1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

2XIPA - Southern Tier Brewing Company

2XIPA2XIPA

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: mcallister on 04-28-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 3,047 | Reviews: 926 | Show All Ratings:
Sobered

1.23/5  rDev -69.6%

I decided to give this a try even though I haven't cared for other Southern Tier offerings. What a mistake.

My son bought a twelver of Bud Light Platinum and we were drinking side by side. The 2xIPA was maybe half a shade darker in the glass. The smell is pretty much Ruination mixed with water in a 1:20 ratio.

The taste up front isn't awful, but it fades so fast that it's barely recognizable as a DIPA.

With so many other options out there in the DIPA, or even IPA variety's.... this is a beer I will NEVER try again.

03-24-2012 00:44:53 | More by Sobered
exposd

1.95/5  rDev -51.7%

By just looking at this beer poured in a glass it looks more like a light domestic than an DIPA and it definitely doesn't taste like a x2 either. The only real taste that stands out to me is the taste of alcohol... This brew leaves me searching for more depth in flavor and that's for sure where it's lacking. Glad I only have one 12oz. bottle and not a 6 pack to drink.

04-08-2014 05:06:11 | More by exposd
PDXHops

South Carolina

2.2/5  rDev -45.5%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Golden body topped with a bright white frothy head. Patches of soapy lacing.

No dating on the bottle, so conceivably it's older than ideal, but the hops in the nose certainly seem to be of the muted variety. Citric and earth notes are certainly there, but aren't particularly lively. Plenty of light sweet maltiness. Taste is disappointing. It's a smoothish and thickish beer with plenty of sweet pale malt, but a shortage of hop character. An odd hint of savory is almost as prominent as the muted earthy and citric hops. I might give this a try again sometime on tap, but no more undated bottles.

07-15-2011 15:26:22 | More by PDXHops
Dost0ybrewski

2.35/5  rDev -41.8%

I'm clueless as to why this beer has an average BA score of 90+. As someone who solely drinks IPAs, I'm confident in saying it was the worst DIPA I have ever tasted. I don't really know how to explain my experience besides summarizing it: there is absolutely nothing special or intriguing about this beer. It's balanced to the point where it doesn't even taste like an IPA. Not hoppy. Not malty. Just bland. Watered down and underwhelming in every sense of the word.

I'm someone who believes it's blasphemous to pour out a "good" beer without finishing it. But this beer merited a pouring-down-the-drain. I made it halfway though the bottle before giving up (forgive me, beer gods).

OVERALL: There is nothing redeeming about this beer. Utter disappointment in my opinion.

11-04-2013 04:11:03 | More by Dost0ybrewski
johnnieoz

2.36/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

12oz bottle from six-pack, DOB 3-27-13

Coming from California, I feel fortunate to be enjoying great local TX brews as well as favorites from back home and others less available in the West from the East. For example, Firestone Walker & Ballast Point just arrived in TX ,and just yesterday I enjoyed a fresh Double Jack & some Pale 31, both bottled in March 2013. So you'd think, this newcomer would be comparable, but...

A: As others have noted, this beer looks like like a bad lager. Unfortunately, this is the best part of this bottling. Average.

S: I'm getting nothing here - aromas are comparable to Session Lager or Edison, ie diplomatically low key and certainly not DIPA caliber. Corn?

T: Bitter does not a DIPA maketh. There are hops in there somewhere - "4 varieties of hops & 3 types of malts" per the box, but which ones? - A mess...

M: Nothing wrong here, but the lack of balance nearly makes it a drain pour.

O: I hope I'm reviewing a badly kept or sub-par batch of this beer. I've enjoyed other Southern Tier ales - inc Unearthly & Pumking while based in DC - but this is just not a good tasting brew.

The un-icing on the cake is the fact that Firestone's Pale 31 (opened for comparison) was not only tastier but hoppier. StArnoldFan (another TX BA who review this bottling) offers a second, equally unfavorable opinion. Southern Tier, please advise.

04-21-2013 01:39:15 | More by johnnieoz
troysoy2

2.4/5  rDev -40.6%

12 oz. bottle, 11/21/11 DOB. Poured into a pint glass, it's quite a nice looking beer. Rich amber color, with plenty of bubbles. A finger of bubbly, white head leaves some nice, patchy lacing

The smell is very resiny and thick. There's just the slightest hint of an odd stale bread and metal odor. I want to like it, but the smell is a bit off in my opinion.

