Join our email list →

American Double / Imperial IPA | 8.20% ABV

Beer added by: mcallister on 04-28-2010

Reviews: 1,020 | Hads: 4,324
3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

A-For a DIPA I always expect them to be darker and have more head... but lately they never do. Looks like a lighter beer.... Always strikes me as weird.
S- Smells pretty good, really hoppy, earthy and citrus, reminds me of Unearthly. Actually, I havent had that in awhile... You sure this isnt that? :)
T- Hmmm this is very tasty and I like it alot. Its kinda sweet, but thats okay. Smooth and easy drinking. I detect a bit ofg alcohol. Hops are a lil bit bitter, more earthy and flowery, citrus is in there somewhere.
M- Nice, its a bit thicker than Id hink considering the light color, I like it.
Overall, this is a pretty good DIPA for only 9 bucks a 6er. Id buy it again. I wouldnt search it out though.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a clean looking golden yellow with about a finger of head, what head there is fades slowly basically leaving a cap on top, no lacing on the glass though.

Smell has a very flowery aroma, picking up citrus and pine and a strong presence of sweet malt, touches of other light fruit as well, even picking up an almost apricot aroma.

Taste starts out with a strong piney front, quickly fades to the sweet malt backing which also quickly leaves and finishes with a semi-bitter finish, citrus and light fruit flavors linger about, carbonation is medium to medium-high with an appropriate body.

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

my first review:
My ASTMO: =
APPEARANCE - A Nice Gold, or a dense urine color, pretty pale with a head about 1cm maybe lower. I'd say average.
SMELL- I'm not very knowledgeable in the smells but I'd say possibly a piney and floral smell.
TASTE- Bitter, with a burst an Strong after taste, but it's hard to say due to the 3 different malts and 4 hops.
MOUTHFEEL- Highly Carbonated, but not too strong with an easy feel.
OVERALL-

3.74/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Very nice yellow/gold with an average head (about 1 cm). S: very floral maybe a hint of citrus but the hoppy scent just wasn't there for me. T: Quite bitter but not as bitter as I had hoped for when I picked up a "Double IPA" but still great flavor. M: above average carbonation and it goes down easily. OA: I liked this beer a lot actually as an IPA, it had great bitterness and a high ABV. But not a 2xIPA I recommend it and I really enjoyed it.

3.58/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: yellow/amber
S: mild hops and malt.
T: a very good for an IPA, but pretty weak for a DIPA. Still, I felt the 8.2%. Nice citrus grapefruit taste with a pleasant aftertaste.
M: not too dry not too moist.
OA: again, more of an IPA. Very drinkable. A nice summery beer.

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Claddaghs

Appearance: See through light golden color with a small white head. Looks more like a lager or pilsner than a DIPA

Smell: Cirtus hops with bready malt

Taste: Citrus hops (predominantly orange, lemon, and grapefruit), and a touch of sweet bready malt. I enjoy the floral aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Quite smooth, although its moderately bitter. Drinkable for a double, and very refreshing

Overall: It's drinkable and the aromas and flavors are what i go for in a DIPA. Bright citrus fruits with a undertone of sweet bready malts. It also has a great mouthfeel and is very refreshing. Its definitely a great beer and will probably be a staple in my fridge from now on

4.06/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Bought a 6er. Drank half from the bottle, poured the other 3 into my jumbo mug. The bottle is pretty plain, not much detail about the brew on it. The color of the beer is a light golden color. Fluffy head that dissipated fairly quickly.

Smell: a lot of pine scent coming from this, which is common for a double IPA. Also a subtle fruity scent. I dig it.

Taste: magnificent. Not very strong at all. Most double IPAs are relatively strong and kinda hard to drink in my opinion. Not this one. Very easy to drink.

Mouthfeel: like I previously said, this wet is very easy to drink. Not too overpowering on the palates or the throat. However, this beer is pretty strong and definitely not for for the inexperienced.

Overall: a great beer. I enjoyed every second of this 12 pack. The 8.2% ABV definitely packs a punch. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys a hoppy IPA. Cheers and enjoy

3.71/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into an oversized wine glass. Light gold color, very clear with a fluffy head that quickly disappears to a soapy ring leaving some lacing down the side.

Nose is lots of piney hops, leather as well with some sweetness.

Taste is very piney and bitter, but I can't find the sweetness that was in the nose. Very bitter in the aftertaste, which is a turnoff to me in IPAs. I like them bitter up front, but smooth on the finish, which I realize is tough to do.

Somewhat drinkable with a slightly bubbly mouth. Not my favorite IPA, but somewhere in the middle of the pack.

3.38/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had a lot of DIPA and this one is middle of the road. Very drinkable, as it warms it gets slightly better. It has a great piney taste, that is a attribute that I look for in all DIPA & IPA's. With a 8.2% ABV it doesn't have that strong taste as you would think for a higher alcohol content.

3.93/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A- Poured into a small tulip glass. Light Orange/brown color. Not as cloudy- more transparent then I expected. Not much of a head. lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - Smells of Grapefruit, alcohol, leather, juniper

T - Somewhat bitter upfront. Piney, minimally sweet. tastes of alcohol, and grapefruit. Not too much on the back end. Aftertaste is strong.

