2XIPA - Southern Tier Brewing Company

New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 04-28-2010

Reviews: 985 | Hads: 4,139
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a full foamy light tan head with clear amber body. Kind of honey colored.

Fresh flowery sweet hop scent. A sense of sweet caramel maltiness. Some citrusy orange and lemon. Light pine notes. It smells good, it makes me want a taste. Light tropical fruit notes at times.

An initial bitterness is combated by a sweet light caramel malt note, overpowered at the right moment by a nice bitter dipa finish. Very drinkable dipa at a very right price. Resiny pine after the sweetness with a nice lemon orange citrus.

Smooth carbonation and medium bodied. Carries this beer well

Overall would get 6 packs of this on a regular basis. Good stuff. (646 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into Duclaw Mad Bishop Chalice.
I havent even tasted it yet and I am seriously impressed with it! Great color...opaque yellow/orange. No head, but great lacing on the glass. Smells crisp; slightly piney, floral, slight hops.
Very good flavour. Drinkable yet very hoppy, not overly hoppy, but its the predominant taste along with orangey citrus and wheat undertones. The orangey wheat flavour remains in the aftertaste making this very refreshing and very drinkable and a great session double IPA...well at 8.2% ABV, that would be a fun session.
Very very good DIPA. I would buy again and again. (609 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: beautiful clear golden color with a huge white fluffy head. The beer is absolutely beautiful and translucent. As i drink the beer, it has great lacing as well.

S: Fresh, juicy, sweet. Smells like a grapefruit piece of candy, or freshly ground pie needles. Fresh is absolutely the word here.

T: Like candied citrus rinds. This is without a doubt a perfectly balanced IPA. I can't rate it a 5.0 because I can't say it's the "best" IPA but I would be hard pressed to find a better one. This is as well balanced as Boulevards' Double Wide and that is a phenomenal double IPA.

M: Great carbonation level that perfectly compliments the spiciness of the hops. Provides that excellent pop that the hops need to create that bitterness on the back end.

D: As smooth and balanced as it gets. This IPA is very well done and the fact that it isn't an overwhlelming bitter hop bomb makes is increasingly tempting. I could put down the sixer if it didn't put me down first! (968 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this served from a firkin poured into a standard pint glass. I saw the tapping of the firkin and this was the first pour. We knew of the tapping and got first in line :-)

A: nice clear golden yellow color, no head, not much carbonation due to this being served from a firkin...not hooked up to carbonation lines.

S: had a very mild citrus scent.

T: beautiful, does anyone call a beer beautiful. very well balanced for a double IPA; I expected over the top super hoppy, but his was not, the hop bitterness was more on the front of the mouth versus the back, smooth drink, not much on the way of carbonation.

M: refreshing, soft very soft carbonation.

Overall: I am glad I took the time out for a special tapping of a firkin. First time having this beer and I was impressed. I am not a big IPA drinker, but if more of them were as smooth as this one, I certainly could become a huge fan. (896 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I bought a single bottle of this from Woodman's in Menomonee Falls, WI for about $1.50 in early fall 2010.

Pours a nice clear amber/copper color with little froth on top that lingers on top. The scent does scream IPA but it does have a dryness to it with a slight hops scent. The taste is bold and full of flavor. Very crisp and the bitterness is perfect. Very slight hints of wheat and citrus. I was slightly afraid that this would be too bitter for me but it wasn't. May not be the best beer ever made, but it's definetly an "A" quality beer. (545 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Crisp & clean really well filtered... a glowing orange brew that leaves a light lacing on the glass... super hoppy a stinking fruity assault on the senses... tropical and bubble gummy, intensely aromatic with notes of pineapple, mango and lemon verbena there's also a savory element... onion juice! A Great Double... It must be fresh as there is a really big underlying malt character that gives the impression that it would overwhelm this beer if past a couple of months old... The taste is very similar to the nose and the finish is astringent and dry and lingers offering layer after layer of tropical sweetness, nutty and dense this is an extremely enjoyable quaff! (669 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on draft at the Yardhouse in Glenview. Served in a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear golden straw color with light peach hues in the body. A one finger, bone colored head forms on the pour a slowly subsides to a thin sheet and a thicker collar leaving cascades of lace down the glass.

