2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

2XIPA - Southern Tier Brewing Company

2XIPA2XIPA

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: mcallister on 04-28-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 3,056 | Reviews: 927 | Show All Ratings:
Stinkypuss

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

2XIPA
Southern Tier Brewing Company
Style: American Double / Imperial IPA
ABV: 8.20 %

Had at a special firkin tapping for Pittsburgh Craft Beer Week.

LOOK: Golden color, little head or lace. Perfect clarity and some carbonation bubbles rising lazily to the surface.

SMELL: Solid nose of orange and grapefruit, pine, earthy herb, honey baked bread, citrus oil.

TASTE: Balanced strong IPA with more citrus rind flavor, red ripe grapefruit and pine. The bitterness is restrained and there is a balance of the sweet malts and alcohol. Still, quite hoppy which is the best feature of this brew.

FEEL: The firkin really lended a softness to the feel, with a mild to low carbonation, and more or less clean finish.

OVERALL: A real treat of a beer, and I was happy to try it at the special tapping. It is almost as good on tap and in the bottle, but I must say this cask was the best 2XIPA that I have ever tasted.

04-29-2012 22:32:25 | More by Stinkypuss
ThickNStout

Georgia

From notes. 1/12/12.
On cask at Wild Wing's (Marietta, GA) Southern Tier beer dinner. Served in a Souther Tier snifter.

Thick pale gold w/ 1.5 finger pale head. Nice lacing.

Muted sweet hop aroma. Citris. Mild onion.

Great "dank" and citrisy hop explosion with a sweet malt backing. The cask gives it a long smooth sweet finish.

Medium thick and mildly sticky. Gives a nice coating on the tongue. The cask conditioning makes it less carbonated than bottles I've had.

I've enjoyed the bottles before but the cask takes this to a whole new level. Much smoother, thicker and sweeter. I could drink this all night.

01-14-2012 21:48:07 | More by ThickNStout
abeerlovr

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this served from a firkin poured into a standard pint glass. I saw the tapping of the firkin and this was the first pour. We knew of the tapping and got first in line :-)

A: nice clear golden yellow color, no head, not much carbonation due to this being served from a firkin...not hooked up to carbonation lines.

S: had a very mild citrus scent.

T: beautiful, does anyone call a beer beautiful. very well balanced for a double IPA; I expected over the top super hoppy, but his was not, the hop bitterness was more on the front of the mouth versus the back, smooth drink, not much on the way of carbonation.

M: refreshing, soft very soft carbonation.

Overall: I am glad I took the time out for a special tapping of a firkin. First time having this beer and I was impressed. I am not a big IPA drinker, but if more of them were as smooth as this one, I certainly could become a huge fan.

10-31-2011 18:47:51 | More by abeerlovr
musicforairports

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

Firkin at The Ruck in Troy, NY.

Very clear straw color, maybe a bit golden, with a small head that leaves some lacing. No bubbles.

Smells like a clean assortment of tropical fruit flavors, but not overwhelmingly so, with some sweeter, bready malt behind it.

Taste is lots of hop notes, largely tropical and with a bitter, citrus-peel quality. Definitely fresh. No malt.

Mouthfeel is light and clean and not very carbonated. Easy to drink.

Love this one. 2XIPA is once of the best East Coast IPAs when fresh, and I'm glad I found it on cask.

10-01-2011 03:21:48 | More by musicforairports
socon67

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

A - The pour is light orange. Kinda light for a DIPA.

S - Notes of pine and a hop medley. There is some citrus but less than most of this type.

T - A more subdued DIPA. All the goodies are here but it is less overpowering than I'm used to. For some, this is a good thing.

M - Surprisingly mellow and for a medium bodied DIPA Southern Tier made a very drinkable beer. Easy ot have a few.

O - Maybe not my go to DIPA but I admire that this is a solid beer.

04-11-2011 17:28:25 | More by socon67
burnheartsMKE

Wisconsin

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Tapped with a nice amount of carbonation. Pale color.

Smelled quite fresh and lively with a tropical fruit-forward nose.

Superbly drinkable. I actually had to tell myself to slow down. Light mouthfeel gave way to a refreshing, modest yet expertly hopped flavor. Well-blanced with a solid malt backbone.

One of the better cask ales I've had.