M - Light feel, Foams up easily as it hits the tongue. Dry.

Overall - Not my favorite IPA, but it definitely does its job whenever I'm looking for a good, bitter IPA. I think it could use a bit more hop flavor instead of the straight bitterness that plagues most IPA's I've tried. A Bit to dry for me as well; it could use a bigger malt backing.
Overall, I think it is still better than most.

4.23/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

The beer pours a clear, orange-golden color with a thin, eggshell head settling atop the brew. Big simcoe hop aromas burst from the glass. Grapefruit, orange, and tropical fruit aromatics join slight pine resin notes and a touch toasted bread. Caramel and lightly toasted malt flavors are quickly subdued by big flavors of tropical fruit, grapefruit, lemon zest, and a touch of pepper. Very well balanced, this beer is medium-light in body with a slightly lower than expected amount of carbonation. Extremely drinkable, this beer seems to come off more as a double Pale Ale than a double Indian Pale Ale.

3.92/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a light, clear gold with a puffy white head. Head recedes slowly from an inch to a quarter inch to a white film. Lacing is heavy and carbonation more than average. Looks deceptively like a straight lager or pilsner.

Aroma: Kablamo. This is going to be bitter. Lots of floral and citrus aromas in the nose. Surprisingly little booziness considering the ABV. Some lemon and grapefruit is noticeable. Lots and lots of hops dominate the aroma.

Taste: Tastes more bitter than it smells. Lots and lots of hop bite. The complexity is right there - grapefruit dominates, but orange, lemon and grassiness are very present. It's a well executed IPA and the flavors will appeal to fans of the style. I'd call it a sipper - the hop strength is too much to session this one. Alcohol is surprisingly muted.

Mouthfeel: Good body. Drinkable but not watery. The remaining foam is pleasant on the palate as it warms.

Overall: If you like big IPAs, I feel like you've had this. If you haven't, seek it. Maybe not a beer for the casual drinker, but a must-have for IPA fans. Also a good companion for a good meal. I had this with BBQ tempeh, French fries and Brussels sprouts and it fit the bill.

3.92/5  rDev -2.2%

I am not sure this is really a Double IPA. The alcohol content suggests that it is but it does't have the full body of most DIPAs. It is very hoppy of course, but as it warms I taste a grassy flavor and pine. It finishes with carmel malty hues. Very drinkable.

4.44/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce into pint glass. WOW!!! My new favorite IPA. Big, bold, fruity, hoppy, balanced, amazing. Like a gesyer of deliciousness exploding on my palette. Mouthfeel increases the flavor as you swallow (thats what she said). Drink this beer with passion and joy because thats what Southern Tier put into this Double IPA. Cheers!

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

12 oz bottle. Pours deep golden with short lived white head and lively carbonation. Aroma is of citrusy and piney hops, biscuit malt and oranges. Body is full and tangy. Citrusy, piney hops dominate the flavor with pale malt and ripe fruit provide support. Finish is long and bitter. Very nice brew. Goes down easily despite high alcohol.

4.19/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

BOD 12/19/13. Golden pour with a very nice head and lacing that lasts. Nice nose of citrus hops (grapefruit, orange and tangerine) against a slightly sweet background. Medium bodied with a slick mouthfeel. Well carbonated so that it supports the body. The flavor profile is a well balanced blend of hop flavor, bitterness and malt sweetness. It starts with some grapefruit and pine, then the bitterness and finishes slightly sweet. The alcohol is almost completely hidden. The finish is between crisp and smooth with a lingering bitterness and tartness. An outstanding IPA, but not quite as good as Founder's Harvest, NoDa Hop Drop or Lagunita Sucks. It is, however, more complex than they.

4.6/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 oz.

Pours a clear honey gold, white lacing for a head.

Smells of honey and rich piney hops with some mild grassy malts underneath.

Flavor is of honey, maple, grapefruit, piney hops, and mix of lightly buttery and grassy malts.

Full body with mildly sudsy carbonation throughout.

A truly exceptional double IPA, if not the best then its up there. Anyone who is even moderately a fan of stronger IPAs and strong American ales owes it to themselves to try this. Probably my favorite in this family of ales ever.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

decent double IPA that hides a higher alcohol content well

aroma: malty citrus and slight chocolate

taste: citrus (mainly grapefruit), pine, orange peel, herbs, very slight tropical fruit and some light malt to balance it all.

enjoyable, solid, tasty beer that is easy to drink (especially considering the high abv) but a touch underwhelming

3.62/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured clear amber to pale orange with the fine creamy head one expects from a nitro-tap. The head was shallow, white, and long lasting, depositing a fine coating of lace on a pint glass.

The aroma was rather muted for the style, but did contain grapefruit and mandarin orange, and some resin and herbal notes.

Flavor too was muted for a double anything, but especially an IPA. This said, the grapefruit and herbal aromas translated well. Bitterness was a major player, but still less than an American IPA, much less 2XIPA should be. Malt sweetness buoys the overall flavor profile.