S: Bright, sweet fruits with a very subtle oatmeal malt body. There is a touch of vine and grass as well.

T: Vibrant citrus fruits, mainly oranges and grapefruit with sweet berry notes as well. This is balanced by a very minimal malt body that really lets the hops shine through. There is a little herbal note on the backend.

M: Very clean and light bodied with a semi-sweet and mild bitterness on the finish. Lively carbonation.

O: I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I was expecting an extremely hop forward DIPA leaning towards the bitter side, and what I got was a very balanced and light drinking beer. I will revist this beer again. (932 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to griffeyb for sending me this one.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

It pours a hazy almost amber color with a medium head that dissipates quickly leaving a nice amount of splotchy lacing. The bread and malts hit your nose up front and then the hops come through nicely after. It is not quite as hoppy as I expected since it is a IIPA but still damn good. A medium amount of carbonation with this guy. Overall, I really enjoyed this brew. If I could get it near me I would definitely pick up more. (517 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my standard Brooklyn Lager pint glass.

A: Poured a very bright golden yellow. Nice one finger white head.
S: Grapefruit, pine, orange, mango, pineapple, and a slight sweetness.
T: Grapefruit, citrus, pine, and a touch of sweetness. The hops are not too bitter and the alcohol is hidden well. Really well balanced.
M: Creamy, and smooth. Nice carbonation.
D: Very nice. Easy to drink and the 8.2% never shows itself. Half way through, I wanted another one. (468 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +9.7%

A- poured out a bottle into a weizen glass a llight golden yellow with a good creamy head and sticky lacing that hangs on.
S- smelled of very strong floral hops even from a couple of feet away.
T- taste was the same as the smell with the floral hops the dominant factor. Lingers nicely on the palate. Very tasty indeed and the abv isn't that noticeable for as high as it is.
M- light to medium mouthfeel with bit of an oily finish.
D- very easy to drink and that could possibly get me into trouble! :) one of the better dipa,s I have had. (538 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Straw colored, slightly cloudy with a minimal head.

S - Citrusy hops dominate the aroma. Grapefruit, orange. A hint of apple. I don't detect much pine or other hops.

T - A nice clean bitterness that doesn't overwhelm. This definitely keeps it drinkable... almost too drinkable becuase with a beer with this ABV I don't like to drink them too fast.

M - Dry but fairly smooth.Medium carbonation level.

O - This is a nice DIPA. My only "problem" with it is that one is enough to get me pretty buzzed and I really would like to drink several. It's hard to stop after having just one. (617 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It's difficult to know where to begin. First had on draft a couple months ago at Primanti Brother's in Wheeling. Almost immediately became my favorite IPA. Beautiful golden color that is slightly hazy. Incredible harmony of flavors with nothing overwhelming the other. Grapefruit, lemon, lemongrass and floral notes all in there. Labeled as a 2X IPA however it's not heavy duty by any means. Very drinkable. Never pass this one by. (431 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Crystal clear and orange, this IPA had a small, off-white head of foam. It left sticky patches of lace all over the glass.

S - Simcoe!!! A pungent aroma with notes of grapefruit, tropical fruits and bubblegum. There is a mild burnt toast maltiness.

T - It tasted of grapefruit, bubblegum, burnt toast maltiness and had a sharp bitterness.

M - It was very crisp and sharp. A medium bodied ale with a snappy, dry finish

D - This is a great DIPA. It reminds me of of Bell's HopSlam - but it's not THAT great. (513 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a nice golden color and smells absolutely wonderful, mango pineapple, booze and a hint of resin. Taste is somewhat mellow in comparison to other virtual bottles of pine sol that make up this category but up front is resin citrus and light caramel with bitterness at the back. Mouthfeel was a bit lacking, not that well carbonated with a slightly oily feel. Drinkability is awesome, the alcohol is hidden so well. Might buy this again, not sure (449 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured bottle into pint glass.

