreciated the chance to try this, thanks to tenderbranson69 for sharing. Poured chilled from the 12oz into a tulip

A - A very clear golden with amber accented liquied and a thin white cap which drops to a ring w/ good clinging lace that holds

S - An arom of hops that has a strong piney aspect and mild acidic citrus note that lingers w/ slight grassy aroma accented by herbal notes and mild sweet odor w/ a pungent fruit ester

M - Well carbonated brew w/ a mild acidic and slight resinous hoppy feel w/ a dry spicy finish

T - The flavor has an apparent simcoe taste immediately w/ spicy pepper and herbs from the hops and funky cat piss-like acid in the hops. the flavor of simcoe gives the beer an acidity and spiciness w/ mild citrus afternote and mildly sweet malty flavor w/ light alcohol influence in the warming finish

D - A tasty brew, not the best in the style by any means, but flavorful and drinkable. Kind of one dimensional in the grand scheme so just above average form me - it could use more hop flavor other than spice to win me over

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance: Pale golden yellow colour. Poured form a 12oz bottle into standard pint glass. Large, fluffy head that dissipates fairly quickly with visible lacing all around.

Smell: Hoppy and sweet aromas with a bit of spice, a bit of citrus.

Taste: Not as hoppy as I had expected but still hoppy. A nice moderately-citrus flavoured aftertaste.

Mouthefeel: Medium-bodied, moderately carbonated. A little silky, velvety, and a little sticky.

Drinkability: Goes down exceptionally easy. Barely any alcohol presence whatsoever, nothing really too overpowering. The taste is somewhat faint but nice.

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint.

Appearance: Golden color with a nice white head. Head dies pretty quickly, sadly. Leaves a nice lacing though.

Smell: "Light" smells, very grassy and floral. Nice.

Taste: Hoppy first, gives a little citrus on the end. Definitely not the best I've had for the style. Hides its alcohol tremendously though. Almost non-evident. Pretty standard overall. Finishes a little sweet.

Mouthfeel: Relatively light with a fair amount of carbonation. Very easily drinkable. If I wouldn't get trashed, I could easily knock back quite a few of these.

This isn't the best DIPA, but it's not bad at all.

2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing Company