2XIPA - Southern Tier Brewing Company

New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 04-28-2010

Ratings: 4,108 | Reviews: 1,026
3.06/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Smooth and hoppy without a big bite.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Disclaimer: I am a hophead and this is my session IPA. I will always want to try differ beers and differ styles but if this is on tap, hard for me to avoid. Today, wanted it,walked to a couple (local in walking distance) bars to get it on tap. : ). I consider this a "1.5" IPA. It's not quite a double but def not a single. More of a crisp, clean IPA, no real malt, but nothing on the citrussy side, more of a lemony, organic taste. No real sweetness or floral flavor like a Racer 5 or 2 hearted, just straight hops with a touch of slight fruit bite. Settles smoothly on the tongue and even after taste. I could drink these all night, although at my age and # of kids! that won't happen any time soon. LOL. Becoming a big fan of Southern Tier.

4.84/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Very good imperial IPA, I love how it is not overly carbonated.

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Solid DIPA. Nothing amazing here.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Very earthy flavors, you won't be disappointed

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This one is a hop showcase. A twelve oz bottle from a Southern Tier DIPA 12 pack. Solid gold beer with a dusting of haze. Eggshell head leaves a nice amount of lace. Gentle carbonation.

Nose pushes pine and mild citrus with light notes of mango followed by pineapple. Light caramel malt gives just enough bread and sweetness. Clean American yeast profile.

Taste lets the hops shine. Big pine up front with a grapefruit and skin body. Finish flows from the grapefruit flesh to hop oil that dry the mouth. Malt is there but not in a big way. Caramel and dough.

Feel is full and creamy. A smooth and pleasurable.

This is a solid and delightful beer that goes down like a lower abv brew. You could fool yourself into thiking this is a session ale until you fall on your face. Its hop forward construct and light malt body ecourage sip after dry and quenching sip. Nice beer.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A pretty good hop head DIPA. Very hop forward with little malt backbone to offset.

Probably would not seek out and purchase again. Only because it's hard to get near me and there are other DIPA'S that I prefer and are readily available. Still pretty tasty though.

3.97/5  rDev -1.5%

Strong citrusy hops aroma, dry bitter hops up front with a smoothy slightly malty finish. Good brew!

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Not my favorite beer. I saw another reviewer say this beer is cheap, I need to send him money to buy me beer because any Southern Tier 6 pack is 12.99 in DE. Underwhelmed by this beer, too one note for me.

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Excellent aroma, big, clean, citrus and troical fruit aromas. Juicy ripe fruit.

Nice citrus hop taste, slight pine, slight troical notes. Beautiful array of hops, not much in terms of a malt background. Very clean tasting.

Nice and enjoyable, revisiting this one after a long hiatus. Sometimes you forget how solid some of the standard year round offerings are.

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This is my first review since it is now required. I feel completely inadequate to the task. I was looking forward to this but it just didn't thrill me. I am trying to figure out what characteristics I like so I will note a few things from Southern Tier's website:

FERMENTATION: Ale yeast, four types of hops, three types of malts
COLOR: Deep gold
EFFERVESCENCE: Generous carbonation, thirst-quenching
NOSE: Citrus, floral hops, a bit piney
FLAVOR: Grapefruit, bitter lemon, doughy sweetness
BITTERNESS: Medium-high
BODY: Medium bodied and smooth, resinous.

Update. Not sure what happened but I really love this beer now.

4.26/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good IPA that can be bought anywhere, as a go to beer! As always DRINK FRESH!

3.52/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Fairly average dbl. IPA,not in love nor do I hate it.It's okay but I would not buy it again. But, at the same price as Corona for 6 pack, maybe I will.

2.79/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Underwhelming in appearance, though nicely laced the glass. This is strong, a little malty, and just not to my tastes for hops - almost a skunky/off flavor.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

A very drinkable, balanced, and cheap IPA. This one goes down smooth. Almost too smooth for the abv. The finish lingers with a nice citrusy hope presence and leaves you wanting more. For only $35 a case this is an amazing beer.

4.79/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very nice IPA from Southern Tier. Nice hoppy nose and initial flavor, with lingering florals. Good kick, at 8.2, so don't let the pleasant taste fool you. The "pick" of the ST Super Pack.

Tell me a better NY IPA...

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Decent beer, but the non 2x beers have better flavor profiles and finish much better. I thought this beer sacrificed flavor for more hops.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Pours a bright gold with a thin head that trailed the glass. The smell was overloaded with hop scents of citrus and herb. The taste was a powerful punch of different hops that added grapefruit, lemon, as well as some pine flavors. I thought it was great and I think so would most hop heads. A clean finish made this one a great beer and I would highly recommend trying it if you haven't yet.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Surprising excellence for a beer of so little fanfare. Definitely has my preferred flavor profile and ratio of bitter to sweet, though not my preferred hop character (the grapefruit-rind bitterness isn't ideal). Wife loves it.

Note to self: great beer for a party, if a little strong.

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

2Xipa pours a nice big golden color with a big lacing head. There is a very big and bold hoppy and malty aroma. The taste is big, very malty, with big hop flavors coming through too. Nice body and flavors. Overall its a bit too malty, and the hop flavor has a strange fit.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I've been wanting to try this beer for a long time. Had it on tap. Here goes:

A: Just OK. While there is a very adequate head, while the beer leaves a ton of lacing, and while there's a lot of carbonation (and I mean a lot - beer was bubbling until complete consumption), the beer has a straw-yellow color that resembles an American adjunct lager.

S: Very mild for a DIPA. Has citrus and mango (indicating citra hops), but the malt is not apparent. Wish they would've upped the scents.

T: Much better than the smell. Tropical mango, grapefruit and citrus - the beer has a very floral presence. The only drawback is the lack of malt character, which is surprising given how alcoholic this beer is. In conclusion, while there are a lot of hops, the beer is somewhat lacking in the malt department.

M: Great carbonation. Very full-bodied despite appearance.

O: Great beer but some drawbacks. Only for hopheads.

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

Great every day beer. Easy drinking. Wonderful flavor. Drinks like a session I PA with the kick of a double.. I love this ale. I'm sitting at a bar with 20 taps, and this is my number 1 choice.

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

Great affordable everyday drinking beer. Nice golden color and no bitter after-taste. This is to date my favorite regular IPA

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Light Citric Element Reminds Me Why I Like Double IPAs. Great Brewery Great Beers

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

It pours a dark hazy yellow with a smaller head. It has a light aroma of bitter citrus that you can really only smell when you put your nose to the glass. It is very bitter and hoppy. There are light floral and citrus flavors present.

2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing Company