04-08-2011 06:08:43 | More by burnheartsMKE
bryanbullock

District of Columbia

3.7/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pour a extremely light golden hue with solid effervescence and bubbling carbonation. The light color was worrisome that it would lack flavor. Strong aroma of pine and bitter floral hops. Taste was better than the appearance indicated, smooth with good carbonation. Tastes of caramel and malt with balanced hops. This was a good beer.

04-19-2014 22:40:37 | More by bryanbullock
VanStrokin

4.46/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Great gold and copper color. Good foam when poured. The smell of the hops and the malts are very distinct. Great. The taste is very hoppy at first with that long lasting aftertaste. Very bubbling which quickly dissipates, leaving that good bitter taste on the tongue. Overall is a great IPA. Will be buying this again.

04-13-2014 23:28:23 | More by VanStrokin
sorryifyoudont

South Carolina

4.36/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Wonderful golden/light amber pour with a nice frothy head. Smell is hoppy but not super strong. Taste confused me at first, being an imperial ipa I expected a strong spicy hop taste but it was a very smooth finish almost a malty presence. Southern tier never disappoints and every should give this beer a chance.

04-10-2014 00:00:46 | More by sorryifyoudont
exposd

1.95/5  rDev -51.7%

By just looking at this beer poured in a glass it looks more like a light domestic than an DIPA and it definitely doesn't taste like a x2 either. The only real taste that stands out to me is the taste of alcohol... This brew leaves me searching for more depth in flavor and that's for sure where it's lacking. Glad I only have one 12oz. bottle and not a 6 pack to drink.

04-08-2014 05:06:11 | More by exposd
ThePaintedGrey

3.89/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz. bottle poured into imperial pint glass.

A: Pours a clear, pristine gold... Odd, I thought I was drinking an DIPA? This doesn't even look like a regular IPA... The only thing that sets this apart from fizzy, gold adult soda is the two-finger fluffy head that eventually dissipates to a creamy cap that leaves respectable lacing. Even with the lacing, I can't get over the BMC look of this DIPA.

S: Oh, thank the Heavens this definitely isn't an AAL. Hops galore! Lots of grapefruit and orange zest, with a bit of pineapple around the edges. Some really earthy pine resin and grass add another bitter element. Very weak malt tries to peak through, but is ultimately dominated by the hops as well as a little bit of metallic booze.

T: Hop flavors are extremely fresh. Big bursts of juicy grapefruit, orange peel, there's another flavor going on here that I almost want to identify as passionfruit, but I'm not quite sure. It's very faint. Slightly sweet caramel malt presence is mild and doesn't really offer much, but it's still there. A good hint of balance, I suppose. Finish is mostly a strong pine flavor with a lingering weird alcohol aftertaste—kind of like diluted rubbing alcohol. It's truly a shame. The flavors of 2XIPA are wonderful up until the aftertaste...

M: Not quite as full as most DIPAs. This one drinks more like a regular IPA in that it's crisp, smooth, not too creamy, and it's extremely refreshing. I would have enjoyed a fuller body like those boasted by the maltier DIPAs, but this is too good to honestly complain about.

O: Southern Tier 2XIPA is a very good beer in its own right, but with it being a DIPA, I can't ignore the fact that it tastes and feels more like an extremely good IPA. Like I said, not a bad brew and it will certainly appeal to any hophead, but if you're looking for an outstanding DIPA, look elsewhere. This one's merely just quite good.

04-08-2014 01:50:54 | More by ThePaintedGrey
TheSixthRing

4.01/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Pours a semi-clear golden orange with an off-white finger width head. Fair retention results in a thin layer of surface suds. Leaves a fair bit of lacing around the glass with good stick.

Smell - The nose is mostly hoppy, hitting on floral character with light earth and citrus notes.

Taste - Follows the nose. Floral hoppiness with touches of earth and spice. Light malty backbone which consists of bread and slight caramel character. A fair touch of ruby red grapefruit bittersweetness hits near the finish, giving this a really nice aftertaste. Wish the flavors were more pronounced, but delicious as is.

Mouthfeel - Light in body with lively carbonation. Goes down with a great silky smoothness. The highlight of this beer.

Overall - Pretty light for a DIPA, but smooth, drinkable and balanced all the same. A beer that comes across better than the sum of its parts. Would be sessionable if not for the deceptively high ABV. A definite winner, IMO.

