2XIPA - Southern Tier Brewing Company

New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 04-28-2010

Ratings: 4,112 | Reviews: 1,028
3.21/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottled 1-16-14, so there is that to consider.

Not really a lot going on here, my peeps. And when I say, "not a lot," I almost mean nothing at all. Woo Doggy. This sucker has decent reviews so Raul is assuming that this bad boi spoils quicker than a big stick in the sun. Minimal aroma, like walking down the citrus aisle at the .99 cent store - yeah, not much. Taste? Where? Been missing longer than Amelia Earhart...

Of course the main man would like to get his 2x on fresh, but as for now it's a pass.

4.04/5  rDev +0.2%

A- Ample head that quickly dissipated but left solid lacing. Clear yellow gold in in color. Nice effervescence continues, very lively.

S- I'm not sensing any overwhelming scents but what is there is pleasant.

T- I am rapidly plowing through the first glass from the growler, usually a good sign as far as taste is concerned. Definitely a conformist to the DIPA game plan but enjoyable because of it. No off notes, just another easy drinking DIPA.

M- Not getting the stickiness that I get from some DIPA's but it's smooth and straightforward.

O- I'm glad I picked this DIPA up, I'm blessed with a beverage store that rotates their growler taps and I'm trying to drink as many different beers as I can. This particular DIPA didn't launch past others I've tried but it held its own.

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: pours a 3" fluffy white head that recedes slowly with significant lacing. Color is deep golden and mostly clear, but there is a tiny bit of sediment present. Carbonation is heavy.
Aroma: heavy citrus presence -- orange, tangerine, and grapefruit. There is also some mild malt sweetness.
Mouthfeel: medium bodied and sticky with a mostly dry finish.
Flavor: echoes the aroma. The citrus hops are powerful throughout the taste but there is some pleasant malt sweetness in the middle and finish.

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Southern Tier makes some of my favorite stouts. Have yet to try their IPA until right now. As I write this review is THE first time I'm trying it. Dogfish Head is usually my go-to for IPA's.

Look: Golden yellow, not clear. Has a hazy look to it. About one finger of fluffy head. Leaves good lacing as the beer is drank.

Smell: Flowers, grassy, sweet citrus, hops. Pretty standard for an IPA.

Taste: Grapefruit, somewhat lemony. Definitely has a hoppy finish, but it's not overpowering. I like it that way. One of the better IPA's I've had. This is how I want an IPA to taste.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light-medium bodied. Easy drinking. I'm already half way through the glass in a matter of minutes.

Overall: I'm not really an IPA kind of guy. I like some, but I've had a lot of highly regarded IPA's that I absolutely hated. I don't review them because I feel in order to review a beer, I need to get through a full glass. And some IPA's, I just can't. They taste like I'm drinking soap. But the 2XIPA isn't that way. It has a nice sweet blend to ease the bitter hops. It rivals DFH 90 minute. I would definitely drink more 2XIPA, and may go down as one of the great IPA's, as far as I'm concerned.

3.66/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pour a extremely light golden hue with solid effervescence and bubbling carbonation. The light color was worrisome that it would lack flavor. Strong aroma of pine and bitter floral hops. Taste was better than the appearance indicated, smooth with good carbonation. Tastes of caramel and malt with balanced hops. This was a good beer.

4.46/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Great gold and copper color. Good foam when poured. The smell of the hops and the malts are very distinct. Great. The taste is very hoppy at first with that long lasting aftertaste. Very bubbling which quickly dissipates, leaving that good bitter taste on the tongue. Overall is a great IPA. Will be buying this again.

4.36/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Wonderful golden/light amber pour with a nice frothy head. Smell is hoppy but not super strong. Taste confused me at first, being an imperial ipa I expected a strong spicy hop taste but it was a very smooth finish almost a malty presence. Southern tier never disappoints and every should give this beer a chance.

1.9/5  rDev -52.9%

By just looking at this beer poured in a glass it looks more like a light domestic than an DIPA and it definitely doesn't taste like a x2 either. The only real taste that stands out to me is the taste of alcohol... This brew leaves me searching for more depth in flavor and that's for sure where it's lacking. Glad I only have one 12oz. bottle and not a 6 pack to drink.

3.87/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz. bottle poured into imperial pint glass.

A: Pours a clear, pristine gold... Odd, I thought I was drinking an DIPA? This doesn't even look like a regular IPA... The only thing that sets this apart from fizzy, gold adult soda is the two-finger fluffy head that eventually dissipates to a creamy cap that leaves respectable lacing. Even with the lacing, I can't get over the BMC look of this DIPA.

S: Oh, thank the Heavens this definitely isn't an AAL. Hops galore! Lots of grapefruit and orange zest, with a bit of pineapple around the edges. Some really earthy pine resin and grass add another bitter element. Very weak malt tries to peak through, but is ultimately dominated by the hops as well as a little bit of metallic booze.