A: Gold, slightly cloudy, min head, lacing

S: Citrus/hoppy aroma, hints of fruit and pine

T: Aroma would imply substantial bitterness, but hoppy bitterness is balanced with soft malt background

M: Moderate carbonation and body, smooth

D: Very enjoyable with balanced hops and malts. Not overtly bitter, but rather smooth and crisp all around. (378 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottom line, I love me some Southern Tier 2XIPA!!!

It's a crisp breath of fresh air for my quality IPA needs.
Call me crazy, but when I swish this brew around in my mouth, then swoosh some air over the top of it, it is comparable to smoking some damn good weed. It has a very "green" taste for sure!

I usually have a very short attention span, but when I sip on this beauty, I am able to focus on the flavor, and look forward to the next gulp immediately afterward. I enjoy this beer the most when I'm chilling SOLO, because when I'm in a social situation and I drink this one, I can only focus on how good this brew tastes, rather than engage in conversation. Southern Tier 2XIPA makes my girlfriend jealous!!!! (715 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a clear golden color. Decent head, lots of lacing and retention.

Smells piney, citrusy. Very hop-forward.

Tastes super hoppy. Not a lot of malts in there. Definitely bitter, kindof dries out your mouth.

Mouthfeel suffers a bit from the bitterness, but it's not too overpowering.

Drinkability is good, there is a bit of an alcohol aftertaste that kindof lingers a bit. (377 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +10%

Enjoying on tap as I type this.

Appearance: golden orange with a small white head.

Smell: citrusy hops with hints of alcohol. Surprisingly mild

Taste: great double IPA taste. Strong citrus flavor with an alcoholic kick

Mouthfeel: little bit of retainment that is typical of a double IPA. Strong alcoholic kick for 8.2%

Overall: I love double IPAs and this one is no exception. Would not hesitate to get again. (416 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +10%

Looks great, pours clear orange gold with a 3/4" white head. Leaves a generous amount of lace that I destroy with my constant OCD swirling.
Smells like... OMFG, smells like an honest to god west coast IPA, just minus the pine. Exactly what the East Coast needs, IMO. Pineapple, white raisin(?), oranges. Slight grapefruit, maybe just because I expect it.
Taste mirrors smell pretty well, except for my west coast statement. Bitterness is quite low, only really showing up on the finish and diminishing in the aftertaste, allowing the other flavors to really shine. Malt compliment is not overwhelming and honey-ish.
Mild carbonation that suits it well. Body is tricky. It's full enough on the palate, but it also has a light characteristic that makes me feel like I'm just swallowing air. Chuggability is high (not that I would).

This is my new go-to IPA. It is right there with Two Hearted: some days it seems world class, some days it's just that thing to drink for a while. Either way, it's always what belongs in the fridge.
If you dumped a bottle each of Hopslam and Plinny into a snifter, the result would be 2XIPA. (1,124 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

$1.99 for a 12oz siingle @ Merchants. Brewed with 4 hops and 3 malts. 8.2% ABV per the website.

Pours out to a hazy pale straw gold, forming a tenacious white head with superior retention and wonderful lacing. Moderately carbonated. The aroma is quite nice with piney hops, grapefruit, and a touch of skunk. I definitely smell Centennial with that mango bite. Mouthfeel is pleasantly biting, as an IPA should be, with a smooth malt middle and medium-dense body. The taste opens with mango and grapefruit, a touch of skunk and pine, with honeydew up front followed by a nice pale malt middle and a pleasant husky note, followed by a medium bitterness which isn't too strong...smooth enough to not hamper it's drinkability, and a round, smooth finish. No perceptable off-flavors.

This is a very good IPA, but I don't know that I would call it a DIPA. Along the lines of Stone IPA or Centennial. I would surely buy this again if the price were right. Recommended. (962 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Southern Tier coming through with a HUGE new entry into the market. Seriously, this beer is the heat. The funk. The shiz with a Z. Best new East Coast DIPA in a long time.