04-06-2014 03:30:56 | More by TheSixthRing
Jay_Ulreich

Indiana

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

A-For a DIPA I always expect them to be darker and have more head... but lately they never do. Looks like a lighter beer.... Always strikes me as weird.
S- Smells pretty good, really hoppy, earthy and citrus, reminds me of Unearthly. Actually, I havent had that in awhile... You sure this isnt that? :)
T- Hmmm this is very tasty and I like it alot. Its kinda sweet, but thats okay. Smooth and easy drinking. I detect a bit ofg alcohol. Hops are a lil bit bitter, more earthy and flowery, citrus is in there somewhere.
M- Nice, its a bit thicker than Id hink considering the light color, I like it.
Overall, this is a pretty good DIPA for only 9 bucks a 6er. Id buy it again. I wouldnt search it out though.

03-30-2014 04:58:25 | More by Jay_Ulreich
deltatauhobbit

Maine

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a clean looking golden yellow with about a finger of head, what head there is fades slowly basically leaving a cap on top, no lacing on the glass though.

Smell has a very flowery aroma, picking up citrus and pine and a strong presence of sweet malt, touches of other light fruit as well, even picking up an almost apricot aroma.

Taste starts out with a strong piney front, quickly fades to the sweet malt backing which also quickly leaves and finishes with a semi-bitter finish, citrus and light fruit flavors linger about, carbonation is medium to medium-high with an appropriate body.

03-29-2014 01:59:28 | More by deltatauhobbit
Jennz906

3.61/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

my first review:
My ASTMO: =
APPEARANCE - A Nice Gold, or a dense urine color, pretty pale with a head about 1cm maybe lower. I'd say average.
SMELL- I'm not very knowledgeable in the smells but I'd say possibly a piney and floral smell.
TASTE- Bitter, with a burst an Strong after taste, but it's hard to say due to the 3 different malts and 4 hops.
MOUTHFEEL- Highly Carbonated, but not too strong with an easy feel.
OVERALL-

03-24-2014 05:02:37 | More by Jennz906
Michael-McManaman

3.76/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Very nice yellow/gold with an average head (about 1 cm). S: very floral maybe a hint of citrus but the hoppy scent just wasn't there for me. T: Quite bitter but not as bitter as I had hoped for when I picked up a "Double IPA" but still great flavor. M: above average carbonation and it goes down easily. OA: I liked this beer a lot actually as an IPA, it had great bitterness and a high ABV. But not a 2xIPA I recommend it and I really enjoyed it.

03-24-2014 04:15:52 | More by Michael-McManaman
BurdockBoy

Oregon

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: yellow/amber
S: mild hops and malt.
T: a very good for an IPA, but pretty weak for a DIPA. Still, I felt the 8.2%. Nice citrus grapefruit taste with a pleasant aftertaste.
M: not too dry not too moist.
OA: again, more of an IPA. Very drinkable. A nice summery beer.

03-16-2014 03:25:17 | More by BurdockBoy
Bone53

3.76/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap into a pint glass.

Appearance: See through light golden color with a small white head. Looks more like a lager or pilsner than a DIPA

Smell: Cirtus hops with bready malt, and both seem stale compared to other DIPA's I've had.

Taste: Citrus hops, grapefruit, and a touch of malt. I enjoy the floral aftertaste. I get the 8.2% as well

Mouthfeel: Quite smooth, although its moderately bitter. Drinkable for a double

Overall: It's drinkable and the aromas and flavors are there but they don't seem as fresh or pronounced as I prefer in a DIPA. Decent enough

02-25-2014 19:55:39 | More by Bone53
Diggitydustin

West Virginia

4.09/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Bought a 6er. Drank half from the bottle, poured the other 3 into my jumbo mug. The bottle is pretty plain, not much detail about the brew on it. The color of the beer is a light golden color. Fluffy head that dissipated fairly quickly.

Smell: a lot of pine scent coming from this, which is common for a double IPA. Also a subtle fruity scent. I dig it.

Taste: magnificent. Not very strong at all. Most double IPAs are relatively strong and kinda hard to drink in my opinion. Not this one. Very easy to drink.