Surprisingly balanced flavor between piney hops and light biscuity malt. The mouthfeel is quite light and crisp. Not nearly as thick or smooth as I may have expected. The metalic, herbal, and honestly kind've stale smell finds its way into the front of the taste, and quite prevalently, I might add. The alcohol is well hidden -- nearly undetectable.

I'm not so sure I like this one... maybe this particular mix of hops just isn't my cup of tea. And yeah, it's somewhere between a regular IPA and an Imperial IPA, just as promised. Sadly, it just leaves me wanting something more. Not my favorite Southern Tier offering.

12-17-2011 02:50:57 | More by troysoy2
bucklemyshoe

Georgia

2.42/5  rDev -40.1%

12 oz bottle at 42* into a Stone IRS Tulip.

A: This pours an absolutely transluscent, glowing, orange color with some red tint and an inch of foamy but rather thin head that doesn't last long.

S: It has heavy floral and piney hop notes and some mild citrus as well.

T: It's overbearingly floral. It tastes as if rose petals were steeped in it for a month.

M: It feels soapy, oily, and is just atrocious.

D: This is really badly done. Drain pour.

11-14-2010 07:07:30 | More by bucklemyshoe
thegodfather2701

2.5/5  rDev -38.1%

A-Translucent straw with a thick, billowy, bright white head. Some decent lacing is left on the glass.

S-While the nose isn't very strong it is complex. Notes of pine, citrus, and a hint of caramel malts. It is hoppy, but the malt backbone is detected as well.

T-Very mild for the style to say the least. I get some hop bitterness followed by some malts and some alcohol sweetness. There is nearly no flavor.

M-Thin for the style.

D-Easy drinking, but mostly due to the fact to there is almost no flavor.

Overall, this is one of the worst Double IPA's I have ever had. Its my first Southern Tier beer and I am really disappointed.

06-21-2011 23:02:55 | More by thegodfather2701
Ryan011235

2.6/5  rDev -35.6%

Poured into an E&J Cask & Cream glass on 3/25/11

Golden amber color; perhaps on the light side for the style. It has nice clarity, though. A fury of swirling, rising bubbles gives way to a slanted cap of foam, hitting the two finger mark. The head dies down, leaving clumpy patches of bubbles and lace.

At first the aroma was heavy on spicy, zesty citrus hops, grapefruit, lemon and orange with some grassy and herbal notions to back it up. As it warms the spicy crackle is tamed and pine takes a more prominent stance. It kind of has that lemon pine-sol thing going on but shies from being harsh with solvency. Solid biscuit-like malt presence with hints of dough. Some hop oils and resins, too.

Wow, the aroma has lead to a total letdown in terms of flavor. The hops are downplayed in spiciness, intensity and resinous goodness. Smoothed-over earthy notions instead with piddly hints of pine and citrus. Lots of bready malt takes up the slack. Fairly low bitterness.

Medium bodied. Alcohol is appreciable and there is a prominent slickness, especially as it warms. The finish is bready, dead-hopped and gritty. The finish is fairly dry and thankfully it doesn't last too long.

I'm not very impressed and become less so as the glass wears on. Perhaps this is an older bottle? I hope so; it would be pretty dismal if this is how the beer is supposed to be. Though not undrinkable, I poured out the last quarter of the glass. I won't be looking for it again.

03-27-2011 19:10:57 | More by Ryan011235
mpedara429

2.6/5  rDev -35.6%

A: Burnt orange in color with two fingers of off white head with little retention. Thick sticky lacing all the way around the glass.

S: A strong smell of pine and sweet malt. Subtle notes of orange and pineapple.

T: Bitter hops up front followed by everything that was in the smell. Really sweet and malty. There is some sort of disconnect where the hoppiness and sweetness don't balance each other out and are like two separate entities in the beer.

M: Light carbonation in a light body for a DIPA. It doesn't really stick to the mouth at all either.

O: It is is probably the lightest DIPA I've had. Truthfully, I liked the idea of the light mouthfeel because it is unique for a DIPA. It wouldn't be all that bad except that it lacks the overall taste of a big DIPA. Besides the ABV, this actually tastes like it is somewhere between a pale ale and a single IPA that is really sweet. I'm not likely going to be drinking this one again.