12oz bottle into my snifter. I can already smell it. The golden translucent body has a touch of orange highlights. Head falls quickly to a ring, white froth sticks around. Nice touch of lace considering the style and ABV.

Smell is HUGE hoppiness. Citrus funk. Lots of pine, grapefruit, simcoe cat piss, and just amazing depth of hops.

So, I've heard desparate (or optimistic) East Coasters make some crazy comparisons lately, and, as someone well versed in the nectar of the West, I must say with a heavy heart that the comparisons are unfounded. But this is a great beer, I'm not saying anything else, but it's not in Russian River territory. Look, it's just not quite the finesse of Elder. But the flavors are in the ballpark. And Younger? Forgetabout it. Not even close kids, mostly due to the ABV being just 2/3 of younger's. That's like Screech from Saved by the Bell getting in the ring with Tyson.

What we do have is a nice caramel sweetness just north of water. Perfect carb. Nice hoppy bitterness that matches the pine and citrus of the nose. I know, I'm mixing mouthfeel and taste together, so what, I'm loving this beer. A hair short of legendary, but I'd put this head to head VS Double Trouble and Hopslam any day.

Overall, I'm impressed. This is a great beer from Southern Tier, hoppy copper and clear, one of the best so far this year, and go get one - ya hear? (1,555 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +10%

A double IPA from a good brewery that's only $8.99 a six pack? No way I'm not giving this a try.

Pours a light orange/amber, smallish head to it. Aroma is of citrusy hops. Medium bodied, tons of flavor here. Nice hoppiness but it's not overbearing, balanced VERY well. Compared to most imperial/double IPA's this is a smooth drinker. Way too drinkable for its 8.2% ABV. Highly recommended, won't let you down. (410 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +10%

Poured a hazy golden color. Small white head. Light bodied, unusual for a double IPA, not as much hop character as a double IPA. Citrus, light pine. You would never guess this to be almost 8.5 percent. This is a very drinkable beer. Not your typical DOUBLE IPA but still very good. (281 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +10.3%

A- the beer is light in appearance, clear, not hazy.

S- holy cow, when I smell this beer I know there is no way I won't love it. The aroma is intoxicating in its own right and I don't think I even have to taste it to buy this beer again. Big floral hops, and piney and citrusy hops blossom as you inhale the sweet nectar.

T- this beer doesn't let you down at all on the palate. The taste is much like the smell and confirms my assumption that this beer will be a fixture in my refrigerator from now on. Hops, hops, hops.... yes I do love you. This is not a double IPA that has a clear/strong malt sweetness, it is just an intense hop bomb.

M- The beer is light on the tongue and the carbonation is just right for the style. Very fitting mouthfeel for this beer.

D- This beer doesn't drink like a beer that is 8.2% and I could definitely drink a couple of these. I do believe that I would leave it at that though due to the intense hop assault.

This is the first time I have tried this beer and I am so pleased that I have finally tried it. As I have mentioned, it will be a fixture at my home and will be consumed over and over again. I highly recommend this DIPA to all hop heads out there. (1,198 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance - This beer poured like a double IPA - thin due to the higher % alcohol. Most of the opaqueness was filtered out and it had an off-white head with average sustainability. It had a nice golden honey color and average carbonation.

Smell - This is where this beer hits a home run! Hops, hops and more hops. Citrus (grapefruit, lime/orange zest), with hints of earthy/grassy and floral undertones...this is what most IPA/2IPA beers strive to deliver. One of my favorites.

Taste - The beer's flavors are similar to the nose but with a touch of sweetness. Great balance for a all you hop lovers. A well balanced and a very delicious 2(X)IPA.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability - It drinks more like an IPA...Easier than most doubles. A bit thiner, and touch more carbonation than expected make this a very enjoyable beer. Would I buy again? I just bought a case!!!

Other - Serve in a tulip or snifter to really enjoy the hops aroma and serve at the temperature you prefer a pale ale or standard IPA (a few degrees cooler than a thicker, heartier 2IPA) for maximum enjoyment. (1,073 characters)

2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing Company