Mouthfeel: like I previously said, this wet is very easy to drink. Not too overpowering on the palates or the throat. However, this beer is pretty strong and definitely not for for the inexperienced.

Overall: a great beer. I enjoyed every second of this 12 pack. The 8.2% ABV definitely packs a punch. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys a hoppy IPA. Cheers and enjoy

02-23-2014 23:22:19 | More by Diggitydustin
Labeorphile

3.69/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into an oversized wine glass. Light gold color, very clear with a fluffy head that quickly disappears to a soapy ring leaving some lacing down the side.

Nose is lots of piney hops, leather as well with some sweetness.

Taste is very piney and bitter, but I can't find the sweetness that was in the nose. Very bitter in the aftertaste, which is a turnoff to me in IPAs. I like them bitter up front, but smooth on the finish, which I realize is tough to do.

Somewhat drinkable with a slightly bubbly mouth. Not my favorite IPA, but somewhere in the middle of the pack.

02-21-2014 03:04:32 | More by Labeorphile
Groceryboi

3.4/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had a lot of DIPA and this one is middle of the road. Very drinkable, as it warms it gets slightly better. It has a great piney taste, that is a attribute that I look for in all DIPA & IPA's. With a 8.2% ABV it doesn't have that strong taste as you would think for a higher alcohol content.

02-19-2014 01:53:58 | More by Groceryboi
John87

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A- Poured into a small tulip glass. Light Orange/brown color. Not as cloudy- more transparent then I expected. Not much of a head. lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - Smells of Grapefruit, alcohol, leather, juniper

T - Somewhat bitter upfront. Piney, minimally sweet. tastes of alcohol, and grapefruit. Not too much on the back end. Aftertaste is strong.

M - Light feel, Foams up easily as it hits the tongue. Dry.

Overall - Not my favorite IPA, but it definitely does its job whenever I'm looking for a good, bitter IPA. I think it could use a bit more hop flavor instead of the straight bitterness that plagues most IPA's I've tried. A Bit to dry for me as well; it could use a bigger malt backing.
Overall, I think it is still better than most.

02-18-2014 05:00:02 | More by John87
phishsihq

Colorado

4.23/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

The beer pours a clear, orange-golden color with a thin, eggshell head settling atop the brew. Big simcoe hop aromas burst from the glass. Grapefruit, orange, and tropical fruit aromatics join slight pine resin notes and a touch toasted bread. Caramel and lightly toasted malt flavors are quickly subdued by big flavors of tropical fruit, grapefruit, lemon zest, and a touch of pepper. Very well balanced, this beer is medium-light in body with a slightly lower than expected amount of carbonation. Extremely drinkable, this beer seems to come off more as a double Pale Ale than a double Indian Pale Ale.

02-17-2014 02:16:45 | More by phishsihq
illpass78

Maine

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a light, clear gold with a puffy white head. Head recedes slowly from an inch to a quarter inch to a white film. Lacing is heavy and carbonation more than average. Looks deceptively like a straight lager or pilsner.

Aroma: Kablamo. This is going to be bitter. Lots of floral and citrus aromas in the nose. Surprisingly little booziness considering the ABV. Some lemon and grapefruit is noticeable. Lots and lots of hops dominate the aroma.

Taste: Tastes more bitter than it smells. Lots and lots of hop bite. The complexity is right there - grapefruit dominates, but orange, lemon and grassiness are very present. It's a well executed IPA and the flavors will appeal to fans of the style. I'd call it a sipper - the hop strength is too much to session this one. Alcohol is surprisingly muted.

Mouthfeel: Good body. Drinkable but not watery. The remaining foam is pleasant on the palate as it warms.

Overall: If you like big IPAs, I feel like you've had this. If you haven't, seek it. Maybe not a beer for the casual drinker, but a must-have for IPA fans. Also a good companion for a good meal. I had this with BBQ tempeh, French fries and Brussels sprouts and it fit the bill.

02-13-2014 01:08:27 | More by illpass78
THE-DUDE

Missouri

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

I am not sure this is really a Double IPA. The alcohol content suggests that it is but it does't have the full body of most DIPAs. It is very hoppy of course, but as it warms I taste a grassy flavor and pine. It finishes with carmel malty hues. Very drinkable.

01-30-2014 04:08:55 | More by THE-DUDE