A medium bodies and very smooth, which is no surprise given the delivery method. Carbonation is fine a ample enough to overcome the light astringency, and the alcohol is about as one would anticipate.

This is a fine beer to be sure, and an example of how style guidelines can fail to describe the experience. I enjoyed this with friends, with a duck ruben and hearty laughter, as a cold, driving rain washed the Geneva, NY streets outside.

4.19/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- Slightly hazy, light amber color. Minimal head, but good lacing from ring.
S- Tropical fruit, some floral notes, grapefruit, pine, caramel, and fresh hop.
T- Fresh hops, tropical fruit, grapefruit, and pine over a pretty good malt backbone. Resinous aftertaste. As it warms, some earthy hop spices join the party.
M- Medium body that seems thick on the tongue, but light on the finish. Oily, resinous mouth coating. Drying. 4.5
O- I really enjoyed this beer. The more it warmed, the better it became. Nicely balanced and surprisingly complex.

3.26/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Boy, I've been looking forward to reviewing this beer for a while. Let's get to it.

This is a pleasant beer. It is nice, non-offensive, and tasty. It's not a double IPA. Since it is aggressively labeled and marketed as such, that's how she's getting reviewed - sorry.

2XIPA is a VERY good IPA. It is a POOR Double IPA. Allow me to amend that - it's an IPA; it's NOT a DIPA.

It smells like a good IPA, but the lacks maltiness, and could use more fruiness/piney-ness.

It tastes like a good IPA, but the lacks maltiness, and could use more fruiness/piney-ness.

That's about it. Now if I were to review this beer as an IPA - I'd say something about how the pleasant, almost tropical nose is followed very closely by a similar flavor profile - but I would still mention the way there's a big empty space where the bitter juiciness of a classic IPA should be. It's just missing something - brain and my nose and my belly are all for this brew but my tongue is like 'hey guys, c'mon, I want some!'

No dice, tongue.

Good beer. OK IPA. Poor DIPA. If this is a Double, Hop Drop and Roll by NoDa should be a Double, but they had the good sense to go with American IPA. Maybe I'm placing too much emphasis on labeling and marketing but, well, I'm not - certain expectations are sold along with the beer - I paid for a DIPA and received an IPA. But maybe that's just the Associates degree in design and subsequent career in marketing talking.

Full Disclosure - I've had only 3 DIPAs, but if fully 66.6% had that special malty something, and one does not, I'm going to assume that it's missing that special flavorful something which counts for quite a bit. Further disclosure: the only other Southern Tier beer I've had is Pumpking, so maybe my expectations were a tad high.

4.34/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - 4 - golden/amber color, white 1 finger head --> thick film of bubbles.
S - 4.25 - grapefruit, citrus zest, fresh.
T - 4.5 - grapefruit, pine, citrus zest, some nice malt background
M - 4.25 - light-medium, alc covered, aftertaste grapefruit, malt, bread.
O - 4.25 - It's okay, I probably overrated this one a little bit because it's one of my favorite styles. I don't think it would stand up to RuinTen, HopSlam, etc.

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Bottle > 2X IPA Glass

A - Clear yellow gold color with two fingers of soapy white head, minimal lacing
S - Huge dank pine, lots of orange marmalade, pineapple, huge grapefruit, some sour white grape, fresh cut grass, some biscuit dough.
T - Lots of sweet candy-like malt, big dank grass and pine, lots of grapefruit and lemon zest, a light grape quality on the end, cracker and biscuit malt on the finish.
M - For 8.2% you're not getting a whole lot from that, it does finish on the drier side, and is a little clingy, but considering the power of this beer, this is good.
O - This is one of my favorite reliable double IPA's of all time and is a testament to ST's brewing quality. This thing is packed with tons of flavor and aroma, and is available year round. Plus the abv is extremely well hidden in this beer.

3.82/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Well well, my first review. I've been privileged enough to try many beers, but in commitment to remembering them I feel it's important to keep some kind of record. Here goes.
Southern Tier 2x IPA
8.20% and who would have guessed? This beer is not bold. It is not ambitious. It is, however, among the most drinkable dIPAs I have encountered. Very light mouthfeel, bitter but not overwhelming. The greatest achievement of this beer is, in my mind, it's ability to hide it's alcohol content. It tastes good...it drinks easy..and that's where this brew excels. I wouldn't list this among my favorite IPAs, or even among my favorite beers. But if you are looking for a mild bark with a bite that'll set you straight, look no further.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a brilliant golden with a frothy ivory head that slowly dissipates, leaving sticky lacing.

Resin, pine, mint, fresh cut grass, muted orange and grapefruit pith form the aroma. Light skunky notes and an almost cracker-like malt add complexity.

Flavor reveals a grassy, floral backbone, with underpinnings of grapefruit and tangerine underlying bready, crackery malt. The finish is moderately bitter. Hops rule the day, and are more earthy, resiny, and grassy than citrusy. A touch of caramel emerges as it warms.

Body is moderate, with moderate carbonation and noted alcohol warmth.

Bittering hops prevail, a bit much for my tastes. Malt is only a support. The flavoring hops could be more complex, and I'd like more malt backbone for a dipa.

2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing Company