T: Hop flavors are extremely fresh. Big bursts of juicy grapefruit, orange peel, there's another flavor going on here that I almost want to identify as passionfruit, but I'm not quite sure. It's very faint. Slightly sweet caramel malt presence is mild and doesn't really offer much, but it's still there. A good hint of balance, I suppose. Finish is mostly a strong pine flavor with a lingering weird alcohol aftertaste—kind of like diluted rubbing alcohol. It's truly a shame. The flavors of 2XIPA are wonderful up until the aftertaste...

M: Not quite as full as most DIPAs. This one drinks more like a regular IPA in that it's crisp, smooth, not too creamy, and it's extremely refreshing. I would have enjoyed a fuller body like those boasted by the maltier DIPAs, but this is too good to honestly complain about.

O: Southern Tier 2XIPA is a very good beer in its own right, but with it being a DIPA, I can't ignore the fact that it tastes and feels more like an extremely good IPA. Like I said, not a bad brew and it will certainly appeal to any hophead, but if you're looking for an outstanding DIPA, look elsewhere. This one's merely just quite good.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Pours a semi-clear golden orange with an off-white finger width head. Fair retention results in a thin layer of surface suds. Leaves a fair bit of lacing around the glass with good stick.

Smell - The nose is mostly hoppy, hitting on floral character with light earth and citrus notes.

Taste - Follows the nose. Floral hoppiness with touches of earth and spice. Light malty backbone which consists of bread and slight caramel character. A fair touch of ruby red grapefruit bittersweetness hits near the finish, giving this a really nice aftertaste. Wish the flavors were more pronounced, but delicious as is.

Mouthfeel - Light in body with lively carbonation. Goes down with a great silky smoothness. The highlight of this beer.

Overall - Pretty light for a DIPA, but smooth, drinkable and balanced all the same. A beer that comes across better than the sum of its parts. Would be sessionable if not for the deceptively high ABV. A definite winner, IMO.

3.95/5  rDev -2%

A-For a DIPA I always expect them to be darker and have more head... but lately they never do. Looks like a lighter beer.... Always strikes me as weird.
S- Smells pretty good, really hoppy, earthy and citrus, reminds me of Unearthly. Actually, I havent had that in awhile... You sure this isnt that? :)
T- Hmmm this is very tasty and I like it alot. Its kinda sweet, but thats okay. Smooth and easy drinking. I detect a bit ofg alcohol. Hops are a lil bit bitter, more earthy and flowery, citrus is in there somewhere.
M- Nice, its a bit thicker than Id hink considering the light color, I like it.
Overall, this is a pretty good DIPA for only 9 bucks a 6er. Id buy it again. I wouldnt search it out though.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

Pours a clean looking golden yellow with about a finger of head, what head there is fades slowly basically leaving a cap on top, no lacing on the glass though.

Smell has a very flowery aroma, picking up citrus and pine and a strong presence of sweet malt, touches of other light fruit as well, even picking up an almost apricot aroma.

Taste starts out with a strong piney front, quickly fades to the sweet malt backing which also quickly leaves and finishes with a semi-bitter finish, citrus and light fruit flavors linger about, carbonation is medium to medium-high with an appropriate body.

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

my first review:
My ASTMO: =
APPEARANCE - A Nice Gold, or a dense urine color, pretty pale with a head about 1cm maybe lower. I'd say average.
SMELL- I'm not very knowledgeable in the smells but I'd say possibly a piney and floral smell.
TASTE- Bitter, with a burst an Strong after taste, but it's hard to say due to the 3 different malts and 4 hops.
MOUTHFEEL- Highly Carbonated, but not too strong with an easy feel.
OVERALL-

3.74/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Very nice yellow/gold with an average head (about 1 cm). S: very floral maybe a hint of citrus but the hoppy scent just wasn't there for me. T: Quite bitter but not as bitter as I had hoped for when I picked up a "Double IPA" but still great flavor. M: above average carbonation and it goes down easily. OA: I liked this beer a lot actually as an IPA, it had great bitterness and a high ABV. But not a 2xIPA I recommend it and I really enjoyed it.

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: yellow/amber
S: mild hops and malt.
T: a very good for an IPA, but pretty weak for a DIPA. Still, I felt the 8.2%. Nice citrus grapefruit taste with a pleasant aftertaste.
M: not too dry not too moist.
OA: again, more of an IPA. Very drinkable. A nice summery beer.

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Claddaghs

Appearance: See through light golden color with a small white head. Looks more like a lager or pilsner than a DIPA

Smell: Cirtus hops with bready malt

Taste: Citrus hops (predominantly orange, lemon, and grapefruit), and a touch of sweet bready malt. I enjoy the floral aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Quite smooth, although its moderately bitter. Drinkable for a double, and very refreshing

Overall: It's drinkable and the aromas and flavors are what i go for in a DIPA. Bright citrus fruits with a undertone of sweet bready malts. It also has a great mouthfeel and is very refreshing. Its definitely a great beer and will probably be a staple in my fridge from now on

4.06/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Bought a 6er. Drank half from the bottle, poured the other 3 into my jumbo mug. The bottle is pretty plain, not much detail about the brew on it. The color of the beer is a light golden color. Fluffy head that dissipated fairly quickly.