10-01-2012 06:38:09 | More by mpedara429
mooselvlt

Wisconsin

2.78/5  rDev -31.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a stange

A - Wow, very light. Golden, clear with a small off-white head that quickly fades. Moderate lacing

S - Orange, grapefruit and pine. Heavy on the orange I might add. Almost pungent really

T - Meh....matches the nose. What hits me is pungent orange right from the get-go finishing with a resiny pine.

M - Very thin, especially for the style. Lot of carbonation

O - This one confuses me. Just wonder what they were going for with this one. Just doesn't float my boat.

05-28-2011 07:14:49 | More by mooselvlt
phantomwyse

2.8/5  rDev -30.7%

A: Pours out a soft caramel body with a white head that rises to just above a finger.

S: The sun shines. A curtain gently blows. There is a soft breeze of pine, perhaps a touch of oranges from the grove.

T: The soft breeze gives way to a gentle rain shower, it tastes like the breeze. Then the breze pushes it along and afterwards there is the taste of crackers with no cheese. The sunny day has returned.

M: That gently shower was really light bodied, don’t you think?

O: For some reason, I really want to like Southern Tier beers. Maybe because my first experience was Gemini, which was spectacular. Everything since has let me down. This IPA feels like it has training wheels on it. Gemini was like a triathlete.

I also just looked at the bottle for reassurance when I went to review, this is a DIPA? Am I missing something?

02-14-2012 00:26:01 | More by phantomwyse
FeDUBBELFIST

2.83/5  rDev -30%

12 oz bottle to oversized wine glass. $3.50. The 2XIPA made a lot of noise on the boards here which prompted me to immediately seek this brew out. First beer of the day. Review from a backlog of notes.

A: Pours with 1 1/2 fingers of long lasting white head. Verrrry light sun-struck amber orange in color. The body is clear with visual carbonation akin to angrily swarming bees. A nice amount of lacing is deposited on the glass.

S & T: The nose is UNCOMMONLY weak. The flavor as well. While there is no problem with the flavor profile per se, the lack of intensity here is astounding and ratings suffer as a result. How could my palate possibly mistake a "DIPA" at 8.2% ABV for an APA at 5? Thanks to Southern Tier, I now know. Light malts of caramel and biscuit with a nice squeeze of grapefruit, orange and pineapple juice. A light sweetness dials back the bitterness on the palate.

M: Medium to medium-full body and as creamy as it gets. Visually, the carbonation seems relentless. On the tongue, however, it couldn't be any softer, which in my mind, is a huge detriment. Back to the pros: the flavor duration is very long and it finishes well: crisply, cleany, semi dry and moderately bitter.

D: The style applied to this brew is throwing me for a loop. This would be a top notch pale ale (if it were one) but it loses a huge amount of points when judged as a DIPA. In fact, I followed this brew with an APA (something I would never normally do, BUT was more impressed with by the way) and realized that Southern Tier made a silly typo: They simply forgot to put a "1/" in front of the "2XIPA".

Despite everything negative I've said so far, the drinkability is actually pretty high. In fact, I could drink about 450 of these things in one sitting. Clearly, the ABV is another misprint. Unfortunately, because of the cost, I won't even be buying a six pack. I guess I'll have to give this one another try next time I see it on draft.

08-29-2010 15:21:28 | More by FeDUBBELFIST
PatDreadful

2.85/5  rDev -29.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into DFH Chalice.

Appearance: My first thought is that this is way too light for a DIPA. The clear straw color is more commonly associated with Pilsners and Lagers. This is not consistant with what a DIPA (or IPA) should look like. The head is a very nice white that rises up close to three fingers and leaves sticky lacing throughout.

Smell: Well, all I get is hops. Strictly Cali here with grapefruit dominating and a slight pine in the background. Big citrusy floral smell that has me excited.

Taste: This thing is a total mess. Maybe the most unbalanced IPA I've ever had. The hops dominate with citrus playing a major role. There is absolutely no malt to speak of which leaves the feeling that one is drinking a hop tea. This reminds me of some IPA's that I've tried at local homebrew competitions, not an offering from a well respected brewery. Also I don't detect any of that ABV which leads me to think that this may not be the 8% it claims.

Mouthfeel: Light, light and light. The mouthfeel is pretty consistant with the color and the taste. There just isn't anything to it.

This is the first time that a BA score has ever let me down. This thing is way too unbalanced for me to enjoy or recommend.

02-04-2012 01:48:20 | More by PatDreadful
GoldHorde

2.89/5  rDev -28.5%

Before I wrote this review - I double checked the other reviews to make sure I was rating the same beer. My review here is NOT so much about the performance of this beer as the perceptions of the other reviewers. I am convinced the others who rated this beer do NOT know what a Double IPA is OR perhaps they have not had a good/great one. I am willing to be ravaged here - if you slay me wrong.

After all, it was labeled as a 2X-IPA. Maybe it spoiled in the bottle BUT this beer falls CLEARLY into the Belgian Ale category. It's sour notes have no place in the IPA category - everything about it screams "Belgian Ale!". As I did take a Silver Medal in competition against 400+ others in the Belgian Ale style - I should be allowed a sharp opinion here.

I would give this beer a MUCH HIGHER rating if it were listed as a Belgian Ale. However, I purchased it because I am a hophead - preferring strong snorts of IPA's and 2xIPA's.

POUR/APPEARANCE: Clear gold.
AROMA: Sour musk.
HEAD: One finger fading.
FLAVOR: Sour malt and heavy malty aftertaste

Absolutely nothing wrong with this beer - if you are after a great Belgian Ale.

04-04-2013 06:01:40 | More by GoldHorde
squaremile

Oregon

2.95/5  rDev -27%

Pours a darker clear yellow with a head that circles the glass. Nose is citrus and hop pellets, somewhat toned down for a double. Could benefit from some dry hopping. Flavor profile is similar to the pale, with powdery lemon zest, and pine, followed by more citrus flavors like white grapefruit and orange, and finishing with a lasting bitterness. Drinkability is somewhat low here just because the lack of complexity. Just not into it.

06-28-2010 19:57:36 | More by squaremile
Beerlover

2.95/5  rDev -27%

reviewed from notes.
smells of soapy hops in aroma but that doesn't come out in flavor thankfully, golden clear in color with a little bit of a copperish tinge. kind of an odd but somewhat balanced flavor, this ipa doesn't really do much for me. not overly hoppy but some bitterness. booziness pretty well masked though, otherwise meh.

10-05-2013 00:12:40 | More by Beerlover
thebeerdoctor

Although I was told this beer to be "flying off the shelf", I can not understand why. A golden coloured poured into a large pilsener glass, this is more of a hop vegetable experience, to be kind. Which makes me wonder: do the next generation of beer seekers believe that this is what flavor is all about?
Then there is the price, At $12.80 a six pack (tax included) , I can think of many other offerings worth forking over that kind of dough. Strangely, 2XIPA caused an allergic reaction I did not know I had. It caused me to sneeze without any control.

05-01-2010 00:04:42 | More by thebeerdoctor
ElGrecoVerde

3.03/5  rDev -25%

Look:
Pours golden yellow, slightly hazy.

Smell:
Citrus and breads with some slight sweet caramel notes. Underwhelming considering the name of the beer.

Taste:
Again, not what I was expecting, especially considering the other offerings for this brewery. Orange and lemon peel citrus with toast and cereal flavors. Decent bitterness with little balancing malts. Caramel and molasses hide in the background, while the beer takes on a near medicinal flavor. Hints of wheat linger about. Maybe I just got a bad bottle, but this just tasted like an average IPA with more hops.

Feel:
A bit flat, though not distractingly so.

Really surprised by this one. It wasn't really that bad, but I just was expecting more I guess. Southern Tier still ranks as one of my favorite breweries though.

06-12-2011 02:42:37 | More by ElGrecoVerde
sirdillon

Oregon

3.05/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass, not dated as far as I can tell.

Appearance - Very clear light orange/yellow, small one finger white head that dissipates partially rather quickly. I like my ipas hazy. 3/5

Smell - Reminds me a bit of HOTD Blue Dot. Mostly citrus and pineapple, with a good amount of sweetness. Not getting any pine. 4/5

Taste- Some hops and somewhat lightly toasted malt flavors coming out in the beginning, finishing with straight up hop bitterness and astringency. There's some pine in the taste.
3/5

Mouthfeel- Carbonation is right on I'd say, and it's a good consistency, but it's very drying and astringent. Not exactly refreshing.
2.5/5

Drinkability- The ABV is undetectable, but the astringency is a bit annoying. 2.5/5

03-15-2011 20:38:29 | More by sirdillon
dgilks

Australia

3.05/5  rDev -24.5%

Hop hazed, pale golden colour with a moderate sized white head. Good head retention and nice lacing.