Smell: a lot of pine scent coming from this, which is common for a double IPA. Also a subtle fruity scent. I dig it.

Taste: magnificent. Not very strong at all. Most double IPAs are relatively strong and kinda hard to drink in my opinion. Not this one. Very easy to drink.

Mouthfeel: like I previously said, this wet is very easy to drink. Not too overpowering on the palates or the throat. However, this beer is pretty strong and definitely not for for the inexperienced.

Overall: a great beer. I enjoyed every second of this 12 pack. The 8.2% ABV definitely packs a punch. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys a hoppy IPA. Cheers and enjoy

3.71/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into an oversized wine glass. Light gold color, very clear with a fluffy head that quickly disappears to a soapy ring leaving some lacing down the side.

Nose is lots of piney hops, leather as well with some sweetness.

Taste is very piney and bitter, but I can't find the sweetness that was in the nose. Very bitter in the aftertaste, which is a turnoff to me in IPAs. I like them bitter up front, but smooth on the finish, which I realize is tough to do.

Somewhat drinkable with a slightly bubbly mouth. Not my favorite IPA, but somewhere in the middle of the pack.

3.38/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had a lot of DIPA and this one is middle of the road. Very drinkable, as it warms it gets slightly better. It has a great piney taste, that is a attribute that I look for in all DIPA & IPA's. With a 8.2% ABV it doesn't have that strong taste as you would think for a higher alcohol content.

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A- Poured into a small tulip glass. Light Orange/brown color. Not as cloudy- more transparent then I expected. Not much of a head. lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - Smells of Grapefruit, alcohol, leather, juniper

T - Somewhat bitter upfront. Piney, minimally sweet. tastes of alcohol, and grapefruit. Not too much on the back end. Aftertaste is strong.

M - Light feel, Foams up easily as it hits the tongue. Dry.

Overall - Not my favorite IPA, but it definitely does its job whenever I'm looking for a good, bitter IPA. I think it could use a bit more hop flavor instead of the straight bitterness that plagues most IPA's I've tried. A Bit to dry for me as well; it could use a bigger malt backing.
Overall, I think it is still better than most.

4.23/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

The beer pours a clear, orange-golden color with a thin, eggshell head settling atop the brew. Big simcoe hop aromas burst from the glass. Grapefruit, orange, and tropical fruit aromatics join slight pine resin notes and a touch toasted bread. Caramel and lightly toasted malt flavors are quickly subdued by big flavors of tropical fruit, grapefruit, lemon zest, and a touch of pepper. Very well balanced, this beer is medium-light in body with a slightly lower than expected amount of carbonation. Extremely drinkable, this beer seems to come off more as a double Pale Ale than a double Indian Pale Ale.

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a light, clear gold with a puffy white head. Head recedes slowly from an inch to a quarter inch to a white film. Lacing is heavy and carbonation more than average. Looks deceptively like a straight lager or pilsner.

Aroma: Kablamo. This is going to be bitter. Lots of floral and citrus aromas in the nose. Surprisingly little booziness considering the ABV. Some lemon and grapefruit is noticeable. Lots and lots of hops dominate the aroma.

Taste: Tastes more bitter than it smells. Lots and lots of hop bite. The complexity is right there - grapefruit dominates, but orange, lemon and grassiness are very present. It's a well executed IPA and the flavors will appeal to fans of the style. I'd call it a sipper - the hop strength is too much to session this one. Alcohol is surprisingly muted.

Mouthfeel: Good body. Drinkable but not watery. The remaining foam is pleasant on the palate as it warms.

Overall: If you like big IPAs, I feel like you've had this. If you haven't, seek it. Maybe not a beer for the casual drinker, but a must-have for IPA fans. Also a good companion for a good meal. I had this with BBQ tempeh, French fries and Brussels sprouts and it fit the bill.

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

I am not sure this is really a Double IPA. The alcohol content suggests that it is but it does't have the full body of most DIPAs. It is very hoppy of course, but as it warms I taste a grassy flavor and pine. It finishes with carmel malty hues. Very drinkable.

4.44/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce into pint glass. WOW!!! My new favorite IPA. Big, bold, fruity, hoppy, balanced, amazing. Like a gesyer of deliciousness exploding on my palette. Mouthfeel increases the flavor as you swallow (thats what she said). Drink this beer with passion and joy because thats what Southern Tier put into this Double IPA. Cheers!

3.95/5  rDev -2%

12 oz bottle. Pours deep golden with short lived white head and lively carbonation. Aroma is of citrusy and piney hops, biscuit malt and oranges. Body is full and tangy. Citrusy, piney hops dominate the flavor with pale malt and ripe fruit provide support. Finish is long and bitter. Very nice brew. Goes down easily despite high alcohol.

2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing Company