Where is the aroma? There is a bit of pine, some mild lemon notes and then lots of dry malt. For an IPA, yet alone a double IPA, this is a disappointment.

Malty in a clean yet subtly sweet way. Mild bitterness. Slightly tea like with a mild resinous hop character. Nothing like a hoppy beer should be. Not bad, but not at all as described.

Medium body with moderate to moderately-low carbonation. Smooth and silky. Delightful.

A beer with lots of promise. The appearance and mouthfeel are very, very good and the way the alcohol is hidden is impressive. All this needs is some hops - and lots of them.

04-30-2011 09:14:59 | More by dgilks
smakawhat

Maryland

3.05/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Out of the bottle she comes out like a shining gold. Gives a two finger simple soapy white head that settles slowly. Very clear pale amber color and slow rising carbonation from the bottom of tiny bubbles. Very crystal clear looking.

Bouquet is a mild sweetness but not much really going on and kind of, missing hop feel, malt, or anything big for a standard double imperial it seems. It feels like it has the character of a good standard citrus punch, but it feels like it has been taken down quite a notch or something. It has a hint of turbonado brown sugar sweetness.

Taste is, kind of underwhelming. A bit wet, muted wet grapefruit finish and minimal hop presence. Where is the bitterness or punch or grass or well, anything? I am not looking for a hop bomb but I would like to say something about the hops in this but I can't cause they hardly show up. Disappointing palate feel with a quick finishing and dissipating tastes that leaves and disappears quickly. It almost has a gassy light lager finish and feel with carbonation attached to it and a gamey aftertaste. It makes for easy drinking, but not for great savoring and flavor.

I don't get the angle on this at all for a double imperial. It seems like perhaps things were all set for go and then someone turned everything down by several notches. I'll pass on this one kind of disappointed to say the least.

05-27-2011 02:33:42 | More by smakawhat
BigDRS

3.08/5  rDev -23.8%

Live review.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The bottle has no visible freshness date.

Pours a very clear pale almost urine like yellow color. It gets about an inch worth of head, but it quickly dies down and leaves minimal lacing. A small amount of carbonation is visible.

The nose is quite underwhelming. A bit of citrus and some malt, but that's pretty much it. I was expecting a lot more out of this.

Taste is about as impressive as the nose. Not a lot of hop character comes through ... seeing as this beer is called 2XIPA I was expecting a kick. There is a slightly sweet quality that opens up as the beer warms up.

Mouthfeel is mid to light bodied with a fairly bitter finish. Has a water-like quality and not a lot of chewy-ness. This scores some drinkability points, but it isn't what I expect from an imperial IPA.

This a really drinkable double IPA. If you had blindly put this beer down in front of me I would have guessed it was just a standard IPA ... there are many other options out there that are better examples of the style.

05-28-2011 03:03:05 | More by BigDRS
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

3.08/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours out looking lighter than expected, gold to yellow in appearance, .5" head on it, white in color, lacing not spectacular, but adequate. Aroma, lays some Simcoe down, but really not aromatic, pungent or anything special. Couldn't even tell if it was dry hopped at all.

Taste, again, decent, hides alcohol well, but the hops didn't really lend much in the way of flavor, just some bitterness. I liked the minimal malt bill, didn't get in the way, and still the hops just didn't really lend anything to the flavor, just the bitterness.

It finishes kind of dry, but its really ho hum. Easy enough to drink, and no aspect of it fails, but for being a Southern Tier beer, I had way higher expectations. I have no idea how old the bottles were since it was acquired in a trade, so I would revisit, but ultimately, its not my fault the brewery doesn't bottle date.

09-26-2012 18:22:32 | More by Beerandraiderfan
heygeebee

Australia

3.09/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

From Jim's

Appearance - very light light for stlye - almost blonde/lagerish. Spotty lace.

Smell - Little. Bready malts. Slight hops.

Taste - Mango, Peach. Moderate hops. Little malt backbone.

Mouthfeel - lighty carbonated.

Overall - Strange beast, not a 2IPA or even close imho. Really lightweight, moderately hoppy, morwe like a Pale Ale than anything. Need a lot more than this for the ABV.

05-12-2013 07:40:13 | More by heygeebee